Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E06: Command: Delete

(edited)

Tech billionaire Odin Reichenbach presents Holmes and Watson with an extraordinary offer to help him with a program that can predict future crimes.  Holmes and Watson assist Bell when he tries to prevent a future crime of his own as he races to locate a fellow NYPD officer planning a sniper shooting.

Promo:

Original air date: 6/27/19

Edited by Athena
Corrected episode date
  • Love 2

Odin watched Minority Report too many times..... Whatever happened to the Not!Uber/Lyft billionaire from a few seasons ago? If he could predict future taxi calls, then he could modify the app to predict crime...

• Love 3

Oh, McNally!  I should have known he would be aligned with Reichenbach.  He's always been a shifty ally for Sherlock.  I do think/hope he'll regret basically threatening Joan (and Bell and Gregson) to Sherlock's face.  Underneath all of his, well, Sherlockness, Sherlock will do anything to protect those he cares for.  Which includes currently lying to Joan about what really happened, which I'm sure will be a mistake.

It definitely feels like Reichenbach is basically trying to be Finch from Person of Interest, but the big differences are that the POI team usually waited to catch the perpetrators in the act and be sure, and did their best to not kill them if they could avoid it (all those gunshots to the kneecaps!)  But old Odin and his lot are all about the killing and going after potential perps simply because of threats on internet posts.  Hey, I can totally understand the fantasy of bringing down internet trolls, but if you're going to go after every person who has done something offensive or made threats on the internet, you'd probably wipe out 75% of all internet users (obviously no one on this fine forum and website!)

Case of the week was all over the place, and I figured it was going to be the nurse or whoever she was, because she just stood out as someone who was going to be more than just a back-up player.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Case of the week was all over the place, and I figured it was going to be the nurse or whoever she was, because she just stood out as someone who was going to be more than just a back-up player.

Is the genetic anomaly case a two parter too? It didn't seem completely resolved. What about the uncles? And didn't the pregnant woman insist Baron was not the baby's father? Maybe she's just a pawn, and the fertility treatments included impregnating her with Baron's sperm or even an ovum from an egg donor fertilized with Baron's sperm? Or did I just miss something?

• Love 1
(edited)

Well, this was a bit allover the place. Case of the week did the usual trick of 'this plot is not about either of the red herrings we presented during the first two thirds of this episode'. And yes, the nurse stood out and it was clear from the get go that she must be involved. 

Even Joan's outfits were not in the game.

As for Reichenbach: Even last week I was confused about Sherlock going to the NSA when he has a better (and in this case definitely more trustworthy) ally at hand in Everyone. The NSA - as presented in tv shows, I don't want to speculate on the real thing - would be over the moon to get their hands on Reichenbach's algorithm. For a cynic like Sherlock applying to them for help was uncharacteristically naive. 

That said I enjoy Frain as the big bad wolf and it will be interesting to see how this plays out. I'm sure Everyone will come into play sooner or later.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 5
(edited)

Unfortunately for McNally and Reichenbach, they've forgotten about two other people who are  close to Sherlock.  Morland Holmes and Jaime Moriarty.  Morland is also a powerful billionaire with contacts for mercenaries, etc who runs Moriarty's murder organization.  And Moriarty still has plenty of influence on her organization.  Figure both would be pleased to help rescue Sherlock and those he loves by killing the shit out of whoever is threatening them.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 18

The case-of-the-week this time was kind of ridiculous.  I can buy into the idea that practically anyone could talk themselves into murdering someone and rationalizing it in some way.  However, a lot of these cases involve these elaborate, convoluted plots that involve the cold-blooded murder of several complete strangers in order to achieve a questionable and highly unlikely goal.  This show has turned to these type of plots more and more over time.  Last week and this week had the same problem - I didn't buy either of them as believable in any way.

I enjoyed Person of Interest for a few seasons, but it kind of ran out of gas for me, once the governmental conspiracies started kicking in.  Redoing that show here, but from a sinister aspect, is kind of interesting.  However, we've only got , what, 7 episodes left?  Maybe that's not the best time to start some massive over-arching story arc.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Is the genetic anomaly case a two parter too? It didn't seem completely resolved. What about the uncles? And didn't the pregnant woman insist Baron was not the baby's father? Maybe she's just a pawn, and the fertility treatments included impregnating her with Baron's sperm or even an ovum from an egg donor fertilized with Baron's sperm? Or did I just miss something?

I believe that plot is done.  The nurse denied that Baron was the baby's father but then Bell produced a court order to check the baby's dna.  That took the wind out of her sails and clinched that she was the murderer. I think she got pregnant the old-fashioned way, no sperm or ovum implant.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
30 minutes ago, Gregg247 said:

The case-of-the-week this time was kind of ridiculous.

Kind of? ;-)

More and more I'm glad I watch because I like spending time with the characters and not because I care about the plots.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I hate in shows when someone lies to protect someone in danger. Not telling them they are in danger actually PUTS THEM IN DANGER.

This,

5 hours ago, MissLucas said:

As for Reichenbach: Even last week I was confused about Sherlock going to the NSA when he has a better (and in this case definitely more trustworthy) ally at hand in Everyone. The NSA - as presented in tv shows, I don't want to speculate on the real thing - would be over the moon to get their hands on Reichenbach's algorithm. For a cynic like Sherlock applying to them for help was uncharacteristically naive. 

this,

2 hours ago, johntfs said:

Unfortunately for McNally and Reichenbach, they've forgotten about two other people who are  close to Sherlock.  Morland Holmes and Jaime Moriarty.  Morland is also a powerful billionaire with contacts for mercanies, etc who runs Moriarty's murder organization.  And Moriarty still has plenty of influence on her organization.  Figure both would be pleased to help rescue Sherlock and those he loves by killing the shit out of whoever is threatening them.

and this.

One would think Sherlock would remember the mistakes of the past, or is he just that arrogant to believe he can handle it all himself, again.  I really hate this trope of keeping things from someone to "protect them". I really want Joan to call Sherlock on his behavior in the next episode and they work together, but I am not holding out any hope for that.

• Love 4

I don't think Sherlock lied to Joan. I think his tone hinted that they had discussed that potential outcome -- and I think her face showed she understood what he was saying. She didn't look resigned or try to placate him; she looked worried and disgusted.

I hope Morland and/or Moriarty show up again, but I'm not holding my breath. I am, however, looking forward to find out out how Sherlock ensures everyone gets their due comeuppance! This is more tightly plotted than I gave it credit for a couple of weeks ago. Good on 'em.

• Love 5

Well that was a ridiculously convoluted case! We went from possible suicide/sniper to bondage videos to possible steroids in boxing to rare illnesses and doctors harvesting from their patients to coffee farming to about forty other things all to find out that, shocker, the random background character was the killer! I did enjoy Joan and Bell taking down the pregnant nurse, with their "oh please" look to at each other when she was saying how Barron wasnt her baby daddy and "its the 21st century pregnant woman can do anything they want." 

I ended up feeling really bad for the dead boxer guy. Unfairly suspected of using steroids, parents dead, people he trusted like his doctor and girlfriend were creepily using him for his DNA, doctor wanted to knock him out to steal his tissue, so scared of attacks that he hires guards, then is murdered by his baby mamma over something he had no clue was even a thing. This show really makes me never want to see New York, its filled to the brim with creeps and murderers who will kill anyone who even mildly inconveniences their convoluted murder schemes!

So the ridiculously named Odin Reichenbach and his cabal want to just run around killing people based on internet posts? Because if you kill anyone who says some crap online or just looks weird stuff up, that is a whole hell of a lot of people! So he is basically evil Harold Finch who just really likes to kill people instead of easier things like tipping off the cops or trying to catch them in the act before hand and get arrested? Even Reese tried to keep his body count down if he could, and that guy loved to beat up bad guys! No kneecap was safe! Also, this sure does have a lot of variables if your just basing on certain things without greater context. Maybe like the bus driver they were having a bad day and venting or having some kind of serious mental health issue where if they got treatment, they would be fine? Or they were looking up how to kill people or whatever for a novel they were writing or to get more info on some true crime podcast they like? 

These guys dont know who they're messing with threatening Sherlock and his friends. Not only is the man himself not to be trifled with, neither are the rest of his people, let alone if Moreland or Moriarty hear about this asshole threatening him. They're the only people that can dick Sherlock around with their massive international criminal conspiracies, thank you very much!

• Love 9
(edited)

I must be what is considered a "casual fan" of this show. I've watched every single episode but had no recollection of McNally whatsoever. Looking him up on the Elementary Wiki didn't even jog my memory. So I guess I tend to watch these episodes and then forget about them.

Is the genetic anomaly case a two parter too? It didn't seem completely resolved. What about the uncles?

The doctor had already discovered that Barron was the last of his line. I think it got confusing when the pictures came into it and we learned there was another heir. It turned out to be Barron's baby rather than some other descendant. 

Dare I say that James Frain is playing a rather cartoonish character here? I generally expect Elementary to be above that sort of thing despite its many convoluted twists and turns.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 1

Wasn't there some kind of agreement with Sherlock's father or Moriarty (I don't recall) that would ensure Joan stays alive? As in, no harm would befall her from their organization and if something were to happen to her, Sherlock would look to them first and so it was basically agreed upon that they'd keep her safe? Or did I imagine that part?

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Efzee said:

Wasn't there some kind of agreement with Sherlock's father or Moriarty (I don't recall) that would ensure Joan stays alive? As in, no harm would befall her from their organization and if something were to happen to her, Sherlock would look to them first and so it was basically agreed upon that they'd keep her safe? Or did I imagine that part?

I believe there was an agreement like that but it was for Moreland's safety, not Joan's.  I could be wrong.

I’m here for Elementary taking on Person of Interest, but I’m usually buying anything James Frain is selling*. He and Jonny Lee Miller are playing well off each other.

I’m pretty sure Sherlock was clueing Joan in with his extremely deliberate enunciation. More deliberate than usual, even.

(*Except him playing an American in S2 of True Detective. Whyyy would you waste James Frain on that? Why?)

• Love 3
2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I was wondering if Sherlock wasn't saying more to Joan because he thought the NSA might be listening. It wouldn't be wrong to think that.

That was my thought too — something in the exchanged looks. But also that Joan would not question further because they have established that the ball is in her court if she wants to verify.

2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I did enjoy Joan . . . "its the 21st century pregnant woman can do anything they want." 

Loved that come back — even though the perp was using a possible physical limitation as an excuse while Joan was implying (IMO) that not being physically up to a task doesn't mean one doesn't have the power to make it happen.

2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

ended up feeling really bad for the dead boxer guy. Unfairly suspected of using steroids, parents dead, people he trusted like his doctor and girlfriend were creepily using him for his DNA, doctor wanted to knock him out to steal his tissue, so scared of attacks that he hires guards, then is murdered by his baby mamma over something he had no clue was even a thing. 

Good point about the ill-fated boxer, @tennisgurl! That totally went by me. And I will count it as this week's not-likely-in-real-life plot point(s).

• Love 3

I do hope that Sherlock's lie to Joan was for the benefit of the NSA and not a real deception.  They are way past that in this relationship.

I liked McNally as an irregular, and am sad he's in the enemy camp.  It makes sense for him to be the person to sign on to the spying, but signing on to murders is surprising.  I did like McNally's doubtful expression while Reichenbach was monologuing about his ability to handle Sherlock Holmes.

Given the level of information and data access they have, they could catch these people in the act and send them to prison, or expose them in another way.  Not to mention that one of their proxies knew how to contact them to pass on the concern about Joan.  Bringing others that far into this secret is a good way to get caught.

A nitpick, but driving nails through a whole device is not the best approach to make a drive unreadable.  Hopefully he took the batteries out first.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Efzee said:

Ministry had instructed her operatives that no harm should come to Sherlock.  After meeting Joan, she extended that order to cover Joan.  I'm the episode "The Female of the Species", she goes so far as to kill Elena March in prison for attempting to kill Joan.

6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I must be what is considered a "casual fan" of this show. I've watched every single episode but had no recollection of McNally whatsoever. Looking him up on the Elementary Wiki didn't even jog my memory. So I guess I tend to watch these episodes and then forget about them.

The doctor had already discovered that Barron was the last of his line. I think it got confusing when the pictures came into it and we learned there was another heir. It turned out to be Barron's baby rather than some other descendant. 

Dare I say that James Frain is playing a rather cartoonish character here? I generally expect Elementary to be above that sort of thing despite its many convoluted twists 

McNally is played by Tim Guinee, who for the most part played character s who when you saw him, you knew he was the guilty party.  It is funny in a way to see him teamed up now with James Frain who seems to have a similar villain reputation.

7 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I was wondering if Sherlock wasn't saying more to Joan because he thought the NSA might be listening. It wouldn't be wrong to think that.

They have had that scenario, I think in the episode "All In", where Sherlock wrote a warning on some paper and turned up the music to be able to whisper to one another.  The way this scene ended it did not look to me that Sherlock was hinting to Joan that something was up nor that she was reading his facial expressions.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, MisterGlass said:

A nitpick, but driving nails through a whole device is not the best approach to make a drive unreadable.  Hopefully he took the batteries out first.

This reminded me of when my brother-in-law took a sledgehammer to my parent old computer tower that he had replaced about 15 years ago. A student employed in the college IT department demonstrated to me how easy it was to just break the disc drive, but I don't think that works for an ipad, and, anyway, isn't all the data in the cloud now?

11 hours ago, elle said:
11 hours ago, elle said:

McNally is played by Tim Guinee, who for the most part played character s who when you saw him, you knew he was the guilty party. 

I couldn't remember him either, just that the actor is one of those H!ITG!s. Funnily, IMDb shows his next role as the lead in "I'm Not a Bad Person," heh.

12 hours ago, MisterGlass said:

It could have been worse. Often people are shown only destroying the monitor.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
(edited)

I didn't remember McNally, either. And I thought I was really paying attention. I often remember the one-off "irregulars".  I thought we were going to get the female agent who thought they were murderers themselves. When McNally turned out to be a man, I was totally surprised.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 3

Here is McNally's page at the Elementary wiki site.  You may remember him if you are what episodes he was in.

I wonder if McNally could have been warning Sherlock rather than threatening him.  While the NSA may like having Odin getting the information to stop attacks they may want to have control over it.  They could be using Sherlock to get rid of Odin.  It may be wishful thinking on my part because I like the idea of Tim Guinee as a semi good guy.

• Love 3

I don't remember McNally either and after reading his wiki, I still don't really remember him.  The actor is very ordinary looking, but maybe that was why he was cast.  The NSA has eyes and ears everywhere and they just blend in.  

• Love 1
20 hours ago, elle said:

McNally is played by Tim Guinee, who for the most part played character s who when you saw him, you knew he was the guilty party.  It is funny in a way to see him teamed up now with James Frain who seems to have a similar villain reputation.

Ha, you're right, they make a logical villain team.  I have seen both of them play gray characters, if not exactly good guys.

I used to mix up Nathan Fillion and Tim Guinee.

9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

A student employed in the college IT department demonstrated to me how easy it was to just break the disc drive, but I don't think that works for an ipad

It's more difficult to access the workings.  This is an older article, but it shows a dismantled iPad.

• Useful 1
(edited)
On 6/28/2019 at 12:01 PM, shapeshifter said:

The uncles died in an earthquake and the nurse got knocked up by Baron the old fashioned way. She lied when she said the baby wasn't his.

On 6/28/2019 at 9:25 PM, tennisgurl said:

I ended up feeling really bad for the dead boxer guy. Unfairly suspected of using steroids, parents dead, people he trusted like his doctor and girlfriend were creepily using him for his DNA, doctor wanted to knock him out to steal his tissue, so scared of attacks that he hires guards, then is murdered by his baby mamma over something he had no clue was even a thing. This show really makes me never want to see New York, its filled to the brim with creeps and murderers who will kill anyone who even mildly inconveniences their convoluted murder schemes!

It also seems a bit greedy to risk killing him.

If he she had just told the guatemalan government that he was the rightful heir to that fortune, the amount of child support she could have gotten.

Also from what I gathered, he was actually in love with her? Marry him, divorce like a year later, make even more bank.

Edited by Miles
  • Love 3
On 6/30/2019 at 10:45 PM, Miles said:

The uncles died in an earthquake and the nurse got knocked up by Baron the old fashioned way. She lied when she said the baby wasn't his.

It also seems a bit greedy to risk killing him.

If he she had just told the guatemalan government that he was the rightful heir to that fortune, the amount of child support she could have gotten.

Also from what I gathered, he was actually in love with her? Marry him, divorce like a year later, make even more bank.

Apparently she didn’t want to settle for just the child support portion or alimony portion. She wanted the maximum inheritance amount, and the only way to get it was if the inheritance went directly to her child instead of first to Baron.

That plot makes less sense the longer you think about it. So there's a grove full of coffee bean trees, but they have not been harvested since 2016 and although I'm not a coffee farmer I don't think groves that have not been attended to for several years are thriving. And since the family died in an earthquake you can assume that the farm and equipment were damaged too. To get this back on track she either had to first invest a lot of money (she did not have) or sell it probably under market-value. There's a good chance that in the long run keeping baby Daddy alive and have him deal with the mess would have been more profitable.

• Love 7
42 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

That plot makes less sense the longer you think about it. So there's a grove full of coffee bean trees, but they have not been harvested since 2016 and although I'm not a coffee farmer I don't think groves that have not been attended to for several years are thriving. And since the family died in an earthquake you can assume that the farm and equipment were damaged too. To get this back on track she either had to first invest a lot of money (she did not have) or sell it probably under market-value. There's a good chance that in the long run keeping baby Daddy alive and have him deal with the mess would have been more profitable.

Yes, but criminals who are ultimately caught are just not that smart, and Elementary writers seem to include as many incongruities as they can.

• Love 1

I'm glad SHerlock and Joan were smart enough not to even waste time discussing Everyone, since they are an online/internet community, and Odin basically owns the internet, so anything they did he would instantly know about.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

I'm glad SHerlock and Joan were smart enough not to even waste time discussing Everyone, since they are an online/internet community, and Odin basically owns the internet, so anything they did he would instantly know about.

I hope Odin is not that much of a super villain; that super villain trope bugs me.

Apropos of nothing, this week I heard an NPR reporter with a British accent whose name is Ruth Sherlock.

• Love 1