Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E03: Kody Wants Out

• Start Topic

From what I've read most Mormons are not okay with drinking alcohol, so, I was surprised that Kody said he was okay with wine and beer at the reception.  My parents are Baptists and that is NOT okay at all.  lol  I definitely get the impression the Browns are more progressive with accepting or acquiescing  may be the better term of gays and alcohol.  I recall the ladies ordering a drink once in a restaurant.  I think one was a hold out.  I can't recall which one it was though. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Spiderella2 said:

Just quoted to give you all snaps. Hit the nail on the head, my sentiments exactly. This relationship is over. They need to stop torturing each other. They just need to end it and go their separate ways. 

For there to be any hope of forgiveness or reconciliation in a relationship, the Offender must first 1. acknowledge what they did wrong to hurt the other person, 2. show remorse and 3. vow to never do it again. 

They can go through 10,000 hours of therapy but will never come to any of these conclusions. What they need is a real honest Iyanla FIX MY LIFE moment. 

Kody needs to say, “I’m sorry that  I married Janelle (your former sister-in-law and brothers ex-Wife) without considering your feelings, and so soon after marrying you. I’m sorry that through the years, I’ve never been supportive enough to you, esp when you were going through your fertility and empty nest issues.  I’m sorry that each time I get a new wife, I ignore you in favor of them. I’m sorry that I emotionally disconnected from you for YEARS (as long as we’ve been on this show). I’m sorry I agreed to your harebrained scheme (or manipulated you into agreeing) to give up your legal first wife status. I realize now how much that meant to who you are as a person. I’m sorry I have ignored your feelings for over a decade and found solace in the arms of another. Obviously POLYGAMY is the root of most the issues in our relationship. Also I’m extremely narcissistic and require lots of adoring attention—-I take ownership for that. Moving forward, I will put your needs ahead of my own and others. I will agree to let you leave my planet if that is what is going to make you happy because I love you enough to place your happiness over my selfish ego. Please forgive me. 

Meri needs to say, “I’m sorry I am a constant victim and have nailed myself in the martyrs cross. I understand now how that turned you off from our relationship.  I suffered extreme loneliness when MARIAH moved out and you didn’t feel the same. I’m sorry I am a sucking abyss of neediness and clinginess. This is because I don’t get enough attention from you due to POLYGAMY!  I’m sorry I went outside of our relationship looking for an emotional connection with some other male (the Catfisher) while you were so involved with your other wives and kids.  It was a cry for attention, and you didn’t even notice. The honest truth is that If I hadn’t been caught by a Catfisher, I would have ditched you for my billionaire vegan boyfriend. Moving forward, I will stop being so selfish, and focus on how I can find joy in our POLYGAMOUS life, because this is the life I choose OR I have decided to leave because I no longer want this life, it makes me miserable and unhappy. 

This is the conversation I’m waiting for them to have, but they will never have. They think they are selling us the polygamy story, but the more we watch, from the very first episode, we all see how miserable these women are. Like someone upthread said, they are all eating their feelings.  The only happy wife is the favorite wife of that moment in time. The other 3 are just miserable and existing, waiting for the sun (Kody) to shine on them again. 

I love all of this. Meri and Kody were having problems before she became involved with "Sam". The conversation should have started there, but by that time I think Kody had already dismissed Meri as needy and bothersome. We know the rest. 

As much as watching Meri find a reason to cry every episode is somehow satisfying (because she's so narcissistic), it's getting tiresome. The relationship amongst all of them is broken when It involves Meri. They're all afraid of how Meri going to react and Meri thinks they're all against her. That's not a way to co-exist and it doesn't seem fixable, especially if Meri truly hates the lifestyle. 

It would be great if Meri moved on after the show. She seems to do best when she is "on her own". 

• Love 12
9 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

From what I've read most Mormons are not okay with drinking alcohol, so, I was surprised that Kody said he was okay with wine and beer at the reception.  My parents are Baptists and that is NOT okay at all.  lol  I definitely get the impression the Browns are more progressive with accepting or acquiescing  may be the better term of gays and alcohol.  I recall the ladies ordering a drink once in a restaurant.  I think one was a hold out.  I can't recall which one it was though. 

I believe Janelle and Christine sampled something. Meri and Robyn did not. I think this was in the episode where they went dress shopping, and Truely got ill at home. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 2/10/2019 at 7:10 PM, CSunshine76 said:

These people wouldn’t know proper hosting if it bit them in the face. Invite 100 people to have a sit down dinner, and then later an additional 300 get to have snacks?  Do those 300 not go to the ceremony?  No. This is not how it works!

Gah, they infuriate me with their terrible manners! Fully host (NO cash bars) what you can afford. No one needs 400 people at their wedding and reception.

Wait.  I watched this shit show TWICE and didn't get this from it!?  I pay less attn than I thought!

• Love 2
On 2/10/2019 at 8:06 PM, Pachengala said:

A cash bar is the height of wedding tackiness. You are hosting a party—if you can’t afford to feed and bev your guests, have fewer guests. 

I agree that etiquette is relaxing to an alarming degree but this is one standard that’s remained consistent. 

I don't think so at all.  I have been to a ton of weddings and only 1 was a free bar.  I would hate to be thought of as tacky if I was providing the best I could.  At my wedding we didn't have a bar.  If someone wanted alcohol we had a keg and non alcoholic drinks.  But if someone thought I was tacky because I had a cash bar then those people should not have been on my guest list to begin with.

• Love 21
7 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

-Janelle is trying REALLY hard to be perky and it is not genuine.  She didn't go to the opening of Lizzies because her ex may be there.  Awkward family dynamics.  

Janelle was there standing beside Robyn.

• Love 6
45 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

-Meri, get the 'service dog' out of Lizzie's kitchen.  I don't want any of his hair in my cinnamon roll.  

OH YEAH - I completely forgot - she couldn't put the dog down or he would pee on her rug!!  Can't they house train him???

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

From what I've read most Mormons are not okay with drinking alcohol, so, I was surprised that Kody said he was okay with wine and beer at the reception. 

The Browns started out as AUB but long ago seem to have veered into worshiping at the Church of the Almighty Dollar and Ratings where you make up the rules to fit the situation.  Whatever suits the occasion is their tenet (or "tenant" as Sobyn used to say).  Kootie even embraced Judaism for a short period (probably just the day they were filming) to allow him to get all self righteous about eschewing the consumption of pork.  Moron.

• LOL 2
  • Love 8

I do wonder how the younger kids are supposed to learn about their faith if they are not attending Bible and Book of Mormon studies.  And what about missions?  Is that just a LDS practice?  I will say that Kody does seem to have a good working knowledge of Mormon history and teachings.  So, I guess that he is ignoring part of that in order to make a living. I'm not totally opposed to that.  Sort of like how the Osmonds didn't drink, but, performed in Vegas night clubs that did....even when they were kids.  

I "think" I remember Robyn being the hold-out on the alcohol. She was still in her honeymoon and holier-than-thou phase. After a while, Kody makes everyone want to drink just to put up with him.

• LOL 7
  • Love 8

I do believe Cody chooses religion when it suits him. In this last episode they were talking about their church that they go to and something stupid about the parking lots, but I remember in earlier episodes in Vegas, they were all gathered in someones living room claiming that they had their own church in probably whose ever house was the cleanest on that day.  If I were any of those wives, I would be stashing a couple of bottles of vino someplace for when I have some alone time and enjoying that with a pizza and an episode of Snapped.

• LOL 12
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, b2H said:

There isn't enough story in this show anymore for their needing to take two hours.  Mostly, it's repetitive like the secrets episode where they droned on for the better part of an hour and said pretty much nothing that we either didn't already know or simply didn't care about.

The episode before "Kody Wants Out" was flagged as "New," and then turned out to be a two-hour re-re-re-cap of literally everything we've already seen, with maybe 15 seconds extra bonus footage thrown in.  How, pray tell, is that considered "new?"  And enough with the two-hour slogfests!  Is TLC really hard up for programming?  When an episode of Sister Wives takes longer to watch than your average theater movie, enough's enough - especially when 50% of it is recapping what we just saw before the previous commercial break.  I realize that many of us might be drunk from taking shots at the word "Parowan" (just me?), but surely we can recall most of what we watched 3 minutes ago.

35 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

The Browns started out as AUB but long ago seem to have veered into worshiping at the Church of the Almighty Dollar and Ratings where you make up the rules to fit the situation.  Whatever suits the occasion is their tenet (or "tenant" as Sobyn used to say).  Kootie even embraced Judaism for a short period (probably just the day they were filming) to allow him to get all self righteous about eschewing the consumption of pork.  Moron.

My take has long been that Kody initially had something to prove to the people who thought he was gay...I still remember being struck when Kody met up with some former high school friends and discovered that his orientation was in question back in the day.  I don't care if he is, isn't, was, or wasn't, but I know he went on a mission, came back and discovered that his parents had decided on plural marriage, and saw a way to make sure people changed their tune about him.  I could be way off base, but in the beginning the Browns chose to show us a set of rules that they now completely ignore.  If Kody is The General, his flock should follow his direction.  His kids do not.  To me, that tells us that he's not the enforcer he likes us to think he is.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 13

I assumed that when Christine referred to the parking lot at their church, she meant the one back in Utah that they attended before they moved.  Didn't they comment years ago, after the move, that there were no other members of their church near by and they were concerned about that vis-a-vis their kids' faith/morals/values/style-of-dress?

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
15 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

I realize that many of us might be drunk from taking shots at the word "Parowan" (just me?), but surely we can recall most of what we watched 3 minutes ago.

49 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

I thought everyone was sloshed from "on my own".  lol

• LOL 10
1 hour ago, Natalie68 said:

I don't think so at all.  I have been to a ton of weddings and only 1 was a free bar.  I would hate to be thought of as tacky if I was providing the best I could.  At my wedding we didn't have a bar.  If someone wanted alcohol we had a keg and non alcoholic drinks.  But if someone thought I was tacky because I had a cash bar then those people should not have been on my guest list to begin with.

Well again, this isn’t just my opinion—I am supported by the primary sources of American wedding etiquette; please feel free to google it. Naturally these do not need to inform your personal feelings about it, but nor do your personal feelings mean that it’s not the etiquette. I fear this is getting off topic so I think I’ll shut up about this topic now.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Pachengala said:

Well again, this isn’t just my opinion—I am supported by the primary sources of American wedding etiquette; please feel free to google it. Naturally these do not need to inform your personal feelings about it, but nor do your personal feelings mean that it’s not the etiquette. I fear this is getting off topic so I think I’ll shut up about this topic now.

Nah I think I will pass but thank you for suggesting I google.  I will also stay true to my opinion that anyone that EXPECTS free drinks or a that the host should have a smaller crowd so you all can have free drinks isn't someone I would want at my wedding anyway.

To stay on topic, that last venue was stunning.

• Love 13

I like hearing everyone's different viewpoints on wedding etiquette.  Weddings have changed so much through the years.   

Just for fun (not that anyone cares!) ... here is my wedding photo.   And my groom with his dad and two moms.  ; )

My wedding.jpg

Edited by Kyanight
  • Love 23
22 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

Was.  He's dead.

And how does your husband feel about polygamy?  Or is that too personal a question?

Edited by Kohola3
Clarify the first posting.
8 hours ago, Spiderella2 said:

Kody needs to say, “I’m sorry that  I married Janelle (your former sister-in-law and brothers ex-Wife) without considering your feelings, and so soon after marrying you. I’m sorry that through the years, I’ve never been supportive enough to you, esp when you were going through your fertility and empty nest issues.  I’m sorry that each time I get a new wife, I ignore you in favor of them. I’m sorry that I emotionally disconnected from you for YEARS (as long as we’ve been on this show). I’m sorry I agreed to your harebrained scheme (or manipulated you into agreeing) to give up your legal first wife status. I realize now how much that meant to who you are as a person. I’m sorry I have ignored your feelings for over a decade and found solace in the arms of another. Obviously POLYGAMY is the root of most the issues in our relationship. Also I’m extremely narcissistic and require lots of adoring attention—-I take ownership for that. Moving forward, I will put your needs ahead of my own and others. I will agree to let you leave my planet if that is what is going to make you happy because I love you enough to place your happiness over my selfish ego. Please forgive me. 

Meri needs to say, “I’m sorry I am a constant victim and have nailed myself in the martyrs cross. I understand now how that turned you off from our relationship.  I suffered extreme loneliness when MARIAH moved out and you didn’t feel the same. I’m sorry I am a sucking abyss of neediness and clinginess. This is because I don’t get enough attention from you due to POLYGAMY!  I’m sorry I went outside of our relationship looking for an emotional connection with some other male (the Catfisher) while you were so involved with your other wives and kids.  It was a cry for attention, and you didn’t even notice. The honest truth is that If I hadn’t been caught by a Catfisher, I would have ditched you for my billionaire vegan boyfriend. Moving forward, I will stop being so selfish, and focus on how I can find joy in our POLYGAMOUS life, because this is the life I choose OR I have decided to leave because I no longer want this life, it makes me miserable and unhappy. 

This would be perfect for Kody to say.  I would really go a long way in their relationship.  I can't agree with Meri's part though.  Yes, of course she was wrong to effectively cheat, that is understood.  But she cheated for the same reason most people have cheated....their needs weren't met and for a very long time.   His needs were met x 4 (as you so eloquently stated in his wished-for apology)....hers never were.  I can't condone cheating, but I can easily understand the reason.  

• Love 7
20 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

I like hearing everyone's different viewpoints on wedding etiquette.  Weddings have changed so much through the years.   

Just for fun (not that anyone cares!) ... here is my wedding photo.   And my groom with his dad and two moms.  ; )

My wedding.jpg

Your dad looks like Virl Osmond!

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Granny58 said:

the one far to the left?  

oh!  No.  That's my dad on the far left.  Sorry, I got confuzzled.

22 minutes ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

did either of his wives have a wetbar ?   I kid.. 

One had a hot tub.  lol

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

Your father-in-law is a polygamist? 

Wow, I thought maybe it was his mom and stepmom.  

Interesting.  I don't know any polygamists personally.  Were they happy with it?  Just curious, don't want to get too personal either.

1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

And how does your husband feel about polygamy?  Or is that too personal a question?

I'm not ignoring you, I've started and backspaced over my reply ten times now.  I will answer this later.

9 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Were they happy with it?  Just curious

Yes, they were fine with it for the most part.

• Love 3

I’m so confused with this fundamentalist Morman religion....

They can drink alcohol?

They can keeping saying flock instead of f*ck?

They can dance?

...isn’t FLDS and other polygamists related Mormonism about being closer to original teachings?  Not “let’s marry a lot and ignore everything else?”

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I haven't watched any episode this season until this one on repeat the other day.  These people IMO are so darn boring!  I can't remember one thing.  But dang does Kody look bad!  From man bun to Medusa hair.  Neither is a good look.  

I don't like any of them, never have and never will.  Can't help but wonder if they're this horrid on TV, what are they like IRL?  

Edited by Otter
  • Love 4
On 2/10/2019 at 8:23 PM, Galloway Cave said:

FUCK YOU KODY. Scoliosis will adversely impact her life in many ways. 

God I hate this ignorant man.

Kody is the dumbest, most selfish person on the planet.  Ysabel wants the surgery. It is HER body, not his.  And he doesn’t like Dr. Camp because science?  I just can’t with him.  And then he is all upset because he wants to move and his wives and children’s don’t?  He is such a tool.

• Love 16

I am astonished that the lovely Aspen is with this beast.  There are so many red flags.  I wanted to punch his ugly face when he agreed that Aspen cares more about him than he does about her.  This is her mother’s marriage all over again.  And there will definitely be plural wives down the road.  He really thinks he is the shit.

• Love 20

I'm genuinely curious how Kody and the wives would react if one of their daughters wasn't engaged to be a first wife, but instead was engaged to be an older dude's 2nd, 3rd or 4th wife.  I suspect the wives would support it due to the cognitive dissonance required to validate their own stations in life.  But I have a feeling that Kody wouldn't be thrilled.  

• Love 5

Kody’s hair...it’s baffling. He’s clearly receding in the front. The ridiculous ponytail, coupled with the pubic hair on his chin, plus the long gray sideburns— it only accentuates his hair loss. Ugh!! He can’t think that’s a good look, can he?  He’s married to 4 women and not one of them thinks to pull him aside and tell him he looks like a douche?

Edited by Phoebe70
Typo
  • LOL 9
  • Love 1

I just can't get over the fact that those frumpy Duggar girls managed to snag better looking husbands than the Brown girls.

I thought it rather telling that the Sister Wives all rallied behind Aspyn and assured her that they would make sure she got the wedding of her dream, because if memory serves, they did no such thing with Mykelti.  Is it my imagination or has Mykelti and Tony been banished? 

• Love 9
On 2/11/2019 at 3:37 PM, Granny58 said:

A-!  wow, American kids would love that.  Here's it's a B-.  Here is a copy and past from my local school district:     A93-100,  A-90-92,   B+87-89,   B 83-86,  B-80-82, C+77-79,  C73-76,  C-70-72,  D+67-69,  D63-66,  D-60-62,  F59 and below. 

It's actually different in different places in the US.  Where and when I grew up in NYC an A was 95-100, A- was 90-94, B+ was 85-89, B was 80-84, B- was 75-79, C was 70-74, C- was 65-69, and D was 60-64.  F was also 59 and below.

10 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

My husband was a wedding photographer for 30 years and says that a cash bar is still widely considered tacky but in spite of that it seems that they are on the rise because of the crazy prices the venues charge for it.   I got married a zillion years ago but it was still expensive - relatives pitched in to give us the cost of the cash bar as a gift.  You mean to tell me that with all those relatives they couldn't get anyone to help with the cost?

In other opinions, ITA with everyone about Mitch.  I had such high hopes for Aspyn as she seemed so bright and lovely, but she is clearly naive and not seeing the entire picture with this guy.  He seems so smug and full of himself, and that crazy old man beard of his in the wedding photo - Yikes.  When you have a fat face that's the last thing that would look good on it.  I guess the female Brown children think the wild man look is cool - after all their father sports the scary hair look himself.  But at least he isn't also very overweight.

I agree with whoever said upthread about Mariah being insufferable about her mother's dream, like she is so above her own family, give me a break.  Sure, it's a dumpy old grandma's house but this is her family too.  One of these days she might actually wish she had appreciated her family history.  I get it that she is distancing herself from them for her own reasons but this is her mother, the least she could do is show some support for her even if it's not also her dream.  I don't care how her relationship with Meri is, she is still her mom.  Mariah needs to get over herself in a big way.  I'm no Meri lover but Mariah is so vile she almost makes me feel sorry for her!

Oh and I am ROTFLMAO about the Virl resemblance above - I thought that too, LOL!  I think the woman next to him (his wife?) looks a little like Olive, the Osmond mom.

• Love 7
On 2/11/2019 at 10:56 AM, Anlogle said:

I'm just curiuos. How did you watch last nights episode last week.  I didn't think episodes were available for viewing anywhere else until they aired on their scheduled date on TLC.

For some reason, it was available a week ahead of time on OnDemand (Comcast) in the Seattle area. I keep meaning to check if that continues to be true for each episode and I would do so now except I’m in bed and feeling as lazy as Kody. I’ll try to remember to check it in the morning. 

Poor Ysabel.

I didn’t see anyone else mention this, but do you think another reason why Kody is so vehemently against the surgery at this time is because he knows that he doesn’t have the finances to cover it? I mean, I doubt that the Brown clan has decent health insurance for all 29 individuals, and if they do, it’s probably a really basic, emergency-only kind of plan for the younger kids and pregnant-possible Sobbyn. They may have made the decision to drop comprehensive coverage on the older kids, especially the middle school and older college age ones. Maybe Ysabel falls in that bracket. Even if they had a basic insurance plan like Obamacare, there is probably still going to be some out of pocket exoenses.

Knowing how the Browns don’t plan long term, they probably don’t even have decent health care coverage. Whatever they have or don’t have, I doubt this would cover fully a major surgery like that, and maybe he’s just ‘delaying’ the inevitable as long as possible while he waits for the next open enrollment so he can get Ysabel properly/fully covered with an insurance plan that minimizes their out of pocket expenses. If the surgeon was offering that surgery for free, I highly suspect the Browns would jump at it. 

Maybe besides their mortgages converting to the sub prime, they’ve also used up all the ‘free’ options they had in Vegas. So they had to move their clan  to greener pastures to bilk the welfare system yet again. 

• Love 6
16 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I was the first wife.   It takes someone with a lot more maturity and security than I had to handle that lifestyle.   And I think someone with a kinder, more giving nature.   He could NEVER have had a monogamous marriage.  No, I didn't know that when we got married - we were "kids".   I haven't even spoken to him in over 20 years.   Our kids are all grown.

Sorry to make that more drama-filled than it needed to be.

• Love 23
11 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

I was the first wife.   It takes someone with a lot more maturity and security than I had to handle that lifestyle.   And I think someone with a kinder, more giving nature.   He could NEVER have had a monogamous marriage.  No, I didn't know that when we got married - we were "kids".   I haven't even spoken to him in over 20 years.   Our kids are all grown.

Thank you for sharing your story.  It's fascinating to hear a first hand account.  You were both great looking people, I'll bet you produced beautiful children, so there's that.

It's too bad Meri Brown didn't have the same self-awareness you did, she could have saved herself and many others a world of hurt.

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

Not at all!  And it's sad to hear from someone who has dealt with that trauma. 

I really doubt that there are truly any women who successfully handle that lifestyle, security or maturity notwithstanding.  I have to believe it's more of an entrapment situation whereby once in, you can't get out without being a tough cookie.

What a shock that must have been to you when he wanted a second wife.  I can't even imagine how you felt.

4 hours ago, Spiderella2 said:

I didn’t see anyone else mention this, but do you think another reason why Kody is so vehemently against the surgery at this time is because he knows that he doesn’t have the finances to cover it?

You're not the first but I'm thinking that's the case.  The smoke screen of not trusting science and telling Ysabel she'll be scarred and unattractive are smoke screens. Both excuses are total BS.

• Love 7