Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

On the Boise Boys HGTV show the host talked about Boise having super high prices, because of the influx of people moving from California, and other high cost areas.    It's been happening for a few years pre-pandemic, but really accelerated then because of the remote worker increase.   

One thing I don't like about Boise is the new subdivisions look just like anywhere else, and just another over-priced suburb. 

People can't afford to retire in L.A. or San Francisco, or even Seattle, so they go to places like Boise, and Palm Springs for retirement homes too.  

I'm watching some reruns on HGTV.  Scott & Emily, the engineers in Houston are delusional.   She's decided she either wants to change careers to a non-profit job, stay at home mom eventually, and talks about having a quarter life crisis.   Scott is worried about the budget on the house, but will his income support the mortgage and the family?    Then, they buy a home that needs a lot of work, including foundation work.   Then, she annouces she got another job at the same salary, so they can now pay for the remodel, and foundation work.   That was a strange storyline, that apparently was just a story.     Then, the foundation issue?   I wouldn't touch a house with foundation issues.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

I finally saw the Boise, Idaho episode, and one thing especially, had me scratching my head. One of the houses was only partially fenced in the backyard; I believe it was either the realtor or the buyer's sister who said something to the effect that oh yes, we will have to have the seller take care of that before selling. I was like what the heck? I've never heard of a buyer asking a seller to take care of fencing a yard for them. I mean, I know during home inspections some major problems come up and it's customary to ask the seller to take care of the issue or issue a credit. But fencing a yard? Most definitely, not. At least not in my neck of the woods. 

• Like 8
1 hour ago, ECM1231 said:

I finally saw the Boise, Idaho episode, and one thing especially, had me scratching my head. One of the houses was only partially fenced in the backyard; I believe it was either the realtor or the buyer's sister who said something to the effect that oh yes, we will have to have the seller take care of that before selling. I was like what the heck? I've never heard of a buyer asking a seller to take care of fencing a yard for them. I mean, I know during home inspections some major problems come up and it's customary to ask the seller to take care of the issue or issue a credit. But fencing a yard? Most definitely, not. At least not in my neck of the woods. 

Definitely agree.  Seller doesn't have to fence remaining property.

• Like 4

Born and bred Hoosier displaced now. Really enjoyed the Chicago to Northern Indiana couple. Small budget, but 3 diverse choices. Love a couple that gets along, aren't incredibly demanding and respects partner's wishes and needs too. Good job HH. Liked their pick. Glad they ended up close to hubby's job. 

• Like 8
2 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Just when you thought the North Dakota to Naples, FL woman couldn't look more hideous. 

I never saw the original episode and my first thought after the recap was: he hates her for making them move to Florida and buy that house. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

Last night 2 HH episodes aired that were hosted by HGTV house renovation "stars".  Since I've never watched their shows, I had no idea who they were.  First episode featured a couple looking for a house in Snohomish, Washington.  They had a budget if $500,000ish.  First they saw what they called a townhouse, but it was the bottom floor of what I would call a condo complex.  It was small, and the development had an HOA of $600a month!!!  The 2nd place was a single family house that needed some work, and it was very small as well.  The 3rd house looked like a double manufactured house to me, but that was never mentioned.  It was what they called turn key.  They bought the townhouse with the high HOA.  One of the women stars had a voice that would cut glass - IMO.  I don't think I could have filmed that show with both of those women yapping full speed all the time.

The 2nd episode was in St. Petersburg, FL and featured a couple looking for old with projects, vs new.  The hosts didn't bug me too much, and I like the 2 men.  They ended up with the largest existing house, and had plans to do some projects.  One of the things that I noticed was that the blue bedroom carpet that they said would have to be immediately replace, was still in the room with their furniture at the reveal.  It looked like it needed a good cleaning when they first toured the house.  Maybe my glasses needed cleaning instead.  No way would I have moved into that house with that carpet.    

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

The empty nesters moving into the nudist colony were something else.  Didn't know that people were in the nude 24/7, especially ones out playing sports.  Guess I've led a shelter life.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
On 2/20/2024 at 4:56 PM, rhofmovalley said:

I find the bad acting to be hilarious. "Oh, this is such a tough decision! We better hurry up and choose one or we will miss out!" When we all know they already bought the house. I don't blame them because they're not (usually) actors. 

I do find it amusing when people say "They should have chosen house #X! That's the one I would have picked!" Well, they didn't choose it because it was a decoy and they're already in escrow with the one the did buy.

I thought everyone knew the show is staged but maybe not?

I don’t understand. You mean viewers? Even if the HH have already chosen one of the houses, it might also be true that a different house would have been better.

What locations do you always skip over? We skip past Chicago, all of California and NY/NJ. Those places are usually super expensive and not very interesting. We like watching shows about places we have never been, even small towns.

And yeah, the 30-somethings buying 750k houses that are their forever homes because they have “worked so hard” are a hoot. They have no clue. 

• Like 5

Pasco County, FL: nudists! Now I've seen everything. Wasn't sure if this was new since my DVR recorded a 4am airing but the air date shows 4/25  

Good on April the realtor for capitalizing on a niche market. I just hope she wipes down the golf carts seats between clients. 

• Like 2
On 4/24/2024 at 1:33 AM, LexieLily said:

I never saw the original episode and my first thought after the recap was: he hates her for making them move to Florida and buy that house. 

I’m actually surprised that they’re still together!

• Like 1

Seattle Space Need.   Ashley is moving to Seattle, and buying her first place.  $450,000 budget.  

First condo don't think the camera crew likes her, when she talked about liking the subway tile in the bathroom, she was looking down, and the camera showed a penny tile floor.   

If she thinks the first one is tight and dark, wait until a nice rainy day in winter.  That one doesn't have parking, but you get a parking permit for the area, and hunt for your own space.   

$350,000 on Capitol Hill and she expects charm for that price in Capitol Hill, 1 bed 1 bath.  It comes with covered secured parking. Bedroom is small, and bathroom is nice, but Ashley wants to remodel it eventually.  The garden/patio is shared by the building, and Ashley wants to let her dog run around?   She doesn't actually have a dog yet.  

Third Single Family, with space. $435,000.  It's in the burbs, 20 minutes South of Capitol Hill.   Cute house, with a fenced yard, and under the flight path of the airport.   2 bed 2 bath, 9,000 sq ft lot, 1500 sq ft, really nice house.  There is a driveway, and it's very long.  Primary bedroom is nice, no door o the closet.   Bath is nice, and a good size. downstairs has a finished family room, with an office.   Family room would work with a pull out sofa,  office downstairs wouldn't have the airplane noise.  Lots of windows.  If she has to get a fireplace, they make electric freestanding ones that are great. 

I would buy #3, use the downstairs for an office in the windowless room. .  She bought #2.   

• Like 4
5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I would buy #3, use the downstairs for an office in the windowless room. .  She bought #2.   

I was surprised that no one mentioned that that pink windowless room would be nice and quiet without airplane noise. 

I couldn't believe what Capitol Hill prices were (I'm in California). I just spent the last half hour Zillowing and sighing. 

• Like 5

I know someone who live in the Capitol Hill area.  He moved to a single family home in the burbs of Seattle, and that entire house cost a lot less than his crowded condo on Capitol Hill. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

The Florida nudists.  I really hope this won't be a new trend for HH.  I really didn't enjoy seeing naked people looking at houses.  Some things I don't understand about nudists:

1. How do the women play games like tennis without a bra (they showed some naked people playing tennis)?  Hurts just thinking about it.

2. OK - maybe TMI, but I would not want someone sitting their bare butt on my couch.  And then I sit my bare butt in the same place later? Eww!! So unsanitary! And don't most people have a little "leakage" here are there from body orifices? How is that handled?

The HH woman liked all the windows in the bedroom because they don't want or like privacy. Sounds like they are not just nudists but exhibitionists.  Interesting too that they were "empty nesters" but no mention anywhere of wanting a space for when their kids visit. Personally, I would have NEVER wanted to see my parents naked and maybe their kids feel the same way.

• Like 13
(edited)

My understanding (I used to live where there were a lot of hot springs, and on private land, and they were mostly nudist camps) is sports like volley ball are super popular, and they play it nude.    Everything flops around too.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Mind Blown 1
2 hours ago, debbie311 said:

Personally, I would have NEVER wanted to see my parents naked and maybe their kids feel the same way.

I love my dear parents but seeing them naked would have haunted me for the rest of my life! 😱

• Like 5
  • LOL 2
6 hours ago, debbie311 said:

Interesting too that they were "empty nesters" but no mention anywhere of wanting a space for when their kids visit. Personally, I would have NEVER wanted to see my parents naked and maybe their kids feel the same way.

I was also struck by this. No "when the kids are here at the same time ..." discussion at all!

• Like 2
9 hours ago, debbie311 said:

2. OK - maybe TMI, but I would not want someone sitting their bare butt on my couch.  And then I sit my bare butt in the same place later? Eww!! So unsanitary! And don't most people have a little "leakage" here are there from body orifices? How is that handled?

My issues with nudists have everything to do with hygiene and very little to do with modesty.

• Like 4
20 hours ago, debbie311 said:

Maybe they have a lot of throws on the furniture.  I kind of wondered about that too.  I thought the entire episode was both funny and a bit cringe worthy for me.  Also, I'm assuming they don't walk around naked 24/7.  At one of the scenes at the end, they were at a gathering and a lot of people were wearing clothes.  I guess I'm just not cut out to be a nudist.

• Like 2

I need clothes to keep warm! It's 72 degrees in my house and I am wearing warm slippers, sweatshirt, sweatpants, and a warm bathrobe. I'm comfortable. I'd be cold without the bathrobe. 😄

Were the nudists from the latest episode of Where Are They Now? Somehow, I missed that.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I need clothes to keep warm! It's 72 degrees in my house and I am wearing warm slippers, sweatshirt, sweatpants, and a warm bathrobe. I'm comfortable. I'd be cold without the bathrobe. 😄

Were the nudists from the latest episode of Where Are They Now? Somehow, I missed that.

It was labeled as "new." And I am with you about clothes!  I told my husband that I think the right clothes improve a person's appearance. The woman kept joking that they didn't need to have a dresser in the bedroom because they don't need many clothes.

I always remember the Sex and the City episode where Harry sits his bare butt on Charlotte's white couch and she has to tell him to put on underwear. Cringe.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, chessiegal said:

It's 72 degrees in my house and I am wearing warm slippers, sweatshirt, sweatpants, and a warm bathrobe.

Just reading about all those thick layers makes me sweat.

On 4/27/2024 at 9:22 AM, debbie311 said:

The HH woman liked all the windows in the bedroom because they don't want or like privacy. Sounds like they are not just nudists but exhibitionists.  Interesting too that they were "empty nesters" but no mention anywhere of wanting a space for when their kids visit. Personally, I would have NEVER wanted to see my parents naked and maybe their kids feel the same way.

I didn't watch it, but if she said they don't want/like privacy, not just that they don't care if someone sees them, that does sound a bit like wanting to be on display.  One of my favorite things about my house is how many windows it has, and I generally don't put the shades down until it gets dark.  My bedroom is in the front, with a nice bay window.  If someone happens to be walking past and happens to look at my house and I happen to be naked in there, oh well.  But I keep the shades up during the day because I like the light, not because I dislike privacy.

I've seen my mom naked plenty of times, and probably caught at least a partial glimpse of my dad a couple of times over the many years, but sitting around naked and chatting would be quite odd for all of us, yes.  But if their kids are uncomfortable (Was it said how long they've been nudists?  I wonder if the kids were raised that way or if the parents adopted this lifestyle after they were grown) they probably just visit elsewhere or the parents put on clothes when they come over.

6 hours ago, laredhead said:

Also, I'm assuming they don't walk around naked 24/7. 

All my knowledge of nudist colonies comes from '80s TV shows, as it was A Thing to have the characters unknowingly find themselves in one -- supremely uncomfortable and never knowing where to look, then maybe deciding in the final minutes to give it a go, only to find the event they've chosen to make their naked debut is one where the nudists dress (on The Golden Girls, it was the dining hall).

I just remembered MTV's True Life documentary series did an episode about teens/young adults whose parents are nudists and how they react to that, but I can't remember any details.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, buttersister said:

I saw nudists in my HH queue and hit delete. Sounds like the right call. 

Yeah, they weren't that interesting, never addressed whether their young adult kids would be visiting and/ or participating and the houses they looked at in the local nudist enclaves were really kinda blah.  The hunting couple were also naked throughout the hunt and the blurring done by production was distracting and not in a good way.

I found myself looking at the furniture in the places that were furnished to see how the couch cushions looked.  I wouldn't want to sit anywhere in those places, clothed or not.

And, yeah, the wife anyway sounded like a bit of an exhibitionist who was actually excited at the thought of other people peering through the windows to see them.  It wasn't that she didn't care if anyone saw her naked, more that she hoped they did. Kinda creepy to me.  It also seems to me that since all of their neighbors are nudists, too, they likely wouldn't be all that interested in peeking through the windows anyway.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 2

House Hunters has always had gay couples on the show without making it a "thing". Although it seems only in recent years did they start having lesbian couples. I used to ask my son "where are the lesbians?" Maybe lesbians weren't interested in applying for the show. Anyway I do enjoy the diversity of the people who are featured. 

• Like 2

We also wondered if they carried around towels for when they sat down. I agree the hygiene issues are concerning. Also agree that the wife seemed like an exhibitionist. And we both blanched at the thought of having to use SO MUCH sunblock outdoors in Florida as a nudist.

Newlyweds Dan and Emily in Chicago - now I understand why they'd been house hunting for five months and had already outlasted one broker. She didn't like anything in any of the houses (everything she wanted to gut/renovate and she wanted to complain to the city about the power lines at the third house) and I wasn't sure that she even liked her husband, TBH. 

Edited by LexieLily
  • Like 4
5 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Newlyweds Dan and Emily in Chicago - now I understand why they'd been house hunting for five months and had already outlasted one broker. She didn't seem to like anything in any of the houses (everything she wanted to gut/renovate and she wanted to complain to the city about the power lines at the third house) and I wasn't sure that she even liked her husband, TBH. 

They were certainly quite the pair, her with all the negatives and him with those buggy eyes and having to be close to Mommy and Daddy.  Don't see this marriage lasting.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, cameron said:

They were certainly quite the pair, her with all the negatives and him with those buggy eyes and having to be close to Mommy and Daddy.  Don't see this marriage lasting.

I found it ironic that they were on following a Where Are They Now episode. In five years, will these two still be together?

• Like 2
4 hours ago, cameron said:

She was quite the Debbie Downer; nothing was good enough for her.  She wanted to gut and renovate brand new beautiful rooms. Weird that she didn't demand only new builds as she pretty much made it clear that she didn't want anything vintage.  Definitely won the 'clueless fool' designation from me when she complained that beautiful natural woodwork in one of the older homes was too dark and wanted to paint all of it white to make the rooms 'light and bright.'  Even the husband seemed dumbfounded by that idea.  She truly hated every single detail of every house they looked at, it was kind of mind-boggling.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 5
7 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

I'd need to go back to watch the backstory at the beginning, did she want to move in the first place? They ended up with the house in the neighborhood she didn't want and she didn't pretend to look happy about their final choice.

I hope it was producer driven that the wife was as OBNOXIOUS as she was throughout the episode.  I noted that the husband referenced how "cute" he found her..."cute" enough to marry her. 

My only comment is that the moment she opened her mouth it's quite remarkable that her "looks" weren't immediately obliterated (such as her looks are)...😉

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

I'd need to go back to watch the backstory at the beginning, did she want to move in the first place? They ended up with the house in the neighborhood she didn't want and she didn't pretend to look happy about their final choice.

The wife did say that she wanted to be closer to Chicago due to her work commute.  However, they looked at houses that were closer to the city than Naperville and she didn't like any of those either.  She criticized virtually every aspect of every house they toured.

She did, however, seem on board with the idea of buying a house and the realtor said they'd been searching for over a year which wasn't surprising considering her attitude.

I think they were looking at the suburbs that were a bit farther out from the city for economic reasons.  The amount they wanted to spend wouldn't have gotten them a studio in Chicago itself.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 3

I just watched the Naperville episode.  The wife kept saying bathrooms and kitchens needed to be updated in houses where I thought they looked fine and pretty up to date.  Does she realize that if she updates now, in 2 years there will be something new and shiny on the market?  She was such a negative person.  Did she say what she did in her work life?  I bet the in-laws were glad when she & her hubby moved out.  He said he would spend 90% of his time in the basement, and I wouldn't blame him if it keeps him from the negativity of the wife.  Also can't believe she would have wanted to paint over that pretty natural woodwork in one of the houses.  And, last, I bet the city employees are still laughing at her request to bury the power lines.        

• Like 7
(edited)
On 5/1/2024 at 8:41 AM, rhofmovalley said:

Dan with his "this basement will be mine and I have all the say" was...interesting. 

He certainly wasn't a compromiser. He got his exact location and his Dan cave, while she got --- a 40-minute commute, power lines in the backyard, and a promise of a kitchen and bathroom update. 

She wanted to wait to get the "house in the suburbs, near his parents" when they had kids. For now, she wanted a place closer to the city and her work. 

Edited by Dirge

I was checking to see what episodes I had recorded and started to watch one with the psychic real estate agent. I didn't make it to the first commercial break - stop, delete. Next was the guy who didn't want ghosts - they live in trees you know and come out at night. 🙄

(edited)
7 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I was checking to see what episodes I had recorded and started to watch one with the psychic real estate agent. I didn't make it to the first commercial break - stop, delete

Yes, these new eps are part of the new “House Hunters: Agents gone Wild” - like the nudists ep last week 😒

I watched this in full only because I wanted to see Toronto home searches. (I use to watch My First Place with Sandra) … But I did FF every time the agent/psychic went in 1st to “feel the aura” before he brought the house hunters inside.

Edited by swissair100
9 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I was checking to see what episodes I had recorded and started to watch one with the psychic real estate agent. I didn't make it to the first commercial break - stop, delete.

Yep. Same here. I'm getting tired of the double features packaged as new episodes, that my DVR records, thinking that they are new.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ECM1231 said:

Yep. Same here. I'm getting tired of the double features packaged as new episodes, that my DVR records, thinking that they are new.

Do they get ratings credit for tricking DVRs into recording these old eps bundled together & presented as new? As soon as I see it's an hour, I delete it and I'm continually annoyed by the trickery.

• Like 2