Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Bruinsfan said:

J. K. Simmons has, but I don't know if he'd be subject to the same sort of lockdowns as lead actors.

Well, JK Simmons can do anything.  He's just freakin' awesome. 😉 

1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I imagine there is also a time limit to those things, I mean Christian Bale is going to be in the next Thor movie and you can't be more of a lead than the freakin Batman.

This is a good point, but I also thought that Henry wasn't done playing Superman?  I don't know, I so wanted to love those movies because I loved Dean Cain in Lois & Clark, and Tom Welling in Smallville... but none of these new movies grabbed me.  (Not the actors' faults.)  I'm more of a Marvel fan now, which I didn't even know existed before recently.

• Love 2

I don't really want Henry Cavill because I don't think he can act although I can see his appeal. I'd rather see someone less known, Marvel is really good at taking someone not known and making them iconic. But, sure you can hop franchises. Michael Keaton and now Christian Bale. Maybe it's better to be playing the villain though. 

5 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Can Henry Cavill just jump comic universes like that?  If I were DC, I'd have put a non-compete in his contract.  

He can do whatever, the story is fake.

35 minutes ago, festivus said:

don't really want Henry Cavill because I don't think he can act although I can see his appeal. I'd rather see someone less known, Marvel is really good at taking someone not known and making them iconic.

I used to feel the same way but, I really like him in The Witcher. Granted he's not going to win any awards but, he's no longer a block of wood. 😂

Edited by Morrigan2575

Cavill is actually pretty great in The Tudors—he stole the show right out from under Jonathan Rhys-Meyers in the first season. Maybe the key is just casting him in a similar kind of role? (I agree I have been a little underwhelmed by him in the DC movies, but then again it’s not exactly like he’s working with high-level material there. He hasn’t really played Superman for most of those movies...he’s played Zack Snyder’s “Superman would be much cooler if he was Batman” version of Superman.)

• Love 6
On 1/19/2021 at 5:52 AM, FnkyChkn34 said:

Can Henry Cavill just jump comic universes like that?  If I were DC, I'd have put a non-compete in his contract.  

Non-compete clauses aren’t legal in California. Kevin Feige confirmed Marvel doesn’t have them when Josh Brolin was playing Cable and Thanos. James Gunn said the same when there was discussion over his Suicide Squad. I imagine it’s the same for DC. 

19 hours ago, stealinghome said:

Cavill is actually pretty great in The Tudors—he stole the show right out from under Jonathan Rhys-Meyers in the first season. Maybe the key is just casting him in a similar kind of role? (I agree I have been a little underwhelmed by him in the DC movies, but then again it’s not exactly like he’s working with high-level material there. He hasn’t really played Superman for most of those movies...he’s played Zack Snyder’s “Superman would be much cooler if he was Batman” version of Superman.)

I agree. I’ve felt like he would be a great Superman if they gave home a decent character to play. I’ve liked him in every non-DC movie I’ve seen him in. 

On 1/19/2021 at 12:34 PM, FnkyChkn34 said:

Well, JK Simmons can do anything.  He's just freakin' awesome. 😉 

He is awesome. Plus can you imagine negotiating with that guy. He comes in acting like a nice friendly grandfather type but then all of the sudden you could be talking to Vern Schillinger.

• Love 1

So my kids are really into Wandavision and wanted to see more Wanda. We decided on watching Civil War on Friday because I thought Ultron would be too creepy for them. And after watching it, I think I found a new found appreciation for it. I mean the whole Sokovia accords plot and how Cap and Steve react to it is still garbage and it makes no sense that Tony gets to Siberia minutes after Cap. 

But the movie is plotted really well so there not really many full or slow moments. And the fight scenes are really well shot. Plus considering how many other movies and plotlines it sets up it is pretty impressive how good it is.

Although watching it again, if Bucky was enhanced by HYDRA and they had the ability to do that, why did they need to steal the serum from Howard?

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Although watching it again, if Bucky was enhanced by HYDRA and they had the ability to do that, why did they need to steal the serum from Howard?

If you use the Agent Carter/Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D descriptions of Hydra as linked organizations instead of one supreme leader with access to all as The First Avenger and The Winter Soldier suggest then when Captain America rescued the Howling Commandos Hydra lost their research. And when the Soviet wing of Hydra, Leviathan on Agent Carter got Bucky they were no more able to reverse engineer him than S.H.I.E.L.D was able to produce super soldiers after pulling Captain America from the ice and running medical test on him.

Plus, we see what happens if you give the serum to random people...Hydra has a real problem in this regard, because if they give the serum people who are loyal to Hydra, they get crazy. You need someone like Steve or Bucky, people who are really "good" at their core for it to get the desired result...and such people would never do Hydra's bidding willingly.

• Love 1

WandaVision is great, but it makes me angrier about Steve’s Endgame bullshit. Oh boo hoo, your not-girlfriend had a long full life with another man. Try being forced to kill the one you love only to have Thanos bring him back and kill him AGAIN right in front you!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Not even, I'd love for one of movies to deal with deaths cause by the dusting (car, plane, bus, train accidents).

Not a chance since the wrote off any collateral damages with the basketball game versus band scene and the MCU society writing the 5 years off as the blip in Spider-Man 

Some of you should catch up on Wandavision!

2 hours ago, Raja said:

Not a chance since the wrote off any collateral damages with the basketball game versus band scene and the MCU society writing the 5 years off as the blip in Spider-Man 

I think that's a little unfair. We mostly got the reaction of teenagers and they can write off most things in a meme these days.

Edited by JessePinkman
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Raja said:

We've only had one movie since Endgame. And then covid paused everything. 

I think it's way too soon to say the Blip was written off. WandaVision and the upcoming shows are the first real opportunity to address it in a wider frame and they're just now getting started. 

Plus the whole creative team has had a year to refine and polish plans/scripts/casting/etc for Phase Four. You think Kevin Feige is going to let their success be marred now?

• Love 1

I agree. We are just delving into Phase 4 and I think it is save to suspect that a lot will hark back to the snap (I refuse to call it a blip), the same way a lot of Phase three tied into Ultron and a lot of Phase two tied into the Battle of New York.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Raja said:

Far From Home takes place months afterwards and was from teenagers perspective. The way Wandavision dealt with it really shows the actual trauma and horror for people coming back so I'm actually pleased with it. 

Also as light as the Ant-Man movies are I don't think they're going to gloss over Scott missing 5 years of his daughter's life.

Some new set photos from the new Thor movie show him and the Guardians of the Galaxy. Some people online are upset it means a crossover but Endgame left Thor with them so they had to acknowledge it.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Some new set photos from the new Thor movie show him and the Guardians of the Galaxy. Some people online are upset it means a crossover but Endgame left Thor with them so they had to acknowledge it.

Aren't many of the movies "crossovers" then?  Iron Man is in Spiderman, Dr. Strange and Hulk are in Thor: Ragnarok, Captain America: Civil War was way more of an Avengers movie than it was a Captain America solo movie, etc., etc.  I don't see how anyone can complain about other characters showing up in any of the movies.  And who knows, maybe the GOTG characters are just in a cameo scene in the beginning, dropping Thor off on Earth and leaving.  No reason to be upset without knowing any details. 🤣 

• Love 1

The MCU is kind of damned if they do, damned if they don't at this point. People will freak out if they don't see what happened with Thor and the GotG. But as soon as there's a major threat in a movie it's "but why didn't Cap call Iron Man in Winter Soldier?", etc. 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, JessePinkman said:

New Falcon and Winter Soldier trailer (I'm sure they have their own forum but thought people here might be interested):

HAHAhahahahah oh I cannot wait for this.   🤣😂🤣  This looks amazing.   And yay for Sharon!  I may not have thought that Emily Van Camp and Chris Evans had any chemistry (which was strange!), but that didn’t mean that I didn’t like Sharon herself.  I always loved her standing up to Rumlow in CAWS.  

• Love 7

Sharon didn’t get to shine like she should have in the CA movies because Marvel/the Russos gave all the thunder to ScarJo rather than do the Black Widow movie sooner. It looks like she’s gonna get to be more awesome in this, and I’m fucking here for it.

• Love 4

I'd probably be more invested in Sharon if they had cast a stronger actress in the role. I am just not a fan of Emily what'sherface from Revenge.

I won't lie: I'm in it for Bucky, because I adore Sebastian Stan. There. I said it.

But I'm most chomping at the bit for Loki. Because I luuuuuuuuuuurve Tom Hiddleston. I used to hate the character of Loki, but Hiddleston just made him so...difficult to hate. But I also laughed my ass off when Hulk threw him around like a rag doll, and finished it with "Puny God" in The Avengers.

4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I'd probably be more invested in Sharon if they had cast a stronger actress in the role. I am just not a fan of Emily what'sherface from Revenge.

I won't lie: I'm in it for Bucky, because I adore Sebastian Stan. There. I said it.

But I'm most chomping at the bit for Loki. Because I luuuuuuuuuuurve Tom Hiddleston. I used to hate the character of Loki, but Hiddleston just made him so...difficult to hate. But I also laughed my ass off when Hulk threw him around like a rag doll, and finished it with "Puny God" in The Avengers.

Same here, Bucky has been so underused in the movies in my opinion. I was hoping he would have had a more expansive role as the White Wolf in Black Panther with T'Challa.. I still can't believe Chadwick is gone...

Edited by Pearson80
6 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

We all did. And i think we all loved his reaction when Thor got the same treatment: “YES!!! THAT’S HOW IT FEELS!”

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Chyromaniac said:

It is my most fervent wish, that whenever FaWS is released, that it can be watched and evaluated on its own merits- and not as yet another opportunity to relitigate the final moments of Avengers Endgame...

Dear god please yes! I cannot take this board getting on that topic yet again. 

• Love 6

I don't like Cap's ending….but I wanted a Bucky and Sam road trip movie since Winter Soldier so I'll take the show as what it is and just put my feelings regarding how they did Cap and Peggy dirty aside.

Bucky is one of my favourite characters anyway.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, anna0852 said:

I know the rumors have swirled for years and then Ray Fisher spoke up. I'm glad others are able to break their silence.

And I'm mad that he turned out so awful. 

Rumors have been around for years that he was awful. I'm just glad people were finally able to speak about what happened. Whedon acted like people burned his house down because they dared to say they didn't love Age of Ultron.

• Love 1

Age of Ultron was garbage and his handling of Natasha in that movie was abysmal. Yes, Scarlett Johansson had the temerity to get pregnant but turning her into a lovesick damsel who had to be rescued was petty... and nothing new for Whedon, who killed off Charisma Carpenter's character in Angel because she also got pregnant, and apparently didn't tell the producers promptly enough.

I've already pointed out in another thread that I doubt Whedon displayed much toxic behaviour on the Avengers set, simply because Jon Favreau and RDJ had already established the expectations for anyone working on an MCU movie, and the rest of the cast and crew probably followed their example.

• Love 4

I thought for awhile that Age of Ultron would be better as time passed, it was just unfortunate to be the sequel to one of the biggest and most beloved blockbusters ever and only failed to live up to the hype, but...it still has some real issues and Natasha and how she was handled is a big one. I do actually kind of appreciate Ultron* a bit more in retrospect, especially as its becomes more relevant to the rest of the MCU, and there are a lot of things that I do like about it, but if anything, the plot with Natasha has aged even worse with what we have learned about Joss Whedon, as a writer and as a person. Something that I've never really liked about his writing is his tendency to give his female characters very stereotypically "gendered" problems too often, a lot of sexual assaults and threats of it (literally, metaphorically, magically) and baby issues and magical pregnancies, and while those can be handled well, they often aren't and its a pattern that I have never been thrilled about, and he ended up going that path with Natasha in a way that was really annoying, especially as it was tied into the worlds most random love story. They even had to have her get captured by Ultron for like two seconds just so she could be a damsel for Bruce to save, for really no reason. 

*Of course I'm one of those weirdos who basically likes all of the MCU movies and I don't think any of them have been absolutely terrible. At worst, they're just kind of meh, like Iron Man Two, or they are mostly really good but have a few aspects that I am not into at all, like how Steve's ending was handled in Endgame. I put Ultron in the meh category, with one thing that I REALLY dislike. 

• Love 7

Frankly, from the get go everything I didn't like about Age of Ultron boiled down to what they did to Natasha. And I don't just mean the whole "I am a monster" thing, I mean the whole reasoning behind the romance, that she is the one send out to calm the hulk out instead of Thor (really, it kind of irks me that it isn't done there and then played for laughs in Ragnarök, it would make perfect since for Thor to do it and not Natasha, because he is the one Avenger who could easily survive a direct hit from Hulk and they have some sort of battle brothership established in The Avengers, but naturally the only character who can calm down a monster just has to be female), and the whole kidnapping plot in the end...there is no way that Natasha would need Bruce Banner in normalo form to get out of a simple cell, that is just silly.

Like, everything else, even the hot tub vision machine, I can either deal with or is even something I like, but everything related to Natasha always soured the movie on me.

• Love 7

It's funny my daughters are super into Wandavision so on their last PD day I stayed home with them and we watched Civil War (because my 7 year old loves spider man). It was actually better than I remembered and other than the Avengers reaction to the accords it was a decent movie.

Today they had another PD day and we decided to watch Age of Ultron. And disappointingly it has the same issues I remember if not more. The whole middle part at the farm drags on and kills the momentum. Plus as bad as Natasha's scenes are there is a scene with Hawkeye and his wife and the dialogue that Linda Cardilini has is even worse. Plus as mentioned many times Thor's vision makes no sense. The final battle is a mess too and super anti-climactic. And the fight scenes, especially the last one looked super bad especially when they are all in the church fighting 100's of CG robots. The fight in Seoul was cool though.

Plus even my 10 year old wondered why Sam wasn't part of the final fight. She thought maybe he just shows up for the parties.

Also Ultron's Whedon style quips and attempts at humour were very lame.

• Love 1