Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: French Country in Texas?

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 1:57 PM, Peanutbuttercup said:

I was at least a little pleased that this episode had some different design touches, not just all white everywhere! shiplap! rusty crap and big stupid words on walls! I'll be interested to see if Chip and Joanna wrap up their last season and maintain their "perfect" record of absolutely zero LGBT clients/families on their show.

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 2:48 PM, chessiegal said:

Of course they will - wouldn't want to upset the pastor.

Will they have any LGBT clients in S5?  The answer is: (to be frank)

No (blankin)' way.

When Chip's infamous "revelation" (his word, not mine, IIRC), I checked out the comments on their blog.  Will check Chip's language but he said something about loving everyone.  Who can argue with that, right?  Given his language, almost immediately, someone commented about how great it was that Chip/Jo felt that way and obviously they'd include a gay couple in their next season. 

Uh, don't think so.  In my experience, to them, loving someone means sharing the "good news", i.e. the gospel.  Conversion therapy (shudder), in their mind, is part of that loving.  Encouraging such sinful behavior by publicizing it to millions of HGTV viewers would not be consistent with loving them, in their minds and opinions.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, aguabella said:

Noticed that too, GaT.  I believe the story editor got sidetracked on the drama of the grandfather's endtables and left a dangling participle!  Uh, except, I doubt the work-at-home line was for real.  The wife started a new job about the time they were wrapping up filming as a Brand Mgr at ... you guessed it ... Magnolia Market!

Meant to post about this earlier but almost all the participants last year had connections to Chip and Jo.  Perhaps it's part of their strategy, dealing with the FU air bnb and flip phenom.

Wow, I had no idea that so many of the participants had a connection with the Gaines. Maybe that's the reason so many have higher budgets. To me, they are boring--I'd like to see more of the "worst house in the best neighborhood"--the first season seemed to start out that way and was way more interesting.

When I see the show referred to as FU, I have to laugh. It stands for something else and I don't mean Felix Unger, from The Odd Couple.

• Love 5

I thought the exterior really looked nice, but I wouldn't want to have to go up that many steps. Wish we could have seen the garage and driveway ... again with young kids, you might not want a driveway that is so steep.

I like the idea of a breakfast nook, but I am all about practicality and comfort, and I just don't know how practical that is over the long run.

Laundry room was nice (I'm all about the laundry room), but narrow in that stretch with the washer and dryer.  At least the family has space to sort and fold with lots of natural light.

10 hours ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

I thought the exterior really looked nice, but I wouldn't want to have to go up that many steps. Wish we could have seen the garage and driveway ... again with young kids, you might not want a driveway that is so steep.

I like the idea of a breakfast nook, but I am all about practicality and comfort, and I just don't know how practical that is over the long run.

Laundry room was nice (I'm all about the laundry room), but narrow in that stretch with the washer and dryer.  At least the family has space to sort and fold with lots of natural light.

When I saw the men carrying the furniture (Clint, too) up that hill I was all, “Yeah, I wouldn’t buy that house!!”. That was my first thought when they showed them the house and it had all the steps & the hill. Those steps are gonna get really old in a few years. It looked pretty but I would be so over it in a year or two. Overall, the house looked  nice inside. The kitchen was crisp and white and the family room was light and airy. The kitchen island was a good size and proportionate to the kitchen. That said, I didn’t care for the dinning room table. It looked too narrow. I also didn't care for the the round table in the nook. It looked too big and I can’t stand eating over a table with a bench. I need a chair. I’m weird that way. LOL!!!!

23 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

Wow, I had no idea that so many of the participants had a connection with the Gaines. Maybe that's the reason so many have higher budgets. To me, they are boring--I'd like to see more of the "worst house in the best neighborhood"--the first season seemed to start out that way and was way more interesting.

When I see the show referred to as FU, I have to laugh. It stands for something else and I don't mean Felix Unger, from The Odd Couple.

Oops, sorry about that.  I try to remember not to do that for this show but it comes out when typing away.

Last season, IIRC, the main exception was the San Diego family.  Didn't see a connection, although their children might have attended Woodway.  (They've had a few folks from the school.)

The boat guy is a good friend of Chip's; his wife, teaches (IIRC) at the school and is Jo's friend and stylist.  (Yes, he's married with children.  Assumed they hoped to protect their privacy.)   The family where the Gaines kids helped (supposedly / for the cameras) on the kids' bedrooms:  the wife's the school secretary. 

All these people might also be connected to the church, too.  Remember the young couple who bought the small house with a nice porch railing and Jo's first (on this program, anyway) kitchen banquette? They're definitely from the church.  BTW, they listed that home awhile back so assume it sold.    

And, everybody knows about the Baylor connections with previous episodes.  And the producer's home in Crawford.  Remember the "flip" house episode that supposedly lacked a client?  That house belongs to the producer's brother, a camera man.  All in the family, right?  

Reality tv skeptic here so never put much stock into the "worst house, best neighborhood" line.  Sure, sounds good and several episodes qualified but to me, it was branding.  Several neighborhoods looked like the worst!  Haven't checked this season but feels like they're back to Woodway, mostly.  

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 1
On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 7:03 PM, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

Good points, all. This is where FU and to a degree Hometown fall short of Love It Or List It.  It's interesting – – and instructive – – do you have the hosts pull out the unglamorous repairs and upgrades with the, "there will be $20,000 for the plumbing repairs underneath the foundation… "

The other thing that makes me crazy about FU & HT is the  elephant in the room of furnishings. Sure, the houses look great after show JoJoprah and Erin have put their touches on them – – but what do all those pieces of furniture and accessories add to the cost? I don't think it would turn viewers off to know.

That's right - everything looks great b/c it's custom, selected especially for that space with balance, proper proportion, color, etc.

In my experience, using quality pieces (not necessarily designer or high-end), say 2,500+ sq. feet, you can easily spend six figures and up furnishing a home.

• Love 2
On 11/29/2017 at 8:57 PM, luvmylabs said:

The wife in this episode looked SO familiar to me...like she's an actress or something.  Hubby thought so as well.

I think she looked like Jeri Ryan.

15 hours ago, aguabella said:

That's right - everything looks great b/c it's custom, selected especially for that space with balance, proper proportion, color, etc.

A true designer would work with the challenge of the HO's furnishings and taste.  But Jo has her predetermined vision and HO be damned.  And then the camera focuses on details like pillows and vases and place settings when those are likely not going to stay.

17 hours ago, aguabella said:

Reality tv skeptic here so never put much stock into the "worst house, best neighborhood" line.  Sure, sounds good and several episodes qualified but to me, it was branding.  Several neighborhoods looked like the worst! 

I suspect FU (and yes, I think the same thing, CruiseDiva!) may have caused a shift in the housing market in Waco.  I doubt they can still find the true bargains any more, with HOs spending $30 or 40K in repairs on a $50K house to create a little gem.  They're getting houses over $200K, working with 6 figure budgets, and fixing them into Mcmansions.  When Chip says, "If you buy this house, you only have $125,000 to make renovations," you know the focus of the show has changed.

Pretty sad that I FFd from the house selection all the way to the reveal, skipping the entire project.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, meowmommy said:

A true designer would work with the challenge of the HO's furnishings and taste.  But Jo has her predetermined vision and HO be damned.  And then the camera focuses on details like pillows and vases and place settings when those are likely not going to stay.

I worked with an interior designer once. I knew her from dance classes before furniture shopping. She was with Ethan Allen and helped DH and I pick out sofas and chairs for our living room and family room and then helped with drapes. She was great--I explained the look we were going for and she found the furniture styles and fabrics for us to choose from. She took into consideration the coffee tables, end tables, and lamps we already had and planned to keep and even pointed out a floor lamp to DH when he was looking for a gift for me. In my experience, that's how real designers work with clients.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, CruiseDiva said:

I worked with an interior designer once. I knew her from dance classes before furniture shopping. She was with Ethan Allen and helped DH and I pick out sofas and chairs for our living room and family room and then helped with drapes. She was great--I explained the look we were going for and she found the furniture styles and fabrics for us to choose from. She took into consideration the coffee tables, end tables, and lamps we already had and planned to keep and even pointed out a floor lamp to DH when he was looking for a gift for me. In my experience, that's how real designers work with clients.

Holy smoke! Quoted for SO MUCH TRUTH!!

It was JoJoprah’s dictatorial attitude in the planning stages, where she explains to the HO what’s going to happen, that first began to  sour me on her. Granted, she — or someone from her considerable staff — & the HO may have pre-agreed on the plans, but it doesn’t come across that way. 

4 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Pretty sad that I FFd from the house selection all the way to the reveal, skipping the entire project.

Well, not if you figure you saved yourself a whole lot of minutes.  I’ll be happy when HomeTown comes back in January.  I like that couple a lot better and I really appreciate that their projects aren’t so blasted cookie-cutter. Yeah, they have their go-to’s, but most artists and craftspeople do. 

Edited by BckpckFullaNinjas
  • Love 2
On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 2:14 PM, meowmommy said:

Weren't you on pins and needles wondering where Jo was going to put the giant clock?

• Love 8
2 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Weren't you on pins and needles wondering where Jo was going to put the giant clock?

I don’t think you are being very nice. It’s usually a giant galvanized windmill. LOL!!!!!

08BDAF2C-E4C4-4EFB-9346-E590DA4831CB.jpeg

• Love 1
On 12/1/2017 at 8:51 PM, CruiseDiva said:

I suspect it's also about building visibility of the Magnolia aesthetic. Makes it easier to sell their product lines at Target, etc.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, MsChicklet said:

I suspect it's also about building visibility of the Magnolia aesthetic. Makes it easier to sell their product lines at Target, etc.

I actually wrote the post you quoted, and I agree with you.  I almost expect them to flash price tags as the camera lovingly pans over the tchotchkes.

• Love 1
On 12/1/2017 at 9:05 PM, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

It was JoJoprah’s dictatorial attitude in the planning stages, where she explains to the HO what’s going to happen, that first began to  sour me on her. Granted, she — or someone from her considerable staff — & the HO may have pre-agreed on the plans, but it doesn’t come across that way. 

Except that in this episode, Jo showed them grey cabinet paint for the kitchen, but the homeowners said they wanted white—-and she changed it to white.  It would have been better in grey, IMO.  But she doesn’t appear to be at all dictatorial <shrug>.

• Love 5

I am irrationally irritated with Jo’s insistence on updating every fucking fireplace in the world.   Every damn one, even if the “client” likes the existing one has to be redone.  

And the damn metal staircases with cabling instead of bannisters. Looks like what you see in a barebones warehouse.

really starting to grow sick of her unimaginative designs.  Why is this always on as a marathon when I’m sick and wanting to tv binge? 

• Love 5

This show can't disappear soon enough for me. I stopped watching some time ago, and am so tired of the marathons - seems like every day. Hoping once this final season is over, it goes away and they find something more interesting to air. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

This show can't disappear soon enough for me. I stopped watching some time ago, and am so tired of the marathons - seems like every day. Hoping once this final season is over, it goes away and they find something more interesting to air. 

I was a little down on Ben & Erin at Home Town because she kept journaling how GRUELING shooting was this summer — then they revealed the pregnancy and my cold old heart softened for them again. (I couldn’t live one degree of latitude farther south than I am. Being pregnant and working outside in Mississippi? I’ll excuse the child her overuse of GRUELING.  Heh!)

If you’ve tried ‘em and don’t like ‘em, NO problem.  If you haven’t, they start up again in January. Not only do they & their team respect the individuality of the homes they redo, they don’t appear to want to take over the world — and the way they care for each other is refreshing after Chimp’s impulsiveness and JoJoprah’s submissiveness. 

There’s a long essay by Ben on their homepage, from well before they got the tv gig, about his history with Erin. Guy has a great heart and a heckuva way with words. Ok, I’ll stop the cross-topic’ing now.  ;-)

• Love 4

@Mu Shu,

And the damn metal staircases with cabling instead of bannisters. Looks like what you see in a barebones warehouse.

Preach, sister! First, second and continuing thoughts when I saw that: If somebody falls the right way, they’ll lose a limb-or their head -on that taut, thick wire! 

I need to remove the show from my DVR schedule. I’m not even interested enough to FF thru the latest episode to see the results. 

(Also need to unfollow this topic, since all I seem to do is complain and then topic-jack to Home Town.)

Edited by BckpckFullaNinjas
  • Love 3
On 12/1/2017 at 2:14 PM, meowmommy said:

I suspect FU (and yes, I think the same thing, CruiseDiva!) may have caused a shift in the housing market in Waco.  I doubt they can still find the true bargains any more, with HOs spending $30 or 40K in repairs on a $50K house to create a little gem.  They're getting houses over $200K, working with 6 figure budgets, and fixing them into Mcmansions.  When Chip says, "If you buy this house, you only have $125,000 to make renovations," you know the focus of the show has changed.

Personally, I wouldn't call Jo a "designer", true or otherwise.  Yes, she plays one on Tv, lol!  (No offense to Chip/Jo.)  If the show participants don't care for the farmhouse look, I suggest they refrain from submitting their FixUpp application!  Easy, peasy.

Everyone remember the mcm home she did for a friend?  She appeared very uncomfortable, to me anyway, and reverted to farmhouse by the time she reached the bedrooms, complete with a barn door in the master

I have a hard time believing that a cable show, airing 13-16 episodes per year, can move markets.  The Silos do benefit retail so together with the show, it's probably helped.  Isn't Waco the cheaper alternative to Austin / Dallas and TX has been experiencing above-avg growth, compared to the overall U.S.?

One thing about renovation shows - ratings increase when the higher $$$ value homes / renovations air.  A show may start with that concept but they always diverge, in my understanding.  (Blank on examples now but will edit later, if possible, lol.)

Ever read the comments about Magnolia Market at the Silos?  TX visitors indicate they drive for hours, hoping to find unique items and a terrific shopping experience only to find imported junk, marked up 3-4X its craft store prices, long lines, few bathrooms, etc.  Then, they say, "You're stuck in Waco, Texas"!  Somehow, I doubt Chip/Jo would have run out of dumps to reno in Waco, if they continued!

$125,000 renovation budget in TX?  Agree, they better morph into Mcmansions, hahaha ...

P.S. Love to my TX friends.  Was simply passing along information from frustrated visitors.  Worked there many times (never Waco) but understand people love it, especially Baylor alums!  (If they didn't, it wouldn't be experiencing this growth surge!)  Every town faces challenges from growth.  Sounds like it's a love/hate relationship with Magnolia, e.g. love the added business but hate the traffic ...

Edits to previous post - eaten by site:

Working with the HO furnishings?  They film / work on 3-4 episodes, simultaneously, in teams of 5-10 (IIRC) staff members and professionals, per episode.  Logistically, it'd be a nightmare to warehouse and catalogue the various HO furnishings.  And, yes, the show does feature furnishings supplied by their sponsors.

Regarding the HO's taste, the HO's do approve various selections, e.g. paint colors, backsplashes.  Jo does retain final approval under the contract but they're far more involved behind the scenes than shown in the 44 minute episode.

Sorry for the long post!

• Love 2

The first house in last night's episode had a funky green piano in one room. It was the only piece of furniture, if I recall. When they got to the segment where the clients meet with Jo at her house there was a funky green piano along the wall behind her. Hmmmm?

• Love 2
On 11/30/2017 at 10:17 PM, aguabella said:

In my experience, using quality pieces (not necessarily designer or high-end), say 2,500+ sq. feet, you can easily spend six figures and up furnishing a home.

On 12/1/2017 at 5:51 PM, CruiseDiva said:

Agree, CruiseDiva.  It's often possible to reuse smaller items (they're often standard sizes), assuming they coordinate with the style and colors selected for the new space.   The foundation / main items (say sofa, dining room table, etc.) s/b selected specially for that space and if custom / high-end, can be very expensive.

Yep, that's the way it typically works with a designer sans the demands of a reality tv show.  Jo, however, would have to physically warehouse each participants' items and inventory them for use in their future episode.  She has several hundred staff at last count?  She'd need a few more, lol!

Sorry to quote my self, above but that's the point.  It's unfortunate but large furniture pieces, selected for particular spaces just don't translate into new homes.  In fact, it's the reason furniture manufacturers use home sales to forecast upcoming revenue.

• Love 2

Jo, however, would have to physically warehouse each participants' items and inventory them for use in their future episode.

This is why I really, truly, would dearly love to see a show about the stagers - or even Jo's real process of staging the houses - I want to see HER warehouse and inventory control system and how she decides what goes where and the sheer logistics of getting it all to the place for the shoot (and getting it all back out again)! I think that would be really interesting.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Eeksquire said:

This is why I really, truly, would dearly love to see a show about the stagers - or even Jo's real process of staging the houses - I want to see HER warehouse and inventory control system and how she decides what goes where and the sheer logistics of getting it all to the place for the shoot (and getting it all back out again)! I think that would be really interesting.

Good idea Eeksquire.  Don't know if you saw them but HGTV aired a series, 1-2 seasons about a pro stager from LA.  And, a couple years b4 that, a Canadian program included a pro stager.  His name was Matthew; he eventually landed in LA (naturally) and appeared tangentially on other programs, occasionally.  These two would both make Jo look's places look like oversized Michael's stores.  (No joke, BTW.)

The LA stager maintained a serious warehouse and had 5+ add'l pros working for her.  Both she and Matthew used high quality furnishings.  Matthew especially loved artwork and frequently borrowed / rented works from local galleries.  They both staged high-end, listed homes, usually on a fee-basis.

WRT Jo's places, I doubt she inventories her smalls.  She (well, that means her staff / team) prob shows up with large quantities of candles, books, cheap art, etc. It wouldn't surprise me if, using the room dimensions and catalogs, her staff pre-orders case goods in accordance with their staging plan. 

Somehow, I doubt they load everything on the final day, overnight, lol.  Unless purchased, the large furnishings would simply be returned after filming.  (From what I've heard, not many people buy the furnishings, although they could prob negotiate a few discounts.)   Under these procedures, they'd have little to inventory.

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 2
On 12/6/2017 at 2:27 AM, aguabella said:

Personally, I wouldn't call Jo a "designer", true or otherwise.  Yes, she plays one on Tv, lol!  (No offense to Chip/Jo.)  If the show participants don't care for the farmhouse look, I suggest they refrain from submitting their FixUpp application!  Easy, peasy.

Everyone remember the mcm home she did for a friend?  She appeared very uncomfortable, to me anyway, and reverted to farmhouse by the time she reached the bedrooms, complete with a barn door in the master

I have a hard time believing that a cable show, airing 13-16 episodes per year, can move markets.  The Silos do benefit retail so together with the show, it's probably helped.  Isn't Waco the cheaper alternative to Austin / Dallas and TX has been experiencing above-avg growth, compared to the overall U.S.?

One thing about renovation shows - ratings increase when the higher $$$ value homes / renovations air.  A show may start with that concept but they always diverge, in my understanding.  (Blank on examples now but will edit later, if possible, lol.)

Ever read the comments about Magnolia Market at the Silos?  TX visitors indicate they drive for hours, hoping to find unique items and a terrific shopping experience only to find imported junk, marked up 3-4X its craft store prices, long lines, few bathrooms, etc.  Then, they say, "You're stuck in Waco, Texas"!  Somehow, I doubt Chip/Jo would have run out of dumps to reno in Waco, if they continued!

$125,000 renovation budget in TX?  Agree, they better morph into Mcmansions, hahaha ...

I've lived in the Waco area for 13 years now, and my husband has been here for 17 years. Waco was dirt cheap for many, many of those years. Prices would increase from year to year, but it was a slow, steady pace and it was easy to find affordable housing in a safe area.  The last few years - right about the time Magnolia started airing - the prices here started to move up quickly. Finding anything under $200K in the suburbs is tough now - and what you do find are smaller 1500 SF houses or ones that need lots of updating. For reference, the home we bought in 2005 was right at 105k. We sold in 2011 for right at 135K, and that was with a new roof, new AC, new hot water heater, and new floors. It still took a while to sell. It eventually went into foreclosure and the owners didn't take care of it, though it wasn't completely destroyed - and sold last year for near 180k. Had it been taken care of better, it would have been much closer to $200K. My friends who were looking 2 years ago ended up finding a home under 200K - and they promptly had to rip out all of the dog urine carpet. I don't think they would have gotten the house, except that the smell probably turned people off. (To be fair, it took a few months to finally go away even after the carpet was gone, but it's a lovely house now). We bought our current home for about $170K 6 years ago. The one next door to us just sold for $300K. We have a bigger lot, a separate garage/workshop, and more updates, so I think we could reasonably get at least as much and very likely more than that if we were to list. We have friends that took a year of looking to find something close to their budget of 150K that was decent. My aunt and uncle sold the house that they had owned for 40 years to a flipper. I don't know the selling price, but it was well under 200K. The flipper went in and made minor updates such as new flooring and wall paint, listed it for 250K, and sold it quickly. My husband and I wish we'd bought it and done it ourselves, but were nervous about taking it on. 

Other people may have different anecdotes, but I definitely see an impact here and I've had many friends and family affected by it. Yes, we are cheaper than Austin or Houston or Dallas - but those markets are insane and have been for years. I'm from Houston originally and my mom and sister still live there, so I'm aware of the pricing there. Waco used to be an affordable place to raise a family - and now I think we are pushing it in terms of affordability. Salaries haven't risen to meet the increased housing costs, and I don't really expect them to by much as many of our jobs are more blue collar - Baylor and the local school districts are probably some of the biggest employers, with SpaceX (and now Magnolia) trailing them. 

It's still a good place to live, and I'm excited at some of the changes that the increased tourism has brought to Waco - we have way more things to go do now and more cultural festivals. But I hate going anywhere downtown near the silos at anytime of day. It's just insane. I went with a friend once and it is indeed overpriced crap.  

• Love 7
13 hours ago, Pine said:

I'm so disappointed that the new season doesn't even show bathrooms and bedrooms.  Even when they're looking at prospects. 

That's just so odd that they rush the buyers through the "front" of the houses and ignore bedrooms and baths. If they'd cut out some of Chimp's nonsense and JoJo's eye rolling at him there would be plenty of time to show more of the interiors. They could also cut the lengthy conversations in the cars.

I did find it amusing that the buyers in the last episode objected so vehemently to the crappy location.

• Love 4
On 11/29/2017 at 7:57 PM, luvmylabs said:

The wife in this episode looked SO familiar to me...like she's an actress or something.  Hubby thought so as well.

Not sure this is the episode you’re talking about, but there was one with an engaged couple and I kept thinking she was Mary Lynn Rajskub from the original “24.”

On 12/5/2017 at 7:48 PM, chessiegal said:

I am so tired of it, and they run it for Up to 5 hours and more some days. 

I am also sick of Clint.  I can’t tell you why, but I think he’s a weasel. And when his wife pops up with her hipster glasses, I just want to fit her for contacts.  And I am not an optometrist.  And I want to tell her that her husband is a weasel, though I have no proof.

Does anyone remember the Martha Stewart line at Kmart from the early 00’s?  Jo sure hadn’t forgotten it.  

• Love 2
On 12/7/2017 at 7:21 PM, CruiseDiva said:

I did find it amusing that the buyers in the last episode objected so vehemently to the crappy location.

DH and I translated "We're not liking the location" to "We saw brown people."

• Love 11

Every.Single.Night.  This is on every damn day, for hours!  Damnit, when I get home from work I want at least one hour of non FU programming.  Enough already.   Always sweaty , juvenile Chip all goober looking and saying “Sure” to everything.  

Annoying!

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Mu Shu said:

Every.Single.Night.  This is on every damn day, for hours!  Damnit, when I get home from work I want at least one hour of non FU programming.  Enough already.   Always sweaty , juvenile Chip all goober looking and saying “Sure” to everything.  

Annoying!

And if it isn't FU, it's one of the Property Brothers shows. I don't watch them either. I spend a lot more time watching DIY channel unless Nicole Curtis is on.

• Love 5
On 3/29/2017 at 2:00 AM, GaT said:

What possible reason could they have for fixing up that shack instead of tearing it down & starting from scratch? 

It makes a huge difference in building permits. Doing a remodel vs. new build will save tens of thousands of dollars depending on where you live. The "shack" had water, electricity, septic/sewage, etc. all in place. Much easier to finance as well.

On 3/6/2017 at 1:32 PM, ByaNose said:

Thanks. I had no idea they even wrote a book. What's possibly left for them to do? Fixer Upper: Hawaii

I vote for that since I live in Hawaii! It would be my only chance to have a Joanna -designed home!

On 3/22/2017 at 11:51 PM, AnnaRose said:

Aw, I thought Joanna and Ella were pretty adorable. 

I haven't seen this show in a long time.  I caught the end of the previous episode, right when they were showing the kitchen, which I thought looked very nice. 

I loved that vaulted family room with the beams, which was surprising because I tend to dislike rooms with visible trusses. (They make me uneasy.)  But I thought the family room looked great. 

I loved those french doors to the "play" room.  Calling it a playroom was kind of strange.  It sure looked like a home-schooling room to me, so I'm not sure why they didn't just call it that.  Maybe the owners didn't want it called that.  Or maybe they intend to use it for play, but Jo wanted to style it more like a classroom?

I hated the clip of the owners teaching their kids to throw spaghetti at the freshly painted wall.  Really, people??

Then I watched the flip episode, which I quite enjoyed.  I didn't find Chip off-putting, so that was a big plus.  I was glad they didn't go overboard in their 'competition', and were supportive of each other.  I really liked how that house turned out.  What a cute, little house!

I liked the herringbone inset in the living room floor.  The curved french doors and shelves in the dining room looked nice, and I loved how the kitchen turned out.  It looked like they replaced and added windows there which made a huge difference.  I noticed that they changed it around compared to their original sketch.  I thought those beams were fantastic and really made a huge difference.

The bedroom looked much better, but they removed the window air conditioner.  In Texas.  I wonder if they added (or could add) some sort of mini-split unit to cool that room. 

Loved the office nook.  Those kinds of spaces with built-ins under the eaves are so appealing.

Oh yeah... and the beginning when they went back to their first "flip".  That  house was kind of awful.  Did they really buy it with the intention of "flipping" it?  And if so, did they actually make any kind of significant profit on it?  Their improvements were pretty poor.  I was thinking that maybe it was just an inexpensive starter home that they tried to improve a bit while they lived there.  Then again, maybe it was their first real 'flip' and they used the profits to fund the start of their empire.  They sure have come a long way.  Good for them!  They seem like a nice family.

I was glad to not see any big wall clocks or writing on the walls.  (Well... except for the painted script in the laundry room in the previous episode... but I actually thought that looked really nice.)

I think they upgraded to central air/heat. You cannot live in Texas without ac!

10 hours ago, Just Watching said:

I think they upgraded to central air/heat. You cannot live in Texas without ac!

Even the house we moved into in El Paso in 1959 had central a/c. Schools, however, did not. If you were lucky enough to be able to bring a fan from home you got to sit in front of it.

• Love 1
On 12/10/2017 at 1:35 PM, Mu Shu said:

I am so tired of it, and they run it for Up to 5 hours and more some days. 

I am also sick of Clint.  I can’t tell you why, but I think he’s a weasel. And when his wife pops up with her hipster glasses, I just want to fit her for contacts.  And I am not an optometrist.  And I want to tell her that her husband is a weasel, though I have no proof.

Does anyone remember the Martha Stewart line at Kmart from the early 00’s?  Jo sure hadn’t forgotten it.  

I have proof, Mu Shu!  (Or, at least, it confirms he's a weasel, in my book.)  Haven't liked him since at least the 2nd season, probably earlier.  I believe it corresponded to when it came out that he was getting a pilot and also scoring big off fans.  Seemed like he became faker by the episode, after that.  

Didn't it come out that they never moved into that home?  Just use it as an Air BnB, IIRC.  Next to his shop so that's their excuse.

Anyway, speaking of proof, check out their website.  For some reason, I looked at it briefly, a couple years ago.  Assuming they haven't changed it ... they talk about "the guys upfront" and "office gals" or "girls in the back" or something.

Might not annoy everyone but this sort of (misogynistic) stereotyping just bothers me.

• Love 2
On 12/7/2017 at 0:53 PM, mcwick said:

I'Other people may have different anecdotes, but I definitely see an impact here and I've had many friends and family affected by it. Yes, we are cheaper than Austin or Houston or Dallas - but those markets are insane and have been for years. I'm from Houston originally and my mom and sister still live there, so I'm aware of the pricing there. Waco used to be an affordable place to raise a family - and now I think we are pushing it in terms of affordability. Salaries haven't risen to meet the increased housing costs, and I don't really expect them to by much as many of our jobs are more blue collar - Baylor and the local school districts are probably some of the biggest employers, with SpaceX (and now Magnolia) trailing them. 

It's still a good place to live, and I'm excited at some of the changes that the increased tourism has brought to Waco - we have way more things to go do now and more cultural festivals. But I hate going anywhere downtown near the silos at anytime of day. It's just insane. I went with a friend once and it is indeed overpriced crap.  

Sorry to be slow to respond, mcwick.  The site ate my post the other day.  Will try to type quickly, lol!

Anyway, thanks so much for providing the local information.  Because you used the word "anecdotes", emphasis added, above, am not certain if you believe FixUpp was the primary cause for Waco's growth.  (???)  From a business and/or research standpoint, I would call your information, anecdotal.  It's obviously true but doesn't mean that Chip/Jo caused the explosion.  If they hadn't received those large tax incentives to build the silos, I believe another investor and/or developer would have stepped in and taken advantage of Waco's situation.  

Reviewing the data, it appears Waco's growth mirrors RE growth in both the U.S. overall and TX.  Graphically, the curve's basically the same shape but steeper, meaning Waco's rate of growth has been higher during this boom period.  That's exactly what we'd expect to see, given TX' exploding population.  (The market bottomed around 2012 in all 3 locations, coincidentally when FixUpp was just gearing up / beginning.)

TX' population is currently the fastest growing state in the U.S.  As prices rise in the major cities, RE investors priced out of those markets have to place their $$$ somewhere.  Growth typically moves in concentric circles around population centers.  Given it's location within the state, Waco was bound to explode.

Sure, it's possible Chip noticed all these factors and decided to invest.  (Others might have noticed, too.)  Chip, however, is what some call a "serial entrepreneur", meaning he would have continued started businesses until one succeeded.  To Waco residents, I'm sure it feels as if Chip/Jo caused Waco's growth, impacting the city both positively and negatively.  My guess is that TX' exploding population is the real culprit.

Take care and thanks, again, for sharing, mcwick.

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 2
On 12/7/2017 at 2:46 AM, Pine said:

I'm so disappointed that the new season doesn't even show bathrooms and bedrooms.  Even when they're looking at prospects. 

On 12/7/2017 at 4:21 PM, CruiseDiva said:

That's just so odd that they rush the buyers through the "front" of the houses and ignore bedrooms and baths. If they'd cut out some of Chimp's nonsense and JoJo's eye rolling at him there would be plenty of time to show more of the interiors. They could also cut the lengthy conversations in the cars.

You both realize that, like HH and pretty much every other househunting program, the show requires them to have closed escrow on the property before filming begins, right?  (BTW, this is widely known - not trying to spill any HGTV secrets.)  So, they're not touring true prospects.

I do agree, however.  If they show the househunting process at all, then I'd prefer they show the entire house.  Impossible to get a feel for the property and its floor plan(s) when they don't walk through the entire place.

BTW, until this year, Chip wasn't a licensed realtor.  I'm sure he took the exam so when nosy viewers like me check things out ...

• Love 2

Anybody see their latest episode?  I was concerned with those trees in their front yard.  They were too close to the building, for me.

Yes, the french doors were nice but I hate add'l doors, near the front door.  Visitors always are confused or at least they say that when they bang on your office door!

Didn't care for that front window either.  Sure, at least it wasn't a garage, i.e. a snout house, but those (supposedly) beachy windows don't thrill me.

Clint's game table appeared very low, to me.  When their kids grow up, they'll still want to sit on the floor?  It looked a bit higher in the final shot, however.

Agree with everybody, though, it's getting boring, big time, lol!  They can close up shop now ...

Overall, it just looked like the rear of the home instead of the front.

• Love 1

On the one hand, this most recent episode dropped the pretense that they're looking at houses to buy, which was good.  On the other hand, nothing about this house was a "fixer upper."  They took an already fine, serviceable house and used a huge budget to bling it up.  But on the other, other hand, they were cognizant of not overspending--when it's time to sell, you don't want the most expensive home on the block.

The remodel itself was typical Jo, nothing special, nothing memorable.  The marble and wood "rug" in the bathroom was pretty but I just imagined what it would feel like on your feet when you get out of the tub.

I find Chip's scruffy face to go with his scruffy hair incredibly distracting, and not in a good way.

• Love 3
On 12/17/2017 at 8:17 PM, aguabella said:

Yes, the french doors were nice but I hate add'l doors, near the front door.  Visitors always are confused or at least they say that when they bang on your office door!

They are really big on a lot of windows/french doors/glass front doors.   I guess their clientele don't walk around naked or in their crappy lounge clothes or want to pretend they're not home to salespeople and talky neighbors.  

• Love 5

Just watched the episode with the couple from Puerto Rico. I liked how the house turned out, but Joanna combined the pantry, laundry room, & existing kitchen to make a big kitchen. Where are they supposed to do the laundry now?

• Love 3
22 hours ago, MrPissyPuppy said:

They are really big on a lot of windows/french doors/glass front doors.   I guess their clientele don't walk around naked or in their crappy lounge clothes or want to pretend they're not home to salespeople and talky neighbors.  

Plus — the heating/cooling costs have to spike , 

the security decreases as bad guys can see what you’re up to and it’s got to be easier to smash glass or jimmy hinges than other ways of breaking in. 

Somebody built s cool house with banks of windows my hood. They apparently didn’t notice that these windows look out onto a busy two-lane through road. The house would be perfect on a beach, a hill, or even with the windows situated over a semiprivate back yard. 

Needless to say, I’ve never noticed the shades up. But I have thought of FU’s penchant for lots! Of! Windows! when I drive by.  

• Love 1

Joanna combined the pantry, laundry room, & existing kitchen to make a big kitchen. Where are they supposed to do the laundry now?

I wondered that same thing.  I certainly hope that somehow there was a laundry room and not just a stackable washer/dryer stuck in a closet.

I did think it was kind of funny when they were touring houses and the woman, who had limited English, just kept saying 'No.'

I felt uncomfortable watching the episode with the couple from Puerto Rico.  The wife didn't look like she was enjoying it at all.  I felt kind of sorry for her.  The husband seemed nice.

The master bedroom/former garage turned out nice, but I would never want to give up a garage.  And yes, I wonder where the laundry room ended up.

I don't get having doors that lead outside in a bedroom.  I'd be concerned about security, but I like opening the windows during nice weather.  I don't have to worry about someone climbing in my bedroom window because of the way it's situated.  There's no way I'd sleep with an open door.  Also, on the majority of these reno shows, beautiful windows are installed but they don't appear to have screens.  I sometimes think I'm the only person left who likes letting fresh air - and no bugs - in.

• Love 6
On 12/18/2017 at 3:32 PM, meowmommy said:

On the one hand, this most recent episode dropped the pretense that they're looking at houses to buy, which was good.  On the other hand, nothing about this house was a "fixer upper."  They took an already fine, serviceable house and used a huge budget to bling it up.  But on the other, other hand, they were cognizant of not overspending--when it's time to sell, you don't want the most expensive home on the block.

The remodel itself was typical Jo, nothing special, nothing memorable.  The marble and wood "rug" in the bathroom was pretty but I just imagined what it would feel like on your feet when you get out of the tub.

I find Chip's scruffy face to go with his scruffy hair incredibly distracting, and not in a good way.

I certainly agree about limiting the reno budget but, OTOH, if we started with the assumption that the "Joanna Gaines house" was the most expensive home on the block or in the neighborhood, how many times would we be wrong ???  (lol)

It was prob the lighting but the white in that rug felt jarring.  Chip's claims that he and Shorty did that rug - unless Shorty's a tile sub, I don't know ???  (haha)

• Love 1
On 12/19/2017 at 7:54 AM, MrPissyPuppy said:

Yep, it's tough for me with an open, table-style desk, lol!

My pet peeve concerns window treatments.  To me, they really make / complete a room.  High-quality window treatments are usually tres-expensive and builders / flippers just ignore that added cost, looming on the horizon for homeowners.  That and landscaping, too ...

I'm sure the interiors film better w/o them.  And, in real life, builders / developers save $$$.

• Love 7