Type keyword(s) to search

Season 7 Discussion

ohjoy
  • Start Topic

I can take or leave the Adam portion of last night's episode (although the thing about getting into Johnny Atkins' van was very funny), but the Geoff/Barry swap storyline was hilarious.  And poor Matt Bradley doesn't even get to eat his own food.

• Love 6

Am I the only one who already doesn't care about Brea? I feel like she's just a prop. All she does is react to everything and sit around smiling, but she doesn't actually do anything herself. She's just a prize for Adam to win, not a real character. 

It's weird because it's not like she was created specifically for the show. She existed in real life. You would think her personality would be stronger because of that, but maybe she never had one. Dana and Jackie were written a lot better. 

Edited by Mr. Meatball Man
Needed to change a sentence.
  • Love 8

Pops continues to be my favorite character. Adam hurt his feelings, but he knew it was Adam flexing his wings and not that Adam didn’t love him or was leaving. It’s not Pop’s first time around the sun, and he’ll always be there (though without Bev’s obsessiveness.)

Jeff is the best thing to happen to Erica and Barry. 

• Love 5

The Adam plot I could take or leave, but Jeff switching lives with Barry and becoming a better Barry than Barry is in a classic body swap scenario was hilarious. Especially his professor announcing that whatever is happening is a "classic body swap situation" like this is just something that happens at this college from time to time. Barry was demoted to Barry 2!

• Love 7

I was wondering if they redid the theme song, and then I realized it was an a capella version.  Cute.  Yeah, they shouldn't have bothered. 

The funniest part of the episode was the footage of the real Goldberg dad yelling at the printer.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, MarthaEllisanne said:

Please, please, please...no more singing.  The kids may be actors, but singers they are not. I have to mute the sound when the caterwauling starts.  

I usually agree, but the JTP being mostly awful was pretty funny.

• Love 6

My biggest two laughs? The actual video of real Murray and Adam arguing and Murray yelling at various electronic devices. Make that VCR a laptop, and thats basically my dad now! The second was Barry trying to hit on the accapella girl by "singing" Ava Maria, while the JTP is very obviously right behind him standing in plain view. Barry didnt bring the box!

The Erica stuff was all just super cringy though. Geoff can do so much better. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

Why are we even supposed to like Barry and Erica? They're self-absorbed assholes who repeatedly belittle and steamroll the JTP and Geoff, who do nothing but (inexplicably) offer them unconditional love and support.

They have reached Fresh Off The Boat annoying, just like Jessica and Evan.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

Why are we even supposed to like Barry and Erica? They're self-absorbed assholes who repeatedly belittle and steamroll the JTP and Geoff, who do nothing but (inexplicably) offer them unconditional love and support.

They offer them unconditional love and support because they're the leads.  That's the only reason I can think of, anyway.  Can you imagine being part of a group that was led by Barry?  It boggles the mind.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I watched a few older episodes since this current season is pretty unwatchable. What I think they missed out on is not having more scenes with The father and the furniture business, those were funny episodes. I think it would be a nice break to switch to the furniture store from the college story lines. 

I am a person who hate seeing sitcoms end, but this one needs to. How could they get rid of a show like the kids are alright and keep this? or shows like LA to Vegas or cool kids, all 3 of these shows had so many possible new story lines left. 

• Love 9
13 hours ago, silverspoons said:

How could they get rid of a show like the kids are alright and keep this?

Not only have they kept it, they doubled down on it, giving it a spinoff  (Schooled).

• Love 2
On 3/23/2020 at 4:31 PM, rmontro said:

Not only have they kept it, they doubled down on it, giving it a spinoff  (Schooled).

Schooled has a little potential with some likable characters, but half the time I can't stop thinking that the dialogue is exactly what Barry or Adam would say. The writing is way too predictable like most Goldberg shows.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Eataton said:

Schooled has a little potential with some likable characters

It's probably hurt the Goldbergs a little bit too, since it took some of the more likable characters.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, rmontro said:
11 hours ago, Eataton said:

Schooled has a little potential with some likable characters

It's probably hurt the Goldbergs a little bit too, since it took some of the more likable characters.

To me, the likable ones weren't even on The Goldbergs.

6 hours ago, rmontro said:

t's probably hurt the Goldbergs a little bit too, since it took some of the more likable characters.

The most likable ones to me; Coach, Principal, and Wanda had nothing to do with The Goldbergs.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, alexa said:

Who was the blonde girl sitting with Erica in her dorm room tonight?  Maybe I missed something about this on a recent episode?

That was Kelli Berglund as Ren. She was also in the Parents Thursday episode.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, paulvdb said:

That was Kelli Berglund as Ren. She was also in the Parents Thursday episode.

I looked up more info online and I kind of remember that other episode, but I don't think they have shown her enough to suddenly have her sit on the bed/couch with Erica out of the blue.  Or maybe it is just me.  I really didn't remember her or know who she was, and I watch every episode.

Edited by alexa
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, alexa said:

I looked up more info online and I kind of remember that other episode, but I don't think they have shown her enough to suddenly have her sit on the bed/couch with Erica out of the blue.  Or maybe it is just me.  I really didn't remember her or know who she was, and I watch every episode.

I didn't know who the hell she was either.

Johnny's fixing of Adam's bike was funny, outside of that, nothing else made me laugh.

• Love 3

The funniest part to me was how everyone at Adams suspect meeting knew instantly that it was Bev who stole the bike, that is very on brand for her. And of course Pops running commentary on how ridiculous the whole plan is. "The biggest suspect is your parenting!" 

This show still can usually give me a few chuckles, but its clearly running on fumes. 

• Love 9

Why did Matt Bradley not merit an inclusion in the spring break trip? 

Where did this new friend of Erica's come from?  I know she was in the last episode, but it was like she just appeared and everybody acted like she had been there all along.  

• Love 10
8 hours ago, Bulldog said:

Why did Matt Bradley not merit an inclusion in the spring break trip? 

Where did this new friend of Erica's come from?  I know she was in the last episode, but it was like she just appeared and everybody acted like she had been there all along.  

Yep, that is what I was saying last episode when she was sitting in Erica's room.  She was on an episode a little while back and hardly anyone remembered her.  lol. I have no idea why she is suddenly on all of the sudden.  She doesn't really add anything to the show.  

• Love 4

I actually had to come here to see who this blond chick was, I totally forgot about her existence! Especially confusing as everyone was just acting like she has been there the whole time. 

As usual, a few chuckles (I still love Anthony Michael Hall as the super cool counselor) and I totally relate to doing really well on the English/writing side of the SAT but really crappy on the math part, as well as the reoccurring sleazy salesman guy who sometimes shows up, but every week is becomes more and more clear that this show has long since existed past its expiration date. 

• Love 7

I was fine when they introduced her as a friend for Erica because it makes sense for her to have some friends, especially with all the friends that Barry and Adam have on the show. Then she wasn't on for something like 12 episodes and as mentioned, when she showed up again she was treated as if she was there the whole time.

I too was wondering where Matt Bradley was? The best parts of this episode were the scenes with the counselors. Oh and I was dying at Pops' "I walked across Europe as a child" line.

• Love 8

I liked the shirt Barry wore to the club.  I wouldn't wear it, a little on the loud side, but I liked it. 

I thought Lainey was Erica's only friend lol.  Maybe Ren is suddenly being pushed to the fore because they want her to be Barry's new love interest.  What kind of name is Ren, anyway?  Does she have a brother named Stimpy?

Nice to see Glascott and Anthony Michael Hall again.  Glascott's Prince tribute show sounds exactly like something he would do.

Apparently not going to college is one of the few things that can get Murray off the couch.

• Love 2

I absolutely cracked up at this exchange.

Beverly: On your verbal portion you got in the 90th percentile!

Pops: That's really high! (high-fives Adam)

Beverly: On your math you got in the. . . bottom fifth percentile.

Pops: That's really low.

Adam: Is it? I'm not really a numbers guy.

Pops: Yeah, I'm getting that.

😂

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
On 4/2/2020 at 12:03 AM, Bulldog said:

She's like Nikki and Paolo from Lost.

Yeah I feel like they maybe had a plan to integrate Ren better but then forgot to do it. Maybe a cut scene or something? Or maybe they just decided Barry needed someone and they remembered the random blond girl from a few episodes prior. I actually like Ren but her presence has been jarring.

I kept waiting to see Glascott pop up and glad he did. I love it when Bev scares him. The actors play well off each other.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, xander874 said:

She's like Nikki and Paolo from Lost.

Yeah I feel like they maybe had a plan to integrate Ren better but then forgot to do it. Maybe a cut scene or something? Or maybe they just decided Barry needed someone and they remembered the random blond girl from a few episodes prior. I actually like Ren but her presence has been jarring.

I kept waiting to see Glascott pop up and glad he did. I love it when Bev scares him. The actors play well off each other.

Yes, there wasn't any real subtle introduction like a lot of the other characters. She is all of a sudden just there and now part of the cast. It just makes it come off as: "Where the hell did they come from and why do we care?"

• Love 2

Ren was introduced back in Episode 5 this season, they showed them meeting and hitting it off right away, the main plot was Erica not wanting her cool new friend to meet her Mom on parents weekend.

They just didn't start using her again until a few episodes ago, so I guess everyone forgot her.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

Ren was introduced back in Episode 5 this season, they showed them meeting and hitting it off right away, the main plot was Erica not wanting her cool new friend to meet her Mom on parents weekend.

They just didn't start using her again until a few episodes ago, so I guess everyone forgot her.

Plus most of the general audience, yet not the writers. 

• Love 1

Not that I am complaining or anything, but this Erica is completely different from the popular Erica. Just like MF's Dylan trying to be a Phil. I feel the writers are trying to make her another Beverly and it kind of annoys me so far. 

And no way a girl would put up with Barry's crap.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, rmontro said:

It is realistic to take after your parents though.

How true, even when you complain "I will never be like them." I mean my wife talks about how much she hated being yelled at by her father and how he wouldn't accept anything unless it was staring him in his face. Yet, she does it too and I even point it out and she hates the fact she does it. Of course, I'm just as guilty, I don't learn to stop talking like my mother or then get upset when I feel left out like my own father and my brother. 

Yes, you might realize it, but sadly we do take on our parents/guardians habits both good and bad. I also can understand that The Goldbergs are still drawing from the real Adam's life, but it's getting to the point where it's really veering off reality. Especially, with Erica, at least with Barry both on the show and on Schooled they are having it get into the medical field and doing well in it. Erica is still bouncing between singing and who knows what. 

• Love 2

I randomly tuned in to the first two episodes in syndication...normal Bev with non-crazy clothes and makeup, normal kids, no shouting, no mugging to the camera. That's the show we got into. The current iteration barely gets 5 minutes of our time before the channel gets changed. 

Edited by bad things are bad

This is nitpicky but they were talking about the house being 5 houses from the boardwalk but Margate does not have a boardwalk. Atlantic City..boardwalk. Ocean City...boardwalk. Ventnor which is the next town over ..boardwalk.  Its not a big deal and no one who doesnt know the area would know any different but it's annoying when something is wrong when its easily researched.

https://www.nj.com/entertainment/2018/07/all_18_boardwalks_in_new_jersey_ranked_from_worst.html

That was almost all worth it just for the brief glimpse we got of the actual Playground musical. I need a dancing tootsie roll in my life! 

Poor Pops, the eternally ignored voice of reason. "I think we could have kicked the tires a bit on that name."

• Love 2

I almost groaned when I read the description for last night's episode.  Character promises to get some star or other for a performance to make themselves look good, but then fails to deliver.  That has to be one of the oldest, stalest sitcom tropes in the book.  Of course they pick Barry to carry this out numbskull plot.

It was nice to see Bill find some happiness.  But again, we have an example of how romance works in TV land.  Bill decides he's ready to find a new love in his life, and then poof the next day she appears.  She seems like a nice character though, hope they keep her around.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, rmontro said:

I almost groaned when I read the description for last night's episode.  Character promises to get some star or other for a performance to make themselves look good, but then fails to deliver.  That has to be one of the oldest, stalest sitcom tropes in the book.  Of course they pick Barry to carry this out numbskull plot.

The problem is how many times has Erica told Barry to stay away and as Barry perfectly puts it: "Why can't YOUR friends leave me alone?" It's true, Barry can't go by any of Erica's even person they walk by without them giving Barry the wrong idea. Then of course Barry does such a stupid idea where the entire family, especially Pops is going: "Don't do this, haven't you learned from the past?" Yet, away they go, then finding out none of this was really based on anything except Lainey's father and Murray, which was the only good part to this. The show is really just starting to run on fumes and constant repeat of plots because the real Adam has pretty much nothing left to give to plots anymore. 

• Love 1