Type keyword(s) to search

S01: Week 1: July 9, 2019-July 12, 2019

• Start Topic

Gawd help me, but this show is a train wreck I couldn't keep my eyes off of last night.  It isn't appointment television, by any means, and I despise The Bachelor/Bachelorette, and I will never, ever admit to anyone (other than all y'all, my fine invisible internet friends) that I watch/watched this show, but...holy crap, this is so bad I can't help but stare in fascination. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, Stan39 said:

Don’t try to make sense of it, this is a show to just sit back and enjoy the ride. Lol. Much better than other dating shows that are formulaic and the contestants figure out how to play the game. If this show is like the UK version then the rules will always be changing. 

Yes! I've been digging the fast pace and entertained by the silly games. Exactly what I need for my summer brain candy.

• Love 4
(edited)

Is Yamen

1) gay
2) just very closed off
3) just not interested in his woman (Alana?)

Alana is soooooooo beautiful.  And her body.  oh lord.  Even at my hottest, I never had a body like that.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

I hate Caro's baby voice, and yet I was so happy when Caro and Alexandra got their dates.  I'm so ashamed I care.

Elizabeth reminds me of Emilie de Ravin (Claire from "LOST").  They're both very pretty.

• Love 5
(edited)

The first episode where I’ve seen them eating. Also, Is there a quota for how many times per episode that they need to show the LI water bottle.

I like Alexandra and Dylan. 

I still feel like Caro is trying way to hard. It’s starting to get annoying to me.

These people need to start talking to the people that they’re coupled up with.  They all just go into girl/boy groups. START TALKING TO EACH OTHER! 

Edited by TroopinFairy
  • Love 7
11 minutes ago, TroopinFairy said:

The first episode where I’ve seen them eating. Also, Is there a quota for how many times per episode that they need to show the LI water bottle.

I like Alexandra and Dylan. 

I still feel like Caro is trying way to hard. It’s starting to get annoying to me.

These people need to start talking to the people that they’re coupled up with.  They all just go into girl/boy groups. START TALKING TO EACH OTHER! 

Mallory is going to be the worst kind of contestant. The one who sits back and does nothing waiting for John Mayer to actually come through the door for her, make no effort with anyone, then cry when she doesn’t “find someone”. 

And I wonder if they get coached on how to talk? I noticed on the U.K. version they always talk about “conversations” and they do that on this show, too. “Go have conversations with everyone” “I had a really good conversation with her” “I’m just going to get to know everyone and have conversations with everyone”. I guess the producers must be in their ears constantly trying to get them to engage with each other and it rubs off. I don’t think people normally talk like this when they’re getting to meet new people 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
59 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Is Yamen

1) gay
2) just very closed off

I’m not sure about that. I think part of it was that it was their first kiss, in public, and Alana took it up to 11. He’s my favorite among the men, though. 

On the other hand, while I was watching Alana introduce herself in the first episode, all I could think was, “I was never that young.”

20 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

How long is this show supposed to go?  The best part about it is the snark from the narrator.

Five weeks, five episodes per week. Ratings have not been good, but they haven’t dropped off from the first episode. 

I love the narrator. Have they used him on Big Brother, or Celebrity Big Brother? His delivery sounds familiar. 

After watching every single episode of Big Brother, it’s so weird to see people in a situation where they are in a competition and yet are getting along and seem to like each other. Where is the bullying and the casual sexism and racism? 

Why on earth are they showing those texts with white text on a sky blue background? The first few times I saw them, I didn’t notice the text and thought it was some weirdness with the closed captioning. 

Damn it, show, I just figured out who these guys are and you bring in two more. 

Alexandra is a favorite with everyone from what I can tell. 

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Kris117 said:

Five weeks, five episodes per week. Ratings have not been good, but they haven’t dropped off from the first episode. 

Good god, 25 episodes?  This is silly fun, but I don't think I can make it all the way to the end. 

• Love 4

How are these women in their twenties and some of them claim to have never had a real date before? And Alana’s never had a boyfriend? These women are GORGEOUS but then they use that advantage to date lame guys. Youth really is wasted on the young. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
29 minutes ago, Kris117 said:

After watching every single episode of Big Brother, it’s so weird to see people in a situation where they are in a competition and yet are getting along and seem to like each other. Where is the bullying and the casual sexism and racism? 

Great point, but I have to admit that I was a liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittle taken back with the Irish guy going up to Alana and immediately saying "You look like Destiny's Child."  Destiny's Child is a fucking group of 3 different looking women, you fucking moron.  And Alana even tried to let it pass like, Okay, which one?  And he honestly had NO IDEA WHAT SHE WAS TALKING ABOUT.

Every minority has been there.  Where some idiot tries to relate to you and the only thing they can think about is how you look like the only other person that they can think of from that race.   I admit, that was tame, and I am VERY sensitive but........

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Stan39 said:

How are these women in their twenties and some of them claim to have never had a real date before? And Alana’s never had a boyfriend? These women are GORGEOUS but then they use that advantage to date lame guys. Youth really is wasted on the young. 

Maybe it’s true they only interact online and never face to face IRL any more

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I hate Caro's baby voice, and yet I was so happy when Caro and Alexandra got their dates.  I'm so ashamed I care.

Elizabeth reminds me of Emilie de Ravin (Claire from "LOST").  They're both very pretty.

I really like Caro as she's keepin this thing moving for me, but I was totally going to mention she HAS to stop with the constant cartoony baby voice thing. It was like 85% of her date and you could see that at first he was like "Okay, quirky... I can dig it." but as the date went on he was thinking "okay... yeah... no..."

And Elizabeth does look like Claire! Thankyou, that was bothering me!

I'm down with Alexandra being a "normal" girl. She's not wearing giant fake eyelashes or trying to make her lips plumper. But I think her date was even a bit more of a "dude" than she had bargained for. He was having serious communication issues.

So, if "Amurica" votes and their choice don't spark enough drama the show will step in, huh? The girls not being able to say no to dates seems a little sketchy to me.

• Love 1

When do things start happening? I know that there was the “Kyra” thing and the “two new guys” thing but still. Where is Arielle? They’ve only played that one lame game together. All they’re doing is talking and it’s getting boring. Why does them talking have to on 5 nights a week?

• Love 4
17 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

Gawd help me, but this show is a train wreck I couldn't keep my eyes off of last night.  It isn't appointment television, by any means, and I despise The Bachelor/Bachelorette, and I will never, ever admit to anyone (other than all y'all, my fine invisible internet friends) that I watch/watched this show, but...holy crap, this is so bad I can't help but stare in fascination. 

SAME. It's deliciously terrible. It makes Floribama Shore look like an Emmy contender.

10 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

I really like Caro as she's keepin this thing moving for me, but I was totally going to mention she HAS to stop with the constant cartoony baby voice thing. It was like 85% of her date and you could see that at first he was like "Okay, quirky... I can dig it." but as the date went on he was thinking "okay... yeah... no..."

Caro is the trainwreckest one of them all. Bless her bananapants heart. 

• Love 4

God help me, but I love this show. It's so stupid.

14 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Is Yamen

1) gay
2) just very closed off

I think it's 3. From the beginning, he and Alana have seemed more like brother and sister than a couple, and I'm guessing he picked her to be polite since she was the one who stepped forward for him. Of everyone there, I like those two the most, but not with each other. Not really with anyone else either, though, since everyone else is either freaky and/or a dullard. But Alana is just too inexperienced to be on a show like this. She's never even had a boyfriend, so she shouldn't be trying to find "the one" on a TV show.

As for who hasn't figured out he's gay yet, however, I'm going with Cashel. Granted, my gaydar is the worst, but Cashel is trying way too hard to let everyone know he loves the ladies.

So now I'm going to be mean, but I think Alexandra is downright homely. The fivehead, the stringy hair, the giant teeth. I was cringing when she was on her date with Dylan (?) and he kept going on about her great smile and then camera would cut back to her flashing those blinding white horse veneers that she got at the discount dentist. She, uh, seems nice though.

I want Caro and Michael to have a conversation with each other where they both use their fake helium voices.

Zac looks a cross between John Krasinski and Boston Rob, except in that final scene where he was wearing the little hat and glasses and then he looked like Molly Ringwald in Pretty in Pink. I'm still trying to figure out the logistics of him ditching a girl in his bedroom to go see his ex. Didn't he say he lives with his mom and sisters? I'm picturing some poor girl in his room with the little dresser and the twin bed with the Lightning McQueen sheets.

• LOL 4
  • Love 7
35 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

Zac looks a cross between John Krasinski and Boston Rob, except in that final scene where he was wearing the little hat and glasses and then he looked like Molly Ringwald in Pretty in Pink.

I was thinking along the same lines but I instantly thought "How very Ducky of him..."

duckie-dale-costume-1.jpg

• Love 9
43 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

I think it's 3. From the beginning, he and Alana have seemed more like brother and sister than a couple, and I'm guessing he picked her to be polite since she was the one who stepped forward for him. Of everyone there, I like those two the most, but not with each other. Not really with anyone else either, though, since everyone else is either freaky and/or a dullard. But Alana is just too inexperienced to be on a show like this. She's never even had a boyfriend, so she shouldn't be trying to find "the one" on a TV show.

As for who hasn't figured out he's gay yet, however, I'm going with Cashel. Granted, my gaydar is the worst, but Cashel is trying way too hard to let everyone know he loves the ladies.

So now I'm going to be mean, but I think Alexandra is downright homely. The fivehead, the stringy hair, the giant teeth. I was cringing when she was on her date with Dylan (?) and he kept going on about her great smile and then camera would cut back to her flashing those blinding white horse veneers that she got at the discount dentist. She, uh, seems nice though.

I want Caro and Michael to have a conversation with each other where they both use their fake helium voices.

Zac looks a cross between John Krasinski and Boston Rob, except in that final scene where he was wearing the little hat and glasses and then he looked like Molly Ringwald in Pretty in Pink. I'm still trying to figure out the logistics of him ditching a girl in his bedroom to go see his ex. Didn't he say he lives with his mom and sisters? I'm picturing some poor girl in his room with the little dresser and the twin bed with the Lightning McQueen sheets.

Yes, you’re exactly right about the Zac situation. Maybe he lives with his mom now but didn’t at the time of the event? He mentioned it was a rough part of life. Maybe he was out on his own, lost his job or something, went through money and drugs or something, then moved back home to sort things out. 

My bigger questions, 1) if he left her at HIS place, how did he know when to return? When would she leave? 2) If he wasn’t vibing with her fine, but that still doesn’t explain why he had sex with his ex (he could have just gone to the movies or something). 

His story doesn’t add up, but it’s pretty clear Elizabeth doesn’t care. 

As for aleksandra and Dylan, I found their conversations rather dull and shallow, but then I thought about my conversations with strangers on first dates and they’re all pretty bad. You’re just searching for any topic you can both engage with. If Dylan and Alexandra just want to talk about drinking and working out that’s fine (though how does Alekdandra not know how long a marathon is???)

• Love 3
2 hours ago, fishcakes said:

Zac is still in college so he might have been talking about his dorm room. For someone with so much sexperience his kissing looked really awkward. He is way too immature for Elizabeth.

2 hours ago, Stan39 said:

Yes, you’re exactly right about the Zac situation. Maybe he lives with his mom now but didn’t at the time of the event? He mentioned it was a rough part of life. Maybe he was out on his own, lost his job or something, went through money and drugs or something, then moved back home to sort things out. 

My bigger questions, 1) if he left her at HIS place, how did he know when to return? When would she leave? 2) If he wasn’t vibing with her fine, but that still doesn’t explain why he had sex with his ex (he could have just gone to the movies or something). 

His story doesn’t add up, but it’s pretty clear Elizabeth doesn’t care. 

As for aleksandra and Dylan, I found their conversations rather dull and shallow, but then I thought about my conversations with strangers on first dates and they’re all pretty bad. You’re just searching for any topic you can both engage with. If Dylan and Alexandra just want to talk about drinking and working out that’s fine (though how does Alekdandra not know how long a marathon is???)

All I heard was like like like like... Even the narrator commented on Dylan's like speak.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
(edited)
On 7/10/2019 at 10:49 PM, Wandering Snark said:

...he [the Irish guy] already appears to be a mega douche. "If I went to college I would have majored in women"... I guess now they will try to bring in drama makers. [🍀]

Full-on power makeout sesh there with Elizabeth and Zac huh, ...was it Zac that managed a new record 5 likes in 7 words in his TH tonight?

Cheat sheet:

loveisland-fullcast-twitterv4-1562778234

I love this "cheat sheet" (tyvm!) --but now it's missing the La Cross coach and the Irish cad!

I wonder if, after their (enforced) two-time dating sessions, Coach and Cad will be told to choose their new 'partners'?

Who here thinks Caro will have to leave the island? She only had a day to find a new guy... and she's still 'single' so far. I'm pretty sure she's banking on the Irish Cad to 'save' her, but he's just playing the game.

If it's a guy who has to go (because there are now more boys than girls, unless their brand new twist is two new girls) --what guy will be kicked out? 

Caro thinks Michael is boring, but I think pretty much all the girls are bored by Weston... so there's that. 

By the way, I love the new commentator! (If only the show's participants were funny 😞

Edited by Crazy Bird Lady
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Great point, but I have to admit that I was a liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittle taken back with the Irish guy going up to Alana and immediately saying "You look like Destiny's Child."  Destiny's Child is a fucking group of 3 different looking women, you fucking moron.  And Alana even tried to let it pass like, Okay, which one?  And he honestly had NO IDEA WHAT SHE WAS TALKING ABOUT.

Yeah, you’re right, that was pretty bad. Not to mention, Beyoncé? I don’t think Alana looks anything like either of the Rowland sisters or Michelle Williams. I have to confess that I zone in and out while watching this show. Please don’t think less of me. 

It also occurred to me that we are seeing carefully edited footage and don’t have access to any feeds. Given what we know about the difference between what is aired on BB and what can be seen on the feeds, there could be offensive speech going on that we don’t know about. 

Cashel was my favorite of all the guys in the first episode but now I can’t decide what’s going on with him. 

• Love 1

I am still so shocked how nice everyone is on this show.  They really seem to get along, are fairly careful with the relationships, and aren’t as terrible as people usually are on these shows.  Weird.  Lol!

• Love 8
(edited)

I don't need to spoil anything about the Friday episode in case people are still catching up.

I just need to say that

1) I could barely follow ANYTHING.  Nothing happened!  I honestly think I'll have to watch again tomorrow.

2)  I hate hate hate hate hate hate how the show makes them say "The boy I choose is......"  Boy?  Boy?!  BOY!?!?  BOY?!?!?!?!?

These are MEN.  And those are WOMEN.

I'm way older than these people but god I HAAAATE to be referred to as a girl.  It's very infantilizing and insulting.

18+ you can say women/men.  Under that they are boys/girls.

Ugh!!!  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
(edited)

I like the references to the "boys" and the "girls." It gives an appropriate juvenile vibe to the very juvenile proceedings.

It also occurs to me that, while I don't watch the UK and Australia versions, in other contexts they're more relaxed in those countries about saying "boys" where we North Americans say "guys," so perhaps this has rubbed off. At least they're not calling each other "mates."

I agree with Crazy Bird Lady above about the narrator (Matthew Hoffman). He, or whoever is writing his lines, is the difference from this being just another dating show and a lighthearted snarkfest. "I'll summarize their conversation: Like, like, like, like, like, like.

Normally I have to come here for snark, but the show already does a good job on itself.

Add in the mostly pretty cast and the beautiful location that makes Big Brother following look like the tired old dump it is, and this is by far my favorite show of the summer. 

Edited by Shadow Wave
  • Love 3
(edited)

I'm sensitive to the boy / girl thing because of how things that happen in the news are portrayed by American news publications or social media.

When Jeffery Epstein was arrested, people noticed that publications or people were using the phrase "underage women".  There is no such thing as underage women.  They are referring to girls or children.  The distinction is important, it's legal, and it's biological.

There is also the case of white males 40 and above being excused for bad antics with a "boys will be boys" mentality.  No, those are men.  

Also, at work, as a professional woman over the age of 30, I hate being referred to as a girl, as in "Girls, please ---" or "Hey girls."  I think it's a micro-aggression that people use to debase women in the workplace.

So yes the distinction is important to me.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

There is no such thing as underage women.  They are referring to girls or children.  The distinction is important, it's legal, and it's biological.

There is also the case of white males 40 and above being excused for bad antics with a "boys will be boys" mentality.  No, those are men.  

Also, at work, as a professional woman over the age of 30, I hate being referred to as a girl, as in "Girls, please ---" or "Hey girls."  I think it's a micro-aggression that people use to debase women in the workplace.

You make a very good point. 

[On the other hand, considering the maturity level of these participants --and the maturity level of the show, itself-- I'm actually more inclined to call them "girls" and "boys" in this context.]

• Love 3

Why was everyone acting like Caro was responsible for sending Michael home? Alexandra is the one who ditched him. Caro probably loves the idea that she was in control though, so it doesn't matter. The guys all have their eyes on her because, well, her boobs, but also because she's a wild card who wants to stay in the game more than she wants a boyfriend so they figure they can use her to get further along themselves. Michael even said she should choose him so they could help each other stay until someone each of them likes came along. My guess is that once the new girl shows up on Monday, Caro is quickly going to find herself on the outs.

I was surprised that Mallory stuck with Weston since I don't remember seeing them having even one conversation. But the conversations we do see are so boring! "I wanted to like talk to you to see like where your head's at." "Yeah, yeah, I've like been wanting to talk to you too!" "So I'm like keeping my options open, like seeing where things go." "Yeah, yeah, I'm like the same." "I love how you're always yourself" "I feel like I can be myself because you are yourself." (Me at home: Oh my god, be someone else, both of you.) And then every talk ends with "Okay, good conversation!" unless Zac is involved and then it's "Good conversation until you farted."

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
(edited)

Michael, when he doesn't speak, seems VERY conventionally good-looking (shoutout to the poster who correctly identified him resembling Tom Welling - you people are doing a service, otherwise not figuring out this stuff drives me nuts) but I've mocked him here several times for his monologues about two things being important to him about a woman - beautiful face and beautiful body ORRRRRR the variation beauty in the face, beauty in the booty.  LOL.

So I feel so happy now that he's kicked off because everyone thinks he's a moron.  Caro said it straight up.  Hahahahahahaha

I don't like the Irish guy.  Vanilla Irish (he looks like the singer).  Vanilla Irish, Irish Baby

@fishcakes this shit is so obviously staged.  Could two people have picked the blonde guy (Dylan?)  If not, then why not?  They allow that on Paradise Hotel.  They staged the pickings of the guys from the person the most sure about her coupling to the person least sure (Caro).  It's like it was all planned beforehand.  So I'm not sure Mallory was "allowed" to or able to pick someone else, even though I think she made it clear she prefers Dylan over Weston.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
(edited)
14 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

2)  I hate hate hate hate hate hate how the show makes them say "The boy I choose is......"  Boy?  Boy?!  BOY!?!?  BOY?!?!?!?!?

These are MEN.  And those are WOMEN.

As I've mentioned as well, this drives me N-V-T-S nuts.

As does the proliferation on the work "like". The best was that Zac in his first TH Friday said and I quote:

"I know where Elizabeth's head is at and umm I'm not worried in that fact but I think it's like to the point now like where like I like Elizabeth sooo another guy like taking her on a date kinda like I dunno know gives me kind of like that pity stomach feeling, just doesn't feel too good."

Sooo Zac? I'm pretty like sure that like you meant you had kind like a "PIT in your stomach" as I've never heard of a 'pity stomach'. I love the use of "like, I like" and also 'kinda like' just to mix it up... but then later on Alexandra's "No, okay wait, yeah, no, I was like" and throwing in a 'literally' may still be the front runner for the "Like Totally Like Literal Overuse of 'Like' Like Award".

ETA: Yes, the 're-coupling' was staged so it would come down to Caro having to finally choose, but since she was the "single" girl it makes sense to have her go last so I don't see anything too hinky about it?

Edited by Wandering Snark
  • Love 3

In addition to the like like like like like annoyance, dent faced Mallory got on my nerves constantly saying "yah" when she was talking to Dylan.

I can see watching this one or two days a week because it's summer fun, but no way can I take this five days a week for five friggin' weeks.

• Love 1

My theory with why the girls are into Cashel is that they’re so used to getting hit on that they’ve met every “guy” and heard everything before. So, when someone comes along who is new or different they mistake curiosity and surprising as attraction. That’s all I can come up with because dude seems creepy AF

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Wandering Snark said:

Sooo Zac? I'm pretty like sure that like you meant you had kind like a "PIT in your stomach" as I've never heard of a 'pity stomach'.

LOL. I missed that, but the one that made me roll my eyes was when one of the blondes (Mallory, I think, but it might have been Elizabeth) said, "we'll come to that bridge when we cross it."

I enjoy how derpy everyone looks when they're slow-motion running. Even Hasselhoff managed to make it work, but all these guys are like

tenor.gif

• LOL 5
(edited)

ETA: Yes, the 're-coupling' was staged so it would come down to Caro having to finally choose, but since she was the "single" girl it makes sense to have her go last so I don't see anything too hinky about it?

1.  What if a woman wanted to pick a man that was already chosen?

2.  What if Mallory didn't want to stick with Weston?

3.  What if Yamen didn't want to stick with Alana?

4.  What if Cara ALSO wanted to choose Yamen?

Is there ANY choice in the matter?  It was all staged.  It's more fake than a lot of reality TV I've seen, and I've seen a lot.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Stan39 said:

My theory with why the girls are into Cashel is that they’re so used to getting hit on that they’ve met every “guy” and heard everything before. So, when someone comes along who is new or different they mistake curiosity and surprising as attraction. That’s all I can come up with because dude seems creepy AF

None of the women were into Cashel at first though.  He was the most rejected, wasn't he?  He was the one who picked Caro, THEN Kyra was the one who picked him.  Those are the only 2 women who have expressed attraction.  I think Caro has a very bad reaction to being "left" and I think Kyra's just attracted to him for some reason.  Maybe the reason you're saying.  I think a lot of women tend to like a man who's already "taken" so suddenly Cashel seemed like a prize when 5 minutes ago he wasn't.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I don't like the Irish guy.  Vanilla Irish (he looks like the singer).  Vanilla Irish, Irish Baby

I don't like him either, but it's about 75% because of the hair. Anyone with a Richard Spencer haircut is automatically on my sideeye list.

2 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

1.  What if a woman wanted to pick a man that was already chosen?

2.  What if Mallory didn't want to stick with Weston?

3.  What if Yamen didn't want to stick with Alana?

4.  What if Cara ALSO wanted to choose Yamen?

Is there ANY choice in the matter?

Theoretically, it looks like it shifts between the men choosing and then the women choosing, depending on who's outnumbered, but since it does all look pretty staged, I think probably no.

Also, I meant to ask if those skinny leg capris are now a thing that young guys wear? I would have kept Weston just for being the only one with the good sense not to wear those things.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Shadow Wave said:

Add in the mostly pretty cast and the beautiful location that makes Big Brother following look like the tired old dump it is, and this is by far my favorite show of the summer. 

Why is it filmed in Fiji, though? I haven't seen the show use the island as part of the show. They could have easily filmed in Miami, San Diego, etc..

7 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I'm sensitive to the boy / girl thing because of how things that happen in the news are portrayed by American news publications or social media.

When Jeffery Epstein was arrested, people noticed that publications or people were using the phrase "underage women".  There is no such thing as underage women.  They are referring to girls or children.  The distinction is important, it's legal, and it's biological.

Just curious? Does it bother you in any setting? I ask because I am guilty of doing this. I will walk into the breakroom and say, "Hey, girls!" (They are my equal in the workplace, as opposed to superiors.)

I will also text my friends, "Hey, girlies, who wants to...."

It just seems so formal to replace the word with ladies. And it seems really, really odd to say women.

Just wondering.

(edited)

I was going to start a drinking game where you take a drink every time someone says “Like.” I quickly realized though that I would be completely drunk within the first 3 minutes of the show. I’m going to change the word to “Vibe(s).”

I’m starting to worry about the Islanders health. We’ve only seen one episode where the islanders are eating anything. 

I’m not surprised that Michael was the first to go. He seemed like the type of guy that’s used to coasting off of his looks. 

I don’t like that this is turning into the “Caro” show. She’s starting to get annoying. I’m not seeing what the big deal is.

Yay To new islanders. But, CBS really needs to up this show because 4 nights of everyone just talking is not doing it for me. Go on more dates, play more of those lame games. 

I would stop watching but, I feel like I’m in this now.

Edited by TroopinFairy
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, fishcakes said:

Also, I meant to ask if those skinny leg capris are now a thing that young guys wear?

I also noticed that at least the final three guys weren't wearing socks...

1 hour ago, fishcakes said:

the one that made me roll my eyes was when one of the blondes (Mallory, I think, but it might have been Elizabeth) said, "we'll come to that bridge when we cross it."

Actually I think it was Alexandra talking to Mallory about heir shared budding attraction for Dylan. It was also hilarious. She is anything BUT 'well spoken'. Her head seems to get ahead of her mouth...

As for the "re-coupling" I'm not defending this or any reality show for producer shenanigans just felt in this case they knew where the chips were going to fall and that's why the only "open" choice was going to be Caro so they of course put her (the only 'single') last. She was even told by the girls that she was goign to be the one that chose who goes home. So it seemed a pretty much settled issued except for who Caro would choose.

• Love 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, fishcakes said:

I was surprised that Mallory stuck with Weston since I don't remember seeing them having even one conversation. But the conversations we do see are so boring!

As I was watching the “date” conversation, it dawned on me that these are the highlights, folks, and then I felt very sad for the people in production who have to listen and edit these scintillating conversations. I always feel sorry for the BB crew who do that job, but at least they have some meat to work with. They also have the live feed watchers to help. If something on the feeds really blows up in social media, the production crew knows to avoid it. 🙄 

I don’t want to come down on the cast too hard, because I think that a first date with free flowing, interesting conversation is rare. But being forced* to watch a couple of them isn’t riveting TV. 

*And by “forced” I mean, “I’ve watched every episode so far so now I have to continue.” 🤓

On 7/11/2019 at 8:31 PM, Stan39 said:

I have read that the generation of youngest adults are more cautious and less likely to do casual hookups than the generations above them. Or, they’re going out in groups, hooking up with randoms, but not dating. 

8 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I am 63 and I have hated it since I was a baby feminist of 18. I never describe adults as “boy” or “girl” unless I’m being deliberately ironic. I know that it’s considered okay among some social groups, but not mine. So I might come across as stiff or formal but I won’t inadvertently insult someone. 

3 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

Quick 'cheatsheet' update.

Thank you for that, Wandering Snark. I was watching last night and not only had a “There’s a Weston?” moment, but realized I had Elizabeth and Alexandra mixed up. 

1 hour ago, Blissfool said:

Why is it filmed in Fiji, though? I haven't seen the show use the island as part of the show. They could have easily filmed in Miami, San Diego, etc..

There’s speculation that they are using some of the Survivor production equipment, but I haven’t seen anything to confirm that. But, like, that is so true. Like, they could have like filmed this in any generic tropical resort across the globe. Like, why?

Edited by Kris117
  • Love 2

As for the "re-coupling" I'm not defending this or any reality show for producer shenanigans just felt in this case they knew where the chips were going to fall and that's why the only "open" choice was going to be Caro so they of course put her (the only 'single') last. She was even told by the girls that she was goign to be the one that chose who goes home. So it seemed a pretty much settled issued except for who Caro would choose.

Sort of like Survivor when Jeff goes to 'tally the votes', which really equals 'arranging the votes into the most dramatic order'.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Serious question:  What is the point of this show?  I mean, how does one 'win' it?  When they had the Commando Competition this week, I thought we were finally getting somewhere, moving towards some goal.  But then, the competition was meaningless.  Did anyone gain any game advantage from it?  Michael, the winner of the competition, ended up going home.  I'm confused.

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, Kris117 said:

I am 63 and I have hated it since I was a baby feminist of 18. I never describe adults as “boy” or “girl” unless I’m being deliberately ironic. I know that it’s considered okay among some social groups, but not mine. So I might come across as stiff or formal but I won’t inadvertently insult someone. 

Yeah, this is me.  It just feels way too icky now.  I can never go back.

@Blissfool, yeah, I admit, my female friends texting me "Hey girl" is never really going to bother me.  But in the workplace, it definitely gets my back up. I don't want my female superior to ever refer to us as "Girls" and I don't want any of my male equals to either.  It reaaaaaaally is not appropriate.

11 minutes ago, sphoebus31 said:

Serious question:  What is the point of this show?  I mean, how does one 'win' it?  When they had the Commando Competition this week, I thought we were finally getting somewhere, moving towards some goal.  But then, the competition was meaningless.  Did anyone gain any game advantage from it?  Michael, the winner of the competition, ended up going home.  I'm confused.

Hahahahaaha.  You're bending my mind into a pretzel!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, sphoebus31 said:

The competitions are meaningless, except that sometimes they’re geared toward exposing the couples. That was the point of the luggage challenge, to expose some secrets. Eventually the winning couple is selected at the end by the fans (I guess on the app). 

• Love 1