Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

In my view, Spider-Man movies are geared slightly more towards kids than the other MCU movies are; so they need to keep the plots less complicated (if that really is their intentional target audience, I could be wrong).  I don't see the movie working very well if it's too complex with multi-verses and time travel and 8 different Spider-Men... Those plots would work much better with Dr. Strange or a new set of characters.

8 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And the SHEER AWESOMENESS of seeing Thor's Eye go all lightning blue and his whole body shimmering with same before he pounds on Hulk with, again, that awesome song "Immigrant" playing

They really missed the opportunity to use that song again when Thor, Rocket, and Groot made their big entrance on the battlefield in Infinity War. Yeah yeah I know people on the internet spliced in that song in the clip but it would have been an AMAZING callback in the actual movie.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Blade and Punisher should be Rated R but, I'm not going to throw a fit over PG-13 vs R. To be honest it doesn't mean much to me as long as the story and acting is good

Yea it should be. The nice thing about R rating is that you can show violence with consequences, instead of the sanitized violence you usually get in Marvel movies. The first season of Daredevil was probably the closest thing to am R rated MCU products we will ever get. So when he would punch people you would actually see blood and broken bones. But I don't see a MCU movie ever happening, especially with the budgets of those movies.

10 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

They really missed the opportunity to use that song again when Thor, Rocket, and Groot made their big entrance on the battlefield in Infinity War. Yeah yeah I know people on the internet spliced in that song in the clip but it would have been an AMAZING callback in the actual movie.

Led Zeppelin are super picky about what movies they let their songs be used in. Just about every movie I have seen with a Zeppelin song usually has a story of the director or star personally asking the band.

Unlike the vast majority of people who saw it, I wasn't that fond of the second use of "Immigrant Song" in Thor: Ragnarok, nor of the very two-dimensional videogame-y look of the fight sequence it was played over. Though the earlier big fight in Muspelheim was awesome, and its perfect use in the teaser trailer for the movie was so good I needed a cigarette afterwards.

14 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Yea it should be. The nice thing about R rating is that you can show violence with consequences, instead of the sanitized violence you usually get in Marvel movies. The first season of Daredevil was probably the closest thing to am R rated MCU products we will ever get. So when he would punch people you would actually see blood and broken bones. But I don't see a MCU movie ever happening, especially with the budgets of those movies.

Both Deadpool movies were rated R, weren't they?  Fiege says Deadpool is in the MCU, even though we might disagree.

As of now, Shang Chi is still set to come out in July, right? I've been jonesing for any kind of look at this movie - I'm antsy for a trailer, but could we at least get some first look images or something? I spent the summer getting to know Simu Liu via Kim's Convenience, I'm so ready for Michelle Yeoh to have an MCU role beyond a Ravager cameo in GotG2, and I've been waiting YEARS for Tony Leung Chiu-wai to be in a Hollywood movie. I get that COVID might push it back again (especially if theaters aren't ready for Black Widow in May,) but can I at least get something to hold me over until then?

• Love 1

I expect the movie schedule to be pushed back again. People are getting the vaccine, which is great, but not nearly enough be immunized by May for theaters to be safe. They should just delay another six months since that’s more realistic. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Both Deadpool movies were rated R, weren't they?  Fiege says Deadpool is in the MCU, even though we might disagree.

Deadpool can be in and be outside due to its cross the wall structure. In any case was he talking about before or going ahead. If before there is the X-Men cameo scene in the second Deadpool  to consider

1 hour ago, Raja said:

Deadpool can be in and be outside due to its cross the wall structure. In any case was he talking about before or going ahead. If before there is the X-Men cameo scene in the second Deadpool  to consider

Maybe I misunderstood the original post and they were only talking about a Daredevil movie never being made, but I thought they meant that there will never be an R-rated MCU movie.  There's a Deadpool 3 supposedly in the works, and we all know it'll be rated R.  So there will be (and have been) R-rated MCU movies, at least according to Fiege who says Deadpool is in the MCU.  That was my only point, sorry if I wasn't clear.

Edited by FnkyChkn34
46 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Maybe I misunderstood the original post and they were only talking about a Daredevil movie never being made, but I thought they meant that there will never be an R-rated MCU movie.  There's a Deadpool 3 supposedly in the works, and we all know it'll be rated R.  So there will be (and have been) R-rated MCU movies, at least according to Fiege who says Deadpool is in the MCU.  That was my only point, sorry if I wasn't clear.

I believe Fiege has indicated that Deadpool, is the exception. They plan to make Deadpool 3 R rated and, that will be in the MCU. The first 2 are clearly FOX Properties.  I would imagine that Deadpool/MCU will just throw in a 4th Wall Break to lampshade that Deadpool is in the MCU now.

I wonder if MCU Deadpool not only being a financial hit but, not dragging the MCU "name" through the mud, would change the plans for Blade? I don't know the timing or which movie comes out first. 

My impression is that fairly violent movies can get a PG-13 rating if there's no sex in the mix. I bet if the new Blade movie takes it easy on the vampires lounging around in sultry outfits and holding BDSM parties, they can get away with all the blood and gore they want.

2 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

My impression is that fairly violent movies can get a PG-13 rating if there's no sex in the mix. I bet if the new Blade movie takes it easy on the vampires lounging around in sultry outfits and holding BDSM parties, they can get away with all the blood and gore they want.

I think blood splatter is also a break point for the American ratings board.

22 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

It's showing blood that is the big no-no. PG-13 is allowed one F-Bomb but no nudity. However, for the "fans" assuming it's the same as Deadpool, they want to see the blood. I just checked and Blade (1998) was R Rated. I really do think Blade should be an R but, I'll be OK if it isn't as long as the movie is good.

1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I believe Fiege has indicated that Deadpool, is the exception. They plan to make Deadpool 3 R rated and, that will be in the MCU. The first 2 are clearly FOX Properties.  I would imagine that Deadpool/MCU will just throw in a 4th Wall Break to lampshade that Deadpool is in the MCU now.

I wonder if MCU Deadpool not only being a financial hit but, not dragging the MCU "name" through the mud, would change the plans for Blade? I don't know the timing or which movie comes out first. 

I am sure a big part of that is if Feige told Ryan Reynolds that he had to rein in the violence, language and content, Feige would probably be getting a call from Bob Iger says he needs to either work on an R rated Deadpool or work on his resume.

Language is a BIG part of the ratings.  For example, Hamilton, as done on stage and filmed for Disney+, should be rated R if unedited.  As it is now, it's PG-13 on Disney+ because Lin Manuel Miranda had to give up two places where the F-word is used.  (I personally think that he gave up all three, because the movie version still sounds edited to me, but he claimed on Twitter that they let him have one and he gave up two.)  And Hamilton has no nudity, sex, blood, or even real violence to speak of.  Language is only a "big deal" to Americans, too... but that's a rant for a different day. 

I'm pretty sure Ryan Reynolds said he'd walk if Deadpool 3 can't be R.  Deadpool isn't Deadpool without the foul mouth sarcasm, let alone any violence or other "adult theme."

2 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I am sure a big part of that is if Feige told Ryan Reynolds that he had to rein in the violence, language and content, Feige would probably be getting a call from Bob Iger says he needs to either work on an R rated Deadpool or work on his resume.

In no world would Bob Iger prioritize Ryan Reynolds or Deadpool's box office over Kevin Feige and the MCU's multi-billionaire dollar cash cow. 

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, JessePinkman said:

In no world would Bob Iger prioritize Ryan Reynolds or Deadpool's box office over Kevin Feige and the MCU's multi-billionaire dollar cash cow. 

Yeah. Feige already had it's the "might be fired over this" showdown over Perlmutter and he walked away with almost complete control. Unless something drastic happens or completely awful allegations emerge he's not getting a pink slip after $22.5 billion for arguing about the rating of a $1.5 billion sub franchise. 

That said, whilst I'm still really unsure about Deadpool "joining" the MCU I am glad it will still be R rated. I think they can get away with it because Deadpool is so clearly its own thing whereas projects like Daredevil, Jessica Jones and probably Blade played it/will play it much straighter and they don't want to do a "Don't your Kids MCU" at the moment. 

• Love 1

Hopefully the new Blade movie will be far removed from the Wesley Snipes films.  Maybe a Blade who isn't superhuman and isn't so cold and emotionless.  And leave behind the Goyer vampire mythology.   And no Whistler.  Etc etc.

Blade's been portrayed as superhuman in the comics in recent years (decades, really) because of the influence of the movie franchise. I imagine we'll see him fighting vampires on a level playing field, though with Mahershala Ali in the role they'd be insane to waste his talent by having him play it flat affect.

I'm putting everything in spoilers since this is a theory inspired by the most recent Wandavision episode which has been live for about six hours.

Spoiler

Way back I theorized that, assuming they're meant to be in the MCU, one way we could get mutants is as a result of the Snap. Now I'm even more convinced. In today's episode of Wandavision we saw why the twins were the survivors of the experiments in Sokovia: they already had latent powers. We specifically saw Wanda's getting unlocked and, while we didn't have a scene with Pietro, we know his were unlocked as well. Agatha was baffled at how Wanda could have magic and still know nothing about spellcasting so I think this is a sign that they were really mutants. So, if proximity to a single Infinity Stone unlocked the mutant gene then it's likely that the Infinity energy from the Snap did as well. This applies to Banner and Stark too. Banner's Snap could have unlocked the mutant gene in any children born during the five years while Stark's could have unlocked the gene in the people who were returned.

And now I’m rewatching Iron Man.

Just who was the idiot who had the Iraqis speaking in Hindi???? They speak Arabic and Kurdish. The closed captioning can’t make up their minds as to how to identify what Farhan Tahir’s character is speaking: they go from Urdu to Arabic to Urdu. But it’s Hindi he’s speaking: an Indian language. Urdu is a...formalized version of Hindi-they both sound similar but there are minute differences. It’s laziness. No excuse for ignorance in 2008.

😒😒😒😒😒😒

• Useful 3
10 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And now I’m rewatching Iron Man.

Just who was the idiot who had the Iraqis speaking in Hindi???? They speak Arabic and Kurdish. The closed captioning can’t make up their minds as to how to identify what Farhan Tahir’s character is speaking: they go from Urdu to Arabic to Urdu. But it’s Hindi he’s speaking: an Indian language. Urdu is a...formalized version of Hindi-they both sound similar but there are minute differences. It’s laziness. No excuse for ignorance in 2008.

😒😒😒😒😒😒

I don't know about the subtitles being accurate or not, but the Ten Rings are stated in the film to be a multinational organization who speak a bunch of different languages. Also the middle east action in the film was set in Afghanistan, with the possible exception of the cave which never had an exact location established.

According to Tahir in this interview they were speaking Urdu as well as Hindi, Arabic, and Hugarian to avoid implicating any one group of people as the terrorists.

• Love 6
On 2/24/2021 at 8:00 PM, Sakura12 said:

Into the Spiderverse is an animated movie that dealt with the multiverse and kids liked that movie. So I don't see why the live action couldn't do it. 

Agreed. Our 5-year-old adores Into the Spiderverse and had no trouble wrapping her brain around the concept of multiple universes. She added a whole bunch of quite scientific words to her vocabulary after watching!

8 hours ago, Llywela said:

Agreed. Our 5-year-old adores Into the Spiderverse and had no trouble wrapping her brain around the concept of multiple universes. She added a whole bunch of quite scientific words to her vocabulary after watching!

When I showed my niece Cap: Winter Soldier and was explaining the brainwashing, she recalled the storyline from Avatar: The Last Airbender with the Earth Nation brainwashing some of it's citizens. Animation opens all sorts of doors for the younger audience to grasp concepts. 

• Love 2
On 3/3/2021 at 10:44 AM, Llywela said:

I suppose the difference would be that Into the Spiderverse had very distinct, strongly defined alternative spider-people, who were a lot of fun, whereas introducing the multiverse in Spider-Man 3 would just mean there were two more blandly handsome white guys with brown hair wearing Spider-Man costumes.

It seems to have become the big 'thing' online that Maguire and Garfield have to appear in Spider-Man: No Way Home but I'm at the stage now where I really, really don't want Tom Holland's time taken up by two alternate versions from (I'm now prepared to state) inferior movies.

I'm happy for the multiverse concept to be developed further in Doctor Strange and probably the Fantastic Four, but I just hope it's not in Spider-Man.

• Love 5
On 3/4/2021 at 3:33 PM, Danny Franks said:

It seems to have become the big 'thing' online that Maguire and Garfield have to appear in Spider-Man: No Way Home but I'm at the stage now where I really, really don't want Tom Holland's time taken up by two alternate versions from (I'm now prepared to state) inferior movies.

I am thinking the same thing. Peter's identity being revealed seems like a huge plot for a movie. Tacking on a whole multi-verse thing seems like way too much for one movie. Plus by the time this movie comes out it will have been close to 20 years since the first Sam Raimi Spider man came out. And yea the Garfield movies were not good.

• Love 1

They weren't but (unpopular opinion) I think they were still an improvement from the original trilogy which basically had the benefit of being the first and being released during an entirely different time. I don't think that they would succeed if they were released today.

Anyway, I like the idea of the MCU playing with the multiverse, I DON'T like the idea of them mixing in what I consider lesser properties. I don't want the Fox X-men, I want the MCU version of the X-men. A nod, fine, I can life with that, but to me the MCU is so well done, why diminishing it?

• Love 5
6 hours ago, swanpride said:

They weren't but (unpopular opinion) I think they were still an improvement from the original trilogy which basically had the benefit of being the first and being released during an entirely different time. I don't think that they would succeed if they were released today.

Anyway, I like the idea of the MCU playing with the multiverse, I DON'T like the idea of them mixing in what I consider lesser properties. I don't want the Fox X-men, I want the MCU version of the X-men. A nod, fine, I can life with that, but to me the MCU is so well done, why diminishing it?

I think it is just try to give the audience what they said they wanted. Like their Quicksilver was better than the one we had. (who I think was killed in a handshake gentleman's deal) When I think it just came down to how super speed was portrayed the first time and that got tired by the time the X movies got to their end. Both sets of Magneto and Professor X bring a fan base along with Deadpool. But if they get those actors then comes the demand that it should be connected. Like with Charlie Cox and the Netflix folks.

Being connected means that the unpopular actors and storylines  also are connected and therein lies the rub. Especially since the other products mostly ran through the A stories of their characters and the MCU would have to decide to go to their B stories or give us say the third Dark Phoenix  try. 

9 hours ago, swanpride said:

I think the Raimi movies are better than the Amazing spiderman movies but as much as I love Sam Raimi they are totally a product of their time. I watched them in 2019 I think and even 1 and 2 are super over dramatic, with the acting the score and some of the way it is filmed it is approaching soap opera levels. But they get points for being way better than just about anything else out at the time. The amazing movies had things that were better but the first one came out the same year as Avengers and the second the same year as Winter Soldier, so they should have been way better.

As for the X-Men I would be ok with Marvel not doing them even though I know they will (I would be ok with individual mutants showing up like Beast as an Avengers). I mean Logan was a perfect send off for those characters and I am glad they never tried to make any other X-Men movies after that other than Deadpool.

4 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

As for the X-Men I would be ok with Marvel not doing them even though I know they will (I would be ok with individual mutants showing up like Beast as an Avengers). I mean Logan was a perfect send off for those characters and I am glad they never tried to make any other X-Men movies after that other than Deadpool.

I agree. I feel like the x man have been done to death and don't need any new movies right now. The MCU is great the way it is and doesn't need them.

• Love 1

But eventually they have to. Not doing the X-Men is leaving billions of dollars on the table. And I'm infinitely grateful it won't be the Fox X-Men.

I like that it's (apparently) going to be a slow rollout. Not Wanda whispering "more mutants" and suddenly Wolverine pops up to shank someone. I always thought that was stupid.

Since Feige likes to stick fairly close to the comics I actually hope we get a movie with the first 5 students. Even if it's the 5 kids meeting the second class so we get to Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler, etc. faster.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, JessePinkman said:

Since Feige likes to stick fairly close to the comics I actually hope we get a movie with the first 5 students. Even if it's the 5 kids meeting the second class so we get to Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler, etc. faster.

They'd likely never launch a new X-Men movie without Wolverine, and the O5 are also all white.  I can definitely see a movie that's like First Class, but they'd take characters from all different eras.

I just want a Storm solo movie at some point.

I think the Raimi movies are better than the Amazing spiderman movies but as much as I love Sam Raimi they are totally a product of their time. I watched them in 2019 I think and even 1 and 2 are super over dramatic, with the acting the score and some of the way it is filmed it is approaching soap opera levels. But they get points for being way better than just about anything else out at the time. The amazing movies had things that were better but the first one came out the same year as Avengers and the second the same year as Winter Soldier, so they should have been way better.

Yeah, I kind of agree with that. I genuinely enjoyed them more than the Raimi movie (better love interest, actual character development for Peter, Garfield is a way better actor than McGuire, the chemistry between the main leads were off the charts, the side characters were actual characters instead of card board cut outs and voice boxes (still my favourite version of Flash, btw) and outside of the train sequence, the action scenes are way better staged.  Oh, and the first one has one of the best Stan Lee Cameos), and I think if they had allowed Webb to actually do his thing instead of expecting a lot of universe stuff from him his take could have been truly good, but I acknowledge that in the context of what around at the time, they fell more short.

The Holland take is clearly the best so far for me.

• Love 2

Wolverine should absolutely be completely off the table at this point.  And as for the rest, it should probably be mostly all new mutants, with some exceptions.  But no more Xavier, Magneto, Mystique, Jean, Scott, Storm, Beast, etc.  Just an all new team of mutants. 

Yeah, it sucks that Fox happened, but Fox happened.  And to me that means at least another decade or so without mutants.  But of course $$$$$$ so that's that then. 

7 minutes ago, Tenshinhan said:

Wolverine should absolutely be completely off the table at this point.  And as for the rest, it should probably be mostly all new mutants, with some exceptions.  But no more Xavier, Magneto, Mystique, Jean, Scott, Storm, Beast, etc.  Just an all new team of mutants. 

Yeah, it sucks that Fox happened, but Fox happened.  And to me that means at least another decade or so without mutants.  But of course $$$$$$ so that's that then. 

The problem with new mutant characters is that everyone wanted the stars. If it was just people with powers they would have went ahead and  just use an alien as MCU science already accounted for them. Or run with Inhumans minus the Royal family, which in the end ruined the concept for all. After all minus the king Inhumans are effectively just mutants with their roots from the Kree instead of an unknown source. So if FOX ruined the best mutants with their movies and The Gifted TV series and Marvel ruined their best Inhumans with the miniseries and the big two, Daisy and Yo-yo from the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. all we have left are relatively unknown characters and you might as well make someone up like the other Inhumans on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Wolverine is a character they can put off for a long time before bringing on. His mutation allows him to live much longer so they can put some distance between Hugh and the next guy.

I think they want the X-Men to be a part of the existing MCU rather than have their own universe if only for the money.

The biggest problem they have when they bring in the X-Men is Magneto's backstory. Every other character can be adjusted to the modern setting but Erik being a Holocaust survivor is a huge part of who he is and informs who he becomes. I can't see them changing that. Thankfully Feige is a long term planner so I'm sure he and the team are already prepared.

As for the other initial mutants I expect them to bring on the original group and build from there. Just start from the beginning and tell the stories.

• Love 2

I was actually trying to think if another, more recent genocide could be Erik's backstory, but the experiments on prisoners is, I think, relatively unique to Nazi doctors and the Holocaust. Maybe the Khmer Rouge but I doubt it. Rwanda, Bosnia/former Yugoslavia, as horrific as those terrors are, aren't quite the same for this backstory. What does it say that we have so many atrocities to consider?

1 hour ago, scarynikki12 said:

The biggest problem they have when they bring in the X-Men is Magneto's backstory. Every other character can be adjusted to the modern setting but Erik being a Holocaust survivor is a huge part of who he is and informs who he becomes. I can't see them changing that. Thankfully Feige is a long term planner so I'm sure he and the team are already prepared.

Slow ageing as a side-effect of tapping into the Earth's magnetic field? It's on the same level as spider bite and gamma radiation.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, Anduin said:

Slow ageing as a side-effect of tapping into the Earth's magnetic field? It's on the same level as spider bite and gamma radiation.

Presumably Magneto is still around in the comics being written today and they are not period pieces. I would think there must be an explanation for a 100 year old leader written already 

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Raja said:

Presumably Magneto is still around in the comics being written today and they are not period pieces. I would think there must be an explanation for a 100 year old leader written already 

He was de-aged, then re-aged, but not all the way. Plus there's plenty of magic, advanced and alien technology floating around in the comics. Space travel, time travel, other dimensions, you name it. Besides, people in comics only age when the writer, artist, or editor decide they do.

• Love 1