Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The couple downsizing 😂 to SF was a rerun from two years ago, but new to me. It played like a sitcom—the couple was hilarious, in their own way. What a surprise that they bought her family’s home and that her mom and grandma were able to get the price reduced for her. 😂😂😂

The husband is a good sport. Or, as I suspect, a good actor.  Downsizing? 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 3
On 12/16/2023 at 3:26 PM, Crashcourse said:

I liked the MInnesota twin brothers.  One is a dentist and the other is a CPA, so they can certainly take care of each other.  😊

Probably in the minority here, but the twin that was the home buyer had a really grating voice and was obsessed with his ability to garden.  Hate to be the person he is seeing.  

• Like 2
On 12/11/2023 at 5:07 PM, alexa said:

Is the show changing up their name?  On my dvr the usual time slot for House Hunters calls it Dollars and Sense the last week or so.  The week before it said House Hunters Volume 7 I think?  

On my guide for the last few weeks, instead of House Hunters every episode is called "Dollars and Sense in Florida" (with the individual episode title above it) and two HHI episodes today were both called "Military Move to South Limburg."

• Like 2

Not being able to post this week no big loss. Christmas trees and lights!!! all blended together. Who buys a family home based on tree space for a holiday? No one who is sane, it’s a nice-to-have, not a must-have. Pretending it’s something else made these people look foolish. FF—>

• Like 4
6 hours ago, buttersister said:

Who buys a family home based on tree space for a holiday? No one who is sane, it’s a nice-to-have, not a must-have.

I have lived in 10 different houses/apartments in my lifetime, and never once when I looked at any of them did I think about where I would put a Christmas tree.

Edited by laredhead
  • Like 4
  • LOL 1
19 hours ago, Dirge said:

On my guide for the last few weeks, instead of House Hunters every episode is called "Dollars and Sense in Florida" (with the individual episode title above it) and two HHI episodes today were both called "Military Move to South Limburg."

Same.  I keep thinking it is a new show on HGTV, lol.  I don’t know why they have them listed this way all of the sudden.  

• Like 1
20 hours ago, laredhead said:

I have lived in 10 different houses/apartments in my lifetime, and never once when I looked at any of them did I think about where I would put a Christmas tree.

I have.  Wasn't a factor in my choice, but I did think the large picture window would be a nice place for the tree.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Johannah said:

I have.  Wasn't a factor in my choice, but I did think the large picture window would be a nice place for the tree.

I've done the same.  It wouldn't be a deal breaker and I wouldn't have discussed it aloud; but, when I was seriously considering a house or apartment; one of the things I thought about was where the tree would go, how I'd decorate.

• Like 2

I'm not sure why HGTV decided to shove Christmas down our throats this year. I don't remember that happening in past years. I get showing Christmas episodes of scripted shows (yes, I realize HH is scripted), but this just seems to have come out of nowhere.

• Like 2

The Christmas hunters who say they want a tree in every room confuse me.   One nicely decorated tree is enough.   Or do they have trees up year round?   

The woman I was irritated at was on a rerun a while ago.  She had five little kids (I think 5 kids), demanded a five or more bedroom home, so the kids could have their own rooms.  Then, when she was shown homes with that many bedrooms, she said some of the kids would have to share so she could have an entire big bedroom for her plants.  She even said she wanted a plant shelf in the stairway, how would she put them up and water them?    I'm hoping it was a story line. 

Then remember the ones that haul their dog through all three houses, Butters the labradoodle was one years ago, I think near San Francisco.    And the realtor with the literal purse dog, hauled around in her Birken bag, I think that was the dog's name too Birken.  

Then, the instagram/pod cast star in Louisiana, who would make the kids share bedrooms, so she could have the attached apartment suite for her pod cast and photos, so she wouldn't be disturbed by her own kids.     

I'm hoping some of the super selfish ones are just a storyline, but I've met people who are that selfish, and entitled. 

The ones who are buying some butt ugly, McMansion just to impress others amaze me too.   I wonder how that works out when there's a job loss, or other financial issue?   Or they get a job offer far away, and have to sell quickly.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1

I've read there are people who keep a Christmas tree all year or others who put up multiple trees. Seems a little strange to me, but not as strange as the woman in NOLA who was obsessed with all things Mickey Mouse. Her after picture was jaw dropping.

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

And let's not forget the turtle woman who took her turtle with her on her house hunt to make sure the turtle liked the house. I think that when the production company get applications like those, they just start doing a happy dance.

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 8
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Then, when she was shown homes with that many bedrooms, she said some of the kids would have to share so she could have an entire big bedroom for her plants. 

Must confess, some of these people cause me to think unkind thoughts. 

• LOL 7
On 12/24/2023 at 7:02 PM, chessiegal said:

Seems a little strange to me, but not as strange as the woman in NOLA who was obsessed with all things Mickey Mouse.

Mickey Mouse Law School Lady.  Upon second viewing, she actually didn't mention "law school" as many times as it seemed like she did, but the name stuck on TWoP.  And, yes, that reveal of all the Mickey memorabilia littering her home was really something.

We had a Crazy Christmas Tree Family then, too, back when there was only one!

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Grizzly said:

St Louis. I'm liking Timothy. Wouldn't mind being friends with him and Carlito. Tim looked at some interesting properties. He wasn't too picky. I think he'll be happy in that house.

I thought he was a wacko.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, cameron said:

He was quirky for sure. Liked his options- guessed correctly his choice. Liked his realtor, he was positive yet honest about pros and cons of each place. The lake house was intriguing, but hell no with the foundation and drive way concerns. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, cameron said:

I'm not a pet owner but Tim seemed "obsessed" with his dog.  I understand a dog owner loving their dog; however, I recently read an article discussing how many pet owners in Tim's age group forego having children due to their pet essentially fulfilling that role.  I'll leave my comment at that...

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

Did you know that Tim was a creative?

He was blessed with a good friend in that realtor, and I wonder if irl, he’d helped Tim find that house. It suited him. And, I suppose, Carlito, although the less said about that, the better.

I’m torn between hoping there’s a therapist or referral among Tim’s friends/family and just shutting TFU. Tim and Carlito got a great house, great neighborhood, he makes a living and seems happy and content. 

• Like 3

I thought Tim's realtor tried to bring reality into Tim's world.  I would want someone like him as a realtor if I was buying a house.  Tim loves his dog, but I got a little bit tired of hearing "Carlito" after about the 10th time. 

• Like 7
5 hours ago, pdlinda said:

I'm not a pet owner but Tim seemed "obsessed" with his dog.  I understand a dog owner loving their dog; however, I recently read an article discussing how many pet owners in Tim's age group forego having children due to their pet essentially fulfilling that role.  I'll leave my comment at that...

I was like “why is that dog in the restaurant?”

4 hours ago, laredhead said:

I thought Tim's realtor tried to bring reality into Tim's world. I would want someone like him as a realtor if I was buying a house. 

I liked the realtor a lot. There was a brief moment in the beginning when Tim was listing his desires, many of which were contradictory, where he looked like “… Dude,” and it cracked me up. But he was also very pragmatic, telling Tim to budget for appliances in the first (ugly) kitchen and warning him about how much it would be to do the work he wanted to do.

• Like 6
27 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

What restaurant allows dogs (other than service dogs)? He wasn't in France.

People bring dogs everywhere now. I saw a woman pushing her Husky in a cart in Target. I saw another woman go full Karen in the grocery store when she was asked to leave her dog, which was literally nosing around the produce, outside. These are not service dogs; service dogs don’t act like that. (I saw a Tik Tok where a guy called non-service dogs “unemployed pets” and I fell out - he, too, was lamenting the trend of people bringing dogs everywhere.) Carlito seemed to be well-behaved, but like … leave him home. He doesn’t need to go to the restaurant.

I’m watching an episode set in Fairbanks, AK. I’m very attracted to the realtor.

Edited by Empress1
  • Like 4

Tim looked at hs realtor like he was completely smitten with him a few times, especially in the beginning. I actually thought they were a couple for a bit. Then I realized Carlito was Tim's primary love.

• Like 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Thumper said:

Didn’t see the episode, but I don’t want non-service dogs in restaurants or stores, either.  😩

Re dogs in public places. I volunteer at local school sporting events. Several times a year some adult tries to convince me that their dog is a service animal and therefore can come in to the event. They often claim to have paperwork (it's always in the car) or a vest that one can buy at Amazon. It's a liability issue for the school district always make me frustrated to fight them. I like dogs, but wish they'd stay at home. Carlito probably qualified as Tim's emotional support dog.

• Like 4

Model House hunter who wanted a ranch house like grandma. While looking at first place, she said she was glad it had a "distinguished garage" (it was a carport). I laughed loudly. I guess she meant dedicated. She had 6 vehicles that she rented out- so she needed a big parking area. Struck me as so funny. Anyone else notice? 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, BAForever said:

She had 6 vehicles that she rented out- so she needed a big parking area. Struck me as so funny. Anyone else notice? 

Yes, I noticed, and I also noticed that the house next to the one she bought looked like it was just a shell of a house that maybe burned, or was in a state of being demolished.  I would love to see the surrounding houses and the area because it looked a bit rural to me.  She was going to have trouble finding a house in a newer subdivision that would accommodate 6 vehicles.  She drove a different one to each showing.  In the reveal, it looked like she was living in the house, but the place looked like it was in total upheaval with all of the remodeling she was doing.  Her cousin had some words of wisdom about the fact that flipping a house is much harder than it looks on TV.     

• Like 9

Atlanta, GA: model? Six cars? 400k budget plus money for upgrades? What does she really do? Was there an inheritance from the grandma?

The house she chose was ugly and looked to be a on a bad area as well.

Atlanta episodes are my least favorite, primarily because I'm typically uninterested in the housing options. Too many 90s mcmansions.

• Like 8

Stumbled across possibly the most awful HH female I’ve seen in a while. Trying to find a house in the Los Angeles area for a couple that werent married yet. She was making rude comments the whole time, and every house she had a pissed off look while she’s prancing around in her stilettos. The guy seemed nice and wanted a place for his band, and she even had the audacity to say that if she didn’t like the house she wouldn’t move in with him. And he kept saying how he just wants to make her happy. I give them 3 months for him to put up with her awful behavior living together. 

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
1 hour ago, twoods said:

Stumbled across possibly the most awful HH female I’ve seen in a while. Trying to find a house in the Los Angeles area for a couple that werent married yet. She was making rude comments the whole time, and every house she had a pissed off look while she’s prancing around in her stilettos. The guy seemed nice and wanted a place for his band, and she even had the audacity to say that if she didn’t like the house she wouldn’t move in with him. And he kept saying how he just wants to make her happy. I give them 3 months for him to put up with her awful behavior living together. 

I saw some of that. You are right, she was the worst. I went and made dinner instead of seeing which place they bought.

• LOL 3
(edited)

Apparently the theme of today's HH marathon was 'people you would hate to live next to'.    The gambler/musician couple were so bad together.   

The fire dancer and her instructor being roommates was interesting, some of the options needed a total gut job.   

Then there was also the San Francisco area couple where she was determined to get the fanciest house, no matter what the cost.  That had the modern remodeled monstrosity with the updated main floor, and the ugly addition was horrible.   I think she's the one that asked the realtor if quartz or marble countertops were more expensive.  Pretty bad when someone demands the best of everything, and doesn't even know what costs more.   

The Houston Lakes duo with the huge budget, but he demanded waterfront, and she still had to have a pool, spa, and he wanted a bargain.    Neither of them was very likable. 

The Oklahoma couple where she wanted turnkey, and with character, and he wanted 5 acres or more, even if it meant an hour commute.    They ended up with a modern looking place, on 1/4 acre.    

I hate the episodes where the couple have outrageous demands, don't compromise, and really need separate houses. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 5
On 12/29/2023 at 1:25 AM, jcbrown said:

Carlito was Tim's primary love.

Primary AND EXCLUSIVE!!  No one could possibly compete with Carlito for Tim's affection...😄

• Like 1
  • LOL 6
(edited)

So, the couple moving back to Spencer's home state of Iowa, have to get walkable because the husband doesn't drive?   I figured they would go for #2, the vintage home, in the walkable neighborhood.    I really wish that house #1 with the lovely kitchen would have been in a better location.  Instead they pick #2 with a kitchen that even when they rip it out, will still be small, and closed off.    I agree with the non-driving husband, the shared driveway on #3 was a big mistake.  As he said, who knows what it will be like to share a driveway with the neighbors.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 5

I wonder if a shared driveway is becoming a "thing".  There is a builder here in town that has built a subdivision, and all the houses have shared driveways.  I have wondered if driveway is cheaper to install than landscaping.  There must be a big cost factor involved.  The houses look strange, and there is a lot more driveway to shovel in the winter.  These homes are not for me.

• Like 6

We bought a new build house in 1983 that had a shared driveway, but only partially, in that there was a common entrance that forked out to the rest of the driveway that went to each house. It wasn't a problem. When it snowed, we shared shoveling duties with our neighbor until we bought a snow blower. Then we took care of our driveway plus the common area that went to the street. It helped to have good neighbors.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, CalicoKitty said:

I wonder if a shared driveway is becoming a "thing".

A shared driveway would be a deal breaker for me.  You may have great neighbors, but if they sell to inconsiderate people, then problems could happen.  I'm sure there must be a cost benefit to builders to put in shared driveways.

• Like 9
(edited)

Some times the shared driveway is a flag lot, where a house was built on the back of another property,.  The new house either has a shared driveway, or a permanent easement for their driveway to the street.  But the driveway is the only access to the road.   It's shaped like a flag, and the flag pole is the driveway to the street, and the house is on the flag.    

I've seen shared driveways go very bad.    All it takes to go wrong is for one homeowner to park in the driveway and block it, and the other person can't get out.   I've even heard of shared garages, where each person has a side of the garage, without a wall between the sides.    

I wouldn't touch a property with a shared garage or driveway.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 9
16 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I've even heard of shared garages, where each person has a side of the garage, without a wall between the sides.   

Absolutely fucking not. 

When the blond husband said “I think I got more of what I wanted in this house but … it’s in Iowa,” I fell out. I guess he wasn’t as “in love” with Iowa as he claimed to be.

• Like 2
On 1/4/2024 at 4:33 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Some times the shared driveway is a flag lot, where a house was built on the back of another property,.  The new house either has a shared driveway, or a permanent easement for their driveway to the street.  But the driveway is the only access to the road.   It's shaped like a flag, and the flag pole is the driveway to the street, and the house is on the flag.    

I've seen shared driveways go very bad.    All it takes to go wrong is for one homeowner to park in the driveway and block it, and the other person can't get out.   I've even heard of shared garages, where each person has a side of the garage, without a wall between the sides.    

I wouldn't touch a property with a shared garage or driveway.  

A shared driveway is hell. We had one in a house we rented. The shared neighbor was a pissy old man who complained about my child playing basketball in our backyard on weekends & after school. To punish us, he put a fence down the middle . I suppose he got an ok from codes, no idea , but it was pretty tight. We had no problem not hitting  the fence since we were young & better drivers but old man crotchety pants kept dinging his car. It was hysterical! POS people abound.  Never buy a home with a shared drive.  

• Like 10
(edited)

I liked the aunt who was the realtor in the single mother wants Victorian Atlanta episode.  The HH's wonderful memories of a wood burning fireplace never included buying the wood, bringing it inside, starting the fire and keeping it going with almost constant attention, and then cleaning out the fireplace after every fire.  I bet daddy did all of those things.  I've had both a wood burning only fireplace, and now have one that will burn wood, but has a gas starter, and gas logs.  Yes, you lose some of the wood smoke smell, the crackling fire, etc, but I'll take a gas log fireplace any day now that I'm older.  Her dad and aunt also offered some good advice on a garage for safety as well as protection from the weather. 

The Iowa couple  - just here to say I liked Spencer much more than Kyle.  The kitchen in the one they bought is miniscule.  I do hope the one that cooks (Spencer) gets ALL of his desires when they remodel, because he got short changed on his overall wishes for a house.  I did agree with Kyle about the shared driveway.  I probably wouldn't have set foot in that house if I had been the potential buyer because of that feature.  Their dog was adorable. 

Edited by laredhead
Spelling correction
  • Like 6
39 minutes ago, laredhead said:

I liked the aunt who was the realtor in the single mother wants Victorian Atlanta episode.  The HH's wonderful memories of a wood burning fireplace never included buying the wood, bringing it inside, starting the fire and keeping it going with almost constant attention, and then cleaning out the fireplace after every fire.  I bet daddy did all of those things.  I've had both a wood burning only fireplace, and now have one that will burn wood, but has a gas starter, and gas logs.  Yes, you lose some of the wood smoke smell, the crackling fire, etc, but I'll take a gas log fireplace any day now that I'm older.  Her dad and aunt also offered some good advice on a garage for safety as well as protection from the weather. 

The Iowa couple  - just here to say I liked Spencer much more than Kyle.  The kitchen in the one they bought is miniscule.  I do hope the one that cooks (Spencer) gets ALL of his desires when they remodel, because he got short changed on his overall wishes for a house.  I did agree with Kyle about the shared driveway.  I probably wouldn't have set foot in that house if I had been the potential buyer because of that feature.  Their dog was adorable. 

Thought the Atlanta HH was overly picky and she wants a house for entertaining with a new baby and being a single mom too.  She also needs how to correctly pronounce the word "decor".  Did like her Dad and Aunt.

• Like 3
On 1/6/2024 at 9:58 AM, cameron said:

Thought the Atlanta HH was overly picky and she wants a house for entertaining with a new baby and being a single mom too.  She also needs how to correctly pronounce the word "decor".  Did like her Dad and Aunt.

She also wanted to be close to downtown for the nightlife.  With a newborn. As a single parent.  I have a feeling that auntie is going to regret offering to help with child care.

• Like 7
(edited)

The new couple are interesting, she's originally from the Ukraine, he's originally from Jamaica, and they're house hunting in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea, and Fort Lauderdale.   

First house is OK, but the back yard is very small.  I'm suspicious that the office/bedroom has a lot of furniture in it, the main bedroom has a lot of furniture too. The kitchen needs work, and cosmetic everything.  No surprise with the amount of furniture in the house, that it's theirs.  

Second is a condo high rise, right on the beach, but they have a west view, not beach.   That scares me after the condo collapse.  HOA $795 per month, with almost all utilities included, pool, and lots of amenities.   Impact windows throughout.   Nice high balcony railing.   Washer is in the kitchen, and dryer in in a closet in the living room.  it's only a 2 bed, 2 bath, guest bedroom is small. Main bedroom is a great size.     Fe wants a long-term home, she wants a 2 to 3 year home.  

Third is single family.  $629,000 on the canal, only one bathroom.  No garage, just a carport, needs a driveway.  All tile floors, kitchen is huge, updated.  Nice view of the canal. main closet is small, bathroom isn't big, but updated, with a tiny sink.  Realtor says there's an option for a second bathroom in the former garage, and enclose the porch and turn it into the second bathroom for an ensuite.  Canal is 30 to 40 minutes to the sea.  he wants to fence the back for safety.    He loves the possibilities, and she thinks the price is way to high considering what they need to do to the house.

They pick #1, the one with furniture in a bunch of rooms.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 3

They were an interesting couple. I didn't really feel the connection between them. Hopefully the kids vs puppy was producer driven, otherwise they shouldn't get married.

• Like 7