Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E16: Greenlight

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, ketose said:

Not knowing guns that well, I think if she had a gun that ejects bullets (semi-automatic?) the ammunition and the gun would be operational after being in the water.

Revolvers and autos will work when wet.  They will even work under water, to some degree.  (Small autos may fail to cycle.)  Obviously, once rusting begins, all bets are off.  I think there is some chance that moisture get into the ammunition and render it useless, but most ammunition is pretty tight and waterproof.  

• Useful 5
  • Love 2

I would think any gas operated reloading system will have a hard time functioning under water after the first shot. Most pistol ammunition is not as high powered as a rifle cartridge so unless the person you are shooting underwater is very close to the gun then forget about penetration.

I can see West's father appointed the next captain.  They dropped the hint of him being dirty a few episodes back. Now they can make him captain and go deeper into that story.

Too bad the show never introduced Andersen's second in command.

• Love 4
On 3/19/2019 at 9:06 PM, mxc90 said:

I see. Was it mentioned why they didn't go to Cole from the start instead of raids? Just yank him in the station for a little chat and pressure.

They said the father was the one who pulled all the strings - so they went to the top honcho.

I was surprised the Captain was killed, and found it moving.  I personally find it refreshing when a show kills off a character, because that means that all bets are off and any tactical situation could result in the death of a character. Makes it more high stakes and improves the tension. (just saying, George RR Martin had me when he killed off the presumed lead character in the first GOT book - I may be a little strange)

• Love 6

I like it when shows do something unexpected, and that was certainly unexpected, but IMO a huge mistake. They killed off the most likable and frankly best female character in the show. Not to mention that I was convinced that Nolan and the captain were the endgame couple. She was my favorite character. I'm quite miffed to be honest. It somewhat ruined a pretty good and solid first season of the show.

• Love 10

I am still picturing the look on Mercedes Mason's face when the Captain was fatally shot in the carotid artery (I presume). It conveyed to me (and maybe others?) that she was aware that she had been fatally shot. Three years ago I was given a diagnosis of what was presumed a rapidly approaching death--which obviously did not occur--but that look on her face expressed to me that the Captain was having the same thoughts and feelings about impending death.

I've seen other main or semi-main characters "killed off" on police dramas--some were more moving that this one. But that look on her face was the most haunting I can recall. Although I've seen a few other actors also give that look when fatally shot, the direction and cinematography here really enhanced the scene; having the Captain about to slip into the dark water really made it narratively effective.

It's like these few seconds of the series were from some other, award winning drama.

• Love 20
19 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I am still picturing the look on Mercedes Mason's face when the Captain was fatally shot in the carotid artery (I presume). It conveyed to me (and maybe others?) that she was aware that she had been fatally shot. Three years ago I was given a diagnosis of what was presumed a rapidly approaching death--which obviously did not occur--but that look on her face expressed to me that the Captain was having the same thoughts and feelings about impending death.

I've seen other main or semi-main characters "killed off" on police dramas--some were more moving that this one. But that look on her face was the most haunting I can recall. Although I've seen a few other actors also give that look when fatally shot, the direction and cinematography here really enhanced the scene; having the Captain about to slip into the dark water really made it narratively effective.

It's like these few seconds of the series were from some other, award winning drama.

It can't be said enough how incredibly well done that scene was - the quiet, their looks and expressions, the desperation - like you it is stuck in my head. It was just such an incredibly well written, acted and directed scene. 

• Love 15
On 3/19/2019 at 11:38 PM, SnoGirl said:

I am really disappointed they killed off the Captain. Like, I don’t know if I want to keep watching.

I really liked the Captain, and wished they used her more in the show.  I hate that they killed her off, and yes, it makes me wonder if I want to return next week.

On 3/19/2019 at 11:38 PM, SnoGirl said:

I did like the Lawyer and Lopez storyline. I thought their story was nicely done-although I’m surprised at how long after the Captain was killed that he found out/called her. He’d have connections, he would have found out quickly.

I was surprised she took his call - you're on a road blockade waiting for a hardened, neo-Nazi thug who just killed your Captain to arrive, and you take a phone call from some guy you dated a few times?  Sorry, you let that thing go to voicemail, and talk to him later.

21 hours ago, Netfoot said:

Now, maybe I'm wrong, because what do I know?  But that entire scene with the flag-wrapped body-bag being wheeled out to the ambulance while a couple dozen cops form a corridor with saluting and so forth...  that whole thing strikes me as bogus.  I was expecting a piper to crawl out of the bushes and begin skirling!  

No, that's not uncommon in a situation like that, honoring a fallen comrade, I've seen it before.  What did bother me were the commands Sgt. Grey was giving.  He called "Order Arms" to command the officers to salute, and he said some mumbly thing to have them lower their salutes.  Unless LAPD does it different from every other organization (military, police, etc.) the call is "Present Arms" to raise a salute, and "Order Arms" to lower it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

You're right. She did. 

It's good that she did because Nolan was in too much shock to call for help, when others arrive he is still frozen in place with her in his lap.

If you are going to kill someone shoot him right away, don't just knock him out and tie him up so you can pull your whole mustache twirling routine. I guess the bad guy didn't watch very many James Bond movies growing up...

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

They killed off the most likable and frankly best female character in the show.

I liked the Captain a lot, but to me Bishop's the best woman on the show. If they ever even think of killing her off, the show is dead to me. No matter how much I like Nathan Fillion.

• Love 20
32 minutes ago, sinkwriter said:

I liked the Captain a lot, but to me Bishop's the best woman on the show. If they ever even think of killing her off, the show is dead to me. No matter how much I like Nathan Fillion.

Co-sign.

I love whoever writes for her.  She wasn't happy about Nolan returning to work and then she explained very succinctly why.  And when he was all up in his 'this is my fault' feels, she also shut that down.  Not meanly, but just matter-of-factly.   I'mm all about Bishop.

I liked the captain a lot, but if she didn't show up for an episode I did not mis her.  And in true tv fashion, they saved showing her true badassery for when they decided to kill her off (see, Carter, Jocelyn in Person of Interest).

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, BlakesMomma said:

It can't be said enough how incredibly well done that scene was - the quiet, their looks and expressions, the desperation - like you it is stuck in my head. It was just such an incredibly well written, acted and directed scene. 

I would have appreciated that scene in the third (maybe second) season, but it just felt like cheap drama to get people to pay attention.

7 hours ago, Moose135 said:

I really liked the Captain, and wished they used her more in the show.  I hate that they killed her off, and yes, it makes me wonder if I want to return next week.

I was surprised she took his call - you're on a road blockade waiting for a hardened, neo-Nazi thug who just killed your Captain to arrive, and you take a phone call from some guy you dated a few times?  Sorry, you let that thing go to voicemail, and talk to him later.

No, that's not uncommon in a situation like that, honoring a fallen comrade, I've seen it before.  What did bother me were the commands Sgt. Grey was giving.  He called "Order Arms" to command the officers to salute, and he said some mumbly thing to have them lower their salutes.  Unless LAPD does it different from every other organization (military, police, etc.) the call is "Present Arms" to raise a salute, and "Order Arms" to lower it.

I'm going to chalk that up to out of sequence editing of the scene.

9 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

They said the father was the one who pulled all the strings - so they went to the top honcho

Midas: You been in the game long?

Grey: Almost 20 years.

Midas: Then you know, I just can't rescind the greenlight. Its gotta come from Cole.

Did Grey get bad intel about the father's golden touch? Or already knew he couldn't call it off, went to the prison with his fingers crossed, deliver news about the money he's losing hoping he'd crack? Or just under estimated Cole's stupidity?

30 minutes ago, ketose said:

I would have appreciated that scene in the third (maybe second) season, but it just felt like cheap drama to get people to pay attention.

They may not get that far. Get it all out now. Earthquake next week! 

1 hour ago, mxc90 said:

If they wanted to be on more than a season, ABC is not the best place to do it.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, mxc90 said:

Did Grey get bad intel about the father's golden touch? Or already knew he couldn't call it off, went to the prison with his fingers crossed, deliver news about the money he's losing hoping he'd crack? Or just under estimated Cole's stupidity?

See, this is where this whole story just falls apart for me and largely why this episode just didn't work. 

The way they wrote & presented the character of Cole, he seemed too hot headed, cowardly and just plain old dumb to be any sort of real leader.  If he really was the one calling the shots on the outside, then logically this is a guy who would be able to hold together a massive criminal enterprise that spans multiple states,  who is smart enough to to keep said criminal enterprise thriving in such a way that the police largely leaves you alone because you are toeing a certain line they understand they have to live with.  A guy like that would not be so stupid as to put out a hit on the cops just because of his entitled baby mama in the first place. 

Just shoddy plotting all the way around.

• Love 4

OMG, this show. I forgot it was even on this week until tonight. It's beginning to become unintentionally funny. Especially that whole poolside scene.

Edited by newyawk
13 hours ago, mxc90 said:

Midas: You been in the game long?

Grey: Almost 20 years.

Midas: Then you know, I just can't rescind the greenlight. Its gotta come from Cole.

My take on it was that he couldn't rescind the greenlight over his son's head - because that would make his son look weak to the gang. But he could tell his son to rescind it and would believe his son would follow his orders. It seems to me clearly did tell his son to do it since Cole explained the rescind was "fake."

He definitely understimated Cole's stupidity.

10 hours ago, DearEvette said:

See, this is where this whole story just falls apart for me and largely why this episode just didn't work. 

The way they wrote & presented the character of Cole, he seemed too hot headed, cowardly and just plain old dumb to be any sort of real leader.  If he really was the one calling the shots on the outside, then logically this is a guy who would be able to hold together a massive criminal enterprise that spans multiple states,  who is smart enough to to keep said criminal enterprise thriving in such a way that the police largely leaves you alone because you are toeing a certain line they understand they have to live with.  A guy like that would not be so stupid as to put out a hit on the cops just because of his entitled baby mama in the first place. 

Just shoddy plotting all the way around.

I agree - though if you take the premise that Midas is actually running things - and Cole is only his outside front man, then it sort of makes sense. But the level of stupidity is a bit much.

• Love 4
On 3/20/2019 at 9:35 AM, Msample said:

No word on whether its been renewed or cancelled. The order for 7 more episodes was a good sign , but its no guarantee. 

As to your question on Sarah Shahi, she was a guest star a few eps back as the FBI trainer; sounds like she'll be back later this season. 

https://tvline.com/2019/01/11/sarah-shahi-the-rookie-season-1-cast-jessica-russo/

Sadly, it appears she will be permanent; it seems the writer will delve into/expand the relationship between Nolan and her.   As another poster speculated that she may become the new captain?

• Love 1
On 3/20/2019 at 9:51 AM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

A captain secretly dating a rookie would be a gross abuse of power and not at all something this by-the-book captain would have done. All her hard work would have been wasted when the secret was exposed and she was fired.

Point taken.  Nolan and Chen were dating and had to keep that secret (I wasn't a fan of that May-December relationship anyway).  Nolan is not the typical rookie (although, yes, he IS a rookie).  I was thinking more along the lines of two mature, sexy, consenting, single adults.   Thought it might be fun to see how that dynamic played out--nothing immoral, illegal or abusive, e.g., harassment by either.  It's moot now and it looks like Jessica will be the love interest and who knows, will she end up being the new captain?

• Love 1
On 3/20/2019 at 10:01 AM, Xantar said:

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think this was a mistake. The show doesn't have the weight and gravitas to go dark like this, especially not in the first season. It's not what I came here for. Nolan has already seen a few people die in his arms including a corrections officer whose last thought was of the woman he loved, so there's already plenty of material for him to develop angst and explore his mental health if that's where they want to go.

Nicely said and am right there with you!   AH's Twitter explanation was nonsensical.  They killed her off to "advance the story of Nolan and this was the best way to do it".  Totally unnecessary and will have to see how things develop--if I continue to watch.   Killing her off, imo, is a real blow to this dramedy.   If you saw Mercedes Mason farewell, she put on a good, brave face (thanked fans who loved/supported her) but it seemed a bit emotionally awkward.   Somehow, I don't think/believe this was her choice.

• Love 1
On 3/20/2019 at 10:10 AM, TWP said:

I have a feeling this captain killing was a budget cutting move in the hope of renewal.  But a show that doesn't mind killing off some of its ensemble really isn't my idea of fun.  Back to comedies, I guess ;-).  Bad move, show.  It really is a huge mistake.  Hawley is already being asked, "can we trust you ever again?"  The answer is no.  I think they thought this would be a big PR move.  They were right about that, but in the wrong direction.  I can smell the desperation. 

Strangely now I'm hoping for cancellation and keep and improve WC instead.  Would serve 'em right as far as I'm concerned.  A Hawley show is never going to be a great show.  Ever.  No matter who else is in it.  If TR is renewed, prepare for Hawley to do all kinds of things that fans hate and then to scream "fan entitlement" when people complain.  No thank you, Mr. Hawley.

❤️ - you are so right!   I have not been a fan of AH for quite some time yet ABC has simply given him the reins to ruin another show   Everything he touches turns to sh!t; when will they learn?

• Love 1
On 3/20/2019 at 12:16 PM, madmaverick said:

I also think they made the wrong move to kill the Capt because A) we'll see, but I'm not convinced that it's going to drive the storytelling forward in a big way and I'm not convinced that failing to save someone/one of them getting shot (which already happened) couldn't have driven storytelling in those directions. B) This is the first time I've watched Mercedes Mason in anything but I thought she had a really likable screen presence here which was an asset to the show, and she had good chemistry with NF as well as others.  It's a shame to see her go.  C) The Capt. character was definitely underutilized and as I've said before, kind of a thankless role in these shows because the writers never seem to know what to do with her.  But the tidbits they dropped about the Capt being ex-Marine and being divorced could have been explored further.  As was the idea that she chose Nolan to come to her precinct because she saw the value in his experience.  It all just felt like an unnecessary death of a character and a cheap kill to shock, cheap way to shake things up for an episode or two.

Exactly (enjoyed your entire post) but this - yes!   Ade even tough AH (Alexi Hawley) stated it was done to advance Nolan's story, I call BS.   There were stories that could have been developed with the Captain/Nolan or just explored about the Captains' previous experience.  BIG MISS but yeah, either budget cuts or maybe there's something else going on we fans don't quite know about, yet.

On 3/20/2019 at 2:31 PM, shapeshifter said:

Sure. Whatever.
Here's my personal theory based on my own interpretation of what I've seen (and read on these threads):
TPTB noticed that NF seemed too old for romance with the fellow rookie, but that he and the Captain were in that Goldilocks zone.
But she was his Captain.
So, enter Captain's phenotype, the still slightly more glamorous Sara Shahi as someone who is in Nolan's sphere but not his direct superior.
And then get rid of the Captain. How? Ooo. Godfather style.

Yep - hated it and totally agree with you - so true.

• Love 1
On 3/20/2019 at 3:11 PM, femmefan1946 said:

Well,actually, NF spends a lot of his vacation time underwater, so I guess he has skillz.

Yeah, I know he scuba dives a lot with his brother, Jeff, but that really didn't look like he (made that dive!)

• LOL 1
On 3/19/2019 at 8:02 PM, mxc90 said:

Holy shit! Captain went out bad ass. Sorry to see her go. I was expecting her Houdini trick, gunning down all three and back to her desk the next day.

Seriously, Nolan is targeted because he put his hands on her and the strap broke? I would have been fine with Nolan taking the guy's parking spot and shot up Nolan's pickup in rage.

Nolan got out on the passenger's side pretty quick. That may have been the fastest we have seen him move.

If there is a price on Nolan, why did the assassin leave and not finish the job? The terminator laughs at him.

So the cops are now motivated to do their job and clean the streets because one their cops was almost killed. Sad!

I guess news doesn't travel fast in the Southern Front community.

I think his weapon jammed, but then you would think that someone who travels around with an assault weapon would have a pistol back up. No suicide mission for that guy though.

I was thinking the same thing about the green light being called off. It wasn't like everybody had time to prepare for the 11th hour of the 11th day when the guns would all go silent.

On 3/19/2019 at 8:45 PM, ketose said:

I'll say one thing. I'll be pissed if they killed off Captain Anderson to make Sarah Shahi the new captain.

On 3/19/2019 at 9:08 PM, mxc90 said:

She's in the private sector and ex police. Can she jump to captain from the outside?

It depends upon how true life they are going for in background. The entire premise of The Closer/Major Crimes is you don't transfer into LAPD, you come in as an appointed Chief, thus not necessarily a California POST standards like Chief Willie Williams after the riots and USMC General Worton after a late 1940s LAPD corruption scandal. approved police officer or you go to the academy and the "boot" probationary year before the clock starts ticking for minimum time to start rising in ranks

On 3/21/2019 at 4:49 AM, mxc90 said:

I can see West's father appointed the next captain.  They dropped the hint of him being dirty a few episodes back. Now they can make him captain and go deeper into that story.

Too bad the show never introduced Andersen's second in command.

Maybe as a temporary measure. Although Captain and the father's Commander ranks are both command staff for Commander West to move to a division commanders job is a step down the career ladder.

On 3/21/2019 at 8:57 AM, Moose135 said:

I saw the same thing on some other police show which my memory can't remember the name of and my Army basic training then like know snapped to attention.

Edited by Raja
  • Love 1

Ah West's father will be the new captain probably and will be dirty...a rearranged Castle. scenario  In Castle, dirty captain gets shot, (and then after interim captain disappears into the ether via budget cuts) love interest gets promoted to Captain.  In The Rookie potential love interest non-dirty captain gets shot.  Dirty captain gets the job.  I'm really seeing Castle parallels all over the place in The Rookie these days.

But the bottom line I think is budget cuts. 

Next week's earthquake.  This show seems to be jam-cramming all of its ideas into the last of the season, no doubt as a desperate attempt to save it from cancellation, or maybe because they know they're cancelled and want people's (Hawley's) ideas to get airplay.  

My dislike for Hawley is completely off the charts.  Above. and. beyond.  

Edited by TWP
10 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

My take on it was that he couldn't rescind the greenlight over his son's head - because that would make his son look weak to the gang. But he could tell his son to rescind it and would believe his son would follow his orders. It seems to me clearly did tell his son to do it since Cole explained the rescind was "fake."

He definitely understimated Cole's stupidity.

I agree - though if you take the premise that Midas is actually running things - and Cole is only his outside front man, then it sort of makes sense. But the level of stupidity is a bit much.

In the "Godfather" analogy (which I cannot help associating with this episode because of that music that made me think of the baptism/murders montage), Cole is Sonny. I wonder if he has a younger brother.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Raja said:

I saw the same thing on some other police show which my memory can't remember the name of and my Army basic training then like know snapped to attention.

Yes, I remember commenting on it from another police show, the name of which escapes me at the moment.  Out of the Air Force 30 years, and I still remember that stuff.  Now, where did I leave my house keys... 😉

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Hmm... I don't think I want to watch this show anymore. The Captain was my favorite character. None of the rest of them do much for me except maybe Tim. He's an asshole but he's kinda compelling. Don't care enough about any of the rest.

I fell asleep just before the capt got shot but I did catch the Rookie walking into the situation room all supernoble to applause and retched at the supreme self-importance, and then said to Mr MML he is putting them in danger with that big target on his back—he really shouldn’t be there. And look who was right (and yeah, she is dead because of you). Sorry, but Nolan is just such a dumb schlub and so physically slow-moving to me now that I just don't get him as a cop vs someone like Bradford (swoon). And the comic fish-out-of-water theme is just gone now. I’d cancel it. 

1 hour ago, MakeMeLaugh said:

I fell asleep just before the capt got shot but I did catch the Rookie walking into the situation room all supernoble to applause and retched at the supreme self-importance, and then said to Mr MML he is putting them in danger with that big target on his back—he really shouldn’t be there. And look who was right (and yeah, she is dead because of you). Sorry, but Nolan is just such a dumb schlub and so physically slow-moving to me now that I just don't get him as a cop vs someone like Bradford (swoon). And the comic fish-out-of-water theme is just gone now. I’d cancel it. 

I admit, the show is bland to me. But I'm not sure anything else would fare better these days. The 10:00 p.m. shows' ratings are, frankly, bad. Only DVR seems to save them.

Still, I do wonder how long this show's premise can last. Rookies are only rookies for so long.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I admit, the show is bland to me. But I'm not sure anything else would fare better these days. The 10:00 p.m. shows' ratings are, frankly, bad. Only DVR seems to save them.

Still, I do wonder how long this show's premise can last. Rookies are only rookies for so long.

Well The Rookies with their metropolitan SoCal PD went from 1972 to 1976.  Given the info here that would be just about the time the one year rookie had spent three more years as a police officer and qualified in time for "the tap" to detective or maybe become a TO with their own boot to train.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Raja said:

Well The Rookies with their metropolitan SoCal PD went from 1972 to 1976.  Given the info here that would be just about the time the one year rookie had spent three more years as a police officer and qualified in time for "the tap" to detective or maybe become a TO with their own boot to train.

Thanks for looking that up - I was just thinking of it.

12 hours ago, auntlada said:

In the "Godfather" analogy (which I cannot help associating with this episode because of that music that made me think of the baptism/murders montage), Cole is Sonny. I wonder if he has a younger brother.

The episode reminded me of the Godfather too, it's the .... well, grandfather of crime boss with idiot sons plots.

• Love 1

Definately the worst episode of the season and probably my last.

How would Cole know that of all the police in LA that Nolan would be taking the call to go to the robbery?

There was absolutely no movement in the house before the flashbomb hit that would have alerted 2 police officers?

There seems to be 100's of criminals in LA that have access to military weapons and the police know where they are but don't do anything about it due to worry that other gangs will take over?

If the idiot showrunner was correct that this death advanced the plot for Nolan, he is right, he advanced it into the toilet. I really liked the Captain one of my favorite characters on the show.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 3/21/2019 at 8:57 AM, Moose135 said:

I really liked the Captain, and wished they used her more in the show.  I hate that they killed her off, and yes, it makes n like that, honoring a fallen comrade, I've seen it before.  What did bother me were the commands Sgt. Grey was giving.  He called "Order Arms" to command the officers to salute, and he said some mumbly thing to have them lower their salutes.  Unless LAPD does it different from every other organization (military, police, etc.) the call is "Present Arms" to raise a salute, and "Order Arms" to lower it.

21 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Yes, I remember commenting on it from another police show, the name of which escapes me at the moment.  Out of the Air Force 30 years, and I still remember that stuff.  Now, where did I leave my house keys... 😉

I got it. The funeral of Commander Raydor on Major Crimes the order was given to "present arms" and they lowered the hand salute.

• Love 2
On 3/22/2019 at 12:54 PM, eel2178 said:

IMDB has 20 episodes listed for season 1.

Watch Mr. Confidence (Hawley) end the season on a cliffhanger and then it gets cancelled.   Trust is gone.

19 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Grey's Anatomy started with Grey as a resident.  What is she now, retired?  As long as they have rookies, the title and concept can live on.

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, TWP said:

Grey's Anatomy started with Grey as a resident.  What is she now, retired?  As long as they have rookies, the title and concept can live on.

Well, sure, looking at it like that.  Still, while Grey's Anatomy is now "Ellen Pompeo and Company", it didn't start out like that. This started as a Nathan Fillion show. While there are the other characters, are they compelling enough to stay for? Based on Hawley's past output, it's a crapshoot.

I'm out. I really tried to like this show. I really did.  I even like most of the characters except for Bradford. Bishop is my favorite. I liked the Captain. Nolan I'm neutral on. I don't love him. I don't hate him. But I can't get into it. Nothing has pulled me in. I'm blaming AH. I didn't like him on Castle and he was the main concern with the show but I decided to give it a chance anyways. 

• Love 2
On 3/23/2019 at 2:44 AM, TWP said:

Next week's earthquake.  This show seems to be jam-cramming all of its ideas into the last of the season, no doubt as a desperate attempt to save it from cancellation, or maybe because they know they're cancelled and want people's (Hawley's) ideas to get airplay.  

Not keen on the earthquake or the episode description for the finale.  Bigger does not always mean better.  When will writers get that? Is the show veering into melodrama? 

On 3/23/2019 at 1:31 PM, WendyCR72 said:

It's been so long since a network show especially a procedural grabbed me.  And usually that is due to actors' chemistry rather than compelling writing.  Not every non network show is good and there are plenty of duds too, but at least they feel more ambitious whereas a lot of network just feels tired to me.  It's no wonder to me they keep on losing ground to streaming and cable. 

9 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I'm out. I really tried to like this show. I really did.  I even like most of the characters except for Bradford. Bishop is my favorite. I liked the Captain. Nolan I'm neutral on. I don't love him. I don't hate him. But I can't get into it. Nothing has pulled me in. I'm blaming AH. I didn't like him on Castle and he was the main concern with the show but I decided to give it a chance anyways. 

That's my problem with Nolan too.  He's likable but I feel the character coasts on Nathan's charisma rather than solid writing.  He's an everyman but a bland one at that.  This is a guy who could be more sharply defined, having made such a massive mid life life change, but I feel the writers have barely created any depth from that.  And the love interest angles have never done much for the character. 

What this show has going for it to me more than anything is a solid cast.  Missing the Captain's actress though.

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 3
On 3/22/2019 at 2:44 PM, TWP said:

Ah West's father will be the new captain probably and will be dirty...a rearranged Castle. scenario  In Castle, dirty captain gets shot, (and then after interim captain disappears into the ether via budget cuts) love interest gets promoted to Captain.  In The Rookie potential love interest non-dirty captain gets shot.  Dirty captain gets the job.  I'm really seeing Castle parallels all over the place in The Rookie these days.

But the bottom line I think is budget cuts. 

My dislike for Hawley is completely off the charts.  Above. and. beyond.  

Ditto - I'm not an AH fan especially with his work on Castle.   Many fans were in an uproar when they killed off Montgomery (I believe he had atoned for those sins when he was a rookie but we'll debate that at another time, lol!) and for me, and many others, the show was never quite the same after that--especially with Capt. Gates.  Beckett wasn't made Captain until S7 after they promoted Gates to Chief or something.   It was ridiculous and stopped being an ardent (and rabid) Castle watcher and fan mid-way S6; S7 was hit and miss and didn't really care; S8 - watched a few episodes.

Hawley's ego knows no bounds and he will be the kiss of death for this show just like most things he touches.  After last weeks totally unnecessary episode, I'm hoping for cancellation.

I get emotions run high with shows on both sides, but PTV does allow love and hate posts about shows, so please do not attack your fellow posters. Scroll or report if you feel a post crosses a line.

Thanks.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Driad said:

Has Nathan Fillion said why he chose another cop show?  I liked him a lot in Firefly and early Castle, but maybe it was time for something different.

Now I'm wishing Nathan could be Max and Isobel's adoptive father or stepfather as the husband or ex husband of Vala Mal Doran/Aeryn Sun (Claudia Black) on the new Roswell New Mexico.

• Love 1