Type keyword(s) to search

Family By The Ton - General Discussion

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, MsVixen said:

Have they said how old Casey is?

I think he is 32-34, somewhere in that range.

1 minute ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Is it so wrong that I want to smack Casey upside the head with a 2by4?

I am much more evil.  I want to leave him all alone for a month without a car, TV or internet and emergency-only phone with bags full of raw vegetables and freezer full of raw meat as his only food options for that month!

• Love 16

Remember Casey also give's his father orders on exactly what to go and get him from fast food places too.  I don't think a 2 x 4 is strong enough, maybe an authentic Louisville Slugger?  

I hate that they're having cliff hangers again this week.    It's obvious that they're going to do that, and I'm not happy.    I would watch without the manufactured drama.     

Casey needs to realize that he has to do the work to lose the weight, and having his mother plan it for him won't do it.     Who are some of those other relatives that are so big?    The entire family needs to get with the program, and maybe get a group discount.  

I hate that they leave us on the hook for Amanda going to the ER.     However, the cheating by Ed and Casey should be fun.     I hope Amanda embraces the process, loses a lot of weight, and becomes the healthy, active person she wants to be.      

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5

Please at least make an attempt to act like a grownup Casey. Arguing with your mom about video games? Really?

I wonder when was the last time he got laid? Ever? But, since he's sitting around nekkid all day playing video games, maybe he could take a break and "man-pleasure" himself but it would probably take too much work for him to find his "little friend."  I know, I know, I'll see myself out..................

• Love 17

Lord have mercy, do any of these obesees do anything without an entourage? It's one thing to have your parents there, but the grandma and aunts? My 600 lb life is full of entourages - and usually most of them (except for the mandatory skinny husband) could use the surgery as well, just like w/this family.

• Love 15
10 minutes ago, MsVixen said:

35 I think?

8 minutes ago, Hellga said:

I am lucky I didn't lose power after Sandy, some people at work went for as long as two weeks without power...

My power started flickering in the late afternoon and went out for good sometime between 7 and 8pm. My parents got theirs back on Friday and I got mine on Saturday. (I lasted until Wednesday in my condo before I got too cold and went to my parents' house (where they have a fireplace, a grill, and the aforementioned oil lamp; we also played Scrabble by it).) I was also out of work for a few days; one of them because the state commandeered their generator fuel (then the next day my boss had only the absolutely necessary people come in to save power and I wasn't one of them). (My best friend was out of her house for 7 months and is still dealing with issues.)

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, aliya said:

Lord have mercy, do any of these obesees do anything without an entourage? It's one thing to have your parents there, but the grandma and aunts? My 600 lb life is full of entourages - and usually most of them (except for the mandatory skinny husband) could use the surgery as well, just like w/this family.

Right?  And doesn't the surgery take like 10 hours?  I understand wanting to be there for your relative, but that is a long time to sit in a waiting room while the person is unconscious anyway. 

• Love 3
Just now, 88Keys said:

Right?  And doesn't the surgery take like 10 hours?  I understand wanting to be there for your relative, but that is a long time to sit in a waiting room while the person is unconscious anyway. 

I think most of the people are there not for the person undergoing surgery, but for one another (or specifically for the closest person(s) to the patient - spouses, children, parents - who are understandably nervous wrecks and want to be right there in case things go wrong.  There is also a bit of completely irrational "magical" thinking...  that if you do X, then things will go right.  

• Love 3
Just now, Emkat said:

Casey is a grown-up Eric Cartman come to life. 

I swear he looked familiar to me and I couldn't place it but I am pretty sure you just nailed it. That is who he reminded me of all along. Only Cartman has more personality, lol. 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, LizzyB said:

No surgery yet for Amy.  And yes, she is still mobile, working, etc.--not a 600-pounder!

She weighed almost 400 pounds, though! We're so jaded--"375 pounds? She's a stick!" LOL

11 hours ago, Hellga said:

And I don't believe he is playing 6 hours a day.  I think it's more like 16.  He is just in bed all day doing nothing else!  Maybe chats online a bit but what more?

I will bet a shiny quarter that that man child spends hours and hours trolling. He's so rage-filled and angry. He probably loves shit stirring and getting people's hackles up.

And seriously, I know gamers. Lots of gamers. They game a lot but have jobs, friends, plans for the future, and normal lives. Casey is full of shit. Did you see that shot of him waking up? His eyes were barely open and he reached over for his controller. Like a smoker going for that first cigarette of the day. He games all day, every day.

11 hours ago, MsVixen said:

He is 34 years old! He acts like a sulky teenager.

10 hours ago, 88Keys said:

They want to be on TV.

I don't get it either. But it must make a change for them, right? They just sit around stuffing food down their gullets all day in their depressing homes. A hospital waiting room is a change of scenery and maybe there's something good in the cafeteria.

Edited by Pepper Mostly
  • Love 8

There are video games that people have to be active for. Why not exercise and play video games at the same time? Even just walking around during slower portions of the game/cutscenes where you don't have to focus as much, especially if the controller is wireless. There are ways to exercise if the typical ways aren't interesting. There are apps that make exercising like a video game too. You level up skills by doing them, or something like Pokemon Go. There's even a running app where you run from zombies. Nobody ever comes up with creative solutions with these shows. If someone doesn't like something, why not combine it with what they do? I'm pretty sure that's the exact reason why they opened a superhero gym here.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Hellga said:

And doesn't the surgery take like 10 hours?  I understand wanting to be there for your relative, but that is a long time to sit in a waiting room while the person is unconscious anyway. 

I had a question about the waiting room;  if I recall correctly, they showed everyone in the waiting room including Amanda, then they came and took her back for the surgery.  It seemed to me more like the way they handle out patient surgeries than the type of surgery that lasts several hours and requires a couple of days to recover in the hospital.  I would have thought she would be admitted the night before the surgery.   I hope everyone who wants the surgery gets it and does well.   I had a friend who had this done about 10 years ago, but she has several very large family members so she gained it back because she gave up eating differently to keep the weight off.  I admire the wife in this family who has kept from regaining. 

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, Twopper said:

I had a question about the waiting room;  if I recall correctly, they showed everyone in the waiting room including Amanda, then they came and took her back for the surgery.  It seemed to me more like the way they handle out patient surgeries than the type of surgery that lasts several hours and requires a couple of days to recover in the hospital.  I would have thought she would be admitted the night before the surgery.   I hope everyone who wants the surgery gets it and does well.   I had a friend who had this done about 10 years ago, but she has several very large family members so she gained it back because she gave up eating differently to keep the weight off.  I admire the wife in this family who has kept from regaining. 

Almost every person I know that had the surgery has gained their weight back, or at least are not at a healthy weight now.  It's sad.  They thought it was a magic pill and would cure everything.  My friend's Mom had the surgery and sat at Bob Evans eating a spoon of gravy every 15 minutes until she stretched her stomach back out.  She seriously only ended up losing like 20 pounds and then promptly gained it back.  She passed away when my friend was 8 months pregnant with her first child a year after her surgery.  

I just can't with the man child.  He is emotionally stuck as a 12 year old because everyone treats him like a 12 year old.

• Love 8

I think a lot of these surgical centers have you come a few hours before surgery.      The days of the check in the night before surgery has gone, and you're out the second the insurance company says they'll stop paying.    

I admire Ed's wife so much for losing, and keeping the weight off. and that she hasn't shoved a pillow over Ed's face when he's asleep.      I wonder what she thought when she heard what Ed the Weasel said about her weight loss on the first couple of episodes?      His nice words to the doctor about her on last night's episode won't be enough when she sees what he said before.   I hope what they said about the kids weight gets through to her, because Ed may say he's concerned, but he won't carry through.     I hope the wife will take it to heart that she needs to change the house to healthy eating habits for everyone.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5

Losing 11 pounds was a joke when you weigh 720 pounds, Dr. Now would have said so you cut back from 10000 calories a day to 9000? It's like if I was excited because I lost an ounce. He is the most unpleasant "person" but also so completely ignorant. He has no clue and blames everyone else. The best thing Proctor said was "you are scared of surgery but you don't seem scared enough about being 700 pounds". ha ha ha ha.  If he hates doctors and hospitals so much, well this is his future. I don't think we have seen someone this unlikable in some time. Giant waste of space.

• Love 13
20 hours ago, aliya said:

My 600 lb life is full of entourages - and usually most of them (except for the mandatory skinny husband) could use the surgery as well, just like w/this family.

Did you say "Jack Sprat" too, last night?

Casey, the video games are at fault, because you lie in bed immobile while you're playing them.  And I'd bet it's more like 9 or 12 hours a day, not 6.
Maybe he'll swim if mom has a pool, and burn a few calories.
And why wasn't mom or dad or the doctor saying that word, "job?"

• Love 5

I missed the first few episodes but I like Amy, she dresses nice and takes care of herself. Casey blaming his parents and yelling at them in public (or anywhere) is just awful. FFS Casey likely all you do is play video games. I hope his mom smashes them like the bratty man child he is.

• Love 3

I don't think blaming video games is very helpful. There's still a significant stigma against adults playing them and attacking someone's hobby will just put them on the defensive. Suggesting new hobbies would make a lot more sense. Active video games, even larping. It's basically playing out a video game in real life with other people. Or a sport that relates to preexisting interests. Not everyone like exercise, but trying it to something they like without attacking their interests for no reason would help.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, auntjess said:

And why wasn't mom or dad or the doctor saying that word, "job?"

Who would hire someone with no skills, an extremely unlikeable AND confrontational personality and a ton of health issues?  I wouldn't.  It's something he should aspire to, but not his immediate future.

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, Hellga said:

Who would hire someone with no skills, an extremely unlikeable AND confrontational personality and a ton of health issues?  I wouldn't.  It's something he should aspire to, but not his immediate future.

Very true. Sadly, he is a huge liability to any company in his condition. I can say, especially seeing his attitude on the show, I would not hire that guy. Maybe he could find some kind of online work, I don't know though....

• Love 5

Casey, you’re right there is nothing wrong with playing video games. My 29 year old husband plays his PlayStation 4 everyday & so does a lot of his friends.

But unlike you Casey, My husband actually has a full time job, A Master’s degree, his own home/car. 

The fact that you are more offended over your mother hating your hours of playing video games then you are that you weigh over 600 pounds is concerning. Your priorities are shit. Grow up & stop acting like a 15 year old boy. You should be kissing your parents feet for even putting up with your crap,letting you live rent free,buying you food still as a 30+ year old,when by law they no longer were required to after you reached 18. 

• Love 18

I play video games myself (though my entertainment of choice is online communication - be it discussion boards, blogs, fanfiction sites, etc.) and I probably do spend a couple hours a day on them.  But it didn't interfere with my education or my career.  And while my home is messier than it could be (or should be) it's not because I play video games, it's because it's hard for me to do anything that is "boring" when there are other alternatives.  In Casey's case (ahem) games are not the cause, they are a symptom of his overall problem - that he doesn't want to grow up and take full responsibility for his life.  Take away games and internet and he will just watch TV, take that away - he will just stare at a wall but he will not turn himself around until the underlying issues are addressed.  But the underlying issues cannot be addressed until he wants to do something about it = and so far he doesn't, he wants a magic wand to take away his fat and thinks that everything else will magically follow.

I had that same thinking when I was 16-17-20 - I will move and life will magically change (because my life was shaping up too boring and predictable, good, but not exciting).  Nope, my life is just as boring and mundane today as it would have been had I stayed in the city of my birth.  It's not about where you are, it's about who you are.  If Casey did get a magic wand and became a svelte 200 pounds of pure muscle - he would still be a useless man baby and he would just gain it all back in a couple years, all the while complaining about the world not appreciating him properly.  

PS  My favorite cousin loved video games all his life.  That didn't stop him from going to medical school or maintaining a job, but it was a contributing factor to the breakup of his first marriage.  However, now that he is remarried and has two young kids, he is playing WAY less than he did before he had kids.  Not because he is doing more work or doing more around the house, though - mainly because  he is playing with actual toys with his kids on the floor. :) 

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 11

Oh dear god.  I just watched this show for the first time. Casey needs to be smacked. I didn’t think I could be more disgusted with someone than Whitney Thore. Obnoxious thy name is Casey. Maybe these to narcissistic, lazy twits should get married, eat themselves into oblivion, and leave the rest of us alone. 

• Love 11
4 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

Oh dear god.  I just watched this show for the first time. Casey needs to be smacked. I didn’t think I could be more disgusted with someone than Whitney Thore. Obnoxious thy name is Casey. Maybe these to narcissistic, lazy twits should get married, eat themselves into oblivion, and leave the rest of us alone. 

I have to disagree with you a little bit. At least Whitney does something....she may do it half a**ed  but she does not play video games all day and night. I am not sure if getting drunk and groping everyone in sight is better but at least she is moving.

• Love 5
On 1/16/2019 at 7:11 PM, Hannah94 said:

This idiot is so jerktastic. "Today I had a cheeseburger and tater tots for lunch". Stop wasting the doctor's time; you are not serious about this at all!

But it was a "small" serving of tater tots.

• Love 3
On 1/16/2019 at 10:01 PM, 88Keys said:

'Cause it was killing me, I had to look it up. The Cleveland Clinic says their gastric sleeve surgery takes 1-2 hours. 10 hours on the table, under anesthesia, is a LONG time. If you recall, one reason Dr Now does the sleeve is because the patient is on the table for less time because they can't deal with a long time on anesthesia. 

• Love 7

I am torn between wanting to continue to snark on Casey through the season and wanting to believe he is taking it seriously and can truly turn himself around.  I guess I will take it one episode at a time!

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 3
On 1/18/2019 at 5:17 PM, 3girlsforus said:

They're about the same age, she's a few years older, but I think that's a good idea, because she's been on the prowl for someone for quite a while.

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, auntjess said:

They're about the same age, she's a few years older, but I think that's a good idea, because she's been on the prowl for someone for quite a while.

Do they even make beds that could support over a ton of weight? 

Speaking of which... A good quality mattress is supposed to last for 8-10 years under normal use scenario.  If we have people who weigh three to four times as much as an average person, and  who spend 24 hours in bed instead of the usual 8 or so - how often would 600+ pound, bed-bound or nearly bed-bound people have to change their mattresses?  

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, Hellga said:

Do they even make beds that could support over a ton of weight? 

I think you'd need 2 queen beds pushed together, because the spread as well as the weight needs to be considered.

• Love 2

As much as I can't stand Whitney, I don't think you can put her in the same category as Casey. At least Whitney gets up and moves. Casey sits around all day like a big, fleshy food processor. I really wanted to slap him when he asked, "Who exercises six hours a day?" Well, fitness instructors, Olympic athletes, marathon runners, trail hikers and professional football players, just to name a few.

• Love 8
On 1/16/2019 at 11:09 PM, Hellga said:

I think most of the people are there not for the person undergoing surgery, but for one another (or specifically for the closest person(s) to the patient - spouses, children, parents - who are understandably nervous wrecks and want to be right there in case things go wrong.  There is also a bit of completely irrational "magical" thinking...  that if you do X, then things will go right.  

I also wonder if there are more family members waiting since the show's "Family by the Ton".  Having those people there underscores the "family" aspect, plus they may be getting paid to be there if they're on camera.

On 1/21/2019 at 10:30 AM, mmecorday said:

As much as I can't stand Whitney, I don't think you can put her in the same category as Casey. At least Whitney gets up and moves. Casey sits around all day like a big, fleshy food processor. I really wanted to slap him when he asked, "Who exercises six hours a day?" Well, fitness instructors, Olympic athletes, marathon runners, trail hikers and professional football players, just to name a few.

Not to mention that because he wouldn't want to exercise 6 hours a day, that's no excuse not to exercise ever at all.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, readheaded said:

Not to mention that because he wouldn't want to exercise 6 hours a day, that's no excuse not to exercise ever at all.

Side rant here...I hate it when advice is given to overweight people who don't exercise at all, about how important it is to exercise every day for at least 30 minutes.  How about instead encouraging gradual increases, so they don't view their once/twice a week for 15 minutes start at exercising as a failure, and then quit exercising entirely (as their dieting experience has probably reinforced).

• Love 7
49 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

Side rant here...I hate it when advice is given to overweight people who don't exercise at all, about how important it is to exercise every day for at least 30 minutes.  How about instead encouraging gradual increases, so they don't view their once/twice a week for 15 minutes start at exercising as a failure, and then quit exercising entirely (as their dieting experience has probably reinforced).

Agreed, especially for people who haven't exercised in a long time or ever.  If you're 600 lbs, even if you just got up and walked to the mailbox everyday, that's a big improvement.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, cmpbl said:

I'm surprised Casey can sit like that

I am not sure what Casey is doing qualifies as "sitting".  Being draped over a chair is more like it.

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 5