Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

6 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

I'm not sure that's true. I have a brand new house with all of the bells and whistles but I do have a damp basement because it's built in heavy clay.  I have a dehumidifier down there.

Same. My home is older but no water issues yet I use a basement dehumidifier in the Summer, I'm sensitive to mold and it helps the central air system run more efficiently. Likely depends on where you live. 

• Love 3

Yes, it can be damp, or just not have great air circulation, but the second house (or the third) had water trailing all across the basement floor.     I was totally mesmerized by the basement with the plants coming into the basement through the rotting window, that was a house that I bet had a lot of issues.    

12 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

Was this the Cleveland engaged couple, who had been living with her mom for a year after selling their home?

Yes, it was. And if I were the mother, I would have kicked them both out after 6 months, at the longest. But then it became obvious that the mother spoiled miss smarty pants, so she had no room to complain.

As an aside, I tried sharing a kitchen with my mother (back in the day) for only 1 week, and we were ready to kill each other after the first few days (LOL) let alone a year. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

Thanks for the tip on “wainscoting.”   I’ve been pronouncing it incorrectly, I guess.  I wonder why it’s not spelled “wainscotting?”

I didn’t know about farm sinks either.  I don’t read design magazines.  I just watch HH!  lol

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 2/18/2022 at 5:05 PM, Grrarrggh said:

Anyone have guesses at how old each person in the Decatur GA couple was? Or any proof? We have a bit of a bet going on lol. 

He's 53. His name is Joseph Reitman and he used to be married to Shannon Elizabeth. 

MV5BMTcyMTg0NzgzMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNjg1OTkz._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

• Useful 4
On 2/17/2022 at 7:13 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Yes, if you rent on VRBO or Airbnb, and trash the place, you will be paying for it, and you'll also be on the list of people who will never be rented to again.

I looked online, and in the same area of South Pittsburgh, there were a ton of 3 and 4 bedroom houses, with at least two full bathrooms, and big kitchens, for under $300k.     The Pittsburgh couple just wanted to be in a trendy area, and walk to coffee shops, restaurants, etc.     I bet in five years they'll either move back to Vermont, or get a bigger house in the same area.   

I bet a lot of the workers with the basement Pittsburgh Potty were from the steel mills.    The basement open space toilet might not be elegant, but it was a spare toilet in what was probably a one bathroom house.  

I thought that she was spacey.  Kept contradicting herself on what she liked/wanted in a house.  Vermont was stamped all over her and he wasn't a prize either.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, snarts said:

^via his instagram, she's Lee Von Lux.  Obviously a stage name but a modeling website listed her age as 36. twitter lists her occupation as model/nudist. I'm thinking her income is primarily from onlyfans. 

Apparently there's money to be made from posing nude! There is a YouTuber called "Wonderhussy" who made money by charging a fee to pose nude at whatever setting the customer chose such as the desert, a salvage yard, in the mountains, etc. I never knew such a thing existed. 

I do know one can also make a lot of money web camming. Doing housework nude, things of that nature, and people pay a membership fee to watch.

I wonder if he's a former customer lol.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

In so many episodes one of the must haves often mentioned is the ability to walk to coffee shops, etc.  I really wonder just how many people really do walk anywhere?  Of course, I live in Texas and you don't walk, you drive, so having that as a major point for purchase of a house just seems odd to me.  

• Like 1
  • Love 7

Oregon to NJ. I can see why she left IT, was it, to go into book publishing. If he's getting pulled across the country for her job, his work space in the home should matter. Wonder how one breaks into book publishing? I liked the modern house. Hope the whole people want a house with a ghost thing is producer generated. Loved the cats.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, etexlady said:

In so many episodes one of the must haves often mentioned is the ability to walk to coffee shops, etc.  I really wonder just how many people really do walk anywhere?  Of course, I live in Texas and you don't walk, you drive, so having that as a major point for purchase of a house just seems odd to me.  

I live downtown and I walk everywhere except when I do my big weekly grocery shopping or I want to go on a hike in a nature area. There are coffee places, restaurants, bars and shops AND parks and the beach all within walking distance. I absolutely love it. I'm not completely happy with the apartment I'm in but I don't want to move because I love the location so much. So yes, that actually is a priority for me.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

For those for whom it's important, it's really important.  When I moved from my old neighborhood to this one, I convinced myself cutting nearly in half the number of stores, restaurants, libraries, etc. within walking distance was going to be okay, and if I had it to do over again I'd still choose this house given the totality of the circumstances, but I'm out and about less here than I was there, so it does affect my life.

But it may very well be that some of the HHs who have it on their wish list don't actually care, it's just part of the script along with hardwood floors, granite countertops, and couples wanting the exact opposite of each other.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

For those for whom it's important, it's really important.  When I moved from my old neighborhood to this one, I convinced myself cutting nearly in half the number of stores, restaurants, libraries, etc. within walking distance was going to be okay, and if I had it to do over again I'd still choose this house given the totality of the circumstances, but I'm out and about less here than I was there, so it does affect my life.

But it may very well be that some of the HHs who have it on their wish list don't actually care, it's just part of the script along with hardwood floors, granite countertops, and couples wanting the exact opposite of each other.

I agree. I think the producers might think it sounds trendy and hip to say you walk to shops and restaurants. When I am neither trendy nor hip lol. It's just a perk of living downtown.

• Like 1

Location. Location. Location. I feel every homeowner who wants to walk to places, that’s what I do and haven’t looked back at the sacrifice of space. (Work, stores, restaurants/coffee houses, parks, beach, lake, river, museums, concerts, one-bedroom😂)

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Kudos to Cali family for taking care of their sister. Thought they'd pick the smaller house closer to sister for the help with Chelsea, but it was pretty small. Hopefully they are getting assistance both $$ and in-home. Think HH left a lot out of that story. 

• Love 10
10 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

California: How does that guy take care of a 5yo (even just on the weekends) and a severely disabled adult? I hope he has help of some sort.

My cousin has Down's Syndrome. He receives funding (not sure if it's federal or state) to cover his living expenses. I would speculate the family receives funds that would help pay for a caregiver.

Kudos to them for providing a loving and safe home for their sister.

I did wonder why they sold the family home, though. Did they explain why?

• Love 5

The sister undoubtedly gets Social Security payments to help cover her living expenses. State and local governments might have other benefits having to do with free or less expensive transportation, lower access fees, etc. Still, it's a heavy burden. The sister in LA was committing to babysitting every weekend. Their parents raised them well.

If he sold to a company, that could mean all-cash, no inspections, and maybe even coverage for moving expenses.

I wonder how he'll find time to find a wife, let alone one who is willing to share in his responsibilities. I wish him well.

Edited by mojito
  • Love 8
12 hours ago, mojito said:

The sister undoubtedly gets Social Security payments to help cover her living expenses. State and local governments might have other benefits having to do with free or less expensive transportation, lower access fees, etc. Still, it's a heavy burden. The sister in LA was committing to babysitting every weekend. Their parents raised them well.

If he sold to a company, that could mean all-cash, no inspections, and maybe even coverage for moving expenses.

I wonder how he'll find time to find a wife, let alone one who is willing to share in his responsibilities. I wish him well.

I thought about that, too. Poor guy.

The house they picked in California is going to need a lot of work in that bathroom to make it ADA compliant for their sister.  First thing to go is that bathtub.  How that realtor could even say (with a straight face) it would work for their sister.  The only thing that probably would work is the toilet.

• Love 5
On 2/25/2022 at 6:30 AM, BAForever said:

Kudos to Cali family for taking care of their sister. Thought they'd pick the smaller house closer to sister for the help with Chelsea, but it was pretty small. Hopefully they are getting assistance both $$ and in-home. Think HH left a lot out of that story. 

They were such a nice family.  And his son Austin was just the cutest!  I really do wish, though, that he'd bought the smaller home closer to his sister. An 80-mile drive is a lot, especially since she really wants to be there frequently.  

• Love 4
41 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

They were such a nice family.  And his son Austin was just the cutest!  I really do wish, though, that he'd bought the smaller home closer to his sister. An 80-mile drive is a lot, especially since she really wants to be there frequently.  

There was enough room, she could move in too.

• Love 3
50 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

There was enough room, she could move in too.

I thought I heard the sister say she wouldn't move because her present location is close to her work.

On another note,  I was a bit taken back when such a fuss was made about the sister's kind offer to "babysit" the son, Austin.  They said the boy only stays at his father's home for the weekends so I was thinking that the father might be prioritizing his own social life instead of spending quality time with his son. 

I don't want to be "judgmental or critical" of the father, but that term "babysitter" for Austin by his aunt caught my attention.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, pdlinda said:

I thought I heard the sister say she wouldn't move because her present location is close to her work.

On another note,  I was a bit taken back when such a fuss was made about the sister's kind offer to "babysit" the son, Austin.  They said the boy only stays at his father's home for the weekends so I was thinking that the father might be prioritizing his own social life instead of spending quality time with his son. 

I don't want to be "judgmental or critical" of the father, but that term "babysitter" for Austin by his aunt caught my attention.

I took it as possibly respite care for Dad. Caring for  special needs Chelsea is most likely exhausting. 

• Love 4
(edited)
On 2/26/2022 at 1:37 PM, BAForever said:

I took it as possibly respite care for Dad. Caring for  special needs Chelsea is most likely exhausting. 

It was hard to figure out the extent of her disabilities and how much she could handle on her own.

There must be some level of home health care attendants even just to help her perform the "acts of ordinary life" - i.e. dressing and bathing.

I realize that there are male nurses who take care of female patients and vice versa but I think it would be difficult for a brother to attend to personal needs of a sister or even a mother. When my father needed home health care in the last two years of his life I was lucky enough to find someone. I don't think either my father or me would have wanted me to be the one to bathe him or help him toilet himself or change his underwear. For my mother it would be different - hard of course but different.

Edited by amarante
  • Love 1

Southern NJ. Paul picked the house I would have. Still not sure why he needed all that space. And he does realize that the future Mrs will want to put her own stamp on it, right?

• Love 4

Chicago divorcing couple: That’s them getting along well for the sake of their child? Which came first: The divorce or the disdain, sarcasm, lack of respect, and put downs? I hope this wasn’t their best behavior.

God bless him for listening to her voice for 12 years. His board game obsession seems pathological, but there’s no harm in letting him showcase a few prize games in the main living area. How many needless arguments did they have about those games?

• Love 2
(edited)
11 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Southern NJ. Paul picked the house I would have. Still not sure why he needed all that space. And he does realize that the future Mrs will want to put her own stamp on it, right?

Someone needs to tell the smug home buyer  that it's not called a bell tower on house #2, but a cupola instead.

Edited by cameron
  • Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, cameron said:

Someone needs to tell the smug home buyer  that it's not called a bell tower on house #2, but a cupola instead.

The agent tried to correct him but of course Mr. Fancy kept calling it a bell tower, like he thought it made the home seem more like a castle.

I wonder who's going to clean that massive monstrosity. The mythical future Mrs.?

• LOL 4
  • Love 8

South Jersey

Maybe Paul should find the woman first and not try to entice one with the purchase of a Mc Mansion. He was cheerful and upbeat, but still came off as a bit desperate. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 13

Good luck, Paul in NJ. Your ep didn’t come off like a date-me half hour you may have thought, but hope you enjoy your SPACE.

Couldn’t tell how long that realtor had been working with him, but it sounded like the struggle was real. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 6

I think Amber the realtor had been working with him for a couple of years.  I liked the house Paul bought.   I really didn't like the third house, I thought the bedrooms, and other rooms were small.      I was surprised at how small the one main bedroom was.    The one house with a lot of carpet needed the carpet ripped out, it looked nasty.  

• Love 4

NJ: Wasn’t the house he bought the one with that hideous two-toned patterned wood floor upstairs? Whoever thought that was a good design choice? 😬 

I kept saying “Dude, do you really want to marry a woman who is attracted to you because of your house?” 🤦‍♀️

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 11
4 hours ago, buttersister said:

Good luck, Paul in NJ. Your ep didn’t come off like a date-me half hour you may have thought, but hope you enjoy your SPACE.

Couldn’t tell how long that realtor had been working with him, but it sounded like the struggle was real. 

I felt the realtor's pain...cuz this guy was a real pain in the arse. In almost every home he complained about not having enough elbow room...it was so annoying. All three of these homes were McMansions. Did he figure in the cost of heating and air conditioning this house? All those rooms for one person??? It was almost pitiful to hear him continue to ask the realtor if a woman would like this or that or would be impressed or attracted to him for the home he was looking at. 

• Like 1
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, Hedgehog2022 said:

I felt the realtor's pain...cuz this guy was a real pain in the arse. In almost every home he complained about not having enough elbow room...it was so annoying. All three of these homes were McMansions. Did he figure in the cost of heating and air conditioning this house? All those rooms for one person??? It was almost pitiful to hear him continue to ask the realtor if a woman would like this or that or would be impressed or attracted to him for the home he was looking at. 

Maybe he was hoping SHE would want to marry him.

• Useful 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
54 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Paul in NJ thought there were women watching the show and drooling over the houses and the idea of being married to him. 

Not such a crazy idea.  Case in point, idiotic shows like 90 Day Fiance and another one about marrying someone you've never seen.  There are loony toons everywhere.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Hedgehog2022 said:

Also, the taxes on that size of property.     Maintenance will be awful with the multiple furnace, and air conditioning units.     I bet homeowner's insurance for a house that is worth that amount is awful too.   

I liked the realtor, and I think they make a cute couple.   If you can hunt for houses for two years with Paul, then you must be a good match.  

• Love 5
On 3/1/2022 at 3:21 PM, amarante said:

It was hard to figure out the extent of her disabilities and how much she could handle on her own.

There must be some level of home health care attendants even just to help her perform the "acts of ordinary life" - i.e. dressing and bathing.

I realize that there are male nurses who take care of female patients and vice versa but I think it would be difficult for a brother to attend to personal needs of a sister or even a mother. When my father needed home health care in the last two years of his life I was lucky enough to find someone. I don't think either my father or me would have wanted me to be the one to bathe him or help him toilet himself or change his underwear. For my mother it would be different - hard of course but different.

I care for my 100 year grandfather who is bedridden. As a granddaughter, cleaning him up was indeed awkward... for both of us. But, 2 years in, it's no longer awkward... just accepted as necessary. So I imagine the brother is now used to it too. I liked the house he picked... just wish it was closer to the other sis.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I liked the realtor, and I think they make a cute couple.   If you can hunt for houses for two years with Paul, then you must be a good match.  

I got a vibe from them too. Heh! Wonder if they ended up dating. 

• Love 2

Just watched the southern Calif family episode.  The sibling banter between Aaron and Courtney was really cute.  I found them more relatable than a lot of the buyers on the show.  I was confused about how he sold his house to move in and care for Chelsea, but then apparently quickly sold the family home.
Right before this I watched the ep about the single guy in NJ, so it was funny to see two in a row where the buyer wanted a house to attract a partner.  Aaron was a lot more low key about that than the NJ buyer though.  I just hope this isn’t the beginning of a trend where single buyers want a house to attract a mate, that’s not a great plan.
I thought none of the houses seemed very adapted for a wheelchair.  But at the very end Aaron was demonstrating the special bathroom chair that would fit over the toilet or over the bathtub for a shower.  I guess maybe Aaron and Courtney grew up helping with Chelsea’s care.  
Overall this was one of the sweetest episodes of HH I’ve seen.  

• Love 5

Abuse survivor in CT. Must be respectful. Can't be snarky about stairs making her feel safe. Loved Moose, he was a good friend. Of those 3 towns, most people would pick Glastonbury if they can afford it. Not sure where in town she was but I am confident she is not near shops and restaurants. And to her credit, she didn't want that. Just room for her dog to run.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Could have listened to Moose all day, what a voice.  And what a good friend he seemed to be and also seemed to help her stick to reality.  A little too many repetitions of "from my therapist" words, it was kind of uncomfortable.  But so glad she has a good place for her and for her dog as well.  

• Like 1
  • Love 9