Type keyword(s) to search

S01: Week 1: July 9, 2019-July 12, 2019

• Start Topic

They aren’t all that bad.  Some of them seem reasonably nice and not quite as annoying as some on Bachelor in Paradise.  Plus they have a decent place to stay. Lol. But I am sure there is drama on the way.

• Love 5
42 minutes ago, Machiabelly said:

So...Paradise Hotel. Basically? 

But (and I do feel appropriately bad saying this) the cast here is way better looking, and look like actual adults.

Did Caro have pink eye?  I mean... LOL

• Love 7

I’ve never watched a show like this before. Watching them couple up was a little cringy because I feel like Alana was the only one who got who they wanted. Caro needs to stop leading Cash on. You already said that you didn’t like in a romantic way but, your trying so hard because you don’t want Kira to pick him. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, boobtube said:

Ok I’m willing to give this a watch. Very very popular in the UK. If the contestants keep acting so shallow I’ll tune out.

I think you can come to expect that they will be shallow, lol.  But honestly I was pleasantly surprised.  I found most of them somewhat decent and not horribly annoying for this type of show.  Usually they are already catty and aggressive from the beginning, and so far this group is pretty restrained.

• Love 5

I've never seen any of the other international Love Island shows so I'm basically coming in this with no knowledge of how this works or what will happen. But I did decide to give this a shot. It was fairly decent for a premiere. It did get me interested in watching the next episode. I mean, why not? It'll be fun to snark at.

• Love 8

This show seems to be nearly identical to Paradise Hotel, and the ratings were so bad for that one they had to cram episodes together and shut it down early.   I wonder if this will do better.

• Love 2

I'm not finished the first episode but the first thing that popped in my head was why 21 year olds? What 21 year old needs to find a forever relationship? Believe me I know it's all about the bodies but the 26 year olds were gorgeous too. 25 should be the minimum age.

• Love 3

I love the UK version (though this season seems to have regressed). We’ll see if it’s the format or British charm that’s appealing. For  those expecting depth or deep meaning, best move along. This is meant to be frivolous fun watching good-looking people hang out in bathing suits. Hopefully the contestants will friendly and nice to one another, as that used to be one of the best features of the British show. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
37 minutes ago, Suzysite said:

This show seems to be nearly identical to Paradise Hotel, and the ratings were so bad for that one they had to cram episodes together and shut it down early.   I wonder if this will do better.

I watched part of the premiere of Paradise Hotel, and was just immediately not interested.  Something about this one grabbed me a bit more--maybe the small amount of people, the fact that they were somewhat nice and open minded (for now), and didn't jump right into total party/hook up mode right away.  

• Love 2

That was pretty underwhelming, but everyone seems nice and the show has a sense of humor about itself, so I'll probably give it more of a chance. The fact that it's summer and there's nothing else on helps. I wish I could get paid for every time Kyra or Caro says "like."

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I like the supermarket cashier, I think he is a model; just didn't want to say so. Caro is obnoxious but will make good tv. Kyra is beautiful, and I like her style in how she is getting to know everybody. I think she'll pick Cowboy because pink bathing suit is kind of a dud. 

• Love 4

I'll give a another shot but the it's summer! there is nothing else on! stuff! doesn't fly with me anymore. There is always something on. There is always something to stream. Which is why network tv is dying. A bunch of stuff I don't need to watch. They are striving on shows that are events like the Voice or This is Us for drama but those are few and far in between. 

But vapid and shallow seems to be the name of the game. 

I did like the one girl (Aleksandra I think) when asked what her type was said she wants someone funny, then only stepped forward for the model with no personality or sense of humor. Lol. But, the first couplings are made on no information other than looks so it’s hard to be too judgmental about the first pairings. 

Kind of hope Kyra takes Weston just because we haven’t seen Mallory really do anything, yet. Surprised she isn’t getting to know Cashell, as he’s the only musician in the group. But maybe she really is waiting for the actual John Mayer? Tbh, knowing what we know about John Mayer, it’s actually a pretty big red flag when a girl says she wants to settle down but she’s super into John Mayer. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
8 hours ago, alexa said:

I think you can come to expect that they will be shallow, lol.  But honestly I was pleasantly surprised.  I found most of them somewhat decent and not horribly annoying for this type of show.  Usually they are already catty and aggressive from the beginning, and so far this group is pretty restrained.

That one guy said "I look for the booty, and I look for the beauty."  LOL.  Absolutely NOTHING about a person's character or personality.  That was hilarious.

7 hours ago, retired watcher said:

I'm not finished the first episode but the first thing that popped in my head was why 21 year olds? What 21 year old needs to find a forever relationship? Believe me I know it's all about the bodies but the 26 year olds were gorgeous too. 25 should be the minimum age.

I feel the exact same about The Bachelor/Bachelorette.  It's "Supposed" to be about finding your life partner.  The Bachelorette this season is 24, and definitely acts it.  So the fact that the show would even choose her as their lead shows that these shows are just really about looking at people's bodies in their "prime".

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, fishcakes said:

That was pretty underwhelming, but everyone seems nice and the show has a sense of humor about itself, so I'll probably give it more of a chance. 

The announcer on Paradise Hotel had a "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" British accent and he would outright make fun of the show and the contestants.  I found it kind of annoying at first but then the commentary here made me see the humour of it.  I guess this show kind of has a sense of humour but next to Paradise Hotel it's a bit muted for me.

It's a weird part of the premise that the guys were allowed to pick women who just WEREN'T interested in them.  I don't remember that being part of Paradise Hotel but correct me if I'm wrong.  Obviously this show isn't really about finding a life partner because it has all sorts of "rules" like that.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

I hated the way they dragged out the final minutes of the show.  They spent forever with her talking in circles about her decision.  Then they still didn't show us her choice.  Of course tonight we will get to watch the build-up all over again.  If you are going to make it a to be continued then maybe don't drag that part out.  It just irritated me.    

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

I'm still trying to get my head around a show that is on EVERY weekday... I'd be willing to believe that that is part of the reason for low viewing #s, it's that "I can't possibly watch a show every weekday and I'll miss stuff so yeah, forget it".

Paradise Hotel had move of a built-in nostalgia audience and even that had to be slashed and burned including axing a live portion and they were only trying for three days (iirc)! Five is just silly imo.

Anyhow, I was mildly entertained and nobody came off as a total jerk/bitch so it was better than I expected buy I have no knowledge of the original.

I thought it was bizarre that they had a literal 'lights out' time and a collective wake-up time.

Edited by Wandering Snark
  • Love 2
(edited)

I'm NOT feeling Cashel guys.  He's weird.  Sorry.  Maybe he's just nervous.  I'm just not feeling it.

I feel bad for Caro, with her pinkeye, and her meltdown.  That sucks.  But now she's going after Michael anyways ahahahahah.

I only now just realized there's a "funny" narrator on this show too.  Whoops.

Michael said it AGAIN:  "She's beautiful, she's got a beautiful face and a beautiful body, and that's generally what I go for."  hahahahahahaah oh my god.  Let me write that down.  Because that's really interesting!  Thanks Michael.......

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I think Zac is beautiful, but I didn't really care for that last scene the show showed of Zac and Elizabeth, which felt way too intimate and weird for audiences.  They're just a bunch of drunk kids laughing with each other.  I don't need to see it

I just realized tonight they all have the same bedroom. How awkward!  Lol. For some reason I find most of them okay.  They are still very nice for a reality dating show. But I agree that I am not feeling the Cashel guy either.  I think he would gross me out.  Something isn’t quite right.  

• Love 5

I love that the narrator is having fun with this ridiculous show.

Caro needs to calm the f down. You knew Cash for a day. It’s not like you have to stop trying to get to know him while he’s with Kyra. Now Caro is trying to rebound with all the guys. It looks desperate. 

I’m glad that some new people are coming in the villa. 

I don’t like that most of the guys are significantly older then the most of the girls. I want more of a variety of ages. 21 is way to young to be looking for “The One”

BTW I think that Cash looks like Tom Hiddleston and Michael looks like Tom Welling.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, alexa said:

I just realized tonight they all have the same bedroom. How awkward!  Lol. For some reason I find most of them okay.  They are still very nice for a reality dating show. But I agree that I am not feeling the Cashel guy either.  I think he would gross me out.  Something isn’t quite right.  

It's his nervous laughter about EVERYTHING

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, TroopinFairy said:

Caro needs to calm the f down. You knew Cash for a day. 

Plus she didn't want him until someone else did.  Not only did she not step forward for him, she also tried to be chosen by two other guys after he picked her.  I get wanting to stay on the show, but I'm not buying the "instant attraction" she was trying to sell.  It doesn't help that her nasal affectation is driving me up the wall.  It makes her seem like a caricature.

Michael seemed attractive last night, but tonight not so much.

• Love 10

Actually I think the whole Caro thing is a fascinating portrayal of human behaviour.

You don't want someone,

Then that person wants you,

So you try to make it work, then you become attached,

Then someone else wants that person and takes them.

I think for Caro the hardest thing is the rejection.  Some people think very highly of themselves (not that I blame them) and to see the person you were with with someone else is just way too hard to take.  Yes, this is the premise of the show, but she didn't know how it would actually feel.

The way it works is that Cashel would HAVE to pair up with Kyra, right?  He wouldn't have had a choice?  But I think the way he's acting so happy about it does not feel good for Caro at all.

1 hour ago, TroopinFairy said:

BTW I think that Cash looks like Tom Hiddleston and Michael looks like Tom Welling.

The new guy coming on, the douchier one who's like a club promoter in NYC, really really really looks like someone.  It's going to drive me insane.  Vanilla Ice?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

only now just realized there's a "funny" narrator on this show too.  Whoops.

Was there episode 1? I can’t bear to rewatch it but I don’t remember him. He sounds like the guy who does Wipeout. 

Good thing about this show is there aren’t too many of them so I’m not confused about who is who Like I am for weeks on bachelor/ette.

i think it’s fascinating how this generation talks and communicates. A lot of , too many,” likes “ but in between that there’s actually SOME emotional insights and self reflection. 

• Love 4
(edited)
30 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

The new guy coming on, the douchier one who's like a club promoter in NYC, really really really looks like someone.  It's going to drive me insane.  Vanilla Ice?

Hmm.. I didn't notice a shaved eyebrow... but he already appears to be a mega douche. "If I went to college I would have majored in women" (approx) is not a good look. I guess now they will try to bring in drama makers.

Speaking of women he's destined to be disappointed as we only have 'girls' on this show... and also I don't know if he'll get along with the other 'boys'. I think them using the term 'boys' is driving me even nuttier than the 'girls' thing. "What do you think of the new boys?" Ugh.

Full-on power makeout sesh there with Elizabeth and Zac huh, and I thought Hannah (Bachelorette) was bad straddling guys, but that made her attempts look tame.

And was it Zac that managed a new record 5 likes in 7 words in his TH tonight?

Still can't believe we have another two nights of watching this attractive but boring group of people sit around drinking. Cara is the only one with any spark.

Cashew has given me the second-hand cringes from his debut (and Caro trying to hook up with anyone BUT him during 'pairing') and yet he's Mr. Get Some Action Man. I think he looks/acts like a total doofus. Like calling him 'weird' would be to big a compliment. I don't get why two women girls actually fought over him.

Cheat sheet:

loveisland-fullcast-twitterv4-1562778234

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
(edited)
3 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

And was it Zac that managed a new record 5 likes in 7 words in his TH tonight?

Like honestly like I don’t know how much more like this and like that I can like take!!

i think Zac seems nice although I find it hard to understand why would he share that awful love her and leave her story with the whole world?

I want to watch this but I’m wondering how long I’ll stick with it. The second episode was pretty boring for me. Maybe it needs a little more tension.

i do like the announcer though!

Edited by boobtube
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

The way it works is that Cashel would HAVE to pair up with Kyra, right?  He wouldn't have had a choice?  But I think the way he's acting so happy about it does not feel good for Caro at all.

I believe so? Kind of like how the  other women didn't get a choice when the men picked them (for example...Caro when Cashel picked her). 

I found it a little karmatic that Caro had to watch Kyra pick Cashel. I mean, she is the one who didn't step forward for Cashel in the first place, then stepped forward on TWO different guys after being coupled with him. Not to mention the fact that we know Caro's not interested in Cashel at all, with how she talked about him to the other women and how quickly she seems set on moving on with basically any other guy (the only reason she doesn't seem to be pouncing on them is to try to honour some sort of girl code). 

I don't really like anyone in particular, but that's a good thing. That means I can happily snark on all of them equally and not care when one of them goes.

I thought, after Cashew stopped being an underdog and started being skeevy, that I could turn my attention to Zac (I seem to root for underdogs) but between his gross story about ditching a girl immediately after sex and saying "like" 15 times in 30 seconds, it's a hard pass on Zac. Seriously, I don't think I've heard someone use "like" that many times before. It just shows he has no other vocabulary so a hard pass.

Michael gives me weird vibes with how he describes women and their faces so no thanks. Yamen is probably the only guy I don't mind (Weston's been such a non-presence). As for the women, Caro is completely crazy and she'll be fun to watch. Kyra's not bad. Mallory, Alexandra, and Elizabeth are pretty forgettable.

I'm looking forward to the two new guys. 

• Love 6

Furthermore, Zac telling his partner (Elizabeth) that he had sex with the girl for "like two seconds" also does little to promote his prowess or stamina.  Surprised she didn't raise her eyebrows at that comment.

All the contestants are quite attractive, but it appears to me that Caro is getting a disproportionate share of attention from a number of the men.  I wonder what that could be - her lovely honey brown skin, lush curly hair, bright red conjunctiva. . .or could the fact that she is the only lady with huge oversized breasts that seem to be very prominently displayed at all times have anything to do with it?  I mean, sure, it's not exactly a polite thing for anyone there to comment on, but is it not going to get mentioned at all?  Granted, she is also appears to be the most aggressively and openly flirtatious of all the women, so there's that.  She also reminded me of someone famous.  When her hair was up and that huge mane was swept away from her face, I realized her facial features alone reminded me of Maya Rudolph.

Once Kyra revealed to Yamen that she swings both ways, am I the only one who had a glimmer of hope that there would be a "shocking" twist, where Kyra selected Caro (or another female) instead of Cashel?  I really wanted to see if they would go there.

Anyway I stayed with this show twice as long as I intended just to see if there were any interesting consequences from Kyra's choice.  I ended up being bored twice as long as I intended, so I won't be watching this any further.  Beyond having numerous scantily glad young attractive people mostly sitting around talking, I find it quite non-interesting from start to finish.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, sd dude said:

could the fact that she is the only lady with huge oversized breasts that seem to be very prominently displayed at all times have anything to do with it?

Yeah she is the only one that seems to be stretching her bikini top to the max... and we have stellar male representations like Mr. Booty & Beauty so it's definitely a factor.

But also imagine the show without her, as she seems to be almost the only spark to things happening... I did feel bad for her though going to sleep in the communal room with the smooching noises coming from Cashew's bed.

I too was wondering why the 'overshare' by Zac. I mean they others were slightly embarrassing/funny but Zac's was the only one to really reflect badly on him. His follow-up/defense made things no better.

Is there anything you could tell Ramen without him carrying on like he's going to pass out or something? Dude is KING of the over-reaction.

Last night was really boring, they get a pass on that for today. Still wondering if it (or any teevee show) is worth 5 nights a week devotion.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I believe so? Kind of like how the  other women didn't get a choice when the men picked them (for example...Caro when Cashel picked her). 

I found it a little karmatic that Caro had to watch Kyra pick Cashel. I mean, she is the one who didn't step forward for Cashel in the first place, then stepped forward on TWO different guys after being coupled with him. Not to mention the fact that we know Caro's not interested in Cashel at all, with how she talked about him to the other women and how quickly she seems set on moving on with basically any other guy (the only reason she doesn't seem to be pouncing on them is to try to honour some sort of girl code). 

I don't really like anyone in particular, but that's a good thing. That means I can happily snark on all of them equally and not care when one of them goes.

I thought, after Cashew stopped being an underdog and started being skeevy, that I could turn my attention to Zac (I seem to root for underdogs) but between his gross story about ditching a girl immediately after sex and saying "like" 15 times in 30 seconds, it's a hard pass on Zac. Seriously, I don't think I've heard someone use "like" that many times before. It just shows he has no other vocabulary so a hard pass.

Michael gives me weird vibes with how he describes women and their faces so no thanks. Yamen is probably the only guy I don't mind (Weston's been such a non-presence). As for the women, Caro is completely crazy and she'll be fun to watch. Kyra's not bad. Mallory, Alexandra, and Elizabeth are pretty forgettable.

I'm looking forward to the two new guys. 

Don’t try to make sense of it, this is a show to just sit back and enjoy the ride. Lol. Much better than other dating shows that are formulaic and the contestants figure out how to play the game. If this show is like the UK version then the rules will always be changing. 

Gotta love Elizabeth. “What does that tattoo mean? I hope it’s not just something stupid or I’ll have to rethink things. Lol”. Something stupid. “Oh, that’s cool”

”I’m going to confront him about sleeping with a girl and ditching her and if he can’t explain it then I’m going to have serious concerns going forward.” Zac says nothing to help explain it. “Oh ok. Wanna make out?” Haha. Zac could stab her parents in front of her and I don’t think she’d care. She just thinks he’s hot. For all the times people profess about “red flags” it’s amazing how little they stop themselves when they come across them. I’m not saying she should dump the guy, but it’s pretty clear she’s not looking too deep to find flaws. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6