Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Indianapolis, IN. I like that they were thinking about how owning a home does come with expenses they weren't used to on base. Too bad house #3 had that spa bathroom upstairs. If that house only had 1 floor, I think they would've picked it. But a new build will give them less upkeep worries.

• Love 3
On 12/8/2021 at 11:04 PM, Cetacean said:

Antiques, antiques, antiques, antiquies......

If that had been a drinking game, I'd be in a coma by now.

OMG! He was so annoying! Those "antiques" just looked like dated old furniture that for the most part was in bad condition. He seemed to be obsessing on them...I don't think I could handle that for more than 10 minutes let alone to live with full time. Grandma furniture that isn't family friendly nor comfortable but for some reason he had an attachment to the furniture that bordered on being unhealthy.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Indianapolis, IN. I like that they were thinking about how owning a home does come with expenses they weren't used to on base. Too bad house #3 had that spa bathroom upstairs. If that house only had 1 floor, I think they would've picked it. But a new build will give them less upkeep worries.

That house was fully furnished so I knew it wasn’t an option, but it made me wonder about the option of a chair lift for her. How much do those things cost?

• Love 3
10 hours ago, BrownBear2012 said:

OMG! He was so annoying! Those "antiques" just looked like dated old furniture that for the most part was in bad condition. He seemed to be obsessing on them...I don't think I could handle that for more than 10 minutes let alone to live with full time. Grandma furniture that isn't family friendly nor comfortable but for some reason he had an attachment to the furniture that bordered on being unhealthy.

Has he never heard of an estate sale? Does he want his kids living in a home or a museum? 

• Love 4
On 12/9/2021 at 11:45 PM, LittleIggy said:

That house was fully furnished so I knew it wasn’t an option, but it made me wonder about the option of a chair lift for her. How much do those things cost?

There are a lot of options with a chair lift.  One big cost can be a battery backup, so if the power goes out the chair isn't stuck in the middle of a flight of stairs.   Also, that was a long flight of stairs, so it would cost even more.   Also, the stairs must be a certain width to have a chair life railing and equipment, and still have room to use the stairs.      

I thought it was funny the couple and realtor kept talking about living on base being cheaper, because there isn't a base close to Indianapolis for years.    So, they either had to buy or rent.    

I like the Indianapolis area house they chose.    I didn't like the one with the main stuite on the second floor.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, deirdra said:

They are often the same people who complain about the costs of heating, cooling, utilities & property taxes.

Whenever they show houses that have the grand foyer or the main floor is open all the way to the attic I immediately think how difficult it’s going to be to heat and cool the place in addition to the cost. HH rarely talk about utilities cost. Isn’t that a standard discussion when buying a home??

2 hours ago, Pj3422 said:

Has he never heard of an estate sale? Does he want his kids living in a home or a museum? 

He was especially attached to them and wanted to create a family legacy though. I think having a couple of rooms where the kids aren’t allowed to play isn’t a big ask when they have the family room, their bedrooms, and the backyard to run around and destroy. I agree with the previous poster that he’s still in mourning for his mother. The furniture is the best he can do to maintain a connection to her.

I’m glad he was focused on the sentimental value and not the monetary value of the “antiques.” Great Grandma might’ve owned a Queen Anne couch but it’s still a replica she bought in 1950 when the kids moved out and she could afford it.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Kiddvideo said:

Whenever they show houses that have the grand foyer or the main floor is open all the way to the attic I immediately think how difficult it’s going to be to heat and cool the place in addition to the cost. HH rarely talk about utilities cost. Isn’t that a standard discussion when buying a home??

He was especially attached to them and wanted to create a family legacy though. I think having a couple of rooms where the kids aren’t allowed to play isn’t a big ask when they have the family room, their bedrooms, and the backyard to run around and destroy. I agree with the previous poster that he’s still in mourning for his mother. The furniture is the best he can do to maintain a connection to her.

I’m glad he was focused on the sentimental value and not the monetary value of the “antiques.” Great Grandma might’ve owned a Queen Anne couch but it’s still a replica she bought in 1950 when the kids moved out and she could afford it.

There have been a few HH who have discussed utilities as part of their storyline as well as some in Florida who have discussed high cost of insurance for flood areas. Also in Florida construction has been addressed in terms of masonry construction and hurricane proof windows. I would imagine not having to board your windows is a significant benefit. Even the shutters would be a drag - I remember before my parents got storm windows in my childhood home, it was a day in the Spring and Fall when each screen had to be taken off and put back on a window and each of them had to go with a specific window for the most part.

I think the Upstate New York guy was very clear that he had a lot of sentimental attachment to the furniture because he remembered the memories of it when growing up. I can relate because I got saddled with grandmother's and mother's vintage furniture and held on to too much of it because it had sentimental value and also I was too guilty to get rid of it. I finally was able to "release" the stuff that no longer worked but I still have a few pieces and when I focus on them I can see us all having various happy moments.

At some point Upstate NY guy might be willing to get rid of some that don't work for him but the house they chose worked for the whole family. Room to hold the "heirlooms" as well as casual space. And you are correct in terms of dollar value because he would find it hard to find anyone who would take that stuff for free because it is so unfashionable and doesn't work for today's lifestyle where most people don't have a formal living room that is used only for guests. 

There have been a few episodes where someone actually wanted a formal room and it was treated as another somewhat crazy HH desire. When I was growing up every middle class home had the living room that was used only for formal guests and the den/casual space that was used for every day living. Even poor people aspired to having a fancy space in their modest homes.

Edited by amarante
  • Love 2
41 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

Or taxes, insurance rates, or school systems.  All of that would play into my decision.

All of that seems to complicated in the producer's eyes. Whereas it seems every simpleton "knows" what meaningless terms like "modern farmhouse" mean and seems to find them vitally important. 

• LOL 4
16 hours ago, Cetacean said:

Or taxes, insurance rates, or school systems.  All of that would play into my decision.

I can kind of see why taxes and insurance rates wouldn’t come up on the show, since it focuses primarily on the people actually viewing the 3 potential homes. They’re likely not going to get those exact numbers regarding insurance and taxes until they get with the banker (or whoever they’re working with) and they run the potential monthly payment numbers for that particular house. I can see why that gets wrapped up in “budget,” although they are extremely important for anyone buying a home.

On the topic of utilities, insurance, and taxes though, I often wonder how many of these people who go way over budget end up in over their heads. It’s only one thing for the purchase price to be higher, but as noted by others, you have utilities and an escrow payment, all of which are usually  higher in bigger and more expensive homes.

• Love 2
On 12/10/2021 at 12:22 AM, BrownBear2012 said:

Yeah, does dated mean antiques? He was so annoying. I’m sure he realizes it won’t go with the rest of the stuff or style of the house. The first room they saw in one of the houses was planned to be an office but the wife appeasing the husband said he could put the stuff in that room. Basically, it was to shut him up. LOL!!!!! There aren’t many guys attached to old furniture that make such a stink over it. Then he wanted his grandmothers dinning room table in the house, too. Sorry, but it was old and ugly. I suggest one small thing to keep and treasure and sell the rest. It’s time to let it go.

• Love 5
20 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

All of that seems to complicated in the producer's eyes. Whereas it seems every simpleton "knows" what meaningless terms like "modern farmhouse" mean and seems to find them vitally important. 

I'd like to see a realtor take such people to a double-wide in the country and then say "This is what you asked for"

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Yeah, does dated mean antiques? He was so annoying. I’m sure he realizes it won’t go with the rest of the stuff or style of the house. The first room they saw in one of the houses was planned to be an office but the wife appeasing the husband said he could put the stuff in that room. Basically, it was to shut him up. LOL!!!!! There aren’t many guys attached to old furniture that make such a stink over it. Then he wanted his grandmothers dinning room table in the house, too. Sorry, but it was old and ugly. I suggest one small thing to keep and treasure and sell the rest. It’s time to let it go.

Actually, according to my Mom who is a big antiques person the pieces they showed looked to be of very good quality. True antiques, not just old furniture. 

• Love 4

Indianapolis

Just wanna smack people who want a home like the one they grew up in, Grandpa’s home. And this character has a wife and two children and he wanted “Brad space.” Man up, Brad,  and do like Grandpa did when he wanted “me time”. Grab the sports section and chill out on the toilet.

• Like 1
  • LOL 14
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, mojito said:

Just wanna smack people who want a home like the one they grew up in

Isn't this a relatively new trope?  I don't remember that being one of the criteria at the beginning of the series. 

It cracks me up that they want what they are familar with and then complain that the same era of house isn't open concept, have a bathroom for every bedroom, or doesn't have a walk in closet or bonus room.  Even as recently as 25 years ago, these were not common in every single home design.

• Love 8

In all my years of watching House Hunters, I’ve gone from looking at the houses: “Ooh, which one will they choose” to looking at the couples: “In the next few minutes, I will begin to hate one of you with the fire of a thousand suns. Who will it be?” 

• Like 1
  • LOL 16
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Pj3422 said:

In all my years of watching House Hunters, I’ve gone from looking at the houses: “Ooh, which one will they choose” to looking at the couples: “In the next few minutes, I will begin to hate one of you with the fire of a thousand suns. Who will it be?” 

I agree and I would watch an "are they still together?" episode at the end of every season.

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10
On 12/11/2021 at 12:04 PM, ByaNose said:

Agreed...when my in laws both passed away several years ago, father in law passed first and two years later mother in law passed, my husband, his brother and my oldest son cleaned out the house and gave away a lot to charity and then divided up the furniture, etc. My son wanted some furniture to fill up a room that was empty in the house he and his wife had just bought. My brother in law gave the dining room set to one of his daughters and the rest was given away. A few knick knack things we took. Most of their stuff wasn't really our style and wouldn't have worked in our home...unlike this husband, we realized that and didn't cling to these things and make it the focal point of a house hunt!

• Love 4
On 12/8/2021 at 7:24 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I suspect the Charleston area couple were looking for a right now house, not a forever house.    Either they're planning on building equity, looking at where they really want to live, and have a house for now.     Or maybe they intend to stay, start their family, get more experience for him, and then they move on to a higher paying position.   They might have picked the house for a good resale location.  

The are only two ways that I think the wood floors are dangerous, one is if you have mats or area rugs and the edge trips you (I know someone who broke her shoulders - one at a time, about a year apart, and claims she tripped on the edge of the area rug, the first time, and a runner the second), the second is if you run around in socks, and slip on the stairs, or the floor.     

I watched this episode on demand and it was cut off before I could see which house they had chosen...so which one did they choose?

7 hours ago, Cetacean said:

Isn't this a relatively new trope?  I don't remember that being one of the criteria at the beginning of the series. 

It cracks me up that they want what they are familar with and then complain that the same era of house isn't open concept, have a bathroom for every bedroom, or doesn't have a walk in closet or bonus room.  Even as recently as 25 years ago, these were not common in every single home design.

There have been people through the years that want a specific home, often what they grew up in, but others want a specific style that simply isn't available in that area.    I remember several look near Phoenix, that didn't want Spanish or colonial, or stucco, eliminating abot 99% of the homes if you stick to it.    Of course, since they already own the house, they probably will fake that they're settling, but get another style.     

The reruns this morning on HGTV were interesting.    They were looking for white kitchens, and the current trends.   The only one I really disliked was the house hunt for Fort Collins, where the wife wanted a million dollar plus custom house, for way less than half that price.  The husband kept saying that in a couple of years she would want the kitchen either gutted, or refaced, and change the counter tops, and back splash.   What a waste of money that would be.   

Yesterday's reruns on OWN were such a contrast since they were 2011 to 2015, when the trends were totally different.      

The Charleston couple bought the one closest to work, (at least that was the story on the show) with the adorable screened back porch, but also the smallest house they looked at.   I think it was a right now house, and with today's market they could look around, and eventually build or buy a bigger house, and then sell the one they just bought.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The Charleston couple bought the one closest to work, with the adorable screened back porch, but also the smallest house they looked at.   I think it was a right now house, and with today's market they could look around, and eventually build or buy a bigger house, and then sell the one they just bought.  

That couple buying in Charleston surprised me. None of the houses shown were in Charleston proper. One was across the Cooper River in Mount Pleasant and the house they bought was on Daniel Island, closer but also across the river. If I remember correctly, the third house was in North Charleston. Traffic in the city is a nightmare so if he's working at the VA Hospital or Medical University of SC Hospital the commute isn't what anyone would consider "close" to work. I did like the house they purchased.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Tonight's new one is with Albie Mushaney, who looks like Santa, and sells real estate, in the Portland, Oregon area.    He tells the house hunters how to decorate it for Christmas.    I think they had some a year or so ago with him too.    I think at the end he decorates the house for Christmas.    Unless I missed it, they only toured two houses, to leave time for the decorating, and other Christmas stuff. 

Moving from NW Arkansas to Portland, Oregon would certainly be sticker shock.   NW Arkansas has gone up in price, but compared to Portland, it's cheap.   One thing I dislike about this episode, and a lot of the others, is when family or friends take you in until you find a house, don't make little digs about being crowded, or how you need privacy, and how you can't wait to move out.   I'm sure the relatives are sick of being crowded in their own house.    

I think the story was the husband lost his job in NW Arkansas, so they moved to Portland for a new job.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Thought that the Salem Oregon couple were odd.  Fully expected her to be wearing flowers in her hair as her homage to the 60's and Flower Children. And can't decide if Evan was channeling his/her inner self.  Have to wonder about the back story here concerning them picking up and moving across the US.  Does he even have a job now?  But then, they can now commune  with Nature.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Moving from NW Arkansas to Portland, Oregon would certainly be sticker shock.   NW Arkansas has gone up in price, but compared to Portland, it's cheap.   One thing I dislike about this episode, and a lot of the others, is when family or friends take you in until you find a house, don't make little digs about being crowded, or how you need privacy, and how you can't wait to move out.   I'm sure the relatives are sick of being crowded in their own house.    

Exactly.  And the Oregon woman had the gall to make a disparaging remark about the stove where she and her family were staying.  What an ungrateful bitch.

• Love 6

I sure hope the Arkansas to Oregon dad has a new job since they just plunked down 700k for a house. And CrazyinAlabama, they did see 3 houses, the sloped roof with too small bedrooms, a 4 bed, and then the last one that they bought. The glass blowing was cool and a great idea for an ornament.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

I sure hope the Arkansas to Oregon dad has a new job since they just plunked down 700k for a house. And CrazyinAlabama, they did see 3 houses, the sloped roof with too small bedrooms, a 4 bed, and then the last one that they bought. The glass blowing was cool and a great idea for an ornament.

Thanks!    I only remember the first tiny bedroom house, and the last one they bought.    I remember Albie from other holiday themed episodes, and tonight's is supposed to be the same idea again.      I really enjoyed the glass blowing for the ornament too. 

• Love 1

I liked the chemical engineers in Cincinnati. Their requests were pretty standard given their price range though I was surprised to see an unfinished basement. Still glad they picked the 3rd house. They won’t be isolated after moving to a new area even if they have a shared area in back.

The father and daughter in Point Pleasant? I turned it off when the agent mentioned they’d been disagreeing about the other houses he’d shown them, and then she started telling Dad which walls to tear out in the first room in the first house. Will Your Highness be paying cash or credit? Add in her stuffy nasally voice and I decided life was too short.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

MY DVR did not record the Santa real estate agent episode, nor did it record the Arkansas to Portland, Oregon episode.  It did record the chemical engineers though.  I have it set to record first run episodes only, so it must have "thought" those 2 were reruns. 

I liked the house that the engineers bought.  Seemed to fit all of their needs, and they can always add another bedroom in the basement later.

Sort of a picky thing on my part, but I wish the wife had not said she was a chemical engineer until she had children and she quit her job to stay home.  She will always be a chemical engineer, but maybe not a practicing one.  She worked hard for that degree.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

I liked the chemical engineers in Cincinnati. Their requests were pretty standard given their price range though I was surprised to see an unfinished basement. Still glad they picked the 3rd house. They won’t be isolated after moving to a new area even if they have a shared area in back.

The father and daughter in Point Pleasant? I turned it off when the agent mentioned they’d been disagreeing about the other houses he’d shown them, and then she started telling Dad which walls to tear out in the first room in the first house. Will Your Highness be paying cash or credit? Add in her stuffy nasally voice and I decided life was too short.

I had to laugh at the first house, the wife said it wasn't open enough for her to watch the kids from the kitchen, then when they were in the living room, the wife said she liked defined spaces.     I liked the first house, but probably not the right fit for the family.   T

he second was amazing, but still too pricey and isolated, but they should have skipped the whining about the price being so high.   Also, depending on how far out the second house is, you'll have to arrange for driveway plowing, and maybe other things, and the maintenance could be an issue with that much property.  

The third was a good pick, but the husband can stop talking about privacy, if he wanted privacy then they should have bought number 2.   Also, that was the only house with the screened back porch, so that will be really useful.  

How often does the wife think the weather will be right for sitting outside on the front porch?  

I bet since the Oregon Christmas themed episodes are listed as Ho-Ho-Ho House Hunters, the cable guide doesn't know it's the same show. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I bet since the Oregon Christmas themed episodes are listed as Ho-Ho-Ho House Hunters, the cable guide doesn't know it's the same show. 

That must be why my DVR is ignoring them. I wondered why y'all had seen episodes that I didn't have recorded.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I had to laugh at the first house, the wife said it wasn't open enough for her to watch the kids from the kitchen, then when they were in the living room, the wife said she liked defined spaces.     I liked the first house, but probably not the right fit for the family.   T

he second was amazing, but still too pricey and isolated, but they should have skipped the whining about the price being so high.   Also, depending on how far out the second house is, you'll have to arrange for driveway plowing, and maybe other things, and the maintenance could be an issue with that much property.  

The third was a good pick, but the husband can stop talking about privacy, if he wanted privacy then they should have bought number 2.   Also, that was the only house with the screened back porch, so that will be really useful.  

How often does the wife think the weather will be right for sitting outside on the front porch?  

Those children were old enough that they didn't watching while she was in the kitchen and her voice was really grating.

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, cameron said:

Those children were old enough that they didn't watching while she was in the kitchen and her voice was really grating.

All parents should be old enough to know that you shouldn't be watching your children while you're in the kitchen. You should be watching the food, fire, knives, boiling water etc. 

• Love 7

Arkansas. The mother was aware she'd be on tv when she picked out her clothes? Lose the belt, lose the shorts. Kind of agree with what mom is saying but not with how she says it. And the Valley girl accent of the daughter is driving me crazy. Why does she want a huge backyard? If she wants to meet other young people, she has to live near a city, which won't have a big yard. I can't believe she picked that one.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

Arkansas. The mother was aware she'd be on tv when she picked out her clothes? Lose the belt, lose the shorts. Kind of agree with what mom is saying but not with how she says it. And the Valley girl accent of the daughter is driving me crazy. Why does she want a huge backyard? If she wants to meet other young people, she has to live near a city, which won't have a big yard. I can't believe she picked that one.

Every time she said “thot,” I winced! 😬

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Think that the latest episode of House Hunters Ho, Ho, Ho was actually shot in summer.  40 days to Christmas in Salem, Oregon and they were dressed like it was summer time.  Thought the whole thing was kind of phony.  Haven't enjoyed watching these segments.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 11/9/2021 at 11:25 PM, ByaNose said:

I didn’t like the house they picked because the garage was huge and you could barely see the house.

I didn't like that either, but that style of house is very big in housing developments in Delaware, especially when you get away from the Wilmington area and farther downstate.  I drove past what seemed like a billion of them on the way to the beach in September.

On 11/11/2021 at 2:41 PM, Crashcourse said:

lso, Chicago is known for deep dish pizza

That's not pizza - it's freaking casserole.  (I hate Chicago deep-dish pizza, can you tell? lol)

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 11/13/2021 at 2:49 PM, Dehumidifier said:

Too bad they'll be selling three years from now when the WFH changes and covid flight have settled down.

That part of Delaware was a hot housing market before covid, and will probably continue to be for quite some time.  Doesn't mean the parents will sell for a profit, but there's a very good chance they will, especially in the Dover area.

The Arkansas episode has some funny stuff in it.   When looking at the second house, the fact it's out in the country came up, with all of the maintenance the flowers and plants will need, and bugs and snakes were mentioned.   Then, the daughter says there are five species of dangerous snakes in the area, and a pop up says six species, and names them.    

Then when the daughter buys that house, her mother is sitting in a bunch of weeds, so I guess she wasn't worried about snakes, or poison ivy.   

The mother was a pain.   

I just wonder what the houses look like on the Christmas theme shows, after they remove all of the inside and outside decorations?  I'm hoping the show have everything removed, because you know the filming couldn't have been near the holidays.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4

Moving to Arkansas in order to have a large bug infested back yard is way down on my list of wants. I don't have any kind of interest in gardening but doing that kind of yard work in the hot steamy summer with gnats and other bugs flying around my eyes is beyond not. appealing.

I also have no desire to buy a home as a 30 year old and have a roommate.

And a triple pox on the idiocy of daughter, mother AND realtor calling a standard single bowl sink a farmhouse sink. As we all know a farmhouse sink is one that has an "apron" front on it. It is now just a style of sink but when it was initially used in older kitchens it had a functional purpose in terms of being deep enough to handle the kind of prep and cooking done in those times.

• Love 11
14 hours ago, Grizzly said:

I thought the same thing. I think those outfits were her trying to be stylish. In fact, neither of them would win any "best dressed" awards. And yeah, the "Valley Girl" speaking voice, yikes.

I saw at the end the mom was the one grubbing around in the backyard. I wonder if the daughter knew her mom would do all the work for her.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, amarante said:

I also have no desire to buy a home as a 30 year old and have a roommate.

I can kind of see that, maybe, but at one point (and I admit I was only kind of watching because she annoyed me and I was afraid one more "northwest Arkansas" was going to send me over the edge), her mother said that at one house she would have to have a family with kids as roommates upstairs, and I don't think it was a separate unit.

15 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Lose the belt,

Burn that belt.  What was she thinking??

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
  • Love 4