Type keyword(s) to search

Family By The Ton - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, mmecorday said:

OK, did Ed and Casey actually "pig out" on burgers or did Ed just have one burger with him?

Ed said he only ate one

I guess Whitney's big fat fabulous life isn't so fabulous 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I suspect that when the kids leave the home in a few years, she might be going away too.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least!   Though their hand-holding in the car seemed genuine enough...  one can never know looking from the outside, especially looking at something edited on TV.

Damn, watching him on the operating table, Ed looks so much more huge without clothing. How much does Ed weigh? Sorry, I forgot.

Edited to correct: Doh! Meant to say Ed not Casey! Sorry, my bad. Let's face it, the chances of Casey getting WLS anytime soon are slim (pun intended) to none although stranger things have happened. 😕

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Clarifications.
  • Love 1

Sounds like Ed's whole family is eating better, that's good.  The girls (especially the younger one) definitely can use a better diet now to avoid being on one of these shows in 20 years!

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

And you would probably break your foot in half doing it anyway, so please don't even try, lol!

More like get it stuck in the folds of fat!   

It's all about the footwear anyway. ;)  Every proper lady needs a pair of steel-toe boots! 

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 5
On 1/20/2019 at 12:13 AM, Hellga said:

Do they even make beds that could support over a ton of weight? 

Speaking of which... A good quality mattress is supposed to last for 8-10 years under normal use scenario.  If we have people who weigh three to four times as much as an average person, and  who spend 24 hours in bed instead of the usual 8 or so - how often would 600+ pound, bed-bound or nearly bed-bound people have to change their mattresses?  

Wow, good question Hellga, although I am almost too scared to know the answer, heh heh maybe monthly? But really, the most important question is "Does their mattress make them look fat!?" 😅

• Love 11
4 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Wow, good question Hellga, although I am almost too scared to know the answer, heh heh maybe monthly? But really, the most important question is "Does their mattress make them look fat!?" 😅

- Honey, does this mattress make me look fat?

- No, fat makes you look fat! 

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

James K! I miss that fat blubbery whiney tub of lard. He was so entertaining and frustrating (or "flustrating" as Schenee would say).

• Love 7

Casey is just the mobile version of James "ow my legs" K.  Both are full of excuses about their massive weight and in denial about is as well.  He is a grown man with his parents as his babysitters.  He is very unlikeable. 

Edited by Swiss
  • Love 10
11 hours ago, CircusPeanuts said:

He was such a drama queen! Making faces about the few pills she needs to take. Give me a break. 

This is his future: medical procedures and medicine! And I live for the day this happens to him. He has so many gross things already in his life so like what is taking a few pills? Can he even wipe his own ass? Does he not have infections in his folds? All this stuff is right around the bend. 

• Love 7

Unfortunately for Casey, and Ed, they replayed the original James K yesterday, and the comparisons from those two to the big whiny baby James K are so easy to make.     

Due to issues, I didn't see the end, but I'm hoping this family story ends soon, and the family from last season followups start.     The first family was likeable, this one only has two members I care about, Amy and Amanda.  

My guess is Ed's hand holding in the car is part of his control issues, notice he's always the one hanging on her.    The wife's face when he was carrying on about the surgery risks, and having do a lot of medications, and eating habits for his post-surgery nutrition was very telling.    Either she has a very stoic on camera face, or she's totally over the big whiny baby she's been chained to, and I'm sure the stuff from filming came out too.      

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 8
13 hours ago, Hellga said:

Wow.  That's more makeup brushes than I have ever seen in one place.  Is she selling makeup?  

13 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I'm guessing Mary Kay rep., and with that quantity, maybe a distributor who supplies her sales force.    

Which probably also accounts for the country singer hair. Does she have a pink cadillac?

13 hours ago, CircusPeanuts said:

He was such a drama queen! Making faces about the few pills she needs to take. Give me a break. 

Jesus, right? He was whinging about taking a few vitamins? I take vitamins every day, including huge calcium pills. You'd think he was being told he'd have to chew off his own fingers. Its just a damn vitamin pill. God what a whiny titty baby.

12 hours ago, cmpbl said:

I guess Whitney's big fat fabulous life isn't so fabulous 

I thought the exact same thing. That show is criminally misnamed. there is nothing fabulous about that girl's sad, tawdry life.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, calpurnia99 said:

This is his future: medical procedures and medicine! And I live for the day this happens to him. He has so many gross things already in his life so like what is taking a few pills? Can he even wipe his own ass? Does he not have infections in his folds? All this stuff is right around the bend. 

Yep, if he doesn't lose the weight, in a few years he will be taking more meds than Amy is using now, and unlike her, he won't be able to stop them in couple weeks!

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Which probably also accounts for the country singer hair. Does she have a pink cadillac?

Given that she has a nice house, she must be doing rather well!  Good for her, I don't think it's an easy way to make a living. And she still seems to have time to watch what he is eating and make him get up and move. 

I wonder whether Casey would have turned out a better person if he did not have his pushover father to run to whenever his mom tried to set proper guardrails for his behavior...

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 6
23 minutes ago, auntjess said:

I'd never heard of this on any shows, and it would keep me from doing it.

I just looked up the guidelines out curiosity - shots are strongly recommended for those who are at high risk of developing blood clots, for those with moderate risk using compression devices (from compression stockings to a mechanical thing that does deep tissue massage on lower legs) and moving around may be sufficient.  Depends on many patient factors, so I would expect shots (there are several medication options) to be quite common, though not ubiquitous.   I think they only showed it here because of Casey's reaction to them, makes for a good TV. 

1 minute ago, raiderred1 said:

Do we know if Casey is an only child?

I do not recall him or anyone else ever mentioning siblings, and given the show's emphasis on "family", that would be strange if there weren't any, even if they declined to be filmed.  I think he is an only child. 

Besides, just imagine being a parent and having to deal with, clean up after, and feed not one but two or more people like him!

• Love 3
17 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Whoa, what did Amy say about getting shots in her stomach? BTW, this autocorrect totally SUCKS!!! 

My guess is it's a blood thinner. I recently was in the hospital overnight for observation. I was surprised that I got a heparin (blood thinner) shot because I was going to be in bed for several hours, to prevent clots. They typically give them in the stomach, although I can't remember exactly why. 

I like the two sisters. I hope they're doing well.

17 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Gee, can Casey possibly be any more sarcastic? Please just STFU!

What an entitled man-baby. Both of his parents should kick him to the curb and let him fend for himself. The problem isn't the video games, per se, I agree. The problem is that he should be bitch-slapped and forced to get a job and take care of himself, rather than expecting everyone else will do things for him.

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, DropTheSoap said:

They typically give them in the stomach, although I can't remember exactly why. 

The only appropriate sites for subcutaneous (under the skin) administration are back of the upper arms, stomach below the navel and front of the thighs.  If you are going to be doing it yourself, it leaves you stomach and thighs.   You have to rotate injection sites, so unless you have very large stomach, you are going to be using thighs too.  For Amy, it's probably a bit of a challenge to reach thighs, but her stomach is large enough where she can use it without going to the same spot for several days, if at all. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DropTheSoap said:

My guess is it's a blood thinner. I recently was in the hospital overnight for observation. I was surprised that I got a heparin (blood thinner) shot because I was going to be in bed for several hours, to prevent clots. They typically give them in the stomach, although I can't remember exactly why. 

I like the two sisters. I hope they're doing well.

What an entitled man-baby. Both of his parents should kick him to the curb and let him fend for himself. The problem isn't the video games, per se, I agree. The problem is that he should be bitch-slapped and forced to get a job and take care of himself, rather than expecting everyone else will do things for him.

Tee hee DropTheSoap me likey the bitch slap for Casey! 😆

giphy.gif.b1c764f5afe86e874f1e64fe78d51201.gif

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Typo.
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, auntjess said:

I'd never heard of this on any shows, and it would keep me from doing it.

I've had those stomach shots after every surgery and I will tell you that they do not hurt at all.  And I HATE needles!

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Globegrl said:

I've had those stomach shots after every surgery and I will tell you that they do not hurt at all.  And I HATE needles!

I don't usually hate needles, am OK with having blood drawn, used to get allergy shots, and have vaccinations.
But this somehow reminded me of getting a finger pricked, and I'd do a lot to avoid that.
They did that to me, as a you child, when I had my tonsils out, and somehow that terrifies me.

On 1/23/2019 at 10:48 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Yes, Ed's wife has WLS, lost 120 lbs, and kept it off. 

She looks like she weighs around 100 lbs. now, certainly not anywhere near 150.  So she had wls for 220-270 lbs?  I didn't know you could qualify for that small amount of weight.  And if she has been able to keep the weight off, considering the diet regime she has had to follow, I'm surprised she even wanted surgery--I wonder if she had seriously tried to lose weight on her own?

• Love 1
On 1/23/2019 at 9:33 PM, Hellga said:

Actually diagonal stripes probably are advisable for someone of her size/shape.  But yes, on TV they did not look so good. 

It looked to me like each side of the dress had diagonals in different directions, but I couldn't watch the dress in motion because I thought it might make me feel a tad sea sickish.  And then I was fixated on Michelle, the companion who came with her who looked like she was 350+ pounds.  No mention of her getting the surgery;  I know she isn't a relative, but she looks like a candidate, and it would be easy enough to add her into the bariatric mix.

I like Casey's mom as drill instructor.  Not sure how long Casey will last until he runs home to Daddy for better food service. 

I  cannot quite wrap my head around how people get to weight 600+ lbs ( or for that matter over 400 unless they are really tall).  I fluctuate between normal weight and about 50 pounds overweight depending upon my predisone intake and activity level.   But once I hit the 50 pound overweight  my body revolts, and I lose my appetite.  Also I feel very uncomfortable despite being able to do normal stuff.  I feel like my body would explode if I were 100 lbs overweight.    When I was growing up in the dark ages, we had about 75 kids in our class; there was one slightly plum boy and one fat girl; all of the rest of us were thin.  Today the boy would be considered normal and the girl would be considered plump.  I find the changes over the last 50 years so shocking.

I thought I was going to dislike Ed, but he seems ok.  And I am so glad that he lost weight and the younger daughter lost with him.  She could really loose another 10, but I think she will probably have a growth spurt soon that should thin her out;  I don't think the mom is going to let the family go back to bad habits.

• Love 4
On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 8:24 PM, DC Gal in VA said:

Did someone hand you gasoline soaked drawers for that? (mostly a lurker, but may have stolen a few)

• Love 2
On 1/24/2019 at 11:01 PM, Mothra said:

She looks like she weighs around 100 lbs. now, certainly not anywhere near 150.  So she had wls for 220-270 lbs?  I didn't know you could qualify for that small amount of weight.  And if she has been able to keep the weight off, considering the diet regime she has had to follow, I'm surprised she even wanted surgery--I wonder if she had seriously tried to lose weight on her own?

I am not so sure about how tall she is;  years ago when a friend had WLS the criteria her surgeon mentioned included BMI of a certain number (not sure what it was) which means if you are a short woman and weighed 250 --or even less--- you could qualify.  I noticed when she was shown seated she seems to still have large thighs for someone whose top half looks so small.    I don't know if that means she still has heavy legs or else she needed skin removal surgery on her thighs and never had it done.  She may just be one of those body types that carry their weight a lot more in their hips and thighs.  I hope none of the daughters develop an eating disorder from watching  almost every one in their immediate and extended family getting WLS.

Can we please only have head shots of Casey when he is seated?   I need both eye and brain bleach after every shot of him seated.   

I had this on my dvr and somehow I ended up watching the last two episodes in reverse order so if any of my comments make no sense that may be the reason.

Why did Amy seem so surprised that she was asked to lose weight first?     Don't these people watch other WLS programs?  The only thing I could think of was that she already weighed less than the maximum weight for the surgery so she thought she would be immediately approved. 

All these people seem to have almost equally obese friends; they need to rename this show "Friends and Family by the Ton." 

• Love 6
On 1/25/2019 at 2:35 PM, Twopper said:

It looked to me like each side of the dress had diagonals in different directions, but I couldn't watch the dress in motion because I thought it might make me feel a tad sea sickish. 

It did. And yes, at least on my screen it had the potential to induce a feeling of motion sickness (and trust me, I know motion sickness). It was kind of like looking at one of those optical illusions that make your eyes go kind of buggy.

12 hours ago, Twopper said:

She may just be one of those body types that carry their weight a lot more in their hips and thighs.  

Have they shown any before pictures of her? Some people are just built like that. I used to work with someone whose top and bottom halves were really out of proportion to each other. If you saw her just from above the waist, you'd be surprised to see how big her hips and thighs were. But that's just how she was built. (Buying pants must have been hell for her.)

• Love 1
On 1/24/2019 at 11:01 PM, Mothra said:

I think the world view of what women weigh is really squewed.  I lost about 65 pounds a couple of years ago and weigh 155.  At 5'8 I wear a size 6.  Granted I probably have 10 pounds worth of boobage, but it still shocks people what I weigh.  I had a guy actually ask me what I weighed at work.  After getting over the shock of it all I told him, and his exact words were "there's no way you weight that much.  You are skinny, not fat at all."

Aside from being ignorant enough to ask me, and rude enough to comment back like that, I've found that most people are like him.  I think we are conditioned to think that women who are thin weight 110-120, which might be the case if they are 5'2.

As for the WLS, I had a friend actually GAIN weight on purpose so she could get it.  I don't know if the guidelines have changed, but back then you had to be 100 pounds over a healthy weight for your height to qualify.  She was only 85 pounds over so she ate like no tomorrow to be able to get it.  That was back in the day when that Wilson Phillips chick was spouting it as the end all be all of weight loss and most thought it was just some magic pill.  Sadly she has had a lot of problems since then and regained all the weight + some friends.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Twopper said:

I am not so sure about how tall she is;  years ago when a friend had WLS the criteria her surgeon mentioned included BMI of a certain number (not sure what it was) which means if you are a short woman and weighed 250 --or even less--- you could qualify.  I noticed when she was shown seated she seems to still have large thighs for someone whose top half looks so small.    I don't know if that means she still has heavy legs or else she needed skin removal surgery on her thighs and never had it done.  She may just be one of those body types that carry their weight a lot more in their hips and thighs.  I hope none of the daughters develop an eating disorder from watching  almost every one in their immediate and extended family getting WLS.

Can we please only have head shots of Casey when he is seated?   I need both eye and brain bleach after every shot of him seated.  

I second your request of no low camera angles of Casey's very large fupa.  I also agree with your Friends and Family by the Ton, because there are a lot of very large people around them.

• Love 1

They showed a picture of Ed's wife, Francie, and she had a large middle, not just the same all over like a straight cylinder, so she's lost all over, but still has the saddlebags, and hips, and some stomach, but now she's a healthy weight.     Compared to the rest of the in-laws she looks tiny.      I really admire Francie, it must have been tremendously hard to have the surgery, and then follow the program her body requires since 2004 (I think that's when she said she had surgery), with so many people around who eat like the husband and in-laws do.

I can't believe they did the weigh in for Ed after the talk with Dr. Proctor.     I disagree with adorable Dr. Proctor, and think Ed is just trying for now, and won't be a success for long.     I don't see Ed as a poster child for weight loss, unlike Amy and Amanda are.       

Casey is such a whiner, and his comments about Amy with the shots, and vitamins is so ridiculous.      Casey really is looking for any excuse to back out of the surgery, and what do you want to bet his route to Amy's place is through a couple of drive thru windows?      

Why doesn't man-baby Casey jog in mommy's pool?    That would be great exercise, no load on his joints, and it would help him burn calories and build muscle.     I would be willing to contribute to a fund to pay the camera man to never show Casey from these low angles, and shirtless.    It's bad enough to hear his constant complaints.    I don't need to see him flapping his way to the pool.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Snarkastikate said:

Just watched  2 most recent episodes, and I'm confused, how exactly are these people related?  They don't seem to all be siblings.   Oy, Casey.  Zero ability to care for himself or God forbid ever earn a living.

Casey, I think, is an only child;  if he has any sibs, they have not been mentioned.  His parents are divorced.  He is a cousin of Amy.  Amy and Casey are cousins of Amanda who had the first surgery.  I guess Ed is also one of their cousins, although he seems older so maybe he is an uncle.   We have seen Amy's parents, but I have no idea which one of her parents are related to which one of Casey's.  Have no idea about Amanda's parents.   Also the grandmother showed up in the weighting room.   Dear heavens, I meant WAITING room!!!    I can't believe I know this; I need a life.

• Love 7
23 hours ago, kj4ever said:

I think the world view of what women weigh is really squewed.  I lost about 65 pounds a couple of years ago and weigh 155.  At 5'8 I wear a size 6.  Granted I probably have 10 pounds worth of boobage, but it still shocks people what I weigh.  I had a guy actually ask me what I weighed at work.  After getting over the shock of it all I told him, and his exact words were "there's no way you weight that much.  You are skinny, not fat at all."

I totally agree with you, and I think this misapprehension is at least partly behind the unwillingness of women to reveal their weight.  I'm 5'8" too and in my prime weighed 145.  Size 10--less boobage I suspect--and men were stunned that I weighed that much.  I was thin--absolutely flat belly, shapely arms and legs, the whole nine yards.  They expect any woman who is not overweight to clock in at 125, max 130.  Miss America has some blame in this game, too, but it's ridiculous that men think women weigh so little.

We are ashamed of our real weights, even when there's nothing to be embarrassed about.

• Love 5
31 minutes ago, Mothra said:

I totally agree with you, and I think this misapprehension is at least partly behind the unwillingness of women to reveal their weight.  I'm 5'8" too and in my prime weighed 145.  Size 10--less boobage I suspect--and men were stunned that I weighed that much.  I was thin--absolutely flat belly, shapely arms and legs, the whole nine yards.  They expect any woman who is not overweight to clock in at 125, max 130.  Miss America has some blame in this game, too, but it's ridiculous that men think women weigh so little.

We are ashamed of our real weights, even when there's nothing to be embarrassed about.

I have an ooooold pair of size 10's that are a little baggy on me.  Vanity sizing is real.  Most jeans now I buy a six, but I found a pair of Jordache!  jeans at Goodwill and they were also a 10 and were skin freakin' tight!

Triple D's here.  On top of people thinking I should weigh less they assume I have breast implants.  It'd be nice if people could just not worry about women's bodies.

• Love 9