Type keyword(s) to search

Extra Hot Great

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

I know someone who used to cook at Cafe Gratitude. He even rolled his eyes at the vibe there, but I'm sure he'd stand by the food itself. He now runs his own well regarded vegan place without the hippy dippiness. 

• Love 1

On crossovers and syndication: another way to do it is to keep syndication in mind when you're making the episode, as was the case in the (in)famous Murder She Wrote/Magnum, P.I. crossover. If you just watch the first (Magnum P.I.) episode, it seems like it wraps up fine; in the Murder She Wrote episode, you find out that there's a second murderer on the loose or something.

I mean, it's not great television, but at least it doesn't leave you hanging.

• Love 3

I miss Galavant, so I'm going to squeeze it into the CMT lineup on the theory that the "M" stands for "Music". The show will remain exactly the same, except that there will be 20% more banjo, fiddle, and slide guitar.

• Love 2

Down-Homeland. Claire Danes and Co start investigating neo-Nazi groups in the South.

Hee-Haw-Who. A universe-traveling Time Lord picks up a couple of banjo-playin', tale-spinnin', knee-slappin' pals.

Will and Graceland. For the NEXT mini-season run, Will gets drunk in Vegas, and gets married to an Elvis impersonator working the chapel. When Karen buys Graceland during a real-estate-retail-therapy binge, Will and husband move in -- as does a newly single Grace, who Karen hires to redecorate the place because it needs some "zing". Graceland becomes Grey Gardens, with Beverly Leslie living in the poolhouse.

• Love 2

However many days later, the more I think about that Sherlock finale, the madder I get at it. Nick's point about the drone grenade was spot on. And also, what was Eurus's purpose in leaving the prison periodically to (a) be Watson's bus lady and (b) be Watson's therapist? She took some long trips away from the prison in order to do those things! And then she'd just go back and pretend to be incarcerated some more? Why? Ugh!

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Fukui San said:

In the interest of time, a few Game Time entries were left on the cutting room floor. ...

That was a very creative and enjoyable Game Time. Kudos.

Edited by raymond
trim
  • Love 3

I always love talk of Happy Endings. I think the Thanksgiving episode that shows how they all met on The Real World might be my favorite. I agree with those that said Dave is probably the weakest link of the ensemble.

Jim Henson for a REAL MUPPET SHOW, not that stupid "reality" one we had last season. And his revival would bring Frank Oz back into it too. [Jerry Nelson and Richard Hunt can be revived along with Jim.]

Bring back the entire cast of the British TV classic Dad's Army (I think they're all dead now?) as the "re-imagined" Dad's Undead Army.  They'd be a band of good zombies who have to cope with low resources & limbs dropping off, fighting to protect Britain against the ravening hordes of the evil flesh eating undead - think Walking Dead, but with tea & crumpets.

• Love 1

In this scripted historical recreation, Lin-Manuel Miranda as Alexander Hamilton pits a northern state business against a southern plantation owner and just as it looks like the southern plantation owner is going to win based on profit margin Hamilton asks "but what if you had to pay your workers instead of using slaves" and fires them with an impromptu freestyle rap rather than using a catch phrase. 

On 1/20/2017 at 9:00 AM, profreader said:

Yes, great Game Time -- a tough one (and funny!)

On 1/19/2017 at 8:38 PM, raymond said:

That was a very creative and enjoyable Game Time. Kudos.

Thanks guys. It's always fun to hear a game you made be played. Even better when people seem to enjoy it. 

Btw, 10 Greg Points go to Sarah, who gamely shoehorned in Game Time references to all of her answers. 

• Love 3

Hunted is based on the UK show of the same name: in the UK version, the contestants agreed to "give permission to be tracked as if the state was tracking them using methods that the state may use, such as monitoring of phones, houses searched, analysing of electrical equipment etc." (from Wikipedia). They had to give the Production permission "to be tracked in the same way the state might track a fugitive - their cash cards and phones were monitored, their houses searched and their friends and family questioned. The Hunters also use media campaigns to recruit the general public into helping them, offering financial incentives". Whether this was to reassure the public of how effective the police could be at catching crooks or scare the public in the frightening way in which the state can trammel all over your human rights will probably depend on whether you're a bleeding heart liberal (like me) or a "Well, it's not a problem if you've got nothing to hide" Conservative (4 people out of 14 succeeded in making it through the month in the 1st series and 2 out of 10 in the second). Maybe the US Producers were worried about showing how easily the State can ignore those pesky things like the Bill of Rights so they didn't air the conditions?

On 1/18/2017 at 8:14 PM, TeeVee329 said:

Was fun hearing the "Happy Endings" submission for The Canon.  That one's my second favorite episode of the series, just behind the one where they try and go to dinner for Penny's birthday and one disasters befalls them after another.

Those are also my top two, but reversed. Party of Six is aMAHzing, but Cocktails & Dreams is just so endlessly quotable. I use "Bitch, it is 5:30!" way too often, and I'm also extremely partial to Max's "Well, my life is in shambles."

Extended Christmas Specials (I'm thinking especially Doctor Who & Sherlock). They don't get any extra plot, but they get an extra half hour/20 minutes of self indulgence which adds nothing but annoyance to the viewers (well, this one anyway). More is not always better!

Edited by John Potts
  • Love 1

After I started binging Foyle's War, I started to realize that I thought Foyle was kinda foxy.  This confused me until I realized, to my shock, that the character in the show was probably supposed to be in his early 50s, which would definitely put him squarely in my dateable age range. It's always confusing to watch British television, where characters look their actual age, unlike American TV, where actual real-world age should be read as 20 years older.  If that makes sense.

I also really liked this gametime, reminded me of the Will Shortz puzzles on NPR on weekend mornings. (also good).

One of my fave gametimes in the short time i've been listening to the pdocast was the one that Joe Reid did that was a Price is Right game where all the answers were numbers. It was a good game, but also good cause of the rare participation of David T. Cole as a player.

• Love 1