Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: French Country in Texas?

Over the years I have removed wallpaper from about 10 rooms, with varying levels of success/difficulty. It entirely depends on what kind of wallpaper over what surface with what prep - and whether the wallpaper has been painted over. In one case I just lost my temper and yanked the drywall down for one wall segment and redid the drywall, which was much less frustrating.

I don't actually believe any of the costs in this episode. That "little shack on the prairie" had been moved on to the property (in one view you could see the hitch) so this was an entirely new build, from the foundation up, with some donor materials from the shack. The renovation cost was supposedly $160,000 (plus land). The house looked to be 1,100-1,200 sf when done, which means a construction cost of about $140 per sf.  That is about average in the US, although I suspect, in this case, they had to update water and sewer as well, because I don't think the original shack was connected to anything.

Edited by WildPlum

Oh, I didn't realized Behind the Design was on too, I was under the impression the preview would be during Fixer Upper & I didn't know what happened to it. I'll have to find it & watch.

6 hours ago, tobeannounced said:

I'm in Houston, TX, and I just could not believe that that family would have their dining room table out on the porch. Between the heat and the mosquitoes, there's probably only a few months a year when that would be anything but miserable, especially without a screen.

Someone upthread mentioned back-to-back shows. I only got the usual one-hour show on my DVR. What did I miss?

To be fair, Houston and Waco have fairly different climates.  Waco just doesn't have the humidity that Houston does.  We sit on our porch most nights in Austin, even in the sunmer, and Waco has even more of a dry heat then us.  Mosquitos will kill you, but there are ways around that.

• Love 3

My DVR didn't pick up Behind the Design, but you know, if they'd cut out the extraneous crap like the extended time with the kids and Chip being Chip, they might actually have time to show the behind the scenes activity during the main show.  But then they wouldn't have the chance to extend the Magnolia empire.  

4 hours ago, WildPlum said:

Over the years I have removed wallpaper from about 10 rooms, with varying levels of success/difficulty. It entirely depends on what kind of wallpaper over what surface with what prep - and whether the wallpaper has been painted over. In one case I just lost my temper and yanked the drywall down for one wall segment and redid the drywall, which was much less frustrating.

The first house I owned had a hallway that had been papered, walls and ceiling, in National Geographic maps.  Because it wasn't real wallpaper, it had been glued on, and removing it was an incredible bitch that took months of frustrating effort.  Yanking down the drywall would have been faster and easier.

• Love 4

Being in Cali myself, I can tell you I wouldn't mind a screened in porch. As it is right now we have to start keeping an eye around the house for wasps making nests (which one was trying to on our porch). Plus we have mosquito as well to deal with and all the other pests no one wants to have flying around them if they are sitting on a porch. Yet its just not something you really see done out this way for whatever reason. So this couple could just be able to deal with it being as is. 

• Love 2

We have a dining room and we use it for actually eating maybe twice per year.  They have an eating space on the island, so they aren't sitting on the floor.  I love the idea of an eating porch;  when I get my dream house I'm gonna do it!  And I live in Dallas, mosquitos aren't bad at the dining hour (mosquitos come out at night)-- but it sure is HOT in the summer.  I don't think I'd be dining al fresco in July-September ? 

Eta: DIRECTV has "behind the design" on demand.

Edited by StrictTime
Additional info
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, StrictTime said:

We have a dining room and we use it for actually eating maybe twice per year.  They have an eating space on the island, so they aren't sitting on the floor.  I love the idea of an eating porch;  when I get my dream house I'm gonna do it!  And I live in Dallas, mosquitos aren't bad at the dining hour (mosquitos come out at night)-- but it sure is HOT in the summer.  I don't think I'd be dining al fresco in July-September ? 

What is suppose to be our dining room we turned into the main living space instead. It works better for us that way and we would never us a dining room ourselves. Our kitchen is and what is suppose to be the dining room are all open to each other and the middle of the house basically. The kitchen has a sort of island type thing with the stove top on it and then a little lower around the backside and on the side with no wall there is a counter for people to eat at if they wanted. It works for us and our family. I think sometimes people forget that not everyone uses a dining room all the time. Even growing up we never did unless it was the holidays. My friend doesn't even have a space really for a dining room in her house because of the size. Which its just her and husband so no biggie to her. I will never understand the need for a formal and informal dining rooms but there are those that seem to want both. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Jellybeans said:

The outside dining room... I wonder why they did not install two fans instead of the light fixture.  It was gorgeous but ceiling fans really do a good job of keeping bugs away.

or even a fan light. Not the tacky kind but the kind that's half tacky. LOL!!!

Fan.jpg

• Love 3

I recently watched a show called "Home Town."  It's a realy take-off of Fixer Upper.  A couple somewhere in the South helps people redo houses that need a lot of help.  They don't have the charm of Chip and Jo, but they do a good job.  They also don't have kids that they bring on the show.  :o)

I watched an episode of Home Town last night and I really loved it.  The couple, Erin and Ben, live in Laurel, MS.  Ben isn't as goofy as Chip and Erin is not quite as serious as Jo.  I loved the house they did and I really like their personalities so I'll be tuning in. 

Regarding the latest Fixer Upper, I liked how the Little Shack on the Prairie turned out.  The kids' rooms were cute and everything else seemed exactly as the couple wanted it.  The outside dining space was gorgeous but I think I would have asked for it to be screened in or even glassed in, with the option to open the windows.  

• Love 1

I obviously missed something significant: There's storage above the island, but were those huge shelves designed to be lowered?  Even if they were, for me that's just not practical.  As I say, maybe I zoned out during that explanation.  I liked the Little Shack a lot, but with two more children that's not a ton of space.

• Love 1

I just watched the Behind the Design show about the shack. It was interesting, but at one point (before they asked for the additional bedroom) they showed the plans of the house, & there were only 2 bathrooms. One in the master suite, & one for the kids. That is not enough bathrooms for 4 people, & what if they have company? Anyone who wants to use the bathroom is going to have to go through somebody's bedroom. I hope they added more bathrooms, because with the addition of two more kids, they are going to need it.

On 3/29/2017 at 3:52 AM, GaT said:

Supposedly they turned the original house into the living room/kitchen area & added on to it, so I don't know. I also wonder what they did about bathrooms, they showed the master bathroom, but a family that size would need at least 1 1/2 more bathrooms.

There was a jack and jill bathroom between the kids' bedrooms

• Love 2

Since they were effectively building their own house, I would have customized things a little more.  That house didn't look near big enough for 4 kids, likely pets, the parents, guests, etc.

I thought it was interesting that the Fixer Upper TV producer was putting down such strong roots in Crawford, TX.  Chip and Jo must have convinced him that they wanted the show/brand to last forever.  If Fixer Upper ever ends, I see that family on the first plane back to LA to look for work.  I know on other reality shows, the producers and film crew only stay as long as filming needs then they go back to California to look for more work since more seasons aren't always guaranteed.

I'm still perplexed by this season.  It seems like the homeowner pool is getting smaller and smaller while Waco's growth continues to boom.  This is 3 or 4 episodes now that have featured no homeowners or show-adjacent homeowners.  I know Chip and Jo said they were screening applicants more closely for the AirBNB fakers, but it gives the impression they are scrapping the barrel.  I wonder what next season is going to look like after they had the Buzzfeed hit piece.

5 hours ago, GaT said:

I just watched the Behind the Design show about the shack. It was interesting, but at one point (before they asked for the additional bedroom) they showed the plans of the house, & there were only 2 bathrooms. One in the master suite, & one for the kids. That is not enough bathrooms for 4 people, & what if they have company? 

More affirmation that I am old.  I grew up in a household of seven and we had one bathroom.  I admit it did create some logistical problems at the time, but on the whole I find two bathrooms for four people a veritable plethora of plumbing.

• Love 11
1 minute ago, meowmommy said:

More affirmation that I am old.  I grew up in a household of seven and we had one bathroom.  I admit it did create some logistical problems at the time, but on the whole I find two bathrooms for four people a veritable plethora of plumbing.

One bathroom for seven people??????? Yikes, it's just me & my spouse here & we have 3 full bathrooms.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, GaT said:

One bathroom for seven people??????? Yikes, it's just me & my spouse here & we have 3 full bathrooms.

Now perhaps I was more traumatized than I realize, because my current house has three bathrooms for one human and one feline.  He drinks out of the toilet in two of them.

• Love 6
On 3/29/2017 at 7:56 PM, StrictTime said:

I'm in Fort Worth, was in Dallas for 10 years before. I am apparently the tastiest thing bitey bugs ever tried! I have to coat myself w/ repellent to go outside. I grew up in Pennsylvania with a screened-in porch, and I want one again!  It's too hot before sunset to be outside, and too buggy at night!

On bathrooms - we have 3, and are 2 people. 

• Love 2

I obviously missed something significant: There's storage above the island, but were those huge shelves designed to be lowered?  Even if they were, for me that's just not practical.

Designers don't care if things are practical!  They just want things to look the way they want them to look.  (No offense to designers who may be reading this.)

I ALWAYS think about how the heck will you clean something like that, not to mention access the stuff.  Ridiculous.

• Love 4

I think the buyers have some input.  I would love the black shelving... I have had impractical design choices in a home before.  It is a pain but for me, it was worth it.

Now if I were going to have twins....I don't know if I would say the same thing.

• Love 1
On 4/12/2017 at 0:07 PM, saylubee said:

The barndominium is now for sale for $1.2 million.

http://www.realtor.com/news/trends/fixer-upper-barndominium-for-sale/

“We are going to be more strict with our contracts involving ‘Fixer Upper’ clients moving forward,” Brock Murphy, a spokesman for Magnolia, the Gaines’ company, said in a statement.

I don't know what they think they can do, the clients aren't the ones who were renting it out, they sold it to someone else who is renting it out. I don't think they can control the property for eternity, it sounds like what Nicole Curtis is always trying to do.

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, GaT said:

I don't know what they think they can do, the clients aren't the ones who were renting it out, they sold it to someone else who is renting it out. I don't think they can control the property for eternity, it sounds like what Nicole Curtis is always trying to do.

Chip & Jo and their lawyers can control their side of the renovation.  The homeowners are compensated for the reno to the tune of thousands of dollars in free labor.  Generally on these home shows, the home owner pays for parts and individual subcontractors.  The main crew is paid by HGTV/production company.  Chip & Jo could absolutely dictate terms of the agreement for the families receiving the free labor in terms of "Want to rent this out?  Pay us back X.  Need to sell in less then five years?  Pay us back Y.  Want no restrictions?  Pay us full price."

But as far as preventing subsequent future owners from renting the place, the only thing Chip and Jo can do is serve them with a cease and desist on using the Magnolia/Fixer Upper name in advertising.

Nicole Curtis tries to modify the deeds usually by qualifying for protected historical statuses that come with their own sets of do's and don'ts. Chip and Jo never own the property so they don't have that option.  Plus Jo usually ruins any historical features left so that the properties would never qualify.

• Love 2

Sounds to me like the lady that bought from those it was originally done for thought she would make a killing off it by using their names. Now because she not only has Chip and Jo not happy she was using their names but the the neighbors in the area as well are not happy she was setting it up as an AirB&B so she figured she would try to sell it for over a mil. Anyone that will even give her half that amount is an idiot IMO. I don't blame Chip and Jo for wanting some sort of restrictions in contracts for the homes done on this show. Otherwise all you end up with is a bunch of people hoping to use it to make some money of it. Obviously some people can't predict the future and see that within so many months, a year or more that jobs might change and they have to move but those buying those homes shouldn't be turning around trying to buy it in hopes of making a profit as well by renting it out. You can't use someone's name or business without permission. That is where the issue comes into play more then anything I think. As well as those living around those homes are not going to want to live around rentals either. I know where I am its not allowed to set up rentals like that. Long term are fine but if you try to have an AirB&B forget it. Many other cities have done the same here as well. IMO for good reason too. 

• Love 5
On 4/14/2017 at 6:06 PM, Jellybeans said:

Man, if I were lucky enough to get Chip and Jo to build me a house I would NEVER leave!  

Well, here's your chance. LOL!!!!!

Be in the process of buying/or plan on buying a home within 40 miles of Waco, Texas.

Be outgoing, energetic, and fun!

Be in need of expert design and construction help for your new fixer upper home.

Have a minimum $30,000 budget for the renovation.

Must be 21 years of age or older to apply.

Submit an online application form.

To apply visit:

https://fixerupper.castingcrane.com/

Too bad I live Philadelphia. Maybe, they meant 400,000 miles. LOL!!!

• Love 1

I like the houseboat renovation, and the shack.  I find it boring when they do more pricey houses that are in overall good shape.   I like to see something shitty turned nice.

but man, I hate that IKEA looking metal railing Jo uses so much. 

• Love 2

Just watched the 1/3/2017 episode, Retiring to the Country.  I liked the exterior renovation of the wrap around porch and the pergola in the backyard.  The console tables in the hallway that were constructed from wood that was headed to the burn pile were tables that I felt fit the country Texas feel of the home.  A lot of work went into completely flipping the floor plan of this home, and I think it was one of the better renovations from Chip and Jo.  The three French doors that were added to the living space added so much light.  

• Love 2
On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 0:29 AM, Mu Shu said:

Especially if you've just eaten corn nuts.

Oh my Heathers!  You must be a Gen-Xer.  :)  I obviously don't check in here often, but this gave me a chuckle. Thanks for the laugh! 

• Love 2

Just watched the Graham family episode, Vietnam vet, older couple, wife in a wheelchair, just out of the hospital. Must be someone cutting onions around here, of its allergy season, because I've got tears. 

Only thing I couldn't figure out was not having a ramp to the front door instead of steps. And there was a lot of wood flooring, I have visions of broken hips. 

3 hours ago, dbell1 said:

Just watched the Graham family episode, Vietnam vet, older couple, wife in a wheelchair, just out of the hospital. Must be someone cutting onions around here, of its allergy season, because I've got tears. 

Only thing I couldn't figure out was not having a ramp to the front door instead of steps. And there was a lot of wood flooring, I have visions of broken hips. 

Um, the wife died before the episode aired.

So I was in a store yesterday and idly picked up a nice, small throw pillow to look at. Nothing super interesting, but cute...blue textured fabric on one side, probably a cotton blend. Then I saw a Magnolia Farms label.

Then I saw the price...$79 bucks.

Good grief.

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, saylubee said:

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/city_of_waco/former-magnolia-partners-allege-fraud-sue-chip-gaines/article_7103f606-e1cb-5520-b430-1da8e816cf56.html

Chip is getting sued by his former business partners.  Apparently he forced them to sell their shares without telling them that "Fixer Upper" had been turned into a show on HGTV. Ruh roh.

I think its a joke. They could have still done the show even if these 2 guys didn't sell their shares in it. They wanted Chip and Jo not the business. It sounds to me like 2 guys looking for a quick buck to make. I am sure HGTV wasn't giving them much when they did the season..maybe first 2 seasons. I don't think they knew how it would end up themselves so its not like they could have said back then hey we will buy you out for a higher price. The 2 guys had an option and they took the money offered at the time. Now are pissed thinking they would have gotten in on all this money and fame from HGTV as well but not really looking at the picture of the fact that they were not the ones wanted by HGTV. I also saw some lady was trying to sue them for hitting her head at the store and it caused her such medical issues she needs $100-200k. *rollseyes* Shame people don't take responsibility for their own crap and just watch where they go. 

• Love 11
On 4/27/2017 at 6:23 PM, saylubee said:

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/city_of_waco/former-magnolia-partners-allege-fraud-sue-chip-gaines/article_7103f606-e1cb-5520-b430-1da8e816cf56.html

Chip is getting sued by his former business partners.  Apparently he forced them to sell their shares without telling them that "Fixer Upper" had been turned into a show on HGTV. Ruh roh.

Ooooh, juicy!  The best part (IMHO) is that the suit was filed by two guys named Lewis & Clark.  Heh.

• Love 5

This S4E8 episode where a couple's NFL son offers $100K to help with the renovation is a perfect example of Joanna not incorporating the client's own things. C&J were told that the couple loves displaying their kids and grandkids' trophies, so they put in built-ins, but completely missed an opportunity to add an emotional and sentimental punch by getting some of those family trophies to decorate the built-ins. Instead, Joanna put in her own farmhouse knick-knacks and tchotchkes. It's like they hit the ball into the stands, but in the foul zone.

• Love 2

I do like her overall aesthetic, but The Inspirational Quote School of Kitsch Art is on my last nerve. 

That and bringing home puppies in multiples as a "surprise." Two of them were Great Pyrenees and two others looked like bloodhounds...those aren't easy breeds especially with four kids in the house to focus on.

I'm hoping that was made-for-teevee cuteness and the pups were only on loan long enough to get the cuteness on film.

• Love 3
(edited)

Okay, so they were coonhounds, not bloodhounds...but according to this, they just let their dogs roam.

http://radaronline.com/celebrity-news/chip-gaines-arrested-joanna-gaines-arrest-warrant-unpaid-animal-tickets-fixer-upper/

I have ZERO use for irresponsible pet owners. None.

P.S. Sounds like this might have been a few years ago, so maybe they learned something but I doubt it. 

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 2

They aren't saying when it happened but I am taking it that its before the reality business and they had kids with their farm they have now. I have to wonder why someone is digging around so much to try to do whatever they can to make them look bad though? This is just silly of all things too. I am one of those that can NOT stand someone that doesn't put their dogs on leashes and sick to death of people taking them all over with them as well. I've had my fair share of issues with owners that don't follow laws. I am not sure how it is in other places but here we do have a leash law. Sadly idiots don't always follow the laws as they should. ..even simple ones like this.

• Love 3

Honestly doesn't surprise me on them being expensive. Its a shame though that they are because I am sure they have many that watch the show who would buy their things if they weren't so much. I know I saw some of the stuff on Bed, Bath and Beyond and its just not my style/colors but I couldn't get past the prices even if it was. I wonder if she is pricing or getting advised on it. I have no clue how that all works. 

• Love 3

My husband and I started watching this show recently and finally finished every episode. We like Joanna and Chip but to me her style is getting really tiresome and repetitive. The thing that drives me the most crazy is how OBSESSED with white she is. It's always way, way too much white. If you have white moulding, you need to do a color for the walls and probably the cabinets too. Her designs especially in the kitchen and bathrooms end up looking like insane asylums. That one client who was like "I hate white cabinets." And then the cabinets were like....ivory? Seriously? Then in the last episode of this season when her design assistant suggested those wood open cabinets, Joanna's like "No...I like white." ON AN ALREADY WHITE WALL. One of the houses we liked the most was that small cape for the young woman and her foster/adopted child. We actually loved that green paint color in the living room. I liked how originally the bedroom was supposed to be green too but Joanna couldn't handle that much color.

Her other problem is she is SO focused on making rooms for young kids but doesn't think about when they get older. Like that hatchway in the last episode between the two kids' rooms or built specifically for that room bunk beds. Like - those are going to be useless and stupid in 10 years.

I read the article upwards and not surprised to see the shotgun house is being used as a rental. We HATED that house and could not honestly believe a couple with THREE large dogs were going to live there. Are you kidding me? Especially with the loft balcony thing and those awful stairs? I was getting twitchy just watching the episode thinking about how pet-unfriendly it was.

I also hate how she only uses metal railings for stairs, never wood. One thing I really despised as well was the bacon wall in the master bedroom at PawPaw's house. Thought it was hideous. Just straight up looked like bacon.

We think Chip is funny though so YMMV.

• Love 2

Chip's shtick was pretty annoying to me but hey, reality television has turned better men than him into a freak show, so whatever. Show me the pretty house and I'll ignore him.

Then last night I saw the clip show. First, the MAN ATE A COCKROACH. Okay, bad enough. But then watching him shove that shed snakeskin down his maw...AND THEN SPIT IT EVER SO SLOWLY BACK OUT????

Nightmares. Nasty, nasty, nasty. He's like the bratty little kid next door who won't stop screaming and always has his hand down his pants.

No. Just no.

• Love 5
On 5/2/2017 at 9:05 PM, Automne said:

This S4E8 episode where a couple's NFL son offers $100K to help with the renovation is a perfect example of Joanna not incorporating the client's own things. C&J were told that the couple loves displaying their kids and grandkids' trophies, so they put in built-ins, but completely missed an opportunity to add an emotional and sentimental punch by getting some of those family trophies to decorate the built-ins. Instead, Joanna put in her own farmhouse knick-knacks and tchotchkes. It's like they hit the ball into the stands, but in the foul zone.

I thought that the houses were just staged with Magnolia Farms stuff for the reveal and weren't a part of what they kept in house. The only piece(s) that the made-over house owners get to keep are the one custom made by the carpenter they always use. I guess if the owners pay for it, they can keep it, but at $79 for one simple throw pillow, it would be super expensive. Especially if "your all-in's budget" is 30K.  

• Love 3