Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E03: Kody Wants Out

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, smarty2020 said:

So how does Kody get from wanting to go back to Utah SOOOO BADLY to moving to Flagstaff?

I tell you it's just a plot device for this incredibly boring show. Let's go back and fight all the people who are against polygamous marriage. Oh changed my mind let's just move to Arizona.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
16 minutes ago, smarty2020 said:

Yeah I didn't get that either.  100 get plated meals but the other 300 only get finger food?

So does that mean if I'm one of the finger food people I can reflect that with my gift?

Perhaps a box of crackerjacks  😂

• LOL 13
  • Love 6
39 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

What is it with the Brown girls and their ability to find and marry the ugliest men on the planet?

Fat, ugly, dumpy, gross facial hair etc etc etc... Blah!!!

Its like they GRAB onto the first male who gives then any attention.

Yes and for Aspyn who is freaking gorgeous she could do way better. Hopefully, the kids get her looks. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 12

“You needed the confidence of being able to do something without me.”  Damn, Kody, how are you standing upright after the spin you just laid on Meri?  Not that I think Meri is worth a damn either, but wow.  

Edited by Suzy Rhapsody
  • LOL 1
  • Love 13

In the preview for next weeks episode Janelle adamantly says "I'm not going to pull Gabe out of Las Vegas during his junior year of high school.  I have to protect my child."  Huh.  Wonder how Kody changed her mind.

• Love 9

if I didn't think Kody and Meri were more than over, they sure are now!

Kody could give two figs about her and she was like, whatever. The disdain was pretty much on both sides.

Why do I keep watching these people go in circles???!!!

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Grammy said:

Did I understand this correctly?   Some of the 400 guests will have meals but others will have finger food only?   I can’t believe that...maybe I am just tired?

These people wouldn’t know proper hosting if it bit them in the face. Invite 100 people to have a sit down dinner, and then later an additional 300 get to have snacks?  Do those 300 not go to the ceremony?  No. This is not how it works!

Gah, they infuriate me with their terrible manners! Fully host (NO cash bars) what you can afford. No one needs 400 people at their wedding and reception.

Edited by CSunshine76
iPad typos
  • Useful 1
  • Love 22

Kody is so dumb to notice that it is not a case of the wives not wanting to move to Utah, it is that they don't want to move, period.  Kids need continuity.  And yes, it is Kody's paranoia, not the government, that is keeping them out of Utah.  The worst that could happen is Kristine having to pay back the value of her fraudulently used food stamps.  What plygs in Utah have had their assets confiscated?  Does Kody even have any assets?  The bank owns all his interest-only houses.

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 1
  • Love 12

Kody is SO checked out of his relationship with Meri and isn't afraid to show it. He seemed to respect her accomplishment as a person, but there was zero tenderness there at all--something Kody doesn't even seem to think may be necessary in the relationship at this point. They were like two stiffs there at the end watching the sunset. 

• Love 18
1 hour ago, Galloway Cave said:

Good gawd. 10 minutes of Meri and Kody, silent on the porch in uncomfortable togetherness, while they stare at the most mediocre sunset ever. 

That was a 20 minute show stretched out to two hours.

59 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

Could it possibly be any more awkward that Kody did not put his arm around Meri on the porch?

I was so hoping Kody would at least put his arm around Meri, if not give her a hug! I think it wouldve meant a lot to her. That was frustrating to watch.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

I was so hoping Kody would at least put his arm around Meri, if not give her a hug! I think it wouldve meant a lot to her. That was frustrating to watch.

He's completely checked out, it's clear he feels nothing "lovey-dovey" for her. He said earlier in the episode that he wasn't sure a connection with Meri was even necessary. It was a very blunt indicator as to the state of their relationship: Ship sunk, likely unsalvageable. 

• Love 12
3 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

He's completely checked out, it's clear he feels nothing "lovey-dovey" for her. He said earlier in the episode that he wasn't sure a connection with Meri was even necessary. It was a very blunt indicator as to the state of their relationship: Ship sunk, likely unsalvageable. 

But hey, let’s hear it for plural marriage! Let’s fight for this shit show just because...!

• LOL 2
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, CSunshine76 said:

These people wouldn’t know proper hosting if it bit them in the face. Invite 100 people to have a sit down dinner, and then later an additional 300 get to have snacks?  Do those 300 not go to the ceremony?  No. This is not how it works!

Gah, they infuriate me with their terrible manners! Fully host (NO cash bars) what you can afford. No one needs 400 people at their wedding and reception.

I agree with you 100%! There's no way my husband and I would've had anything less than an open bar. Anything else is just tacky in our book. We were very lucky that we found a wonderful venue that included everything except the photographer and officiant - food, cake, limo, DJ, cocktail hour for guests and the wedding party during pictures, and top shelf open bar. The only thing not free were shots, so as to limit the possibility of people getting completely hammered.

My husband feels so strongly about being a good host that when we throw any kind of party, he would never even entertain the thought of having it BYOB - he feels it is our job as hosts to provide for our guests. If someone offers to bring something, great, but we would never require it or even suggest it to our guests.

16 minutes ago, Pachengala said:

A cash bar is the height of wedding tackiness. You are hosting a party—if you can’t afford to feed and bev your guests, have fewer guests. 

I agree that etiquette is relaxing to an alarming degree but this is one standard that’s remained consistent. 

Yup, completely agree! I was even invited to a birthday party, thrown by the birthday girl mind you, that was cash bar - I politely declined the invitation.

Edited by Gothish520
  • Love 6
20 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

That scene was the most poignantly honest I have ever witnessed on this show.  It was raw and it was real.  The look on Meri's face when she was hit with the realization that they were past the point of no return and the defiant righteousness of Kody was almost too much to bear.  I think she should have left years ago, she has made herself and everyone around her miserable and I hope somehow, somewhere she finds happiness.  

• Love 20
3 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

That scene was the most poignantly honest I have ever witnessed on this show.

I'm sure the producers had them go out onto the porch to "talk" about what Meri had done, but probably had no idea just how raw the moment would turn out to be. Neither one was going to give an inch on the hills each had chosen. It really was one of the saddest moments of the show so far.

I find it interesting that little Areola May made the "only one" comment to Mitch and Aspyn. Wonder where she picked that up...

• Useful 1
  • Love 19

What a difference between Aspyn and Mykelti though, huh? Aspyn was concerned about the cost and didn't want to be a little princess demanding this and that. I love the venue they chose, very pretty. And I liked how Kody gushed about how sweet Aspyn is - that was some fatherly pride showing there.

I like Mitch and I think he's kinda cute with his leprechaun look - hopefully he was just being polite about the polygamy stuff for the sake of family, and it's not really on his radar. I liked his mother too - the stuff with Kody about a dance-off was funny and I hope we get to see that, lol.

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, For Cereals said:

I can’t stand that they are treating it as though Ysabel really has control over it.  She doesn’t.

Typical plyg mentality. Women are supposed to be able to control everything about themselves in order to become better people and worthy of their husbands. You can bet that if it were Hunter or King Sol with a seriously curved spine, Kody would have them on the surgical table pronto. Christine is just flapping her gums in the background. I wonder if in real life, she has more control over the situation since Kody may not really be that involved in her family.

• Love 16

I definitely think Aspyn is more invested in this relationship than Mitch is.  It's like she wants to get married and he guesses that would be ok.  He loves her - he's just not crazy about her.  (Or that's how it seems.)   He looked much better with the shorter beard.    The Brown girls DO love stocky guys!

And speaking of stocky guys - what happened to Tony and bologna?  It's like they disappeared off of the face of the earth - at least on the show.  I know people here post pics now and then.

I TOTALLY agree with what everyone has said about the sunset on the porch scene.  I could not believe Kody did not put his arm around Meri and give her a hug or something.  Like - "Hey!  GREAT open house!" ::::HUG:::::  even a Duggar side hug would have been better than nothing.  They NEVER touch any more.

I had to laugh about the "Mom" scenes right before they left for the open house.  Every time Kody said "Mom!" I cracked up!   Maybe because it reminded me of me and MY mom - trying to get her out of the house to go somewhere.  She's been gone for over 14 years and I miss her terribly, so I appreciated the humor there.

• LOL 1
  • Love 20
1 minute ago, Galloway Cave said:

Typical plyg mentality. Women are supposed to be able to control everything about themselves in order to become better people and worthy of their husbands. You can bet that if it were Hunter or King Sol with a seriously curved spine, Kody would have them on the surgical table pronto. Christine is just flapping her gums in the background. I wonder if in real life, she has more control over the situation since Kody may not really be that involved in her family.

I just can't help but think that Kody and Christine are plain scared about the surgery. Can't say I blame them. They really are expressing it in an unhealthy way though. They need to be realistic, get the facts and become united in a course of action - and start easing Ysabel's mind, not scaring her more.

• Love 18
3 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

I definitely think Aspyn is more invested in this relationship than Mitch is.  It's like she wants to get married and he guesses that would be ok.  He loves her - he's just not crazy about her.  (Or that's how it seems.)   He looked much better with the shorter beard.    The Brown girls DO love stocky guys!

And speaking of stocky guys - what happened to Tony and bologna?  It's like they disappeared off of the face of the earth - at least on the show.  I know people here post pics now and then.

I TOTALLY agree with what everyone has said about the sunset on the porch scene.  I could not believe Kody did not put his arm around Meri and give her a hug or something.  Like - "Hey!  GREAT open house!" ::::HUG:::::  even a Duggar side hug would have been better than nothing.  They NEVER touch any more.

I had to laugh about the "Mom" scenes right before they left for the open house.  Every time Kody said "Mom!" I cracked up!   Maybe because it reminded me of me and MY mom - trying to get her out of the house to go somewhere.  She's been gone for over 14 years and I miss her terribly, so I appreciated the humor there.

Have to admit I was cringing a bit at the stuff about Aspyn prodding Mitch to get engaged. I never understood that mentality - if you have to talk someone into it, what's the point? Not that it has to be the man that proposes - technically, I proposed to Mr. Gothish! But, he was 100% on board right away, lol, no prodding needed.

My mom passed in 2016, so I understand. Our situation was the opposite though, when it came to leaving the house - she was always ready at the drop of a hat, and I'm the one who took forever - it used to bug the crap out of her! 😄

• Love 12

So King Kody declares that this will be their last visit to Dr. Camp, and that Ysabel absolutely will not have surgery. He just states that like no one else is involved or can have an opinion.

If I were Christine, I would continue to make appointments for my child, and I would not tell Kody about them, because he's being totally unreasonable. Taking her in for x-rays to monitor the situation is not "consenting" to surgery, so he wouldn't have that to hold over her head.

He decrees what is to be done, as if Christine and Ysabel have no right to even speak on the matter. Ysabel is not four years old. She is old enough to talk things over with her parents. You can't talk things over with someone who says "Here's what we're going to do - PERIOD."

I can't believe he doesn't see that Christine and Ysabel have a right to an opinion. This seemed extreme to me, even for Kody. I always expect him to be an asshat, I just didn't expect him to be THIS big of an asshat.

Christine says some things I don't agree with (like implying that if the curve worsens, Ysabel just isn't working hard enough on her exercises) and some things I do agree with (like understanding that this affects Ysabel's self-esteem). But will she act on it? Will she do what's best for her child, and defy the "Emperor"? I hope so.

If Christine totally went against Kody's "laws" that he's thrown down, behind his back, I wouldn't blame her one bit. That's what he deserves, for being an unreasonable jackass.

• Love 21

I don't remember how old Ysabel is at this point, but it's so crazy to me that Kody is just decreeing that this is the last visit to the expert.  First, it's crazy that he has a medical expert telling him things and he's all "nah, that just sounds like hooey to me, we'll rig up some contraption with some shit I found at Home Depot and she can spend 6 hours a day fixing things the NATURAL way.  Keep your witch dr stuff away from us! No cooties!"  Growing up, if a dr had even hinted that something would have helped us, my parents would have bent over backwards to get it.  I'm not saying they didn't do their research and just blindly trusted every dr, but, when they said, well, we could put braces on to move those teeth and this is what we'd do or we could leave things alone and it would be ok, BUT these teeth would come in up here rather than where they should be, and those teeth will be crowded, my parents were like, ok, no problem, when do we start?  I feel like Kody would be like, "No, if God wanted those teeth in that spot, he'd have put them there himself"  

Then it's also crazy to me that Christine is just ok with Kody making this announcement.  If my father had tried that, my mother would have been like, whatever, and just taken me anyway.  If we had kids and my husband said something like that, I'd laugh and say watch me.  (He wouldn't, I couldn't be married to someone like that)  Plus, Ysabel is old enough to have a say in things.  I don't think she should have the final say, because kids don't always make the best decisions.  The braces I mentioned above? I didn't want them.  If I had been asked (I wasn't), I would have refused them.  I did tell my parents I didn't want them and they should save their money, but they told me it wasn't my choice, and I'd feel differently later on.  They were right about that, I'm glad I had them, and I wish they still paid my dental bills, since I've had to get nightguards and other things over the years.  It was telling that Christine said in the interview that she now wants the surgery.

• Love 12

I didn’t realize Asbyn was the oldest daughter for some reason.  Poor thing you just know many women will decide they are destined to be his wife. 

The Kody underwear and sock rant was pitiful. 

On a shallow note Meri had many extra pounds around her middle but no big dill. 

Good point that the 400 familiy members  going to the wedding haven’t been run out of town for the life style they are living. It’s just the Browns who had to get out of Dodge? 

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Galloway Cave said:

Hell, just do some basic research. He says "I don't know" when talking about the surgery. As a parent, he should be doing a shit-ton of research to understand just how bad it can be for Ysabel if she doesn't get the surgery.

And any father who can sit there and look at that x-ray, then only shrug his shoulders, is a heartless prick.

I hate saying this, but my gut tells me he is against the surgery because of money...I could be way off, but I’m guessing he sees $$$, and wants to put it off if he can.  Healthcare isn’t what it used to be, and not everyone can just get the medical care they need without going into debt. 

4 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

What is it with the Brown girls and their ability to find and marry the ugliest men on the planet?

Fat, ugly, dumpy, gross facial hair etc etc etc... Blah!!!

Its like they GRAB onto the first male who gives then any attention.

They all have daddy issues.  I wonder why. 

• Love 14
16 hours ago, VedaPierce said:

Cheated and saw this episode last week! My 2 cents:

Noticed Janelle wasn’t at the Grand Opening Extravaganza, but didn’t catch the reason why...did she throw one out? 

Was aware because I wanted to watch the dynamic between her and Meri’s mom. But interesting that she wasn’t even there. What could Janelle possibly have had going on that was more pressing? Was she struggling with the latest health trend? Was she trying to figure out segmented sleep? Shopping for Placental pills? Looking for her Third Eye in a junk drawer? What kept her away from Meri’s Star-studded grand opening? Other than awkward encounters with Meri’s mom and/or brother. Janelle doesn’t do awkward. 

Also...those interest-only mortgage payments are going to change to principle+interest. When that happens, their mortgage payments will all DOUBLE monthly. That’s right, DOUBLE mortgage payment. That’s why Kody has this burning need to leave. That’s the only reason. He’s so full of crap saying he always felt in exile. When they first made the move to Vegas, he was saying he always wanted to live in Vegas because there he could be free. Now suddenly he’s in exile. Now that he’s staring down the barrel of doubling his monthly mortgage payment x 4. He’s re-writing history to suit his current financial condition.

I’m watching this now and I am sure I did see Jenelle at the opening. Right after the mayor yakked about how happy the town was, they panned over the attendees and I am sure I saw Jenelle in the group there. 

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, VedaPierce said:

Noticed Janelle wasn’t at the Grand Opening Extravaganza, but didn’t catch the reason why...did she throw one out? 

Was aware because I wanted to watch the dynamic between her and Meri’s mom. But interesting that she wasn’t even there. What could Janelle possibly have had going on that was more pressing? Was she struggling with the latest health trend? Was she trying to figure out segmented sleep? Shopping for Placental pills? Looking for her Third Eye in a junk drawer? What kept her away from Meri’s Star-studded grand opening? Other than awkward encounters with Meri’s mom and/or brother. Janelle doesn’t do awkward. 

I'm guessing at least one parent had to stay behind to take care of the kids

Yeah, my Directv showed this episode as new as well. Wonder if they will air Ep 4 later this week.

The reason all the Brown girls are rushing to get married is because it’s a way to get more money from TLC. TLC probably highly endorses weddings, and engagements. Weddings mean wedding specials, which is content and bonuses, which won’t be covered by the usual per episode fee.  It also gives the girls a chance to be special, a period where she is placed first, when her life is in the spotlight. Versus just being a Brown brat. 

I liked the way Aspyn stood up for herself at the third venue. She knew the Browns (esp Kody) were going to turn this Budget discussion into some huge drama, and she nipped it right in the bud by directly calling their bluff. The 4 Moms would each pick sides, with the moms who are having weddings (Christine, Janelle) versus the mom’s not currently having weddings (Meri, Robyn) who will also try to limit the budget to have more money leftover for their girls’ future weddings. Kody would feel the pressure, and fluff his ponytail, try to turn the spotlight on himself, then become sarcastic and start throwing ridiculous quips and critiques about the venue, downgrading and being nasty about everything they had just gushed about directly to Event Coordinator embarrassing the bride and groom to be.  In his mind, he thinks it gives him a negotiation advantage, when it reality it just makes him look like a cheap, miserly loser who has no long term financial plan for the bajillion children he has brought into this world. 

I think that Production is picking up some of the budget for the wedding. Or at least they are going to cover part of it. These venues were probably chosen by Production and they will cover some venue costs in order to be able to film all week at the venue. Production has deals with the venue for a sponsorship option. Don’t tell me these are the only 3 wedding venues in all of Utah...puhleaze. 

Kody mentioned something about the Family Dinner which is right after the wedding. That is the 100 people, the ‘real family’ who are coming to the wedding. They are the ones at the real reception. The ones who arrive later in the evening, just for the ‘party’ and dance part, the 300 who get finger foods, cocktails, cake, desserts, and snacks are the outer family circle, the associates, the ones that were not invited to the real wedding, but only come for the reception. These are the ones the Browns will be paying for. I wonder which will be a tax deduction? They probably both will. 

Edited by Spiderella2
Spelling
  • LOL 2
  • Love 10

And Kody & Meri...oh my goodness. That relationship is stale, old, and dead. Not even a beautiful sunset could bring it back to life, or even ignite a  Spark. There was standing space of two other folks between them like perfect strangers. And when Kody starts spouting off about how “I knew you had to do it yourself,” even the dog in the background kept barking and yelping, yapping BS! BS!in the awkward long silent pause that followed. 

Edited by Spiderella2
Spelling
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Suzy Rhapsody said:

There is nothing more boring than listening to long, convoluted stories about someone else’s long-passed relatives.  I’m dying here.  Please tell me I’m not the only one so I don’t feel so mean.  

Kody and company should be thanking their lucky stars they are getting paid to film their mundane existence, this is like watching paint dry.

The last hour I was flipping between this and The Walking Dead and still didn't miss anything.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
7 hours ago, Sasha888 said:

So King Kody declares that this will be their last visit to Dr. Camp, and that Ysabel absolutely will not have surgery. He just states that like no one else is involved or can have an opinion.

If I were Christine, I would continue to make appointments for my child, and I would not tell Kody about them, because he's being totally unreasonable. Taking her in for x-rays to monitor the situation is not "consenting" to surgery, so he wouldn't have that to hold over her head.

He decrees what is to be done, as if Christine and Ysabel have no right to even speak on the matter. Ysabel is not four years old. She is old enough to talk things over with her parents. You can't talk things over with someone who says "Here's what we're going to do - PERIOD."

I can't believe he doesn't see that Christine and Ysabel have a right to an opinion. This seemed extreme to me, even for Kody. I always expect him to be an asshat, I just didn't expect him to be THIS big of an asshat.

Christine says some things I don't agree with (like implying that if the curve worsens, Ysabel just isn't working hard enough on her exercises) and some things I do agree with (like understanding that this affects Ysabel's self-esteem). But will she act on it? Will she do what's best for her child, and defy the "Emperor"? I hope so.

If Christine totally went against Kody's "laws" that he's thrown down, behind his back, I wouldn't blame her one bit. That's what he deserves, for being an unreasonable jackass.

It’s such a mystery why Aspen, Mykelti, and Maddie have married the first boy or non-biological family member who shows interest and gotten the hell out of dodge.

ETA I posted before finishing reading the responses and see that @AllyCat said it better up thread. Daddy issues indeed!

Edited by Marshmallow Mollie
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

I was so hoping Kody would at least put his arm around Meri, if not give her a hug! I think it wouldve meant a lot to her.

Why would he?  He hates her, they're divorced, and she's a selfish delusional witch.  He couldn't care less about what she wants. I wouldn't hug either of them if you paid me.

• LOL 4
  • Love 10
6 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I’m watching this now and I am sure I did see Jenelle at the opening. Right after the mayor yakked about how happy the town was, they panned over the attendees and I am sure I saw Jenelle in the group there. 

I didn’t see her and I made a point to look up from Candy Crush to look for her. She definitely wasn’t on the ‘tour’ Meri gave around the house unless the ghost got her. And she’s not in any photos of that momentous day online. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, say whaaaaa said:

Janelle’s not the one. I don’t see Janelle staying home to take care of her own little ones, much less Robyn’s. 

...unless she drags in Logan to do it for her. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
7 minutes ago, VedaPierce said:

I didn’t see her and I made a point to look up from Candy Crush to look for her. She definitely wasn’t on the ‘tour’ Meri gave around the house unless the ghost got her. And she’s not in any photos of that momentous day online. 

Could be that she doesn't feel comfortable around Bonnie, her former MIL and didn't want to risk former husband, Adam may show up. Such a tangled vine of a family!

4 hours ago, say whaaaaa said:

I think Robyn may still have Mindy living at her house and I sure wouldn't expect Annie, Christine's mom to show up to celebrate Bonnie as the hostess.

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Why would he?  He hates her, they're divorced, and she's a selfish delusional witch.  He couldn't care less about what she wants. I wouldn't hug either of them if you paid me.

Well......   how much?  Like... if TLC said, "We need a stranger to come up and hug Meri/Kody and say how they love the show and we will pay you $40,087.33"..... I would do it.

• LOL 14
  • Love 5

Did Aspyn actually get her degree, and if so, has she worked at all? Mitch has few first cousins..just half ones I imagine? His mother and father would each have to have 20 half siblings and they in turn would each have to have at least 10 kids each. Does that sound plausible? Finally, to the one who stayed at Meri's B&B..how much does she charge per night? Am trying to figure out how many heads she must have per year to even break even, let alone pay her mortgage?

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

Janelle was definitely there.  If you go to the scene where they cut the ribbon they pan over to the family members taking pictures and Janelle is there in a maroon colored shirt.  They only had Meri and Kody in the actual ribbon cutting picture but they all were there (Robyn, Christine and Janelle).

25 minutes ago, winsomeone said:

Did Aspyn actually get her degree, and if so, has she worked at all? 

I was wondering this too.  I thought she went to college but don't remember any mention of her college graduation.  Did she go to UNLV?

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, smarty2020 said:

They only had Meri and Kody in the actual ribbon cutting picture but they all were there (Robyn, Christine and Janelle).

Oh I'm glad you brought this up!  It struck me as really odd at the time, and I was wondering if any of you had any thoughts on this:   WHY did Kody help cut the ribbon???  I think it should have been Meri alone, or Meri and the mayor.  Kody didn't help get the place, he isn't part-owner - so.... why is he cutting the ribbon?

• Love 18