Type keyword(s) to search

Real Time with Bill Maher in the Media

• Start Topic

44 minutes ago, arachne said:

Pft. He’s acting like it’s some grand gesture to reward them for going back to the negotiating table. At least Drew acknowledged and apologized for hurting people. Bill can still go fuck himself.

• Like 2

While there is sympathy & support for the writers who are on strike let's not forget the thousands of people who are without work while this goes on, they also have families to feed as well as rent and mortgages to pay. I have no doubt that 99% of the people who say they support the striking writers wouldn't go on strike themselves or let their families go hungry or homeless and half of them are just joining in with the support because they look good to everyone else. It really is a catch 22.

Fire away everyone.

• Like 4
23 minutes ago, Shrek said:

While there is sympathy & support for the writers who are on strike let's not forget the thousands of people who are without work while this goes on, they also have families to feed as well as rent and mortgages to pay. I have no doubt that 99% of the people who say they support the striking writers wouldn't go on strike themselves or let their families go hungry or homeless and half of them are just joining in with the support because they look good to everyone else. It really is a catch 22.

Fire away everyone.

Bill Maher couldn't give a fuck about his writers. He says he changed his mind because he claims the writers are back at the negotiating table getting close, when in reality, Mr. Never Back Down backed down because the blowback he was receiving for trying to kickstart his vanity platform was too much for his delicate fee-fees.

B ill Maher is incapable of doing the right thing!

• Like 4

“My decision to return to work was made when it seemed nothing was happening and there was no end in sight to this strike,”

“Now that both sides have agreed to go back to the negotiating table I’m going to delay the return of Real Time, for now, and hope they can finally get this done”

Translation - "My EP and booker are telling me we won't get anyone good and that will go on past the strike. I don't want to burn all my bridges and piss off the A-list guests that come on because I used to be good and gave them exposure when they were starting because that would mean having to actually work hard again. Also Scott Carter explained to me that pissing all over the unions trying to put limits on AI is not a good move for someone who spends most of their time doing variations on the same old jokes and has decades of tape for the CGI folks to use..."

Edited by wknt3
fix typos
  • Like 7
  • Wink 1
1 minute ago, wknt3 said:

Translation - "My EP and bookers are telling me we won't get anyone good and that will go on past the strike. I don't want to burn all my bridges and piss off the A-list guests that come on because I used to be good and gave them exposure when I was starting because that would mean having to actually work hard again. Also Scott Carter explained to me that pissing all over the unions trying to put limits on AI is not a good move for someone who spends most of their time doing variations on the same old jokes and has decades of tape for the CGI folks to use...

He's been having problems. from the looks of it, getting guests on his show recently, when before he had none. It's only going to get worse for him, now that he tried to shiv his own writers in the back while pissing off everyone in Hollywood not involved in a union.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, ShadowKnight2 said:

Bill Maher couldn't give a fuck about his writers. He says he changed his mind because he claims the writers are back at the negotiating table getting close, when in reality, Mr. Never Back Down backed down because the blowback he was receiving for trying to kickstart his vanity platform was too much for his delicate fee-fees.

B ill Maher is incapable of doing the right thing!

Won't find me disagreeing with that. It applies to all of those that have decided to back down, everybody is shit scared to do anything in case it upsets the internet and that harpy Rosie O. 

Just now, Shrek said:

Won't find me disagreeing with that. It applies to all of those that have decided to back down, everybody is shit scared to do anything in case it upsets the internet and that harpy Rosie O. 

There was a lot more than just the internet and "that harpy Rosie O" who were upset with Bill Maher trying to give the finger to everyone with that selfish dick move of his. This is not going to end well for him!

• Like 4

That's the thing, with SAG ATRA on strike, actors may not come on the show while the strike is going on.

He could get political pundits and journalists.  But the liberal ones may decide not to cross picket lines.

So he might only have Republicans and conservatives willing to cross the picket lines.

• Like 3
40 minutes ago, aghst said:

That's the thing, with SAG ATRA on strike, actors may not come on the show while the strike is going on.

He could get political pundits and journalists.  But the liberal ones may decide not to cross picket lines.

So he might only have Republicans and conservatives willing to cross the picket lines.

He never seriously though this through, which is par for the course with him!

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Shrek said:

Fire away everyone.

But Bill isn't one of those people who's thinking about his family going hungry. Those people are also workers who are in unions. 

• Like 4
12 hours ago, Shrek said:

Agree wholeheartedly.  If the writers union had their way, every person even remotely related to their cause would be on strike. Only problem is that union workers get strike pay while the others are left out to dry. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

Agree wholeheartedly.  If the writers union had their way, every person even remotely related to their cause would be on strike. Only problem is that union workers get strike pay while the others are left out to dry. 

No one in their right minds wants to strike. It's the only move the workers have to get management to take them seriously in negotiations.

• Like 3
16 hours ago, ShadowKnight2 said:

No one in their right minds wants to strike. It's the only move the workers have to get management to take them seriously in negotiations.

Agreed. And IMO they shouldn't take others (who are not in their union) down with them.

7 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

Agreed. And IMO they shouldn't take others (who are not in their union) down with them.

The majority of those affected actually support the strikers. The strikers issues are their issues as well. Instead of attacking the strikers, the attacks should be directed towards corporate. Case in point, the Big Three Automakers all claim if they give in to the demands of the workers, they'll go bankrupt. This despite hauling in record profits.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
13 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

They're not taking them down with them, since they have the same needs. Writers getting paid peanuts just means other people getting peanuts too. It's not like corporate likes the electrician's union any more than the actor's union. (Or the railway workers union, speaking of exploitation by rich people being justified as not taking others down with them.) Workers have to stand together because one rich person has so much power.

• Applause 6
On 9/22/2023 at 8:51 PM, aghst said:

Just got an alert, new Real Time episode available.

Apparently the alert was sent in error or whatever, because it didn't happen. BM's website says "Real Time is returning! The date will be announced soon!" I've also seen references elsewhere to a Sept. 29 return. I really don't think anyone has a clue right now, including BM. 

For those who haven't seen it, BM and Howard Stern are currently feuding because BM went off on some weird tangent on his podcast about how Howard Stern talks too much about how he loves his wife and that must hurt the feelings of his ex-wife of 22+ years ago. (huh? yep). Howard, understandably , called the rant bizarre and sexist (if Howard Stern is calling you sexist, well....) and just pretty much trashed Bill. I never would have predicted 15 years ago that Bill Maher would regress into the creepy cranky narcissist he is and Howard Stern would turn into an evolved, "woke" (his words) human being. 

Edited by Superb Owl
corrected divorce time span
  • Like 2
18 minutes ago, Superb Owl said:

For those who haven't seen it, BM and Howard Stern are currently feuding because BM went off on some weird tangent on his podcast about how Howard Stern talks too much about how he loves his wife and that must hurt the feelings of his ex-wife of 22+ years ago. (huh? yep). Howard, understandably , called the rant bizarre and sexist (if Howard Stern is calling you sexist, well....) and just pretty much trashed Bill. I never would have predicted 15 years ago that Bill Maher would regress into the creepy cranky narcissist he is and Howard Stern would turn into an evolved, "woke" (his words) human being.

Because who's better and more knowledgeable about marriage, relationships, and the feelings of women than a well known sexist, misogynistic narcissist who has no interest in getting married whatsoever?

• Like 2

May take awhile for the final agreement to be written down and then for 11,000 WGA members to vote on it.

Also even if the writers are back, what kind of guests would show if SAG-ATRA is still on strike?

• Like 1

Actors can appear on talk shows as long as they don't plug projects that are struck or that were for the big studios, right? But Real Time is usually heavy on writers, journalists and politicians. I don't know if the tv journalists are connected to SAG-AFTRA but I imagine the rest will probably come back. Especially his conservative pals, so they can pat him on the back for at least trying to get out from under the yoke of that awful union tyranny. /s

• Like 1
1 hour ago, aghst said:

May take awhile for the final agreement to be written down and then for 11,000 WGA members to vote on it.

Also even if the writers are back, what kind of guests would show if SAG-ATRA is still on strike?

Bill Maher hasn't had a whole lot in the way of Hollywood actors and performers come on his show in the past several years. And the ones that do show up are usually "friends" of his (Rob Reiner, John Watters). After the little stunt he tried to pull - trying to come back while the writers were still on strike - good luck in him trying to find ANY Hollywood personality wanting to appear on his shit show.

I don't have HBO anymore so can't watch Bill's show. I always loved him and looked forward to his appearances on different media outlets.   Now I just see a lot of his opinions and statements on Mediate, here, and other platforms.  And maybe a podcast? He seems to come across as one of those wannabe Coolest Kids in the Room. The thing is, he used to be. But now he just looks like a small-minded oldster who resents the world around him changing and needs to find a way to stay relevant. (I can say "oldster" because I am way older than he is)

• Like 3