Type keyword(s) to search

S28.E02: First Elimination

• Start Topic

Lamar, it would go a lot better for you if you admitted you had a drug problem previously but were working every day to be better. Because no one believes you that you weren't doing drugs that night you OD'ed in the brothel. 

• Love 16

I felt sorry for Lamar but we are never getting rid of him or Spicer.  I figured though once Erin had to give Lamar a pep talk that he would get sympathy votes.  Also Spicer sucks but part of the problem is IMO Lindsay is a master at getting crap dancers through a dance and making them look better than they are.

So my top three of the night were Kate/Pasha, James/Emma and Hannah/Alan.  Which brings me to I love Kate/Pasha so much!  They were my fave routine of the night.  Also Pasha is such a great addition so far.  Fresh choreography, knows how to teach, good with his celeb...yay!  I don't know if Kate can keep it up week to week or if she just got a dance that suited her, but I love that Pasha is teaching her real technique.

James is still good but I didn't love his routine.  Hannah was pretty great though I saw DWTS making it clear she had some dance training, albeit probably not extensively.  She's not like a Riker or a Corbin or Jordan.

Karamo, Sailor, Lauren, Ally and Kel are all on a similar plane for me where they have some good things but also a lot of things they need to work on to move forward.  Karamo seems like a crowd pleaser and Len's 5 was prob too harsh but I thougth CA and Bruno went too far the other way ignoring his messy ass frame and top line to gush over him.  I think the problem with this whole group is they float in and out of their dance and can't fully sustain a performance.

I like Mary, but between Mary and Ray neither had a shot at winning so it is what it is.

Have I mentioned I love Kate and Pasha!

• Love 16

Ah, week two and the first night of live voting. Let's see how this goes. I'm guessing you WANT to be first up now, since there's more time for voting in your favour if you're first.

James and Emma: So, James has to perform a real cha-cha. I thought he did quite well. His foot work was better this week. I thought it was a fun dance filled with plenty of cha-cha, even if he did miss a couple of steps. But damn, the scores really ARE harsh this year. I do agree with them and thankful they're not handing out 8s. Or maybe he's not as amazing as I thought he was originally. Still great, still my favourite male celeb, but he definitely needs to step it up...or Emma does.

Sailor and Val: So, I guess this is the real shot of Sailor that we're seeing where she had a full week of dancing. It was...ok. The singer was atrocious, which did ruin the dance a bit, but the dance also was...I dunno, really slow? Really basic? There wasn't that oomph that I was expecting. I felt like Val gave Sailor some very safe moves. And she did ok, but not well. I agree with the scores. 

Ray and Cheryl: So, Ray is one of the few that I felt that I needed to see his second dance to determine whether he was good. And....yeah, he wasn't very good. The beginning of the dance was weak. The ending was stronger, but still not great. I think the scores were fair. I think that this is the second week now that I haven't been impressed with Cheryl's choreography, which is very surprising. 

Ally and Sasha: Yet another celeb who I needed to see a second week of. I thought last week was very good but I also read other comments that were more negative and realized that I needed to re-evaluate. And this week gave me a better idea of what she's capable of. I thought it was a solid dance. Some mistakes here and there, but very nice. 

Mary and Brandon: Ah, Mary. I wanted the dance to be better. Unfortunately, it was not that good. But it looked fun and I did smile during it. I still want her to stick around because her energy is great. 

Lauren and Gleb: All I could think of before the dance was that I hoped that Gleb wouldn't screw this up. And...he didn't. He choreographed the dance well enough and Lauren did pretty good with what she was given.

Sean and Lindsay: Well, he did...alright, I guess. But he was walking through the choreography.

Karamo and Jenna: I thought that Karamo did better this week. That's all I have to say on him, unfortunately. 

Kate and Pasha: I actually liked it a lot, AND Kate got some really great choreography to work with. Pasha is really impressing me so far as a pro. I mean, he's not amazing, but he's doing better than I could have hoped for.

Kel and Witney: Not bad. He definitely improved from last week. I liked it this week and knew I was right about him getting better. 

Lamar and Peta: I thought Lamar did better this week, but still not solid. But still, feel bad for the guy. He really is giving it his all.

Hannah and Alan: Best dance of the night. So, so good.

And now, for the results. Not surprising that Sean is safe. Surprising that Lamar is, but I guess he has a huge fanbase.

Bottom Two: Ray and Cheryl vs Mary and Brandon? And Mary/Brandon are the ones that go? Damn. I loved Mary/Brandon and thought that there could have been something there. Alas, since Lamar and Sean couldn't have gone, and since I guess Ray has more potential, Mary had to go. Which is a damn shame, because I liked Mary more than Ray.

And poor Brandon. He can't seem to catch a break either.

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, edie3 said:

And I really felt sorry for Lamar.

Same. Hearing about all the strokes and heart attacks he had...Jesus, dude. I can sympathize with him kinda beating himself up about the dance, too. Somebody who's used to competition, like him, it would be tough to feel like you may not have done your best. I think this week was a little stronger for him than last week, though, so there's that :). And he's sticking around, so hopefully he'll get some good scores next week. 

Kate's dance was absolutely lovely and adorable. Hannah, Karamo, and Ally were good, too. I missed James' dance-I'd taken a bit of a nap before the show and woke up shortly after it had started, so I'll have to go back and see his online later. 

I also liked Kel's dance as well :). And I'm glad to hear his dad's doing better after that surgery. That's rough. 

Sorry to see Mary go. I would've had it come down to Ray and Sean as the bottom two, myself. 

• Love 10

Just based on the dance, Sean was definitely better than last week, and his outfit was not an eyesore, which I appreciated. (I feel like the clips from last week showed even more how truly unflattering that outfit was.) Could really have done without the Sean Spicer kaleidoscope background, though.

I thought Mary would stay at least a few weeks just on her name.

7 minutes ago, spanana said:

Which brings me to I love Kate/Pasha so much!

I was cracking up at their background dancers! And Pasha is adorable. He has such a great smile.

• Love 5

I don't have a lot of sympathy for Lamar as he really looks like he'd rather be anywhere else. As for the whole "Judges save" thing, the producers just went for blantant rigging..and voting ONLY during the show? I am so glad I don't work my mid-shift anymore or I'd never get to vote for routines.

I detest this new system..it is 100% bullshit...why vote at all if the judges will just save for what they think is  a dream finale? Other talent shows have used the judge save..sparingly..and even then it felt like there was a bit of rigging...but if this is going to be the case each week, it sabotages the whole intent of the show...fans SHOULD have the final say...and yes, that at times means a Bobby Bones may win..then so be it...if you don't want a weak dancer to win, then score them accordingly and don't try to stroke their egos each time.  The old system may have had flaws but at least the viewers had the final say...

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

I detest this new system..it is 100% bullshit...why vote at all if the judges will just save for what they think is  a dream finale? Other talent shows have used the judge save..sparingly..and even then it felt like there was a bit of rigging...but if this is going to be the case each week, it sabotages the whole intent of the show...fans SHOULD have the final say...and yes, that at times means a Bobby Bones may win..then so be it...if you don't want a weak dancer to win, then score them accordingly and don't try to stroke their egos each time.  The old system may have had flaws but at least the viewers had the final say...

First, I think it's unclear if this save will last all season.  I suspect it won't and will disappear in later weeks.  Also if I'm not mistaken we've had a dance off situation before where the judges got to decide who went home?

But beyond that, they still can't rig a finals because the worst dancers have to wind up in the bottom for them to be able to send someone home.  Look at tonight.  Neither Sean nor Lamar were in the B2 and therefore couldn't be sent home.  So if two better dancers wind up in the B2, they still have to send one of them home while Sean sits safely on the sidelines.

Also while the live voting does suck in some aspects, I think the reason for it is to to avoid the fanbase voting which has happened before.  Meaning people literally stay up all night making 1000 accounts to power vote for 8 hours for their fave.  I find it's more the fans of the pros that do things like that but I think the live voting is designed to help eliminate all the fake extra voting that happens.  Now people are more likely to vote a couple times for their faves, maybe have a few extra accounts, but they can't waste 8 hours voting over and over.

Edited by spanana
  • Useful 3
  • Love 11

I feel so bad for Brandon, I cant wait for him to get the right partner who is a contender and has a fanbase to keep them in because the dude is talented. He had a great dancer in Tinashe last season but she just didnt have the fanbase. Im not upset about Mary leaving, she wasnt going to improve that much and her age was going to get in her way but I do feel bad for Brandon.

Hannah did lot a better tonight but for some reason I think she will be better at slower dances than fast uptempo. For some reason I just dont see her doing well with those but she may surprise me, im still not really feeling her tho.

Karamo did better tonight but I still dont like JJ. I just cant with her I truly wish he was partnered with someone else.

Kel surprised me, He did well. Whitney and Him will be the cool couple of the season for however he stays in the competition. Whitney usually does well with swaggy guys so im expected good routines by them as he continues to get better.

• Love 6

Oh, I forgot the other annoying thing.  Ally seems like a nice enough women but she also seems very overdramatic.  The whole package about being bullied for her bad dancing, which I mean I know that isn't fun and 5th Harmony fans were insane, but the whole group sucked at dancing minus Normani and maybe Dinah so it wasn't just her and I just feel like if the worst thing people are saying about you is that you suck at a dancer...I don't know.  Normani was actually receiving full on racist hate from fans so maybe being a bad dancer isn't on par with that?  Just seems a tad melodramatic and then the tears afterwards?

And this is more on the part of the show, but they need to dial back that Sailor is a hero for stepping in for her mom angle (GMA actually posted a tweet today about how Sailor was the hero of week one).  I don't think they know what hero means but also Christie is fine.  Everyone is fine.  It's just a dance show.

• Love 15
2 minutes ago, spanana said:

Oh, I forgot the other annoying thing.  Ally seems like a nice enough women but she also seems very overdramatic.  The whole package about being bullied for her bad dancing, which I mean I know that isn't fun and 5th Harmony fans were insane, but the whole group sucked at dancing minus Normani and maybe Dinah so it wasn't just her and I just feel like if the worst thing people are saying about you is that you suck at a dancer...I don't know.  Normani was actually receiving full on racist hate from fans so maybe being a bad dancer isn't on par with that?  Just seems a tad melodramatic and then the tears afterwards?

And this is more on the part of the show, but they need to dial back that Sailor is a hero for stepping in for her mom angle (GMA actually posted a tweet today about how Sailor was the hero of week one).  I don't think they know what hero means but also Christie is fine.  Everyone is fine.  It's just a dance show.

Although being bullied by a bunch of racists may be on a higher scale than ur dancing, I wouldnt say it still may not hurt just as bad esp if ur in group and being compared to ur bandmates. I think all the girls were being bullied in the group for different things, it just comes with being a pop group I can imagine. However, I hope Ally doesnt use that angle throughout the competition. Im glad she is doing something to make her feel good and lift her up on a personal note and truly hope she comes out of this a better dancer but I do hope she drops the narrative she was a bad dancer because it may do more harm than good for stay in the show. Normani mentioned her bullying once while on the show and that is all she needed to do for people to understand her journey on the show, I hope Ally takes suit.

Sean Spicer needs to go but he want go anywhere. He better be lucky he got Lindsay because think any other pro would having packing real quick. Lindsay is a genius at making trainwrecks and noway in hell partners look like gold.

• Love 5

My favorites tonight were Kate, Hannah, Ally, & Kel. I think Len was way too harsh with Ally & Karamo. I couldn't believe he gave Karamo and Sean the same score. 

Lauren was okay but I didn't love the choreography. I honestly wish she would have gotten Brandon instead of Gleb. 

I would have rather it been Sean but I wasn't really surprised to see Mary leave. 

• Love 5
45 minutes ago, angelamh66 said:

In what universe is Sean getting the same score as Karamo from Len? In what universe is Sean not in the bottom 2? He has zero charm. 

Controversy sells and they want him to continue on the show.  They are giving him a good "story line".

• Love 9
8 minutes ago, Ethelbeavers said:

Lauren was okay but I didn't love the choreography. I honestly wish she would have gotten Brandon instead of Gleb. 

Nah, im no Gleb fan but I think Lauren makes a good partner for him vs someone like Brandon who has a more quite personality. Lauren is kinda sassy and direct which is Gleb personality wise.

• Love 3

I hate, hate, hate the booing when Len has a ‘bad’ critique.  Usually* it is constructive criticism and the stars/pros should listen to it over the fluff.  Kamaro actually seemed to respect it and will learn from it.

I thought the bottom two should of been Mary and Sean.  I don’t see any potential growth from either of them.  Of course Mary is 75 so that makes sense.

Love Kel, Hannah, James, Kate, Kamaro so far. *when he nit picks on ‘fluff’ I think is dumb. 

• Love 6

So, after this second week, I think I figured out who I'd love to see in the finale:

James/Emma, Hannah/Alan, Kel/Witney, and Kate/Pasha. Those four were really good tonight, as I rewatch the dances. James and Hannah already started off strong and have the most potential to win. Kel and Kate are both celebs who may not be strong dancers right off the bat, but they show so much promise and they both had much better second weeks.

• Love 12
1 minute ago, LBS said:

I hate, hate, hate the booing when Len has a ‘bad’ critique.  Usually* it is constructive criticism and the stars/pros should listen to it over the fluff.  Kamaro actually seemed to respect it and will learn from it.

I thought the bottom two should of been Mary and Sean.  I don’t see any potential growth from either of them.  Of course Mary is 75 so that makes sense.

Love Kel, Hannah, James, Kate, Kamaro so far. *when he nit picks on ‘fluff’ I think is dumb. 

I'm surprised that you see any dancing potential in Lamar.  Spicer was a tad better than last week.  I can hardly even watch Lamar - so painful.

I thought Kel was good last week.  The are downplaying him during the first weeks.  I enjoyed him this week as well.  Never saw him as a child actor- he is new to me.

• Love 7

Again, Ally did great tonight but I truly hopes she let go of I was bullied for dancing. Im telling u that may hurt her. I dont see her winning this thing but I do want see her stay long enough to see her reach her full potential as a dancer. I want her have that accomplishment of feeling like a dancer for herself and not others. I wonder will Normani pay her visit, I know that girl is super busy but I think it would be nice if she showed up for encouragement then again that may not be a good idea either because I really think she needs to stir clear of anything 5th harmony related and create her own image.

• Love 2

So, setting aside the fact that Lamar should've gone first (or Spicer, even though I knew there was zero chance that was happening)....wtf on Bruno and Len? Did they not score Mary and Brandon higher both last week and this week over Cheryl and Ray....and then they go ahead and vote to save Cheryl and Ray? That's cold man. And I say that, as someone who pretty much could care less about Brandon (or Mary for that matter).

Again, Lindsay is a wizard. She choreographs routines that are like optical illusions allowing awful dancers (that SS most definitely is) to somehow come off in a reasonably competent light.

Kate's the shock of the season so far, and yet I was still expecting her to be in the bottom 2 with someone else.

After two weeks, there's James and Hannah way up at the top, and then a notch down there's a logjam group of Ally, Lauren, Karamo, Kate, and Sailor. And then farther down is Kel in his own middling tier . Finally, you've got Lamar, Ray and SS well below everyone else.

I wondered how DWTS was going to treat the elephant in the room regarding Lamar. Especially when overcoming life threatening situations is such a staple of DWTS contestants like Bonner, Victoria, James, etc. So they just let Lamar lie. He ended up a coma after a drug and prostitute filled bender at one of Nevada's legal brothels. Not exactly, a DWTS redemption story for the ages...

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, Kira53 said:

I'm surprised that you see any dancing potential in Lamar.  Spicer was a tad better than last week.  I can hardly even watch Lamar - so painful.

Ugh. That’s me also being a hypocrite.  I feel for Lamar as a human and I want him to do better. Not as a winner but to get a legitimate 6 from Len/Bruno and maybe a Carrie Ann seven in week 4 and then he goes.  His sadness and his  documented mental health issues makes me worried for him. Spicer was a better dancer this week by a super low margin and he’s also a POS so I wanted him in the B2

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, LBS said:

Ugh. That’s me also being a hypocrite.  I feel for Lamar as a human and I want him to do better. Not as a winner but to get a legitimate 6 from Len/Bruno and maybe a Carrie Ann seven in week 4 and then he goes.  His sadness and his  documented mental health issues makes me worried for him. Spicer was a better dancer this week by a super low margin and he’s also a POS so I wanted him in the B2

Feeling sorry for Lamar should not be the reason to vote and keep him.  It isn't fair to the other contestants.  It also isn't doing him any favors.   It doesn't even look as if he wants to be on the show.  He should have been the one to go.

• Love 15

I like the way the show announced that they recognize how young Sailor is and they will not be showmancing her and Val.  Good to know.  I"m guessing that Sailor's boyfriend has allowed this intrusion into his own life (I mean his pic and his self being shown on international tv) because he's starved for fame like the rest of Brinkley and her attachments seem to be.

I thought Pasha's choreography was note perfect and I really hope that Kate can last a fairly long time, based on this outing (she was twinkling on her feet out there, like WOW).  I, personally, believe America is too shallow to keep her going as long as this dance would suggest she deserves, but I'd be very happy to have it proven otherwise -- that they'll vote for a wrinkly woman for as long as she deserves.  And she will always be able to look back at this dance with serious pride.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Ethelbeavers said:

Nah, im no Gleb fan but I think Lauren makes a good partner for him vs someone like Brandon who has a more quite personality. Lauren is kinda sassy and direct which is Gleb personality wise.

Just now, Sarah Heart said:

I know. I feel awful, because I don't think he should be on this show. I thought he'd be going home! Especially over Mary. He didn't look happy, he cannot dance, honestly, I have no idea why he'd get the votes

I feel sorry for Lamar but not enough to want see him continue on in the competition, now by all means he can stay over SS but thats not even enough. I never am the one to vote for root for someone over pity, to me u have to have the whole package or atleast half of the package and unfortunately Lamar has neither.

• Love 5

I'm disappointed, but not surprised based on the last five years or so of results, that Mary is out so soon.  I thought she was clearly game and giving it her all, and wished her well.  Of course there was no question of her winning, but I expected women above 18-49, who I understand make up a large part of the show's audience, would have been more interested in her. My mother, a conservative lady over 60 (but only just, she'd want you to know), adores the Supremes and was thrilled when I mentioned Mary would be appearing.  I really did think she'd make it at least a few weeks.

I am of course aware that the Kardashians and their adjacent are objects of curiosity, but if you'd told me Lamar would outlast Mary given the show's demographics, I wouldn't've believed it.  And Ray too?  Odd.  Spicer I get, unfortunately.  But color me meh.  I'm surprised sometimes that I used to find this show so feel-good and interesting.  This judges' save business, along with the live voting, is the cherry on top of the shit sundae.  Just more contrivance and draaamaaaaaa.  It's exhausting, and so is the show, for me.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 6

Kate was so good!  I loved her routine. I also love her. So... biased.

I still liked The Beek.  I thought it was better than judged. Think he'll be around til the final, but I'm not sure it's a lock.

Holy Heck, Kel is charming. I'm not sure about the dance, but I was smiling. I agree it had an ease about it.  

WTF was up with the fog at the feet of Ally and Sasha?  I couldn't even see the footwork.  I suspect it was not great.  It looked a little awkward.  I might have just been annoyed by not being about to see.

I liked Karamo.  I fully admit that I was charmed by his future mother-in-law and the use of Prince.

I had forgotten about Lamar's accident.  That would be so hard.  Dancing is combinations and muscle memory.  He hasn't been doing this long enough to have the muscle memory and memorizing combinations with TBI induced short term memory loss is hard to imagine.

Hannah was sweet.  But I cannot care about her.  I'm a jerk. 

Sorry to see Mary go, but I'm not surprised.  Don't mind Ray, but also not all that interested. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, 853fisher said:

I'm disappointed, but not surprised based on the last five years or so of results, that Mary is out so soon.  I thought she was clearly game and giving it her all, and wished her well.  Of course there was no question of her winning, but I expected women above 18-49, who I understand make up a large part of the show's audience, would have been more interested in her. My mother, a conservative lady over 60 (but only just, she'd want you to know), adores the Supremes and was thrilled when I mentioned Mary would be appearing.  I really did think she'd make it at least a few weeks.

I'm 61 and go back to the beginning with the Supremes when I was a kid - As much as I hate to say this, the two lesser Supremes were never well known enough on their own for her to have the name recognition to get enough votes to overcome her scores, especially with a younger public and especially after all these years.  And I'm sure there are some older folks who love her, but aren't that crazy about her like they would be for a bigger star.  And it's too bad because she is incredible and I would have loved for her to continue.  I have hated how in recent years this show had gotten away from having enough older legends on the show to keep the variety, and I think it was great that they were going to have her and Christie on the show.  Well, it's too bad how that turned out.  I don't know if Len made the right decision to send her home, but I do sense that he agonized over it.  Although a part of me wonders if that was a gimmick and she was going to go home anyway.

• Love 3

Man, Lamar is a terrible dancer. Peta slowed down the tempo of the simplest steps and he could barely do them. He also didn't have this routine memorized because he had to keep looking at her when they were side by side (when she couldn't tell him what to do next as she was obviously doing while they were in hold). I think this is the slowest salsa I have ever seen in my life.

Hannah's Viennese waltz was good. It wasn't mind blowingly great but she is coordinated and handling Alan's choreography well. I wish he wouldn't put some of those quick movements in. I'm all for creating some contrast, but some of it looked out of place for a waltz.

Kel's Bobby Brown samba was fun. He's not a ringer but he has a lot of natural dance ability and he's clearly having so much fun. Witney has been dancing long enough that she should know better than to mouth the words when she's performing.

Kate was good, but the foxtrot is not the kind of dance that gets votes. I liked how quick and light her footwork was at the beginning of the routine. Pasha is doing a good job giving her choreography with content that she's able to execute competently.

Karamo is in the same category as Kel for me - he has natural ability but definitely has room for improvement. Like Kel, he looks like he's having  blast which makes it easy for me to enjoy his performances and root for him. I'm not sure whether to be happy or sad that Prince's music can be used so easily now that he's dead. On the one hand, yay for hearing one of his songs! On the other hand, if he were alive he would have said no.

Lauren's paso was okay but not great. She learned the choreography (which is more than I can say for Lamar) but she has an awkward way of moving. I will give her credit for really committing to the movements though. There was no hesitation and she was aggressive with her dancing.

Mary's cha cha was one of the lesser performances of the night, but she was still better than Lamar so I'm sad she was eliminated. She had conviction in her performance from the shoulders up, but from the arms down she was a bit tentative and not strong enough in her movements.

Ally is in the same group with Lauren for me. She's fine but she isn't great. She learned the routine but she's a bit sloppy and awkward with her movements.

Sailor's rumba was meh. She dances the way I expect a lot of contestants on this show to do - not falling over from tripping over their own feet but clearly not dancers. I didn't like Val's choreography either. There was too much of Sailor standing still or posing. She's not terrible enough that he needs to do that. Her hip action was pretty non-existent though.

James was the best combination of execution and performance tonight. His dancing wasn't perfect but he was definitely selling that routine. There are moments when he hits certain moves or lines that look so great and then there are moments where you can definitely tell he isn't a dancer.

• Love 7

“Shut Up and Dance” by Walk the Moon is a great song in general, but is it wrong that I hope Lindsay was throwing shade at her partner with the song choice? It also didn’t get mentioned in the intro package, which was smart on someone’s end.

Can you imagine the crap that would have ended up on Twitter had she mentioned the title on camera?

She told him to shut up! For no reason! It’s because he goes to Church! 

I am no fan of anyone or anything Kardashian, but I did see Kim Kardashian’s BFF Jonathan Cheban (ugh! Why do I know this stuff?) at one of the tables tonight. He wasn’t there to cheer on Lamar, but he gave Jenna a run for her money while playing “Who can be on screen the most?”

Lamar: “...after my accident...” 

Send him home. Now.

I don’t appreciate people lying or revising history because they don’t have the ability to be honest. Also, he looks absolutely miserable. Who wants to watch anyone that unhappy or irritable on TV? Not me.

Go Kate Flannery!!!! 

• Love 9

The two astronauts dancing on the stage behind Kate and Pasha were ridiculous! I was imagining two random people just standing around during rehearsal and one of the producers said, "Put these two in astronaut suits. Don't worry if you can't dance. I just need you to do a few pas de bourées or something. No one will be looking at you anyway."

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, LBS said:

The criticism makes sense ,except for when he says just do the DAHNCE without all the fluff. It's not their fault that they have to add fluff, or that their music is hip hop.. or that they have some props in the background. The show requires it and it's the show that wants big and flashy numbers. Sometimes the contestants get terrible songs to work with, but they are given the music so I hate when Len says stuff about the type of dance or the song.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, spanana said:

I tell you where Ally lost me quickly... she goes right from, oh, I was bullied (more like criticized like any celebrity) online for my dancing! .... to I am so busy with my solo career and concerts, etc, etc.  At that point I am thinking...okay, so you are willing to take the fans and fame for your benefit but do not realize that you will be criticized along the way?  I mean..... not that it is right, but I think most famous people know they have to ignore the haters as they say because they will be there.  It isn't like she has had no success, and all she knows in her life is "bullying".  I just didn't care for her carrying that storyline.

• Love 10

Thank you, show, for giving us back not only the disembodied voice but the theme song! I didn't realize how much I missed it but now I find myself bopping my head to it every time it plays.

I enjoyed James again, I was really impressed by Kate and I liked Kel. Otherwise I'm kind of meh on everyone else. For the second week in a row, no one has really grabbed me.

I do want to give kudos to Erin for the pep talk she gave Lamar. Not that I'm a fan of him or his partner and would've rather seen them go last night but Lamar was and is clearly down on himself and after the comments he got from the judges, which you could tell really upset him, I thought he really needed that. And I thought last night was one of her best looks ever.

I've never been a huge Christie Brinkley fan. I hated her when she got caught cheating on Billy Joel with that helicopter accident, but now I tolerate her. I was looking forward to her because she was the one celeb I knew this season. But now she can just leave my screen already. Freakin' attention wh0re (I hope we can say that!).

I don't see how this new voting structure is going to prevent what happened last season. In fact I think it's only going to make it worse. The judges can't push out the worst dancers if the worst dancers aren't even getting into the bottom 2. As long as people can vote online, they're going to power vote. This isn't the fans of the show or the celebs -- it's the fans of these younger pros who started in the troupe and spent all their time tweeting with fans while they tried to make pro. Those fans now think they have a BFF for life and are going to power vote for them every time. They could easily fix this problem if they only allowed phone and text voting. People can create thousands of e-mail accounts to power vote but they're not going to go out and buy thousands of phones. I also think the live vote only in certain time zones contributes to this, as people on the west coast don't even get to see the dances, so they just vote for their favorites.......and most of the time, that's a pro. 

• Love 11
9 hours ago, crowceilidh said:

I like the way the show announced that they recognize how young Sailor is and they will not be showmancing her and Val.  

Val is married to Jenna, so no, they will not be showmancing him.

And not Alan and Hannah either, I think, because it looks like Alan might be dating the new blonde in the troupe.

• Love 2

When Ally started her segment on the on-line bullying and began crying I thought I got in some time vortex and we were at the "My Most Memorable Year/Day/Moment/Hour AKA Sob Story" week.   I understand that she went through profane pain and the internet can be a horrible, horrible cesspool of keyboard warriors.  I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.  However, it felt a bit manipulative to get the judges to judge her more gently.  

• Love 8
8 hours ago, RachelKM said:

I liked Karamo.  I fully admit that I was charmed by his future mother-in-law and the use of Prince.

I think my favorite part of the night was watching Tom bopping along to the song while Karamo was dancing. No one can resist the power of Prince! 😊

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

I enjoyed James again, I was really impressed by Kate and I liked Kel. Otherwise I'm kind of meh on everyone else. For the second week in a row, no one has really grabbed me.

Same. I'd be happy with that Final 3.  I was thinking that Kate might be oldest Final 3 contestant but she would not be - Jennifer Grey was 50 (and a half) when she won her season (season 11) in 2010 and Kirstie Alley was 60 when she placed 2nd  in hers (season 12 in 2011),  That gives me hope for Kate going the distance.  I loved her and Pasha's costumes.  

• Love 6
44 minutes ago, Just Carol said:

And not Alan and Hannah either, I think, because it looks like Alan might be dating the new blonde in the troupe.

The new blonde is married to the new male pro if I'm not mistaken.

• Love 1

Since when is "Fly me to the Moon," about space travel? It's a metaphor! I didn't see the astronauts, but suddenly people were wearing antennas and alien glasses? It made no sense at all, and didn't go with the dance or the costumes or anything. Also...that was NOT Frank Sinatra. Don't promise us Sinatra and deliver Joe Shmoe. 

What I love about this show is when they find a hidden talent like James Hinchcliff (?) Don't see that happening this season, so far.

Sean Spicer's campaign? Blecch!

• Love 5

I like the way the show announced that they recognize how young Sailor is and they will not be showmancing her and Val.  

Ooops.  Thanks Just Carol.  I'm amused by how completely I had forgotten that.  Val and Jenna would not be pleased with me having just blown off all that wedding publicity like that.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Just Carol said:

Alan isn't dating anyone and there is no troupe so just curious who you mean? 

ETA: If you mean Daniela, she is with new pro Pasha.  Alan is single as far as I know.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, vdw84 said:

Although being bullied by a bunch of racists may be on a higher scale than ur dancing, I wouldnt say it still may not hurt just as bad esp if ur in group and being compared to ur bandmates. I think all the girls were being bullied in the group for different things, it just comes with being a pop group I can imagine. However, I hope Ally doesnt use that angle throughout the competition. Im glad she is doing something to make her feel good and lift her up on a personal note and truly hope she comes out of this a better dancer but I do hope she drops the narrative she was a bad dancer because it may do more harm than good for stay in the show. Normani mentioned her bullying once while on the show and that is all she needed to do for people to understand her journey on the show, I hope Ally takes suit.

Being bullied by racists is IMO a much higher scale than having people making fun of your dancing, and I don't doubt the latter happened.  But also it stood out because I remember 3/5 of Fifth Harmony being made fun of for their dancing and I don't even think Ally was the worst. Camila whats her face was awful.

I also don't doubt that it hurts to be made fun of publicly like that and I don't think people in the public eye deserve it, but there is also this line of if you want the super fame and all the perks, there is a downside to it as well that you can't have have the positives without having some haters as well.  There is nobody in the business that doesn't deal with that on some level and the bigger a star you are, the harder people will come for you.

But I do agree it's also just really early to be trotting out the sob stories.  It's week 2.  Now that she's done it it should be left alone but I kind of feel like it's going to be a constant arc they are creating around her.

Also I think in general I would just be more behind her if she was doing it tongue in cheek getting back at her haters as opposed to the (seemingly) constant near tears.

• Love 6

I think this is Hannah's to lose. She's got it all...dance ability, personality, big fanbase.

James and Kate are definitely a lot stronger at ballroom than Latin. Kate was probably the most improved last night. You go, Girl.

Ally and Lauren aren't bad, but they annoy me. Not as bad as Spicer, though. How did he become a press secretary with that annoying, high-pitched voice??? He needs to go, fast.

I do feel bad for Lamar. Someone with mental health issues just shouldn't be on this show. Although Peta seems patient and kind, this looks like it's too much for him. Their reaction to being called safe was priceless, though!

• Love 9