Type keyword(s) to search

Sheldon Cooper/Jim Parsons: Bazinga

I agree. With Sheldon, his progress is quickly shoved aside and forgotten in favour of more laughs. At least they acknowledged the kiss happened a few times after, so they clearly haven't forgotten it happened. With a show like TBBT I find they don't focus too much on continuity -- you can watch an episode without having seen any others and still enjoy it/not get lost, but at the same time I think they'd benefit from stringing the episodes closer together every once in a while. The only plotline I remember doing that was when Howard went into space.

What I hate is when they infantilize Sheldon. It's just too much. For example, it's fine that he rarely drinks alcohol, but when everyone is celebrating something and there's a toast, he's shown with milk. Good grief. He could have a soda or water or lemonade or? .... just good grief. Also, when his mother told him to go to his room and he did it.. Too much. Hasn't he taught college level physics at some point? I mean, come on. There are other instances, but they escape me.

• Love 5

Watching reruns the past couple of days, I saw that Sheldon was perfectly capable of driving Penny to the hospital when she dislocated her shoulder (he was on a learner's permit).  I saw, for the first time, him having to go to traffic court from that day for running a red light.  Then, in another season, when Leonard had to work at night and they had the intervention for Sheldon, he could not use that driving simulator to save his life. 

It is possible that I have the episodes reversed in terms of timeline, so if I am, then never mind.  LOL.

I'm hoping someone can help me out here.  Sheldon has many t-shirts, but one that I see quite a bit but can't figure out is this one.  Does anyone know what it represents?  I can't quite make out the image and it's driving me crazy!

sheldon-cooper-O.jpg

In "The Hook-Up Reverberation" (season 8, episode 4), Leonard aptly calls Sheldon "an 80-year-old man in a 15-year-old's t-shirt."

Jim Parsons will be, what, 44 when the series ends? (Assuming CBS doesn't renew the show.)

I just watched the live broadcast of Peter Pan and holy cow!  Sheldon is Peter Pan.  (Now I know why they call it "the Peter Pan syndrome")  Every conversation Wendy and Peter have is Amy and Sheldon. 

Ouch. 

• Love 2
Also, when his mother told him to go to his room and he did it..

You obviously don't have a strong-willed mother whom you will obey well into your 60s. Plus, Sheldon was raised to respect his elders (especially his mama), so I don't find that far-fetched at all.

• Love 8

I'm not sure if I'm in the right place to talk about what I want to say, but I'm just gonna say it because I have to say it somewhere (haha).

So here's my "problem" : I have a huuuuuuuuge crush on Jim Parsons, I'm totally in love with the guy, which is crazy, because I'm not the kind of person to fall for celebrities, the only celebrity I love is Eminem but it's because I respect him so much. I'm a 20 year old french student, I think I'm pretty mature, at least mature enough not to fall for celebrities, so really I don't understand what's happening here ! This is like the first time ever I feel this way about someone I'll probably never meet. I could talk about him for hours, I'm totally obsessed with him, I think he's perfect, he's funny, gorgeous, so talented at what he does ... I think the man is a genius (not the same kind of genius as Sheldon but still :p). Everything about him is attractive. I came here to talk about him cause I told myself maybe I'm not the only one, pretty much all my friends are into TBBT, and all of them love Sheldon and my best friend loves Jim too (I mean, who wouldn't love Jim anyway ?) but that's all. And I feel so lonely in my feelings so pleaaaase someone come tell me I'm not crazy and you feel the same way haha, there has to be someone out there feeling the way I do ? No ? Haha

So if you're not freaked out yet and you wanna discuss with me, I'm right here :)

(And my apologies if you found my english so bad, I'm working on it :) )

Your english is great! :)

However, I don't agree :P Maybe because I think of Jim as his character in Garden State and it's not overly attractive :D

That being said, I haven't really looked into other things he's doing or watched any interviews.

Thank you ! Well I suggest you watch some interviews he did when you have nothing to do (or actually don't, cause if you do you might end up just as crazy as I am :p), he's such a lovely person ! That's how he possessed me ahhahahah
Anyway thanks for the reply :))))

Jim Parsons does Sheldon very well, but when he hosted Saturday Night Live last season I was disappointed. I know there are a lot of factors going into it, but Jim didn't appear to be funny, spontaneous or comical. I really haven't seen him in very many things, so my opinion of him is quite limited. Sorry, but I don't find him physically attractive at all.

ShadySab, your English is excellent! Hope you get to meet Jim someday.

• Love 2

Jim Parsons does Sheldon very well, but when he hosted Saturday Night Live last season I was disappointed. I know there are a lot of factors going into it, but Jim didn't appear to be funny, spontaneous or comical. I really haven't seen him in very many things, so my opinion of him is quite limited. Sorry, but I don't find him physically attractive at all.

ShadySab, your English is excellent! Hope you get to meet Jim someday.

Thank you very much that's so nice of you I appreciate !

About that saturday night live video, I don't remember it at all I'll have to go check it out on youtube and see for myself. But like you said there are factors to consider.... Maybe that day he was not feeling fine or who knows what happened to him, or maybe he was just having a bad day héhé. But at my point I'm so dazzled by my love for him I probably won't find anything disturbing about Jim's attitude in that video lol ..... (I know I have to pull myself together it's urgent)

But in my defense I have to say that in all the interviews I have seen of him, he was always so gentle, sweet, funny, and so loving, it's just his cute little face that makes me melt !

And concerning his physical appearence, when I first started to watch TBBT I didn't find him attractive (not my type at all !), and now here I am finding him hot as hell. But I have to say I was already quite fund of him by the middle of season 1, (it didn't take me long to fall for him).

I guess that I'm very sensitive to his personality, I can't even explain it to myself, but his personality through the years made me become totally crazy about him.

Anyway I'm gonna stop talking now (haha), thank you for your comment it's very nice, I also hope I'll get the chance to meet him one day ....

• Love 1

Mr. Parsons was on Craig Ferguson tonight.  I had meant to post a heads-up earlier in the day because I was sure the news would be lost in all the coverage about Stephen Colbert's last show (which totally deserved every bit of coverage/hype, etc. as it was excellent) but a migraine intervened.  Anyhow, he was quite good and he was able to match Mr. Ferguson quip for quip.  As I've noted before, Craig Ferguson is a host that is very clever and quick-witted, and not all of the people he has on have the intellectual wherewithall to keep up with him.  (Ferguson is also one of the few who have sent me off to the 'net to look up references, but I digress).  Parsons sang the praises of the writers, so I'll just agree to disagree with him on that point, and there were no revelations about the show but it was still a fun interview.  I'm sure it's probably stream-able somewhere ...

ShadySab, I can't say I share the same passion as you, but I also have a crush on JP. He has the number two spot on my sexeption list. I know he's not considered sexy by the general public, but tall, lanky, and nerdy is just my type (and I do think JP himself is nerdy, not just as Sheldon).

Whenever they muss him up on the show (first example that comes to mind is the Halloween episode when he scares Leonard) I get all twitterpated. He's also been in some magazine photo shoots that make me swoon. Dude cleans up nice and has some very camera lighting friendly eyes.

I did get a chance to "meet" him once, and sadly I'd say it was a rather disappointing experience. I'm sure it was mostly my fault for building it up in my head beforehand, but still. I'm not sharing this to burst your bubble; I just want you to be prepared so that maybe you have a better time than I did, should you get the opportunity.

Basically I was waiting at the stage door after a play he was in. He rushed through the line of people waiting for autographs as fast as possible. While he signed my playbill, I paid him a compliment, and he said "Oh, thank you," but then he was on to the next person before I could ask to take a picture with him. I tried to catch his attention, and it's possible he didn't see me, but it felt like he was ignoring me (and I'm sure others, I swear I wasn't creepy) so he could get out of there.

I have since heard that he HATES that part of his life. So it's understandable that he makes an effort to create some sort of compromise in those situations. After all, while I wouldn't say he was very gracious, he was far from rude. For all I know, he has some sort of internal rule where a fan either gets a signature or a picture, but not both, and rushes through as a passive way to make that happen (since actually saying, "Oh no, you don't get an autograph because you already got a picture," won't go down well). I did see him taking pictures with some people, so if I could do it all over again I think I'd be very direct and just ask if I could have a picture with him. If he doesn't stick around long enough to hear a compliment after that, his loss :)

takalotti:  Sorry to read your *meeting* with Jim Parsons was not all you'd hoped it would be. I suspect it's true and he does dislike that aspect of his career and that the *actor* we see on tv and stage and interviews is different from the *person*.

I'm older than dirt and grew up loving The Partridge Family. Years and years later I finally got to meet David Cassidy (Keith Partridge) coincidentally also at the stage door after a play he was doing.  Although my *meeting* was perfect (i got an autograph and picture), I did think David the *person* was so much quieter and less animated that the *actor* I'd seen in so many interviews.

How long ago did you meet Jim, BTW? 

Whenever they muss him up on the show (first example that comes to mind is the Halloween episode when he scares Leonard) I get all twitterpated. He's also been in some magazine photo shoots that make me swoon. Dude cleans up nice and has some very camera lighting friendly eyes.

takalotti

Oh thank god I'm not the only one who's also turned on by Sheldon, which is very surprising coming from me, since nerdy guys aren't usually my type. Anyway 

Basically I was waiting at the stage door after a play he was in. He rushed through the line of people waiting for autographs as fast as possible. While he signed my playbill, I paid him a compliment, and he said "Oh, thank you," but then he was on to the next person before I could ask to take a picture with him. I tried to catch his attention, and it's possible he didn't see me, but it felt like he was ignoring me (and I'm sure others, I swear I wasn't creepy) so he could get out of there.

I'm so sorry to hear about this, but well at least you got to meet him (I would personally be fully satisfied with that), but I'm very surprised to hear about it ! I saw many videos where he was super nice to the fans, there's also this interview he did with Conan where he brought a fan to the BBT set and gave her Simon Helburg's tshirt, he was really sweet to the girl so I though he did this with all the fans. Any chance he was in a perticular bad mood that day ? Or maybe it's like you said and he hates that part of the job, he sure seems like a reserved person, and all this attention may be too much for him.

I don't despair though, hopefully the day I meet him he'll be in a perticual great mood haha, but thank you very much for "warning me", this is very nice of you, I guess I won't get my hopes up so much anymore ......

This was sometime during the summer/fall of 2011. The play was The Normal Heart.

I suppose a case could be made that the heavy drama of the play makes it harder to be all friendly with fans afterward, but he was also rather rushed after Harvey (I didn't get to interact with him that time since I was at the back of the stagedooring crowd, but I did see him exit, autograph down the line, and then get into his car). So I do think it's just his personality, which is perfectly fine. I just didn't consider that possibility beforehand so I wasn't prepared for the "cold shoulder" treatment.

I am still very happy to have met him and had what little interaction I did. Especially after the Harvey experience, I realize the Normal Heart stagedooring was downright intimate. Any disappointment I still have about that night really is directed at myself for being silly enough to think I'd have all the time in the world with him to get a picture. (Well, Mr. Takalotti did get one of JP and the back of my head during the autograph).

I have seen various videos of him interacting with fans, too. And perhaps they are partially to blame for me building up my expectations. Looking back at them now, I'd guess the fact that they're staged and controlled (and filmed for an interview) are a big factor in how he behaves. Again, I'm not saying this with bitterness. It makes sense that a person, even an actor, might not like being approached by strangers all the time but goes along with it for an interview piece.

ShadySab, I certainly didn't mean to get your hopes *down* (I know I didn't really since you said you don't despair). You should still have your hopes up for a great experience if you meet him because now you know your time may be limited so you'll be prepared to get the most out of it! Good luck!

I wonder if the "creator" of the Sheldon character knew about Paul Erdos.  Erdos was a brilliant mathematician and rather eccentric.  He had no home and would often appear unannounced at another mathematician's house saying "my brain is open" meaning he wanted to collaborate on some math.  The host not only had to get up any time Erdos was ready to work, but also had to do Erdos's laundry.  Mathematicians were willing to put up with him because collaborating on papers with him was good for their careers.  Sheldon seems less extreme by comparison.
http://www.bakadesuyo.com/2013/07/erdos/

Jim Parsons appeared this week on long running UK childrens' show 'Blue Peter'. He took part in one of the show's traditional features, a 'make'. He showed how to build a model of his character from his new film, using craft materials.

It was so cool to see Sheldon wearing a Blue Peter Badge!

• Love 1

Thanks for sharing, whimsey98!  While I don't necessarily agree with all the author's inferences, I appreciate the idea she is sharing.  Her comparisons to Spock and Prufrock were really good too, especially her point about having logical, structurally minded people letting you in to their humanity and how compelling that can be.  The beauty of the many reruns is you get to see those glimpses of some of Sheldon's evolution.  For example, one of the times where Penny is going to possibly break up with Leonard again was telling:  Sheldon spent the episode being an ass and even going so far as to break into Penny's apartment that night.  BUT, but he whispers to her "please don't hurt my friend".   You could see that though he is making it about himself the entire episode, he truly didn't want that for Leonard again.  I don't know if that was the writing or Parson's really adding something to the line reading, but it got me.  I wish we got a bit more of that Sheldon.  Part of the Sheldon issue for me is really about lack of consequences.  He doesn't actually ever have any.  I'd like for him to have some logical consequences b/c that speaks to how people actually grow. 

The bigger issue at hand for me is this (IMO):  I would love the same analysis of Amy and her evolution, but we don't really have much to go on from a romantic perspective.  We have a better understanding of her evolution of dealing with friendships versus being in a relationship.  While that isn't a bad thing, I would have liked to have seen a bit more of where her change from "no coitus.  tepid water please" became something more.  Too bad the writing didn't give us any of that. 

Edited by TrininisaScorp

I haven't watched the show as much or for as long as most of you guys, so I'm genuinely curious: Has Sheldon regressed over the seasons? Or is it that he was always this much of a creepy jerk, but his "romance" with Amy and my own cumulative weariness with his nonsense makes it seem worse now than ever before? I just know that when I started watching, I perceived Sheldon as a socially clueless, laughably egotistical, deeply awkward and likely "on the spectrum" guy whose flaws and lack of familiarity with 'the real world', friendships etc. could make him come off like a jerk despite being a decent person underneath. (Often way, way, WAY underneath, but still!) Now I view him more as a genuine jerk, totally irrespective of whatever diagnoses he may or may not carry, who's too much of an over-the-top ass for me to find compelling and believable at this point, let alone likable and root-worthy. Maybe it's that I initially fanwanked him as a lifelong loner who just didn't 'get' people and how to be a good friend, roommate, etc., but now he's had plenty of time to try to pick up on a few of those things and seems to have stubbornly decided to be even more of a selfish, insensitive, arrogant ass than ever before. I guess some of this is just the inevitable peril of being on the air for too long---instead of a relatively smooth character progression, you get a lot of rather inexplicable regressions and increasingly exaggerated flaws in the name of comedy. 

Edited by amensisterfriend
  • Love 3

I think Amy said it all when she said that she had seen Sheldon more in the last two days than in the last two months.  If he put forth that kind of effort into being thoughtful of her (even without the sex), then she never would have left.  It's unfortunate that it seems to have been painted as an all or nothing scenario.  Or at least an all or minimal affection scenario.

I haven't watched the show as much or for as long as most of you guys, so I'm genuinely curious: Has Sheldon regressed over the seasons? Or is it that he was always this much of a creepy jerk, but his "romance" with Amy and my own cumulative weariness with his nonsense makes it seem worse now than ever before?

It's not just you. He's definitely regressed.

He's definitely regressed.

From his point of view, his behavior has progressed as he gradually pushed boundaries to see what he can get away with. He hadn't expected Amy to "snap". Usually he can just pull back a little bit and everything will be fine.

I managed to catch 'The Hamburger Postulate' (S 1, Ep. 5) today (Leslie Winkle shows up for a string quartet rehearsal, stays over-night and tampers with Sheldon's equations on the whitebaord). It's a great episode to illustrate how much Sheldon (or rather the writing for his character) has regressed.

He's occasionally clueless, i.e. when he needs Penny to solve the semiotic problem of the tie on the doorknob but he's perfectly able to grasp Leonard's convoluted angsting over Penny. And while he feels uncomfortable with the situation  he's not barging in demanding that Leslie leaves because her presence is violation of the Roommate Agreement. Something later seasons Sheldon probably would have done.

• Love 1

Many years ago, a friend of a friend was the third lead in a Broadway play so a group of us went to see it and then went backstage to congratulate her. The friend (who was not in the play) then insisted we say hello to and congratulate the two leads. I still remember how exhausted and dead in the eyes Philip Seymour Hoffman was in that moment. He had absolutely nothing left to spare for anyone he didn't already know. We expressed our thanks and appreciation for his work and got out of there as quickly as we could. I think we were in a more intrusive setting than you were (backstage, rather than the stage door where actors expect to sign autographs) but I think live acting for 90 minutes to two hours must be an immensely draining experience and that every smile they put on costs them an extra bit of energy.

• Love 7

Makes Me Crazy: People who pronounce the word "coitus" as COY-tus. It's three syllables: CO-it-us. Dr. Sheldon Cooper clearly does not know everything, especially when it comes to words he's only read in books, and, until recently, had not encountered personally in his own real life <runs to find the brain bleach>.

• Love 1

Hee! Me neither, but dictionary.com shows only "CO-it-us" as the way to pronounce it. I'm sure coy-tus will make it into the dictionary in a while. It sounds like someone pronouncing CO-it-us quickly enough that it ends up sounding like coy-tus. That's language for you. Never stays the same.

• Love 2

Not that it's a word that comes up in conversation much but I think I'd feel self-conscious pronouncing it that way.  I think the wrong pronunciation is pretty much the accepted pronunciation with most people so using the other way would likely get people thinking I'm not using it right!

• Love 1

If we wanted a song for Sheldon, "If You Give Me Your Attention"  from Gilbert & Sullivan's "Princess Ida" might do:

If you give me your attention, I will tell you what I am: 
I'm a genuine philanthropist — all other kinds are sham. 
Each little fault of temper and each social defect 
In my erring fellow-creatures, I endeavour to correct. ...
I love my fellow creatures — I do all the good I can —
Yet ev'rybody says I'm such a disagreeable man! 
And I can't think why!

• Love 2
(edited)

Jim Parsons apparently injured his ankle during the curtain call at The Boys In the Band.  Assuming ankle the way the story is written, none of the news sites say what he actually did or what his full injury was.

Really wish I could see that play, helluva cast.   To see Jim along with Zachary Quinto, Andrew Rannells and Matt Boomer on one stage?  That would be awesome.  Anyway hopefully it's nothing serious just a light sprain or something and he'll be up and moving in a day or two.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/jim-parsons-injury-forces-cancellation-of-‘the-boys-in-the-band’-performance/ar-AAxbe3i?li=BBnb7Kz

Edited by sigmaforce86