Type keyword(s) to search

Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath Ending With 2-Hr Special Featuring Danny Masterson Accusers

• Start Topic

I would have continued to watch if there was another season but I’m wondering what else they would cover beyond what’s been shown already - the lawsuits, etc are reported in the news so we have that to keep us updated.   I hope that A&E keeps the episodes available for a while for those who have missed this the first time around.   I am curious too about what Mike said regarding the TV constraints.  Maybe we’ll find out sometime?

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Cobb Salad said:

I would have continued to watch if there was another season but I’m wondering what else they would cover beyond what’s been shown already - the lawsuits, etc are reported in the news so we have that to keep us updated.   I hope that A&E keeps the episodes available for a while for those who have missed this the first time around.   I am curious too about what Mike said regarding the TV constraints.  Maybe we’ll find out sometime?

Maybe because of all the lawsuits. They probably cannot discuss them in public, they might even be witnesses since they were insiders. I liked the show but if this is the reason, or it is something related to this, it is the best thing because the lawyers could claim that the process is tainted by the publicity, things can be dismissed on technicalities. I am 100% speculating on the reasons for the series to end, and I hope they are happy with the repercussions that may finally lead to an end to this cult, or at least to the weakening to the powers of the lead cultists.

• Love 9

I'm sorry to see the show end, and when I first heard it I wondered if Mike and Leah were just worn out from doing this (they have commented about the toll it takes on them).  But it sounds like the limits of what they can put on TV and possibly the lawsuits.  I note Mike said it's their last show on A&E, as opposed to their last show.  This is just a guess on my part, but from Mike's blog, it looks like they are going on the attack.

• Love 15

Mike keeps referring throughout his blog post to the 'constraints' of working for 'sponsored' television, and I think that's all that's ending. They are obviously not done trying to bring down the cult of $cientology. Whatever they do next will be free of those 'constraints' and should be very interesting! Looking forward to it. Go Leah and Mike!!

• Love 23

I'm sorry the show is ending but happy with how they are ending it. Masterson's victims deserve to be heard and giving them such a public hearing is the best of what this show has done. I can't wait to see what Leah and Mike do next freed from the constraints of commercial television. 

• Love 10
(edited)
28 minutes ago, msrachelj said:

Direct Tv does not even have the 2 hour special on their line up, it has some show called Intervention. 

On A&E's website the schedule for Monday Aug. 26th only has listings until 6pm while all the other days before and after have full listings for each of them. One of the guides I use online TitanTV has Intervention showing in those two slots. Then TVGuide's listing has something called A&E Real Life listed for those primetime hours and for the rest of that night. There's still a little over a week before the 26th so I guess we'll have to see if the two hour special will actually make it to air.

Edited by Jaded
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Jaded said:

On A&E's website the schedule for Monday Aug. 26th only has listings until 6pm while all the other days before and after have full listings for each of them. One of the guides I use online TitanTV has Intervention showing in those two slots. Then TVGuide's listing has something called A&E Real Life listed for those primetime hours and for the rest of that night. There's still a little over a week before the 26th so I guess we'll have to see if the two hour special will actually make it to air.

Comcast is listing it on the 26th at 9:00 p.m. as Season 3, episode 12.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Comcast is listing it on the 26th at 9:00 p.m. as Season 3, episode 12.

Thanks for adding that. I have U-Verse and AT&T got rid of their online listings a couple years ago. It's a PITA to search the ones on screen regularly for things that are further ahead. I searched and it's not listed if I remember I'll check the different listing sites Monday to see if they get updated. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Jaded said:

Thanks for adding that. I have U-Verse and AT&T got rid of their online listings a couple years ago. It's a PITA to search the ones on screen regularly for things that are further ahead. I searched and it's not listed if I remember I'll check the different listing sites Monday to see if they get updated. 

Comcast only added this yesterday so it will probably appear soon.  I agree, it's a PITA because I wasn't sure my DVR would pick it up if it was listed as a special and not an episode.  Fortunately they did list it as an episode so I could have relaxed.

• Love 1

I'm sad that the show is ending, but really the third season kind of showed it was winding down. I felt they had covered so much of the "meat" of the issues with Co$ that it was becoming not as impactful - like the first season they covered major themes with big hitters from the church speaking out.  By the third, it seemed like a lot of retreading.  Which does serve a purpose, but is harder to sustain.

3 hours ago, funky-rat said:

I'm not sure if it's on Pluto or not, but Pluto is free on many streaming devices (I have it on Roku).

It is not but it appears that Pluto is adding new channels every so often.  I’m sure they won’t add A&E by next week, lol.  

@deaja I agree - while I watched each episode with interest, how much more new material would they come up with.  We know enough about $cientology now that anything new would probably have to cover what they’re doing to bring them down which is better to do without the TV cameras nearby.  

• Love 1

US Weekly asking a good question and they mention Masterson and rape right on the cover. (How not surprising that they are stalking potential victims?!) First Nxivm going down and now mainstream media is talking about the demise of CO$? Even if it’s print click bait, so to speak, I think it’s progress. And I credit Leah and Mike for a lot of it!

• Love 8
On 8/18/2019 at 1:08 AM, Yeah No said:

Comcast only added this yesterday so it will probably appear soon.  I agree, it's a PITA because I wasn't sure my DVR would pick it up if it was listed as a special and not an episode.  Fortunately they did list it as an episode so I could have relaxed.

AT&T's U-Verse still hasn't updated their guide on the TV which is still showing two episodes of Intervention. If it doesn't change I'll have to DVR it in two parts. I can deal with that since it allows commercials to be FF'd through. Doesn't mean I'm not annoyed though. I have my DVR set to pick up episodes of this show too.

On 8/18/2019 at 1:08 AM, Yeah No said:

I have Comcast and last night was idly reviewing my scheduled recordings for today when I noticed it. Thank Dog I set up Aftermath as a series recording or I might have missed it.

Will miss the series and coming here to lurk or discuss the special brand of crazy that is Co$. Glad to hear Leah and Mike are not done fighting the good fight.

• Love 2

I really enjoyed this show and I'm going to miss it.

To all the brave survivors who came forward with their stories, God's speed and I wish you much happiness and peace.  You deserve it.

Edited by toodles
One more thought
  • Love 22
1 hour ago, toodles said:

I really enjoyed this show and I'm going to miss it.

To all the brave survivors who came forward with their stories, God's speed and I wish you much happiness and peace.  You deserve it.

I thought that young man spoke very eloquently about his experience. And yes, they do believe children are adults in small bodies so why not have some child audit an adult? 

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I thought that young man spoke very eloquently about his experience. And yes, they do believe children are adults in small bodies so why not have some child audit an adult? 

I really don't understand how C0$ can claim that children don't audit adults when there are numerous examples of young teens having been named "best auditor". Aaron Smith-Levin mentioned that part of what drove a wedge between him and his brother was his recognition as the best auditor in all of Scientology as a teen while his brother struggled to even be a member in good standing. If I'm not mistaken, Miss Cabbage also was recognized as best auditor when he was in his late teens as well. Are we supposed to pretend those things just never happened?

• Useful 4
  • Love 7
6 minutes ago, Rlb8031 said:

I really don't understand how C0$ can claim that children don't audit adults when there are numerous examples of young teens having been named "best auditor". Aaron Smith-Levin mentioned that part of what drove a wedge between him and his brother was his recognition as the best auditor in all of Scientology as a teen while his brother struggled to even be a member in good standing. If I'm not mistaken, Miss Cabbage also was recognized as best auditor when he was in his late teens as well. Are we supposed to pretend those things just never happened?

Because they lie! 

• Love 2
On 8/16/2019 at 6:39 AM, DXD526 said:

Mike keeps referring throughout his blog post to the 'constraints' of working for 'sponsored' television, and I think that's all that's ending. They are obviously not done trying to bring down the cult of $cientology.

HBO had no problems running "Going Clear" a few years back.  Plus they are very big on docuseries.  Perhaps HBO will look into picking this up.

• Love 11
41 minutes ago, Rlb8031 said:

Why yes.  Yes we are.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

Wow! It’s odd I missed first viewing on Aug 12...and my DVR just recorded it last night (8/27)...

apologies..since I am late to party...and I haven’t had opportunity to read comments... what I am saying here may have been mentioned there for redundant. 🥴🤷‍♀️ 

i was surprised also that this was final EP..

and I too suspected that it may be due to Leah calling it quits because of pressure from COS...

(especially when COS...(regardless of the TRUE reason for final episode) says in a statement... and I’m paraphrasing ..

.”TNT FINALLY realizes that the show of hate and intolerance... ‘Leah Rimini: Scientology and the Aftermath’ should be pulled...blah blah blah...”

however... I also read that Leah Remini had thought that it would only take less than the first episodes of first season to get the attention of authorities. However it didn’t. How disappointing. So they were told to collect more stories… And more stories… And then provide episodes focusing on the fiscal and ethical angles to COS..All of this excellent information revealed… To no avail.

Actually there has been some progress… But probably only behind the scenes. Just like the one guest speaker mentioned…” One of the COS’ best friends is the law of Statutes of Limitation laws...so...thanks in large part to this show.… Several states are changing the statute of limitation laws. (When it comes to clergy accusations? Or general statutes I’m not clear.)

From what I understand all COS members can be referred to as “clergy”… Therefore statutes of limitations against any member would fall under this new limitations reform...i sounds as though instead of perhaps 7 yrs from time of incident...a victim will now have 1 yr.  this one year is from the new statue of long limitations change goes into affect.

also it was revealed by experts...that at this stage Civil suits are the avenue to crack open old cases...any of enough are ruled against COS...law enforcement can come in and “pry open those cracks... subpoenaing any records involving any victims...and moving forward”

On that note...the Civil suit file days before episode by Danny Masterson 4 victims..may have been the reason Aftermath was able to FINALLY show interviews of victims after “sitting” on those tapes for two years. What a dramatic way to end a show...when you think about it.

That in and of itself will capture some media coverage… I would think.

After all...a very controversial and successful series..after a lengthy period of time...finally showing their last and final episode?… pretty intriguing in and of itself.

Therefore it’s time to take another look at the approach.

In my opinion I believe they will start covering civil cases as they come up… And I believe they are in a position to know that these cases are indeed coming up. 

I loved it when I read in an interview Leah Remini said… After being asked what’s next… She said “I’m not dumb enough to let the church of Scientology know what’s coming up… But know this is not the end”

Go Leah and all y’all...! All I can do is show up in my Guy Fawkes mask to events...and donate...but I’m here...from SoCal...and my cousin got sucked in for awhile...blessed here compared to the horrible stories I’ve heard.

Godspeed!! 

Edited by Shellbell59
Predictive text misspelled Fawkes
  • Love 8
On 8/26/2019 at 10:38 PM, deirdra said:

Too much lip and face filler.

Someone on Twitter called her out on the lip filler. Leah responded saying she has never done lip filler, but does tons of Botox.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

I adore Leah from way back in her Living Dolls days.  I have grown to love Mike Rinder.  Between those two, and the others from Co$ who are coming forward, I cannot wait for the toppling of Miss Cabbage, Cruise, and the entire "church."  I hope the entire organization is brought to its knees, that Shelley is found alive, and that lil' Davie makes a nice home for himself in a tiny jail cell not unlike places where he banished those who dared look him in the eye or other such travesties.  I hope this happens soon.

There are so many broken people inside and outside that organization.  The fact that these people are starting to come forward en masse while the police and FBI are still powerless to do anything is staggering.  I understand the why.  It's still completely heartbreaking.

Go, Leah.  And Mike.  There's a long way to go but keep fighting the good fight!

• Love 14
On 8/27/2019 at 11:28 AM, Shellbell59 said:

Wow! It’s odd I missed first viewing on Aug 12...and my DVR just recorded it last night (8/27)...

apologies..since I am late to party...and I haven’t had opportunity to read comments... what I am saying here may have been mentioned there for redundant. 🥴🤷‍♀️ 

i was surprised also that this was final EP..

and I too suspected that it may be due to Leah calling it quits because of pressure from COS...

(especially when COS...(regardless of the TRUE reason for final episode) says in a statement... and I’m paraphrasing ..

.”TNT FINALLY realizes that the show of hate and intolerance... ‘Leah Rimini: Scientology and the Aftermath’ should be pulled...blah blah blah...”

however... I also read that Leah Remini had thought that it would only take less than the first episodes of first season to get the attention of authorities. However it didn’t. How disappointing. So they were told to collect more stories… And more stories… And then provide episodes focusing on the fiscal and ethical angles to COS..All of this excellent information revealed… To no avail.

Actually there has been some progress… But probably only behind the scenes. Just like the one guest speaker mentioned…” One of the COS’ best friends is the law of Statutes of Limitation laws...so...thanks in large part to this show.… Several states are changing the statute of limitation laws. (When it comes to clergy accusations? Or general statutes I’m not clear.)

From what I understand all COS members can be referred to as “clergy”… Therefore statutes of limitations against any member would fall under this new limitations reform...i sounds as though instead of perhaps 7 yrs from time of incident...a victim will now have 1 yr.  this one year is from the new statue of long limitations change goes into affect.

also it was revealed by experts...that at this stage Civil suits are the avenue to crack open old cases...any of enough are ruled against COS...law enforcement can come in and “pry open those cracks... subpoenaing any records involving any victims...and moving forward”

On that note...the Civil suit file days before episode by Danny Masterson 4 victims..may have been the reason Aftermath was able to FINALLY show interviews of victims after “sitting” on those tapes for two years. What a dramatic way to end a show...when you think about it.

That in and of itself will capture some media coverage… I would think.

After all...a very controversial and successful series..after a lengthy period of time...finally showing their last and final episode?… pretty intriguing in and of itself.

Therefore it’s time to take another look at the approach.

In my opinion I believe they will start covering civil cases as they come up… And I believe they are in a position to know that these cases are indeed coming up. 

I loved it when I read in an interview Leah Remini said… After being asked what’s next… She said “I’m not dumb enough to let the church of Scientology know what’s coming up… But know this is not the end”

Go Leah and all y’all...! All I can do is show up in my Guy Fawkes mask to events...and donate...but I’m here...from SoCal...and my cousin got sucked in for awhile...blessed here compared to the horrible stories I’ve heard.

Godspeed!! 

This is why I find the series so depressing at times.  You have a "Church" that is nothing more than a self-help belief system and not a religious institution, and their disgusting use of the "cross" in their logo - when they have NOTHING to do with a Christ-based belief system.  That and the fact that no one seems to want to go after these monsters for the systematic abuses their "parishoners" suffer.  No investigation by local, state or federal judicial departments; IRS caves on tax exemption and then takes a "Funny Fellows at the Prom" photo with the jerks of CO$ when the deal is cemented.  

When DirecTV allowed them to purchase and maintain a cable channel, I damn near cancelled my subscription.  I only still have it because of NFL Sunday Ticket and my local cable provider is awful.  

CO$ should have been barred from EVER receiving tax exemption after the criminal activity of "Operation Snow White".  

• Love 6
On 8/27/2019 at 12:00 AM, peaceknit said:

She's had her eyes done too, and looks very different to me.

She is trying to look like a clone (clown?) of her BFF J-Lo (who I can't stand, btw)

Edited by msrachelj
add
  • Love 1

Wow, not many comments on the finale. I expected to hear more about Danny Masterson and his girlfriend.  This was his live in girlfriend, why did he feel the need to drug and rape her? That's a sick person there.

Also no photos on the show of the other celebrity Scientologist, Kirstie Alley? 

7 minutes ago, msrachelj said:

Wow, not many comments on the finale. I expected to hear more about Danny Masterson and his girlfriend.  This was his live in girlfriend, why did he feel the need to drug and rape her? That's a sick person there.

Also no photos on the show of the other celebrity Scientologist, Kirstie Alley? 

Power? Control? Arrogance? He wanted to do something she didn't want to do so he did it anyway? Some guys just get off on rape too. 

6 hours ago, Madtown said:

Someone on Twitter called her out on the lip filler. Leah responded saying she has never done lip filler, but does tons of Botox.

That is such a Leah answer! 

• Love 2

Regardless of fillers, surgery or crappy best friends I freaking love Leah for the balls she has and being willing to face down the ugly monster of depravity that is CO$. She had to know they could come after her career and her family and she has stood up and said bring it. I respect that. And I appreciate Mike’s unceasing fight as well. He doesn’t have as large a public presence or probably as much money for protection at home and, having done the bs fair-gaming garbage himself, knew what he might be in for, but still he continued. That takes a strong will and I appreciate it. 

As far as this show goes, I was hoping for a bit more, but I think I’m slightly greedy. I want all the trash exposed and little Davey to be cowering in fear in a corner while his buddy little Tommy frets about his career going down in flames. I don’t know that I’ve ever watched Masterson in anything but he sounds vile. Who laughs about raping your girlfriend? The new stories about child abuse were horrific. Apologize to your molester? What the actual hell! These people are sick.

Seeing the faces from previous episodes and hearing the new stories had me in tears. I don’t think I ever made it through an episode of this show without crying. 

• Love 15

I'm really sorry the show is ending. I'll really miss it. This episode was another hard one. Letting kids audit adults about sex. Forcing them to listen to molesters and pedophiles. Victims to apologize to their victims and blaming the victims. Its all stuff we've heard before and it reminded me of well pretty much every other cult that does the same thing. Its always the victims fault, what did you do to lure and make it happen. Its never of course the person who did it. I did like listening to the experts talk about why its important for each everyone to go to the police/FBI. Each one is a case and eventually if there's enough of them they will go. That's really the only way to get them to eventually do something and for the lawmakers to eventually do something. It would be nice if the process was faster. Also, the FBI really needs to change or get some training in how to do deal with cults. Your not dealing with the typical victim. Although you'd think they would already have some since its they have dealt with them in the past. But the expert is right you have to force change with laws. It'll be interesting to see what happens with the new NY law. 

I did "love" all of Scientology letters. They never stop being completely ridiculous.

The stories never stop being hard to hear. Hearing out they treated the man found dead on their ship, the mental patient never getting the help he needed.

I can't wait to see what happens next. I really hope we do get to see Scientology held accountable. 

• Love 7
On 8/27/2019 at 2:28 PM, Shellbell59 said:

The big push in the states changing the time frame a victim has to report abuse, is the fact that many of them cannot come forward until they are adults.  It has to do with a better understanding on how abuse affects victims, and what our definition of "normal" truly is.  When you grow up in isolation you are denied the context to see how different families handle situations.  Or you have to wait because your parents or legal guardians do not believe that you were abused.   The statutes of limitation in many states heavily favored abusers and allowed them to continue to abuse other children.  The changes in these laws may have started as a way to go after clergy, but with more and more information coming to light we see that there are abusers in many organizations who deal with children.  

• Love 6
17 hours ago, ramble said:

Regardless of fillers, surgery or crappy best friends I freaking love Leah for the balls she has and being willing to face down the ugly monster of depravity that is CO$. She had to know they could come after her career and her family and she has stood up and said bring it. I respect that. And I appreciate Mike’s unceasing fight as well. He doesn’t have as large a public presence or probably as much money for protection at home and, having done the bs fair-gaming garbage himself, knew what he might be in for, but still he continued. That takes a strong will and I appreciate it. 

As far as this show goes, I was hoping for a bit more, but I think I’m slightly greedy. I want all the trash exposed and little Davey to be cowering in fear in a corner while his buddy little Tommy frets about his career going down in flames. I don’t know that I’ve ever watched Masterson in anything but he sounds vile. Who laughs about raping your girlfriend? The new stories about child abuse were horrific. Apologize to your molester? What the actual hell! These people are sick.

Seeing the faces from previous episodes and hearing the new stories had me in tears. I don’t think I ever made it through an episode of this show without crying. 

I always loved her because she is a no nonsense type of woman with "balls". I remember years ago being so disappointed that she was a Scientologist. I thought she was too smart for that crap. 

• Love 9
33 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I always loved her because she is a no nonsense type of woman with "balls". I remember years ago being so disappointed that she was a Scientologist. I thought she was too smart for that crap. 

And as it turns out, you were right. :) 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
On 8/28/2019 at 3:39 PM, Carolina Girl said:

This is why I find the series so depressing at times.  You have a "Church" that is nothing more than a self-help belief system and not a religious institution, and their disgusting use of the "cross" in their logo - when they have NOTHING to do with a Christ-based belief system. 

To be fair, there are far too many Christian institutions who have nothing to do with what they claim are their values. It is all "Jesus loves all, love the strangers, open your doors, share your food, be humble" then they turn around and are all full of shit, arrogant, demonizing immigrants - especially in these times - discriminating against whoever is not "like them".

I have a theory that the cross is a marketing strategy. A recognizable image that, for many, tends to soften anything else that might come from them. It is like a subliminal message.

• Love 7