Type keyword(s) to search

Future Co-Hosts Talk and Speculation: Musical Chairs

mtlchick
  • Start Topic

...but at least she employs them!

I don't personally know any little people, but I have never heard of employees discriminating against hiring them (Chelsea made it sound as if they find it hard to get a job). Maybe she she means acting jobs because the part would have to specficially require a little person.

Rosie addressed this after it happened.  Old "news" now to me, but it is just one more thing to pull out of Rosie's life to diss her about.

I guess I did sound like I was dissing her. I was a great Rosie fan in earlier days. In between I've been basically neutral. I was disappointed in her role in this conversation. I had been looking forward to her return. I will still begin to watch The View again when she returns. It just seemed unnecessary for her to even speak about her feelings toward little people knowing it could be hurtful. 

Kromm, comparing making the comment about little people to black people isn't the same to me.  I've been around thousands of black people.  In fact, any time I go anywhere, there are black people.  Little people, not so much.  I guess it could be comparable in some places though.

I guess I did sound like I was dissing her. I was a great Rosie fan in earlier days. In between I've been basically neutral. I was disappointed in her role in this conversation. I had been looking forward to her return. I will still begin to watch The View again when she returns. It just seemed unnecessary for her to even speak about her feelings toward little people knowing it could be hurtful. 

Well, I didn't see the whole clip but I suspect the topic of little people came up because Chelsea's sidekick on her show is a little person -- Chuy.  So it's not like Rosie would have just randomly pulled the topic of little people out of some dark orifice.  As for Chelsea, her dynamic with Chuy is that she treats him as crappily as everyone else on her show but, that said, she did make him famous, so….ymmv

(edited)

I hope The Donald never ever appears on The View again for any reason, even if Rosie has the day/week off. No announcement, no discussion, no references, no jokes. If he mouths off about why he isn't a guest anymore, ignore it. Poof The Donald. Just no Donald. That would speak louder than anything they could say.

Edited by suomi
  • Love 12

The New York Post ran a short article this morning that said (or speculated) Ann Curry is on the short list to be co-host, even though her contract with NBC isn't up. I totally forgot about her since NBC "demoted" her. I like her...she'd give the panel some gravitas and news cred. The article went on to say:

"Other candidates include Mario Cantone, Bernadette Peters, Leah Remini, S.E. Cupp and Meghan McCain, who will be a guest Monday."

What a group! No mention of Brooke shields or any Latina.

• Love 2
(edited)

The New York Post ran a short article this morning that said (or speculated) Ann Curry is on the short list to be co-host, even though her contract with NBC isn't up. I totally forgot about her since NBC "demoted" her. I like her...she'd give the panel some gravitas and news cred. The article went on to say:

"Other candidates include Mario Cantone, Bernadette Peters, Leah Remini, S.E. Cupp and Meghan McCain, who will be a guest Monday."

What a group! No mention of Brooke shields or any Latina.

I struggle with the idea of Leah Remini.  Sure she turned on her Scientology masters, but there's still a part of me that feels a bit squicky with the idea of her getting a really big gig with that mean attack dog stuff she did for them (before she turned on them she was one of their major boosters/attack dogs) in her recent past.

Leah being a candidate seems to be based on this: 

Bernadette Peters is nice and all that, but she's got to be what?  Near 70 by now?

And even if they don't go with a Latina, that's still a huge pack o' white girls, isn't it?  How about an Asian if they don't want Latina?  Did Lisa Ling burn all those bridges forever?  Really?

EDIT - apparently one of the guest hosts today (a show I didn't see), Suchin Pak, would fit that nicely if she was permanently hired.

Edited by Kromm

And even if they don't go with a Latina, that's still a huge pack o' white girls, isn't it?  How about an Asian if they don't want Latina?  Did Lisa Ling burn all those bridges forever?  Really?

I like Su-chin Pak that they had on has a guest co host today. Meghan McCain just irritates me for some. I don't want Mario Cantone because he should only be taken in small doses (and I don't want a guy on the show). Leah Remini is an interesting choice. She was on the Talk and I didn't mind her on that.

I don't feel like Ann Curry would be a good fit, just because I feel that the show is more fluff pieces then what it was when it first started.

• Love 1

I struggle with the idea of Leah Remini.  Sure she turned on her Scientology masters, but there's still a part of me that feels a bit squicky with the idea of her getting a really big gig with that mean attack dog stuff she did for them (before she turned on them she was one of their major boosters/attack dogs) in her recent past.

Leah being a candidate seems to be based on this: 

Bernadette Peters is nice and all that, but she's got to be what?  Near 70 by now?

EDIT - apparently one of the guest hosts today (a show I didn't see), Suchin Pak, would fit that nicely if she was permanently hired.

Ann Curry is 1/2 Asian according to Google - she's 1/2 Japanese, rest a mix of Cherokee and European ancestry.

Out of that list Ann Curry is about the only decent person on it. Leah is annoying as hell and apparently a bitch on wheels on-set. Sippy and Meghan are dumb and Bernadette is irrelevant.

• Love 1
(edited)

It was nice without Sherri today but I didn't find those present any improvement.  It was really boring.  I don't have anything against Meghan, but found her annoying today.  Took way too long to make a point, and whenever she spoke she might as well have been shaking her finger because it seemed she was just telling people off instead of giving an intelligent opinion.  She's too serious, not fun at all and just plain boring.  I'd never heard of Suchin before but she left me feeling that she doesn't have anything to add.

Conversations seemed very stop-and-start, broken, disjointed and never really flowed.  And making it even worse was they were all talking over each other and talking all at once, which imo makes it unwatchable. 

Edited by Dreamboat Annie
  • Love 1
(edited)

I felt sorry for Meghan today.  The public and media comment so often on her weight that she dresses to hide it (I guess).  She looked like she was wearing some fortress of steel under her dress...long-line bra?  What was it?  Wynona Judd often has that same strapped-in-steel look.  Does NOT look comfortable.

Also, when she sat next to Jenny, her hairstyle showed that it was way too long, showgirly (out of fashion?), and the wrong shade of blonde.  I wish she could be more relaxed and casual about her appearance.  Just be a pretty chubby girl with no excuses.  Get a great blunt cut and soften that blonde...or let it be natural.

Edited by Former Nun
  • Love 2

I can't stand Meghan McCain's voice and her valley girl way of talking, so I could never take watching her on this show. She's never come across as very bright either.

The way The View likes to make sparks and have little feuds going on, I could see them hiring Leah Remini due her connection to The Talk. Julie Chen was asked a few months ago whether she thought The View made a mistake hiring Jenny and she said yes. People might ask for her opinion if Leah is on the show. Julie (Mrs. Les Moonves) played a big part in getting Leah fired from The Talk after the first season, and I could see The View trying to play up a competition between them and The Talk.

There's a nice article in the Chicago media about Ana Belaval, a local anchor, getting an on-air audition on Tuesday.

I've never seen her on local TV (not an early bird), but she sounds normal and intelligent in the article.

I've never heard of her either, but she sounds interesting:

Ana Belaval, the charismatic and quick-witted “Around Town” reporter for the WGN Morning News, is about to be seen around the country.

(snip)

“I just see this as a one-time opportunity for more people to get to know me and to get to know another Latina who is making it out there, and another Chicagoan. Because you know I feel very much a part of Chicago as I do of my community.”

Whether it turns out to be more than a one-time opportunity depends on how the show’s producers — and viewers — react to the high–spirited Puerto Rican-born Chicago broadcast treasure. “I plan to be myself,” she said of her tryout. “If there’s something I feel strongly about, I plan to speak up. But I’ve been invited. I don’t want to make America mad.”

A seasoned television news personality, former correspondent for Univision’s “Despierta América” morning show, and nine-year veteran of the Tribune Broadcasting station, Belaval, 39, has maintained a dual career as a standup comic, performing on improv stages and in comedy clubs throughout the area.

• Love 2

The way The View likes to make sparks and have little feuds going on, I could see them hiring Leah Remini due her connection to The Talk. Julie Chen was asked a few months ago whether she thought The View made a mistake hiring Jenny and she said yes. People might ask for her opinion if Leah is on the show. Julie (Mrs. Les Moonves) played a big part in getting Leah fired from The Talk after the first season, and I could see The View trying to play up a competition between them and The Talk.

I think the very opposite is true.  The View wouldn't want anyone to think the show that's the COPY of them is anywhere near their level.  That alone should make any ex-Talker hirable on The View.

Yes, considering how bad The View is that's ridiculous. But I think it would be more about positioning rather than reality.

I don't know with this crazy show. I think they would like the headlines that would come along with hiring Leah Remini that they wouldn't get if they hired some local news person most people haven't heard of.

I realize these are only suggestions but some --candidates-- are terrible. It would be quite ironic if Meagan ever got the gig because her parents are on record as feeling the show treated them unfairly.

Lot's of touting of your own group --whatever that may be-- but I'd bet that a Jewish panelist will be rep'd. I still don't know if Babs has anything to do with actual hiring? She may just be Exec.Pro in name only and ABC is calling all the shots?

As far as Trump returning I remember Conan saying that Trump was the only guest he dealt with that you could say anything about and he'd still return. So of course the publicity addict will be back with Rosie at first opportunity he's given.

I felt sorry for Meghan today.  The public and media comment so often on her weight that she dresses to hide it (I guess).  She looked like she was wearing some fortress of steel under her dress...long-line bra?  What was it?  Wynona Judd often has that same strapped-in-steel look.  Does NOT look comfortable.

Also, when she sat next to Jenny, her hairstyle showed that it was way too long, showgirly (out of fashion?), and the wrong shade of blonde.  I wish she could be more relaxed and casual about her appearance.  Just be a pretty chubby girl with no excuses.  Get a great blunt cut and soften that blonde...or let it be natural.

Fox News blonde?

• Love 2
(edited)

Welp, after the show (and co-hosts) pretty much vilified Bethanny Frankel (as well they should have) for her stunt look at me selfie in her four year old's Hello Kitty jammies, I think she's out.

Thank dog. 

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 2

Last night on Extra they were all over the news that Ann Curry is being considered for the panel.   Ann would be a step up intelligence wise, but I can't picture her taking this job.    

And if the rumor that Rosie has a no-reality show panel members, Bethenny is not on any list since she's been on MANY reality shows.

Last night on Extra they were all over the news that Ann Curry is being considered for the panel.   Ann would be a step up intelligence wise, but I can't picture her taking this job.    

And if the rumor that Rosie has a no-reality show panel members, Bethenny is not on any list since she's been on MANY reality shows.

Even Leah has had a reality show.  If Rosie has such a rule, it must have some caveat that reality is "okay" as long as someone got famous for something else first. Bethanny would probably NOT qualify, then, even if I think she did have a business she ran before being on that Martha Stewart version of Dump Truck's show.

(edited)

I liked Suchin yesterday - I had never heard of her, but found her charming and funny.  Again maybe too light weight on the big issues.  

Can we really tell that in one appearance though?  I didn't see the show, so I have to ask--did anything substantive come up for her to comment on?

Although on the face of it, MTV does seem like a pretty pop-culture specific training ground for someone.

One amusing thing from what I just dug up about her--apparently she's married to the guy who founded the "Awkward Family Photos" website.  That's.... one of the odder "celeb" linkings I've ever heard of (it's certainly no Donnie Wahlberg).

One more to add to the reject pile: Entertainment Tonight reported that Ricki Lake was offered a spot but didn't want to move to New York. 

I sense some of the rejections they are getting could be based on people fearing uprooting their lives, specifically because they now think they may be dismissed from the show in like... another year.  Not that TV work ever means job security, but such a recent example of a future boss being this ruthless with firing people isn't exactly going to foster a sense that it's a risk worth taking.

Then again, what else is Ricki Lake doing now anyway?  Zero as far as I can tell.

Edited by Kromm

I think Leah didn't get along with Sharon or Julie, and Leah has said they thought she was too ghetto. I gotta admit, my opinion of Leah has dramatically changed since she stood up to Scientology.

I think Bethanny, like Rosie, is best when bouncing off other people. Maybe being on a reality show drops off your record after a few years, like a DUI, and she still has a shot thanks to her experience in cooking and low calorie binge drinking.

Besides Rosie, there's no one I'm really excited by the show potentially adding. If a guy does, I bet he is just part time.

I would love to see Ann Curry.  I like her low-key demeanor and style.  She's intelligent and inquisitive.  Sadly, her voice (which I consider perfect) probably can't rise above all the other squawkers that will be on the panel.  

• Love 4

I think Leah didn't get along with Sharon or Julie, and Leah has said they thought she was too ghetto. I gotta admit, my opinion of Leah has dramatically changed since she stood up to Scientology.

Isn't it amazing how walking away from the "Church" of Scientology does wonders for a person's likeability quotient? :) Wherever Leah goes from here, I hope she is super successful because nothing would piss off David Miscavige and Kirstie Alley more. I'm not sure The View is the right fit, though, because she completely lacks any semblance of an indoor voice.

• Love 4

As much as I respect Ann Curry and do feel like she deserves another chance being on the mainstream, I don't think The View is the right forum for her at all! She's way too serious.

• Love 1

I'm on the fence, because when she WAS in their "Church", she was one of their main rabid attack dogs.  She savaged a lot of people who criticized Scientology.

As much as I respect Ann Curry and do feel like she deserves another chance being on the mainstream, I don't think The View is the right forum for her at all! She's way too serious.

Arguably it may be what the show needs.  Issues, not stupid pop culture.

• Love 1

My thought is anyone worth having probably wouldn't want the job.  Who knows if the View is going to last beyond one more season and if rating continue to go down then chances are the new co-hosts will be blamed, as was the case with Jenny.

I think it's a mistake to hire someone simply because they are Latina, or a conservative or whatever.  They need to hire people that are quite simply the best people for the job.

• Love 4

I'm on the fence, because when she WAS in their "Church", she was one of their main rabid attack dogs

I changed my mind about her Scientology views when I found out she had been in it since she was a young girl. She was fairly young when her mother took Leah and her sister to the Florida compound. According to her, they were treated like slaves but apparently the brain washing worked. I respect that she has taken a stand now.

• Love 6

I know Leah Remini's name has been put out by a lot of people online and on TV, but I really hope they don't cast her. I don't dislike her as a person, but she's already proven she doesn't work on talkshows with The Talk. I couldn't even bear to see that show the first season because she was so loud, not funny, and annoying. I know many don't like her, but I think Sheryl Underwood really made everything about that show better. Not that it's a perfect show by any means, and Underwood only works because of how lightweight The Talk is, but she's lightyears funnier than Sherri Shepherd for instance.

It wasn't just Leah who got the ax, but also Holly Robinson.  I quit watching.  I did have to get used to Leah, but then I thought she was kinda a hoot - descriptive word I don't often use.  (I never watched King of Queens.)  She does have a reality show right now.  Not sure about her for The View, but I really enjoyed her though on DWTS.

I never watched, laughs, BECAUSE of Holly Robinson, I openly boycotted, because, you know, I have strong feelings about teh vaccines and autism.  Anyways, I have to say, not being very familiar with Leah beyond my bad reaction to her because of Scientology, I was sympathetic to her on DWTS.  Though that doesn't mean that I think she'd be good on the panel here.

I honestly think they should look to Barnard or NYU for a young one.  I honestly believe that the initial impulse for Debbie Matenopoulos was dead on.

• Love 1

It wasn't just Leah who got the ax, but also Holly Robinson.  I quit watching.  I did have to get used to Leah, but then I thought she was kinda a hoot - descriptive word I don't often use.  (I never watched King of Queens.)  She does have a reality show right now.  Not sure about her for The View, but I really enjoyed her though on DWTS.

That's when I stopped watching as well.  When I got used to her, she was not so abrasive and seemed very kind and caring.  Leah and Holly together were hilarious to me.  I waited for the show every day.  There were rumors that her mother was a bitch.  Even though I like her a lot, I don't think she is right for The View.

• Love 2

Can we really tell that in one appearance though?  I didn't see the show, so I have to ask--did anything substantive come up for her to comment on?

Although on the face of it, MTV does seem like a pretty pop-culture specific training ground for someone.

Actually, I don't think MTV News gets enough credit. I'm not talking about their VJ's ( a la Carson) but their actual news department has assembled some of the smartest young people on tv. Suchin was apart of MTV in the early 2000s and covered everything from politics to popular culture. I'm actually surprised the major networks didn't snap up Suchin, Gideon Yago, and some of the others. They are certainly better than some of the journalists I've seen. (I'm looking at you Alex Witte and Don Lemon!)

• Love 1

I remember Gideon Yago. Thought he was cute back then and he's still just as nice looking now. I agree about being surprised more of the MTV News people didn't breakout more outside of MTV. Now I want to Google Tabitha Soren. LOL

• Love 2

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/14/new-view-co-host-rumors_n_5584147.html

'View' Host Speculation Is Getting Really Out Of Hand

I suspect this is exactly why even if they have chosen someone, they aren't saying yet.  It keeps this craptastic show in the entertainment headlines. 

One amusing thing from what I just dug up about her--apparently she's married to the guy who founded the "Awkward Family Photos" website.  That's.... one of the odder "celeb" linkings I've ever heard of (it's certainly no Donnie Wahlberg).

They did mention that random fact on the show - it's one of my favorite websites ever so I was impressed.  Brilliant.  But as far as how SuChin would be on The Spew, you're right @Kromm, hard to tell from one show and like I already mentioned it's easy to look intelligent sitting between McCarthy and McCain.  I've seen SuChin on a few MTV things - i think she give a good first impression. 

Serena Altschul has done well, she's on CBS.  Chris Connelly was a journalist for a number of publications and he's on one of the networks.  Kurt Loder kinda faded out it seemed, and he was like the head of the whole MTV news org...

They are certainly better than some of the journalists I've seen. (I'm looking at you Alex Witte and Don Lemon!)

I think of her as Alex Twit and was shocked to learn she has a son at Harvard, and I simply cannot abide Don Lemon, so.... terrorist fist bump! :P

• Love 1

Hope the people who are doing the casting care as much about it as we do - lol.

I think it's safe to say... they don't.

Or rather that they DO care, but about different qualities than most of us do.

• Love 2

It would be cool to see Lisa Ling as a co-host again. She's serious, incredibly knowledgable, interesting and fun too. I really like her.

Hey, a gal can dream.

A big NO about Meghan McCain for me. Asothers have mentioned, her voice and the way she talks grates on my nerves. (((shudder)))

• Love 1

It would be cool to see Lisa Ling as a co-host again. She's serious, incredibly knowledgable, interesting and fun too. I really like her.

Hey, a gal can dream.

I'm with you. I'd love to see Lisa on this show again, but she's too intelligent and she's become a journalist. I'm glad it's worked out for her post-View.

• Love 4