Type keyword(s) to search

Kids Baking Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

54 minutes ago, snarkylady said:

Does anyone else see a similarity between Young Sheldon and Davis?  

They do seem to have some similarities!

16 hours ago, jcn35 said:

I agree with all of you that Jaxon was unlikeable in the last episode, but it seems that a lot of you are forgetting about the episodes before where Jaxon wasn't as bad.

I'm trying not to be harsh about him since he is so young, but I do hope that someone along the way will politely point out to him that it's rude to put your hand up to someone's face and shush them!  Maybe he'll get it after seeing Madison's THs on the matter!  I just love her.  

• Love 5

Kids learn from their parents, that's all I'm going to say about Jaxson.  I do have a feeling that the producers were encouraging bickering between the teammates, especially the boy/girl teams.  

I would have thrown something at the TV if Jenna had survived this round.   She should have been out episodes ago.   At first, I thought that with her being partnered with Davis, she would have had a chance to remain, but that frosting really sealed the deal.

Another thing that irked me was how several of the teams were trying to decorate their respective sides at the same time!   Then one of them made a comment like "It's really hard frosting a cake at the same time".   I'm like, well don't then.  

I think Nyah will go next (and should go), she's been pretty sloppy with the decorating overall and she's a bit too sassy for my taste. 

• Love 1

I think I remember Jenna saying in a TH that she was the youngest of the group?  She seemed pretty scattered, but that's seeing her against kids like Davis who are more mature and just have a calmer personality.  I love how he always looks stunned to be safe and not on the chopping block.  I really wish Misha had gone further, he seemed like an interesting person.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, BigBingerBro said:

I do have a feeling that the producers were encouraging bickering between the teammates, especially the boy/girl teams. 

I assumed just about all the talking heads were at least partially scripted. I mean, we all know by now that "reality" TV, well, isn't. I don't believe for a second that Karthik and Meadow made the "mansplaining" comments all on their own, and likewise, I don't believe that Nyah and Paige said the same thing at the same time perfectly in one take. But meh, that's how we get our entertaining TV. So yeah, while Jaxson didn't come off particularly well this episode, I'm not sure how much was really his actual personality and how much was encouraged from the sidelines for maximum drama/conflict.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, augmentedfourth said:

I assumed just about all the talking heads were at least partially scripted. I mean, we all know by now that "reality" TV, well, isn't. I don't believe for a second that Karthik and Meadow made the "mansplaining" comments all on their own, and likewise, I don't believe that Nyah and Paige said the same thing at the same time perfectly in one take. 

The TH responses are not usually scripted, but it's also true they probably didn't make those comments on their own. The general practice on these types of shows is that a PA with a clipboard and a list of questions asks the contestants, and all TH's are responses to that. So we're seeing one half of a conversation.

PA asks Meadow "Did you feel like Karthik was mansplaining during the challenge?"

What we see is the response to that.

Rinse repeat. Paige and Nyah saying the same thing also probably says more about the wording of what they were asked than anything else.

Nature or nurture? Karthik double mansplained when he ‘well actuallied’ the definition of mansplain. 🤦🏻‍♀️ I didn’t realize boys did that before puberty.

• Love 4
On 2/10/2019 at 8:16 AM, BigBingerBro said:

I do have a feeling that the producers were encouraging bickering between the teammates, especially the boy/girl teams.  

I feel like the produced theme of this episode was "boys are mean to girls" and things were edited and positioned to emphasize that.  Madison plays into that really well because she seems to play the victim really well.

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, docmatt said:

Madison plays into that really well because she seems to play the victim really well.

ITA.  Every time I watch this show or any other competition show with kids, I think that I must be looking at a mini version of one of their parents.  I'll bet that Maddy is a miniature of her mother or father.

• Love 2

Thanks for sharing your story, veronicamers.  That's cool!

10 hours ago, docmatt said:

Madison plays into that really well because she seems to play the victim really well.

Aw, I love Madison!  I don't see her as playing the victim, but just being snarky about what's going on around her.  She didn't have a good day making that tart and owned up to not putting the cornstarch in to begin with.  And in the prior episode, Jaxon was condescending to her, so I enjoyed her comments about him!   And ouch to Paige with that burn.  I hope they had aloe to put on that.  I keep a little bottle of aloe vera gel in my kitchen, and for any little burns, it takes the hurt right out.  Of course her burns were more serious and needed a medic.  Hopefully she got some topical anesthetic.  It was nice of the other kids to step in and help her.  

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

Aw, I love Madison!  I don't see her as playing the victim, but just being snarky about what's going on around her.  She didn't have a good day making that tart and owned up to not putting the cornstarch in to begin with.  And in the prior episode, Jaxon was condescending to her, so I enjoyed her comments about him!   And ouch to Paige with that burn.  I hope they had aloe to put on that.  I keep a little bottle of aloe vera gel in my kitchen, and for any little burns, it takes the hurt right out.  Of course her burns were more serious and needed a medic.  Hopefully she got some topical anesthetic.  It was nice of the other kids to step in and help her.  

That's what I like on this show, the kids often step in to help. I wish on the adult versions of the show you would see the same thing. 

• Love 4

No almonds for Paige this time! Had to laugh about the bleu cheese. That was my mum's favorite. Until the day she decided to microwave it with Limburger cheese.  My dad came in the house & yelled "J.H.C what the he** is that smell?" My mum smiled & said "nothing." Our house smelled all day.

• Love 1

Paige has not been my favorite but I have to give her and her mother a lot of credit for the way they handled that whole burn situation.  I could see the concern in mom's eyes but she remained calm and let Paige decide whether or not she wanted to continue.  Burns, even small ones, are painful but Paige did not have hysterics and decided to soldier on.  I also give credit to the other kids who knew she had lost time and pitched in to help her finish.

Karthik was the right choice for elimination but I liked him and was sorry to see him go.

Davis really deserved his win.  The goat he piped free-hand was impressive.  That kid has some real artistic talent.  I like all the kids who are left but I won't be at all unhappy if Davis wins the whole thing.

• Love 18

mlp I totally agree. Paige really held it together well and did herself proud. Also loved how the other kids came to help her with time running out. 

This is the second week in a row where I really enjoyed the challenge and the creativity the kids used in their creations. And I think this week in particular showed how critical the time-management piece of this competition really is. 

Davis definitely deserved the win this week and Karthik was the right one to go. Of the remaining bakers, I see Davis and Jaxon as the frontrunners at this point and Nyah as the dark horse who could surprise everyone.

• Love 3

Just started watching this episode and I have to shamefully admit...

My inner 10 year old did not hear anise when Meadow was talking fast during her dish explaining.

Tee hee hee...I am a child.🤪

Edited by Destiny74
Wrong child name.
  • LOL 4
18 hours ago, docmatt said:

I feel like the produced theme of this episode was "boys are mean to girls" and things were edited and positioned to emphasize that.  Madison plays into that really well because she seems to play the victim really well.

I don’t think so .  Jaxson looked pissed and didn’t even congratulate Madison when she won the competition . I think sadly , little boys still are getting messages at times from their parents , and also other prominent males in our speciality that they cans treat females like crap and it’s ok .

• Love 5
19 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I agree , Madison held it together , and so did Meadow wit the obnoxious boys they were stuck working with ! I almost wish they would have argued back and put them in their places , but Madison ended up winning, and Jaxon was not even polite and seemed pissed ! Kartnik was also bossy and obnoxious, so glad he is gone . I am hoping Jaxon goes next .

Davis is the only boy that I wouldn’t mind seeing win at this point . It’s only too bad they sent Misha home and kept Jenna who messed up repeatedly!

Edited by orangekit
4 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

My inner 10 year old did not hear anise when Meadow was talking fast during her dish explaining.

Heh!  I was sitting there thinking how many ways in which she described her anise could've gone wrong!  It's a joke waiting to happen.  

• Love 1

I think some of these challenges would be difficult for adult bakers, much less kids.  I mean bleu cheese, come on.  Davis was clearly comfortable with goat cheese, but he's mature enough to stop and think about the cheese, cheese plates, the fruit that pairs well with it.  Anise, Yuzu, pink peppercorn?  Yikes.  Jaxon still bugged me, and I felt bad for Paige.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Claire85 said:

“Science, Jaxon. Science.” 🤣

I need this in gif form.

12 minutes ago, trudysmom said:

I think some of these challenges would be difficult for adult bakers, much less kids.  I mean bleu cheese, come on.  Davis was clearly comfortable with goat cheese, but he's mature enough to stop and think about the cheese, cheese plates, the fruit that pairs well with it.  Anise, Yuzu, pink peppercorn?  Yikes.  Jaxon still bugged me, and I felt bad for Paige.

Agreed. Davis is very talented, but he also really lucked out getting goat cheese; that was probably the easiest of the ingredients. He also just annoys me, even though I know he's quite good. Maybe if he stopped with the over-the-top surprise whenever he's complimented.

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, springbarb said:

Agreed. Davis is very talented, but he also really lucked out getting goat cheese; that was probably the easiest of the ingredients. He also just annoys me, even though I know he's quite good. Maybe if he stopped with the over-the-top surprise whenever he's complimented.

Yeah, I have warmed to him considerably but his eyebrows bug the crap out of me. I picture him practicing that face in front of a mirror. He is talented, though.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, mlp said:

Paige has not been my favorite but I have to give her and her mother a lot of credit for the way they handled that whole burn situation.  I could see the concern in mom's eyes but she remained calm and let Paige decide whether or not she wanted to continue.  Burns, even small ones, are painful but Paige did not have hysterics and decided to soldier on.  I also give credit to the other kids who knew she had lost time and pitched in to help her finish.

Karthik was the right choice for elimination but I liked him and was sorry to see him go.

Davis really deserved his win.  The goat he piped free-hand was impressive.  That kid has some real artistic talent.  I like all the kids who are left but I won't be at all unhappy if Davis wins the whole thing.

Totally agree re: Paige and her mother. I was glad to hear a parent say "Do you want a break?" instead of "Are you ready to get back out there and WIN????"

And yeah, that tart from Davis was really impressive.

• Love 9
On 2/12/2019 at 9:56 AM, mlp said:

Well, you just said everything I came here to say, so I guess I'll just say "Ditto."

Davis's tart looked awesome.

• Love 3

Can I just insert here how much I love Duff and his new bride's tweets?  They are adorable.  Also really looking forward to his show vs Buddy.  Go Duff!

Edited by trudysmom
punctuation matters. :)
  • Love 1

I agree that Davis is amazing, but must admit that during his talking heads the phrase, "Its Howdy Doody time." keeps popping into my mind. I also wish the kids would stop trying so hard, including Davis when he clearly knows he's going to win.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

I find some of the kids obnoxious as all get out, and as much as I hate to admit this out loud so people can hear and judge me, I hope Davis doesn't win because I can't wait to see the expression on his face when someone else wins! I am a terrible adult! Forgive me!!

• LOL 8
  • Love 3

Davis will win unless he screws something up big-time.  I could tell by the editing in the first 15 minutes that Karthik was going home.

Poor Paige, something was obviously distracting her off-camera which caused her to spill that butter.  I often wonder how many cuts and burns we don't see.  

Madison made some pretty bad decisions, but at least she served something.  She's like night or day.

I'm just not a Duff fan.  His humor (or attempt at) grates on me.  Every week he just has to do the "Wow this tart is......  (10 second dramatic pause)  AWESOME!"  Yeah it was funny the first time.  Get new material.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

I could tell by the editing in the first 15 minutes that Karthik was going home.

Yeah, you could tell by his talking heads. I liked Karthik -- I hope he gets his dog🐶

• Love 4

Well, poo!  I hated to see Madison go, but I understand the judge's decision.  As soon as they mentioned how much cinnamon she was using, I figured that was going to be her downfall.  Good luck to the remaining chefs! 

• Love 1

Madison was doomed from the judging scene convo with Valerie, to wit:

Child baker says real volcanoes aren't decorated (words to that effect) to explain her plain-Jane pastry. 

Adult judge snarkily replies by "asking" if that opinion is from all the volcanoes child has seen. 

Adult tries to "walk it back" with ensuing niceties,  but.... 

Cue exit music: Dun-dun-DONE.

And may I add:

Between this show and "Top Chef" I'm finding myself adding to the list of "Foods I've Never Even Seen,  Let Alone Eaten." See: Monkey Bread. (Neither "Monkey" nor "Bread." Tawk amongst yourselves.)

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 2

I was surprised by this challenge. The only monkey bread I have ever made, or heard of is cinnamon.  Using other flavors blew my mind. (I guess I don't get out much.)  The look on Paige's face while she watched Davis decorate was priceless!  Bye, Madison, you are a cutie pie.

• Love 5

My mom makes the best monkey bread; I could gain 25 pounds just by looking at it.  Madison was one of my favorites, because she is so funny...her deadpan answers, Talking Head Looks, etc.  And I don't even care to admit it, I absolutely teared up when all the kids were saying good-bye. She wasn't the best baker in the group and had more off weeks than on weeks but she is just so adorable.  The only things that rubbed me the wrong way were her asides about eating too many chips and needing to work them off since she is a kid and shouldn't have to worry about that stuff and the fact that she seems to be a very picky eater - she doesn't like peanut butter, mango, something else...

I want either Davis or Paige to win. 

• Love 6

Monkey Bread has been around a long, long time. I've made it my whole life. And being a pro baker, we use already made biscuits...although it's not for selling, it's for eating amongst the family 🙂 It's sort of when you want a really quick cinnamon roll. We've added orange, caramel, or peanut butter to it.  Sad Madison left. I agree with her about the volcanoes though. Most active ones do not have a whole lotta "live" things around it. And if she had watched tv-she would have seen Kilauea.  I do love her banter about their "job" being an easy one. I would watch her own show anytime.

• Love 5

Between this show and "Top Chef" I'm finding myself adding to the list of "Foods I've Never Even Seen,  Let Alone Eaten." See: Monkey Bread. (Neither "Monkey" nor "Bread." Tawk amongst yourselves.)

Monkey bread is awesome and super easy to make.  I wasn't sure why it took them an hour to get the bread in the oven.  Although when I make it, I'm not trying to incorporate other flavors so I'm sure that added to the time.  I also just quarter the canned biscuits, put them in a gallon zip loc filled with cinnamon and sugar and shake them around until all the pieces are coated.  I put them in the pan and pour butter over top and bake it.

I felt bad for Madison especially since she went into the judging thinking she might have won the challenge.    

• Love 3

I complained to my husband that this is not baking (using canned biscuits).  Then, as if on cue, Diff and Valerie started explaining (excusing)  why it was acceptable to use canned biscuits (i.e., "Everyone in the world making monkey bread uses tinned biscuits..." ).

So, is it then a decorating challenge?  Then they were all underwhelming.  It was just a poor choice.  I liked Madison because she is good tv.  But I don't think I could excuse the unsweetened chocolate rice crispy treats.

Edited by Grumpbump
  • Love 2

This is the second week in a row of poor choices. Last week was THE WORST, though. How big an advantage was it to be assigned goat cheese, rather than BLUE cheese? And it was proven, when Goat Cheese won, and Blue Cheese was sent home.  And CURRY?  Come on, man.  I know you're running out of ideas, but we're scraping the bottom of the barrel, here. The kids deserve better. 

I will miss Madison's snark and stink eye when she's not pleased. Although last night, she hauled it out a little TOO much. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

It's a staple at a restaurant I go to fairly regularly. It's on their appetizers menu and is a savory one served with different sauces. I'm not a huge fan, but some days half the tables in the place have monkey bread on their tables. And the restaurant is always full.

• Love 1

I think that this particular challenge is showing that the kids really don't have a lot of baking experience / skill. Monkey bread? Really? Some of the kids really don't know what they are doing in any way at all. Paige (?) or Madison (?) constantly opening her oven for the second week in a row, juice instead of a sauce, the unsweetened chocolate, it was really just a shit show from a baking POV.

The pointless twists don't help either.

I don't mind having a kids' baking competition, but we have to stop the charade that this is a high level of quality baking.

Edited by Eliza422
  • Love 2

After 2 weeks of challenges that I found very interesting, I was pretty disappointed with this week's challenge. Count me among the people who had no idea what Monkey Bread was. And yes, that they used canned biscuits was really uninspiring. I would have to imagine that many (most?) of these kids had no idea what Monkey Bread was either, so the producers must have given them some instruction on it. And the dry ice thing was pointless, too.

Based on all of that, I really have no idea how to judge how the kids did. It really felt like "cut up some canned biscuit dough and throw it in a pan with your given fruit, put it in the oven." Decorating-wise, it was all pretty lazy. Even Davis, who seems to have some drawing skills, basically made some coating-chocolate shapes and threw them all on top. It didn't look very pretty. Happy that Meadow won and bummed that Madison got the boot, but all in all a boring challenge/episode.

Of the kids remaining, Davis seems to be a front-runner, but IMHO it's more because none of the other kids has really shown real baking skill; for some reason, most of them feel like they do not actually have much baking experience. Nyah in particular feels like she is winging it and getting lucky. Who actually wins will depend on how complicated the challenge is.

29 minutes ago, Eliza422 said:

I don't mind having a kids' baking competition, but we have to stop the charade that this is a high level of quality baking.

All the hype before the season started was about how good these kids were. But I think they are proving to be weaker overall than in most of the previous seasons.

• Love 3

Ah, monkey bread.  One of my favorite things growing up.

I will miss Madison and her oversized glasses and deadpan delivery.  I knew it was her turn to go when a large part of the cooking session was on her, with Paige and Nyah a close second.  

• Love 3
On 2/19/2019 at 12:12 PM, Shenanigan said:

Curious as to how much butter you use? Watching this show has made me want to make monkey bread, lol.

I want to say one stick but I can check the recipe tonight when I get home. 

ETA:

Confirmed - 1 stick of butter.  My recipe also calls for 3 cans of biscuits - 10 in each can.  My recipe is also ancient so the cans of biscuits these day may be bigger than they used to be so you may be able to use fewer cans.  You just need enough quartered pieces to almost fill a bundt pan.

Edited by Mrs. Stanwyck
add recipe information
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, bkathi said:

Not sad to see Madison go - she was getting really annoying.  I wish someone would just tell Paige to stop opening her oven and let her stuff bake! 

I believe Duff did tell her that last week, because she was doing the exact same thing.  Guess she didn't believe him.

• Love 1