Type keyword(s) to search

S28.E02: First Elimination

• Start Topic

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 5:10 AM, Yeah No said:

I was all set to love your post and then I read this.  Why should Mary's age have anything to do with her elimination?  That would be age discrimination.

There's been a lot of back and forth on this but I actually made the original post that started this particular discussion point and haven't had a chance to jump in since so please allow me to say this:

Yeah No is correct that I inserted the criteria regarding age and don't really have any definitive knowledge about whether Len or Bruno considered Mary's and Ray's relative ages in choosing Mary for elimination.  Actually, I don't believe they eliminated her because she was the oldest contestant and certainly didn't intend to imply anything of the sort. I believe they eliminated her because they thought she showed less potential to improve over the next few weeks compared to Ray. That conclusion might be accurate or inaccurate, and it is possible that her age contributed to them drawing that conclusion, but I don't know that to be the case for certain.  Regardless, I think they made the appropriate decision for the appropriate reasons, age not being the issue.

Nevertheless,  to point out that age is generally inversely correlated with physical/athletic abilities (on a population level) does not seem unreasonable, especially as the number continues to advance into, say, the eighth decade of life and beyond.  OTOH, pointing out that individuals should be judged on their individual merit/abilities rather than be judged on generalized population level characteristics attributed to them is also reasonable.  If Mary had danced well, I would have been supportive of having her continue on all the way to the finale, regardless of being young or old, but she did not.  I believe being 75 may well have contributed in some fashion to her mediocre dancing, but I also believe she was eliminated based on her mediocre dancing, not how many candles were on her last birthday cake.  In other words, she was judged on her individual merits/abilities.  Her physical abilities are part of that judgment and one's physical abilities are not fully independent of age, among a whole slew of other predictors.

What I didn't say about the contestant was recognizing her for her music legend/icon status, her wonderful attitude and effort during her short time there, and her grace despite poor scores and quick elimination.  She raises the dignity and stature of the show by participating, especially in light of some of the other contestants this season.  I'm glad the producers invited her and that she participated.  She was a class act all the way.  I also have no problem with her leaving the competition early.

• Love 6

Yeah no, I so agree with so much of what you've said, it's shocking when all of sudden, you're too old to function and are discriminated against because of it. I, too, was forced into early retirement at 62, then in rapid succession, two other older employees of the same place were let go, of course, it was age discrimination, but it was all tied up in pretty bows by the employer as being our own fault, there is nothing that can be proven. I am sad that Mary was eliminated, I was so hoping that spicer would go, but pretty sure he wouldn't, I'd really like to see Lamar go, because I think he's miserable and this is too much for him. I enjoyed Mary's dancing, it wasn't the best, it's just harder as you get older and incredibly frustrating to not be able to do things you think you should. And as I start pushing 70, it's shocking that it's assumed that I'm senile as well as incapable of doing things I used to. It seemed to happen overnight.

• Love 1

I actually think the show would be happy with a James win.  It will attract more legit names to the show.  I would not under estimate his fan base.  He is more than just Dawson.  His show Pose is very popular.  He was just at The Emmys and he is very well known by the mainstream media.

He's the one I'm rooting for so far. He has ability and you can tell he's having so much fun. He's basically the exact opposite of Lamar.

• Love 5

Were the DWTS producers trolling Spicer with his song choice - Shut Up And Dance? Like, just shut yer trap and just do what you're supposed to be doing, Spicy.

Lamar Odom looks so crestfallen during the judges' critiques. I almost feel really sorry for the bloke.

Loving Kate!

• Love 4
13 hours ago, luvthepros said:

Just now got to watch the first elimination show. I'm not enjoying this group. Honestly, the only really good dancer is Hannah. Some are passable: the rest are just awful.

Same here. Hannah is really the only one who is that interesting (her dancing, anyway). James is okay, and the rest are pretty meh.

• Love 1