Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E16: Greenlight

• Start Topic

This will air on the 19th.

Officer Nolan gets a lesson in respect after his arrest of a gang member leads to a free-for-all on his life. Officer Chen and Officer Bradford pull over Mario Lopez, who thinks he can talk his way out of a traffic violation.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

Bradford pull over Mario Lopez, who thinks he can talk his way out of a traffic violation.

I hope it's as fun as it sounds, but wouldn't Mario Lopez have signed on for the chance to have a scene with NF?
Or maybe he's just happy to be on the set with him--maybe even happier, because he could snag an impromptu interview without having to feel like they should be running their lines together.

Edited by shapeshifter
stupid autocorrect
  • Love 1
(edited)
18 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I hope it's as fun as it sounds, but wouldn't Mario Lopez have signed on for the chance to have a scene with NF?
Or maybe he's just happy to be on the set with him--maybe even happier, because he could snag an impromptu interview without having to feel like they should be running their lines together.

Pretty sure Mario Lopez isn't that choosy with his projects and is just happy to be getting a check and craft services while building his brand by being portrayed as an exemplar of LA celebrity culture...

Edited by wknt3
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, wknt3 said:

Pretty sure Mario Lopez isn't that choosy with his projects and is just happy to be getting a check and craft services while building his brand by portrayed as an exemplar of LA celebrity culture...

He also appears to be very close friends with Eric (Bradford) based on their IG accounts. 

• Love 2

So there’s a gang of white supremacists with membership of over a thousand, access to military weapons, and the willingness to straight up murder cops when the leader orders it? What is this place, Mosul?

It makes for great and shocking drama, but come on! And why did nobody notice how long it was taking for Nolan and the Captain to deal with their call and send backup?

Edit: and the previews show ANOTHER earthquake hitting LA? Come on, Hollywood. Come up with some new material. 

Edited by Xantar
  • Love 11

It was just bizarre.  I thought I was watching an old Batman episode when instead of just killing Batman and Robin, they put them into a ridiculous situation first.   

It was just strange.  Entertaining, but strange.   That was crazy.   It makes no sense, but I was entertained.  Still shaking my head.

• Love 2

Holy shit! Captain went out bad ass. Sorry to see her go. I was expecting her Houdini trick, gunning down all three and back to her desk the next day.

Seriously, Nolan is targeted because he put his hands on her and the strap broke? I would have been fine with Nolan taking the guy's parking spot and shot up Nolan's pickup in rage.

Nolan got out on the passenger's side pretty quick. That may have been the fastest we have seen him move.

If there is a price on Nolan, why did the assassin leave and not finish the job? The terminator laughs at him.

So the cops are now motivated to do their job and clean the streets because one their cops was almost killed. Sad!

I guess news doesn't travel fast in the Southern Front community.

The openings are getting more ludicrous. How can they successfully pin the cash, drugs and drone on him?

Why tell the cops it's reversal time? Just let it happen and observe.

Mario Lopez gets a ticket and points on his license because the IA lady told him to run a stop sign. He should be livid at her but he was dumb enough to do it.

What can they possibly say to the little boy to lift his spirits? First his mom ODs and now his sister. That kid is damaged.

Good for Bradford to own up to his Isabel mistake.

• Love 9

That was just depressing. Captain Badass starts taking out all the perps and the dirtbag ringleader gets off the luckiest shot ever.

Plus, this show is becoming less about being a rookie and more about the crazy situations Nolan gets into. You can't make Castle with a cast twice the size. Otherwise, it's not an ensemble.

It's too bad, because Alicia Coppola was fun to watch at the beginning of the episode.

Edited by ketose
  • Love 7

I am really disappointed they killed off the Captain. Like, I don’t know if I want to keep watching. And I double hated the whole undercover IA thing, because the entire time I thought it was a set-up, that she was going to be fine. They went too big telling us at the beginning of all the things IA did to set-up gotchas. I kept thinking “okay, IA is going to jump out...now!”

I also thought the Captain and Nolan were going to be an endgame couple so that’s disappointing too. I hope her replacement is another woman.

I did like the Lawyer and Lopez storyline. I thought their story was nicely done-although I’m surprised at how long after the Captain was killed that he found out/called her. He’d have connections, he would have found out quickly.

I think they missed an opportunity to have the training officers at Nolan’s place. I liked that the Rookies showed up, but I’m suprised we didn’t get the Training Officers there too. It would have been nice to see a concerned conversation between Lopez, Bradford and Bishop about what they would do or how they would keep their Rookies safe. I like when we see them discuss their teaching techniques. 

Bummer episode though. It’ll be hard to come back from this one.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, SnoGirl said:

I also thought the Captain and Nolan were going to be an endgame couple so that’s disappointing too. I hope her replacement is another woman.

I'm wondering if it will be the IA officer. 

I was also shocked by the captain's death. And after she broke her thumb to escape the handcuffs, which was after holding her breath for 58 seconds underwater. BAMF she definitely was. *salutes*

• Love 11
37 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

So the cops are now motivated to do their job and clean the streets because one their cops was almost killed. Sad!

That guy with the crazy girlfriend was the one who called off the greenlight. He just decided to do it himself and defy his father.

I understand Bradford's explanation about the raid. People buy drugs and go to prostitutes, so trying to eliminate them is like whack-a-mole. The point of this raid was to send a message to Southern Front that ordering the murder of a cop means you lose your drug business and some other gang who doesn't kill cops gets it instead.

2 minutes ago, SnoGirl said:

I'll say one thing. I'll be pissed if they killed off Captain Anderson to make Sarah Shahi the new captain.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, ketose said:

That guy with the crazy girlfriend was the one who called off the greenlight. He just decided to do it himself and defy his father.

I understand Bradford's explanation about the raid. People buy drugs and go to prostitutes, so trying to eliminate them is like whack-a-mole. The point of this raid was to send a message to Southern Front that ordering the murder of a cop means you lose your drug business and some other gang who doesn't kill cops gets it instead.

I see. Was it mentioned why they didn't go to Cole from the start instead of raids? Just yank him in the station for a little chat and pressure.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, ketose said:

I'll say one thing. I'll be pissed if they killed off Captain Anderson to make Sarah Shahi the new captain.

That is certainly a possibility, and there is even a lookalike resemblance between them. They could pass for sisters.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Xantar said:

So there’s a gang of white supremacists with membership of over a thousand, access to military weapons, and the willingness to straight up murder cops when the leader orders it? What is this place, Mosul?

You don't have to go that far. Sounds pretty much like the (old days of the) mafia.

I'm bummed about the Captain. Since the officer in charge of the rookies was so biased against Nolan, I really liked that he had an ally in the Captain. Made me like her immediately. I hope that they're going to put someone like-minded in her place.

• Love 12
6 hours ago, ketose said:

'll say one thing. I'll be pissed if they killed off Captain Anderson to make Sarah Shahi the new captain.

She's in the private sector and ex police. Can she jump to captain from the outside?

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

I see. Was it mentioned why they didn't go to Cole from the start instead of raids? Just yank him in the station for a little chat and pressure.

Just guessing, but either they didn't know where he was, didn't have any evidence of him ordering a hit, or both.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, ketose said:

Just guessing, but either they didn't know where he was, didn't have any evidence of him ordering a hit, or both.

Grey should have gone to the source. Once the father told him only Cole can lift the greenlight, they should have questioned anyone of the 50+ guys they had in lockup to find Cole's whereabouts (one would have talked). 

Grey was so quick to take the father's word and broadcast all is back to normal. I hope he isn't a news reporter after is police career is over.

5 hours ago, ketose said:

You can't make Castle ...

I'm glad it isn't Castle.

And that they have moved romance off screen, at least for the moment.

John and Lucy are amicably over, the profiler from last week is still around but in his private not work life.

Leaves more time for some thrilling heroics.

• Love 8

Evidently, I hadn't read any spoilers but WTF - why did they kill off Captain Anderson (Mercedes Mason)?   I liked her and the character.  Guess you can't have a strong, competent, intelligent beautiful woman in command?   That was the biggest shocker, for me, in this episode.   Does anyone know why the writers went this route?  Did she want out (of her contract?) to pursue other things?  Don't understand this and not sure if I'll continue to watch.

I had posted previously that it would have been nice to see a relationship develop between Nolan and the Captain, especially, as a rookie, being involved with someone higher up and trying to keep that secret; unfortunately, not meant to be.

Edited by cathmed
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9
On 3/19/2019 at 11:38 PM, SnoGirl said:

I am really disappointed they killed off the Captain. Like, I don’t know if I want to keep watching. And I double hated the whole undercover IA thing, because the entire time I thought it was a set-up, that she was going to be fine. They went too big telling us at the beginning of all the things IA did to set-up gotchas. I kept thinking “okay, IA is going to jump out...now!”

I did like the Lawyer and Lopez storyline. I thought their story was nicely done-although I’m surprised at how long after the Captain was killed that he found out/called her. He’d have connections, he would have found out quickly.

I think they missed an opportunity to have the training officers at Nolan’s place. I liked that the Rookies showed up, but I’m suprised we didn’t get the Training Officers there too. It would have been nice to see a concerned conversation between Lopez, Bradford and Bishop about what they would do or how they would keep their Rookies safe. I like when we see them discuss their teaching techniques. 

Bummer episode though. It’ll be hard to come back from this one.

Yes to all of this!   So, the only real IA thing was Lopez?   I, too, thought that it might be a set-up scenario with the Captain/Nolan being "captured" but unbelievably, it was not.   I'm still reeling as to why they killed off the Captain.

Edited by cathmed
  • Love 7
9 hours ago, mxc90 said:

Seriously, Nolan is targeted because he put his hands on her and the strap broke? I would have been fine with Nolan taking the guy's parking spot and shot up Nolan's pickup in rage.

Nolan got out on the passenger's side pretty quick. That may have been the fastest we have seen him move.

If there is a price on Nolan, why did the assassin leave and not finish the job? The terminator laughs at him.

The openings are getting more ludicrous. How can they successfully pin the cash, drugs and drone on him?

Why tell the cops it's reversal time? Just let it happen and observe.

Yeah - not the most well written or realistic episode.    I noticed all of that as well especially Nolan getting out of the car, lol!   And what about him diving into the pool and then bringing the Captain out of the water like the Incredible Hulk (where's that eye-rolling emoji when you need it!!)

• Love 3
9 hours ago, ketose said:

That was just depressing. Captain Badass starts taking out all the perps and the dirtbag ringleader gets off the luckiest shot ever.

Plus, this show is becoming less about being a rookie and more about the crazy situations Nolan gets into. You can't make Castle with a cast twice the size. Otherwise, it's not an ensemble.

Yep - I knew she was going to take out the last creep and then she got shot/seriously wounded, I stared at the TV in disbelief.

Yeah, that's the problem with AH, TPW along with other Castle writers for this show.  You can't make this into what was.   It would be different if Nolan was street smart, a really cool guy, his family was on police force, been a volunteer or involved in police work or just a plain bad ass himself but he's none of those things and it shows.   He comes across as a typical nice homebody guy who just decided, "hey, I want to be a cop".   As the Richard Castle character said (paraphrasing - about following Beckett), "I had so much fun playing cop!"   BTW, did they ever explain why he really wanted to be a cop?  

Edited by cathmed
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, ketose said:

Who is she and what is her connection with The Rookie??

I'll give the writers credit for not telegraphing this one. 

I liked the police captain character, I wonder if the actress wanted out - I thought she was underutilized at times and liked episodes like tonight where she was out on the street.  The series originally had a 13 episode order, so maybe when it got extended she asked out  . Or the showrunners are trying to trim main cast/cost to ensure the chance of being renewed. 

I hope going forward they explore the effects it has on Nolan . Seeing an officer die in his arms should have an effect. 

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, Msample said:

I'll give the writers credit for not telegraphing this one. 

I liked the police captain character, I wonder if the actress wanted out - I thought she was underutilized at times and liked episodes like tonight where she was out on the street.  The series originally had a 13 episode order, so maybe when it got extended she asked out  . Or the showrunners are trying to trim main cast/cost to ensure the chance of being renewed. 

I hope going forward they explore the effects it has on Nolan . Seeing an officer die in his arms should have an effect. 

Agreed - she had been underutilized but over the last several episodes, she seem to have more of a role, i.e., interacting with team, coaching/mentoring the rookies, etc., - just began to show more of a human side--not just command, which I liked.  And, now, they kill her off - SMH.    And even though NF is EP (in name, title and gets more $$ for that), he is good friends with AH and has input into the storylines.    Does anyone know if it's been renewed or cancelled?

• Love 3
20 hours ago, cathmed said:

I had posted previously that it would have been nice to see a relationship develop between Nolan and the Captain, especially, as a rookie, being involved with someone higher up and trying to keep that secret; unfortunately, not meant to be.

A captain secretly dating a rookie would be a gross abuse of power and not at all something this by-the-book captain would have done. All her hard work would have been wasted when the secret was exposed and she was fired.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 12

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think this was a mistake. The show doesn't have the weight and gravitas to go dark like this, especially not in the first season. It's not what I came here for. Nolan has already seen a few people die in his arms including a corrections officer whose last thought was of the woman he loved, so there's already plenty of material for him to develop angst and explore his mental health if that's where they want to go. I'm not sure I want to continue further, especially when 9-1-1 will give me my fix for crazy situations.

• Love 5

I have a feeling this captain killing was a budget cutting move in the hope of renewal.  But a show that doesn't mind killing off some of its ensemble really isn't my idea of fun.  Back to comedies, I guess ;-).  Bad move, show.  It really is a huge mistake.  Hawley is already being asked, "can we trust you ever again?"  The answer is no.  I think they thought this would be a big PR move.  They were right about that, but in the wrong direction.  I can smell the desperation. 

Strangely now I'm hoping for cancellation and keep and improve WC instead.  Would serve 'em right as far as I'm concerned.  A Hawley show is never going to be a great show.  Ever.  No matter who else is in it.  If TR is renewed, prepare for Hawley to do all kinds of things that fans hate and then to scream "fan entitlement" when people complain.  No thank you, Mr. Hawley.

Edited by TWP
fan entitlement addition.
  • Love 5

Worst episode ever.  Was it written by Hawley?  Even if it wasn't, killing the Capt. wouldn't have happened if he hadn't conceived or okayed it.  Unfortunately, I was spoiled. Argh, social media. I've commented before that this isn't the kind of show that goes dark, that has cops being bad etc., so count me surprised that it would kill off a series regular (at this early stage).  Bad call imo.  First of all I thought the storytelling was a melodramatic mess this episode and it was a cheap death with too much stupidity that neither the character of the Captain nor the actress deserved.  I thought the climatic scenes were incredulous more than compelling myself.  I'm never a fan when they turn the volume up to melodrama and that's what they did here.  The show does better when it's slice of life rather than high action shootouts.  I am sorry, but this episode wasn't well written enough to generate any pathos for me from the Capt's death.  It was just like one minute she was here and the next she was dead and oh now life goes on except we'll wear black ribbons on our badges.  It all felt like surface emotion rather than anything moving that good writing does.

Just the idea that it was the 2 of them out on patrol(which I would have loved to see more in any other circumstances, alas) with a target on Nolan's back without additional backup seemed the height of foolishness to me.  I'm not sure the Captain egging on a killer with a fragile ego was the smartest idea ever either. And the idea that cops only turned on the pressure on gangs when one of their own was a target didn't sit well with me.  The end scene of Nolan arresting the idiot didn't do anything for me.  The sentiments delivered by the cops re dead Capt were well said but those lines were so heavy handed. No nuance, no subtlety, no messy emotions that come with a shocking death like this.  So basically this episode did not work for me and not just because they killed off the Capt. 

I also think they made the wrong move to kill the Capt because A) we'll see, but I'm not convinced that it's going to drive the storytelling forward in a big way and I'm not convinced that failing to save someone/one of them getting shot (which already happened) couldn't have driven storytelling in those directions. B) This is the first time I've watched Mercedes Mason in anything but I thought she had a really likable screen presence here which was an asset to the show, and she had good chemistry with NF as well as others.  It's a shame to see her go.  C) The Capt. character was definitely underutilized and as I've said before, kind of a thankless role in these shows because the writers never seem to know what to do with her.  But the tidbits they dropped about the Capt being ex-Marine and being divorced could have been explored further.  As was the idea that she chose Nolan to come to her precinct because she saw the value in his experience.  It all just felt like an unnecessary death of a character and a cheap kill to shock, cheap way to shake things up for an episode or two.

Finally, I also don't think showing a white supremacist gang with military grade weapons was the most sensitive move this week in light of the white supermacist killing in NZ.  But hey, if a fictional killing of a TV character by a white surpremacist with military grade weapons can actually make the U.S. do something about gun control for once, I'm all for it.  But doubtful. 

To summarize, this was the worst episode by far for me. It amplified all the weaknesses in the writing, especially when it descended into melodrama but even before that.  The writing on this show has been mediocre at best, but there were moments when I thought it might get better.  Not here. 

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 2

I think they killed the Captain to save money and because they were having trouble working her into storylines.    They already have the Sergeant, who is basically admin   Now they have to work in the new love-interest, Nolan's son, and his friend/landlord, not to mention Lopez's love interest.  Once the Rookie's split from their TO's and go solo they are going to have to go from 3 Rookie storylines a week to 6 to cover the Rookies and TO's.  That's a lot to work into 1 episode.

• Love 1

I seem to recall a mythbusters about guns and water. Are these special cop guns that resist being waterlogged? the google says after being wet most normal guns are only good for one shot.

I was seriously surprised. Nolan is having a bad rookie year. He needs to be on parking ticket duty.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
22 minutes ago, andipandi said:

I seem to recall a mythbusters about guns and water. Are these special cop guns that resist being waterlogged? the google says after being wet most normal guns are only good for one shot.

I was seriously surprised. Nolan is having a bad rookie year. He needs to be on parking ticket duty.

IIRC the Mythbusters episode was about how far underwater a bullet could penetrate, not whether the gun would fire at all . Considering how brief the gun was underwater and the point blank range, its not a stretch. 

• Love 2

The one thing I really liked about this show and what made it seem different that most cop shows on tv, is that it seemed to be committed to showing the day-to-day mundane stuff cops deal with, with a side of humor and some angst and with some personal drama filtered through it.  But this episode shat all over that. 

I mean, if they wanted to kill off the Captain, then kill her off.  But do it so it fits into the conceit of the show.  I was bad enough they had to kill her, but I think it would have been just as effective (and even moreso) if she had been killed doing something 'normal' like intervening in a domestic dispute off duty or something.

But making this some elaborate Neo Nazi super hit was just.... ugh.

• Love 3

I liked the Captain, and I'm sorry she has been written out.  

Now, maybe I'm wrong, because what do I know?  But that entire scene with the flag-wrapped body-bag being wheeled out to the ambulance while a couple dozen cops form a corridor with saluting and so forth...  that whole thing strikes me as bogus.  I was expecting a piper to crawl out of the bushes and begin skirling!  

2 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

I liked the Captain, and I'm sorry she has been written out.  

Now, maybe I'm wrong, because what do I know?  But that entire scene with the flag-wrapped body-bag being wheeled out to the ambulance while a couple dozen cops form a corridor with saluting and so forth...  that whole thing strikes me as bogus.  I was expecting a piper to crawl out of the bushes and begin skirling!  

I've seen this on Major Crimes and Chicago PD, so I'm assuming this is (close to) how it happens.

• Love 3

But a show that doesn't mind killing off some of its ensemble really isn't my idea of fun.

As a fan of Joss Whedon shows, I'm used to being tortured in that way. LOL. But it was still a bummer because I liked her character. At least she went out like a badass.

I thought for a moment she was going to take out the whole crew and the cops would show up just in time to see her uncuffing Nolan from the chair and she'd be all, 'What took you so long?' Sadly, not how it went down.

• Love 1

Have these people never seen "The Godfather"? As soon as I realized that music was not background music on the show, but music playing where the characters could hear it, I knew it was a set-up for a bloodbath.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
6 minutes ago, auntlada said:

Have these people never seen "The Godfather"? As soon as I realized that music was not background music on the show, but music playing where the characters could hear it, I knew it was a set-up for a bloodbath.

1 hour ago, CheshireCat said:

Sure. Whatever.
Here's my personal theory based on my own interpretation of what I've seen (and read on these threads):
TPTB noticed that NF seemed too old for romance with the fellow rookie, but that he and the Captain were in that Goldilocks zone.
But she was his Captain.
So, enter Captain's phenotype, the still slightly more glamorous Sara Shahi as someone who is in Nolan's sphere but not his direct superior.
And then get rid of the Captain. How? Ooo. Godfather style.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, cathmed said:

And what about him diving into the pool and then bringing the Captain out of the water like the Incredible Hulk

Well,actually, NF spends a lot of his vacation time underwater, so I guess he has skillz.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, SnoGirl said:

And I double hated the whole undercover IA thing, because the entire time I thought it was a set-up, that she was going to be fine. They went too big telling us at the beginning of all the things IA did to set-up gotchas. I kept thinking “okay, IA is going to jump out...now!”

That would have really crossed a line. At first I was thinking it might be the IA also. As it got more and more elaborate, I started thinking, "If this is all just a set-up to take Nolan to the edge, then I'm done watching for good."

I don't really have a problem with them killing off the Captain.  I liked the character well enough, but they didn't really use her for much.  If the role never existed in the first place we never would have missed her.  I agree with earlier posts about the Capt. and Nolan being off on their own, Capt. antagonizing the bad guys, back up being really damn slow, etc., as not great writing. 

I think they set did a poor job of setting up the incident with the girlfriend of the white supremacist in the first place.  I would just assume that the girlfriend of a white supremacist would also be just a teeny weeny bit racist as well, but she had absolutely no problem with Talia being at the scene, including Talia adjusting her dress for her.  It would have made a bit more sense for the later plot development if she were hostile to Talia (or the Asian valet), not wanting Talia to touch her.

• Love 1

I confess, I was wondering if it was some setup as to the burglary and the son stabbed his dad in the back. I would think they would have called for back up as they saw the door open or noticed how long it was taking Nolan and Andersen to come back? 

I would be surprised if they recast the Capt. and I did like her though.

For a guy who fired that man shots, I wonder how far the other two were from Nolan's truck cause it seemed like it took forever.  

I don't think it was a good idea to tell the cops that there are fakes out there pretending to be IA but I would not be happy if I was the cops pulling over Mario and finding out that it was faked. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, TWP said:

I have a feeling this captain killing was a budget cutting move in the hope of renewal.  But a show that doesn't mind killing off some of its ensemble really isn't my idea of fun.  Back to comedies, I guess ;-).  Bad move, show.  It really is a huge mistake.  Hawley is already being asked, "can we trust you ever again?"  The answer is no.  I think they thought this would be a big PR move.  They were right about that, but in the wrong direction.  I can smell the desperation. 

Strangely now I'm hoping for cancellation and keep and improve WC instead.  Would serve 'em right as far as I'm concerned.  A Hawley show is never going to be a great show.  Ever.  No matter who else is in it.  If TR is renewed, prepare for Hawley to do all kinds of things that fans hate and then to scream "fan entitlement" when people complain.  No thank you, Mr. Hawley.

I don't even think there was much publicity. 10 minute after the episode, #therookie wasn't trending.

5 hours ago, andipandi said:

Not knowing guns that well, I think if she had a gun that ejects bullets (semi-automatic?) the ammunition and the gun would be operational after being in the water. Most of the damage would be after the water started corroding the gun.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Waterston Fan said:

I confess, I was wondering if it was some setup as to the burglary and the son stabbed his dad in the back. I would think they would have called for back up as they saw the door open or noticed how long it was taking Nolan and Andersen to come back? 

I would be surprised if they recast the Capt. and I did like her though.

For a guy who fired that man shots, I wonder how far the other two were from Nolan's truck cause it seemed like it took forever.  

I don't think it was a good idea to tell the cops that there are fakes out there pretending to be IA but I would not be happy if I was the cops pulling over Mario and finding out that it was faked. 

I'd have to watch again, but I thought the captain did call in that they had an open door before they entered.

• Love 2