Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: Docked and Loaded

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, scrb said:

Sandy was entrusted with that yacht and the deck crew has some experience with docking procedures.

They're suppose to be able to pull that maneuver.

It's like that Chris Rock joke about people saying "I take care of my kids!"

"You're suppose to take care of your kids!"

You don't get extra credit for doing the job you were hired to do.

But you should be given extra credit for doing it exceptionally well.  I've seen many a great captain have to make numerous maneuvers to get into a slip.  There are many factors involved.  It's not like backing your car into a parking spot.  You have to make adjustments for the wind and the currents and the tide.  

• Love 12
On 8/5/2019 at 11:52 PM, scenicbyway said:

Ana’s food was fine but the Americans were looking for big hot piles of food.

I agree but the funny thing is they said they told Capt'n Sandy they wanted "5 Star" and didn't feel they got it. Big piles of food is not "5 Star". 

• Love 5
On 8/5/2019 at 6:51 PM, pieinmyeye said:

Look up class in the dictionary and I bet we’d see her picture. Is it just me or has this season lasted for months?

Great post....but...

Is it just me?....

OR....has this CHARTER lasted for months?

completely get what you mean

• LOL 2
  • Love 8

I'm relieved to report after a conversation on another site that the article about Johnny Damon is satire (check the bottom of the link). He is, however, a jerk. That's why he was satirized. 

Edited by bref
  • Useful 7
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

I agree but the funny thing is they said they told Capt'n Sandy they wanted "5 Star" and didn't feel they got it. Big piles of food is not "5 Star". 

But "5 star" is is also short hand for excellent food and service.  I think they were using "5 star" as we want a lot of excellent food and variety and not to have it get to the table luke warm and send it back rather than they wanted the fine dining cuisine they'd get at a "5 star" restaurant.

I do think at least part of the problem was that Hannah wasn't relaying to the Chef after the meals enough information to adjust to what the guests really seem to want vs what the preference sheets said and what had been previously served.  Letting Ana stay in her comfort zone probably did more harm than good.

• Love 7
21 hours ago, terrymct said:

I get a bit of a passive aggressive vibe off of her, especially in her talking head comments this week.   Oh sure, it's in her ear all the time....well except when it's "fallen" out.   Uh huh.  Girl friend knows what she's doing.  She doesn't want to be in instant contact with her boss.

Oh I can believe that June just doesn't want that earpiece in and resisting following that order. I just think she needs to learn how to explain the issue instead of doing the whole ....but, but I promise it's not me routine.  It isn't believable and it's run it's course. She needs to own it and explain what's really the issue regarding her and that damn radio.

I still think it's just that she can't handle the traffic. She may also be putting the volume very low to compensate but then she can't hear when she's being called. She's just not adjusting to her problem properly and is giving off a bit of attitude cause she can't get out from under obeying that particular rule. I'd rather she not try to make it into a Hannah doesn't like me thing cause at the end of the day there is no getting around the fact that she has to figure out a way to maintain radio contact at all time. Give it up already June, don't die on that hill.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

I do think at least part of the problem was that Hannah wasn't relaying to the Chef after the meals enough information to adjust to what the guests really seem to want vs what the preference sheets said and what had been previously served.  Letting Ana stay in her comfort zone probably did more harm than good.

I think Hannah would like to see Anastasia fall on her face as a chef and return to being a stew, both because she was a decent stew and also being Hannah would enjoy her fall.

• Love 12
13 hours ago, trimthatfat said:

I do think it was odd that one of the guests didn’t know they could make custom requests for breakfast (and other meals). Anastasia said “they were told”, but who told them? Hannah? Because I find it weird that they were told that and didn’t take advantage of it. Seems like a reasonable request.

What I didn't get was why Sandy seemed to think it was Anastasia's job to convey that to the guests. That's something Hannah should be putting out there front and center. I would expect the interior, the one's who are one on one with the guests all the times and the one's that would have those sort of discussions with the guests to be the ones to pass that information along WHILE serving. They are the ones that go up to the guests and ask them if they need anything and I've seen on many seasons the stews performing their duties in a manner along the lines of taking orders so why wouldn't the chef think that's how they are running their interior? Why would it be expected of Anastasia to inform the guests they can order custom meals. I also think Anastasia's automatic response of "they were told" was because she did start out as a third stew and that was probably something she knew as a given for them to convey to the guests. Sandy acted as if that piece of information was all on Ana to pass on to the guests and that is extra odd to me. I mean Sandy seemed extra put out by it and I can't understand why she's putting that all on Ana. Makes no sense to me. At all.

• Love 11
24 minutes ago, Yours Truly said:

I mean Sandy seemed extra put out by it and I can't understand why she's putting that all on Ana. Makes no sense to me. At all.

Because this is a TV show and the storyline requires they trash Anastasia and bring the overrated Ben to “save the day!”

On most of these seasons the chef has minimal contact with the guests other than the hello and goodbye and taking a bow after dinner. It is totally Hannah’s job to communicate the fact that they can order what they want. Did Sandy put Mila in charge of taking the egg order?

Once again a failure by Sandy and Hannah that they want to pin on someone else.  

• Love 7
34 minutes ago, Yours Truly said:

Sandy acted as if that piece of information was all on Ana to pass on to the guests and that is extra odd to me. I mean Sandy seemed extra put out by it and I can't understand why she's putting that all on Ana. Makes no sense to me. At all.

Not to defend Captain Sandy, but I think she was more objecting to Anastasia's attitude/tone which did not reflect the kind of service mentality she wants on her boat. She's not wrong about that.  Anastasia, whom I actually like, did say that she was going to go up and serve the dessert so that the guests could praise her, not so that she could make sure everything was to their liking.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
On 8/5/2019 at 10:08 PM, queenjen said:

Catch Hannah's low key 'you'll always be a 3rd stew to me ' shade with Anastasia: 'killing animals is something you need to be able to do AS A CHEF'. Hannah is superficially supportive of Anastasia, but in reality, she's slavering in anticipation that Ana fails. That said, watching Anastasia mug and simper and baby talk about having to 'murder ' lobsters? Take a row. She gave Joao his 2nd chance this episode, no, 3rd to show what a manly Zimbabwean he truly is as he butchered the crustaceans for her. Prior to that, he removed the drunken sailor and saved the anchor. 

Where was Travis when lobsters needed butchering? Also, while I fully believe last season Joao is still present, Travis' reaction to Joao speaking to him where Travis walked of muttering expletives, calling Joao a fking dckhd? Nothing Joao did during that interaction seemed to warrant that response from Travis. But. I'm wondering if Joao's 'redemption' arc is all we're seeing. That, or Travis is really unhinged. I'm wondering if Travis will be the 1 to be fired too. I found his sudden 'appreciation of Anastasia' speech rather weird. The fact that he's also spending time with her in the Galley could give Hannah reason to go at Anastasia, given Hannah probably regards Travis as her territory, even though she turned down his date. 

The only thing that makes sense to me with respect to June is if she's Conrad's current GF (1 of the rumours) and just not cut out for the kind of intrigue that production are seeking. June throwing up in response to Hannah's 2nd raptor like question about whether she has a boyfriend makes sense if she's really uncomfortable with the idea of Hannah finding out. June constantly whines about how mean Hannah is to her (when she's really not. June is behaving with great incompetence ) possibly because she'll feel better about being outed as Conrad's GF if Hannah is truly a monster in June's eyes. 

I hope Anders the obgyn comes home to find he's got no patients. He is crass and tacky. The guests of the primary seem to be vying with 1 another (and led in this by the primary's classless wife ) to impress the great Johnny Damon with constant references to his virility. Really not a classy standard of guests, this lot. It's sad how frequently we see this dynamic on these charters. Jackie, the Queen of Versailles, seemed to be barely tolerated by her guests also. 

OMG...I never gave any thought to Trav being fired!!! 

Apologize if this has been discussed..but didn’t Anastasia say she’s worked both interior AND exterior when she introduced herself in beginning?

perhaps she’s going to work with guys...making one deck hand positions “redundant”...Cap Sandy states in upcoming scenes.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
42 minutes ago, Shellbell59 said:

...but didn’t Anastasia say she’s worked both interior AND exterior when she introduced herself in beginning?

Unsure, but June definitely said she had worked both interior and deck, so maybe she'll move outside?

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Is it me or is Joao sniffing around June? She seems to think so when she said she wasn’t interested in dealing with “Captain-Save-A-Ho.”

If he is he better move quick because if Ben is really coming on then he might be out of luck. Although there was a preview of a sort of flirtation with Hannah. I think they shook hands and she thinks they are engaged.

Colin’s right. We didn’t sign up for this.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Yours Truly said:

Oh I can believe that June just doesn't want that earpiece in and resisting following that order. I just think she needs to learn how to explain the issue instead of doing the whole ....but, but I promise it's not me routine.  It isn't believable and it's run it's course. She needs to own it and explain what's really the issue regarding her and that damn radio.

But by June’s own words she drops the earpiece repeatedly in addition there is also tons of video of her not having it in which is unacceptable. She has legit never complained about other people over the radio even Colin who is trying in his sad pathetic way to hit in her rolled his eyes over her “radio malfunction” and showed her it was working. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4
On 8/6/2019 at 12:10 AM, ninjago said:

I was surprised they ate on the boat instead of eating somewhere on shore.

June looks so much like Patricia Arquette.

I didn't think the drunk Norwegian guy was even that bad.  They invited him on board, and he got a little animated saying he loves America and America "pulling out" (presumably meaning backing out of international relationships and agreements) was wrong.  He wasn't even Anti-American.  Then he asked Johnny Damon to come on his boat.  The guests were the ones who got all heated and belligerent over it.

I think Hannah realized that it could possibly escalate and be too much for Colin to handle, which was why she offered to get Joao.  There wouldn't have been a problem had "miss I run this boat" kept her hand out of the drunk Norwegian's face.  The minute he became physical by smacking her hand out of his face, it became an issue.

• Love 3
On 8/6/2019 at 8:14 AM, scrb said:

Sandy was entrusted with that yacht and the deck crew has some experience with docking procedures.

They're suppose to be able to pull that maneuver.

It's like that Chris Rock joke about people saying "I take care of my kids!"

"You're suppose to take care of your kids!"

You don't get extra credit for doing the job you were hired to do.

You know what?

initially I felt the same way...why all the accolades for something you SHOULD be able to do?

then I rewind...and hear Jawao refer to “Stern To” docking being their first time.

so I looked up and sure enough a lot of pilots choose not to...(take the ‘prudent’ approach....dock elsewhere...period...

navigating a small boat is difficult enough...let alone this beast!!!

.besides the so experienced deckhand Travis even came out of his ongoing indifference to say Sandy was the shit. “What an absolute boss”

So ...IMO...might be rare to happen and the kudos...

After all… They collected a crowd!

...plus ...somebody mentioned this...point in fact...many larger vessels are actually piloted in by local captain as they are familiar with said marina..

example: with weather/wind...sand bars can shift...leaving very unexpected shallow areas. The local pilot is aware of the constant changes as other vessels report with information...

What can I say… I was effing impressed!!!😀

Edited by Shellbell59
  • Love 15
12 hours ago, bref said:

Johnny Damon is satire (check the bottom of the link). He is, however, a jerk. That's why he was satirized.

MONEY CAN'T BUY YOU CLASS! [picture LuAnn singing, sloshing and falling in the bushes]

Jerk is a very nice word for that ahole.  If you like your steaks, shudders, medium or well done then you tell the waiter.  Who doesn't know that?  On a yacht they must just assume you like your meat how it was intended.  I am impressed that the crew got all those rowdies either off the boat or into their cabins.  By the way, the interloper was not wrong in what he said.

11 minutes ago, Shellbell59 said:

so I looked up and sure enough a lot of pilots choose not to...(take the ‘prudent’ approach....dock elsewhere...period...

OK!  FINE!  I admit it.  I will search for a non-parallel parking spot.  Never learned it, never used it and won't.  No they didn't teach it in driver's ed.  Our city had no parallel parking so it wasn't on the driving test.  How could it be?  Detroit and their all parallel all the time drives me nuts.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

I guess the guests didn’t fill out the preference sheet or Ana didn’t read it...fastest way to cook lobsters for this crowd? Boil up a big pot of sea water, add some herbs, toss in the lobsters.  Melt butter put in bowls.  Serve very hot lobster & butter to guests. Give them plastic bibs. Throw in a salad. Buy some bread from a local bakery.  Happy he men, happy wives, happy captain!

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
5 minutes ago, Bunnyette said:

I guess the guests didn’t fill out the preference sheet or Ana didn’t read it...fastest way to cook lobsters for this crowd? Boil up a big pot of sea water, add some herbs, toss in the lobsters.  Melt butter put in bowls.  Serve very hot lobster & butter to guests. Give them plastic bibs. Throw in a salad. Buy some bread from a local bakery.  Happy he men, happy wives, happy captain!

Yes!  I always thought you just threw them live in the pot.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, jumper sage said:

MONEY CAN'T BUY YOU CLASS! [picture LuAnn singing, sloshing and falling in the bushes]

Jerk is a very nice word for that ahole.  If you like your steaks, shudders, medium or well done then you tell the waiter.  Who doesn't know that?  On a yacht they must just assume you like your meat how it was intended.  I am impressed that the crew got all those rowdies either off the boat or into their cabins.  By the way, the interloper was not wrong in what he said.

OK!  FINE!  I admit it.  I will search for a non-parallel parking spot.  Never learned it, never used it and won't.  No they didn't teach it in driver's ed.  Our city had no parallel parking so it wasn't on the driving test.  How could it be?  Detroit and their all parallel all the time drives me nuts.

You’re to funny!! Like I said... I totally get what you were saying… Why all the praise? For something you should be able to do. 

Then I thought… I’m a private pilot…there are rare circumstances that I DO know how to handle....” wind shears” at any given time...(...im expected to do what’s necessary)..but it’s rare I’ll be put in the position....one has to “just keep flying the damn plane” 

However if I’m trying to get over a mountain range...facing unexpected head winds causing me to use more fuel...and I’m there going over summit to only see in front of me...a ‘standing lenticular cloud’ (causes real problems with expected wind patterns...near mountain ranges)no place to land....it’s a call a pilot has to make.based on several guages and calculations.

did I make it?...yes...did I kiss the earth after landing (worse landing ever shaking so bad)... YES! everybody at airport waiting for me cheered! Accolades...I had passengers! 🥴

Yes I should know how to do it but rarely people have to face that situation...The more I read it sounds like Captain Sandy was put in the same type of situation…

even though it’s much safer with feet (yacht) close to earth...but..

IMO...Cap Sandy was in a rare sitch...as was I...to keep one’s Sharte together is something worth applauding...when one has the elements working against them...VERY quickly...

=Safe harbor before the 60+ knots and rolling vessels prevent ability to dock.

the scene reminded of some jerks who ‘hug the lines’ so tight I can’t even open my car door.

(I have a bunch of those fake tickets for inconsiderate parking..berate then...ends with

“...And may the fleas of 1000 camels infest your armpits”

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Forgot to mention....women (not so much today I guess) have always been ‘tagged’ as inferior drivers....

f to the NO....I can out drive and outfly most ALL...because I can think and predict further than the end of my nose

Same goes for the Captain

just my opinion

BTW...I realize lenticulars are found on lee side...but smaller formations/microclimates on accent caused my unexpected headwinds 

Edited by Shellbell59
Addendum- Cap Sandy’s ability to pilot as well as a man
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4

I just rewatched the steak and lobster episodes and this is what I saw

Steak: friend said that it looked a little under done for you (damon), who then said it was undercooked and sent it back saying could I get this cooked a little bit more. Anastasia mentions it not cooked properly and sends it back as medium

Lobster: can I have this cooked a little more...more medium.  He did later say I like my food super warm, super hot. 

The complaint voiced to crew was undercooked, not too cool. He only mentioned temperature to the other guests, not to crew, at least not in the moment. I stopped paying attention to see if he specifically mentioned temperature to Cap, or just disappointment in the actual food provided

No idea how or why that link got embedded, but can't figure out how to delete it.

Edited by terrymct
Stupid autocorrect uncorrects
  • Love 2
On 8/6/2019 at 6:20 PM, ParadoxLost said:

She definitely said at one point that she can't control how much it cools off between the galley and the table.  

Wouldn't plate dome covers keep the food warm while it is being transported from the galley to the table? I don't think I've seen them used on the Below Deck yachts.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, luvthepros said:

At the very bottom of the page, there is a disclaimer in RED. This is what it says......

Copyright 2003, The Brushback - Do not reprint without permission. This article is satire and not intended as actual news. Duh!

I didn't reprint it --I linked to it and you can cross check the facts if you like. I never claimed it was news. Did you really think anyone would believe her bed was moved to the parking lot?

Edited by tranquilidade
7 hours ago, langford peel said:

Because this is a TV show and the storyline requires they trash Anastasia and bring the overrated Ben to “save the day!”

This is not the first time I've seen Ben referred to as "overrated". To my best recollection, Ben has had so few to no complaints about his food. The charter guests always seem to be ecstatic about Ben's food. 

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, luvthepros said:

This is not the first time I've seen Ben referred to as "overrated". To my best recollection, Ben has had so few to no complaints about his food. The charter guests always seem to be ecstatic about Ben's food. 

So guests always enjoy his food? I’d agree...haven’t heard myself about ppl saying he’s overrated.

HOWEVER...I watched a few eps of a Gordon Ramsay...the title was something “like”...or equivalent to home...family...and cooking meals.

he made an effing meatloaf that was exactly my recipe...(including worchestersire sauce even!

• Love 1

However, Johnny Damon did write an autobiography where does talk about cheating on his wife.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-xpm-2005-04-03-0504030086-story.html

https://nypost.com/2005/04/03/ex-bashing-book-wont-distract-damon/

http://nymag.com/news/sports/16528/

A number of the reviews of the book on Amazon and Goodreads mention that Damon admitted to cheating on his first wife while she was in labor, so I think the claim is somewhat true.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Yeah but the picture of him screwing one of the nurses in the delivery room and his wife seeing them was ridiculous.

That nurse and the other hospital employees must not give a damn about their jobs.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, tranquilidade said:

I didn't reprint it --I linked to it and you can cross check the facts if you like. I never claimed it was news. Did you really think anyone would believe her bed was moved to the parking lot?

I'm aware you linked to the article and did not reprint it. What I was aiming to point out is the article is satire. In fact, I have read a few others who have made that come to light since the article was linked for the firs time. (I'm late catching up on the posts).

To be honest, I did not read the entire article so I never read about his wife's bed being moved to the parking lot. OMG....that is hilarious!!!. My husband pointed out to me that the article was a satire and told me about the disclaimer at the very bottom of the article.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Shellbell59 said:

So guests always enjoy his food? I’d agree...haven’t heard myself about ppl saying he’s overrated.

HOWEVER...I watched a few eps of a Gordon Ramsay...the title was something “like”...or equivalent to home...family...and cooking meals.

he made an effing meatloaf that was exactly my recipe...(including worchestersire sauce even!

My meatloaf recipe has Worcestershire Sauce also. My recipe is from my Italian great Aunt and the recipe is probably 100 years old. Besides ground beef, the recipe calls for Ketsup, parsley, Italian seasoned bread crumbs, egg, salt and pepper.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, luvthepros said:

My meatloaf recipe has Worcestershire Sauce also. My recipe is from my Italian great Aunt and the recipe is probably 100 years old. Besides ground beef, the recipe calls for Ketsup, parsley, Italian seasoned bread crumbs, egg, salt and pepper.

Bingo!!! Best meatloaf..👏👏👏

Sometimes I would use Fritos instead of bread crumbs...adding green onion...green Ortega Chile....and ‘core’ of cheese....through center...when I had a houseful of teenagers...It seem to make her go a bit further with the extra protein… Fun to play with

Well… I guess somebody has to spread the word… And Gordon Ramsay has the platform..I sure don’t...🥴😆😆

Edited by Shellbell59
  • Useful 1

Whenever I've made meatloaf, I use regular white bread slices and cut them into small cubes and mush it all in together with everything else.  Bread soaks up all the juices and makes the ML very moist and fluffy instead of a dense brick that could happen. Plus it's kinda like having a ML sandwich..... cuz ML is basically a big fat fancy burger and a burger needs its bun. Oh, and lots of parmesan or romano

Edited by 100Proof
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, jumper sage said:

The way that Anastasia instructed Joao to do it is considered more humane because they die instantly when you plunge the knife into the nervous system versus the 2 or 3 minutes it takes for them to die if you boil them alive. 

• Love 4

I make Alton Brown’s recipe for meatloaf. Always a hit! 

12 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

What's worse?

Having Jack lick your face in the galley or being married to Mrs. Johnny Damon?

I choose secret option C—-being married to Johnny Damon himself. Or any of his douchebag male friends on that yacht, really. 

11 hours ago, luvthepros said:

Totally agree. Plus, unless you’ve personally tasted his food, I would think it’s hard to know if somebody is “overrated” or not. 

• Love 5
13 hours ago, jumper sage said:

You do!  Also, I would have hoped that Anastasia would have clarified the butter because one of those guests would have complained about the lumpy congealed butter.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, langford peel said:

Is it me or is Joao sniffing around June? She seems to think so when she said she wasn’t interested in dealing with “Captain-Save-A-Ho.”

If he is he better move quick because if Ben is really coming on then he might be out of luck. Although there was a preview of a sort of flirtation with Hannah. I think they shook hands and she thinks they are engaged.

Colin’s right. We didn’t sign up for this.

João doesn’t seem interested in June. I think he sensed something was off with her from the moment she stepped foot on the boat, which is why he asked his team what they taught. That and his bestie has a crush on her and he seems to be very protective of Colin, so he wouldn’t approach her. He maintained a safe distance from her when he was trying to find out why she thinks Hannah hates her. Her whole “Captain save a ho” comment came out of left field, because all he said was get a good night’s rest and start over in the morning. I don’t see why she taught he was trying to rescue her.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, scrb said:

Yeah but the picture of him screwing one of the nurses in the delivery room and his wife seeing them was ridiculous.

That nurse and the other hospital employees must not give a damn about their jobs.

The whole thing was so over-the-top implausible.  It read like a satire script for a bad porno.

Which is not to say that JD isn't also a cheating a-hole.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, spunky said:

Her whole “Captain save a ho” comment came out of left field, because all he said was get a good night’s rest and start over in the morning. I don’t see why she taught he was trying to rescue her.

When Joao and later Aesha comforted June, I wonder why neither mentioned that listening to her radio and responding would make her life on the yacht so much better. They could have said it very kindly and that feedback would help her a lot more than, "Get some rest."

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, Jsage said:

When Joao and later Aesha comforted June, I wonder why neither mentioned that listening to her radio and responding would make her life on the yacht so much better. They could have said it very kindly and that feedback would help her a lot more than, "Get some rest."

It seems as though Joao was using the Sandy approach, start off gentle then hit with the hard facts. Unfortunately June pulled her invisible curtain and shut him down. Aesha seems to be using the "not my problem" approach.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, biakbiak said:

But by June’s own words she drops the earpiece repeatedly in addition there is also tons of video of her not having it in which is unacceptable. She has legit never complained about other people over the radio even Colin who is trying in his sad pathetic way to hit in her rolled his eyes over her “radio malfunction” and showed her it was working. 

My point is that she's got an issue with the radio, I'm thinking it's the traffic and the noise. I'm also thinking that in addition to dropping the earpiece and not having the radio she's lowering the volume. Serious recipe for disaster.

What I'm saying is that I think the reason for her treating the radio that way is cause the noise and the chatter combined with her less than focused ways is just overwhelming for her. Not saying it's not a childish reason I'm just saying that I don't believe her intent is all that sinister in nature.

Add that she's being so messy with how she's trying to dodge not answering and yeah, it's pretty ridiculous which is why I want her to drop the whole, "huh, what? I have noooooo idea why I'm not hearing the radio" bit and come clean that she finds dealing with the radio traffic and radio calls distracting. Like walking and chewing gum distracting if you get my drift. (Not to be mean).  I'm guessing she thinks expressing that would get some very condescending reactions but is failing to realize that this stupid routine is making her look way worse than just admitting to the reality that she finds working with the radio challenging.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, spunky said:

João doesn’t seem interested in June. I think he sensed something was off with her from the moment she stepped foot on the boat, which is why he asked his team what they taught. That and his bestie has a crush on her and he seems to be very protective of Colin, so he wouldn’t approach her. He maintained a safe distance from her when he was trying to find out why she thinks Hannah hates her. Her whole “Captain save a ho” comment came out of left field, because all he said was get a good night’s rest and start over in the morning. I don’t see why she taught he was trying to rescue her.

I think she was just overthinking it. First off I do think she misused the term. Shocker.. LOL. I do think she maybe thought he was showing fake concern in order to report back to Hannah? Maybe? She doesn't seem to trust people that easily and when she uses save a hoe it's because of the way the phrase SOUNDS. It gives off the negative connotations she's trying to express about Joao's intentions.  Basically that she thinks that he is being less than sincere. For whatever reason. I think it's sad that she's so prone to distrusting people's intentions when they deal with her. 

Thing is June seems a bit paranoid. I hate to act like I know what's going on but it seems to me that June has to deal with unpleasant attitudes from people regularly due to her less that sharp demeanor so she's got this very awkward wall (or invisible curtain) up in order to shield herself from more criticism. She just doesn't have the necessary people skills to offset her social awkwardness and slow processing skills. She knows she's got traits that aggravate others but I'm inclined to believe that's just how she is. The undercurrent of attitude I think is resentment cause she can already tell she's dealing with people who aren't tolerant and are automatically assigning her struggling with things as a reason to be short with her. 

People like her want desperately for others to adjust their behavior and pray that they will restrain from reacting so negatively to her. Hopeful that she's come across people that will be a little more patient however at her age she's still getting in her own way when it comes to manuevering through these interactions. People like her need very patient, tolerant and kind hearted audience who will take the time to understand what's happening and who is interested in figuring out the best way to interact with a person like June. And Reality TV and a fast pace job like being on Below Deck ain't gonna find those kind of people for sure. 

I just recognize a lot of her "defensive" behaviors and see a very familiar pattern. Makes me wish I could be there and be an "interpreter" between her and the rest of the crew... LOL!!!

Edited by Yours Truly
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

What's worse?

Having Jack lick your face in the galley or being married to Mrs. Johnny Damon?

Jack licking your face is probably brief, but being married to Mrs. Johnny Damon is forever.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Jsage said:

See it's simple things like this that would probable make June less defensive and start to trust her coworkers. That bump in assurance, that they are willing to encourage her and help her with kind advice would probably go along way.

She's been taking the temperature of how she's treated when she makes mistakes (knowing there will probably be more in the future) and seeing that she's going to be in for a lot of grief. I think if, from day one she would have been reassured that mistakes are okay, and she'll be guided and informed about what corrections she needs to make moving forward without it being treated like it's the end of the world then she probably wouldn't have such a defiant curtain up right now.

From her first day you can tell she was already worried and one of the problems with June is that she "drops hints" while still trying to act like she's got it under control. I get it. It's hard to show up and say "ummm I'm kinda useless til I get it down so Imma need a bit of work with what I need to do around here." Which is what she kinda said when she described how "different people, want things done different way" see that was a hint. She knows she needs extra instruction but she doesn't want to actually admit to being such a burden on the crew. Instead she just lets herself be a burden with the hopes that she can salvage it with excuses and attempts at blaming "miscommunication". It's all a defense mechanism.

In my personal experience with this I just got tired of it.  Didn't really help me anyway and I looked more incompetent than I would have had I just stuck to my guns stared stupidly at my supervisor after the second attempt at understanding her explanation about something then saying, "yeah, no, ya gonna have to try yet another pass on that cause I still don't get it".  I had an undercurrent of attitude cause honestly it's fucked up to be rude to people just cause you get frustrated and I felt that a bit of understanding should be a right afforded to everyone but after a while I had to stop being so dependent on a philosophy a lot people don't respect and take matters into my own hands. I became unapologetic for not understanding something the first go round and boldly forced people to bear with me and work with me regarding conveying instructions. Sometimes I've even shamed people who became visibly frustrated and callously rude at my expense and calmly told them that it's rather disappointing that they resorted to being disrespectful and tried to embarrass me over something that doesn't warrant such a distasteful response. And that maybe they needed to look into something that would help them manage their emotional distress during rather benign situations. Once I learned that tactic, life became a lot easier. Give them a taste of their own condescending bullshit and people tend to back off and rethink how they approach you the next time. LOL!

Edited by Yours Truly
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
39 minutes ago, Special K said:

Jack licking your face is probably brief, but being married to Mrs. Johnny Damon is forever.

I don’t know. The previous Mrs Johnny Damons (plural) didn’t think it was forever. Just long enough to get alimony.

Edited by langford peel
  • LOL 7
  • Love 2