Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, Dani said:

The producers have said that Steve would have had to return to the MCU timeline off screen before he ended up on that bench. The writers have said the opposite but their version creates many issues and seems less likely to be the official explanation. 

I like that version much better for Steve's character, but it seems like a quick word of god retcon IMO. The entire return the stones to "prune" the new branch before it forms resolution sort of hinges on the idea that a new timeline only forms when you remove a stone or make some other big change and Steve being shown waiting on the bench rather than just having him pop back in on the time machine as an old man strongly implies that the writer's version is the intent of the film.

44 minutes ago, Perfect Xero said:

I like that version much better for Steve's character, but it seems like a quick word of god retcon IMO. The entire return the stones to "prune" the new branch before it forms resolution sort of hinges on the idea that a new timeline only forms when you remove a stone or make some other big change and Steve being shown waiting on the bench rather than just having him pop back in on the time machine as an old man strongly implies that the writer's version is the intent of the film.

Unless the Tony Stark, or the Howard for that matter, in his awesome world where Hydra never took over Shield, and the Chitauri never invaded came up with a better way to travel time and dimensions.

Cap can prune the time branches by bringing the stones back to 2013 and 1970, but I am pretty sure that nothing got pruned in 2012 and 2014. In one case because of Loki (frankly, the whole plan was a huge mess from the get go) and in the other case because Thanos is suddenly missing in this universe. The  stones have to go back to there anyway to stabilize that reality...and it will be interesting to see how the main reality will cope without them. It is technically possible that the whole universe will unravel because they are gone….

On 2/18/2021 at 9:29 PM, Perfect Xero said:

It seems more like the directors and the writers had very different ideas about what was happening.

Also, the writers' explanation I would argue isn't even consistent with some of the details of their own movie, such as Banner's insistence that changing the past via time travel is impossible -- but if only the removal of a stone alters the timeline, then what happens if you go back and shoot somebody in the face?  That doesn't make any sense.

The way time travel is presented in Endgame is kind of a mess, so I ultimately go with the version that makes more sense for Steve's character, and the alternate timeline explanation makes much more sense, because then you don't have to assume he spent half a century lying to Peggy and sitting back doing nothing as SHIELD was infiltrated by HYDRA and used to murder a bunch of people.

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, SeanC said:

Also, the writers' explanation I would argue isn't even consistent with some of the details of their own movie, such as Banner's insistence that changing the past via time travel is impossible -- but if only the removal of a stone alters the timeline, then what happens if you go back and shoot somebody in the face?  That doesn't make any sense.

That scene where Banner explains that you can’t change your past was added after reshoots because test audience found the time travel confusing. I’m guessing that’s why the writers’ explanation is inconsistent. It’s seems like they intended for the time travel to be where you could change some things and not others and then the producers realized the logic issues and took a more definitive stance. The result is muddled. 

Well, they can just go with the ripple vs wave explanation….taking an infinity stone and bringing the same stone back shortly after - ripple. Accidentally freeing Loki or removing Thanos from an universe - wave. Makes the most sense anyway.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Watched Captain America: The Winter Soldier again last night and it’s soooo goood. But I finally saw what was Number 1 or was it 2 on Steve’s list that he pulled out when adding Marvin Gaye’s name: I Love Lucy!!!

No wonder I love him!*😁🥰

What?

*last five minutes of EG didn’t happen!🤪😜

• Love 3
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Watched Captain America: The Winter Soldier again last night and it’s soooo goood. But I finally saw what was Number 1 or was it 2 on Steve’s list that he pulled out when adding Marvin Gaye’s name: I Love Lucy!!!

No wonder I love him!*😁🥰

What?

*last five minutes of EG didn’t happen!🤪😜

2014 really was an amazing year for Marvel movies, I would say their best. They had Winter Soldier which I still say is their best movie. Then they had Guardians of the Galaxy which was a great movie in its own right. It was also one of their biggest risks and ended up being the top movie at the box office that year.

• Love 2

We just finished watching Captain Marvel. It gets better every time I watch it. Seeing baby Monica is even better now since we have the awesome grown one. I so want to know what's wrong between her and Carol.

Yes, I sit through 84 million years of credits just to see a "cat" barf up a tesseract and then lick its paw. Adorable.

• Love 11

I didn't love it that much, to me it was one of Marvel's middle-of-the-road efforts kind of like the Ant Man movies. But I am completely onboard for it making a bazillion dollars as a raised middle finger to ComicsGate types trying to convince themselves that it would automatically be a failure because of girl cooties. (If you really want to see them have a meltdown remind them it grossed exactly a quarter billion $ more than Zack Synder's grimdark opus Batman v. Superman!)

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I love Captain Marvel so much. The fact that it made so much money at the box office was a perfect middle finger to all the incels, trolls, and overall douchebags that tried to trash it. 

I agree.  I can see the flaws but it really resonated with me in a way I didn’t even fully realize was missing from superheroes movies. How well it did really showed that I wasn’t alone in that feeling. 

Not just superhero movies...I think it works so well because it is an example of what innuendo studios called "The Avenging Female"...I recommend to everyone to listen to his excellent video essays about Mad Max Fury Road, but to make it short, he posed the idea that Furiosa might be a new brand of heroine because she reclaims violence as a right for woman. Carol is pretty much the same way. She doesn't need some big destiny to be a hero, she doesn't need to get pressed into a corner to become one, it is simply the path she choses.

And while I see the flaws in Captain Marvel too, I actually do think that it is one of the strongest Marvel produced on a Meta level. The dynamic it portrays is so familiar to a lot of women and minorities.

• Love 2

I don't have any problems with Captain Marvel. I think it's a well done origin story, I knew nothing about CM before and I got a good sense of her from this movie. I loved her dry sense of humor that Bree Larson portrayed so well. 

I really loved the end where you think you're getting this big fight scene with Jude Law and she just blasts him across the desert and then drags him to his ship. Told me what I need to know about her character right there. Like I said, this is one that I thinks gets better with each watch.

• Love 4

I have some technical issues with the movie (mostly with the editing and the sloppy way the music was included).

But yeah, her blasting Yon-Rogg away is one of my favourite moments in the MCU. Right up there with "I know my value".

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, swanpride said:

And while I see the flaws in Captain Marvel too, I actually do think that it is one of the strongest Marvel produced on a Meta level. The dynamic it portrays is so familiar to a lot of women and minorities.

I absolutely agree. 

19 minutes ago, festivus said:

I really loved the end where you think you're getting this big fight scene with Jude Law and she just blasts him across the desert and then drags him to his ship. Told me what I need to know about her character right there. Like I said, this is one that I thinks gets better with each watch.

I love this scene so much. “I have nothing to prove to you” is probably my favorite line in MCU. 

28 minutes ago, swanpride said:

But yeah, her blasting Yon-Rogg away is one of my favourite moments in the MCU. Right up there with "I know my value".

My favourite part of that scene was he kept criticizing her about how she needs to not use her emotions when she fights and fight without powers. But the hilarious thing is, to just use her powers and end the fight as quickly as possible is fighting without emotions.

• Love 2

I actually loved that because we women get shit on for being too emotional but she just blasted his ass. It was always about him trying to control her, not that emotions are bad. 

I also loved that even though in the end she turned out to be the biggest badass that ever badassed, it wasn't about that either. It was about a woman who kept getting up. 

• Love 11

One of the tropes I hate is the scene when the villain tells the hero to put down his weapon so they can fight hand to hand as if giving up the advantage in a fight somehow makes you a better hero instead of an idiot for throwing away your leverage.  So I loved when the villain tries to get Carol to fight without her powers and she’s says “I have nothing to prove to you” and then she blasts him.  

• Love 9
19 hours ago, festivus said:

We just finished watching Captain Marvel. It gets better every time I watch it. Seeing baby Monica is even better now since we have the awesome grown one. I so want to know what's wrong between her and Carol.

Yes, I sit through 84 million years of credits just to see a "cat" barf up a tesseract and then lick its paw. Adorable.

I think the link between Maria dying of cancer and Carol's powers will be a major source of the tension - 'My mother got sick because she was exposed to alien superpowers and Carol never even came back to see her.'

Either that or we will see that Carol did come back to see Maria at some point after the Snap, and things went sour between her and Monica there.

10 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I love Captain Marvel so much. The fact that it made so much money at the box office was a perfect middle finger to all the incels, trolls, and overall douchebags that tried to trash it. 

The coping mechanisms those people still try to use are hilarious. Some actually keep trying to claim the movie was a failure that Marvel won't repeat, despite the billion dollar box office and the announced sequel, some just resort to claiming Brie Larson can't act, or isn't attractive, or hates men.

Being that toxic, as well as being so consistently wrong that you're forever shifting your goalposts, must be so exhausting.

1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

My favourite part of that scene was he kept criticizing her about how she needs to not use her emotions when she fights and fight without powers. But the hilarious thing is, to just use her powers and end the fight as quickly as possible is fighting without emotions.

I commented on that at the time - Yon-Rogg angrily yells at her to not succumb to her emotions, like a weak woman who can't be trusted to use power responsibly. The projection was so clear, and the parallels to certain real life attitudes was so obviously deliberate, that the entire movie would be worth it just for that.

However, it is a good movie. It's fun, it tells an interesting story and adds depth to the MCU in a number of ways - we get deeper roots for SHIELD and SWORD, we get the seeds for Maria Rambeau being a superhero, we get the Skrulls and the Kree and the building of the Marvel Cosmic world. And we get Carol Danvers, who is awesome and not "overpowered" (something else the manbabies cry about) because Marvel always operates on a sliding scale of power - she'll meet someone more powerful than she is, and have to overcome the threat - and gets one of the biggest fist-pumping, 'this is giving me goosebumps' moments in Endgame when she swoops into the atmosphere and destroys Thanos's ship.

• Love 8

Captain Marvel is definitely one of those movies that's better on repeat. The first time around it felt a little ho-hum (and I was a bit distracted by other stuff going on in the world) and I DO think it suffered a little from the "Marvel formula" at that stage (so did BP if I'm being honest) but I find it's become one of those films I love having on in the background when I'm just pottering around the house. 

And not to move the direction of the conversation away from the women, but Ben Mendelsohn was incredible in that movie. That he could ACT through those prosthetics, and the way he handled the big twist regarding his character's motivations... amazing. I hope he's in CM2, because his dynamic with Carol was fascinating.

I'm still bemused at that massive freak-out they had at the scene (which I think was deleted, so it wasn't even IN the movie) in which Carol steals the bike from the creep trying to get her to smile. Which, putting aside the fact that it's just fiction, is SUCH a prevalent trope that there's a TV Trope page that's LITERALLY called Hero Stole My Bike

Other characters that have stolen modes of transportation in an emergency: the second Terminator, James Bond, Batman, Shrek, Wreck-It Ralph, Marty from Back to the Future, Captain America, Jason Bourne, John McClane, Spiderman, Indiana Jones, Miss Piggy, Mulder & Scully, Kim Possible, Rey & Finn and Alex Rider. Bucky stole a motorbike out from under a man while he was still riding it (and there's no way that didn't break a few bones). Brand from The Goonies stole a tricycle from a screaming toddler.

But when Carol Danvers does it, apparently civilization is about to collapse. 

Edited by Ravenya003
  • Love 8

I honestly think Captain Marvel is one of their best origin story movies.  It comes down to the chemistry between Carol and Fury (and Maria). 

And for all the flack that the big glow-y fight scene gets for the use of "Just a Girl," the entire point of the scene is that Carol hasn't realize how powerful she actually is until then.

• Love 6

I have finally just caught up with everything that is WandaVision and I have one question that keeps bugging me every episode. When is it set exactly in the MCU timeline? Obviously it's after the Hulk Snap, and I assume it's after Tony's funeral. But is it also after Steve returns the stone? Do I just assume it is occurring sometime after the end credits rolled on End Game?

1 hour ago, Bill1978 said:

I have finally just caught up with everything that is WandaVision and I have one question that keeps bugging me every episode. When is it set exactly in the MCU timeline? Obviously it's after the Hulk Snap, and I assume it's after Tony's funeral. But is it also after Steve returns the stone? Do I just assume it is occurring sometime after the end credits rolled on End Game?

It's a few weeks after the Hulk snap - Hayward mentions Monica coming back to work only three weeks after everyone came back.  They never made it clear how much time passed between Tony's funeral and Steve returning the stones, but aside from possibly rebuilding the equipment and waiting for Hank to make more Pym particles there was no reason to wait.  No real reason to rush either, but in hindsight we know Steve was anxious to get back to Peggy.

13 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

And we get Carol Danvers, who is awesome and not "overpowered" (something else the manbabies cry about) because Marvel always operates on a sliding scale of power - she'll meet someone more powerful than she is, and have to overcome the threat - and gets one of the biggest fist-pumping, 'this is giving me goosebumps' moments in Endgame when she swoops into the atmosphere and destroys Thanos's ship.

She is as overpowered as Superman is - there are galactic level threats who can give her a run and magic users are always a problem, but other than that she's unbeatable unless she's nerfed by the plot (see Thor, who was able to beat Thanos once he got Stormbreaker in Infinity War but had his ass handed to him thanks to five years of drinking away the pain in Endgame).

• Love 3
3 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

She is as overpowered as Superman is - there are galactic level threats who can give her a run and magic users are always a problem, but other than that she's unbeatable unless she's nerfed by the plot (see Thor, who was able to beat Thanos once he got Stormbreaker in Infinity War but had his ass handed to him thanks to five years of drinking away the pain in Endgame).

It's lucky she's likely to be fighting galactic level threats, isn't it? Which was my point - they can introduce more powerful characters who she can't easily beat.

The Beyonder, Galactus, the Living Tribunal, Adam Warlock, the Phoenix Force, Genis-Vell, Annihilus, Gladiator, the Celestials. There are plenty of characters who could be used to overpower Captain Marvel, in any number of ways. This is what Marvel (and DC) do - they use the appropriate level of villain to challenge their heroes. Daredevil doesn't spend much time trying to fight Ultron and Thor isn't going to waste his time on the Kingpin.

And "nerfed by the plot" is just another way of saying, "write your heroes into difficult positions so that people are invested in seeing them get out of it."

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, swanpride said:

Captain America ist still my favourite Origin movie, but Captain Marvel is right up there.

Funny you should mention this. I remember seeing Captain America in theaters and being underwhelmed. I thought Steve was joyless and had no appreciation for what he had received from the serum. Cut to a decade later and on rewatch I just love this movie.  I think it's because I know this character now and I can see CE's acting choices and his dry sense of humor/sarcasm comes through more clearly. And yes, ranks as one of my favorite origin movies.

• Love 1

Nah, I liked it from the get go, but I always had a thing for movies which that particular aesthetic and I really appreciated the more subtle touches from the get go. Ie. When Steve unpacks in training camp, he unpacks a lot of books on strategy. When he jumps on the bomb, Peggy is right behind him to do his own jump. When he grieves over Bucky he does so in exactly the same bar where the Howling Commanders formed, but now the bar is bombed out and the time of singing and celebrating is truly over, it is no longer an adventure, it is the harsh reality of war.

Plus, Peggy is awesome. She was from the get go the strongest of all love interests, not because she herself is that strong (though she is), but because she was written with a lot of layers and her own struggles from the get go.

• Love 5

When I watched the movies over the summer, many people told me that they got better as the years went by.  But I think Iron Man, The Avengers, and Captain America: The First Avenger are still very solid, and Captain Marvel was boring.  I think I'd argue that there was a lull in the middle, if anywhere - Thor 2 was awful and neither Iron Man 3 or GOTG are high on my list of favorites (GOTG 2, however, was saved by Baby Groot - on rewatches, I skip the entire Ego storyline unless Baby Groot is in a scene).  But Doctor Strange and Black Panther are two of my favorites, as well as Infinity War and Endgame.

Well, I guess that is the great thing about the MCU...everyone has their favs and their downs, and those are not necessarily the same for everyone.

To me The Incredible Hulk is my least Fav...it doesn't even feel like it belongs to the MCU, plus, I never was into Monster movies and that is exactly what it is.

The worst one is most likely The Dark World, but I would still watch it over TIH for the Loki arc in it and the awesome funeral scene.

Agreed that The Incredible Hulk doesn’t feel like it’s part of the MCU.  I know it technically is, but it doesn’t really feel like it for some reason.  I didn’t hate the movie, and I wish Betty Ross had turned up again later on, but yeah.  It feels like it takes place in a slightly alternate universe. 😄

As for Captain Marvel, I’ve only watched it once, so my opinion might change on a rewatch, but I thought it was average.  I really enjoyed the scenes with Carol and Fury, but overall it didn’t blow me away.  For origin movies, I would put it above Doctor Strange and Thor, and below Black Panther, Iron Man, and CA:TFA. 

And as far as unpopular opinions (I think?), I love the Ant-Man movies, and am not so much a fan of the GotG movies and the Spider-Man movies.  Peter Quill is one of those characters that just grates on my nerves, and the Spider-Man movies just make me feel too old. 🤣😂  That said, I liked the first GotG better than the second one (except for Baby Groot), and Far From Home much more than Homecoming.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 3
On 2/21/2021 at 7:14 AM, Spartan Girl said:

I love Captain Marvel so much.

On 2/21/2021 at 2:25 PM, Bruinsfan said:

I didn't love it that much, to me it was one of Marvel's middle-of-the-road efforts kind of like the Ant Man movies.

I guess I am a middle-of-the-road fan then because Captain Marvel and the Ant-Man movies are probably in my top 5 favorites of all the movies. I don't like the Iron Mans or GotGs. I like the Avenger movies just to see who knows who. But some of the more "stand alone" films are my favorites just because I don't need to recall details from 20 other movies to "enjoy" them.

• Love 1

I like them all, but for different reasons….the Ant-man movies feel for me like those old Disney Family movies. And that is not a dis, I really enjoyed them (or at least, the good between them). The first one is a nice little heist with a twist, the second one is all like one of those good old McGuffin-Chase-movies.

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, swanpride said:

To me The Incredible Hulk is my least Fav...it doesn't even feel like it belongs to the MCU, plus, I never was into Monster movies and that is exactly what it is.

I didn't even watch this one, because it's not on Disney+. 😉  The internet and all of my friends told me it was bad and wasn't important, so I didn't go hunt it down.  Plus, Edward Norton as a superhero?  Yeah, right.

6 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

As for Captain Marvel, I’ve only watched it once, so my opinion might change on a rewatch, but I thought it was average.  I really enjoyed the scenes with Carol and Fury, but overall it didn’t blow me away.  For origin movies, I would put it above Doctor Strange and Thor, and below Black Panther, Iron Man, and CA:TFA. 

And as far as unpopular opinions (I think?), I love the Antman movies, and am not so much a fan of the GotG movies and the Spider-Man movies.  Peter Quill is one of those characters that just grates on my nerves, and the Spider-Man movies just make me feel too old. 😂🤣

I don't think I loved Doctor Strange because it was that great of a story, but it had two big things going for me:  Benedict Cumberbatch, who could act out the phone book and I'd watch, and the visual effects.  It was a trippy good time.

I agree with your unpopular opinions 100%.  I also love the AntMan movies (hello, Paul Rudd!) and dislike Peter Quill.  He's the wrong mix of arrogant and sarcastic for me; he needs to be way less arrogant to be likable.  I also don't think I was the target audience for Spiderman, but Tom Holland is adorable.

Edited by FnkyChkn34
fixed typo
  • Love 5
18 hours ago, starri said:

I honestly think Captain Marvel is one of their best origin story movies.  It comes down to the chemistry between Carol and Fury (and Maria).

Agreed. Captain Marvel is head and shoulders better than CA:TFA, which I find wildly overrated, and is a little better than the first Thor, which I like more than most people. I also think Captain Marvel works better as an origin story for Carol than BP does for T'Challa--BP's supporting cast is phenomenal (which is fantastic), but because of that, there are times that T'Challa gets lost in his own movie, which Carol never does in CM. Ant-Man and Doctor Strange are meh movies. I'm not sure I would consider GotG an "origin" movie, but if we do, I also think that movie is wildly overrated.

So really, I think Captain Marvel is up there with the original Iron Man in terms of providing such a good origin story, and such firm characterization, for the hero.

• Love 2

It might be because it is fresh in my mind but I think worst for me is Age of Ultron. And I accept that part of that is because expectations were so high (Avengers is a great movie and Ultron is a great villain). But it is also because I think it would be hard to make it a good movie without some major changes. Like Iron Man 2 is also not good but I think with some tweaks it could have been a decent movie.

The thing I think is funny though is comparing AoU to Civil War, is that Civil War is good movie other than the bad premise. AoU had a good premise but other than that it is mostly a bad movie. Of those two I think I would prefer the bad premise good movie option.

• Love 1

AoU suffered from DCEU-itis. They tried to do too much in one movie. Introducing Ultron, Vision, Wanda and Pietro in the span of 2 and a half hours was an insane undertaking. Ultron alone needed a single movie just to establish his creation (and I'll always hate that this story and the weird twisted Pym family dynasty will never see the big screen). In retrospect I appreciate that it wasn't great because it just made IW and Endgame look that much better.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, festivus said:

Up until a couple years ago I didn't even know that Incredible Hulk was an MCU movie. In my defense, the Hulk freaks me out. Still haven't seen it.

I've seen both Hulk movies (Eric Bana and Edward Norton) and both left me cold. IMO you aren't missing anything.

I consider myself a huge MCU fan and I can't get into the Guardians of the Galaxy movies.  Not sure what my issue is

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Darlin said:

I've seen both Hulk movies (Eric Bana and Edward Norton) and both left me cold. IMO you aren't missing anything.

Cool. I've always avoided anything involving Hulk like the 'rona and that includes the old TV show. I ended up loving him in The Avengers and subsequent appearances but still have no desire to watch anything else.

6 hours ago, swanpride said:

That makes sense, Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk were basically made at the same time and it was (IMO) the success of Iron Man compared to The Incredible Hulk that caused Iron Man to be the template for the MCU. However, I actually think The Incredible Hulk is better than people give it credit for. Not a great movie, but not horrible either.

I’m not sure which one I would choose for worst between AoU and CA:CW.   Both of them have (a few) things I like and things that drive me absolutely crazy.  Overall, yeah, it’d probably go to AoU, though.  Probably.  The debate continues.

ETA:  No, I’ve changed my mind.  Civil War is definitely worse, for me anyway.  I think it’s the only one that I can’t see a way of salvaging without scrapping and starting over.

Edited by Starfish35

For me the worst will always be Iron Man 2. So much of it is just cringeworthy to me, with Black Widow being just about the only silver lining. That's the one MCU movie I'll immediately change the channel from if I come across it. The rest of them I find enjoyable to a greater or lesser degree, and will at least play in the background to focus on for action sequences or particularly good character moments.  I'll drop whatever I'm doing to watch broadcasts of The Avengers and the first two Captain America movies even though I own DVDs of two and can watch the third on Disney + whenever I feel like it.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

For me the worst will always be Iron Man 2. So much of it is just cringeworthy to me, with Black Widow being just about the only silver lining. That's the one MCU movie I'll immediately change the channel from if I come across it. 

Iron Man 2 is pretty bad. Although if you change Whiplash for a different villain, don't cast Mickey Rourke and get rid of the party scene where Tony pisses himself in the suit you would have an ok movie. The changes to Age of Ultron aren't that easy.

• Love 2