Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, Grizzly said:

They were an interesting couple. I didn't really feel the connection between them. Hopefully the kids vs puppy was producer driven, otherwise they shouldn't get married.

I thought the guy was a jerk. He seemed overbearing and his obsession with getting her pregnant ASAP was just gross. All the houses and the condo were sub par. I guess you need start at $500,000 or higher to see anything down there that would be even be mediocre.

• Like 6
  • Love 2

New episode, "Long-Awaited Boston Dream Home".

How does a sixth grade science teacher afford a $800,000 budget?    The house hunter is so critical of all three houses. I know it's a lot of money, and the house hunters are fed lines by the producers, but I think she's really that negative. 

First house wasn't bad, and was just what she wanted except for needing to paint the cabinets.   $699,900.  She demands new cabinets, when the house has solid wood cabinets that could be painted.   And the bathrooms she says have to be gutted aren't that bad. 

Second house is even bigger, but she doesn't like the main bath, and she wants a closed off kitchen.   

Third house is 3,000 sq ft, but only 2 bedrooms, but it's only $700,000. The walk out basement has a full apartment.  Raised ranch, and she hates raised ranches, and the semi open kitchen.  

She picked #2.  I think she fell for white cabinets. 

• Like 3
11 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

New episode, "Long-Awaited Boston Dream Home".

How does a sixth grade science teacher afford a $800,000 budget?

More importantly, why does she want such a large property? The $800k came from the sale of her duplex, she mentioned paying off the mortgage and owning it outright. She's likely trying to avoid paying capital gains by sinking the proceeds into another house. It just seemed like a lot of house to maintain. Like she said, her son won't be living with her long.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, snarts said:

More importantly, why does she want such a large property? The $800k came from the sale of her duplex, she mentioned paying off the mortgage and owning it outright. She's likely trying to avoid paying capital gains by sinking the proceeds into another house. It just seemed like a lot of house to maintain. Like she said, her son won't be living with her long.

It did seem strange that now that all of her kids are grown and she's ready and eager to live alone; she wants a stand-alone home with a big yard.  Most people want to downsize at that point.  I can see where being the landlord and having tenants might be something she wants to put behind her; but there are plenty of housing options that would be viable while still giving her privacy. It made no sense that she wanted a huge 3 bedroom home with a big yard at this point.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

The Boston Dream Home lady was one of the oddest buyers I have seen in almost ever.  I missed the first part so didn't know her back story. Cabinets are not easy to paint - but doable; and it doesn't cost an arm and leg to pay someone.  Her almost freaking out over the huge tub; the above poster was right - negative on most everything.  She found large faults with each home. Was the son supposed to move out soon?  Did she get that in writing?  I didn't hear her talk about the rest of the family other than she wanted to cook (and boy was I sick of that running commentary) for the family.  I must say the son was very patient. Really one of the most off-putting Hunters ever. And how does a 3,000 sq foot house only have two bedrooms?  I guess the apartment took up a lot of space?

• Like 5

I love the Columbus, Ohio couple,  Giovanni & Brian.   Two people who really care about each other.   I love they're moving from California back to Ohio, I'm hoping they have a healthy budget.   The usual historic vs. fixer vintage conflict, and I like the idea of a new build.   Budget is up from $600k to $800k with a pro kitchen.  

The first house had zero yard, and a trap door to the basement stairs.   The basement is very wet.   I would run away from this house so fast.  It's nothing like what they want. It's from the 1888. I hope they don't buy this one. 

Second house, house is lovely, tiny side yard looks very small for the dogs.They'll have to fence the yard for the dogs.    $768k.

Third house looks a little older, 1979,  but huge. $589k is a good price, or is the price set to get a bidding war?  Beautiful house.  looks totally redone, 3544 sq ft. Kitchen is beautifully finished.  Living room, formal dining, big office, and a great sunroom. back yard had a beautiful patio, fire pit, needs fencing though.   Primary bedroom is big, and bathroom is a huge tiled shower, and a huge walk in closet.  I'll be disappointed if they don't buy this one.  Three lovely bedrooms upstairs.  Finished basement with a game room, and a Murphy bed.  There's a bar down there, and a big bar.  Brian doesn't want to update, that's a lot of paint, but everything else is pretty nice. 

They picked #2. I wish they had bought #3, with the nice yard, and everything finished so nicely.    They can fence the side yard.  

• Like 1

I’m obsessed with the kitchens in the second and third Columbus houses. I’d have bought the third. I particularly loved the backyard in the third. One of them was balking at paint, and like … I’d expect to paint.

On 1/15/2024 at 1:24 AM, buttersister said:

They may wish it, too. Likely though that the good deal big house wasn’t on the market when they had to hurriedly find a house (if that part was true;-)

Also, that third home looked to be well outside the city, maybe in Powell; so it didn't meet their hope to be close to the city and activity.

Indianapolis to Huntsville, Alabama - oh dear.  Another woman obsessed with where to put the Christmas tree, a 12' tall tree, and not happy with having to give up everything else in her Indianapolis "perfect" house that she loved.  Here's a clue potential HH's who change jobs and have to move - be prepared to live in a different climate, deal with totally different styles of houses than you are used to seeing, and not expect that just because you move to what used to be considered a cheap area it isn't cheap anymore because a lot of other people are moving there too.  Yeah, I got tired of her whining about her must haves - white cabinets, everything new and white, blah, blah, blah.  Her husband seemed much more accepting, and ready to give up a 6,000 sf house for much less floor space.  Naturally they chose the one she wanted, even though it still wasn't up to her standards.

• Like 9
1 hour ago, laredhead said:

Indianapolis to Huntsville, Alabama - oh dear.  Another woman obsessed with where to put the Christmas tree, a 12' tall tree, and not happy with having to give up everything else in her Indianapolis "perfect" house that she loved.  Here's a clue potential HH's who change jobs and have to move - be prepared to live in a different climate, deal with totally different styles of houses than you are used to seeing, and not expect that just because you move to what used to be considered a cheap area it isn't cheap anymore because a lot of other people are moving there too.  Yeah, I got tired of her whining about her must haves - white cabinets, everything new and white, blah, blah, blah.  Her husband seemed much more accepting, and ready to give up a 6,000 sf house for much less floor space.  Naturally they chose the one she wanted, even though it still wasn't up to her standards.

And let's not forget her penchant for wearing short shorts and short skirts.

• Like 9
1 hour ago, cameron said:

And let's not forget her penchant for wearing short shorts and short skirts.

I can just imagine her walking around the neighborhood in those damn booty shorts, thinking she's all that.  🙄

• Like 5
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Huntsville: I'm sure a 12-foot tree is pretty, but you'd need a stepladder to decorate it. No thanks.

Tee hee. At under 5' 4" tall, I can't even reach the top branches of our 6-foot tree to hang ornaments, let alone the star at the very top. 

• Like 6
20 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Huntsville: I'm sure a 12-foot tree is pretty, but you'd need a stepladder to decorate it. No thanks.

Maybe these wealthy people hire someone to decorate it for them.

Unrelated, but I saw a YouTube video where a couple and their child were moving and they hired a service to pack all of their belongings for them. That just icks me out. I don't want some bare-handed stranger touching my dishes and cups and linens and clothing. I would have to wash everything I own before using it. 

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, rhofmovalley said:

Unrelated, but I saw a YouTube video where a couple and their child were moving and they hired a service to pack all of their belongings for them. That just icks me out. I don't want some bare-handed stranger touching my dishes and cups and linens and clothing. I would have to wash everything I own before using it. 

It did cross my mind that they could hire someone to decorate the tree. Think of all the ornaments it would take to decorate a 12-foot tree. That's a lot to store.

I've hired moving companies every time I've moved. Yes, they pack up everything. Never bothered me.

• Like 7
5 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I've hired moving companies every time I've moved. Yes, they pack up everything. Never bothered me.

Yep, actually the military moved us 14 times in 28 years! Never bothered me either.  Funny story from when we moved from Japan - we discovered the movers wrapped every knife, fork and spoon separately!

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 2
  • LOL 8
7 hours ago, rhofmovalley said:

I don't want some bare-handed stranger touching my dishes and cups and linens and clothing. I would have to wash everything I own before using it. 

From my personal experience, the moving company packing for 3 corporate moves I had ALL WORE DISPOSABLE GLOVES and SHOE COVERINGS.  They did a great job and were very clean and professional. (The packing service was quite expensive--paid for by the employer--so I presume the packers were paid quite well.)

• Like 4
On 12/29/2023 at 5:30 AM, BAForever said:

Carlito probably qualified as Tim's emotional support dog.

Emotional support dogs hold no special status similar to that mandated for service dogs, which are trained to perform a task directly related to a person's disability.

Service dogs are allowed wherever their owner is allowed, with very narrow exceptions (like perhaps a sterile operating room).  No business is ever required to allow emotional support animals, which are no different from pets when it comes to access to public accommodations.  If you see one at Home Depot, it's because Home Depot allows it to be in the store as a pet--no law requires them to allow it.  No law requires any business to allow any animal other than a service animal.

There is an exception for housing, though.  Under the Fair Housing Act, there are situations where a landlord may not refuse to rent to a person with a support animal if certain conditions are met.  This is broader than in other places of public accommodation, where service dogs have to be allowed and emotional support dogs don't.

On 1/6/2024 at 8:17 AM, laredhead said:

I've had both a wood burning only fireplace, and now have one that will burn wood, but has a gas starter, and gas logs.  Yes, you lose some of the wood smoke smell,

You say that like it's a bad thing.  When I was growing up, my mother used to put our jeans on stretchers and hang them on the brick above the fireplace to dry.  A teacher at my brother's junior high once asked him if he brought a barbecue sandwich with him to school every day.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
On 1/4/2024 at 3:33 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I've seen shared driveways go very bad.    All it takes to go wrong is for one homeowner to park in the driveway and block it, and the other person can't get out.  

You mean like how the HH Spencer parked in the driveway and blocked it, while dismissing Kevin's concerns about a shared driveway because he doesn't drive?  Sure, a shared driveway is no problem...if you're the asshole who blocks it.

Also, Kevin needs to work on his math.  He said over half of the first house had a garage door on the front of it.  Uh, more like a quarter.  Half of it was a nice patio, and the remaining quarter was brick with a window in it.

I've never been a fan of houses that are all garage on the front (once someone pointed it out to me), but this one didn't ping that irritation at all, and I think the garage was more nicely integrated into the facade than the one they picked.

• Like 4

Freeport, FL: She's a gas station cashier and he's a limo driver and their budget is $500k. I can't. Hope theyre paying cash from that accident settlement. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
7 minutes ago, snarts said:

Freeport, FL: She's a gas station cashier and he's a limo driver and their budget is $500k. I can't. Hope theyre paying cash from that accident settlement. 

I missed the very beginning and hadn't heard what they did for a living. That's unbelievable. They know they have to pay utilities and taxes, right? So busy rubbing it in their families' faces that they made it. She had really nice hair. And he seemed very courteous. 

San Antonio, TX.  22 year old buying her first home with help from mom and dad. I wasn't sure if she had a job or not so was wondering how she got approved for 200k. Could have done without mom but as an only child, I get the dynamic.

• Like 4
(edited)
On 1/19/2024 at 9:55 PM, snarts said:

I loved her red outfit.      I can't believe their budget is sustainable in the long run with their income.    Maybe the husband gets huge tips?   

I hope their choice is easy to resell in case of a job loss, or some other event.    I would be terrified to spend all or most of a settlement on a house that will probably be unaffordable if something goes wrong.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 5
15 hours ago, snarts said:

8 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I loved her red outfit.      I can't believe their budget is sustainable in the long run with their income.    Maybe the husband gets huge tips?   I hope their choice is easy to resell in case of a job loss, or some other event.    I would be terrified to spend all or most of a settlement on a house that will probably be unaffordable if something goes wrong.   

I just replayed this episode with subtitles and it shows that he said he is a linen dropper not a limo driver.  Could be wrong.

24 minutes ago, cameron said:

just replayed this episode with subtitles and it shows that he said he is a linen dropper not a limo driver.  Could be wrong.

I looked at the beginning and it does sounds like he says linen dropper but Google tells me that isn't even a job. He said he used to be a Concierge. I can see someone going from Concierge to limo driver. I think that's a cc mistake. 

• Like 2
(edited)
On 1/19/2024 at 9:51 AM, rhofmovalley said:

And how many things go missing? With the way things are today not being able to find good help I don’t trust anyone to do anything correctly. I certainly wouldn’t have strangers going through my items and packing them up for me.

Edited by chediavolo
(edited)
6 hours ago, chediavolo said:

And how many things go missing? With the way things are today not being able to find good help I don’t trust anyone to do anything correctly. I certainly wouldn’t have strangers going through my items and packing them up for me.

I've had professional movers on two occasions, paid for by my employer.  Reputable professional moving companies are bonded and insured.  Prior to the move, they meet with the clients to discuss any specific needs like furnishings that are expensive antiques, artwork or jewelry; as well as any important papers, files, etc.  They encourage the clients to move anything really special/expensive themselves in their own car and will provide the boxes, etc to protect those items.  They take photos and keep a careful record of anything of value that they are to move.   After the move, the client is asked to review the paperwork, certify that all items are present and in the same condition as prior to the move.  The moving company's insurance would cover anything that was lost, stolen or damaged.

In my moves, granted I didn't have much in the way of valuables; I never found anything missing or even damaged.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 6

Woman buying a house in Saratoga episode had me screaming at TV.  She wanted cozy, and didn't want to clean a big house, so she's looking at 2 houses with around 1,000 sf, and one at 1,300 sf.  She has an 8-year old, and her boyfriend has 2 boys, 8 and 12, although he won't be moving in for a year or so.  She thinks one bathroom is enough.  She liked old features, and I was wondering how long that was going to last after living in one of those small houses.  The boyfriend wanted more space, and I agreed with him.  None of the houses looked great to me, and the house she chose didn't have a dishwasher, but did have a garage which is probably good in that part of New York.  The final scene showed the living room, and her big sofa occupied most of it.  I just can't imagine living in such a small house with 3 growing boys.  I know people do it, and have done it for years, but it's not something I would choose.          

• Like 1
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, laredhead said:

Woman buying a house in Saratoga episode had me screaming at TV.  She wanted cozy, and didn't want to clean a big house, so she's looking at 2 houses with around 1,000 sf, and one at 1,300 sf.  She has an 8-year old, and her boyfriend has 2 boys, 8 and 12, although he won't be moving in for a year or so.  She thinks one bathroom is enough.  She liked old features, and I was wondering how long that was going to last after living in one of those small houses.  The boyfriend wanted more space, and I agreed with him.  None of the houses looked great to me, and the house she chose didn't have a dishwasher, but did have a garage which is probably good in that part of New York.  The final scene showed the living room, and her big sofa occupied most of it.  I just can't imagine living in such a small house with 3 growing boys.  I know people do it, and have done it for years, but it's not something I would choose.          

I was put off by her overly plucked eyebrows.

• Like 2

Saratoga Springs, NY: she was buying the house on her own and, as a school counselor needing a second job, her finances were limited. Her boyfriend lives 2 hours away and isn't able to move in for a least a year, so I didn't understand why he had any say in home purchase. 

A lot can change in a year. IMHO, they should've waited to purchase the home until they were both financially invested OR she should've limited her search to only why she was comfortable spending. As it is, she went way over her budget. What if they break up tomorrow?

Kansas City, MO: Good on them for managing all those investment properties! But, I'm with her, the strategy in buying the house that will be your home should be a little different.

I personally didn't care for any of their options, and felt #2 was the one best choice. I hope she's ok living through the construction with the one they chose, Again IMHO, they'll likely end up spending more with the necessary home improvements than the price difference between the two. I have to assume the location was better with #3,

• Like 3
15 hours ago, laredhead said:

Gonna be interesting. Sounds like he only has his 2 boys weekends. Logic says his kids mom is going to stay where she and kids live, so when/if all 3 kids will be at new house is going to be infrequent. Sounds like HH kept part of their story quiet or they are really bad planners.

• Like 3

I just watched an episode, the woman was obsessed with Feng Shui and the husband was obsessed with a patio or deck big enough for his grill, cut to the end, they are in their new house, (she put ugly curtains in her kitchen) and was sitting with her Feng Shui advisor person, the husband goes to the deck to put food on the grill...I had a good laugh when I saw it, it was a smaller than average grill, it would have fit anywhere. 

The participants with a small budget often are shown homes that are near a highway or has a small yard or the houses are close together and complain about each house they see, how the real estate agent does not launch in to the "you want more land and privacy you will have to pay way more money," speech, they have the patience of a saint.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Baltimore Betty said:

The participants with a small budget often are shown homes that are near a highway or has a small yard or the houses are close together and complain about each house they see, how the real estate agent does not launch in to the "you want more land and privacy you will have to pay way more money," speech, they have the patience of a saint.

I have a good friend who is a real estate agent, and she has the patience of Job.  She has told me several times that I would be a good realtor, but I always tell her that I would never be able to keep my mouth shut when someone would whine about their $100,000 budget not being big enough to buy a $500,000 house, or a million other whines about color, location, etc.  I'll stick to my day job of being retired and yelling at buyers on HH.     

• LOL 10
On 1/19/2024 at 10:55 PM, snarts said:

I’m watching that episode now and I saw their budget and heard their occupations and was like “?!” There has to be another source of income. She probably makes minimum wage, which, no shade, but minimum wage doesn’t get you a $500K house. That accident did look bad and they said they’d been injured (they appear to be healed, thankfully), and given that the damage was to the rear of their car, I’m going to guess that they weren’t at fault so I’m going to assume they got a settlement, like you said.

• Like 5
5 hours ago, BAForever said:

Gonna be interesting. Sounds like he only has his 2 boys weekends. Logic says his kids mom is going to stay where she and kids live, so when/if all 3 kids will be at new house is going to be infrequent. Sounds like HH kept part of their story quiet or they are really bad planners.

I suspect bad planners, or she intended to sell the house in a year or so, and with the partner, buy a bigger place.   

I've found through the years that the person that only has part time custody, may suddenly change the amount of time that the partner's kids are there.   If the partner's kids end up there full time, then that house is way too small.   

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

I’m watching that episode now and I saw their budget and heard their occupations and was like “?!” There has to be another source of income. She probably makes minimum wage, which, no shade, but minimum wage doesn’t get you a $500K house. That accident did look bad and they said they’d been injured (they appear to be healed, thankfully), and given that the damage was to the rear of their car, I’m going to guess that they weren’t at fault so I’m going to assume they got a settlement, like you said.

Assuming they got $500K from the accident, take in consideration they probably had a lawyer so there goes some of it for the lawyers fees, taxes? So they look at $500K houses, what about settlement costs, repairs, taxes, furniture, and wait till they need a new roof or replace a hot water heater...endless ways to spend money on a house.  They do the same thing on My Lottery Dream House, they win a million, they are not walking away with a million but look at houses close to a million...does not make sense.

• Like 2
  • Useful 5

You'd think that maybe the producers wouldn't encourage that/get involved in it. But what do they care, I guess. That's entertainment. 

I'm usually glad when the million dollar ticket winners set a budget of $200K to $300K, although it frequently results in David showing homes that HHs would barf at (small rooms, builder-grade finishes--nothing wrong with any of it, just not, you know, millionaire stuff--but don't get me started on that conceit again;-)

• Like 2
19 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I suspect bad planners, or she intended to sell the house in a year or so, and with the partner, buy a bigger place.   

I've found through the years that the person that only has part time custody, may suddenly change the amount of time that the partner's kids are there.   If the partner's kids end up there full time, then that house is way too small.   

I found it kind of comical that the woman's bf was pushing for that one house that was just a tiny bit larger. I believe it was < 1400 square feet. Yes, that is still almost 400 sq ft larger than the one she bought, but it's hardly what I'd call large. The boyfriend bugged me; he wasn't contributing anything to the home purchase and was only going to pay towards the mortgage when he moved in (which was reasonable), but since he wasn't contributing any money towards the purchase, in my opinion he really had no say. I mean the home buyer did ultimately buy what she wanted, but she had to go way over asking price. I absolutely hate that that's how it is nowadays in many markets. Still, that would be considered a steal in my area. 

• Like 6
41 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

The boyfriend bugged me; he wasn't contributing anything to the home purchase

Anyone hear what he did for a living? 

When he said it his voice was garbled.  She said she was a teacher and had a second job.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, pdlinda said:

Anyone hear what he did for a living? 

When he said it his voice was garbled.  She said she was a teacher and had a second job.  

He's a teacher. She mentioned that as educators they both had Summers off.

• Like 1
(edited)

The Alabama couple: I didn’t like the yard slope in the house they chose. It made me uncomfortable starting at the front with the house being so tall on one side because of the front slope and then the back slope was another angle. It was poorly placed on the lot and I would have never even gotten out of the car if it was one of my options. The other house confused me with the side yard. Who owned the side or was it shared. 
They were a bland couple. She seemed flat in personality and he seemed…they were just flat and bland. 
I didn’t think her shorts were too short, ha! She looked great and looked very much in the style of southern heat shorts. You can do that in the heat if your thighs don’t meet at the top, ha! I do mid thigh just for that reason. I did what her to fix her over processed limp straggly hair. I hope she finds a salon that will fix it.

I was beyond sick of hearing about her furniture. Then it looked like what she had was RoomsToGo/Ashley Direct stuff and not heirloom good furniture. Gah!

Edited by stewedsquash
Furniture
  • Like 3

I think if somebody is planning on moving in with someone else that is buying a home, and that person is going to be paying rent, that they absolutely have a say in the house selection.  Not final say, but if I'm going to help you pay your mortgage for a house that you will ultimately own, while I am still just renting, then, yes, I get a say.  Plus, you expect me to pay rent in a place I don't want to live?  Nope.  I expect to have input and to say that if you buy a place I don't want to live in, then I can say I'm outta here.  It's the homeowners final say, but if you want my money to help pay your mortgage, you have to buy a place I also like.

About buying a home because you had a windfall (accident settlement, lottery winner), I agree that they should take into account the cost of living there, and I've heard stories of people winning the HGTV Dream Home and having to sell because they couldn't afford the upkeep, but sometimes, I think they already have a home that they can sell to add to the purchase of the lottery home or towards the upkeep.  But then, some people just get blinded by sudden wealth.

• Like 1
On 1/22/2024 at 7:48 PM, stewedsquash said:

The Alabama couple: I didn’t like the yard slope in the house they chose. It made me uncomfortable starting at the front with the house being so tall on one side because of the front slope and then the back slope was another angle. It was poorly placed on the lot and I would have never even gotten out of the car if it was one of my options. The other house confused me with the side yard. Who owned the side or was it shared. 
They were a bland couple. She seemed flat in personality and he seemed…they were just flat and bland. 
I didn’t think her shorts were too short, ha! She looked great and looked very much in the style of southern heat shorts. You can do that in the heat if your thighs don’t meet at the top, ha! I do mid thigh just for that reason. I did what her to fix her over processed limp straggly hair. I hope she finds a salon that will fix it.

I was beyond sick of hearing about her furniture. Then it looked like what she had was RoomsToGo/Ashley Direct stuff and not heirloom good furniture. Gah!

Still think that she is too old for those type of shorts.

• Like 2
(edited)

I was totally confused by the Aberdeen, SD episode, first aired in 2020.  Basketball coach at college, and Kindness blogger wife, moving to Aberdeen.  They have dramatically different budgets, he wants move in ready, she wants in town, and a fixer to 'put her stamp on it'.   

So they pass on a lovely Victorian with three floors, a media room so he can watch his game films, with plenty of bedrooms, and space for her office, and the daughter's sewing business.   

They buy a smaller fixer, that I bet will cost more than the nicer second house after the wife's renos.   (He's still there, in his fifth year of coaching, that's a relief.  I know of too many coaches that buy during their first year, and don't get a contract for the next year, and have to sell at a loss). 

I'm wondering what the renos cost, and how it was living through them?   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

t was aired in 2020.  

I'm wondering what the renos cost, and how it was living through them? 

I wonder if that was a flip house for them to spend some $$, but then sell for a much higher price.  Is Aberdeen an area where property values are rising rapidly?  Would be interesting to see if they are still living in the house.  During COVID people moved to Idaho by the thousands, and property values in many areas there have skyrocketed.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

So they pass on a lovely Victorian with three floors, a media room so he can watch his game films, with plenty of bedrooms, and space for her office, and the daughter's sewing business.   

The coach was adamant that they would need renters to afford that place. And the wife was adamant that she didn't want to deal with renters. I liked the Victorian. It would be easy to rent to grad students. 

• Like 2

Yes, renting to grad students or new instructors would be perfect.   There were already two apartments in place in the lower level, and it looked like they had separate entrances, so that would have paid a lot of the mortgage.    That house would have been so good for the family, and the need for her office, the daughter's business, and the media room.  

I really would love to know how much remodeling they did on the first house they bought, and how much that reno cost.   

• Like 3

I don't know if this single mom in Honolulu is a repeat but she is annoying. Budget is not going to get all she wants. #1 is over budget, she complains about the condition, it doesn't have central air and she asks could the realtor find something better, less money and closer to the beach. Do these people hear themselves?

• Like 5