Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: All In The Name of Love/S01.E02: Embargos and Ultimatums/S01.E03: It's Go Time

• Start Topic

(edited)

The Americans on this show seem dimmer than the ones n the other franchises, which is saying something! They seem more desperate and willfully ignorant. Cory is a nice-looking Guy, and seems so sweet. He could do a lot better than Evil-lyn. I think he’s the one I feel the worst for (also, his poor mom!). I like Laura, too, but does she really believe that an attractive, 29 year-old is in this for the right reason? As for Jenny, I hope she comes back, for her family’s sake. 

Edited by 7isBlue
  • Love 8
(edited)

I’m not buying what Sumit is selling. I dated a guy from the Mumbai area and family is everything. He introduced me to his Mom on the first date. We were supposed to go out for coffee, but he did the ole, “ I got to pick something up at my apartment first.”  There was his Mom with a big Indian meal ready for us. It was delicious.  Anyway, there is no way Sumit is gonna  lie to his parents about moving out in order to live with an older woman from America. Something else is going on but I don’t know what it is. 😝 probably it’s some TLC producer driven drama. 

Also, how did Laura get so lucky to retire at 51?  I’m jealous. 

Edited by Barbara Please
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 12
On 6/9/2019 at 6:21 PM, Ellie Godfrey said:

She's not giving up or losing her citizenship. Americans move to other countries all the time without the requirement to surrender their citizenship.

Aren't there limits on visas, though? You can't just move to another country indefinitely. My fil's second wife is Argentinian and he spends half the year there. He can only get a 90 day visa, so when he stays longer he crosses into another South American country then comes back in to re-set the clock. I don't know whether you can just keep doing that- he wants to be in the US for the summer here anyway. I know he collects social security.

His wife seemed to get her dual citizenship right after they married, which was ~30 years ago.

• Love 1

It depends upon whether there was a baggage embargo to Ecuador at the time Evelin traveled; I'm assuming not, because nothing was mentioned in the show.

Fuel surcharges are completely different than baggage embargoes.

Baggage embargoes:

Hot air is lighter/thinner/less dense than cold air. The hotter the temperature, the more distance/runway length is needed for takeoffs and landings (less resistance).

And...

...the heavier the total weight of a flight, the more distance/runway length is needed for takeoffs and landings.

Weight of empty aircraft + weight of cargo + weight of fuel + weight of passengers* = total weight of flight.

Due to these factors, baggage embargoes are usually put in place during periods of hot weather, especially to cities that are popular tourist destination during high season (the flights will be full) - if that city's airport has shorter runways. In most cases, the duration of a baggage embargo is 30 days.

*Weight of passengers: this is based on an average per passenger** X the number of passengers, because airlines typically don't weigh each passenger or ask each passenger how much they weigh.

Interesting anecdote: several decades ago I was vacationing in Puerto Rico with a friend. We decided to hop over to St. Thomas for a day. The aircraft used between San Juan/St. Thomas were small prop planes seating about 10 passengers. Each passenger was asked how much they weighed prior to boarding, as that influenced where they were seated on the aircraft, so the plane would be balanced, front to back and side to side!

**Fun fact: between 1995 - 2002, the average (adult) passenger weight used by airlines for weight and balance calculations was 180 lbs. per passenger in summer, 185 lbs. in winter. In 2003, the FAA increased those weights by 10 lbs. (190 lbs. summer/195 lbs. winter). IDK if those have been increased since then.

Fascinating article regarding aircraft, weights, and weather:

Weight Estimates on Air Passengers Will Be Increased

• Useful 9
  • Love 5
On 6/9/2019 at 12:23 PM, itsadryheat said:

Maybe it's me, but I never seem to see anything "extended".

Appears the same episode, with idiot me watching a second time.

The only thing I ever see "extended" is Nicole's arse "extending" every episode.  

I can't keep up with how TLC airs all of the various episodes/franchises, either.  I just rely on my trusty PTV'ers here to post about the shit and then I track it down  😄  

• LOL 7
  • Love 4
10 minutes ago, Persnickety1 said:

I can't keep up with how TLC airs all of the various episodes/franchises, either.  I just rely on my trusty PTV'ers here to post about the shit and then I track it down  😄  

All of the links to the spinoff forums and topics are listed in the "Read Me Before Posting."

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 3:13 PM, Drogo said:

Please discuss the main show and its spinoffs in their own forums. 

• "90 Day Fiance" for the mothership of K1 Visa-ness, located here.
  • "Happily Ever After" to catch up with past couples, located here.
  • "Before the 90 Days" to introduce couples meeting for the first time, located here.
  • "The Other Way" to watch the whole mess backwards, located here.
  • "What Now?" to catch up with even more past couples, located here.
  • "Pillow Talk" to hear old couples talk about current couples, located here. 

Live chats (chatting while the episodes are airing) should occur for all 90DF shows in the Rice-A-Roni & Google Translate Live Chat Thread.

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Drogo said:

All of the links to the spinoff forums and topics are listed in the "Read Me Before Posting."

Oh, I mean the TLC network itself and how they air these franchises.  My DVR is a hot mess of episodes across all of the franchises, and the way they tack a new hour onto a previous aired hour just confuses the hell out of me.  I finally had to come here to see where a poster explained the madness behind TLC's airing.  That's why I come here to see if I need to go re-watch any of the "new" episodes on my DVR, just in case I missed something.  TV viewing should not be akin to Where's Waldo.  Ugh.  

Why, TLC, why???   

• Love 10
6 hours ago, Barbara Please said:

Also, how did Laura get so lucky to retire at 51?  I’m jealous. 

I seriously doubt she is 51. Her son said later that she will be 75 when Aladin will be 45. That is 30 years difference. Which means she is 59 and is laying about her age. I guess she forgot to inform her son about age she intended to use for the show.

Actually that was my first thought - about how she is able to retire at 51 and second was that women can't be only 3 years older than me and is laying LOL

• Useful 4
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, poeticlicensed said:

I thought Laura said she was going to Qatar? Is Aladin from Qatar or Tunisa? They aren't even close geographically.

He is from Tunisia but works and live in Qatar.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Corey is so terrified of shots his mama has to hold his 32 year old hand? Gawd. 

I couldn't believe that scene! Except for children under about 8 to 10, I've never had a patient act anywhere nearly like that, and I've had plenty who feared needles. Then he lays on the floor in a swoon for several minutes afterward! Cowabunga!

• LOL 10
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Aaaaaand, here's another Tunisian Love Rat! These ladies never learn!

Corey is so terrified of shots his mama has to hold his 32 year old hand? Gawd.

Speaking of mamas, Pole's gave him another lock of her hair. I. Am. Dead.

I used to work in a lab and some of the biggest strongest guys were scared to death about getting blood drawn. One HS guy needed his mom to hold his hand. 

40 minutes ago, ava111 said:

I seriously doubt she is 51. Her son said later that she will be 75 when Aladin will be 45. That is 30 years difference. Which means she is 59 and is laying about her age. I guess she forgot to inform her son about age she intended to use for the show.

Actually that was my first thought - about how she is able to retire at 51 and second was that women can't be only 3 years older than me and is laying LOL

51 would make her younger than me and she looks like she could be my mom. I call bull. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
32 minutes ago, ava111 said:

He is from Tunisia but works and live in Qatar.

Hoo boy, so he's a guest worker in Qatar. Just wait till Laura gets there and gets a load of what her living conditions will be. That place is pretty bad for non citizens working there. They have virtually no protections and are exploited. And I will go out on a limb and guess that he works construction or as a service employee of some kind, not as a "personal trainer". He must have his eyes on her social security. 

3 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

51 would make her younger than me and she looks like she could be my mom. I call bull. 

When she said she was 51 I believe I actually screamed. If she's 51, I am the Queen of Romania.

And seriously? Her 21 year old son goes with her to Bingo?

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

I wonder if it would make a bit of a difference if some of the women were better groomed - flattering hairstyle, makeup, nice clothes, shoes, etc. Also higher education level, articulate. Perhaps the younger men would find that attractive and not some convoluted scheme/scam.

• Love 2
(edited)
18 minutes ago, renatae said:

I couldn't believe that scene! Except for children under about 8 to 10, I've never had a patient act anywhere nearly like that, and I've had plenty who feared needles. Then he lays on the floor in a swoon for several minutes afterward! Cowabunga!

We've had patients like that.  Had one guy who laughed hysterically (and I mean hysterically) when getting a needle.  My colleague had one who had to be lying down for his needle procedure (shoulder arthrogram), when he sat up he started laughing hysterically then projectile vomited........

I've seen plenty of women who were needle phobic but who could be stoic.  Its the guys who had the most dramatic phobias to needles.

So, I'll cut Corey some slack.  BUT, I do question if he was raised by doomsday preppers or something.  The parents property was........a tad scary.  I live in the PNW so I know cabins in the woods, but all the junk and debris they had around?  Weird.

Edited by Horrified
  • Love 8

So maybe this was just me, but when Aladin was asking about the 21 year old son and if he was going to come live with them too, I thought maybe he was ultimately more interested in the son than Laura... Just a thought...

• Useful 9
  • LOL 1
29 minutes ago, Horrified said:

I've seen plenty of women who were needle phobic but who could be stoic.  Its the guys who had the most dramatic phobias to needles.

Heh. Same guys who faint dead away while their wives are pushing out a 9 pound baby.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, DeeReynolds said:

So maybe this was just me, but when Aladin was asking about the 21 year old son and if he was going to come live with them too, I thought maybe he was ultimately more interested in the son than Laura... Just a thought...

That is entirely possible! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
31 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

I wonder if it would make a bit of a difference if some of the women were better groomed - flattering hairstyle, makeup, nice clothes, shoes, etc. Also higher education level, articulate. Perhaps the younger men would find that attractive and not some convoluted scheme/scam.

Not so much in her case. She looks older than Jenny who is 60. 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Drogo said:

Our prayers have been answered.  There will no longer be four/five 90DF shows on your homepage. 

Thank you for organizing them

• Love 15
6 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Not so much in her case. She looks older than Jenny who is 60. 

She's been around the block....many times.

Jenny has been raising her daughters and daughters family and just realized that life has passed her by and now she needs to play catch up

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, TMI said:

She's been around the block....many times.

Jenny has been raising her daughters and daughters family and just realized that life has passed her by and now she needs to play catch up

that is it, while Jenny, while older, has a softer look to her. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Mommy gave him a lock of her hair!    What is this Victorian England?    Paul is too immature to have a wife, kids, or a grown up job.   I'm not seeing a decent future for Paul.    

Does Sumit really think he'll never run into anyone who knows him, or some how he won't be found out?     I know Gurgaon is just under a million people, but when you're trying to hide the secret that you still live there with Jenny, and got married, then he's going to get caught.  I know from past experience, that when you don't think you'll run into anyone you know, you almost always will.  

I think when there's an embargo, you can only take so much luggage with you, but you can ship the rest on cargo with a cargo only airline.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5

Jenny's hair looked really sad by the time she got to India. She should have at least put it up or something so it didn't look so stringy and oily. And what was with her changing the pronunciation of Sumit? She went from Sum-it to Sum-ee. Did someone school her on Indian names on the plane?

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 6:28 PM, sasha206 said:

What is "legitimate time" though?  They have still spent substantive time in a long distance relationship.  It bodes better than the other 90DayFers if they have spent months at a time together.  But I think people in long-distance relationships tend to romanticize what it will be like when they are finally together and gloss over all those real, relationship breaking issues like criminal backgrounds, addictions, financial issues, child rearing/parenting issues.  

And arson! Don't forget the arson!

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 12:26 PM, zillabreeze said:

My antique DVR is about to burst into flames trying to sort this mess out. 

If there is anything "new" in the '"expanded" versions, it must be more commercials for little weird, polyamorous housewives with twenty children, popping each other's zits.

Bahahahaha! I need to get on board with that there show!

If my mom decided to uproot her life to go to the other side of the planet I'd have to have her declared incompetent. I'm all for love and blah blah blah but Sumit is half her age, from a completely different culture and you just know he's in no way prepared to take on his family in this matter. It should've been done ages before she even got on a plane much less on the same day he's supposed to go pick her up. I'd be sick and livid that my mom got abandoned at the airport and just as angry at her for carrying through on the whole thing.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Drogo said:

Our prayers have been answered.  There will no longer be four/five 90DF shows on your homepage. 

There is now ONE 90 Day Fiance forum, and within it everything is accessible: the live chat, links for each of the spinoffs, and all of the couples threads. 

onvClick here to check it c.  

Thank you!!  It is now brilliantly simple and straightforward!

• Love 12
44 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Mommy gave him a lock of her hair!    What is this Victorian England?    Paul is too immature to have a wife, kids, or a grown up job.   I'm not seeing a decent future for Paul.    

Does Sumit really think he'll never run into anyone who knows him, or some how he won't be found out?     I know Gurgaon is just under a million people, but when you're trying the secret that you still live there with Jenny, then he's going to get caught.  

At least Momma gave him an actual lock of hair, not the leavings from her hairbrush. Seriously though. Who does this? Besides 15 year old girls who have read too many English novels, to their deeply embarrassed boyfriends, anyway. A lock of hair and a locket?

I thought the same thing about Sumit. He and his family have lived in that town for who knows how long. It is just a matter of time before someone sees him. I smell some producer manipulation. Just a hunch.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, 7isBlue said:

The Americans on this show seem dimmer than the ones n the other franchises, which is saying something! They seem more desperate and willfully ignorant. Cory is a nice-looking Guy, and seems so sweet. He could do a lot better than Evil-lyn. I think he’s the one I feel the worst for (also, his poor mom!). I like Laura, too, but does she really believe that an attractive, 29 year-old is in this for the right reason? As for Jenny, I hope she comes back, for her family’s sake. 

As long as these adults are legally competent, and they have made their decisions without duress (no gun to their head), then, I have no pity for them.  They will get what a normal person would expect, which is a big old dose of disappointment, before the ink is dry on the marriage license. These very kind ladies, of a certain age--not old, but, mature) who think that a young man is really all crazy over them are rather sad.  Unless, you are really wealthy and can support the young man financially, it's probably not going to endure for long.  I think most women get that. 

I haven't decided about Smit yet.  He seemed so frightened of his family.  Do you think they might physically harm him?  Or worse, outcast him?  It does happen.  So, what's in this for him?If he doesn't want to come to the US, why does he need to marry a US citizen?

Did anyone have to sign for these people to be supported in their respective countries, the way those who come to America do? 

The woman with a child does bother me.  Adults without children are free to expose themselves to any dangers they want, but, for a young child too......OMG.  So foolish and risky.  There are no words for that.   When this woman is talking about her fiance, her eyes seem to say, this is BAD...Really bad.  She looks guilty, even. 

• Love 12
51 minutes ago, Drogo said:

tumblr_mhozr42NTt1s3q4m3o2_500.gif&key=6

I feel like this picture of Pole's farm work is important here, too.

Is that the scene from "What's Eating Gilbert Grape?" in which the kids burn down their house with their morbidly obese dead mother's body inside, rather than dealing with the difficulty/embarrassment of having her body removed from the home?

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Drogo said:

I love this reminder just because the title of the Live Chat thread truly shows how far we’ve come. Karine was able to yell at Paul in English without the aid of any translator app!

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

@TwirlyGirly it is. 

Spoiler

But I believe the reasoning is because they wanted their mother to keep the dignity she felt she had lost- not to avoid any embarrassment or work for themselves.

38 minutes ago, nutella fitzgerald said:

the title of the Live Chat thread truly shows how far we’ve come. Karine was able to yell at Paul in English without the aid of any translator app!

Our babies is all growed up now.

"POLE YOU LIE, STOP LIE POLE"

• LOL 13
  • Love 6
47 minutes ago, GoGamecox said:

Anyone else get a gay vibe from Corey? Just me then?

Not all wussy mamma's boys are gay.  Please see Pole and Colt.  To me, Corey is just sweet, hopeful, and dumb.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, nutella fitzgerald said:

I love this reminder just because the title of the Live Chat thread truly shows how far we’ve come. Karine was able to yell at Paul in English without the aid of any translator app!

But what kills me is that Karine learned English, despite living in Brazil, while Pole only learned to buy bullet proof baby carriers.

• LOL 7
  • Love 8
On 6/7/2019 at 12:53 PM, Dmarie019 said:

I'm what I like to call a 'fine-reader".  I read everything. I read the fine print. I read the shit on the posters hanging in the bathroom stalls. I read coupon fine print. But the majority of the population just don't.

I was at Petrified National Forest, and not until I read this thing hanging on the inside of the bathroom stall did I realize I didn't know exactly what these petrified things I was looking at were made of.  Thank you, National Park Service.

On 6/7/2019 at 3:24 PM, Christina said:

He didn't want to try and figure out what was in which container while at the airport and since the rep said he could take all of it with him at a later date, he cancelled that ticket and received a refund less a fee.

Yep.  He told his mother that he couldn't just pick two containers to take with him because he didn't know what was in each box and everything was crammed in tight.  Lord help me, it kind of made sense.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Kangatush said:

But what kills me is that Karine learned English, despite living in Brazil, while Pole only learned to buy bullet proof baby carriers.

I guess Amazon really does have everything.  Just for shits and giggles, I searched for a bulletproof baby carrier and yep, a model identical to Pol's is there.  $143.00.  However, the description DOES NOT say it's bulletproof.  I may have missed it, but I don't think so.  I can't post the link on my tablet or I would.

This begs the question.  If it's the same one, did Pol even read the description?  Just the description Bulletproof Baby Carrier is such an oxymoron that it just blows what little mind I have left.  

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Drogo said:

There is now ONE 90 Day Fiance forum, and within it everything is accessible: the live chat, links for each of the spinoffs, and all of the couples threads. 

Click here to check it out.  

I wish there were a "worship at your feet" button to thank you for this yeoman's work. We're not worthy...

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
(edited)
On 6/6/2019 at 10:24 AM, zillabreeze said:

Sounds like a win-win.

I'll drive way past bladder burst time to get to a QT.   

Back to Pole- $26k is probably out of reach.  He clearly "ain't right" in the head with seething anger just waiting to explode.  Maybe his poor mother is secretly wishing he would move far, far away.  Why doesn't she just ship his extra crap?

I was also wondering when he was yammering on about needing all this baby stuff..  is this the first baby ever born in Brazil?  Do they all just linger in the womb till their American products show up?

Well, they are unlikely to have that necessity of all necessities: A bulletproof Baby Bjorn.  I don’t know how I got along without one!

Edited by KariLois
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

At least Momma gave him an actual lock of hair, not the leavings from her hairbrush. Seriously though. Who does this? Besides 15 year old girls who have read too many English novels, to their deeply embarrassed boyfriends, anyway. A lock of hair and a locket?

I thought the same thing about Sumit. He and his family have lived in that town for who knows how long. It is just a matter of time before someone sees him. I smell some producer manipulation. Just a hunch.

I kept thinking about Sumit’s two friends. The look of absolute WTF on their faces. They have been so indoctrinated as to the workings of marriage and relationships that the idea that their friend is going to go against all of it is almost incomprehensible. I did like how one guy said that “she’s going to need you just like a newborn baby” Neither said anything negative about Jenny on a personal level. Just that there is no way he can keep this a secret. I can only imagine how the local gossip mill is going to go crazy over a 30 yr old guy living with a  60+ white woman from the US. If he doesn’t tell his family, big city or not, the gossip machine will within a very short time.

Sumit is thirty. I wonder why his parents haven’t already arranged a marriage for him. The brother is married. 

• Love 13
7 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

As long as these adults are legally competent, and they have made their decisions without duress (no gun to their head), then, I have no pity for them.  They will get what a normal person would expect, which is a big old dose of disappointment, before the ink is dry on the marriage license. These very kind ladies, of a certain age--not old, but, mature) who think that a young man is really all crazy over them are rather sad.  Unless, you are really wealthy and can support the young man financially, it's probably not going to endure for long.  I think most women get that. 

I haven't decided about Smit yet.  He seemed so frightened of his family.  Do you think they might physically harm him?  Or worse, outcast him?  It does happen.  So, what's in this for him?If he doesn't want to come to the US, why does he need to marry a US citizen?

Did anyone have to sign for these people to be supported in their respective countries, the way those who come to America do? 

The woman with a child does bother me.  Adults without children are free to expose themselves to any dangers they want, but, for a young child too......OMG.  So foolish and risky.  There are no words for that.   When this woman is talking about her fiance, her eyes seem to say, this is BAD...Really bad.  She looks guilty, even. 

That's my biggest problem with all of these 90 Day Fers --- whether they are coming here or going the other way.  I don't understand how any of these women can expose their children to someone they barely know because the are just sooooo in love.  I've been dating my high school crush for a long time and I still haven't introduced him to my 17 year-old daughter and he's a wonderful guy.  How do you bring someone into their lives that you barely know, especially with criminal records and addictions?  Not to mention, they have no leg to stand on when their teen comes to them and decides to make an impulsive decision because they are just soooo in love.

I also don't understand how Jenny and the other one can jet off to another country to live.  Jenny with all of those precious grandkids?  I know there are tons of grandparents that have to board planes to see their grandkids but I sure wouldn't want to live on another continent with basically a stranger.  

• Love 12