Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E03: The Long Night

Message added by Meredith Quill

Reminder:

All preview talk must be under spoiler tags.

• Start Topic

Let me just say:  I love this show.  Addicted to it.   But I have nowhere near the level of knowledge, understanding and background that most of you have.   So I ask a question:   Last season, didn't Tyrion have a 'secret' meeting with Cersei after Dany, Jon and the dragons showed her the wight?   Do we know everything that they actually discussed?   Did Tyrion know that Cersei was not going to be sending any armies to help in this battle?  Whose side is he really on?   And I ask this as a fervent Tyrion fan.   I do not want him to be deemed a traitor.   Right now my head is still spinning after this episode and I can't think straight.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Leroux said:

I hope for both. Sansa has already told Dany that she should have thanked her the moment she arrived, so on that end, she has already acknowledged that Dany with her armies and dragons have helped not only the North but the whole realm. 

The WW was never a problem of just the North, they were the first ones on the line of fire it is true but Daenerys claims to be the protector of the whole realm so it is fitting that she was doing her job to protect the realm. 

I do hope that Arya receives the recognition she deserves, that they all know that it was a Stark who killed the NK, the North gets to be proud. I also hope they sing songs about the bravery of Lady Mormont and Theon Greyjoy. Also Jorah Mormont. They all made this possible. 

I agree. It was definitely a team effort but it wasn't just the lives of the North that was at stake. The Northerners played a huge part in saving the entire realm.

• Love 13
8 minutes ago, Lady S. said:

Now that Arya is the Nightkingslayer, I find it unlikely she'll get Cersei too. That should be Jaime's job, else I don't see why he got to survive.

I don't see how Jaime could get close to her now. She even sent Bronn to kill him. Best guess is once again Arya, she just needs a good face. Qyburn or Euron are probably the only ones that won't have to fight their way through to her, and out of those two Qyburn should be a lott less heavily guarded and easier to reach. And it can't be Bronn, because Jerome Flynn and Lene Headey won't share any scenes. 

• Love 3

I actually did not start watching until season 6 so thankfully I have not had years of this White Walker mess. I am not sure it is over. I actually thought he and Bran were about to embrace, or after he was killed bran would then have blue eyes.  I hope it is over and so glad it was not the entire last season.  It was so boring and stupid. There was no reason for the Night King to expose himself and he could have had his dead run them over, kill everyone, then go to Bran. 

• Love 2
Just now, ShellsandCheese said:

This episode just solidified my love for the Unsullied. Easily one of the MVP’s of this episode, along with Arya and Melisandre. Everyone had their part to play, but if you remove any of those three it is game over for Westeros. 

Don't forget the Giant Killer!  Just imagine how many people that Giant could have taken out..and Jorah keeping Dany alive

• Love 9
10 minutes ago, Constantinople said:

i don't understand why the Night King was so preoccupied with Bran

I don't remember where I recently read this, but since Bran is the three eyed raven, he possesses the history of the entire world and the only way the NK could gain true dominance is to wipe out the history of all that came before.   I'm not sure that even makes any sense, but that's what I read, and it least it gave me and answer, of sorts.

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, Jextella said:

Bran told Jaimie that if he hadn't pushed him out the window, Jaimie would be the old Jaimie, and Bran would be Bran and not the 3-Eyed Raven.

It seems Jamie's push is what set all future events of the show in motion where the Starks and Lanisters are concerned.  

No what first set these events in motion was Tywin fertilizing two eggs in his wife's womb that would grow into creepy incestuous twins.

• LOL 12
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, Ladyrain said:

Last season, didn't Tyrion have a 'secret' meeting with Cersei after Dany, Jon and the dragons showed her the wight?   Do we know everything that they actually discussed?   Did Tyrion know that Cersei was not going to be sending any armies to help in this battle?  Whose side is he really on?

He did go to her for a private conversation after she abandoned the dragon pits following Jon's refusal to swear fealty to her.  No one knows what all was discussed, but Tyrion seemed pretty surprised she didn't show with her army.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Jaded Sapphire said:

This line prompted a bit of a thought exercise at my place. If Theon hadn't betrayed Rob, he likely would have died at the Red Wedding but also Theon wouldn't have taken over Winterfell forcing Bran to flee north....and become the 3 Eyed Raven.

Yup, it's what Bran was getting at last week with Jamie as well- had he not pushed Bran out the window it's possible neither would've been set down the paths they're on- Bran as the TER and Jamie (supposedly) finding redemption, honor, and a healthier kind of love in Brienne.

For every chosen one hero is a chosen one 'villain' or instrument of fate through which the 'necessary' cruel/extreme acts are done in order to push towards a bigger picture better outcome. Theon and Jamie had their roles to play and suffered terrible consequences but also brought them closer to better, truer, more honest people. They've both come out truly knowing themselves and knowing the true meaning of honor, loyalty, and love. 

• Love 8

I hope the North warms up to Dany now that she has sacrificed most of her armies plus a dragon (or two?) to defend the living.

All the wights have blue eyes, so I don't think the prophecy about Arya really gave anything away.

Bran told Theon that everything he had done led him to this moment.  I thought Theon was going to say "Yeah, but I'd still have my genitals".

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, GodsBeloved said:

I agree. It was definitely a team effort but it wasn't just the lives of the North that was at stake. The Northerners played a huge part in saving the entire realm.

Absolutely!! 

The whole realm owes the North a huge debt of gratitude. As much as I give Jon crap for being too rushed I do have to give him credit where credit is due. Jon was the first and almost only one who tried to tell everyone about this big threat and most of them took their sweet time believing him. He brought a lot of factions together otherwise this battle would have been lost before it started. For that, I think Jon's job is done. This was his mission and he was instrumental even if he didn't throw the last blow. 

If this didn't end the way it did, all the dead soldiers would have increased the AOTD by the ten of thousands making them unstoppable. from there to every single part of the realm, especially knowing that dragon-fire couldn't kill the NK. Terrifying if you ask me. 

Now onto bigger and better. I am hoping the new coalition can defeat Cersei quickly and swiftly.  

• Love 24
50 minutes ago, LadyChaos said:

Why? All they did was hide as talk about how they never would have worked out and continued to hide while everyone around them died.

That is what they do, they hide and talk about things.

• LOL 8
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, rmontro said:

All the wights have blue eyes, so I don't think the prophecy about Arya really gave anything away.

As does Melisandre herself.

tumblr_oarv6g6AQB1uxyidco1_250.gif

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, Leroux said:

Now onto bigger and better. I am hoping the new coalition can defeat Cersei quickly and swiftly.  

There are three episodes left, so it's probably not going to be too swiftly.  I do hope we get a mostly happy ending though.

There's a lot of talk about Jon Snow not doing much, and that seems to be true.  But he did do a good job of keeping the ice dragon distracted while everything else was going on  🙂

6 minutes ago, Giselle said:
58 minutes ago, LadyChaos said:

Why? All they did was hide as talk about how they never would have worked out and continued to hide while everyone around them died.

That is what they do, they hide and talk about things.

Watching Sansa and Tyrion laying there waiting to die made me realize Titanic would have been worse if Jack and Rose both fit on top of that floating door. 

Except this would be like Rose having an inflatable life raft and heat lamp in her pocket she just wasn't using. 

• LOL 12
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Growsonwalls said:

I don't know if Kit Harington just isn't strong enough of an actor to portray the kind of intense emotions required for an episode like this

He's a one-note actor. I binge-watched the entire series before the premiere, and Jon is supposed to have been changed since he was brought back from the dead, but Harington plays him exactly the same way the last 2.5 seasons as in the first 6 seasons, so you'd never know he's allegedly different. He's lucky he's so pretty or fans would notice more. But I think of what could have been if they had cast someone with the range of, say, Alfie Allen, in one of the most pivotal roles of the series. Emilia Clarke isn't the greatest actress either but at least she can hit more than one note.

Careful viewers have noted there never really was any evidence that the Night King was focused on Jon. In their alleged stare-offs, Jon was always with other people. Bran noted in the last episode that the Night King was at Winterfell to get Bran. Jon wasn't anything more than another human to the Night King, and it isn't surprising in that light that someone else got the kill. Yay Arya!

Sansa has been my guess to end up ruling (along with Tyrion) and I was disappointed with her in this episode. I expected her to take and apply some lessons from the similar situation in Battle of the Blackwater, but despite being Lady of Winterfell she did nothing at all in the crypts to help keep up people's spirits or whatever. Even Cersei managed a bare minimum, in keeping up appearances even though she actually expected the worst. All Sansa can do is whine about Dany, and I was thrilled when Missandei smacked her down. It takes a lot of fucking nerve to complain about the woman whose armies and dragons she needs to first fight the army of the dead, and then to fight Cersei afterwards (since Cersei has no intention of ceding the North). If Littlefinger were around, he'd advise Sansa to at least not show her hand so obviously, not while she still needs Dany to do the fighting; Dany could always die in the final war, after all. It's like as soon as Sansa got Winterfell, she started forgetting everything she learned about political smarts.

• Love 23
8 hours ago, Brn2bwild said:

This feels like the part of the horror movie where we think the baddie is dead... right before the baddie rises again one last time.

We still don't know what those spiral symbols mean... and there are one million fresh bodies in King's Landing.  Jon may be the one who finishes off the Night King yet.

Supposedly, the night king is using the Children of the Forest’s sacred symbols in a mockery of their true meaning as a way of being spiteful.  I doubt we’ll get to find out what they originally meant to the children.

Edited by MarySNJ
Spelling
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, ShellsandCheese said:

This episode just solidified my love for the Unsullied. Easily one of the MVP’s of this episode, along with Arya and Melisandre. Everyone had their part to play, but if you remove any of those three it is game over for Westeros. 

Not sure about Melisandre. She was pretty awesome and made the episode look a lot more spectacular, but the Dothraki were cannon fodder even with burning swords (visually stunning cannon fodder, but still) and the lighting up the moat bought them a couple of minutes at best. Okay, she did give Arya the idea to kill the NK but again, that was more for the audience - Arya is hardly so dumb that she couldn't figure out to maybe try and kill the enemy they've lured into a trap? 

So for me, Mel is still on the MVPs, but more because she had scenes, less because of her actual impact. Other MVPs: Theon, last man standing in the courtyard, succumbing only to the NK himself after a last heroic charge. And Arya, of course - other than her killing the NK, she also had that great Resident Evil style trip through the crypts, which was a great scene and also gave us a slight breather. Game of Thrones, where sneaking through your undead ancestors counts as breather. 

8 minutes ago, Ladyrain said:

Let me just say:  I love this show.  Addicted to it.   But I have nowhere near the level of knowledge, understanding and background that most of you have.   So I ask a question:   Last season, didn't Tyrion have a 'secret' meeting with Cersei after Dany, Jon and the dragons showed her the wight?   Do we know everything that they actually discussed?   Did Tyrion know that Cersei was not going to be sending any armies to help in this battle?  Whose side is he really on?   And I ask this as a fervent Tyrion fan.   I do not want him to be deemed a traitor.   Right now my head is still spinning after this episode and I can't think straight.

I don't see it. Could he betray her? I guess. But for Cersei? Why? What could he possibly gain that would lead him to do that? Most likely, those signs are simply to show (inner) conflict that has to be resolved, not foreshadow a huge plot twist. 

• Love 5

And where was everyone when the Giant burst in?  Why was little Lyanna the only one around to take a stand? I spent the whole night watching people save other people and have their back, and no one was there for the smallest fighter they had???   Since I have not been watching this, someone please tell me why Sam is so important that he could not have been sacrificed?  

• Love 4

Had a really rough time seeing anything as it was still daylight while I watched it live on HBO. I literally had to shroud myself and my monitor in a blanket so I could see what was happening on the screen. Night scenes are just brutal on this show.

A lot more made it through this battle sequence than I expected!

Tyrion, Varys and the Onion Knight are still there. I am still confused and uncertain about the fates of some others: are Brienne & Jaime still alive? Tormund? Missandei? Gillie? I'm confused about the dragons. Drogon is still alive, but Rheagar? Confirmed sighting of Ghost in the preview for next week. Yay!

I will stop bitching about Sansa being mean to Tyrion - they had a genuinely nice moment while cowering in the crypt.

Goodbye House Mormont, you badass bears. Sir Jorah went out much as I expected - nobly and heroically. Lady Mormont - tiniest fighter taking out the biggest as she went down.

Loved the scene of Drogon curling himself around Dany to comfort her as she wept over Jorah. Clearly I'm still more invested in CGI critters than humans.

Arya: didn't see that one coming, and apparently the Night King didn't either!

Bran: still alive dammit, and still doing sweet fuck all. Really wanted him to become ice-dragon chow this episode.

• Love 11
10 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

expected her to take and apply some lessons from the similar situation in Battle of the Blackwater, but despite being Lady of Winterfell she did nothing at all in the crypts to help keep up people's spirits or whatever. Even Cersei managed a bare minimum, in keeping up appearances even though she actually expected the worst. All Sansa can do is whine about Dany, and I was thrilled when Missandei smacked her down. It takes a lot of fucking nerve to complain about the woman whose armies and dragons she needs to first fight the army of the dead, and then to fight Cersei afterwards (since Cersei has no intention of ceding the North).

I agree. She came off especially bad tonight considering when you see Dany save Jon’s life more than once, get thrown off a Dragon and pick up a sword to fight along side her companion with no training at all. How much has Dany lost ? Sansa couldn’t even bothered to comfort crying children and women or talk to anyone but Tyrion about the “ Dragon Queen”. She’s the only one down there with a weapon and she’s hiding behind a crypt.  🙄  I don’t even know what they are doing anymore . 

Also Bran really? You couldn’t warg into something more useful?

Edited by GraceK
  • Useful 2
  • Love 14

4 minutes ago, Ladyrain said:

I would like to know what Bran and Tyrion discussed behind closed doors the evening prior to the battle!

I read that Tyrion might be the son of Rhaegar Targaryen's wife from an affair.  There was an episode where Tyrion's dad talks about not being sure he is really Tyrion's father.  I don't recall the details but Rhaegar Targaryen was a believer in fate and there was something having to do with a 3-headed dragon - and that the kingdom will be ruled by 3 Targaryans.  

It is speculated that the 3 rulers are Dany, Jon, and Tyrion. 

If all this is true, I wonder if Tyrion knows he's a Targaryen and when he talks about loving his family, he means the Targaryans - not the Lannisters.  I mean, if Jon Aryn and Ned Stark could figure out that Cersei's children weren't Robert's, it seems the Tyrion could figure out his own lineage.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, ulkis said:

Maybe I'm being generous, but I didn't think she was whining about Dany in this episode, just pointing out that she andd Tyrion were disagreed about her.

I'd say the fact that she referred to her as The Dragon Queen and not The Queen or Queen Daenerys spoke volumes. "The Dragon Queen" sounds like something only Daenerys' enemies would call her.

Sansa was talking shit and putting a carrot out, hoping for Tyrion to support her ideas for an independent North: 

tenor.gif?itemid=5465317

• LOL 2
  • Love 13
2 minutes ago, ulkis said:

Maybe I'm being generous, but I didn't think she was whining about Dany in this episode, just pointing out that she andd Tyrion were disagreed about her.

That is how I took it too.

Tyrion is the hand of Queen Daenerys, Sansa wants independence for the North. Tyrion cannot serve two masters. They would have a conflict of interest. 

During the conversation between Sansa and Daenerys, Sansa was clear in her wording, "we defeat the NK, we defeat Cersei and then what? "We" as in being part of the same team.

It feels like people cannot choose, it is one or the other. In my case, I would like to choose both. I would like Daenerys to sit on the IT provided she can be a different kind of ruler, but I also would like the North to be independent, they have gone through so much and I think that they can coexist as allies. Liking Daenerys doesn't prevent me from liking Sansa, but sometimes it does seem like if you like one then you must hate the other and that has never been the case for me. 

I think both have more in common so it is no wonder to me why they would want the same, they both want what was taken from their families and want to serve the people under their care. Now with Arya being a Stark of WF, I do hope that Daenerys considers the option to have the North as an alllied/partner/sort of independent like she gave the Iron Islands or how Aegon the Conqueror gave the kingdom of Dorne, there are precedents that she could take in consideration. JMO

• Love 22

I loved Jorah, but  knew he was gonna die, and his death scene was very realistic looking. I wasn't prepared for Dany's (Emilia Clark) very real sobs .I completely lost it when the dragon came to comfort her. Ugly cry. 

Jaimie can fight like a boss. One handed! I hope he makes sweet sweet love to Brienne after they recover from it all. 

Theon died a hero. 

Lyanna went out like a champ. Took down a whitewalkin' giant! 

I was hoping for Samwell to bite the big one. Nope. Still alive.  I can't stand that guy!

I don't think I'll sleep tonight without looking in the closets and under the bed.  

Screen Shot 2019-04-28 at 9.59.05 PM.png

Edited by Barbara Please
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, ShellsandCheese said:

Alas, the woman who said she wasn’t abandoning her people, cowers and hides in fear while her people get slaughtered. At least the likes of Arya, Dany, Jaime, Jon, Lyanna M., etc are willing to put their lives on the line and back up all of their big talk with action. Sansa has yet to prove herself in any meaningful way - at least from where I’m sitting. 

But they all should have died. What saved them was the simple fact that the writers love them too much. I can't blame Sansa's real world sensibility because the writers have given the other characters you named way too much superhero bravery and dumb luck. It's like they get to play Game of Thrones on invincible with infinite lives.

Honestly, they should have killed one of the core group to avoid it becoming so predictable and convenient for the heroes.

• Love 15

Yeah, I like Kit Harrington well enough, but they could have done a lot better in that role. And cast someone who looked more like Sean Bean too, since Jon looking like Ned was a major clue that Lyanna is his mother in the books.

And as someone suggested, Alfie Allen probably should have been Jon. He looks more like Bean and is more wiry like Jon is described as. Oh well.

4 minutes ago, Superpole2000 said:

But they all should have died. What saved them was the simple fact that the writers love them too much. I can't blame Sansa's real world sensibility because the writers have given the other characters you named way too much superhero bravery and dumb luck.

Yep. Sam wasn't even fucking fighting after a while.

It's great to find people who dislike Sam as much as I do. I thought I was the only one

Ha. I don't hate him, but I don't particularly love him either, and it was ridiculous that he was fine. He should have been with the people who weren't fighting.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 4
17 minutes ago, Drogo said:

I'd say the fact that she referred to her as The Dragon Queen and not The Queen or Queen Daenerys spoke volumes. "The Dragon Queen" sounds like something only Daenerys' enemies would call her.

Sansa was talking shit and putting a carrot out, hoping for Tyrion to support her ideas for an independent North: 

She was being snarky, but I don't think took away from her point.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

I don't get all the ragging on Jon... The plan was to ride the dragon... Lay down cover fire until the NK shows up and try and kill him... More or less that's what they did... The NK brought the frost winds and it was hard for Dany and Jon to see so they got lost.. But when the NK and Viserion showed up Jon attacked.. He fell off and attempted to go after the NK and he raised more dead... Jon( with help from Dany)  got away from some of the wights and was making his way thru all sorts of mayhem( including leaving Sam to deal with his own fight)  to get to Bran.. But he got pinned down by a dragon... Not sure what y'all wantEd him to do about that...

That wasn't the plan though. The grand, idiotic and ridiculous plan was for the 2 of them to sit up there with the dragons until the NK showed. Then they would engage him together with the dragons. The sparse dialogue alluded to it and the show discussion after confirmed it.

Dany threw the plan away when the Dothraki went down - he didn't immediately join her in laying down fire either. The same after show discussion said she screwed up their battle plans and messed up the battle by entering the field. If that is true, their entire battle plan apparently consisted of sacrificing everyone to draw him out and the Dothraki were the first pawn to be played.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, LadyChaos said:

She literally had a weapon and hid to save herself while people died.  Even if she didn't know how to use it, she could have tried to save the people.  

Yes.  And that would be the people that we've been told Sansa is all about, unlike Jon, who (it has been claimed) apparently never thinks/cares about people and is fighting to--what?--save the artwork on the walls of Castle Black and Winterfell.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Lemuria said:

Yes.  And that would be the people that we've been told Sansa is all about, unlike Jon, who (it has been claimed) apparently never thinks/cares about people and is fighting to--what?--save the artwork on the walls of Castle Black and Winterfell.

Seriously. Hearing the screams of children dying while she’s hiding with dragon glass, then hearing men , soliders beg to come in and that close up on her face was done for a reason. You can’t tell me that wasn’t deliberate. Even when she came in to the crypts she didn’t even smile or say hello to any of the cowering women and children in there, and she’s their “ Lady”. It seemed like a deliberate choice to show her as cold and unfeeling. Are we supposed to see her as Cersei of the North this season?

• Useful 3
  • Love 14

So, can Arya and Dany finally have a scene now? (That was such weird fake foreshadowing for Sansa to get a weapon to do nothing with while Dany was the one who actually started sticking 'em with the pointy end for the first time.)

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, Lady S. said:

So, can Arya and Dany finally have a scene now? (That was such weird fake foreshadowing for Sansa to get a weapon to do nothing with while Dany was the one who actually started sticking 'em with the pointy end for the first time.)

I thought for sure we'd get some scene where Dany is suspicious of Jon's relationship with his sisters, because she would see it in a Targaryen angle lol.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

So. . . Cersei was right. And will face no negative consequences for her decision to treat the undead apocalypse as a useless little scuffle that will give her a chance to win by weakening her enemies before they must face her. She'll be deposed but first she'll get to do more damage to the allies than the NK.

Screw all the claims that politicking is pointless in a time of crisis, it's going to be the entire climax of the show. I didn't expect real main characters to die but I'm shocked by how many second-tier redshirts survived - they should have killed at least a few to give this battle a tiny bit of weight. I did not expect to be so truly, honestly disappointed after the sense of doom and fine character work in 8x02.

• Love 10