Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Just another way to promote their other shows, by gluing two reruns together with a theme.       It's a cheap way to put out not new items and call them new in the TV guide.      I don't like it.    Some of the reruns they use are years old, and totally irrelevant to current house hunting.     Some of the hunters are so unlikable too.   

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Judiz said:

I hate this format of HGTV hosts narrating  House Hunters.  They sound so phony.  I rather have the previous off screen narrator. 

yeah, that's all i need is more tattooed David.  yuck

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, cinsays said:

yeah, that's all i need is more tattooed David.  yuck

Agreed.  It's like an immediate reach for EYE BLEACH...his appearance is like body graffiti...too much and very distracting from whatever he's doing in his professional role. 

What would propel an individual to appear that way?  Can someone please explain it to me?😆

• Like 5

The producers just rerun two episodes, with anything that will pass for a common theme, and have the 'star' film additional clips.   Sneaky way to get something listed as 'new'.   Some of these are years old reruns. 

The couple moving after all of those years in the same house in Minneapolis-St. Paul was interesting.     I don't think the decoys were good candidates.   The house they picked is not going to work with the dog.   It has no fence, and with many of the condos where the HOA does all of the landscaping, you can't fence.   So, the ridiculous idea of the husband to just let the dog out is bizarre.    

• Like 5

Iowa to Scottsdale- so obvious which one they chose. Neighborhood where 3rd house was seemed sketchy. Calling major shenanigans on a pool costing $25,000 to $30,000. Seemed like a nice couple, they were not annoying or demanding. 

• Like 3

I'm constantly amazed at the low numbers some of the realtors claim a kitchen total remodel or bath will cost the buyers.    

On one of the recent episodes, not sure which one, a realtor told the couple that redoing two baths and the kitchen would cost $25,000.  Nope, that's a cosmetic with paint, and maybe new vanities and lights, and that's all, plus refacing cabinets, and not much more.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 6

Just watched the episode with the New Jersey couple - she wanted to be close to her family, and he didn't which he made abundantly clear throughout the episode.  Wonder what her family thought about hearing that?  The house should be nice when the renovation is finished.  

The woman's voice was like nails on a chalkboard to me.  The vocal fry, and sloooooow talk was so annoying.  I muted it in parts to give my ears some relief.   

• Like 1

So, last night's new episode was moving to Charlotte, NC from NJ.   She bought a townhouse with her cousin a few years ago on the show, and now she wants a warmer climate.  Her cousin bought her out, or that was the storyline at least.  That was interesting, to see the two ranch houses, and the townhouse.    I really liked the townhouse, and agree that was the best option. 

I don't think the first house was even a contender, with only one bathroom, and barely over 1,000 sq ft.    The third was too much of a fixer for her, and too far from amenities.   

• Like 4
On 12/5/2023 at 9:32 PM, Grizzly said:

Anchorage, Alaska. They seem really young. And why haven't they said how far these places are from work? In winter, that's got to be a consideration. Thought they might pick #3.

My daughter and her family just moved back to Wisconsin from Eagle River AK.  They both worked in Anchorage.  ER is very close to Anchorage.  The ER schools are part of the Anchorage School District. Where my daughter worked in Anchorage it was 20 minutes away from ER.  The bad part-there is only one way in and out so if there was a traffic accident or someone hit a moose it took a lot longer.   A few years ago there was a major Earthquake and it took my daughter 6 hours to get home. ER is a nice area.  The base is right outside ER so a lot of military families.  My daughter was not military just wanted an adventure.  But the schools and neighborhoods are transient with a high every 2 year military turnover.   They moved back because of the high cost of living, the distance from the lower 48 and the poor school system.  My youngest 2 grandkids have some special needs and the school could not meet them.  They have thrived since being back here.

• Like 1
  • Useful 7

Buckhead area of Georgia buyer must have been looking in the outlying fringe areas of Buckhead.  Those prices that she was looking at aren't normal for Buckhead proper, which is a very high end area of Atlanta.  Think it an outskirt area that shares a Buckhead zip code.

Edited by cameron
  • Like 4

On the Chicago to Atlanta episode, I was very impressed with the investments and business model of the house hunters.    I really liked the third house, with the separate area for the mother with some improvements, but it's not always possible to add a kitchen to the basement area for that house.    

The first house was OK, but will need a lot of work to make it work for the family when the mother moves in.       

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2

Is the show changing up their name?  On my dvr the usual time slot for House Hunters calls it Dollars and Sense the last week or so.  The week before it said House Hunters Volume 7 I think?  

• Like 1

Minuet (sp?) from Atlanta repeat on Dollars and Sense. Ok, she had  2 sons 16 and 18 or 19. So they are supposed to share a Murphy bed in her closet? Shenanigans! Am guessing she didn't have custody of younger son or he's at a boarding school. Bet kids don't come over at Christmas much either. And her dog jumping all over her contractor? Yikes. Didn't love her design anesthetic either. 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

On the Chicago to Atlanta episode, I was very impressed with the investments and business model of the house hunters.    I really liked the third house, with the separate area for the mother with some improvements, but it's not always possible to add a kitchen to the basement area for that house.    

The first house was OK, but will need a lot of work to make it work for the family when the mother moves in.       

I pity that poor woman when her mother moves in. I could not stand her. What a horrible personality.

• Like 1

Mesa, AZ:

Space Lady annoyed me with her near constant space attire. Four different space dresses/tunics. We get it, you're an astronaut.

I understand that she wanted more space for her art near the college campus, just not sure why that meant a 4 bedroom house. She didn't mention guests or a home office and, in the one she chose, talked about enclosing the covered carport for her art rather than use one of the extra bedrooms.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Yes, that was confusing, she bought a house over budget, claimed she had a strict budget, and then wanted to change a ton in the house, and turn the carport into her art studio, so build from the ground up.

I agree that her robust financial situation was hard for me to understand.  She seemed to have a background in govt and higher education.  She presently is on a fellowship that I presume is at our local university, ASU.   From what I read her stipend would be about $20K a year...NOT MUCH!

I have no idea how someone with that background/present professional status is in a situation essentially qualifying as a "millionaire." 

I fully admit, however, that she obviously has other financial resources that are separate and apart from her professional remuneration.

Lastly, having lived in Phoenix for 32 yrs. I will share that it is one of the most EXPENSIVE places in the U.S. to live!  

• Useful 3
4 hours ago, chessiegal said:

More expensive than NYC, LA, San Francisco, and Seattle?

I can't speak for the East Coast; however, I will say unequivocally that we have sustained a massive wave of people relocating to AZ from CA and other West Coast states in the last few years. 

The result of that migration has driven up housing costs (and all related industries) markedly.  Our gas prices have recently settled at around $3.50/gal; however, over the last year they hovered around $5.00 gal.  Utilities are also very high.  

14 hours ago, snarts said:

Mesa, AZ:

Space Lady annoyed me with her near constant space attire. Four different space dresses/tunics. We get it, you're an astronaut.

I understand that she wanted more space for her art near the college campus, just not sure why that meant a 4 bedroom house. She didn't mention guests or a home office and, in the one she chose, talked about enclosing the covered carport for her art rather than use one of the extra bedrooms.

That woman was weird. How was she an astronaut? Was she with NASA or one of the private space travel outfits?

Her attire was even creepier than her art. Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder.

• Like 5

PA/NJ shore. House #1 was nice and updated and then there'd be some distressed wood that stuck out to me, not in a good way. #2 seemed like a good choice for her. Brian was even willing to give up the shore for it. But Hilary still thought it was too small. You're not going to get a ton of room in a Cape, her preferred style. #3 had the beautiful backyard and no furniture. Will that be their choice?

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

PA/NJ shore. House #1 was nice and updated and then there'd be some distressed wood that stuck out to me, not in a good way. #2 seemed like a good choice for her. Brian was even willing to give up the shore for it. But Hilary still thought it was too small. You're not going to get a ton of room in a Cape, her preferred style. #3 had the beautiful backyard and no furniture. Will that be their choice?

#2, the Cape Cod, would have been my choice. At 2100 sq feet, I don't think it's too small for a family of 3. Plus, it had the 4th bedroom, and that lovely 3 season room. The principal bedroom on the main floor was lovely, as was the en suite with double vanities. The home oozed charm, and had a beautiful yard with igp overlooking a lake. 

The colonial may have been slightly larger, but the bedrooms weren't that large. The en suite bathroom looked to be the same size as the one in the Cape, which they deemed "tight " There was more updating to do and it just wasn't as appealing to me. 

• Like 3
11 hours ago, pdlinda said:

Lastly, having lived in Phoenix for 32 yrs. I will share that it is one of the most EXPENSIVE places in the U.S. to live!  

6 hours ago, pdlinda said:

I can't speak for the East Coast; however, I will say unequivocally that we have sustained a massive wave of people relocating to AZ from CA and other West Coast states in the last few years. 

The result of that migration has driven up housing costs (and all related industries) markedly.  Our gas prices have recently settled at around $3.50/gal; however, over the last year they hovered around $5.00 gal.  Utilities are also very high.  

That's still cheap compared to here (L.A.), one of the cities from which you've seen people move to your area.  Phoenix, like most places, is more expensive to live in than it used to be, but "one of the most EXPENSIVE places in the U.S. to live" it is not (if we're going with top ten, fifteen, or twenty lists from reputable sources) -- but it is more expensive, on the national ranking, than I'd realized, so thanks for sending me down a research path that taught me something new.

• Like 1
On 12/11/2023 at 10:17 PM, kirklandia said:

Here are a couple of individual episode titles - so maybe a rerun?

image.thumb.png.6334fa80a88d32315ba7222fd11a61e7.png

Many of them are reruns, I just have never seen that name for multiple episodes before.  Usually it just says House Hunters and the season and episode number.  The odd thing is that it doesn’t even say House Hunters for the episodes lol. 

10 hours ago, buttersister said:

Yep. Turns out Brian’s a happy wife/happy life guy. Or his stated preferences (me, me, me) and budget were bs. Big house, big backyard, big price tag — enjoy, Hilary!

11 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Brian really reminded me of Jon Stewart.

9 hours ago, Bastet said:

That's still cheap compared to here (L.A.), one of the cities from which you've seen people move to your area.  Phoenix, like most places, is more expensive to live in than it used to be, but "one of the most EXPENSIVE places in the U.S. to live" it is not (if we're going with top ten, fifteen, or twenty lists from reputable sources) -- but it is more expensive, on the national ranking, than I'd realized, so thanks for sending me down a research path that taught me something new.

Don't think that Phoenix beats Carmel, Ca or Pebble Beach for expensive homes.  Typical small 2 to 3 bedroom in downtown Carmel goes for in the low 3,000,000 and up while next door Pebble Beach commands an eight figure number.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2

Brian got on my last nerve.  Someone upthread said they thought 2100 sf was not too small for a family of 3.  If I lived with Brian I would want more than 2100 sf just to have a place to get away from him for a while.  I think House #3, which they purchased, was a great house - big yard, pool, and lots of square footage.    

• Like 4
23 hours ago, cameron said:

Don't think that Phoenix beats Carmel, Ca or Pebble Beach for expensive homes.  Typical small 2 to 3 bedroom in downtown Carmel goes for in the low 3,000,000 and up while next door Pebble Beach commands an eight figure number.

Plus the yearly property taxes and expensive upkeep from being close to the ocean.  I don't understand how new home buyers can afford it.

• Like 1
On 12/12/2023 at 10:26 PM, dogdays2 said:

If you want info on the astronaut, Google is your friend. 

I tried to find information on her, but couldn't find her name anywhere or anything more than a description of the show "astronaut turned artist". Can you help me out? Thanks!

35 minutes ago, Flip Flops said:

I tried to find information on her, but couldn't find her name anywhere or anything more than a description of the show "astronaut turned artist". Can you help me out? Thanks!

I didn't see the episode, but they normally give the first name of the HH, and the full name of the real estate agent. Between the 2, you might be able to find her.

• Like 2
On 12/13/2023 at 8:17 AM, cameron said:

Over the summer I read San Diego is now more pricey than San Francisco - median home price for San Diego is $969,020. It's crazy but people keep coming!

On 12/14/2023 at 4:34 PM, Goodtimes said:

"It's crazy but people keep coming!"

Last month, in my town of Redmond WA, the median home listing price was $1.2M and the median home sale price was $1.4M.  According to Realtor.com.

• Like 1

Well, HH St. Paul twins episode fooled me last night.  The house he chose had furniture in it, but they didn't show the basement primary bedroom which I thought was strange during the tour.  Then the reveal showed it fully furnished and that was the house he chose.  i liked something about all three houses, and especially the exterior of the 2nd one. 

• Like 4
5 hours ago, laredhead said:

i liked something about all three houses, and especially the exterior of the 2nd one. 

I was VERY IMPRESSED with all 3 houses! 

Was pleasantly surprised at how unusually unique and stylish each house was decorated...even the 2nd one that needed a lot of reno.

• Like 3