Type keyword(s) to search

Spring Baking Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Cetacean said:

Her father is Chinese, her mother is Jewish.  She addresses recipes from both cultures on her show.  Her parents are really delightful people.

I must confess to only seeing her show a handful of times. Her dad is quite the musician. However, I wondered where she got her height. Her dad isn't tall.

• Useful 1
59 minutes ago, Frost said:

I am a Minnesotan and I have never heard of Cookie Salad.

I’m Minnesotan too and I have only heard of a cookie salad on shows like this. I have never tasted one or seen one in real life. 

• Love 6
14 hours ago, Cetacean said:

I don't consider it a baked dish.  I mean you bake the cookies but once they are crammed into the soft stuff they lose their crispness and taste.

Sounds like it’s sort of a big parfait? That’s just stupid for a baking competition and I already dread her OTT expressions as she introduces this. She does a “raises the shoulders” thing as she squees. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Sounds like it’s sort of a big parfait? That’s just stupid for a baking competition and I already dread her OTT expressions as she introduces this. She does a “raises the shoulders” thing as she squees. 

It has fudge striped cookies on it, think Keebler. Again, I'm sure it is a yummy treat but I just don't get it.  I guess they will bake the cookies. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 1

It sounds disgusting to me. The mandarin oranges finishes it off for me (from Wikipedia):

Cookie salad is a dessert salad from the U.S. states of Minnesota and North Dakota made with buttermilk, vanilla pudding, whipped cream, mandarin oranges, and fudge stripe shortbread cookies.[1][2][3] It is popular with children and for potlucks.[3] Berries can also be added.[3] The salad is also prepared in other areas of the Midwestern United States.[4]

• Love 6
34 minutes ago, Rammchick said:

Or perhaps a trifle?  I think they've made that on one of these shows before.

I guess we will see how creative they get. But if it is a trifle, call it one. Maybe it sounds to high brow and cookie salad sounds cutesy just like Molly is?

• Love 2

Trifle is different.  It has layers of sponge cake and is generally served in a clear bowl to show off the various layers.

Cookie salad has crumbled cookies mixed in at the last minute and cookies stuck into the top.  The name has nothing to do with Molly, there are tons of cookie salad recipes out there.  She has referenced it on her show as something that shows up at potlucks in her area (Fargo, ND) along with tater tot casserole.

With that said, neither smacks of baking in my opinion.

Edited by Cetacean
spelling counts
  • Love 5
24 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

Trifle is different.  It has layers of sponge cake and is generally served in a clear bowl to show off the various layers.

Cookie salad has crumbled cookies mixed in at the last minute and cookies stuck into the top.  The name has nothing to do with Molly, there are tons of cookie salad recipes out there.  She has referenced it on her show as something that shows up at potlucks in her area (Fargo, ND) along with tater tot casserole.

With that said, neither smacks of baking in my opinion.

I realize she didn't name it but it seems to fit in to the theme of this season. 

I really hope someone does something interesting with it. 

I wasn't really paying attention to who had how many ribbons, but felt bad for Kim not getting any before she was sent home. And I thought it was SUPER shitty of Molly to keep harping on about it. Molly: "You're the only one without a ribbon, Kim!" Kim, "Yeah, sigh, I know." Molly: "I mean, everyone has one! Everyone but you!" She was saying it in her perky chirpy Molly voice, but that didn't make it any less rude. I didn't expect Kim to make it to the end given the level of her competition, but I was hoping she would get a ribbon before she left just so that horrible conversation wouldn't be hanging over her head. Sorry Kim. 

• Love 9
3 hours ago, dleighg said:

It sounds disgusting to me. The mandarin oranges finishes it off for me (from Wikipedia):

Cookie salad is a dessert salad from the U.S. states of Minnesota and North Dakota made with buttermilk, vanilla pudding, whipped cream, mandarin oranges, and fudge stripe shortbread cookies.[1][2][3] It is popular with children and for potlucks.[3] Berries can also be added.[3] The salad is also prepared in other areas of the Midwestern United States.[4]

I concede that I have seem some (personally) revolting things served at Minnesota and North Dakota pot lucks and funerals such as ambrosia salad and green jello salad.  The Wiki entry can go soak it's head.   This reminds me of the New York Times "grape salad" fiasco.  I will watch with the sound turned down real low and try to mentally prepare myself for Molly to claim that cookie salad is a beloved Minnesota tradition.

• LOL 2
9 minutes ago, Frost said:

I concede that I have seem some (personally) revolting things served at Minnesota and North Dakota pot lucks and funerals such as ambrosia salad and green jello salad.  The Wiki entry can go soak it's head.   This reminds me of the New York Times "grape salad" fiasco.  I will watch with the sound turned down real low and try to mentally prepare myself for Molly to claim that cookie salad is a beloved Minnesota tradition.

Next will be a lutefisk flavored dessert! 

• LOL 13
On 3/29/2022 at 7:05 PM, MyMaui said:
  Reveal spoiler

I was hoping it was Tom going home.  I'm tired of him after this episode. Please take Molly with you when you leave.  I like Carolyn but what was with the 'can I taste it with you'.  Reminded me of Richard Blais from Top Chef.  They should have said no, you had time to taste it before you presented.  

I guess I am just over this season.  Molly's name added, Molly's farmhouse added, Molly's ribbons added. It is not Molly's show.  You ruined the Halloween Pumpkin Wars with this crap of hosting.  It didn't work.  

I want it to be baking championship with a host that is not front and center and the "star" of this show.  There should be no star of the show.  It should be a host with bakers.

If they want to do this then I will watch other shows.  I hope your ratings will reflect what people want and not what Food Network wants to do.

I so agree,  Molly just gets on my last nerve,  I have the show on while I do other things, like read the paper and clean.  I am not sure I care to continue to the end.  

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, Texasmom1970 said:

I am so awful when they are judging and some of the contestants are crying i get flustered. Me yelling at the tv there is no crying in a cooking competitions; just serve them the damn food.

You and me both!  I literally get irritated when people start crying on cooking/baking shows.  

• Love 5
On 3/30/2022 at 8:25 AM, marmalade said:

It seems more like Molly is not just a host but it is her show , and more than in name .

I mean, the changes this season reflect her personality (ribbons! chit-chat! silly challenges!) so it does seem like she had a lot of impact, to the show's detriment, IMO.  I'm not adverse to change, but it's just too much.

Do not like Tom.  He's leaning all the way into PERSONALITY!PLUS! and it's just irritating.

• Love 14
On 3/29/2022 at 10:28 AM, butterbody said:
On 3/28/2022 at 5:41 PM, GeorgiaRai said:

In the Cherry Blossom episode, I liked that Caroline asked to sample her own cheesecake! 

She ate her cake, too! I've never seen a baker ask to taste their stuff and I would wanna know, too!

Loved this. They should do this more often. Let the bakers taste what they made! Have a discussion about it! They're coming up with these creations on the fly and while they might have basic recipes they're working from that is very different than the challenge final product. There aren't many ways to taste in progress while baking. 

I wonder if they have historically gotten to taste it but the show didn't show that. 

Not to generalize, but bakers tend to be perfectionists and critical of their own work. I've certainly made things where everyone loved it but I thought it was dry and too sweet. 

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Refresh said:

They're coming up with these creations on the fly...

I seriously doubt that.  I think they are probably given a list of the themes ahead of time and they probably turn in a list of ingredients they will need.  Some of the stuff they use are unusual (got any yuzu in your pantry?)  and the kitchens would be unlikely to have every single item that might be needed.  At least that's how it's done on shows like GBBO.

The "add on" thing that they have to incorporate at the last minute is a surprise but the rest can't possibly be.  If you have never even heard of a Japanese cheesecake, it's highly unlikely you could successfully throw one together at the drop of a hat.  They have to have been warned.

• Love 12
13 hours ago, Refresh said:

They should do this more often. Let the bakers taste what they made! Have a discussion about it!

I would much prefer them spending time doing this than throwing in stupid, last minute twists.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Cetacean said:

I seriously doubt that.  I think they are probably given a list of the themes ahead of time and they probably turn in a list of ingredients they will need.  Some of the stuff they use are unusual (got any yuzu in your pantry?)  and the kitchens would be unlikely to have every single item that might be needed.  At least that's how it's done on shows like GBBO.

GBBO is much more civilized. They actually want bakers to do well. The gall!

I think the production is a bit different on these shows. FN has that huge studio and pantry. They feel vastly different to me. I don't know. On one hand, if they knew ahead of time wouldn't they do better? And if they don't know ahead of time, like you said, how on earth could someone just make a Japanese cheesecake for the first time without at least a basic ratio and instructions?

Fer damn sure none of these people has made cookie salad. It's cookies in pudding and whipped cream? Diplomat cream? I'm mildly embarassed for Diego and the French guy that they will have to make it. But as the saying goes, This is America. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
(edited)
2 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Is it me or do Diego and Justin look over this? 

Because they are “over” Molly - they don’t have stories that Molly latches on to.  I think Romy should have won the pre-heat.  

Molly, leave these people alone.  FFS

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 20
(edited)

The look on a couple of the baker's faces when Molly announced the Cookie Salad was exactly what I expected.    They hid their reaction fairly well, but two of the men looked nauseous.     Diego and Justin looked shocked.    I think the judges look a little shocked too.    

The cookie salads look icky, and soggy.  I'm sick of Molly, and I'm barely watching the episodes now.   If she comes back for another season, or on any of the other versions of the competition, I'm probably not going to watch.  

Tom's cookie salad didn't look good, but he won anyway.   So, Carolyn and Dennis are the bottom two.     Carolyn goes.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 16
Just now, CrazyInAlabama said:

The look on a couple of the baker's faces when Molly announced the Cookie Salad was exactly what I expected.    They hid their reaction fairly well, but two of the men looked nauseous.     Diego and Justin looked shocked.    I think the judges look a little shocked too.    

Kind of like, all this talent i have and I'm making something stupid on a baking competition.  

Imagine if Lorraine was there.

• LOL 6
  • Love 5

Cookie salad is not a thing!

Janky ass trifle, indeed.

Also “you’re doing something SAVORY when everyone else is doing something SWEET?” *GASP* was super annoying.

Carolyn and Dennis are two of the best bakers, and Carolyn getting bounced over a cookie salad (still not a thing!) is straight bullshit.

• Like 1
  • Love 19
2 minutes ago, Spicysweet said:

I used to really enjoy the Spring Baking Championship. However, this smiley, insipid "Cookie Salad!" host is making it nearly impossible for me to watch.

What a waste of good bakers.

It is a waste.  

1 minute ago, MerBearHou said:

Food Network has GOT to take Molly off of this show going forward.  She should never be a host of anything.

I was ready to throw something at the TV every time she shrieked cookie salad! 

• Love 13
5 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Thank God for the Julia Child Challenge! 

Julia saved American home cooks from ridiculous stuff like Jello salads and ambrosia (the closest thing to "cookie salad"). SO glad to be watching the JC show right now. It's a palate cleanser after the stupid Molly show. 

• Love 9
1 minute ago, Spicysweet said:

Julia saved American home cooks from ridiculous stuff like Jello salads and ambrosia (the closest thing to "cookie salad"). SO glad to be watching the JC show right now. It's a palate cleanser after the stupid Molly show. 

And not dumbed down. People can actually shine instead of making Molly's  cookie salad

• Love 7
On 3/22/2022 at 1:30 PM, Darian said:

Still hate that Molly's name is part of the show title, that it's her "barn,"

People keep saying her name has been added to the show but where?  My DVR still has it as Spring Baking Championship.

On 3/29/2022 at 5:33 PM, marmalade said:

I think  choosing Japanese cheesecake was a bit unfair to those who don’t know how to make it .  

Japanese cheesecakes/Japanese desserts are trendy right now.  I don't think it's unfair to ask bakers to make them.  Every season there are people who have never made something they're asked to make as part of a challenge.

I liked this challenge.  I've never had cookie salad but I've had similar.  These are the "salads" of my childhood. (Strawberry Pretzel salads are where it's at!) I thought it was funny that they were flabbergasted by something so simple and I don't get their snobbery towards them.  Diego didn't like the comparison to tiramisu but really--it's not that different.  The principles are the same.  Same with trifle. Or a parfait.

It's a traditional dessert for parts of the US.  The cookies require baking. I think it's appropriate for a challenge.

• Love 3
(edited)
37 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

People keep saying her name has been added to the show but where?  My DVR still has it as Spring Baking Championship.

FN's show logo says "Spring Baking Championship" and adds "with Molly Yeh" in smaller print below. 

Edited by emmawoodhouse
Clarity
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, butterbody said:

Ooohhhh Molly. This time you have gone too far. What kind of mean girls shit was that?

"Oh, was that timer for your bacon? Whoopsies" 

She is the worst. I can't imagine having to bake under strict time constraints while simultaneously fielding her inane questions. Who could concentrate with a manic preschool teacher in their face every five seconds?  Poor Carolyn.

• Love 19

I’m confused. Are you supposed to eat the cookie salad with a spoon or with your fingers like the judges were doing? What a gross soggy mess. 

• Love 5

I’ve never heard of Molly Yeh, so I wondered why some random host’s name was suddenly included in the show name. But I like her big toothy smile, it’s vivacious and friendly and lights up the room. And I find Nancy a hoot. Her obsession with alcohol in the baking is aspirational, heh.

The thing with these baking contests is that the showrunners seem to go out of their way to force the bakers to mix the most bizarre ingredients and flavours for the sake of a theme challenge. Although sometimes the bakers themselves go overboard too. I mean, I love a new twist on old things and unexpected flavours, but sometimes they throw so many things in one bake that I wonder if it’s just too much flavour, or conflicting flavours. 

And I wish these alleged professional bakers would stop saying expresso and macaroons. Gawd. How can you operate a bakery and not know the difference between macaroon and macaron? Morons.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

Japanese cheesecakes/Japanese desserts are trendy right now.  I don't think it's unfair to ask bakers to make them.  Every season there are people who have never made something they're asked to make as part of a challenge.

I liked this challenge.  I've never had cookie salad but I've had similar.  These are the "salads" of my childhood. (Strawberry Pretzel salads are where it's at!) I thought it was funny that they were flabbergasted by something so simple and I don't get their snobbery towards them.  Diego didn't like the comparison to tiramisu but really--it's not that different.  The principles are the same.  Same with trifle. Or a parfait.

It's a traditional dessert for parts of the US.  The cookies require baking. I think it's appropriate for a challenge.

The flavor profiles might be kind of the same, but the cookie salad shown by Cookie Salad Molly is a big ol' bowl of whipped cream and pudding with some cookies thrown in. Tiramisu and parfait have distinct and thinner layers, not just gobs and gobs of soft stuff. 

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, Maya said:

I’m confused. Are you supposed to eat the cookie salad with a spoon or with your fingers like the judges were doing? What a gross soggy mess. 

Spoon.  The cookies on top that the judges were eating with their fingers were largely decorative and likely were done to give the judges the ability isolate the component easily.

2 minutes ago, Spicysweet said:

The flavor profiles might be kind of the same, but the cookie salad shown by Cookie Salad Molly is a big ol' bowl of whipped cream and pudding with some cookies thrown in. Tiramisu and parfait have distinct and thinner layers, not just gobs and gobs of soft stuff. 

As soon as I put my spoon in a tiramisu or parfait, it gets mixed up too.  Cookie salad just saves you the step. ;) 

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

I'm happy for Sydney to win the Easter BC. But I didn't like how her basket was pure white. She needed some shading to give it depth.  

She has been my favorite.

• Love 4

I tried to watch again. I turned it off.

I can't stand her weird arm and hand gestures. I feel mean saying that, but I can't. I'm sure she's a nice person, but...no.

Props to the guy who said they don't have "cookie salads" (wtf) because they have real salads. 

Call me when literally anyone else is hosting.

• Love 17