Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E12: The Dead

• Start Topic

On 1/8/2019 at 11:45 AM, grommit2 said:

None of the neighbors noticed the backyard digging?  With all the lights on?  Hmmm...

Not to mention whatever they were burning and the chain saw noise?

I guess they had to show the clean up to show how the Donovans band together?  But it was kind of a ghoulish quality, like they're on automatic.  Smitty has real human reactions to what's happening but Bridget serves sandwiches to the family who are all covered in blood and then sets the plate down and runs the chain saw herself.

OK, maybe Mickey and the brothers have done this before but not Bridget.

Meanwhile, Ray goes to settle scores, which includes Sam, the one giving him the lifestyle and gives Lena closure.  Looks cool but she didn't have any harness so even if she can hold herself up on that rope, there would be some serious rope burns.

Now the mayor of NYC can get Bunchy out of federal custody?  First he gets kickbacks from state prison and now he gets someone free from serious federal charges.  This is not your father's city government.

Well looks like he has a job offer with Ferratti but doubtful he can provide Ray with the lifestyle that he's become accustomed to.

But now his face is on TV so how will he continue to fix things?  And Anita may be heard from again.

• Love 2

I knew this season's finale would end with Ray calling Dr. Alan Alda. So the next season will leap forward to a new and mentally healthy Ray Donovan? Ray is a serial killer and a sociopath. But, Liev Schreiber makes him in some way likable. Ah, it is a miracle how TV f*cks with our heads. So when will season 7 air? In 2020? These long time periods between seasons for so many shows gets me nuts. 

Bridget trotting out with sandwiches as her family was digging holes to bury dead people who were in that garage getting their heads chopped off was excellent comic relief. 

Edited by DakotaLavender
verb tense change
  • Love 2

Why did I waste time watching all the episodes? Everything was summarized in the beginning of the episode.

Once Bridget grabbed the chain saw, I thought Smitty was dreaming (but he wasn't). When did she become accustomed to the blood/hacking Donovan behavior? I understand she hated the cops for holding her hostage but this is new level of craziness for her.

Sandy's shrubs are so high the neighbors can't see what's going on?

Ray must hate snow. Never mention snow to Ray!

Poor Smitty! He had plenty of chances to leave this family.

How is Bunchy released, he should be locked away for killing the guard with a hammer.

It's too late for Mickey to try and prove he wasn't a shitty father!

Would loved to have seen Lena taking care of Sam.

There will be another season of Donovan hi jinks! Yay!

Four cops are dead/missing, Ray comes forward with Sam/Novak and none of the other NYPD are questioning him? I guess this was part of the deal with Ferrati?

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 4

I was surprised to see Sam in the end.  I fell for the misdirection when it was only blond thug in his trunk.

1 hour ago, mxc90 said:

Would loved to have seen Lena taking care of Sam.

Do we think Lena did it, or Ray?

So, even though clearly none of the kids remember Mickey reading to them, we’re supposed to believe they all just had faulty memories like Terry with the girl Bunchy liked?  Nope, don’t think so.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, TexasGal said:

I could be wrong but I don't think this show would let us see/think Ray killed a woman (even as vile as Sam).

I just assumed they showed Lena entering her building to go kill Sam. 

I was surprised to see Sam dead too. When Ray and her were talking, I thought they were going get into bed.

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 1

It seemed a little out of character for Bridget to casually serve sandwiches and offer to use the chainsaw to keep cutting up bodies, but I guess the writers decided she needed to join in the Donovan criminal activity without blinking to make Smitty look like a wuss.

Leave it to Mickey to ruin Bridget's wedding dinner with his drunken defensive outburst. Way to make it all about you, Mickey!

And who cares if Mickey was there to read James Joyce to the kids? Does that make up for abandoning his kids when their mother was dying of cancer? Does that make up for being a shitty father? Not in my book.

• Love 9
13 hours ago, scrb said:

Now the mayor of NYC can get Bunchy out of federal custody?  First he gets kickbacks from state prison and now he gets someone free from serious federal charges.  This is not your father's city government.

Well, he was able earlier, at Ray's request, to get the FBI to drop the investigation into Bunchy. I guess Mr. Mayor still has his high-up FBI contact that could tell the agent to turn Bunchy loose. 

7 hours ago, mxc90 said:

Once Bridget grabbed the chain saw, I thought Smitty was dreaming (but he wasn't). When did she become accustomed to the blood/hacking Donovan behavior? I understand she hated the cops for holding her hostage but this is new level of craziness for her.

3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

It seemed a little out of character for Bridget to casually serve sandwiches and offer to use the chainsaw to keep cutting up bodies, but I guess the writers decided she needed to join in the Donovan criminal activity without blinking to make Smitty look like a wuss.

I know. She went awfully fast from hating Ray and all he's done to being quite fine w/ the covering up of the murders of three cops. I know the cops kidnapped her and Ray rescued her, but it's not the first time Ray has saved her from serious trouble / death. Yet, she still hated what he did and didn't accept it. BTW, it's a herd of cows, and a murder of crows, but what do you call a bunch of cops? 

7 hours ago, mxc90 said:

How is Bunchy released, he should be locked away for killing the guard with a hammer.

The FBI agent told Terry that the guard didn't die, but he was severely concussed. But, you're right - between that, helping a fugitive escape, and kidnapping a child, Bunchy really should be facing a long jail term.

6 hours ago, mxc90 said:

I could be wrong but I don't think this show would let us see/think Ray killed a woman (even as vile as Sam).

I just assumed they showed Lena entering her building to go kill Sam. 

Given that Sam's betrayal could have resulted in Bridget's death, I thought Ray killed Sam, then took the muscle and called Lena so she could hang him. I also thought Lena was going into the funeral home to see her friend and not Sam's building. And, Lena's so bad ass that, never mind not wearing a harness, she didn't even where gloves. It was funny seeing her look at her palms as she entered the funeral home. 

At the start of the episode, I thought that Ray was going to kill the Mayor, but do it in such a way that he framed Sam - maybe by having her new fixer in the room. I should have realized that wouldn't be enough for Ray. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

Given that Sam's betrayal could have resulted in Bridget's death, I thought Ray killed Sam, then took the muscle and called Lena so she could hang him. I also thought Lena was going into the funeral home to see her friend and not Sam's building. And, Lena's so bad ass that, never mind not wearing a harness, she didn't even where gloves. It was funny seeing her look at her palms as she entered the funeral home. 

Thank you. I missed the funeral sign. Lena still could have done it or maybe Ray did kill Sam (looking at the scene again: Ray arrived at the apartment wearing black gloves and looked a little distraught when he got to his car) or maybe he told her to hang herself when she asked "what is it you want.. tell me anything". Why did the writers decide to leave this a mystery?

The FBI agent told Terry that the guard didn't die, but he was severely concussed.

Thanks again. Did Bunchy hit him with a plastic hammer? That man can't do anything right.

Also, I hope Mickey goes back to jail for good.

Edited by mxc90
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

THIS. SHOW.

Geez, I wonder if Abby had ever helped Ray and the boys bury some cops they'd killed? Nah, Bridget didn't get that "strength" from her mommy. Those are the Donovan genes.

Did Sam seriously think she could just say she was sorry after what she did to Bridget? Girl, bye.

Wonder if they knew the show was getting renewed when this episode was filmed? I think it could've been the show finale.

I'm going to call this the best episode of Ray Donovan ever. Ray (with an assist from Lena)  kicked all the ass and took all the names. Except for the mayor's, anyway.

Sandy's shrubs are so high the neighbors can't see what's going on?

Yes, and apparently they block sound and smells too. Yikes.

When Ray and her were talking, I thought they were going get into bed.

She almost got his daughter raped and killed. Ray's bad off mentally but likely not that bad. Not unless he was going to kill her in bed.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, WaltersHair said:

I wasn't sure Ray killed Sam until I saw her hanging. Isn't that the exact way he dispatched the movie mogul at the end of last season?

I didn't remember that. I thought she was killed by hanging b/c that is how Sam's new Ray killed Lena's girlfriend. 

Here's a question - there was a woman outside Sam's apartment. We saw her several times. I expected her to have some role in some of the goings on, even if it's just to tell Ray/Lena what she saw. So, if not for that, why was she there? Why was she watching them? 

• Love 4

Well, I studied James Joyce in college, so any mention of his work gets a shoutout from me.  Plus, the ending of The Dead fits well with the montage of the living and the dead, though that stuff hanging on Ray's face sure wasn't snow.

Like everyone else, I am mystified that folks in Queens are upset about their neighbor running a chainsaw all night, and floodlights in the backyard, too.  

I hope this show returns to LA next season.  NYC is just not the place for it.  I was constantly amazed how these family members knew spots all over the five boroughs (meet me on Constance St.), having not lived there previously.  Anyone I've met from the City knows their neighborhood, maybe their borough, but are lost like any other person elsewhere.

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, crookedjackson44 said:

I hope this show returns to LA next season.  NYC is just not the place for it.  I was constantly amazed how these family members knew spots all over the five boroughs (meet me on Constance St.), having not lived there previously.  Anyone I've met from the City knows their neighborhood, maybe their borough, but are lost like any other person elsewhere.

My sentiments exactly and one of my biggest pet peeves. I was born there and lived there for more than 50 years. Once you leave your neighborhood, especially Staten Island, for parts unknown you are at the mercy of maps or asking directions, etc. Also, it seems that Ray never had to look for a parking spot while driving in Manhattan, which is a near impossibility.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, crookedjackson44 said:

Like everyone else, I am mystified that folks in Queens are upset about their neighbor running a chainsaw all night, and floodlights in the backyard, too.

Not to mention that Queens magically changed to Long Island while the family was chopping off heads and burying bodies together.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, preeya said:

On a scale of 1 to 10, I give the finale and the season a weak 4.

They should all move back to SoCal.

California is boring.  I hope they spend their last season in their home town Boston. 

• Love 4

The first 5-10 minutes were laugh out loud funny, and it's great that it isn't clear whether that was the writers' intent. 

On some level, I really respect writers who deliberately decide to abandon any effort at continuity, whether it be continuity of character (Bridget!?) geography, or events, along with completely ignoring any elements of how the world operates (will somebody on this show ever stage a murder as a suicide in a hotel or high end condo building with  security cameras?) or logic itself (if they have the time to dismember bodies.and the ability to dispose some parts at sea, why are they burying any parts in a backyard?), and just move from scene to scene, writing whatever they want. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, preeya said:

Also, it seems that Ray never had to look for a parking spot while driving in Manhattan, which is a near impossibility.

I always felt the same way about the access to easy parking for anything being filmed in San Francisco.  

• Love 3
On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 12:30 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Bridget to casually serve sandwiches and offer to use the chainsaw to keep cutting up bodies

These Donovans are amateurs!  If they were professionals they would be wearing hazmat suits and adhering to bloodborne pathogen regulations!!  Or at least take a lesson from Dexter and lay plastic down first.  Sheesh!

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

Given that Sam's betrayal could have resulted in Bridget's death, I thought Ray killed Sam, then took the muscle and called Lena so she could hang him. I also thought Lena was going into the funeral home to see her friend and not Sam's building.

I thought Sam killed herself. 

5 hours ago, preeya said:

On a scale of 1 to 10, I give the finale and the season a weak 4.

They should all move back to SoCal.

I am always critical of the season as it rolls along week to week.... but after the finale I am very said it ended. It's like an old friend who you never totally liked but am sorry to see move away because you will really miss them for a variety of reasons.  

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, crookedjackson44 said:

Also, I don't recall anyone telling Ray that his daughter had just married Smitty Donovan.  Or did I miss it?

I didn’t hear anyone tell Ray about the marriage either. There’s a lot that happened at Sandy’s House that people didn’t tell Ray about. I don’t think he needed details and understood the jest. I did think that a daughter would love to share her happy news with her Dad, so I’m sorry we never got a small tender moment out of that. 

• Love 1

Not to mention that Queens magically changed to Long Island while the family was chopping off heads and burying bodies together.

Queens is on Long Island so I am not sure what the inconsistency is unless I missed something.

1 hour ago, DakotaLavender said:

I thought Sam killed herself. 

I assume Ray did it.  How would she get all the way up there on her own?  I guess the ladder could have fallen but I don’t see Sam as someone to kill herself.

• Love 1

As Bannon mentioned above... where were the security cameras in the building & parking garage? Sam has a private elevator but there should have been cameras in there too. Can Ray really have taken the thug out of the building without being seen/filmed? 

Edited by HollyG
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Dminches said:

Queens is on Long Island so I am not sure what the inconsistency is unless I missed something.

Brooklyn and Queens are on the physical Long Island, but they are boroughs of New York City. Nassau and Suffolk County make up what everyone refers to as "Long Island." Nobody uses Queens and Long Island interchangeably. 

• Love 1

Brooklyn and Queens are on the physical Long Island, but they are boroughs of New York City. Nassau and Suffolk County make up what everyone refers to as "Long Island." Nobody uses Queens and Long Island interchangeably. 

I grew up on Long Island in Nassau County so I know the terrain.  For people (The Donovans for instance) who didn't grow up there they may not know the distinction between the different counties and boroughs.  As I said in my post I may have missed the specific reference to Long Island and Queens.  Frankly, my recollection is that the first time they discussed where the Sandy lived they said Long Island.  When did they start saying Queens?

10 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

When did they reference Queens?  The first time Mickey showed up at Sandy’s during episode 3 Mickey says “here we are, Long Island.”

2 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

I was born in Brooklyn, grew up on LI and live in Queens so I think I can speak to the subject matter. Even though they kept referring to Sandy's place as being on Long Island, the map they showed revealed she was actually somewhere in Queens county. 

This was one of my least favorite episodes of the entire season. I found it very tedious to get through and Bridget's complete 180 was jarring. 

• Love 1

I was skeptical about the move to NYC but by episode 2 I was excited and pleased by it.  The show had lost it's way since season 1.  Everyone was a bunch of sad sacks damaged beyond repair who made the show tedious to watch.  I call it Party of Five syndrome where you weigh everyone down with so many problems that the show just becomes too unwieldy and just too plain dreary to watch.  You actively rooted for characters to just be put out of their misery.

Moving to NYC was a nice reset.  Mac was a great addition who filled the badly needed void created by the departure of Ezra.  The friend who would give a little bit of stability and empathy for Ray.  And he filled the role of Ari as the sidekick.  He was trouble but not Armenian mob raining down hell trouble.  He even had some friends in a Staten Island bar to hang out with.  Back to the old show where it was a guy doing a dirty job but still tried imperfectly to maintain a normal respectable family and life.

Terry no longer had the shakes and had his gym again.  No longer a miserable sack you were kinda waiting to just drop dead.

Yeah Bunch was still a sad sack.   But hey he had some good road hijinx with his dad.

And the Bridget/Connor story lines I thought would bring in a very needed plot line and realization for Ray.  That he has hurt his children and brought them pain through his own shady dealings just as his dad did with his children.  And maybe it was time to not only forgive his dad but stopping repeating some of his dad's worst mistakes.

Bridget of course still has her type.  A drug dealer and/or sexual predator.  But hey, everyone has a type.  And at least Ray seemed smart enough to know it was counterproductive to get in the way this time.

Maybe this was a show that could reset itself and stabilize itself.  Jettisoning a lot of it's old baggage and starting over again in NYC with a less dramatic but still interesting storyline centered around the Mayor's race.  Less is often more.

And then the show went off the deep end in the last few episodes and proved me very very wrong.  Everyone is even more miserable and depressed.  Again I find myself cheering for Bunchy and Terry to die whenever they are in danger because they just seemed way too damaged to go on.

And poor Smitty.  The kid thought,  "Hey.  This girl seems sweet.  A respectable clean cut girl who I should clean up for.  She doesn't deserve to be around all the stupid dangers a low level drug dealer is exposed to. "  Sorry kid.  You were conned.  Or should i say "Donovan'd."  I know she is pretty hot.  Looks remarkably like this girl who guest starred on Mad Men.  Kerris Dorsey I think.  But you just saw her and two generations of her family murder a bunch of cops and saw off their heads.  You saw her personally chopping off a human head with a chainsaw.  Run.  No I mean it.  RUN!!!!!!!

And one last thing.  How many clients are actually better off after hiring Ray?  I know there are some.  But there are enough who end up strung up in their apartments hanging lifelessly that I would honestly recommend any person looking for a fixer to just hire someone else.

Edited by Taget
  • Love 2

Was wondering that since now all the copkiller-fugitive-felon family members are under one roof, with no cash, can't get jobs, won't another slew of new robberies and kidnappings occur?  

Also, do you think the 3 million in cash was still in Sam's apartment, and Ray now has that?  

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Rahul said:

I was born in Brooklyn, grew up on LI and live in Queens so I think I can speak to the subject matter. Even though they kept referring to Sandy's place as being on Long Island, the map they showed revealed she was actually somewhere in Queens county. 

This was one of my least favorite episodes of the entire season. I found it very tedious to get through and Bridget's complete 180 was jarring. 

3 episodes ago she was saying "how far away do I have to move to get away from this."  Then, after being kidnapped and beaten up she is ok cutting off the head of a corpse?  I agree it is not believable.  I am fine when aspects of the story line are a bit of a stretch.  I do not like when a character's action completely contradict their personalities.

7 hours ago, CallMeRay said:

Also, do you think the 3 million in cash was still in Sam's apartment, and Ray now has that?  

Sam had to pay that back so I assume she did.

• Love 1
On 1/13/2019 at 11:21 AM, TexasGal said:

I was surprised to see Sam in the end.  I fell for the misdirection when it was only blond thug in his trunk.

Pretty sure it was Ray who killed Sam. He pulled off latex gloves in his car after he left her apartment. Moreover he would want to be the one to do it.  He did it the same way he killed the guy last season and with a nod to Lena's girlfriend.   Lena went back to the funeral home presumably to tell her dead girlfriend she made it happen that her killer is no longer.   

My favourite characters this season,  Aunt Sandy,  Mac and Dr Aiyot - all of them scene stealers and just fantastic.  Alda is so good, he's seamless.  I'm sorry that we only get one season of Dommick Lombardozzi.  he was brilliant as the conflicted cop in way too deep. 

On 1/14/2019 at 6:59 PM, Jelly Ree said:

So, the sniffer dogs would get a whiff of dead raccoon and just think, "Nothing suspicious here."?

To me it is a throw away, the Donovans don't give a shit when it comes to somebody putting hands on their family, they just clear up the mess where they can and the rest is the fate of the dead.   

Edited by LoveDance
  • Love 1

I enjoyed this ep more than the entire rest of the season. Finally we’re at least back to Ray taking fucking names and getting it done. Yes he was all kinds of messed up but he knew his mission and he settled his scores Ray Donavan style. Seeing Sam hanging was some satisfying tv and letting Lena take out the rat bastard that killed her girlfriend was aces! I was a bit perplexed that Bridget all of a sudden became Dexter but whatevs, at least it’s better than sniveling in a corner (yes I’m looking at you useless boyfriend whatever his name is). I like watching the Donavan’s band together with a common purpose and Aunt Sandy is my new spirit animal. I hope we can get back to Ray the fixer vs Ray the mental patient. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, sadie said:

I hope we can get back to Ray the fixer vs Ray the mental patient.

Yes, although I would love to see (watch) the Donovans go through family therapy.  Now THAT would be a cluster yet highly entertaining...

Edited by roughing it
  • Love 3
On 1/14/2019 at 10:01 PM, Rahul said:

You had to ignore the locations or you couldn’t focus.  How annoying was it that they decided to get married, went from LI or queens to City Hall in downtown Manhattan, got married, went back to Queens or Long Island and it was still daylight.  

On 1/17/2019 at 7:54 AM, sadie said:

I was a bit perplexed that Bridget all of a sudden became Dexter but whatevs, at least it’s better than sniveling in a corner (yes I’m looking at you useless boyfriend whatever his name is). I like watching the Donavan’s band together with a common purpose and Aunt Sandy is my new spirit animal. I hope we can get back to Ray the fixer vs Ray the mental patient. 

I was a bit perplexed too. Those scenes were more befitting of the Gallaghers of Shameless. And so was Aunt Sandy, but I agree she was one of the best characters of the season. Poor Smitty Donovan had no idea what he was getting himself into. 

• Love 2
On 1/17/2019 at 1:32 PM, roughing it said:

Yes, although I would love to see (watch) the Donovans go through family therapy.  Now THAT would be a cluster yet highly entertaining...

I addressed this very thing in a post about Episode 11. The Donovan family, including a dishonorably discharged Connor, go to family counseling with Dr. Hawkeye and it ends in a brawl over whose egg salad recipe better, Abby’s or Mrs. Hawkeye’s.

• Love 3

Loved every minute of it (except that interminable recap intro).

Watching the corpse dismembering shenanigans is the hardest I've laughed at this show since the piss jars back in season 4. Sandy is the absolute fucking best, she better be back next season. For all of you folks still snarking over this show - it's SO much more enjoyable when you're half in the bag. That's the kind of show this is.

On a more serious note I thought Jon Voight gave a fantastic performance. He actually made me feel something for Mickey. Lying or not he loves his family in his own way. What a character.

• Love 1

Late to the game. Truly missed Avi this season but a solid 7/10 season. And living in NY I can tell you that there is NO WAY that they could just pull up in front of wherever they were going. See you all next season.