Type keyword(s) to search

Future Co-Hosts Talk and Speculation: Musical Chairs

mtlchick
  • Start Topic

I haven't heard any mention of Margaret Cho on this go-round.  I do like her comedy, but am not sure if she would be a good fit.  I will not watch if S.E. Cupp is chosen.  She just tries to steamroll over everyone and just repeats talking points.  I'd love to see Sara Haines chosen, but she may be too nice.

(edited)

If they are going to hire a 3rd and 4th, I'm thinking it's not someone who has guest co-hosted recently. I think ABC has had a vision for a while.

Edited by ginger90

I too would love to see Lisa on there again, but I won't stop there!  I'd also love to see some combination of Meredith, Joy, Star and Lisa with Rosie!  We all know that's not going to happen though.  Lisa has become accomplished, which I believe is why she left.  Meredith is getting her own show a la Katie.  Star and Joy, hey why not.  It worked before, and I miss them.

Are the current guest co-hosts auditioning?  I think they are.  It does seem kind of awkward up there, what with the two fired ones and those auditioning for their jobs.  I feel bad for them.  If it's an off sort of day, then they are at a disadvantage.  But I probably shouldn't feel bad for them.  If they want a post there, it is their responsibility to stand out, and assert themselves to be memorable in a good way.  No one said the business was fair.  If it was, we never would have had to endure Hasselbeck, much less for ten years - yikes!

The exception I think is Meghan.  I hope she's not auditioning.  Wasn't her first stint at guest co-hosting at least five years ago?  If so, they need to stop trying to make her happen there.  I don't mind her being a "friend" of the show, where she subs once or twice a year in a pinch when needed.  As for a permanent co-host spot for her, that ship has sailed.

Has Ana Navarro's name come up anywhere?  She's a conservative Latina, which I recall reading is what they are looking for.  I don't care for her one way or the other but I'm surprised I haven't heard her name being bandied around.  I think it's time they put less focus on any one person's political leanings and more on who is right for the job.  I didn't know way back then of any co-hosts political leanings (other than Joy and Star who were more vocal about it but not in-your-face vocal), and I didn't care.  It just didn't seem to matter.  They should be looking for true talent here, intelligent and entertaining.

I love Rosie, but I already know I won't watch if S.E. Cupp is on there with her.

(edited)

Are the current guest co-hosts auditioning?  I think they are.  It does seem kind of awkward up there, what with the two fired ones and those auditioning for their jobs.  I feel bad for them.  If it's an off sort of day, then they are at a disadvantage.  But I probably shouldn't feel bad for them.  If they want a post there, it is their responsibility to stand out, and assert themselves to be memorable in a good way.  No one said the business was fair.  If it was, we never would have had to endure Hasselbeck, much less for ten years - yikes!

Well, I'm a bitch you know, so I don't feel the slightest bit sorry for them. They sucked at their jobs, (especially Sherri), and they were grossly overpaid in relation to the amount of time and effort put forth.

I save my sympathy for the thousands of people in this country who have made average salaries and done very good jobs but were forced to train their replacements when the companies decided to cut costs and find cheaper labor. Many people in the IT field have had to do this and it's unbelievably difficult and unfair. Unlike Sherri and Jenny, they didn't have a few million in the bank to fall back on when they were left to find jobs in this shitty job market, with it being the death knell of their career in some cases.

Edited by LuckyBitch
  • Love 9

I agree with you completely, Lucky Bitch, and I apologize for not making my thoughts more clear.  I don't feel one iota sorry for the fired ones -  I couldn't care less about Sherri and Jenny (couldn't stand either of them).  I was referring to the auditioning hopefuls.  And in the end, I did make it clear that I don't feel sorry for them, either.

• Love 2
Sara Haines is too nice for this show; she would never take a controversial stance on something nor get into it with a cohost.

I liked her today--had never seen her before.  I enjoyed her gently/pleasantly correcting the author of "Plan D" about how many calories it takes to burn off a pound.  I'd vote for her as a new panel member.  She's cute, quick, and probably very smart.

The well known author: 500

Sara Haines: 3500

• Love 1

I think Sara stood up for herself well....especially for the first time on the show. She expressed her opinions and spoke up.

I think she would be a good addition and is also an ABC employee now since she left the 4th hour of NBC.....although jumping into this hornets nest may not be the best choice unless ABC has explained the new direction of the show to her.

Anyway, I liked her.

(edited)

The only time I saw Bev Johnson was when she was on The View.   Grammatical errors.  Know-it-all personality. Loud-talker.  No appeal at all for me.  I did like the way she dressed and hoped she could inspire Sherri.  Guess that ship has sailed.

Edited by Former Nun

I agree with you completely, Lucky Bitch, and I apologize for not making my thoughts more clear.  I don't feel one iota sorry for the fired ones -  I couldn't care less about Sherri and Jenny (couldn't stand either of them).  I was referring to the auditioning hopefuls.  And in the end, I did make it clear that I don't feel sorry for them, either.

@Dreamboat Annie, I'm the one who should be apologizing. I read your post wrong and thought you were referring to Sherri and Jenny, not the new co-hosts. Sorry about that! But, I did also realize that you said although you should feel sorry for them, that you didn't.

Am I making sense? Probably not. Okay, so we are in "agreeance" on both points, not feeling sorry for the fired Sherri and Jenny, nor the auditioning possible co-hosts. You make a good point how it must be so awkward to come on a show and audition for a spot when the two fired co-hosts are still there.

The View is a strange show the way they do these auditions. I can't think of any other show that does it this way. It's not just this time, but so many other times they've had guest co-hosts. This entire season has had revolving guest co-hosts and half of last season too, before we even knew they cut Joy and EH loose. Back when I used to watch the show, I never enjoyed having so many guest co-hosts. As with most aspects of this show, I think there must be a better way to do it.

• Love 2
The View is a strange show the way they do these auditions.

I don't think they're auditioning anyone.  The producers already have their choices, they're keeping them under wraps, they're trying to build up a false sense of hype and buzz by randomly featuring various panelists of different temperaments, ages, ethnicities and political backgrounds, to keep us tuned in and interested until the fall.

• Love 3

I hope them wanting a Conservative Latina does not = Rachel Campos Duffy.  Though I CAN see her getting into arguments with the cohosts (as she's done before when she's guest co-hosted) and that seems to be what they want!

• Love 3

I hope them wanting a Conservative Latina does not = Rachel Campos Duffy.  Though I CAN see her getting into arguments with the cohosts (as she's done before when she's guest co-hosted) and that seems to be what they want!

From your keyboard to gawd's ears.  That, would be a disaster.

• Love 1

I don't think they're auditioning anyone.  The producers already have their choices, they're keeping them under wraps, they're trying to build up a false sense of hype and buzz by randomly featuring various panelists of different temperaments, ages, ethnicities and political backgrounds, to keep us tuned in and interested until the fall.

@sugarbaker design, that's an interesting theory. You're probably right, especially if the new co-host(s) are supposed to begin at the start of the new season in September. Most people would like more than a few weeks notice that they got the job and have to move themselves and possibly their family to New York.

True, but I recall Lisa talking about it after.  She said she auditioned for months as a guest co-host, sometimes when it was obvious to all, and sometimes when it wasn't.  She said they auditioned possible co-hosts right up to the week she was told she had the job on the Friday!  She resigned from her job that day, moved to NY on the weekend and started that Monday.  And was still told to be secretive about it!  I know things are different now, like for example who didn't know it was Michael Strahan, lol. 

Whomever is slated (or not yet slated!) to come in, I know that I don't want a man on the panel.  I don't care who is gay, I don't care about ethnicity, but I do know that I don't want a man on the permanent panel.  (Hey, you got a problem with that, Roger? lol.)  This was always supposed to be a show for women by women.  And with Geddie finally gone, maybe we have half a chance at that..  I like to get women's perspectives on topics.  Intelligent women, that is.   

• Love 6

True, but I recall Lisa talking about it after.  She said she auditioned for months as a guest co-host, sometimes when it was obvious to all, and sometimes when it wasn't.  She said they auditioned possible co-hosts right up to the week she was told she had the job on the Friday!  She resigned from her job that day, moved to NY on the weekend and started that Monday.  And was still told to be secretive about it!  I know things are different now, like for example who didn't know it was Michael Strahan, lol. 

Whomever is slated (or not yet slated!) to come in, I know that I don't want a man on the panel.  I don't care who is gay, I don't care about ethnicity, but I do know that I don't want a man on the permanent panel.  (Hey, you got a problem with that, Roger? lol.)  This was always supposed to be a show for women by women.  And with Geddie finally gone, maybe we have half a chance at that..  I like to get women's perspectives on topics.  Intelligent women, that is.   

I agree. The specific feature that there would be discussion with the views from women in different walks of life is the appeal. 

• Love 3

Looks like S.E. Cupp is indeed auditioning.

When discussing the Kim and Kanye search for a body double for NorthWest, Whoopi made the comment to Cupp "...if you get on the show, life is going to shift for you".

Ugh.

• Love 1

If S.E. Cupps is hired, what will they call her? "S"? "Ms. Cupps?" her actual name? - I don't watch the other thing she's on so I don't know what they refer to her by on a daily basis.

(Although I do agree with her on the North body double thing, it's pointless. Can't the kim and kanye body doubles go without a child).

• Love 1

If S.E. Cupps is hired, what will they call her? "S"? "Ms. Cupps?" her actual name? - I don't watch the other thing she's on so I don't know what they refer to her by on a daily basis.

Whoopi called her "Essie".

I agreed with her about the North thing as well. A body double for a child. And you know you'd have to get one almost every 6 months or so. 

Just ridiculous.

I hope this is one of those made up gossipy stories to sell papers, like the one with Clooney and his future mother-in-law.

• Love 1

(Although I do agree with her on the North body double thing, it's pointless. Can't the kim and kanye body doubles go without a child).

I don't see why not.  The real ones do it all the time.

I can't recall where I read this, but I read where they are looking for fireworks not friendship among the new panel.  That disappoints me for two reasons.  1.  The archaic (Geddie-esque?) notion that intelligent, grown women can't sit at a table together without ripping each other's hair out like rabid cats is insulting.  2.  They feel the ratings would be higher if intelligent, grown women hated each other and engaged in daily screaming matches.  That is why I stopped watching.  It just gave me a headache listening to you-know-who's constant screeching.  I can speak only for myself, but I would much rather enjoy discussions by intelligent women who are calm, knowledgeable, respectful toward each other and yes, friendly with one another.  It's not like they didn't have that before.  They had it with Meredith, Star, Joy and Lisa.  And I'd be willing to bet their ratings were higher back then, than they are now and in recent years.

• Love 8

Nothing against Rosie, but if they hire Cupps I hope they go the route of hiring Rancic and Frankel as well.  If we get one pathetic idiot why go all panel all stupid all the time?  Maybe instead of wishing futilely for a perfect panel we should figure the producers will get at least one horrifically wrong so why not cancel heinous out with obnoxious.  Why not sit back with a late morning cup of coffee or tea and have a WWE version of attention whores fighting to get camera time and the soundbite of the day?  Imagine Cupps trying to smirk around her Sexy Librarian glasses only to have Giuliana Rancic and Bethenny Frankel try to over talk each other as each tries to make her version of "fetch" happen? 

• Love 4

I can't recall where I read this, but I read where they are looking for fireworks not friendship among the new panel.  That disappoints me for two reasons.  1.  The archaic (Geddie-esque?) notion that intelligent, grown women can't sit at a table together without ripping each other's hair out like rabid cats is insulting.  2.  They feel the ratings would be higher if intelligent, grown women hated each other and engaged in daily screaming matches.  That is why I stopped watching.  It just gave me a headache listening to you-know-who's constant screeching.  I can speak only for myself, but I would much rather enjoy discussions by intelligent women who are calm, knowledgeable, respectful toward each other and yes, friendly with one another.  It's not like they didn't have that before.  They had it with Meredith, Star, Joy and Lisa.  And I'd be willing to bet their ratings were higher back then, than they are now and in recent years.

It could have been here. I'd posted an article in the Media thread--and it was Joy who was saying this. Saying the show was too fluffy or whatever.

My stance on this is, just because someone says it, doesn't make it true. This is how rumors and gossip morph beyond control and people get up all in arms about what the show will be about. Joy, in another article had said she had "spies" who told her this.

I say, the new season hasn't even started yet. We don't know WHO they'll get. And I'd like to think that ABC might have grown a brain and maybe try to go back to the show's original roots when it first premiered.

• Love 1

Sure I have a problem with that.... I think all views are valid no mater the gender of the speaker...... but I do respect your opinion on the matter.... I was not going to comment on it until you asked me directly  :)

When I heard S E Cupp tell the panel that she was 5 months pregnant with her first child I figured her seat at the table was cemented..... She will leave the show to have her baby and call in a couple times a week to tell us baby stories and blame Obama for the current issue

Wouldn't surprise me one bit

• Love 9

I remember now.  I read it on Daily Beast, and yes it was Joy who was being quoted.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/07/16/the-view-s-bloody-backstage-politics-how-barbara-walters-and-bill-geddie-lost-control-of-their-show.html

I know that just because someone says it doesn't make it true.  There are lots of rumors out there.  I'm not all up in arms about what the show will be about.  I was finding it fun to discuss the future panel and what they might be like here in the future co-host thread, not trying to contribute to gossip morphing out of control.  Of course we don't know yet who they will get. 

I think all views are valid too, Roger.  And men's views are everywhere!  So it seems, to me anyway.   I would just rather The View was not a mixed panel.  I do know that many people would like a man/men at the View table and I respect that.

• Love 7
(edited)

I don't want Sippy either, didn't care for her on The Cycle or Crossfire.

IMO she is going to be throwing out crap like Obama golfing forgetting all about Bush chopping wood in Crawford. It really irritates me when those distinctions are made since we all know any President can be contacted in a matter of seconds whether flying, chopping, golfing, sleeping or fundraising.

Edited by maggiemae
  • Love 6

Well, Sippy is going to have a tough time with both Whoops and Rosie there to challenge her claims.  I'm not impressed with Sippy--no substance or specifics in her criticism.  Maybe she'll be an easy panel member to refute.

• Love 3

The problem with Sippy Cupp is that she'll just ignore anyone else's arguments and talk over them. She frequently rolled her eyes when Krystal Ball corrected her inane arguments. She was just the asshole of the panel. I can't believe she is under consideration.

• Love 3

I used to watch The Cycle when Sippy was on it. She loves to preen for the camera. I saw her trying to do that on today's show. She likes to put her arm back if the camera is panning near her boobs. She also will make sure her legs are in the shot if possible.

I know she has a brain but she will just start spouting inane talking points that mean nothing. It is easy to tell when she is just saying things she has memorized. She will take large gulps of air as she is talking. It is a real tell.

• Love 1
(edited)

Is there some kind of Meme with photoshopping pictures of Sippy putting her legs up on a TV show desk?  or are these actually REAL?

se_cupp_07_large_zps8ac5672d.jpg

seCupp.jpg

secupp.jpg?width=721

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

I guess her hire would be a no-brainer if Geddie was still in charge, but since he's NOT, maybe we won't be stuck with Sippy Cup.

I don't even know who Sippy Cup is (know it isn't her name, of course), and I'm beginning to dread she might be on. I really, really don't enjoy a panel lined up as political counterpoint. I mean I also don't like an all - liberal nor an all- conservative panel either. I like a group of people who are sorting things out in the middle. Who may be fiscally rather conservative but open to gay marriage for example. In my view the most interesting people are like that. No knee jerks. They sort through issue by issue. I wouldn't care that a panelist has a few extreme ideas as long as I don't have to hear much about it. 

• Love 1

Regarding the "auditions", I've always felt that TPTB scour the comments on sites like this one to see the public's reactions to the various candidates.

Well unless they're looking on a FOX-News type board, I suspect Sippy Cupp's on-line board reactions have probably killed HER chances!

Unless, of course, it's true they're literally going to look for fire... in which case the more we hate on Sippy, the greater her chances of getting the job.

• Love 2

If Sippy Cupp comes on the panel and spouts un-truths, would that mean that the Spew would have to apologize the next week or so?    Also, what does that do to their "research" claims?  And does it even matter to the SPEW?  Even with the change in hosts?  IDK, so far, so bad.

• Love 4
If Sippy Cupp comes on the panel and spouts un-truths, would that mean that the Spew would have to apologize the next week or so?    Also, what does that do to their "research" claims?  And does it even matter to the SPEW?  Even with the change in hosts?  IDK, so far, so bad.

I don't think it matters to the Spew.  I don't recall them apologizing for any of the untruths Hasseltwit spouted, and she spouted on a daily basis.  I recall just one time the twit herself apologized and that was to Erin Andrews.  And even that was only because she was affected negatively, not because she was sorry.

Regarding the "auditions", I've always felt that TPTB scour the comments on sites like this one to see the public's reactions to the various candidates.

Exactly, which tells me we need to stop.mentioning.anyone.we.don't.want.  All they need is ire to sign someone up forthwith.

Unless, of course, it's true they're literally going to look for fire... in which case the more we hate on Sippy, the greater her chances of getting the job.

Totally!

They had a nice opportunity last year to tremendously improve the show and they blew it.  The opportunity has now presented itself once again.  Here's hoping they don't mess things up this time too.

• Love 1

I don't think it matters to the Spew.  I don't recall them apologizing for any of the untruths Hasseltwit spouted, and she spouted on a daily basis.  I recall just one time the twit herself apologized and that was to Erin Andrews.  And even that was only because she was affected negatively, not because she was sorry.

Exactly, which tells me we need to stop.mentioning.anyone.we.don't.want.  All they need is ire to sign someone up forthwith.

Totally!

They had a nice opportunity last year to tremendously improve the show and they blew it.  The opportunity has now presented itself once again.  Here's hoping they don't mess things up this time too.

What was the opportunity last year?  By then I had already stopped watching. 

What was the opportunity last year?  By then I had already stopped watching.

I stopped watching four years before last year, mbutterfly, at the end of the 2009 season.  I don't consider myself to be in the loop for most entertainment news (I don't know any of the people because it's mostly reality crap and I don't watch that), but even I knew that Hasseltwit had finally been kicked to the curb.

• Love 3
(edited)

Well Megan McCain has publicly said she is NOT joining The View

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/entertainment-eonline/20140724/b562803/

Her quote:

"I am not joining," the 29-year-old liberal Republican recently told Refinery29 . "I have the most utmost respect for everyone at The View. The show was amazing for my career for a long time. But, right now, I really love my job at TakePart Live. I genuinely mean this: I really love coming to work every day and working with people in their 20s to make a really rowdy news show."

Subtle dig there about the advanced age of the panelists of The View?  No one anywhere near their 20s there!

Edited by GoldDustWoman
  • Love 3

Well Megan McCain has publicly said she is NOT joining The View

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/entertainment-eonline/20140724/b562803/

Her quote:

"I am not joining," the 29-year-old liberal Republican recently told Refinery29 . "I have the most utmost respect for everyone at The View. The show was amazing for my career for a long time. But, right now, I really love my job at TakePart Live. I genuinely mean this: I really love coming to work every day and working with people in their 20s to make a really rowdy news show."

GOOD!!!!!

• Love 3

Yeah, I thought Meghan McCain was always at best a very loooong shot. She just renegotiated her contract with Pivot only about three months ago. Besides, while she's improved some over the years, she's really not big corporate employee material. She's much better suited for a small, independent, more freewheeling network like Pivot IMO.

• Love 1