Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Little Lies

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

This is why Tom's description of their relationship doesn't ring true to me.  There's no way that he would have been chatting with her for years and have a vision of her OTHER than what she is.  I don't think she's smart enough to pull that off, nor do I think she would want to.  I suspect she loves portraying a naughty vixen. 

I think he knows *exactly* what she is.  Hence the airb&b and the refusal to pick her up at the airport.  Self-preservation.

Always have an escape plan.

• LOL 11
  • Love 11
5 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I thought he was from Nottingham but lives in London now? He works "in Fashion" after all. Can't imagine that the Fashion scene in Nottingham is very brisk.

I thought he said he was a sales rep for a sporting goods company--maybe he said "sportswear" and I misheard, or it could be those damn hallucinations.  I also understood that he was *from* Nottingham and lives in London.

5 hours ago, JennyMominFL said:

I need to check again but it didnt even look like a proper Black Cab

We were in London about five years ago, and the cab we used (just hailed it on the street; no one ordered it for us) looked very much like the cab Starcey was in.  For what that's worth.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Shieldmaiden said:

I totally agree, but also wonder if Avery sees her new wardrobe not so much as a way to respect the country she’s visiting  but more as an exciting new costume to go with her newest fad/obsession...?

Did anyone else notice last week when she was doing gymnastics with her friends and she did that tumble?  Her hat fell off and she was wearing a full on performance scrunchie.  Sparkles and taffeta.  Not something required to hold back your hair when it's fully covered, but in her brain, it's probably part of the gymnastics outfit so she needed it.  Like her muslim outfit.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Mothra said:

I thought he said he was a sales rep for a sporting goods company--maybe he said "sportswear" and I misheard, or it could be those damn hallucinations.  I also understood that he was *from* Nottingham and lives in London.

We were in London about five years ago, and the cab we used (just hailed it on the street; no one ordered it for us) looked very much like the cab Starcey was in.  For what that's worth.

So he works for the European version of Footlocker? 😂

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Mothra said:

It's sportswear.  And come on, you have to give the man credit for taking the time and energy to train that badger to sit on top of his head.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 20
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, RealReality said:

I wish mom would back off too.  She has her points and they make sense, but Omar seems like as good a guy as one could hope for given the situation.  

It's almost like she wishes that Avery had stayed wild and ended up pregnant by some local yokel with nothing going on.  She says that Avery was ambitious, but when and how?  And would marriage to Omar stop that anymore than marriage to an American?  I've seen muslim women work in America, so she can still be ambitious.

Avery's main issue seems to be her family and a family that doesn't seem to understand what she needs. Her mother described Avery as ambitious. Avery used to be a gymnast. I'm sure she was competitive, disciplined, and ambitious because that's what the sport required of her. Unfortunately, she had a career ending injury when she broke both of her legs on the same day.

Her family doesn't seem like they put too much emphasis on education either. It also seems like they didn't recognize that someone who had been tumbling since before she could read was probably used to an external source driving her self-discipline. So it's not entirely surprising to see that she was in search of new systems that would keep her disciplined like vegetarianism or Islam. Had her lousy family managed to treat her conversion as a legitimate life decision, Avery might not have decided to run off to Syria at 19 to be with Omar. She was crying out for structure. So far, Islam has given it to her. She might have gone to college and gotten a degree if they had supported her. She might have remained a Muslim, but dated an American Muslim guy. She likely would have stayed in the states. 

These folks are so wedded to what was and their ignorance about Islam that they can't help her out going forward. So far, she seems to have picked the least objectionable person this round.

Spoiler

I've heard elsewhere that she might be getting into modest fashion blogging and e-commerce.

So it's not like she's that unambitious or has such poor judgment. Her family just doesn't like the valid choices she's made, which is why she's now making petulant choices.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, BluBrd47 said:

So he works for the European version of Footlocker? 😂

When Darcey said he "worked in fashion", I thought "Oh, so he sells ties at Liberty"

7 hours ago, Kangatush said:

Did anyone else notice last week when she was doing gymnastics with her friends and she did that tumble?  Her hat fell off and she was wearing a full on performance scrunchie.  Sparkles and taffeta.  Not something required to hold back your hair when it's fully covered, but in her brain, it's probably part of the gymnastics outfit so she needed it.  Like her muslim outfit.

But there's no reason why she can't have a sparkly hair tie if she wants one. Muslim women  are often decked out under their abbayahs. And if she did competitive gymnastics for years she must have a drawer full of the things. 

4 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Had her lousy family managed to treat her conversion as a legitimate life decision, Avery might not have decided to run off to Syria at 19 to be with Omar. She was crying out for structure. So far, Islam has given it to her. She might have gone to college and gotten a degree if they had supported her. She might have remained a Muslim, but dated an American Muslim guy. She likely would have stayed in the states. 

I agree. I don't see any malice or fakery in Avery. I too think she's looking for order and structure;  I see her as giddy, over the top, and romantic. But I don't think she's a bad person. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 12

Posting before reading:

By the way Avery treats her mom , I can see why her life has taken such a turn. She will have a rude awakening, the kind you don't get back at home by your baby brother. I wonder what Islam's stance is on respecting your parents and elders. She is a disrespectful child. And the way she pushed past a man on the plane with her head held up high... hmm. Not going to fly anymore. 

I FF through Darcey and Angela's scenes bc at this point it's just bad acting for TV. I'm only interested in the new cases.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Kangatush said:

It's sportswear.  And come on, you have to give the man credit for taking the time and energy to train that badger to sit on top of his head.

What if Tom is actually different than what he is presenting. Maybe he is wearing the toup and dressing the way he is to see if she likes him not an image.  Maybe he is a Jesse set up!

Sorry for lack of question marks. That key has died on my pc.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 8/18/2019 at 11:37 PM, DawnDavenport said:

I'm beginning to think she is mentally insane putting random dick ahead of her children.

Darcey has PLENTY of company in that department given the current state of the world. I can't even tell you how many of these I've seen...some relatives. 

Edited by Kdawg82
1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

What if Tom is actually different than what he is presenting. Maybe he is wearing the toup and dressing the way he is to see if she likes him not an image.  Maybe he is a Jesse set up!

Sorry for lack of question marks. That key has died on my pc.

That ship has sailed! He even admitted he used decades old photos, IMO he doesn't bear more than a passing resemblance to them, and Darcy was clearly disappointed. 

Looking forward to all the hair-larity in their segments.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
On 8/19/2019 at 12:35 PM, politichick said:

I cannot believe she's unaware of the travel ban and the possibility that if she really does go to live in war-torn Syria, the U.S may ban her sorry ass, too.

US Citizens cannot be denied reentry into the country. Provided she has a way to demonstrate at any port of entry that she is indeed a US citizen, she must be admitted. Further, the US government cannot strip her of citizenship. It is a violation of international law to leave a person "stateless". Avery is a natural-born citizen of the United States and cannot be denaturalized. Birthright citizenship cannot be revoked. She would be unable to renounce her citizenship without having gained another, so that is currently moot.

To that end, even if she goes to live in Syria, unless she herself willingly obtains another citizenship and legally renounces her US citizenship formally, she is always able to be repatriated to the US.

• Useful 3
  • Love 7
11 hours ago, Kangatush said:

You're right.  Badger equipage was an Olympic event until 1940, when the wartime shortage of badgers forced the withdrawal of the Ethiopian team (don't get sassy with Haille Selassie).

• LOL 6
  • Love 3

Do not discuss next week's episode in this topic.  This topic is for episode "Little Lies."  

The correct thread for discussing "Love is a Battlefield" is located here:

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, Kroliosis said:

When did she talk about that?

She talked about gymnastics earlier in episode 2 or 3. She talked more generally about being injured and getting out of gymnastics. She discussed the specifics of the injuries in interviews with the press.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
On 8/20/2019 at 6:36 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

This is why Tom's description of their relationship doesn't ring true to me.  There's no way that he would have been chatting with her for years and have a vision of her OTHER than what she is.  I don't think she's smart enough to pull that off, nor do I think she would want to.  I suspect she loves portraying a naughty vixen. 

Especially because you know that fool has watched the Jessie/Darcy saga of previous seasons.

No sympathy for him.  He definitely had to have known the type of hot mess he was going to be cuddling up to.

That being said, I can't wait to watch it all unfold and for Darcy, dressed atrociously and practically foaming at the mouth, shrieks "YOU NEVER LOVED ME, GET OUT OF MY LIFE!!!"  

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
27 minutes ago, Lady Iris said:

Is anybody else more that a little galled that Jesse might've been right about Darcy's drinking and needing to work on herself? *raises my hand slowly*

Nah, I knew he was onto something just based on her staying out at a bar drinking alone after having wine with his mother (and even when he texted her to ask where she was, I believe her reply was "at a bar drinking, be there in a while" or something like that.  And she was clearly inebriated when she showed up at his apartment a bit later....

Then to find out she had run outside (in Amsterdam, a foreign country to her), was skulking in the bushes, and he had to try to find her?  Oh, hell, yeah I knew he was onto something with the drinking.

And the capper, apparently she was also drunk when she and her sister got into what was apparently a physical altercation and she was arrested (or maybe both of them, but for sure Darcy was).  

Nothing wrong with having a few drinks, but her behavior devolves to such a degree that she really should learn some moderation.  She's a middle-aged woman and exhibits little to no self control.  Hell, even her makeup and cosmetic procedures are to excess.  

Edited by Persnickety1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 12
19 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Seriously? You seem to be familiar with it because you posted:

So my use of 90 Day is a way to refer to the 90 Day Fiance shows.

I realized this well after I posted.  I am SUCH an idiot!!!

• LOL 6
10 minutes ago, Persnickety1 said:

Especially because you know that fool has watched the Jessie/Darcy saga of previous seasons.

No sympathy for him.  He definitely had to have known the type of hot mess he was going to be cuddling up to.

That being said, I can't wait to watch it all unfold and for Darcy, dressed atrociously and practically foaming at the mouth, shrieks "YOU NEVER LOVED ME, GET OUT OF MY LIFE!!!"  

You and me both! Also, I want to know if the toupee stays on when they finally bang on the piano.

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, Persnickety1 said:

Nah, I knew he was onto something just based on her staying out at a bar drinking alone after having wine with his mother (and even when he texted her to ask where she was, I believe her reply was "at a bar drinking, be there in a while" or something like that.  And she was clearly inebriated when she showed up at his apartment a bit later....

Agreed, its just that Jesse was so douchey and arrogant and didn't know how to cut steak and wouldn't listen to reason about it either.

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, Drogo said:

Do not discuss next week's episode in this topic.  This topic is for episode "Little Lies."  

The correct thread for discussing "Love is a Battlefield" is located here:

I may be missing something but how do the episode numbers skip from 4 to 7?

3 hours ago, Spike said:

I may be missing something but how do the episode numbers skip from 4 to 7?

They're giving episode numbers to those terrible "More to Love" airings. 

• Useful 1

The way TLC numbers episodes is jumbly and confusing.  I believe in my on demand episode 7 here is called like episode 4 part 1.  

They are getting cocky because they know I love me some trainwrecks and I'll put up with this silliness.

I'm as desperate for trainwrecks as Darcy is for a marriage.......to anyone....anytime ....anyplace.     

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 8/19/2019 at 1:21 PM, lizajane said:

Loved it that Tom had Darcy meet him in a restaurant, and noticed that he told her she smelled nice……I am surprised there wasn’t a noxious cloud surrounding her when she walked

How the taxi didn’t need to be fumigated escapes me.

Also, I just travelled to Australia for business.  I spent 10 minutes getting presentable after 15 hours on a plane.

Edited by b2H
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 8/20/2019 at 9:01 PM, Mothra said:

Black cabs are the only cabs that can be hailed on the street.

Don't Darcey and Stacey have a clothing line called House of 11?  Isn't that where their money comes from?

I'm going to go with the unpopular opinion that Tom is adorable.  He does not seem to take himself too seriously, his self deprecating manner appeals to me.  If Darcey would just go with it, she may find that she likes being treated like a lady.

Edited by Honey
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Honey said:

If Darcey would just go with it, she may find that she likes being treated like a lady.

He is dying to treat darcy with some respect but she is having none of it!

Darcy is trussed up like a common streetwalker and she will not be treated like anything more or less!  Leave the engagement ring by the nightstand on your way out!

Edited by RealReality
  • LOL 6
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, Honey said:

I'm going to go with the unpopular opinion that Tom is adorable.  He does not seem to take himself too seriously, his self deprecating manner appeals to me.  If Darcey would just go with it, she may find that she likes being treated like a lady.

I think so as well! He is behaving, from what we can see, like a grown man and I find that far more attractive than grunts of "so beautiful!"

• Love 12
8 hours ago, Honey said:

Oh, I just peed my pants.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Honey said:

Don't Darcey and Stacey have a clothing line called House of 11?  Isn't that where their money comes from?

“H of 11” went out of business during the first season. I guess even Jesse modeling it wasn’t enough to ensure success. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
14 hours ago, Honey said:

<snip>

I agree.  He's not MODEL handsome, and he's slightly chubby, not 30 years old, but he's got that British sense of humor & seems like a nice guy.  Definitely not what Darcey's looking for.

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, Kath94 said:

I agree.  He's not MODEL handsome, and he's slightly chubby, not 30 years old, but he's got that British sense of humor & seems like a nice guy.  Definitely not what Darcey's looking for.

I'd almost say that Tom is the most "normal" person we've seen on the show in a very long time.  His looks are average, he's polite, seems intelligent, and he has the right attitude for someone meeting for the first time.  He's not gushing about love (unlike sad sack Darcey).

• Love 12

Avery's conversion to Islam is just a phase. The fact that she dresses in the full costume tells me that she is also doing it for attention. If she didnt like attention, why would she be on this show ?

I have met many people who have converted to a new religion - the dress up part is the beginning, and then that is the first part to go when the person loses interest. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 8/20/2019 at 8:10 PM, Tuneful said:

Haha blubd,43, have you seen pics of EC in his early, poor, shabby years? I saw a resemblance. The difference is that EC had talent and taste ❣️

He also had a raging alcohol/heroin addiction. 

Luckily he  is in recovery and doing great things with his rehab center. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 8/19/2019 at 9:12 AM, Kroliosis said:

How would that work though?  I thought Canada had rather strict immigration rules?  Maybe he could get asylum, but how could she qualify?  She has nothing to offer.

Yes. Yes we do. You are right. He’s not a refugee and she’s no prize.

Maybe try Mexico kids 👍🏼

• LOL 1
On 8/19/2019 at 9:29 PM, Mothra said:

I think Tom is a new experience for Darcey--a man whose looks aren't up to her standards who is not sure he wants to fuck her, and she is confused.  Her whole game, it seems to me, is to come charging in with the sexy, and most men in her life, being on dick-drive, have followed her slavering to bed.  Tom, who is a normal-looking guy, is treating her as if she were a normal-looking woman with whom he's had an online relationship and is behaving the way I think most normal people would, and she can't stand it.

Nailed it. I wonder if she is one of those women who can't stand to not be wanted. She doesn't want him, but she will NOT be the one rejected, so will redouble her efforts to land him, just to prove that she can. Now she HAS to have sex with him. That's priority #1. It's the only way she knows how to get a man to stay. 

On 8/20/2019 at 7:24 AM, Mothra said:

Really?  I see what you (and others) are calling arrogance as typical British self-deprecating humor.  I don't think he really thinks he is handsome and sexy; I think he finds it funny to pretend to have "a good side" and so on.  I like Tom.  I don't find him hot or anything; he just strikes me as someone who'd be good company for a drink and maybe as a friend.

In terms of leading men, he's more Hugh Grant than James Bond, that's for sure.

On 8/20/2019 at 4:37 PM, Tuneful said:

Big Ange – Watching her and Mykool is like having neighbors in the next apartment who get drunk and fight every single night. It  gets old. I am amused though by Ange and her cornpone sayings…and know she does a difficult paid job while all but raising her grandchildren. Forget peanuts, sweet potatoes, or peaches, can’t she order up some good ol’ boy in her own neck of the woods?  And Doug at the Cotton Patch needs to be on more, he is priceless. 

The guy has proven over and over that he's a liar and doesn't care that she knows it. She keeps demanding that he change. I wonder exactly what her criteria are for proving that he's no longer a liar. Going how many days exactly, without being caught in a bald-faced lie?

This is the first episode of this show I've seen in a long time. (I haven't watched this show regularly since Nicole and Azan made their first appearance.) I don't know the background on Angie and Michael, but this one episode made it glaringly obvious that he does not care for or respect her. He thinks she's a pain in the butt, and every time he hangs up the phone, he laughs his ass off with his boys.

On 8/20/2019 at 5:35 PM, Mothra said:

I think he knows *exactly* what she is.  Hence the airb&b and the refusal to pick her up at the airport.  Self-preservation.

Always have an escape plan.

Yep. If he's even half the womanizer he claims to be, he knows from experience there is a certain type of woman who will boil your bunny when she doesn't get her way, and for that reason, you never give Crazy the key to your house.

Edited by sleepyjean
  • LOL 4
  • Love 6
On 8/23/2019 at 11:43 PM, Honey said:

I don't think Akinyi is attractive at all, with that gap in her teeth

Not every country has American attitudes about cosmetic dentistry. Furthermore, the center gap is actually considered beautiful in many parts of Africa.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, sleepyjean said:

Nailed it. I wonder if she is one of those women who can't stand to not be wanted. She doesn't want him, but she will NOT be the one rejected, so will redouble her efforts to land him, just to prove that she can. Now she HAS to have sex with him. That's priority #1. It's the only way she knows how to get a man to stay. 

In terms of leading men, he's more Hugh Grant than James Bond, that's for sure.

The guy has proven over and over that he's a liar and doesn't care that she knows it. She keeps demanding that he change. I wonder exactly what her criteria are for proving that he's no longer a liar. Going how many days exactly, without being caught in a bald-faced lie?

This is the first episode of this show I've seen in a long time. (I haven't watched this show regularly since Nicole and Azan made their first appearance.) I don't know the background on Angie and Michael, but this one episode made it glaringly obvious that he does not care for or respect her. He thinks she's a pain in the butt, and every time he hangs up the phone, he laughs his ass off with his boys.

Yep. If he's even half the womanizer he claims to be, he knows from experience there is a certain type of woman who will boil your bunny when she doesn't get her way, and for that reason, you never give Crazy the key to your house.

I see Angela as the type of woman who makes unreasonable demands and Michael instead of arguing that she’s being unreasonable, lies about his behavior and when she realizes it, she flips out. 

Why couldn’t  he go out with friends for his birthday? I get she’s paranoid about the BJ episode but if she doesn’t trust him any longer then she needs to just break it off. Personally I think she’s enjoying the drama and the attention she’s getting, both on social media and in her personal life.

Every time she catches him in a lie, she makes empty threats to call off the wedding, but she never does. So he figures he can keep lying. 

• Love 5