Type keyword(s) to search

Extra Hot Great

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

Glad to see someone submit a Scrubs episode for the cannon, event though it didn't get in. The Brendan Fraiser one is fantastic.

Another top contender for me is "My Lunch", the one where 3 patients die because the organ donor had rabies.

On 2/8/2017 at 1:45 PM, John Potts said:

If I was going to submit an episode of Scrubs it would be either My Old Lady (for a real tearjerker) or My Princess for the fantastical (though also a bit of a tearjerker). Surprised that there are (at present) NO episodes of Scrubs in the Canon - maybe I should submit one of those two!

For a gimmicky/fantasy one, I'd go with "My Musical", if for no other reason than the masterpiece that is "Guy Love".

Edited by April Bloodgate
On 2/8/2017 at 1:45 PM, John Potts said:

I was just thinking that perhaps they should stop running that "I am not a crackpot" clip in case the current President decides to take up Grandpa Simpson on his request and decides he's had enough of that bunch of pinkos in California. But keep the Red flag flying Tara!

I really hope he does, because then the Republic of California, with the sixth largest economy in the world, would not be subsidizing the federal government AND it would have a near stranglehold on the west coast ports. The US would be fucked. Sorry, I'm having a major leftie fantasy in the middle of this thread. 

• Love 2

Black Mirror. The show would continue to explorer the unanticipated consequences of new technologies, like if the walls of the fortress are keeping people out or keeping us in!

• Love 1

I was wondering why somebody had suddenly responded to one of my posts in Humans (heard of 'em).

But Tara gave a valid answer with Elizabeth Corday of ER (although she didn't say "Elizabeth of House Corday", so could be penalised for that, I suppose) for the shits & giggles question - at least, while a quick googling doesn't definitively give her birthplace, she WAS shown working in London, as did her Doctor father, so we can presume she was from London (as is Alex Kingston).

The Young Doctor, starring Martin Freeman. Doctor Who spin off showing the early years of the first Doctor causing trouble on Gallifrey, and the series ends when he steals his Tardis.

• Love 2

At first I was thinking about moving "The Real Housewives" to the cheapest city in America to live (which turns out to be Memphis), but instead I'll go with the "$25 Pyramid".

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Kip said:

I'll go with the "$25 Pyramid".

FYI, there's a quiz in the UK called The 99p Challenge, which is even less than that (about $1.50!) - though to be fair, it is a comedy show and I suspect that appearance fees (amounting to considerably more than that) might be involved.

Disappointed. When I saw the name of this mini, I thought it would be a challenge set in the world of Call the Midwife (which takes place in Poplar, London), such as 'Take a character from CTM and put them in another TV show' or vice versa.

Holy shit, those Twin Peaks clips creeped me out all over again. When this was originally on, my bff and I used to get together to watch and eat cherry pie and drink coffee while holding hands and freaking the f out when it got scary. I love it so much, you guys. I can't wait to do a full re-watch (for the first time in more than a decade) before the new ones come out in May. So happy this is in the Canon!

Did anybody else have audio issues? It kept dropping out for me, like they were moving away from the mics while talking.

Edited by J0nas3
Moving away from mics, not kids. Kids don't transmit audio
On 2/15/2017 at 8:04 PM, Halo said:

Holy shit, those Twin Peaks clips creeped me out all over again. When this was originally on, my bff and I used to get together to watch and eat cherry pie and drink coffee while holding hands and freaking the f out when it got scary. I love it so much, you guys. I can't wait to do a full re-watch (for the first time in more than a decade) before the new ones come out in May. So happy this is in the Canon!

Awww, thanks. Doing that submission got me excited about the new episodes in a way I haven't been since it was announced.  

On 2/15/2017 at 0:59 PM, aquarian1 said:

For John from Cincinnati, I thought of John of House Caravella* on WKRP IN Cincinnati.  Better know as Dr Johnny Fever, of course.

I was all ready with John of House of Fever.  I didn't remember that Caravella was his last name!!

So any time I mention "Humans" to my husband (and it's been coming up in conversation a lot lately), I pause for as long as it takes until he says "Heard of 'em."  The conversation grinds to a halt, sometimes for as long as a minute, while he looks at me, bewildered. The poor goober just can't get the hang of it.  It's pretty funny.

So . . . thanks.

I thought Jack Donaghy would be an obvious pick, but I clearly underestimated the wealth of worthy tv Jacks!
But, since he didn't get mentioned, I will nominate Jack Donaghy, because
1. he wholly devoted himself to the mentor/mentee relationship with Liz Lemon;
2. he did genuinely want to build a useful product (first the Kabletown couches, then the clear dishwashers); and
3. in the end, he did not use his position to influence an election, via Jenna's Crab Catcher fans.

I've got to go with Dr. Jack Hodgins from Bones. All because of TJ Thyne, the actor who portrays him, who made what could have been a standard secondary science geek character into something much more interesting. Most science geek characters I'd seen on TV before were completely awkward, and there was a bit of that in Hodgins with his interest in conspiracy theories, but he also was portrayed as someone who dated regularly, had a life and interests outside of work, and had great enthusiasm and snark.

I present the episode "Aliens in a Spaceship" as an example of his awesomeness - first the poor guy's hit by a car, then buried alive in a car with his colleague Brennan; he uses science to figure out where they may be buried and how to get the word out so they can be found, using only the odds and ends found in the car; and he declares his love for the first time for Angela as he's about to have emergency surgery on his injured leg, in the car... without anesthesia. *shudder*

In another episode called "The Blonde in the Game," he has a line that I think wonderfully revealed something about his character we hadn't seen before in the series. It's marvelous because most of his work as a scientist is on dead bodies or on general objects, examining for particulates, but in that episode he's on the clock, trying to provide Booth with evidence that will lead Booth to where a missing girl is being held by a psychopath. It's such an interesting moment to me because we don't usually see him rattled when it comes to his work, it doesn't usually matter in a life and death way, he has time to do his work as he sees fit. But in this episode, time is down to the wire and they're in a crunch moment when Booth needs something, anything, to find that girl before her time runs out, so Hodgins is under enormous pressure to provide answers. Booth wants his best guess, but Hodgins freaks out at him over the phone: "I can't just guess! I have a PROCESS!" We'd never seen Hodgins like this before, so it was really fascinating to me. In that moment, you see that these scientists are not used to the kind of high-pressure stuff that FBI agent Booth deals with. They've enjoyed the work, helping the FBI, but it's usually after the fact (when a murder has already occurred), so it's scary for Hodgins to actually make a scientific declaration that could have serious consequences in which that girl may be killed because he missed something or made the wrong guess, all because he couldn't do things the way he normally would. Really interesting stuff. (Unfortunately, the show did not keep that level of writing. Sadly. Very sadly.)

Runner-up? Captain Jack Harkness from Torchwood. Because... it's Captain Jack. And that show was insane. Do I need to say more? ;)

Edited by sinkwriter

The Trump error could really use a reboot of "Good Times". I would make the them a Black and Hispanic interracial couple, both should be very upwardly mobile, but the goal posts for the American dream keeps being pushed further and further away.

On 2/21/2017 at 11:38 AM, sinkwriter said:

Runner-up? Captain Jack Harkness from Torchwood. Because... it's Captain Jack. And that show was insane. Do I need to say more? ;)

If it were just Captain Jack as he appears on Doctor Who, I could get behind that. But he loses something in Torchwood, for me.

Like Tara, I thought In the Woods* was the episode when Buffy & Riley were screwing for the entire episode (which would probably be my vote for the Nonac) - I guess, as a guy, I was just less offended by the sexual politics. It's still an awful episode.

Sometimes I feel that the players should be given a sheet (well, presumably an E-mail) with the rules for the week's Game Time clearly set out, because it was clear that it took several questions before anyone got the idea of how it was meant to work. Still, I'm always pleased when I actually outdo one of the players, though it helps being the same age as Dave & Sarah (probably Tara too, but I don't think she's mentioned her age on air), whereas Eve is somewhat younger and was clearly struggling with the older shows. Age may not bring wisdom, but it does bring more knowledge of what shows were on in the 70s!

And congratulations, Tara!

*Wasn't it Into the Woods? I could google it, but it's just not worth it

Edited by John Potts

That was a really tough game time, but maybe it just needed a slightly different initial description? Dave emphasized characters but the first example was "MASH vs Evil Dead", and then the answers involved descriptions, occupations, locations, and show titles. It was still fun, just hard to get a handle on the rules. (Sorry to nitpick - I know game design is hard!)