Type keyword(s) to search

Former Hosts: PROFESSIONAL Life After The View

Jaded
  • Start Topic

I didn't know about it, so thanks for posting, Jaded! :) 

I'm interested to see them together again. I believe Joy was on with her a couple times the season of Rosie's return to The View a couple times, wasn't she? I can't remember if Joy started guest co-hosting while Rosie O was still there (the month Whoopi was out with her back) or after Rosie had already left in March. I remember when Joy was on The Meredith Vieira Show around the time she came back to The View, she made a bit of a mean joke about Rosie, so it'll be interesting to see how they interact with one another. Joy's firsthand witnessed Whoopi's crazy with Paula and Sunny since then. And I know someone posted on Rosie's wall before about how Joy defended her when they were talking about Trump last year.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 3

I thought it was a fun show, and it made me miss Rosie on daytime. In retrospect, Joy's right that it was Rosie pointing out his bankruptcies and his loans from daddy that really drove him off the deep end with her. Way back before 2016, I used to think it was because she made fun of his hair, but Joy's right that that his myth of being self-made is most likely the real reason he went at her like a lunatic.

I liked them laughing at Star's "I'm a lawyer" thing. I wondered if Joy had seen Barbara lately myself, so I'm glad Andy asked that question. I think old age is hard for Barbara because she liked to control things and be very precise/prepared, and her mental faculties were taking a bit of a hit when she left The View as far as being quick and being able to following the convo while also presenting the points she'd prepared. I know she's not very popular here at all, but I hope she's doing well.

The drag impersonators were perfect. I thought the guy from The Voice dressed as Whoopi was the best one, too.

• Love 12

That was a wonderful show! And I’m so glad Joy put to rest that ridiculous rumor that Jedifoxbot was fired because of her questions to Hillary.

It was bittersweet to see these two together because I miss them on this show. I need to watch that show Rosie is on now on Showtime.

And the right person won the pageant! He was a dead ringer for Whoopi!!!! “Andy? You in danger, gurl.”

?????

• Love 7
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And the right person won the pageant! He was a dead ringer for Whoopi!!!! “Andy? You in danger, gurl.”

?????

I thought it was Whoopi at first because he looked just like her in the face. Then I saw below the neck and realized the body was too small to really be her. ?

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Jaded said:

I thought it was Whoopi at first because he looked just like her in the face. Then I saw below the neck and realized the body was too small to really be her. ?

And you know if Whoopi was there, she would NOT be pleased. She’d be like: ???

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Jaded said:

Here's the WWHL after show which lasted longer then usual. It's 14 min long. None of those games like during the main show to distract.

Loved this after show. I thought it was meatier than the actual show.

Edited by ChiCricket
More to say
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Jaded said:

Here's the WWHL after show which lasted longer then usual. It's 14 min long. None of those games like during the main show to distract.

Oh this was AWESOME!!! I loved how Joy wouldn’t admit to anything about the Peyton Place atmosphere!!????

And Joy may like Meghan, but Meghan certainly doesn’t give her the respect Joy deserves with her combative attitude, if she also is friendly toward Joy behind the scenes.

BUT. I REALLY want to know what Joy whispered in Rosie’s ear at the end, dammit!!

• Love 10
On 11/11/2017 at 6:16 AM, imjagain said:

Man, I wish we knew the details  about the behind the scenes.  Crazy sounding  stuff Rosie alluded to.

I really the after show better. 

I would love to know, too.  I want to know why Barbara fired Joy.  What issues could she have had with her?!   I don't think Barbara is well liked among those who sat in those chairs over the years.  There was a silence around Barbara that smacked of fear.  Not at what Babs could do to them but more of how those who revered her would react.  They all had reputations and careers to protect.  I don't think she is as well liked as she thinks she is.  I don't know anyone who likes or is impressed with her in any way.  

Ever hear Joy or Whoopie or any of them say anything about Barbara that is good?  Nope.  Nothing bad either, that is what I mean.  If she were deserving of praise we would have heard them speak up. 

I keep waiting for her to show up in the Celebrity Deaths thread.  LOL  I am not wishing her dead but she is old.  I bet there won't be any "I am crying as I type this," comments.  

I am a terrible person.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Ever hear Joy or Whoopie or any of them say anything about Barbara that is good?  

Actually, yes. Whoopi said how it was Barbara who hired her after she’d been “blackballed” for six, seven years. Joy said it was Barbara who gave her the job on this show that she loves. They have praised Babs for creating this show.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Actually, yes. Whoopi said how it was Barbara who hired her after she’d been “blackballed” for six, seven years. Joy said it was Barbara who gave her the job on this show that she loves. They have praised Babs for creating this show.

Ah yes, I remember that.  Okay, one thing.  :>

2 hours ago, wings707 said:

I would love to know, too.  I want to know why Barbara fired Joy.  What issues could she have had with her?!   I don't think Barbara is well liked among those who sat in those chairs over the years.  There was a silence around Barbara that smacked of fear.  Not at what Babs could do to them but more of how those who revered her would react.  They all had reputations and careers to protect.  I don't think she is as well liked as she thinks she is.  I don't know anyone who likes or is impressed with her in any way.  

Ever hear Joy or Whoopie or any of them say anything about Barbara that is good?  Nope.  Nothing bad either, that is what I mean.  If she were deserving of praise we would have heard them speak up. 

I keep waiting for her to show up in the Celebrity Deaths thread.  LOL  I am terrible.  I am not wishing her dead but she is old.  I bet there won't be any "I am crying as I type this," comments.  

I am a terrible person.  

Barbara fired Joy because she fired Bitsy. So people wouldn't say that she was picking on the poor innocent conservative. 

• Love 5

I think they fired Joy because they wanted the show to be "younger." So they hired Jenny McCarthy. Big mistake. Then they called Joy to come back and Joy only said yes when they sweetened the pot with more money and she became the Friday moderator. 

• Love 8
22 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Oh this was AWESOME!!! I loved how Joy wouldn’t admit to anything about the Peyton Place atmosphere!!????

And Joy may like Meghan, but Meghan certainly doesn’t give her the respect Joy deserves with her combative attitude, if she also is friendly toward Joy behind the scenes.

BUT. I REALLY want to know what Joy whispered in Rosie’s ear at the end, dammit!!

What was telling was that Joy did not deny Rosie's assertions on what went on behind the scenes.  In fact, she agreed that the year that Rosie came on was the hardest year due to what was going on. She even said that Barbara was acting crazy as well. I loved it when Rosie said that the split screen debacle was Bill Geddie's wet dream, lol. We used to say that over at TWTP.

• Love 10
10 hours ago, wings707 said:

I would love to know, too.  I want to know why Barbara fired Joy.  What issues could she have had with her?!   

I've had several theories over the years (some to do with Barbara, some to do with others behind the scenes):

- As rcc said, one reason could be they didn't want backlash when they sent Elisabeth packing. (If this is it, I like to think those last two or three Elisabeth-free months before the end of the season and Joy's farewell show were Joy's compensation, lol.)

- TPTB wanted a fluffier show with Sherri and Jenny there, with less politics and even telling Jenny McCarthy not to talk about her anti-vaccination beliefs.

- Barbara wanted to be the longest-reigning co-host of her show when she left at the end of The Year of Barbara (which meant Joy getting fired).

- My other theory is that Rosie O'Donnell was behind the decision, and that she wanted to clean house of everyone that was at the show when she'd been present the last time she'd co-hosted the show. There are some hints that Rosie's return was in the works for quite a while and that Barbara herself encouraged Rosie taking the helm (Elisabeth commented on how she was uncomfortable over Rosie putting together Barbara's final shows in the media after the co-host reunion because she was pissed), so the firings might've begun a year ahead of time to space them out for the viewers' sake with first Elisabeth, then Joy a few months later, then Sherri a year later (on top of Barbara's retirement). I don't think Rosie had any animosity with Sherri, just that she thought Sherri wasn't very intelligent; I remember around the time she returned, Rosie mocked the fact that Sherri once talked about thinking the world was flat on the show and that the new season was going to have smarter women. No explanation needed for Elisabeth. As for Joy, some comments from Rosie on her website give the impression she thought Joy was complicit with the splitscreen drama or at least knew what everyone else was doing/planning. So she may have wanted her out, too, for that reason.

Now on that front, I could've understood Whoopi disliking Rosie coming into the season if Rosie'd been behind the other three getting axed. That said, I don't think that's why Whoopi acted the way she did. It was clearly all about her own ego because she didn't like someone new coming in and making decisions that Barbara would've been making (like coming in earlier to rehearse, which Whoopi pitched a bitch over, or making Friday's live, which Whoopi refused, or choosing certain topics to discuss--I remember they didn't talk about Cosby quite as often as they should have and when they finally did, Rosie made some remark about how this "has to be talked about" as if someone had been pushing to keep the topic from being discussed). Apparently Whoopi thought she should be in charge if anyone because she'd worked there so many years--even though she'd never shown any inclination to care before--not Rosie, who'd run a successful TV show before. That's more obvious after-the-fact from the way she acted in control of the hires of Michelle, Raven, Sara, and Meghan, and was/is openly hostile to Sunny and Paula (neither of whom were her picks--she even referred to Sara once by calling out ABC directly and saying something akin to "this is the one from GMA I said to get!" one day), and was even tense with Joy when she unexpectedly returned at the last minute*. Plus, I believe Whoopi thought Rosie was after her moderator job, because her contract only lasted another year and she might be about to lose her cushy do-nothing-get-millions job on The View. I don't think Rosie minded being a regular co-host until Whoopi started going crazy and arguing over even things they would've agreed on for the sake of arguing (the same way she did Paula the next year*).

*I think there was an extra layer of tension with Joy and especially Paula, because she thought ABC was bringing them in to replace her as moderator just like she felt Rosie had been. Of course she couldn't act as vile with Joy because she'd been on much longer and was generally beloved by the View audience; Paula was an unknown, and Whoopi never suffered any serious media attention to the way she treated Paula.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, wings707 said:
15 hours ago, imjagain said:

Man, I wish we knew the details  about the behind the scenes.  Crazy sounding  stuff Rosie alluded to.

I really the after show better. 

I keep waiting for her to show up in the Celebrity Deaths thread.  LOL  I am terrible.  I am not wishing her dead but she is old.  I bet there won't be any "I am crying as I type this," comments.  

I am a terrible person.  

No,  you aren't,  Just an honest one.

• Love 5

I always wondered if Bitsy's firing came from higher up. Which resulted in an incensed Sweaty Geddie so much that he took advantage of Babs declining mental health (which probably started before becoming apparent on screen) and convinced her to fire Joy. 

• Love 5

Rosie and Joy were everything on WWHL!

18 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

What was telling was that Joy did not deny Rosie's assertions on what went on behind the scenes.  In fact, she agreed that the year that Rosie came on was the hardest year due to what was going on. She even said that Barbara was acting crazy as well. I loved it when Rosie said that the split screen debacle was Bill Geddie's wet dream, lol. We used to say that over at TWTP.

A lot of this was illuminating. Rosie long thought the split screen was a 'fix', considering that this was weeks after she announced she was leaving (she had planned to finish S10 - this aired in the middle of May). She said they had never done a split before, and the producers that she had brought in were screaming to go to commercial. I also think Sherri Shepard, long a usual guest host, was hired in part because of her attempt to lighten the moment ("This is why I watch Dancing with the Stars"). When Rosie later went on the Today show to promote her ill-fated variety show, she asked a stunned Meredith Viera about the quickness of the split screen, "When's the last time (that director) got a single?" "There you go again!" cried the always diplomatic Viera.

Rosie vs. Elisabeth was a personal fight on TV that aired under the guise of a political one. I'll never forget the look on Rosie's face when that ended. 

My favorite aspects of S10 were when Rosie and Joy would riff. There was a time when Audra McDonald was the co-host and they discussed what they were like in high school. Joy refused to believe Rosie was homecoming queen and then deflected by saying she didn't know her when she was 16. Rosie countered by reminding Joy that they had worked together in comedy at that time. It was HILARIOUS (and sadly pulled from YouTube). So it was great to see them together on WWHL.

In Rosie's book, she talked about how Joy didn't like her at first, so I liked that Joy kind of explained that on WWHL, that she felt uncomfortable because Barbara was acting weird and also because Meredith had left. A lot of us have had jobs where a longtime, well-liked co-worker leaves. It can really change the mood.

• Love 6

Yes Barbara created the show but Bill Geddes was the boss as executive producer.  He is a right wing staunch republican.  Barbara is republican too,  though she never reveals where her vote goes.  She did tip her hand when she crawled up Kissinger's ass though.  Bill may have been behind firing Joy.  Not because of her politics necessarily but I have a hunch they didn't get along.  

Brian Teta joined The View as co executive producer with Candi Carter in 2015.  He had been with Letterman for 11 years.  I think he was instrumental in getting Joy back. 

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Yes Barbara created the show but Bill Geddes was the boss as executive producer.  He is a right wing staunch republican.  Barbara is republican too,  though she never reveals where her vote goes.  She did tip her hand when she crawled up Kissinger's ass though.  Bill may have been behind firing Joy.  Not because of her politics necessarily but I have a hunch they didn't get along.  

Brian Teta joined The View as co executive producer with Candi Carter in 2015.  He had been with Letterman for 11 years.  I think he was instrumental in getting Joy back. 

Barbara was the boss as well.   I think Barbara was a Republican, but, socially liberal.  Plus, the show wanted Joy part time, as a contributor and she said no way. She wanted a contract and the show gave in to her.  

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, wings707 said:

I think Bill wanted Joy gone because she was a smart, articulate woman ... too smart for him to manipulate!!!

• Love 11
7 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

Barbara was the boss as well.   I think Barbara was a Republican, but, socially liberal.  Plus, the show wanted Joy part time, as a contributor and she said no way. She wanted a contract and the show gave in to her.  

Barbara had a lot of say, of course.  However it takes a lot of work for the exec producer to keep their finger on the pulse of what viewers want, the talent, show content and ratings.  Barbara was the queen who watched Bill do all the leg work and made decrees of what she wanted, most likely.  I don't think she always got her way.  

Agree on bold. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

I think Bill wanted Joy gone because she was a smart, articulate woman ... too smart for him to manipulate!!!

He muzzled her when it came to Elizabeth.  I remember how Joy would let Elizabeth spew her nonsense without any type of pushback from her. Plus, Rosie told us how every morning she would be in Bill's office discussing her talking points.  Whenever, she was forced to defend her beliefs, she always looked confused and did not know how to articulate them. I remember Barbara asked her why was Sarah Palin so good to become Vice-president and  she had no answer and she snapped at Barbara, was this a pop quiz.  It was so disrespectful, you don't speak to your boss that way.  

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 6
18 minutes ago, wings707 said:

I found many altercations and down right fights Joy had with Elizabeth on youtube!  Firing both of them may have been a simple act of cooling the contentious energy.   <shrug>  

Yet, the motto of Bill Geddie was make sparks.  The fights between Rosie and Elizabeth were always more contentious, culminating with the split screen debacle..

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

Yet, the motto of Bill Geddie was make sparks.  The fights between Rosie and Elizabeth were always more contentious, culminating with the split screen debacle..

Okay, then I am at a total loss as to why they fired Joy!  :^)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Medicine Crow said:

hmmmm   I can see that. She didn't want to do something at odds with her sensibilities but would any of them?  They have all been strong women for the most

16 minutes ago, wings707 said:

hmmmm   I can see that. She didn't want to do something at odds with her sensibilities but would any of them?  They have all been strong women for the most

IIRC there was friction between Star and Geddie as well.  Meredith had been on television for years and always seemed very nonconfrontational so she probably just went along to get along. Lisa Ling was young and new to the business and we know Elisabeth was Geddie's pet.

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Bill did not like strong women, especially if they were liberals. Joy went out of her way to avoid fighting with Bitsy. There was an incident where Bitsy poked Joy badly on the air and behind the scenes Joy went off on her that led to her dissolving in tears. After that Bitsy was very cold with Joy. Rosie tried to engage with her as a friend on and off the air. It backfired on her. Rosie made her relevant, constantly,engaging with her in politics. Then, Fox news, got involved with their vicious attacks on Rosie.  Rosie was painted as the big, mean liberal,lesbian, picking on poor, beautiful,Conservative, Christian, Elizabeth for her views.

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 9

The behind the scenes at The View sounded fascinating the little bit Rosie mentioned.  She made it sound like there were kids from affairs hanging around there. Joy just made a gesture that her lips were sealed as she still works there. 

Liz Smith was a very good friend of BW's if I recall correctly. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

Bill did not like strong women, especially if they were liberals. Joy went out of her way to avoid fighting with Bitsy. There was an incident where Bitsy poked Joy badly on the air and behind the scenes Joy went off on her that led to her dissolving in tears. After that Bitsy was very cold with Joy.

I'd never heard that before. Joy was clearly wise to how the show worked with Geddie there--she wasn't going to fall into the trap that Rosie bulldozed right into. It's kind of amazing that Joy never got the Star treatment over all those years. I think a lot of it has to do with her and Barbara being close, and Barbara protected her. I don't think Joy would've made a dramatic exit like Star though.

I just hope she publishes a book at some point, because she is getting up in years. I like to think she already has it all written and just updates it with every new season, and it's published post-mortem if necessary, lol. I'd like to think she might leave the show and publish it before something like that were to happen, but you never know when you're going to go. I wouldn't have guessed Joan Rivers would've died when she did. I mean, she was old, yes, but she was still so lively on Fashion Police and didn't seem sick at all.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I'd never heard that before. Joy was clearly wise to how the show worked with Geddie there--she wasn't going to fall into the trap that Rosie bulldozed right into. It's kind of amazing that Joy never got the Star treatment over all those years. I think a lot of it has to do with her and Barbara being close, and Barbara protected her. I don't think Joy would've made a dramatic exit like Star though.

I just hope she publishes a book at some point, because she is getting up in years. I like to think she already has it all written and just updates it with every new season, and it's published post-mortem if necessary, lol. I'd like to think she might leave the show and publish it before something like that were to happen, but you never know when you're going to go. I wouldn't have guessed Joan Rivers would've died when she did. I mean, she was old, yes, but she was still so lively on Fashion Police and didn't seem sick at all.

I think it is because Joy is more pragmatic  and calmer than Rosie. Rosie is much more emotional and truly believed that Elizabeth was her friend and felt betrayed. Whereas, Joy knew that Elizabeth was not her friend.  They were just colleagues.  She only had to tolerate her during working hours. Rosie went out of her way to establish a friendship with her outside of working hours. 

• Love 7

I absolutely agree, @Apprentice79. We viewers tune into television programs with people we like to visit on a daily basis and often come to think of them as friends. However, those people aren't getting together to chat because they're pals. This is their job. And just like us, when the work day is over, they go home to their real lives. Sure, some co-workers get along better than others and sometimes real friendships are made but when people work together, they tolerate others' idiosyncrasies in order to get the job done and when someone leaves the job, it's not a given that they'll stay in touch.  

• Love 3
9 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I wouldn't have guessed Joan Rivers would've died when she did. I mean, she was old, yes, but she was still so lively on Fashion Police and didn't seem sick at all.

Joan went to a private clinic for minor throat surgery.  The procedure had complications and she went into cardiac arrest & died a week later.  There was all kinds of accusations about what happened & I think her daughter is in the middle of a lawsuit.  Just sayin'.

• Love 4

I think Barbara W was better friends with Cindy Adams than Liz Smith who died recently.

Liz Smith was a respected, old-school, bawdy gossip columnist who arrived in NYC from a small town in Texas in the early 1950’s ( maybe earlier)  with big dreams and really had a great life.  Up until just the past 2 or 3 years when  strokes really slowed her down she was still working.  She wrote a couple books which are good reads ( one has great recopies) if you are looking for something interesting to read - got them from my local library.  There are also a couple good long articles about her online.   While Barbara was a good friend of hers for years, Liz has publically stated that once she lost her column in a New York paper, Barbara kind of dropped her because she was less useful to her .. so for the past 15+ years they really didn’t buddy around and socialize as they used to at all.

Barbara  was good friends with NYC  “gossip”columnist, Cindy Adams and Judge Judy and used to talk a lot about traveling and socializing with them.  That doesn’t seem to happen anymore since Barbara retired and is supposedly very frail and not going out in public much anymore.

• Love 4