Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

30 minutes ago, Hedgehog2022 said:

And her family house was not a Victorian...it had some architectural features that mimicked the Victorian look but it was essentially a large Colonial/"farmhouse" style house. 

Yes!! HGTV needs to run an architecture and design 101 class. It is badly needed. 

• Like 1
  • Love 13
36 minutes ago, Hedgehog2022 said:

I'm so tired of hearing people on these shows say they want the same kind of house they grew up in. Grow up already!

And saying, "I want what I want" because, like "It is what it is," it conveys so much.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
22 minutes ago, Grrarrggh said:

Yes!! HGTV needs to run an architecture and design 101 class. It is badly needed. 

And include how to determine which walls are loadbearing before buying a house that will need lots of expensive beams to remove the walls you hate.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, deirdra said:

And include how to determine which walls are loadbearing before buying a house that will need lots of expensive beams to remove the walls you hate.

Nah, just discourage open concept. Simple and effective. I say if you want open concept in a house that shouldn't have it you deserve to pay out the nose to remove a loadbearing wall or two.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

"I'm so tired of hearing people on these shows say they want the same kind of house they grew up in. Grow up already!"

Am I the only American left who grew up in more than one house? Plus my siblings, I guess....

I did go on a work trip once and they put us up at Fort Worden (in the winter) and ended up with familiar feelings since it was base housing!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

No kidding! How many times have I yelled at the screen, “That’s NOT a Craftsman!”

• Like 1
  • Love 12

Columbia, MD. Here we go, wanting everything for a low price. Do these people not watch this show? The realtor has his own style. About all he has going for him since no commission could make up for the time he's spent with this couple. Mike being all excited about the bidet was funny. Of course she got a deal.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, meep.meep said:

"I'm so tired of hearing people on these shows say they want the same kind of house they grew up in. Grow up already!"

Am I the only American left who grew up in more than one house? Plus my siblings, I guess....

I did go on a work trip once and they put us up at Fort Worden (in the winter) and ended up with familiar feelings since it was base housing!

I just counted the number of houses my parents and I lived in before I left home at 21, and the number was 7.  My dad was not in the military, but we moved for a combination of job relocation, and a few moves were to upgrade to larger houses.  I have no sentimental attachment to any of the houses I lived in as a child.  The Long Island wife's childhood home was not a Victorian, and the 3rd house they looked at didn't look like a Victorian either other than a few pieces of gingerbread trim on the front porch.  None of the 3 houses they looked at were very appealing to me.  Her voice was incredibly annoying, and she made several snarky comments about her husband which was not very nice.     

• Love 5
3 hours ago, laredhead said:

I just counted the number of houses my parents and I lived in before I left home at 21, and the number was 7.  My dad was not in the military, but we moved for a combination of job relocation, and a few moves were to upgrade to larger houses.  I have no sentimental attachment to any of the houses I lived in as a child.  The Long Island wife's childhood home was not a Victorian, and the 3rd house they looked at didn't look like a Victorian either other than a few pieces of gingerbread trim on the front porch.  None of the 3 houses they looked at were very appealing to me.  Her voice was incredibly annoying, and she made several snarky comments about her husband which was not very nice.     

The wife bugged me as well. When a they got to the split level and she said I dont know which way to go. I was wishing I could push her down a level.

Too violent?

• LOL 10
  • Love 5

I had to laugh with the "I don't know which way to go" remark about the Columbia (Laurel) split level.   I bet the house hunter just kept offering the amount she wanted to spend, until someone finally accepted.   I think getting her price was the only factor for her, and all of the talk about what styles she liked were just for a story line.      

• Love 4

Thought the Columbia Md. realtor was the most unprofessionally dressed business  individual I have ever seen.  While he seemed really nice; wearing a shortened version of coveralls on the job left a lot to be desired.  Wonder if he is a one person office.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Texasmom1970 said:

The wife bugged me as well. When a they got to the split level and she said I dont know which way to go. I was wishing I could push her down a level.

Too violent?

Yes times 1000. Hmm, I have groceries. Guess that means I need to go up to the kitchen. Hmm, gotta check laundry, that means down. Not that hard people. Every time I walk into my one story house, I know where I'm heading first.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, cameron said:

Thought the Columbia Md. realtor was the most unprofessionally dressed business  individual I have ever seen.  While he seemed really nice; wearing a shortened version of coveralls on the job left a lot to be desired.  Wonder if he is a one person office.

I think it was clever marketing. No one will remember him just for being pleasant but

'the guy with the shorts" will stick. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Texasmom1970 said:

Too violent?

A few people have said that lately. It seems to be a line the producers are feeding them.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Dehumidifier said:

I think it was clever marketing. No one will remember him just for being pleasant but

'the guy with the shorts" will stick. 

Is it possible to have both thoughts at once? Yes, I thought his attire was really unprofessional, but I see why he did it.  Clients will remember him! 

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Dehumidifier said:

I literally laughed out loud just now when I saw that the realtor's blue hat and suspenders were complimenting shorts. Then I saw the sneakers too. 😄

Nobody has any business making fun of Jesse James’s (HHI) cowboy hat and belt buckle after seeing the way that clown dressed! 

• Love 6

Well I remember that Realtor? I certainly will remember what he looked like but I certainly wouldn't buy anything from him. Talk about making a fool of himself for 15 minutes of fame. I do wonder if he does that all the time or if it was just for the program.

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

Well I remember that Realtor? I certainly will remember what he looked like but I certainly wouldn't buy anything from him. Talk about making a fool of himself for 15 minutes of fame. I do wonder if he does that all the time or if it was just for the program.

I don't know... I'd rather buy a house from him than Tracy from Million Dollar Listing LA.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Lately? They've been doing it for years. It's definitely producer driven and it's stupid. 

I haven't noticed that line until recently, maybe because friends of a friend sold their split level the first day it had an open house (to people moving from a NYC apartment.) We do stairs around here easily and are decisive too!

• LOL 3
On 1/12/2022 at 11:01 PM, Grizzly said:

Sea Cliff, NY. Her voice is annoying. I get what she saw in the kitchen cabinets in house #1. But the rest of the kitchen needed to be gutted. I like the wide staircase in house #2. Not quite sure if #3 was a Victorian. His crack about the ax was funny. There was a lot left to do in it. Hope their choice doesn't turn into a money pit.

I started watching my recorded episode late at night and promptly fell asleep. We don't often see too many Long Island, NY episodes, so I was pretty excited and will have to watch again.

Sea Cliff is a charming town on the North Shore with many, many old Victorian homes. I'm not sure where her childhood home was (town), but as others have said, it most certainly was NOT a Victorian. Looking at the size of that home and property, the wife most definitely came from wealth. I'm wondering how much older her husband is being that his sons are 9 &11. Not that I thought he looked old at all.

The first house was not a Tudor. It had some stone and brick, from what I recall, but was essentially your run of the mill Cape Cod style (minus the dog house front dormers).

The split level was unlike any I had seen. I'm not a fan, but I did like those exceptionally wide steps going to the next level.

I fell asleep and didn't see the 3rd choice.

I'm not sure why, but many Long Island homeowners come across negatively on this show. Or at least that's the reaction from posters here. I think it's because they showcase the more affluent. Not saying all affluent folks act so entitled, but there is a subset here who definitely do.

I'm in a fairly affluent suburb for 24 years now. It was a shock to me when I realized that many of my son's middle school classmates went skiing during winter breaks or to the islands over  Spring break. We moved here when my son was in middle school. Our vacations up until then were road trips to Florida, NC, Virginia, etc. 

Anyhow, I am curious as to which they chose and in what town it was located.

• Love 1
On 1/13/2022 at 3:24 AM, Texasmom1970 said:

Tampa was the first episode of house hunters I couldn't watch. My youngest daughter passed away in 2018; she was twelve years old. As soon as the said their son died I started tearing up.

Oh my goodness. My heartfelt condolences @Texasmom1970. A parent should never have to bury their child. My husband lost his firstborn, my 22 year-old stepson, in the September 11 terrorist attack; he was working in the WTC. I still can't watch footage, so I completely understand how that episode would be so upsetting. I'm behind on my HGTV viewing and haven't seen that episode. Gentle hugs to you.

• Love 1

In Temecula, I would have bought the third house.   It may not be in Temecula, but it was spectacular, had a big yard, and the big garage the husband wanted.   The second house was all what the wife demanded, and nothing the husband said he wanted.   Of course, the husband's demands might have been a storyline, and not what he really wanted.    

• Love 8

Temucula- she was annoying. I, too liked the third house. When hubby and I were househunting for the first time, we were pre-approved for a whole lot more than we felt comfortable with. These couple seemed to be ok going 10% over what pre-approved for. Hope they know what they are doing and don't end up house poor. I hate when a realtor says something like the $200 difference in monthly mortgage is just a few meals out a month. Yeah, but I want those few meals out. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, BAForever said:

Temucula- she was annoying. I, too liked the third house. When hubby and I were househunting for the first time, we were pre-approved for a whole lot more than we felt comfortable with. These couple seemed to be ok going 10% over what pre-approved for. Hope they know what they are doing and don't end up house poor. I hate when a realtor says something like the $200 difference in monthly mortgage is just a few meals out a month. Yeah, but I want those few meals out. 

That's a big mortgage for someone who is in maintenance.  Not sure where the  major source of income is coming from.  And another Peter Pan who has to have a gaming room.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Temecula-they’re newlyweds and bickering like that already?

Good luck to them…😳

Winchester is very close to the heart of Temecula. Hemet is not. I’m guessing many of their family members live nearby, which was a consideration. 

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, answerphone said:

Temecula-they’re newlyweds and bickering like that already?

Good luck to them…😳

Winchester is very close to the heart of Temecula. Hemet is not. I’m guessing many of their family members live nearby, which was a consideration. 

Yeah, and Hemet is...Hemet. There's a reason why homes are less expensive there.

I'm sure the wife has been doing her eye rolling, belittling thing all along. He must find it cute for some reason.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, cameron said:

That's a big mortgage for someone who is in maintenance.  Not sure where the  major source of income is coming from.  And another Peter Pan who has to have a gaming room.

Is that what he said his work involved?  I couldn't understand what he was saying.  I did hear she was in "healthcare?"

I wonder if anyone can speculate what their monthly mortgage payment would be considering they put ZERO down??

• Love 1
8 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

In Temecula, I would have bought the third house.   It may not be in Temecula, but it was spectacular, had a big yard, and the big garage the husband wanted.   The second house was all what the wife demanded, and nothing the husband said he wanted.   Of course, the husband's demands might have been a storyline, and not what he really wanted.    

I agree...the house they chose needed all kinds of work done to it. Horrible paint, carpet, bathrooms needed updating as well as the kitchen. Yard sucked too. The third house was beautiful and didn't need anyhting done to it. Side note: the wife was a spoiled princess and the husband was wanting a farm...not a suburban home...goats? chicken coops? These two are mismatched and bickered ALOT! And did I hear the wife say the daughter's name was Embryo? 

• LOL 9
45 minutes ago, Hedgehog2022 said:

And did I hear the wife say the daughter's name was Embryo? 

I had closed captioning on, and it indicated the daughter’s name was Ambrielle. I was not a fan of the couple or her choice of name for her daughter (my apologies to all you Ambrielles out there!).

• Love 5
59 minutes ago, Hedgehog2022 said:

These two are mismatched and bickered ALOT! And did I hear the wife say the daughter's name was Embryo? 

Anytime I hear a husband emphasize how much he needs "alone time and space (paraphrase)"AND I agree with him😄 my thoughts are always to question why the two of them are together.

There was so much disrespect on her part toward him (words, gestures (eye rolls for both) and innuendos) it really irritated me.  Very abrasive, especially for the child.

If that's how they behaved while ON CAMERA can we only imagine what it's like between them when the cameras are OFF??? 

My sense is that financial issues are going to arise between them once that mortgage and the constant churn of expenses in upgrading the house kick in.  Just a HUNCH!

• Love 7

Temecula

I liked the third place but I found myself not caring which home they got. It was hard to imagine them being happy together anywhere. I agreed with just about every eye roll—from both of them.

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, rhofmovalley said:

Yeah, and Hemet is...Hemet. There's a reason why homes are less expensive there.

Exactly.  I mean, I wouldn't live in Temecula or Winchester, either, but definitely not in Hemet.  (I've been to both places, visiting a friend's family.)

I gave them props for not introducing him to the daughter until the couple was serious, and for saving for a house rather than spending money on a honeymoon (except they apparently didn't save much, since they were putting zero down; they probably blew all their money on a wedding), but once they said they'd been through three real estate agents already, I knew they were going to be annoying.

First up was him wanting carpet.  Yay.  I don't care for it, but it's nice to see on HH since that hardly ever happens.  But then he wanted it because he doesn't like his feet being dirty.  Okay, but hard floors stay much cleaner than carpet with routine cleaning. 

Then there was her evaluating houses based on seeing trick-or-treaters walk up and hanging stockings on a mantle. 

Cue standard script of three boring cookie cutter homes, with them having opposite ideas about everything.  I quickly remembered why I watch maybe one episode a year.  (I just watched it now after reading the comments here; I laughed every time they said the daughter's name, because thanks to this thread I couldn't hear it as anything other than "Embryo".)

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I can't believe the husband like the hideous carpet that was all over the bedroom, and in the bathroom. 

I don't believe it; I think he wanted carpet, yes, but I don't think he actually thought it was great to have carpet in the bathroom.  I think that was just one of the many times they each disagreed with the other for the sake of being contrary.

• Love 3

Temecula: I did not understand the need for 5 bedrooms. There's only one kid, they're currently living in a 2 bed/1 bath. Why not move up to a 3-4 bed house and not completely max out the mortgage and be house poor,

Were they first time homebuyers? I'm guessing they were currently renting. 

• Love 5

Forget the Temecula 5 bedroom couple, look at tonight's new one moving from Florida to Houston.    They want a mansion, and one man said he can live with only 3,000 sq. ft. if it's arranged properly.   

First house is 5500 sq. ft.   

Second house is in The Woodlands.  One partner wants to gut a beautiful, lovely bathroom, and paint the brick.   He doesn't like that the mostly white cabinet kitchen has a contrasting island.    This house is huge.

Third house looks huge too.  I hate the exterior with the stone and stucco mixture. This house is so big it looks like the center of a shopping center with an atrium.   

The two men are some of the most entertaining house hunters I've seen in a long time.   I love it when they have a huge budget.   I have to laugh, one man asked the realtor if the little lake right behind their house has alligators, and she said no.    

When the one man saw the living room ceiling height, I knew he'd want the third house.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5

Austin, TX. I like Kim, the realtor. Very no nonsense while trying to find compromise properties. I want to see these action figures that made Jerrold want to spend less. The condo looked really nice. The yard didn't seem big enough for their dog but maybe they could take her for a walk.

• Love 3

Episode 3 S210: Party House in Houston

The husband thats an interior designer (decorator) complaining about projects almost made me yell at my tv. That is literally your job to design the inside of your home! And if he said “Its like the house I hrew up in in Venezuela” one more time🙄. I wish the producers would retire this schtick. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, CoppersMom2021 said:

I wish the producers would retire this schtick. 

I almost fell off my chair last night when the Austin guy said he didn't want open concept because that's what he grew up with!  Didn't stay awake long enough to know what he chose, though.

• LOL 3
12 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The two men are some of the most entertaining house hunters I've seen in a long time.   I love it when they have a huge budget.   I have to laugh, one man asked the realtor if the little lake right behind their house has alligators, and she said no.    

Hide contents

When the one man saw the living room ceiling height, I knew he'd want the third house. 

Yeah I actually didnt feel as much rage with them as I usually do LOL I wish that I could see what they do to it; although the paint samples they had were slightly white & darker white on an already white wall. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Austin, TX. I like Kim, the realtor. Very no nonsense while trying to find compromise properties. I want to see these action figures that made Jerrold want to spend less. The condo looked really nice. The yard didn't seem big enough for their dog but maybe they could take her for a walk.

The guy is too old for action figures.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Just watched the Temecula episode. Did anyone think the first house, the one with the shallow back yard, was one of Christina and Tarek's flips? I first noticed the tile work style that Christina favors, and then the backyard. Deja vu!

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
On 1/19/2022 at 12:47 PM, pdlinda said:

Is that what he said his work involved?  I couldn't understand what he was saying.  I did hear she was in "healthcare?"

I wonder if anyone can speculate what their monthly mortgage payment would be considering they put ZERO down??

He said "maintenance man." He said he could transfer closer to wherever they bought. Maybe for a school system? I think they are pretty well paid.