Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: French Country in Texas?

7 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I've been marathoning the 3 seasons they have on Hulu and have questions:

They only ever show them renovating the main rooms and the master bedroom and bath. What about the kids rooms or other rooms? I assume they do them too or do they just leave them for someone else?

If they have extra money to give them 3 options, why don't they use that when the inevitable problem with flooring, electrical or whatever comes up? Or is that from a separate fund?

Exactly! I guess there wouldn't be any "drama" then, though. I haven't watched in a while but it seems they spend every single cent. The Magnolia crap is just for the reveal, right? 

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

They only ever show them renovating the main rooms and the master bedroom and bath. What about the kids rooms or other rooms? I assume they do them too or do they just leave them for someone else?

If they have extra money to give them 3 options, why don't they use that when the inevitable problem with flooring, electrical or whatever comes up? Or is that from a separate fund?

Jo has said it depends on the homeowner whether they do the extra rooms.  Sometimes it’s just paint and flooring to match the rest of the house, sometimes Magnolia is contracted to come out later to renovate those rooms, and sometimes the rooms themselves aren’t in bad shape and are kept as is.

The “3 things” was originally provided by HGTV to the homeowner.  So is anything made by Clint/Jimmy Don/etc.  They’ve seemed to move away from the “3 things” in the later seasons though, but it’s very possible we’re just not seeing the decision-making process anymore.

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 9:35 AM, Writing Wrongs said:

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 5:12 PM, PuhLeeze said:

Exactly! I guess there wouldn't be any "drama" then, though. I haven't watched in a while but it seems they spend every single cent. The Magnolia crap is just for the reveal, right? 

11 hours ago, saylubee said:

Jo has said it depends on the homeowner whether they do the extra rooms.  Sometimes it’s just paint and flooring to match the rest of the house, sometimes Magnolia is contracted to come out later to renovate those rooms, and sometimes the rooms themselves aren’t in bad shape and are kept as is.

The “3 things” was originally provided by HGTV to the homeowner.  So is anything made by Clint/Jimmy Don/etc.  They’ve seemed to move away from the “3 things” in the later seasons though, but it’s very possible we’re just not seeing the decision-making process anymore.

Sorry to reply to everyone but the questions were similar.

What I've read over the years, from participants, Chip/Jo, etc. is the following:

The add'l rooms are worked on if the h/o desires it and has the $$$ to cover it.

The 3 options routine was staged for the show to amp up the drama, adding a game show aspect.  Haven't ever read or heard that HGTV / the production company was covering that cost.*

WRT the later electrical or whatever add'l issues come up ... like pretty much any other reality tv renovation show, those issues come from the inspection.  They know about them in advance but similar to the "3 options" routine, it's staged for the dramatic effect.

About "Magnolia" coming out later, there isn't really a "Magnolia Construction" company.  Chip's admitted he wasn't a g/c.  (In TX, I understand it's not required as long as the major work, e.g. plumbing, electrical, etc. is all subbed out.)  It's basically Chip (now his staff) hiring subs.

Incidentally, Chip doesn't work as a realtor, either.  He got his license about a year ago, after they'd already done the show for a couple of years, probably to satisfy any nosy viewers who pull the records - uh, like me, lol.

*ETA- Might have heard this once, prior to today but not from an official source.  In general, Chip/Jo claim the homeowners don't receive the 20-30K between design/contractor/merchandise contributed by other shows.  They do receive the design, obviously, so it's probably a fairly large 1099 form from that, alone.

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 2
On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:10 AM, MrPissyPuppy said:

The article calls him their former pastor, so it wasn't like a first meeting.   But still ... yeah.  

That was sure a tiny sitting area in the living room/den that they did last night for the opera singer family.   Very awkward layout with the fireplace in the corner by the french doors - not sure where a tv would go, but perhaps they're not a tv watching family.  

Unless the family uses their house differently, I didn't feel like that floor plan worked.  Decided it's because that home basically didn't have a d/r but Jo staged one.  That front room, the one shrunk by the design, was intended to be the l/r.

I believe, although it wasn't super visible from the camera angles, that they can place a TV on the wall between the d/r and fam room, kinda behind that first chair.  They might need a swing arm for easier viewing.  Or, perhaps the d/r becomes a TV room?  (Eat-in option, below.)

Chip was out to lunch (for me, anyway) when he uttered his std line about "dinner parties around the island"!  Uh, it only had an overhang on the narrow sides - meaning only 4 chairs fit, at a fair distance away from each other.  Yuch!  Plus, the family room was too narrow to place chairs on that side.

Instead of the d/r, these people might prefer an eat-in area - perhaps in front of the f/p?  Maybe shift the furniture down a smidge?  Too bad the island was that large, placed in that location.  

And the narrow music room?  As a masters' student, the guy might want an actual desk, occasionally.  Hope the master has room, lol.

The exterior / curb appeal was great.  Went downhill, for me, after that.  Not sure it'll work for this family.  Hope they didn't put too much ($$$) in for their neighborhood.  Seems like they might relocate after he finishes up at Baylor.

Edited by aguabella

I just realized that jo has no design skills above an IKEA showroom.  Every damn cabinet , even if it’s sturdy and a classic design must be ripped out for a “new cabinet package”.  Every last fireplace has to be ripped out and redone in the blandest way.   Perfectly good and new laminate flooring must make way for “genuine wood”. Or vintage wood is ripped out because it’s “dated”.    Exposed natural brick is hot in the northeast and Chicago, but Jo must paint it, usually a dull unremarkable white.They must make a hefty markup on materials.  They sure don’t try to save any money. 

I saw the Jimmy Don kid in the woods.  The house looked just like the houseboat.  If any house just needed some small cosmetic changes, that was it.  Or it’s not really for a kid.  What does Jo have against working with serviceable homes that need paint and imagination?  If my kid whined that he needed a new cabinet package in a home with perfectly good cabinets, I’d whack him upside the head with some white paint and brushed nickel handles.    But of course he didn’t whine, jo can only work in a gray/white/dingy gray white palette, and can’t work with existing features.   She’s dull and has no imagination, IMO.  Damn, I used to love her.  Enough of this damn show!

and guess what was on tonight?  PattyBaker!! Patty baker, who was looking for a forever home!  Who apparently sold the house before the new gray/white/dingy gray white paint had dried.  They even put her fucking name on plates!  I’m sitting here waving my  little T. rex arms and roaring like a dinosaur with displeasure! 

Edited by Mu Shu
  • Love 8

Just a quick post about the Country Club house. I'm still not sure where the basketball/tennis court is in relationship to the house? Is it in the front hiding the house from the street? I did love the sidelights and transoms that Jo added between the two rooms...felt right. And what the heck is point in putting books in a bookcase backwards? She has done this before and I still don't get it!L last but not least, I love Shorty! I bet he would be fun to work with.

Edited by suebee12
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, suebee12 said:

And what the heck is point in putting books in a bookcase backwards? She has done this before and I still don't get it!L last but not least, I love Shorty! I bet he would be fun to work with.

This is a new trend, & incredibly stupid IMO.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, GaT said:

This is a new trend, & incredibly stupid IMO.

You are right about that! These must be non-readers. When I moved, I had to clear out my books because I had so many and I think my son, book lover that is, my son might not have wanted all of those boxes and the weight to move. I donated them to the Little Free Library.https://littlefreelibrary.org/.  If you have a box in your town, you might avail yourself of this service. Then I realized that since I worked in a small family type store, I made my own "give away" library. The books went to good homes which made me happy! I, of course, kept my favorites and signed books but since all of my reading is now on a Kindle, it didn't hurt quite as much. I must say though, all the bindings of my books showed!

• Love 2

Re: backwards books--This is why this whole thing started.  If the titles are visible, either in print medium or broadcast, the publishers have the right to ask for compensation from the magazine/broadcaster for using their intellectual property.  It's not a "trend" and it's not stupid.  Just how thing are these days legally. Yes, some idiot people think that it's a design trend, because that's the way they see it in a magazine or design show.  They just don't realize that it's not the way poeple really live with the bookshelves day to day.

I loved everything about the Club House.  Of all the properties that the Gaineses have done, it's the one I'm most envious of.  I love single story, painted brick houses from that era.  I have an early 2000s two story and will never have a two-story again.  It's time for me to rip out my kitchen and bathrooms (can't salvage the cabinets because they are MDF --basically paper--and can't be repainted) and I can see myself using this house as an inspiration.  Loved the gas lamps;  reminds me of  NOLA, one of my favorite cities.

Edited by StrictTime
  • Love 1

They can’t just use a few books and blur out the titles?  And why bother when you could just get a little stand up sign that says “eat”, or “nanas kitchen”, or some stupid clock that doesn’t work, or a rusty ass minature bike?

Maybe one of those books is about design.  Jo should turn one around and see.  She needs it. 

• Love 7

My Community Outreach group decided to collect books from members and then sell them to raise funds for our charities. It was one of those "good in theory" ideas. No problems getting books, hard to sell them, even at deep discounts (50 cents for a paperback). We ended up selling a lot of them to designers who bought them by the foot of shelf space for their staging.

• Love 2

Overall, the house turned out really nice. The dinning room was pretty. I didn’t like inlay tile in the entry way and I didn’t care for Clint’s coffee table. I always love his work but the coffee table just looked like plywood with antique legs. 

• Love 1

Whoa ... that was some renovation budget!  I'm more interested in seeing what can be done with less money available and, in this case, can't believe $400,000 was spent.  I agree about Clint's coffee table .. not up to his usual standard.  

• Love 1

IMO, this was the most bland house with the most bland owners with the most bland designer in history! Not a bit of color! Not a bit of personality to be found. Wow! Am I ever glad this show is on its final legs. The only redeeming part of the show anymore is Shorty. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Kapaluakids said:

IMO, this was the most bland house with the most bland owners with the most bland designer in history! Not a bit of color! Not a bit of personality to be found. Wow! Am I ever glad this show is on its final legs. The only redeeming part of the show anymore is Shorty. 

I agree the couple was very low energy. They were almost comatose with their meeting with Joanna & with the final reveal. I guess with a $400,000 budget it’s another day at the office for them.

• Love 2
On 2/7/2018 at 11:28 AM, StrictTime said:

Re: backwards books--This is why this whole thing started.  If the titles are visible, either in print medium or broadcast, the publishers have the right to ask for compensation from the magazine/broadcaster for using their intellectual property.  It's not a "trend" and it's not stupid.  Just how thing are these days legally. Yes, some idiot people think that it's a design trend, because that's the way they see it in a magazine or design show.  They just don't realize that it's not the way poeple really live with the bookshelves day to day.

I can’t tell you how relieved I am. I’m a devotee of the KonMari school of life and one of their suggestions is to minimize labels and other printed “noise.” Recently a photo of Marie Kondo in her office showed all her books turned around, and I thought the poor thing had gone totally off her rocker, trying to hide book-spine noise!!! Unexpectedly glad to know it’s a legal thing.

Edited by BckpckFullaNinjas
  • Love 1

I really feel jo thinks the book spines conflict with her beige upon dirty white meets gray design esthetic.  

Funny, I was looking at photos of New York apartments in the Dakota building.  Not one book turned backwards, and there were many of them.  You couldn’t make out the titles.  

Jo uses books as design, and her design is pablum bland. If FU hadn’t taken off, she would be working in an Ikea showroom.  No imagination to speak of.  

• Love 5

Jo is definitely a one trick pony. Have you noticed on the very few episodes where she uses color, she makes certain that you know that it wasn’t her idea. Like her sister’s house: she stated at least four times that her sister really liked teal. And the foster mother’s house a few seasons ago: she stated multiple times that the green walls were the client’s idea. She has no grasp of colors and patterns. I agree that she would be lucky to work at IKEA but for FU. 

• Love 4

I'm confused about the Copp house in that the interior was just the framing.  Had the previous owners been in the midst of a renovation when  they sold?  Also, Joanna told the Copps that they would get all new cabinets in the kitchen and I was "is she even paying attention to her own show?  Of course they're getting all new cabinets-the house is only a shell, there is NO kitchen..."  However, I have to admit that my grumpy heart softened when the boys were so delighted with everything!  I also laughed when Chip was talking with Tim Tebow as Chip looked like a kid next to Tim.

• Love 1

I just want to add though that I really used to like this show. It had a good premise with the taking the worst house in the best neighborhood goal. I think that Jo’s limited repertoire and Chip’s goofy schtick kind of killed it for me. The kids are charming, but I think that they’ve reached the ages where it’s not fun anymore. Glad to see that they’re pulling the plug especially with baby number five on the way. They are so enterprising though that I doubt we’ve seen the last of Jo and Chip. Best of luck to their whole family. 

• Love 5

@seacliffsal I watched that episode today with my parents. I had to wonder why Jo said that, when the house was pretty much bare.

I never even knew "Reality TV" programs were part of previously(dot)tv! So I will definitely keep my eyes more peeled whenever I watch the show.

As for the children, I notice the oldest boy is kind of grumpy. I mean, he's gotta be what? 13? 14? So he probably could care less about being on the show and wants to do what any boy his age is doing, you know? The other boy, who I thought was around 10 but looks 7 (never could tell the order of birth for the kids) didn't seem like he knew what he was doing in front of the camera. It was like he was actually reading lines printed in the background, behind the camera.

What really bugs me about the show is Chip. He just acts so childish and immature and throws out these sexual innuendos every so often. The oldest boy is more mature than him, which is pretty sad. Because I always thought fourteen year olds were supposed to be childish and immature, throwing out sexual innuendos. But they must do it differently in Texas.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, kinnej5 said:

@seacliffsal I watched that episode today with my parents. I had to wonder why Jo said that, when the house was pretty much bare.

I never even knew "Reality TV" programs were part of previously(dot)tv! So I will definitely keep my eyes more peeled whenever I watch the show.

As for the children, I notice the oldest boy is kind of grumpy. I mean, he's gotta be what? 13? 14? So he probably could care less about being on the show and wants to do what any boy his age is doing, you know? The other boy, who I thought was around 10 but looks 7 (never could tell the order of birth for the kids) didn't seem like he knew what he was doing in front of the camera. It was like he was actually reading lines printed in the background, behind the camera.

What really bugs me about the show is Chip. He just acts so childish and immature and throws out these sexual innuendos every so often. The oldest boy is more mature than him, which is pretty sad. Because I always thought fourteen year olds were supposed to be childish and immature, throwing out sexual innuendos. But they must do it differently in Texas.

Exactly the reason I stopped watching. Chip's an immature jerk that dominates his wife. And worse yet she let's him.

• Love 5
On 2/7/2018 at 12:28 PM, StrictTime said:

I loved everything about the Club House.  Of all the properties that the Gaineses have done, it's the one I'm most envious of.  I love single story, painted brick houses from that era.  I have an early 2000s two story and will never have a two-story again.  It's time for me to rip out my kitchen and bathrooms (can't salvage the cabinets because they are MDF --basically paper--and can't be repainted) and I can see myself using this house as an inspiration.  Loved the gas lamps;  reminds me of  NOLA, one of my favorite cities.

I know people who put their books in backwards because they like the look of the cream colored pages. It is a stupid idea.

On 2/9/2018 at 12:43 AM, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

I can’t tell you how relieved I am. I’m a devotee of the KonMari school of life and one of their suggestions is to minimize labels and other printed “noise.” Recently a photo of Marie Kondo in her office showed all her books turned around, and I thought the poor thing had gone totally off her rocker, trying to hide book-spine noise!!! Unexpectedly glad to know it’s a legal thing.

I think she like the bland look of the pages rather than the noise of colors.

• Love 2
On 2/9/2018 at 8:00 PM, Kapaluakids said:

I just want to add though that I really used to like this show. It had a good premise with the taking the worst house in the best neighborhood goal. I think that Jo’s limited repertoire and Chip’s goofy schtick kind of killed it for me. The kids are charming, but I think that they’ve reached the ages where it’s not fun anymore. Glad to see that they’re pulling the plug especially with baby number five on the way. They are so enterprising though that I doubt we’ve seen the last of Jo and Chip. Best of luck to their whole family. 

They're going nowhere.  When FixUpp concludes, their design program will have its first season in the same time slot.  So, that's another 13 - 18 weeks.

In addition, they're apparently negotiating another show - possibly a talk show.  No, not HGTV.

On 2/10/2018 at 5:58 PM, kinnej5 said:

The older son's always disinterested.  Everyone see him pitching at Little League?  Made me wonder if Chip's the pushy parent.  Or the team's coach?  Didn't he play baseball at Baylor?  When they divvied up the games, not surprised that Chip went to his game,

Anyone else think the younger one was a little rude and disrespectful, making that joke about Shorty in a skirt?  Sure, I understand Shorty's (supposedly)  been around the family but don't those kids always address other adults as Mr. or Mrs. So and So?

When he recited that canned joke, I remember thinking, "Oh, that was supposed to be funny"  and "I'm supposed to laugh" but I didn't.  

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 1

Their new “Behind the Design” show may be starting soon, but I won’t be watching it, that’s for certain. They previewed the show last season, and I was so bored by it that I quit watching. Jo’s designs are so uninspired and monotonous that I can’t bear to watch the show about them. Just freed up my Tuesday nights!

• Love 4
16 hours ago, retired watcher said:

I think she like the bland look of the pages rather than the noise of colors.

You’re probably right. She seems to have a low threshold for too much visual stimulation. That said, I’m forever in her debt for her system, which has changed my life SO much for the better!  

12 hours ago, aguabella said:

In addition, they're apparently negotiating another show - possibly a talk show.  No, not HGTV.

Merciful heavens. I was gonna ask “Who'd watch that?” but then I recalled an IRL friend who got seriously agitated when I criticized the Gaines. This woman considers them the very model of a loving Christian marriage and thinks their products are *IT.*

What’s curious is, her own marriage was one long nightmare of abuse (he’s dead now, died angry) and her home, which is very well done and nice, is full of knickknacks, holy pictures, pretty pictures, crafts, lots of colors, textures, patterns—-!!! —- precisely 180* from Joprah’s bare, white style. 

The fan-love is strong with some. And I like my friend, so we don’t discuss HGTV. She had less than no interest in trying out Home Town, eg.! 

• Love 1

Usually Chip bugs but I was LMAO a few minutes ago. During a talking head he stood just a tad behind Jo, holding his tape measure like it was a flask. While she spoke he discreetly unscrewed the lid on his flask, took a moderate and gentlemanly swallow, and screwed the lid back on, no facial expression IIRC and no stupid noises. Jo was exasperated but also laughing because it was dang funny and not obnoxious.

Looking at that "wholesome Christian" comment, I am disappointed to find PTV does not do recaps of Fixer Upper. Now, I understand the snark isn't as brazen as it was back on MBTV and TWOP, but you have to give those guys some credit. Thinking back to another supposedly "wholesome Christian family" the troll in me wants recaps just for shits and giggles. (and hopefully nothing too explicit)

Alas. Time has changed.

/randomrant

Edited by kinnej5
  • Love 1

The new episode last night about the Garden Shed, garden, and chicken coop, had me wondering about a lot of elements.  One, they really "gooped up" that "shed" with expensive gew-gaws like the stone fireplace, antique windows, fancy light fixtures.  In the real world I wonder what that structure cost?  What ever it cost, it's disproportionate to its function, or seems like it.

Then as to the garden, when everything was established and blooming, it seemed as if there were incredibly more flowers, herbs, and vegetables than one family could ever consume - it would be nice to know where those flowers would be going, besides into their own house ?  And the food, both the grown stuff and also the eggs, is there someplace the surplus would be going?  It seemed like self-indulgent overkill from here.   

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Chippings said:

The new episode last night about the Garden Shed, garden, and chicken coop, had me wondering about a lot of elements.  One, they really "gooped up" that "shed" with expensive gew-gaws like the stone fireplace, antique windows, fancy light fixtures.  In the real world I wonder what that structure cost?  What ever it cost, it's disproportionate to its function, or seems like it.

Then as to the garden, when everything was established and blooming, it seemed as if there were incredibly more flowers, herbs, and vegetables than one family could ever consume - it would be nice to know where those flowers would be going, besides into their own house ?  And the food, both the grown stuff and also the eggs, is there someplace the surplus would be going?  It seemed like self-indulgent overkill from here.   

According to an item on Country Living's fb page, produce from the garden (and maybe flowers, too) will be used in the new restaurant, Magnolia Table.

Edited by schnauzergirl
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, schnauzergirl said:

According to an item on Country Living's fb page, produce from the garden (and maybe flowers, too) will be used in the new restaurant, Magnolia Table.

Now, That is good to know !  Thanks for the information !

Oh god.  Now they have a restaurant for bored retired women to flock to.  Now Jo can drone on about farm to table.  After collecting a couple of hundred dollars more a night than it’s worth at the Frankensteined bed and breakfast.   

I bet these ladies who flock there never see Chip (Ick) and Jo.  How is it a thing to spend holiday time in Waco at a pottery barn loooking house so you can catch a glimpse of them?  I think they’re nice people, but so is my neighbor.   Don’t get how people are flocking to see them and purchase made in China junk at their rusty ass silos. 

• Love 1

I really enjoyed the garden shed episode as it was something different and, except for Chip eating a handful of chicken feed, he seemed toned down from his usual antics.  I did find it interesting that it seems like for this final season they are totally building/renovating for themselves and their friends and family (i.e. the episode for Jo's sister).  No more pretense that they are all about improving neighborhoods in need.  Even before mentioning that maybe their daughters will get married in the garden, I was wondering if they were trying to develop it as a wedding venue as the "shed" is so above what one would expect to see in a garden, and there were paved walkways throughout the garden rather than gravel or even dirt.  I loved all the flowers and colors. And, I would love a small home based on the design of the shed.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, MrPissyPuppy said:

Hey hey!  In the Garden Shed episode, the book spines were facing OUT!   I think they were the most color in the whole Garden Shed/Cottage.  

LOL! That was the first thing I thought about when she was setting up the shelves! COLORFUL book spines!

Yes, that is a fancy gardening shed but they can afford it so why not? They already had that beautiful window and the doors so I am glad they can enjoy them. This is the first show on HGTV that I think my son will watch and enjoy. Why, the chickens! He and his family have 4 chickens and a rooster that are free range and he really enjoys them. The chicken family is about to grow since my grandson wants some hens that lay "colored" eggs...I have a friend who has some and the eggs are beautiful...light green, pale blue, etc. I can't wait til he sees the chicken run....I think he will be amazed!

I know Jo had a lot of help with setting up the garden but it was beautiful and I think she truly enjoys gardening and it is a great teaching aid for the children. Good luck to all of them with this new project! I think I enjoyed this episode of FU the most of any of them!

• Love 5

Does Chip's long hair bother anyone? There's just too much hair, hair everywhere!

I watched the most recent episode last night, but I didn't care for it as much as previous episodes. It was different, and I wonder exactly how much time it took for the shed to be built and everything to be put into place. Someone on here said the produce would be used for Mangolia Table, but I think they're going to use some of it for themselves as well.

Also, Oldest boy was grumpy again. Younger boy was kind of annoying. Chip behaved inappropriately in front of his children. What else is new?

• Love 2

Chip's hair doesn't bother me, but, today they ran a montage of scenes where Jo hits him....all over, slaps to the face, back, arm, head,.......I know, it's supposed to be in fun, but, it's really not funny, imo.  I have always found this disrespectful.  What if he slapped her that way?  I don't like it.  I wish they wouldn't run all those scenes like it's something to be proud of. 

• Love 6

I read somewhere that Chip had his long hair cut off for some charity. I wouldn’t have minded it so much if it looked clean. It always looked sweaty and greasy. They were on the Fox morning show one time and it looked like he’d put a lot of some kind of “product” on it- greasy and stringy. I’m sure Jo was embarrassed by his appearance. I surely was.

• Love 1

Chip & Jo did a new build. Have they done that before? Anyhoo, the house turned out nice. There was a lot of wood accents outside & inside. It was relatively light but there was a lot of it. I didn’t care for the kitchen though. She did a split island which is different but I wasn’t crazy about. In theory. It gives you room to walk into the kitchen without being blocked by one big island. The mint cabinets, copper fixtures and SS appliances were a mismatch & total disaster in my book. Clint did another table that wasn’t that impressive again. He’s off his game. LOL!!!

• Love 1
On 2/9/2018 at 11:46 AM, Kapaluakids said:

Jo is definitely a one trick pony. Have you noticed on the very few episodes where she uses color, she makes certain that you know that it wasn’t her idea. Like her sister’s house: she stated at least four times that her sister really liked teal. And the foster mother’s house a few seasons ago: she stated multiple times that the green walls were the client’s idea. She has no grasp of colors and patterns. I agree that she would be lucky to work at IKEA but for FU. 

Her same old aesthetic reminds me of Mike Brady in the Brady Bunch movie...whenever anyone would hire him to design a project (gas station, gym, etc) it was always a replica of their house, which he also designed. 

• Love 4

Tonight’s episode was nice. The house/barn was light and airy. Basically, Jo’s usual design. The outside of the house looked like a lot of their other houses. It had the go to white paint & light wood trim. It looked great but she has done it before. I really liked the back porch. She said it was also the dinning room since they didn’t have room in the house itself. That’s great for the summer & possibly fall but what about winter? I guess they can eat at the island. 

• Love 1

She gave the homeowners a choice of exterior paint colors and they chose white.  I thought the couple was precious! We usually don’t get much winter here in TX—this winter excepted, Lol!  We have an outdoor patio heater that runs on propane that we use (100.00 at Costco) when we have guests outside.  

Edited by StrictTime
  • Love 2

I liked the barn redo, but I can't understand what the homeowners were thinking when they bought it. It was total trash, & they only had $40,000 to fix it, what miracle did they think was going to happen? If Jo & Chip hadn't gotten donations, they would be living in a barn with a nice exterior.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 3

I laughed when I saw that 8-blade ceiling fan on the screened porch, because other than looking impressive, that fan isn't going to do much cooling! I would think Chip and Joanna would know the fewer the blades, the less drag on the motor and the more air circulation. The best ceiling fans for cooling are those that have two or three blades. An 8-blade fan is completely ineffective.

• Love 2
On 2/7/2018 at 11:28 AM, StrictTime said:

If the titles are visible, either in print medium or broadcast, the publishers have the right to ask for compensation from the magazine/broadcaster for using their intellectual property.

No offense intended, but that's not correct at all.

It would be correct if they were reproducing the words inside the books, and even then they could legally use a quote here or there. Covers are not actionable. 

• Love 2