Type keyword(s) to search

Real Time with Bill Maher in the Media

• Start Topic

No one likes to be booed, no one likes to be groaned at, no one likes to be laughed at.

Then don't invite blowhards on the show that peddle their tired, false talking points. 

“Book her [Porter] again as soon as possible.”

I have to give Bill credit if that's the case. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, ganesh said:

I have to give Bill credit if that's the case. 

I certainly hope he said that and we'll see Katie Porter again. Soon.

I'm glad you quoted that portion of the article. I wouldn't have gone back and read the whole thing, had you not.

• Love 1
On 9/30/2019 at 9:46 PM, ebk57 said:

Giant feature in the NYT Magazine with Bill.  I got 3 sentences in and had to stop.  Maybe I'll finish at some point.  He thinks rather highly of himself.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/09/30/magazine/bill-maher-interview.html?action=click&module=Editors Picks&pgtype=Homepage

I tried, I really did. I got up until the point where he dodged the question about the n-word controversy. Twice. 

You guys~, there was something “valuable” and “teachable” about Bill using the n-word, but we’re not worthy of Bill imparting this knowledge...Pfft. I wonder if this excuse works for everyone who says something dumb and insensitive, or just self-important premium-cable talk show hosts.

I didn’t even watch last week’s episode; I read the posts here and decided it wasn’t worth the time. (Thanks for the heads-up, everybody.)

• Love 3

I'm glad I actually watched the Milo Yiannopoulos show because it was nothing like the Daily Beast described.  The right-wing and left-wing media both distort things so you have to witness people yourself.  Bill didn't treat him with kid gloves, he let Milo show the world what an idiot he is. Same with Prager, though and anti-bark collar to keep him from taking over the entire show would have helped.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, Victor the Crab said:

Then why was Bill complementing him when he was on his show, calling him a young gay Christopher Hitchens?

Bill was being sarcastic.  A young gay Christopher Hitchens would have delighted guests with his wit, whereas Milo just dug himself a hole too deep to crawl out of by the end of the show.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, deirdra said:

Bill was being sarcastic.  A young gay Christopher Hitchens would have delighted guests with his wit, whereas Milo just dug himself a hole too deep to crawl out of by the end of the show.

That sounds like a cop out. No way Bill would try to expose Milo like that. He's not known for nuance and he's not that clever.

• Love 1
On 11/4/2019 at 4:54 AM, Victor the Crab said:

That sounds like a cop out. No way Bill would try to expose Milo like that. He's not known for nuance and he's not that clever.

Yeah, it's not that he doesn't ever push back at all, the problem is he keeps bringing these people on as if they're having a conversation when they aren't. Bill sometimes pointing out that they're saying something false makes no difference to them. They just go on talking. And most of the time he can't even say anything because they're just blabbing. The only time they let him talk is when he agrees with them, which is pretty often. He didn't make a fool of Milo at all.

Edited by sistermagpie
  • Love 6

They need to figure out a way to have guests.

I wasn't that impressed with Oliver doing his last show by himself in a spare studio.

Yes they can't have an audience but remotes with guests and some comedy bits would be in order.

New Rules?

• Love 2
On 3/25/2020 at 12:33 AM, scrb said:

They need to figure out a way to have guests.

I wasn't that impressed with Oliver doing his last show by himself in a spare studio.

Yes they can't have an audience but remotes with guests and some comedy bits would be in order.

New Rules?

All these “from home” and the previous Audience-less  shows suck.  Jimmy Fallon & his annoying kids, gah! 

• Love 1
On 3/26/2020 at 4:21 PM, msrachelj said:

All these “from home” and the previous Audience-less  shows suck.

Yes but at least they're making an effort. John Oliver did ONE show with no audience and now...what?!!! He's MIA, along with Maher? These two guys are CONSTANTLY off! They are off for about 2 months at Christmas (in fact, Oliver is gone for a solid 3), come back and do maybe 3 shows at the most and then?!!!! They're off....AGAIN!!

As a viewer, it is annoying, frustrating and I've decided to say fuck you to Oliver and stop watching. Maher, I prefer his show but I don't know how much longer I want to stay with this bloody inconsistency. I'd like to see a network show try that same shit!

I saw Oliver's show and it was pretty bad.

Then Colbert did one Monday night with Oliver as the guest, and it was still pretty bad. It was mostly just them chit chatting and saying something amusing once in a while, but does not make a show. The scripted bits were not much better. I don't understand, aren't the writers still writing?  

Hopefully Bill will put some work into having a good show. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, TVbitch said:

I saw Oliver's show and it was pretty bad.

Then Colbert did one Monday night with Oliver as the guest, and it was still pretty bad. It was mostly just them chit chatting and saying something amusing once in a while, but does not make a show. The scripted bits were not much better. I don't understand, aren't the writers still writing

Agree to disagree. 

• Love 4

One of Bill's favorite guests recorded by her daughter hurling verbal abuse at her teen daughter:

In the video, posted Jan. 19, you can hear Claudia’s mom say: “F*ck you, f*ck you. It’s over, it’s over—I don’t care who’s following you, dumbass.” She also adds the horrifying, “You’re lucky your mom’s pro-life.”

In reference to the infamous and extremely predictable COVID diagnosis, Kelly apparently said, “You can’t get coronavirus from the president,” the woman said, seemingly referring to Trump’s October diagnosis.

LOL. What?!

In another clip in the video, she says, “I can get you taken out of here today,” apparently referring to Claudia. “You don’t f*cking listen – what the f*ck is wrong with you?”

She accuses Claudia of being a liar, and proceeds to call her an “ungrateful b*tch.”

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/claudia-conway-posts-disturbing-tiktoks-013636669.html

• Love 1
18 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I've also been following this story, and this is just bizarre. 

Bizarre is the most polite way to put it.  The DC police are finally investigating Kellyanne, so there’ll hopefully be some resolution.  I just want the kids to be OK.  

I hope he gets well and is ok. He's been clear about taking precautions (the audience has been masked and he's talked about testing), so, cautionary tale I suppose. I would be ticked. 

Snide aside - oh, no, Tyson was scheduled *eyeroll*.

• Love 2

If you go by what the CDC seemed to be saying today is that breakthrough Covid cases in fully vaccinated people shouldn't require a shutdown but I suppose it will take awhile for those kind of things to be sorted and rules updated. 

I'd be leery anyway

But, but...I was told only fat lazy slobs would get hit with Covid, while healthy people with great immune systems, like Bill's, would survive. That's what Bill kept saying, and Bill is never wrong. Just ask him, he'll tell you!

Oh well, play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Maybe this little exercise in arrogant stupidity will humble Bill greatly!

• Love 11
2 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I hope he gets well and is ok. He's been clear about taking precautions (the audience has been masked and he's talked about testing), so, cautionary tale I suppose. I would be ticked. 

Snide aside - oh, no, Tyson was scheduled *eyeroll*.

He's asymptomatic. 

1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

He's asymptomatic. 

Yeah.  If he weren't getting tested regularly for the show, it's unlikely he would have known he had it since he had been vaccinated and is asymptomatic so far. 

• Love 5

I read in one of the articles that the Yankees did get the J&J vaccine, but obviously not confirmed.

I don't know if a public figure can confirm which brand they got, might set them up for liability.

There is an NBA player, Damian Lee, who had a breakthrough infection after J&J and his was not a mild case at all.  He said it was like being hit by two cars and he hasn't played in almost a month.

• Love 2
On 5/13/2021 at 9:47 PM, Victor the Crab said:

But, but...I was told only fat lazy slobs would get hit with Covid, while healthy people with great immune systems, like Bill's, would survive. That's what Bill kept saying, and Bill is never wrong. Just ask him, he'll tell you!

Oh well, play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Maybe this little exercise in arrogant stupidity will humble Bill greatly!

Don't count on it...he'll be as cocky and obnoxious as ever when he gets back.

• Love 3

Exactly. Bill got vaccinated *and* got covid? I think someone needs to go on a diet asap!

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I know Bill gets carried away talking about diet, but in his defense, I don't recall him saying eating right and being a healthy weight kept you from getting the virus in the first place. He's not wrong that obesity is a major factor with how likely you are to be hospitalized or die from covid. 

• Love 3

Well, he most certainly will survive. He is also asymptomatic. This is a weird virus. I don’t even trust that all these Covid tests are 100% accurate. 

• Love 3

Hmmm.  Bill and HBO say he got vaccinated but the way Bill has flirted with the anti-vaxxer crowd on his show I wonder if he hadn’t and that’s just them covering their butts.  I’ll take them at their word I guess and say he probably has, but it would be such a Bill Maher thing to do to not get vaccinated, wait until the virus is fully under control, and then announce he never got vaccinated and lecture everyone about how healthy he is and how stupid he thinks they were for “panicking” during the pandemic— except for him, who was so, so smart.

(On the other hand, I hope HBO— who clearly insisted on all the precautions on set after Bill was playing “let’s all go out and get herd immunity” for a lot of the early pandemic last year— also insisted he get his shots.  Bill is so susceptible to some rightwing/faux-libertarian propaganda it’s hard for me to imagine him simply volunteering for it without pressure).

• Love 3

Did he ever say which vaccine he got? I'm hearing more reports about breakthrough positives with those who got J&J. Most are asymptomatic like Bill though. 

Bill's obsession with diet made me uncomfortable watching after they returned with the backyard shows. 

6 hours ago, chediavolo said:

Well, he most certainly will survive. He is also asymptomatic. This is a weird virus. I don’t even trust that all these Covid tests are 100% accurate. 

That's what makes this so hilarious. Bill lecturing overweight people to lose weight so that they don't get hit with Covid, moreso than people who aren't, and he gets hit with the virus, DESPITE GETTING THE VACCINE!

It's like, after spending enough time with Bill, the vaccine sees the virus entering his system, and it tells the virus "Go right in, knock yourself out. Anything to knock this insufferable asshole down several pegs!"

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/15/2021 at 12:48 AM, adore said:

Exactly. Bill got vaccinated *and* got covid? I think someone needs to go on a diet asap!

Bill is probably TOFI (thin-outside-fat-inside) and metabolically unwell.  His grey pallor suggests that he is not metabolically healthy.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 4
(edited)
17 hours ago, chediavolo said:

Yes, Bill's not hospitalized or dying guys. As far as I know, he never once said eat right and the virus won't catch you either. He said your body has a significantly better chance of beating covid if you are metabolically healthy. This is a fact. The virus is indeed weird too. While I don't personally know a healthy, fit person who's died from it, yes it's possible. I also know young, fit people who did feel super sick when they got it, and older, out of shape people who were barely sick. Good point about the test accuracy. Bill may have gotten a false positive for all we know, and it's better to play it safe than sorry.  

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

He said your body has a significantly better chance of beating covid if you are metabolically healthy.

He also said a lot of people that got severe cases had pre existing conditions too.

I know he can beat on the issue too hard and can be smug about it, but I never really had a problem with the stance that we don't eat healthy enough. Sure, he can be more diplomatic about the topic, and not every person who is obese is eating chips for breakfast. But obesity is a root cause for a lot of health issues. And he was right - my doctor never brought up nutrition. I broached the topic to talk about it. 

If anything him getting the virus (if it's not false positive) is even more reason to make sure everyone get vaccinated and tries to maintain good health.

• Love 3