Type keyword(s) to search

Future Co-Hosts Talk and Speculation: Musical Chairs

mtlchick
  • Start Topic

Two Rosies! hah!

Love the idea of Rosie Perez and Nicolle Williams. Wonder if they'll wait a few months to see now things mesh a d what chemistry the four have before deciding to add a fifth cohost. Maybe no fifth cohost, just bringing in a guest cohost for a full week or two would be an interesting change.

P.S. Is Wallace a lawyer? I really liked having someone who could give a sound legal opinion on some of the things they discuss.

Edited by CathInAZ
  • Love 1

Not sure if Wallace is a lawyer but she served George W Bush as Communications Director for 3 years....and was in charge of grooming Palin to McCain during the election She was so dismayed by Palin she didn't even vote for McCain, lol.

Once again all co-hosts are over 40 yrs old, Guess the Bieber crap didn't pan out and they have decided to drop the younger demo. Not sure why they thought they would woo them into watching in the first place.

• Love 4

I'm just glad Sunny or Sippy didn't make the cut. I'm hoping if they add a 5th co-host is might be a younger person with experience like Lisa Ling who still had an innocence about her. While I like most of the choices it's still a bit annoying that we will end up with 3 actresses; at least all the women have shown they can get their points across in the past.

• Love 5

I haven't heard any buzz about a 5th cohost. Personally I hope they leave it at 4. IMHO 5 is too many, especially with a weak moderator like Whoopi, and too many if they continue the tradition of having all 5 on whatever the new version of the interview couch is.

The only reason they had 5 originally is because Barbara was only on air with them a couple of days a week. If I recall correctly (it was a loooooong time ago) Joy wasn't full-time originally first season either. As I recall, Joy only took the fourth seat on the days Barbara wasn't there. As Joy became more popular, they brought her on full-time and then there were 5 hosts only on the days Barbara was there. I remember enjoying the occasional times that Barbara was on because it was fun seeing a different side of her than we'd ever seen before, but a little went a long way with her. Over the years, as Barbara's ABC gigs begin to taper off, she started showing up on the show more often until eventually she was always there and 5 hosts 5 days a week became the norm (and guests rarely got to finish a sentence again).

• Love 7

I think it is ridiculous that they are adding a professional Republican operative to the panel. She isn't going to be interested in having a discussion. She is there to push GOP talking points. And in order to make it easier for her to win her arguments, they'll match her with 3 actresses who happen to be liberal. None of them are political operatives. If they were interested in a "fair and balanced" panel, they'd have a conservative actress to go with the panel or a professional Dem operative to go with Wallace.

Liberal media my ass.

• Love 5

I wish there was more diversity in the ages, but I don't think they would reach many young viewers regardless. Overall, very happy with the new panel! It definitely seems as if they're trying to go back to a calmer, more intelligent View. I agree with others that Rosie's voice is very grating, but she does always come across very composed/rational.

I didn't feel either way about October Gonzalez; she didn't seem bad, and she would have added a younger viewpoint. On the other hand, she did have the feel of a reality show star in the making, so I'm not disappointed either. Very happy we dodged the bullet with S.E. Cupp (thank you Rosie O) and Sunny Hostin! They would have just been a repeat of Elisabeth and Sherri, respectively, imo.

I wonder if they'll solve the two Rosie's problem by calling one "Ro" and the other "Rosie" perhaps?

• Love 2

"Overall, very happy with the new panel! It definitely seems as if they're trying to go back to a calmer, more intelligent View."

Having witnessed Wallace on Morning Joe for the past year or so, I could not disagree with this statement more. She's nothing but a rah-rah mouthpiece for the Republican party. The good thing is that when pressed for facts or when someone tries to move her beyond her talking points, her idiocy is quickly exposed. Not so sure how she'll do on non-political issues.

(Sorry, TheGreenKnight, I think my post came off as more confrontational that I realized. Nicole brings out strong feelings in me!)

Edited by Jessie Q
  • Love 4

I'm pleased with the choices, but yes, it looks like diversity of age got left out of the equation.

Having witnessed Wallace on Morning Joe for the past year or so, I could not disagree with this statement more. She's nothing but a rah-rah mouthpiece for the Republican party. The good thing is that when pressed for facts or when someone tries to move her beyond her talking points, her idiocy is quickly exposed. Not so sure how she'll do on non-political issues.

I couldn't disagree with this more if I tried.  She's a moderate Republican that uses the humor of Republican talking points proven a little true to poke at so-called "Liberal" Mika and it's sort of funny because Mika is not liberal by any means and is the real dumb blonde on that show, amazing given her pedigree.  To appreciate Wallace more, look for her in clips with Rachel Maddow, where they cheerfully debate and agree to disagree whilst expressing a true appreciation of each other.  I think Wallace was an excellent choice as Host, she is no freaking Rabid Bitsy.

p.s. THANK THE GAWD ABOVE for NO S E CUPP!!!!

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 5

Once again all co-hosts are over 40 yrs old, Guess the Bieber crap didn't pan out and they have decided to drop the younger demo. Not sure why they thought they would woo them into watching in the first place.

Good, hopefully the crap of Sherri googly eyed at Beiber in his underwear will not carry over.

• Love 2

My initial reaction to RP was a big, fat, resounding BLECH, but I will try to be more open and less judgy since she's receiving fairly positive comments here. I have never seen nor heard of Wallace. Fingers crossed that she's not merely another interchangeable Republican hate machine.

• Love 3

While Nicole Wallace isn't as bad as Elisabeth she is still a Republican mouthpiece.  The only good thing I can say about her is she saw Sarah Palin for the complete idiot that she is.

Was never a big fan of Rosie Perez as an actress and am a little perplexed as to why she was hired.  I guess I can see ABC wanting to  hire a Latina with name recognition and Rosie wanting a steady gig instead of always being on a movie set but I don't know. 

I personally am glad ABC didn't hire someone young.  They have tried to appeal to a younger audience for a few years now with their emphasis on reality TV.  And as far as I can tell all they did was end up alienating the audience they already had, myself included.

• Love 9

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when the top notch research assistants figured out that October isn't a Latina.  Oops.  Good thing they had Rosie Perez on speed dial.  (And do you think they checked her birth certificate before offering the job?  LOL)

• Love 3

I'm thrilled about the Rosie Perez addition.  I thought of her early on but heard she was shooting a new pilot that was in hopes of getting picked up so I thought that was a lost cause. 

For those of you not sure about Rosie P, I urge you to watch her last years interviews she did while promoting her auto-biography last year, you can find a lot of them on youtube.  Rosie P, has a great charm about her, and the woman has lived a life.  She talks about being declared property of the catholic church when her parents abandoned her, and the abuse she suffered.  How she was diagnosed with PTSD and how she carried that with her in her interactions with men and women in Hollywood before she really got help for it.  Really fascinating.

We always talk about how The View, would only get the big guests a lot of time because of Whoopi's relationships with them, but with Rosie O, and Rosie P on I think that opens them up to really becoming a top tier stop when it comes to booking high profile guests.

Also Rosie P, Rosie O, and Whoopi do share an innate interest in a lot of women's issues and topics that don't always get brought up in mainstream so hopefully their combined influence and new Executive Producer could help bring those topics to light a little more.

• Love 10

I look forward to the confusion from having 2 hosts named Rosie.

I wonder if the show is deluding itself that it might actually come off as funny (it might... once or twice, and then be tiresome after that).

3 women in their 50s (Rosie Perez turns 50 on Saturday) and one woman in her 40s. Yeay for age diversity!

Maybe the show should be renamed "The AARP View".

We always talk about how The View, would only get the big guests a lot of time because of Whoopi's relationships with them, but with Rosie O, and Rosie P on I think that opens them up to really becoming a top tier stop when it comes to booking high profile guests.

Also Rosie P, Rosie O, and Whoopi do share an innate interest in a lot of women's issues and topics that don't always get brought up in mainstream so hopefully their combined influence and new Executive Producer could help bring those topics to light a little more.

Yes, but with the TYPE of fame the three all have in common, all that's been shored up is The View's ability to get A-List Hollywood people.  In other words, the show has moved even further away from other types of credibility.

I'm sure their number of segments on who's dating who in Hollywood, or how hot George Clooney is, or the number of times they'll get Selina Gomez or Ariana Grande appearing will go up.  Wow.  Just what the show needed!

• Love 4

I wonder if the show is deluding itself that it might actually come off as funny (it might... once or twice, and then be tiresome after that).

Maybe the show should be renamed "The AARP View".

Yes, but with the TYPE of fame the three all have in common, all that's been shored up is The View's ability to get A-List Hollywood people.  In other words, the show has moved even further away from other types of credibility.

I'm sure their number of segments on who's dating who in Hollywood, or how hot George Clooney is, or the number of times they'll get Selina Gomez or Ariana Grande appearing will go up.  Wow.  Just what the show needed!

I don't understand what you mean.  How would getting legitimate credible people in the entertainment industry hinder their credibility in discussing other topics.  You aren't implying that just because Whoopi and both Rosie's are actresses that somehow they will dumb down the show?

No offense to Ariana Grande or Selena Gomez but that wasn't what I was referring to when I mentioned that Whoopi's, and both Rosie's experiences in Hollywood would garner a better class of celebrity guest.

• Love 2

Wouldn't that be nice? The show the way it was supposed to be, correct? Let's tell ABC to update. This is the current description:

The View is ABC Daytime's morning chatfest, featuring Barbara Walters, Whoopi Goldberg, Sherri Shepherd and Jenny McCarthy discussing the most exciting events of the day. Hot topics in the news, the best experts in their field, celebrity interviews and general entertainment are all part of The View, now in its 17th season on ABC.

With the addition of Nicolle, who admits she couldn't vote for McCain after Palin was added to the ticket and revealed her true colors, do you think that The View will be forever Palin-free?  I hope so.  Also hope that it will be Trump-free because of RosieO.  Both possibilities make me very happy.

• Love 10

Whenever I think of Rosie Perez I think of the time she was on The Chew.  She was supposed to be preparing some dish with host Clinton Kelly but she didn't like the recipe and she didn't want to do this or that and she didn't think it was authentic and on and on and on.  Clinton kept staring into the camera with a "Please help me." look on his face.  So wrong and yet so so funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUX9aRI1qQE

Edited by Qoass
  • Love 1

I find the discussion that Rosie Perez needs to take voice lessons kinda strange. To me, that is saying she needs to sound more white, and while she obviously has an accent and can pronounce a word in a different manner, I never have trouble understanding what she says. It's like Palin always dropping her g's. People talk differently, get over it. At least she knows the world is round.

Is Rosie not articulate enough for you in this clip?

I don't get it. Edited by Morbs
  • Love 8

Aren't people referring to Rosie P's vocal tone rather than her pronunciation?  At least that is what I notice more than any pronunciation.  I'm going to see how it (the tonal quality) works every day over the long haul.

Granted I hated Bitsy for the stupid things she said and the strident manner in which she said them and her attack dog persona, but honestly her schreeching bothered me as much if not more than the "content" (such as it was) of what she said.  Sometimes I turned it off so I could check to see if my ears were bleeding.  If ever anyone needed a vocal coach it was/is our beloved le bits.

If Rosie P rises to that level, I will be sad, 'cause I like the girl - so far.

• Love 3

Thanks for the link Morbs. I'd forgotten about that interview and that wonderful anti Mitt video that she did. I have to agree with kaygeeret. My sense has not been that people have trouble understanding RP because of her accent. It's the tonal quality of her voice which can be quite nasal, combined with the accent, that I think grates on some folk's nerves. From some interviews and other things I've seen, when she gets excited or when she's going for comedic effect she tends to get louder and exaggerate it quite a bit. I think a little of that probably goes a long way for some ears.

• Love 1

I find the discussion that Rosie Perez needs to take voice lessons kinda strange. To me, that is saying she needs to sound more white, and while she obviously has an accent and can pronounce a word in a different manner, I never have trouble understanding what she says. It's like Palin always dropping her g's. People talk differently, get over it. At least she knows the world is round.Is Rosie not articulate enough for you in this clip?

I don't get it.

I agree with you, but Palin dropping her G's is Sooooo grating to me. Rosie's voice doesn't bother me, but does seen to bother others.

I admit, I had been drinking wine during my original comment and in a bad mood, so I was harsher than I normally would be. If people have trouble with her tone, I guess I shouldn't hold it against them because we all have our own personal tastes. But I much prefer the way Rosie talks to Elisabeth, who couldn't form a sentence to save her life.

• Love 2

Thanks for posting that video Morbs. I think Rosie will be a great co-host.

As for those applauding the choice of Nicole Wallace, I'll check back here in a month or so to see what you think of her and her incessant hyena like laughter. It's constant and makes your ears bleed. She well and truly earned the nickname Cackles and together with her non-stop spouting of right wing talking points, I think she'll be as unpopular as Bitsy. Perhaps (hopefully) the Rosies and Whoopi will be able to keep her reined in a bit.

• Love 2

Thanks for posting that cooking clip with Rosie and Clinton. So funny, but they were both good natured and authentic. Clinton admitted to being jet lagged and made the segment entertaining. Nice to see Rosie speak up about how she made it and what she used in her own version...she will not be one to sit back and try to present a calculated, safe image (like Lizzie) to an audience.

Well, my DVR is set to record The View everyday now. First time I've had that on my recording schedule in many years! I always thought Rosie P was so adorable. Wasn't she the waitress in that movie with , ohhhh I forgot his name, but he played a strange dishwasher that got a baboon heart.. She was cute in that lottery ticket movie with Nickolas Cage. I just cannot wait! I will always love Ro no matter what, to me she's a genuine human being, not a phony bone in her body, she speaks her mind and what you see is what you get, her heart is exposed to all. I stopped liking Whoopi when she came on board, but maybe this new cast will let me see her in a different way. I just could not watch Bits or Sherri anymore and although I was happy when Bitsy took a hike, I never watched one single show with Jenny McCarthy. She just irks me for some reason. So, with that being said, I'm happy to be back with The View forums!

• Love 4

Wasn't she the waitress in that movie with , ohhhh I forgot his name, but he played a strange dishwasher that got a baboon heart..

Untamed Heart!  (I had a major crush on Christian Slater back then.) 

Setting up the PVR and keeping my fingers crossed. 

Edited by mtlchick
  • Love 1

Here is my opinion on how the panel needs to be structured next year. I think everyone has had their fix of Whoopi and Raven. Whoopi, who I love as a person and actress DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO MODERATE. She constantly goes on long rants and refuses to let others speak or share their opposing opinion. The view has not had a good moderator since Meredith. Raven, who does had the occasional quality "younger generation" opinion, you can tell that she just wants to fight or fake an angry face at someone. She tries too hard to be different and non conforming. 

Who needs to go:

Whoopi

Raven

Paula (fine with her being a fill-in)

My ideal panel: Meredith, Joy, Sunny, Jedediah/Nicolle/Kirsten, Candace, Sara Haines

Meredith: Her daytime show got cancelled, she can have whoopi's big salary.

Joy: comedic vet, brings stability to the show.

Sunny: nice opinion, and very educated on current topics. 

Jedediah/Nicolle Wallace or Kirsten Powers: We need a nice politics savy girl at the table. Doubt Nicolle would come back tho :(

Candace: with another conservative at the table, she may not feel the need to be representing the republican party as much and can focus more on her other strong suits: acting, faith, being a mother etc. 

Sara: moderate, in the know with politics, news and pop culture. and just a very likable person.

Contributors/back-up hosts:

Paula (plays devils advocate so much, I'm starting to think she is voting for trump)

Michelle (l like michelle, just not more than once or twice a week)

Sherri (same as michelle, like sherri in small doses)

Who do you want on the panel next season?

Edited by Bmarsh

Joy. Ann Coulter. Monique. Patricia Velásquez.. Kennedy. 

What can I say? I like The View when it's fiery. That's why Rosie's first run on the show is my favorite. I would pick her, but I can't see her coming back or being offered to do so. 

The only people who I feel need to go are Candace, Whoopi, and Raven. And keep that troll Jedediah away. A panel of Joy, Sara, Sunny, Michelle, and Paula would be nice to me. Joy and Paula are liberal and conservative, respectively, with the other three leaning different ways based on the topic. I'd take Padma over anyone not named Joy though.

I'd be up with several returning co-hosts, but I don't think most of the people I'd like to return would come back (Meredith, Rosie O, Lisa Ling, Star, Rosie Perez), and I definitely don't want Nicolle, Sherri, Jenny, or Elisabeth back on this show. I was grateful to see the back of them.

• Love 5