Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: French Country in Texas?

I really need a life, but does anyone else think, "so you can buy this place for a third of your budget...maybe NOT go 'all in' and spend every last dime you can?"

And when JoJo gives them the three options for the last few grand...why not SAVE it? They're old houses, overhaul or no. Shit's gonna happen.

I might be taking this a teeny tiny bit too literally?

• Love 12
10 hours ago, Keekski said:

I thought that the houses were just staged with Magnolia Farms stuff for the reveal and weren't a part of what they kept in house. The only piece(s) that the made-over house owners get to keep are the one custom made by the carpenter they always use. I guess if the owners pay for it, they can keep it, but at $79 for one simple throw pillow, it would be super expensive. Especially if "your all-in's budget" is 30K.  

My understanding is that they do it for staging but the custom made ones for the places. Otherwise the owners have the option to buy the staged furniture if they want. Obviously not everyone's furniture would look good for tv all set up like that so they do it this way.

• Love 1

I just saw the episode where they built a bakery, for themselves. Uh, what? When in the hell are they are going to have time to run a bakery? I mean I'm assuming they'll hire someone to run it for them, but why? They made it sound like Joanna just always wanted to have a bakery and make cupcakes all day long but obviously she's not going to be doing any of that. It's like they just have to stamp their names on everything in Waco.

• Love 7

I think it is fantastic what the Gaines have done for Waco.  Many people have multiple businesses.  The Gaines are very good to Waco, they provide many jobs and their tax contribution for Waco is nothing to sneeze at.  

I hope they start more businesses...it is good for the economy.

• Love 9

I still watch pretty regularly but if it came down to this or Home Town, I'd pick HT. 

Anyhow I caught the "behind the scenes" episode on a replay and I've now added FU Staging to laws & sausages as things I don't want to watch being made. 

I mesn, somebody here already snarked on the ridiculous shelves over the island, but Joanna herself had to climb on a counter stool to adjust a tchotchke up there -- what mom of 4 under 4 is going to be going to that much trouble?

And the concrete down the sides of the island,  and the metal brackets protruding from the wall for bookshelves, right at toddlers' height? Ay yi yi, of all the designers/artists who should be more mindful of hard and sharp in a house with babies, you'd think it would be Joanna, a mother of 4 close in age!

I felt for Jo's design assistant who suggested wood grain shelves to flank the stainless vent hood. Jo stayed with white and to my eye, it was boring. But she did have those inexplicable black shelves over the island to consider.  Yeesh.

• Love 3

So I caught a rerun with the couple that bought a house that had an enclosed front porch that they removed--kinda a storybook cottage-ish house. Jo's style is pretty consistent, so the interiors blend so I can't tell you more about the episode. BUT, when they were showing the house, the next door house looked like their "giraffe" flip house. Anyone else notice that?

I am not sick of them, but the issue of them only wanting to do a few episodes a year so they can focus on their other stuff and family does make for some repetitive viewing. And I am guessing that the "strange" episodes were HGTV compromising with them on having more hours of film with them doing projects for themselves. I have been finding different channels to watch lately since the Home Town people don't really appeal (though maybe they'll settle in and be a little more natural), the new Flip or Floppers are unbearable to listen to (similar to the original flip or floppers who I always hoped would flop and frequently wished Izzy-the-contractor was the star of the show), and I am tired of the Property Brothers. gotta watch the Good Bones ladies to see if I still like them. I do still like Chip and Joanna and will tune in when there are new episodes--Chip is clearly one clever mofo and even if the world turns on them tomorrow and hates everything Magnolia, I expect he has a plan B, C, and D all ready to go.  HGTV is in a rut of only caring about finishes with a few "drama" structural moments, but really, how much time can we watch Clint lathe table legs?

• Love 3
(edited)

MaKaM, you are me.

I am currently stuck in a horrible noisy tiny apartment while the contractor finally finally gets going on building our little house and I am counting the weeks, days and hours until I can actually start doing some of the work myself. So HGTV is my placebo.

But wow. PB boys are pretty, but I know they know nothing and the fact that every reno will take seven weeks? C'mon. And does no one ever do a contingent inspection prior to purchase to avoid the big ugly "surprises"? And where are all these thirty-somethings getting all this money?

I like Joanna, although the "I'm ever so tired, going to be a long night but Chip brought junk food and my 'babies' and somehow I will soldier on," shtick is getting major eyeroll from moi anymore. Like there isn't a crew of ten putting those tchotchkes in those houses. 

Flip or Flop Vegas...no. Just no. Hideous on every level.

And my husband is a broker who has been approached several times for the House Hunter show and now that I know the primary casting criterion is "attractive couple under forty," this woman of an age says they can bite me. That and Beachfront Bargain Hunt did an episode where we used to live with a realtor we know and every last bit of it was fabricated, including the prices, which were magically lower by 30-50% in HGTV's parallel universe.

Home Town...meh. Just don't care about either of them.

I may go start a topic on "Good Bones" if I can figure out how...

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, ChickenLatte99 said:

Why does Jo hate upper cabinets? Every home has open shelving instead of uppers. There are some things that don't need to be seen.

I agree with you, but I'm guessing for JoJo it's part of her farm house look.

12 hours ago, MsTree said:

I agree with you, but I'm guessing for JoJo it's part of her farm house look.

My grandmother's kitchen was like that and it wasn't because she thought it was pretty.  It was normal.

• Love 1

I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of kitchens in the US have upper cabinets rather than shelves, so just choosing open shelving gives Joanna's designs a look that is a bit more unique.  (Even though she uses it all the time, so for her it's become typical.)   I think it is a choice of style over practically for most people who would choose shelves over cabinets.  Unless you have nice dishware and rotate all of what you have out so it doesn't get dusty or greasy, open shelving probably creates more work.  

Personally, I hate dust and dirt in the kitchen, so my strong preference is for closed cabinets that go all the way to the ceiling or soffit.  I previously owned a home that had open space above the cabinets and it got so gross up there!  And I hated how they looked... like they were just tacked on the wall any old way.  It looks cheap to me.

• Love 3

I hate the shelves.  

My grandmother's dishes were too sparse in number to show dirt.  She told me once that it was better to have shelves because you have to wipe down the shelves regularly... and then told me I probably never wipe mine regularly.  LOL.

Give me cabinets.

• Love 4

And does no one ever do a contingent inspection prior to purchase to avoid the big ugly "surprises"? And where are all these thirty-somethings getting all this money?

In their defense, a lot of the problems they find are ones that would not be seen in a home inspection.  It's only when they rip open walls that the shoddy plumbing or electrical work is discovered.

And yeah, where do these young people just starting out get the money?

• Love 3
On 5/10/2017 at 3:22 PM, iMonrey said:

saw the episode where they built a bakery, for themselves. Uh, what? When in the hell are they are going to have time to run a bakery? I mean I'm assuming they'll hire someone to run it for them, but why? They made it sound like Joanna just always wanted to have a bakery and make cupcakes all day long but obviously she's not going to be doing any of that. It's like they just have to stamp their names on everything in Waco.

As it happens, a friend had business in Waco and I asked if she was a FU fan. She said she doesn't have cable (sometimes I wish I didn't!) but said "the shop was pretty and mmMMM the bakery!!"

This gal likes her food, so I take her at her word. Because I ain't going to Waco any time soon ... heck,  not any time. My ancestors come from around the US/Canadian border.  NOTHING in my DNA prepares me for TX Hill Country weather!

Which brings up another something that has me agog: how Jo deals with all that beautiful thick long hair in that horrible heat & humidity. She said, "product! Lots of product!", before Chimp cut her off, but to me that just makes the hair denser and heavier and hotter.

I started out liking these people. Not that much, anymore.  Dunno why.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, lucygoose said:
2 hours ago, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

Same here, I think I have Fixer Upper fatigue.

Thanks! So it's not just me. 

I think I've tired of Chimp's (no typo) antics and the way the homeowners just nod and coo at everything Jo shows them reminds me of the skit about Oprah going ballistic when someone answers her in any way other than, "Absolutely, Oprah!" 

Its funny to imagine a client demurring and Jo flying into a fit of indignation. "NO one questions Joanna Gaines! I AM MAGNOLIA!"

You know she could do it. ;-D

• Love 2

I watched this show for a short stint a couple of years ago and stopped during one episode where she adorned the dining room mantel with a rusty kitchen scale, and put an old rusty bicycle frame on the office wall.   Come on!  No French countryside home has rusty landfill for art.   

I noticed an ad for her skin cream on FB and the reason she is leaving the show.  I call BS.  It said it was flying off the shelf.  Yuh.  Some company is using her celebrity,  that is all.  She is not being honest as to why.  That is fine, she doesn't have to.  

She is really stunning, especially since it's not in a 9-hours-in-a-makeup-chair kind of way. And I applaud her for having her own style...and never wearing stilettos.

But there isn't a skin cream in the world that gives a working mother of four that perfectly smooth serene forehead. That's some serious industrial-strength botox.

• Love 2

I especially respect that she has no problem not dressing to the nines or looking or acting absolutely perfect when shown on the show. Could you imagine Christina from Flip or Flop, or the other blonde robot from the other Flip or Flop (Aubrey? Bristol? I don't know which is which) showing up with their hair looking even slightly not "done"? Or the Property Brothers without their carefully trimmed scruff? I mean, there was one episode where Chip had a major sweat ring on his head where his hat had been and Joanna admitted to not knowing what saucers were on camera. I like 'em because they are at least somewhat real and willing to show something other than "perfection".

• Love 13
16 hours ago, wings707 said:

I watched this show for a short stint a couple of years ago and stopped during one episode where she adorned the dining room mantel with a rusty kitchen scale, and put an old rusty bicycle frame on the office wall.   Come on!  No French countryside home has rusty landfill for art.   

Oh dear.  You would hate my house.  LOL.

• Love 4
On 6/7/2017 at 7:33 AM, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

As it happens, a friend had business in Waco and I asked if she was a FU fan. She said she doesn't have cable (sometimes I wish I didn't!) but said "the shop was pretty and mmMMM the bakery!!"

This gal likes her food, so I take her at her word. Because I ain't going to Waco any time soon ... heck,  not any time. My ancestors come from around the US/Canadian border.  NOTHING in my DNA prepares me for TX Hill Country weather!

Which brings up another something that has me agog: how Jo deals with all that beautiful thick long hair in that horrible heat & humidity. She said, "product! Lots of product!", before Chimp cut her off, but to me that just makes the hair denser and heavier and hotter.

I started out liking these people. Not that much, anymore.  Dunno why.

I couldn't deal with that weather myself. My mom's side of the family were all from Texas and some other Southern States. Places that I would probably die in their heat. LOL 

I take it when she says product she is taking stuff that deals with frizz and keep it down. I know I have something I use for my hair as well all year long to keep frizz down. Yet mine makes it look like I have the beachy waves look all year long instead. LOL I found one other product that was a leave in conditioner that actually keeps it straight and smooth like her's but I don't use it often. It doesn't leave it heavier either. For her though she has a/c to live in I am sure unlike me. We are by the beach so most places here don't have it which can suck most days. 

• Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, Evil Queen said:

take it when she says product she is taking stuff that deals with frizz and keep it down. I know I have something I use for my hair as well all year long to keep frizz down. Yet mine makes it look like I have the beachy waves look all year long instead. LOL I found one other product that was a leave in conditioner that actually keeps it straight and smooth like her's but I don't use it often. It doesn't leave it heavier either.

Ah, I see what you mean. My personal experience is with good, thick hair -- which I keep short-- and to me, "product" is heavy gel to keep spikes spiky or flips flippy.

No AC near the beach!? I feel for you. I visited Nova Scotia in the summer and was dismayed by the heat & humidity. I expected hot, humid weather on the southeast coast and thankfully my hosts had AC there.

Edited by BckpckFullaNinjas
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

Ah, I see what you mean. My personal experience with good, thick hair -- which I keep short-- and to me, "product" is heavy gel to keep spikes spiky or flips flippy.

No AC near the beach!? I feel for you. I visited Nova Scotia in the summer and was dismayed by the heat & humidity. I expected hot, humid weather on the southeast coast and thankfully my hosts had AC there.

I might have more of an advantage as my hair is just normal with a touch of wave to it so I don't have thick hair to deal with. But if it gets nasty humid (like the summer before last) it does a number on my hair and my daughter's. We are on the West Coast so its not generally humid like back East and the South can get. I know when my daughter danced I had to do her hair that is where the heavy type of gel and hair spray comes in handy. LOL 

Growing up I lived in land so we had a/c. When I moved here it was different. Yet you usually have the ocean breeze to keep things cool but if that is not there its not pleasant during those hot days. We made sure to grab a couple portable a/cs this year for those extra hot days. The other days that aren't so bad we do have fans to use if we want instead. If I have my way we will one day have to find a way to put in central air. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Evil Queen said:

If I have my way we will one day have to find a way to put in central air. 

I know I can't do without it, anymore!

As I watch FU and Home Town, I think how tall ceilings historically were built for maximum cooling via airflow, pre-AC and when sleeping with windows open wasn't as dangerous as it is now. I wonder how the central AC operating costs will be, and mostly I wonder if the homeowners ever hang shutters or other opaque window treatments. 

I keep my verticals closed on the south of the house in the afternoon and the drapes on the north pretty much all day.  Yet neither JoJoprah nor Erin have much more than gauzy panels, if that.

*About "JoJoprah"--I'm using that as a term of endearment, along with "Chimp."  Because he clowns like one, and while I'm sure her clients have a very substantial say in how their homes turn out, the way production presents the design meeting -- clients respectfully and worshipfully silent except to murmur in agreement while JoJoprah describes the plan  -- makes me think of the Mighty O and her devoted audiences.  NO disrespect meant! Just my lame-o attempt at nickname humor. 

• Love 1

I lived in Texas (my kids jokingly called it Tex-Ass!) and I hope I never go back.  Waco is a really sweet town- but the humidity is stifling.  Hair, well I never had good hair in Texas.  

When we lived in Texas it was not unusual for the utility bill to cause a shock when it arrived.  Water too.  My parents water bill was over $400 a month during the summer and they had an average size lawn.  I don't know why Texans bother growing grass.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Jellybeans said:

I don't know why Texans bother growing grass.  

Preach! I'm heading for Ground cover instead of grasses on my lawn -- sedges, clover, henbit, etc.  stuff that grows naturally in our fertockteh climate.

I have noticed that Chimp & JoJoprah tend to replace worn out plantings with shrubs that grow well in mulches and gravel, being a little bit (at least) economical, yes? 

• Love 2

They plant drought tolerant stuff as far as I can tell.  The only thing I don't understand is why the lack of a ceiling fan...in every room.  I remember buying a 3 bedroom house and having to buy a fan for every room...including kitchen.

The homes have a lot of windows (which I love) but the window coverings do not seem too willing to block the sun...lol. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm guessing that the homeowners do various amounts of retrofitting and redecorating once Chimp's crews have carried away the $70/apiece toss pillows, etc.  Pretty sure that's why most of the post-rehab footage is shot in the kitchens, where not much is apt to be changed out.  

In a very early episode, the post-rehab footage was filmed in the living area, where the thousands-of-$$$ couches had been replaced with some that very likely came from the family's previous home. I noticed it and I'm guessing JoJoprah and the show runners did, too! Hee!

Edited by BckpckFullaNinjas
  • Love 4
On 6/7/2017 at 5:38 PM, Oldernowiser said:

She is really stunning, especially since it's not in a 9-hours-in-a-makeup-chair kind of way. And I applaud her for having her own style...and never wearing stilettos.

But there isn't a skin cream in the world that gives a working mother of four that perfectly smooth serene forehead. That's some serious industrial-strength botox.

I think Jo is so naturally beautiful.  I'll cut her some slack on Botox.

• Love 3

I was given a demo for some stuff in the Caesar's Palace mall that was pretty amazing, and I ended up buying it. Maybe she uses that. 

Anyway.... I watched a bunch of these today. They definitely have a formula, but they do a pretty good job overall. I do like that there's generally no manufactured "Oh no, there's a problem that's going to cost a fortune to fix!!" drama like there is on Property Brothers and Flip or Flop. I hate when shows do that; most of the time it's something that would have been discovered during any halfway decent inspection. 

• Love 4
(edited)
12 hours ago, ShellSeeker said:

I was given a demo for some stuff in the Caesar's Palace mall that was pretty amazing, and I ended up buying it. Maybe she uses that. 

Anyway.... I watched a bunch of these today. They definitely have a formula, but they do a pretty good job overall. I do like that there's generally no manufactured "Oh no, there's a problem that's going to cost a fortune to fix!!" drama like there is on Property Brothers and Flip or Flop. I hate when shows do that; most of the time it's something that would have been discovered during any halfway decent inspection. 

I take it this is because they inspect those house or have someone do it. There was one I remember Chip saying something that had me thinking he does it himself so this way they go in and are able to tell whoever this is what is up with this place and how they can fix it. Obviously when you open walls up things can come up you don't see but with this show its not like those ones. I really can't stand that stuff. Which is why I don't watch Property Brothers to often.......Flip or Flop is not to be watched for many different reasons. 

Edited by Evil Queen
  • Love 3

Someone said to me once about Chip and Joanna- that she liked how they subtly taught parenting skills while renovating a house.  I started watching with that idea in mind and I think that is what they are doing.  I am not talking about Chip's antics.  I am talking about how Chip and Joanna are with their own children.  Stressing family time, work ethics, taking care of pets, manners, etc.

What do you guys think?

• Love 4
13 hours ago, ShellSeeker said:

You must have not watched the first two seasons, because they did the "Oh no, there's a problem that's going to cost a fortune to fix!!" every episode. 

• Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, Jellybeans said:

Someone said to me once about Chip and Joanna- that she liked how they subtly taught parenting skills while renovating a house.  I started watching with that idea in mind and I think that is what they are doing.  I am not talking about Chip's antics.  I am talking about how Chip and Joanna are with their own children.  Stressing family time, work ethics, taking care of pets, manners, etc.

What do you guys think?

I think they're really good with their kids, at least what we see on camera. And the kids are really cute.

As an obsessed pet owner, the "it's adorable that Chip brings home new pets all the time without discussion with Joanna and might be an animal hoarder" storyline...no. Just no. They've got four kids, umpteen businesses and a farm...it's never cute to dump more pets into that without everyone being on board with the responsibility.

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

I think they're really good with their kids, at least what we see on camera. And the kids are really cute.

As an obsessed pet owner, the "it's adorable that Chip brings home new pets all the time without discussion with Joanna and might be an animal hoarder" storyline...no. Just no. They've got four kids, umpteen businesses and a farm...it's never cute to dump more pets into that without everyone being on board with the responsibility.

While I would agree its not ok if one lives in small space or a place with not much land. Yet we also don't know if its they are replacing a lost pet either because its not like one wants to bring that reminder up to kids either. Even if its not that the fact is they do have the space/land to have a lot of pets and care for them. Never have we seen one of their pets looking unhealthy either. So I actually have no issues with it. 

• Love 5

I see clips of the family taking care of their pets.  They are a working farm.  They have cattle, goats, pigs, chickens, and dogs.  I have not heard about cats.  Those animals get top-notched care.  

If they did not take care of their animals I would be upset as well.

• Love 2
On 7/2/2017 at 0:55 PM, GaT said:

You must have not watched the first two seasons, because they did the "Oh no, there's a problem that's going to cost a fortune to fix!!" every episode. 

You're right, they did follow that formula early on. It feels more genuine to me in later episodes though. There's one where they thought there was an issue with the foundation, because they found empty space underneath it. They were flipping out wondering if it was a sinkhole. A specialist came and took a look and told Chip that it was actually a suspended foundation, designed to not be directly on top of the soil, which allows the soil to expand and contract without causing any damage. It's believable that you wouldn't run across something like that until you looked under the floor. 

Stuff like that doesn't bug me. It's the stuff like "OMG this addition built with plywood and duct tape isn't permitted! It's going to blow up the budget!! How did we not know this?? What are we going to do???" that makes me roll my eyes. 

• Love 3
(edited)
On 2017-07-02 at 10:03 PM, Oldernowiser said:

Staged. "Oh look, I got these two new puppies! What? The cameras are here and we are filming at this exact moment with everyone spread out just so to capture the best angles? Lights, camera action and me wihtout a stitch of makeup on*!" The puppies were probably on the call sheet for the day. ;-)

*Drop Dead Gorgeous. Classic.

Edited by MaKaM
  • Love 1

In an episode I saw over the weekend Chip and the kids were going to the shelter because "the cat died" and Joanna said, "we have a cat, don't bring home another cat" so Chip brought back two kittens and a dog they weren't allowed to bring home right away. Then in another ep he was kvetching about having a bad morning because one of the dogs had run off and was trying to find it and she snapped back something about how about you don't look for the dog and you quit bringing new animals home. It was noticeable as a rare moment of real-seeming tension between them.

It could all be fabricated for teevee. But its kinda surprising they went there if it is.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

could all be fabricated for teevee. But its kinda surprising they went there if it is.

Indeed!  From their "Magnolia Story" memoir/story, I'm surprised she ever speaks sharply to him. Granted, they seem very sincerely devoted; but the degree of wifely submission and husbandly willfulness described in the book paint them as a couple who would NEVAH let anybody see them as anything but calmly agreeable!  

I'll have to reset the DVR to record & see if I can find the scene you mention. Interesting!

(edited)
On 1/18/2016 at 8:33 PM, CN42 said:

Joanna proudly said, "Now that's a banquet table!" Well, yeah, but who needs a 17' dining table? If they're going to BBQ outside and bring it directly into the "gathering room" then I can see it, but to schlep food downstairs (and back up) for that many people is unrealistic. It looked pretty, but it was a waste of space, IMO.

Saw the "barndominium" rerun last night; it was my first time seeing it.  Not only will the residents have to "schlep food downstairs and back up", but my thought was having to haul all of your groceries up the stairs, and there were a LOT of stairs up to the kitchen.  I'm guessing it would take 3 months tops before the homeowners ask what the hell they'd gotten themselves into.

Edited by roughing it
grammar
  • Love 5

The spouse is putting a dumbwaiter in our house - he repairs vintage guitar amplifiers, which weigh 50-100 lbs, and he got tired of schlepping them down the narrow steep stairs to his shop. When I saw that episode, I figured they'd put one in very quickly.

• Love 2