Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E09: Insult to Injury

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Kate and Josiah were so over the top frustrated with Caroline and her not ever being available to flip the boat for the next charter got the better of them. And, Kate feeling humiliating in front of the crew ( by Caroline blaming her and Josiah). That was probably the biggest button ! It was unimaginable that she would not help after all the weight they had carried on her behalf and then she had been given an equal share of the tip. Caroline knew she was being overwhelmed but as far as we saw, never told Kate this ( probably terrified of the repercussions of that admission).

Kate's efforts to drive Caroline off the boat were just wrong( after her two day notice). But up until that point, Kate has never been known to give into emotions. Its all about the work. Suck it up and do it. Just as she and Josiah did double time when Caroline could not work. She doesn't coddle. Yet, I felt she coddled Caroline more than any other stew ever. I don't think I have seen her as patient with any other stew. I think Caroline built up a different story in her head over guilt that she could not measure up. If Kate and Josiah bonded early, it was over working hard and actually having fun with it. 

• Love 24
15 hours ago, AttackTurtle said:

Oh and because it was an asshole move to leave them hanging when they were about to start a new charter.

As opposed to when? You wouldn't want her to risk screwing things up for guests by announcing that she's quitting in mid-charter, but neither did she wait until they were done cleaning up., She gave them the best opportunity to bring on a replacement.

5 minutes ago, luvthepros said:

I've seen OG referenced many times on this forum. The only thing I can figure out it means is the "original" Below Deck.

It’s slang and technically stands for original gangster. 

• Love 4

I will never, ever understand why the 3rd stews complain about doing the bulk of the laundry. I would chose listening to music alone and not dealing with guests or coworkers any day of the week. Are these people so determined to be the victim that they don’t see the gifts they’re being given? 

Kate definitely enjoys othering one stew but from what we were shown she was much more patient and understanding with Caroline than I would have expected out of her.

Chandler is a perfect example of someone who was not made for Realty Television and who lacked the skills to deal with it. He also sucks.

• Love 21
17 hours ago, scrb said:

Not to take Caroline's side but they were preparing for the new charter and they wanted her to work to prep the yacht?

But she wasn't going to stay for the next charter yet she would have done some work towards it and the tip the crew would get.

Why would she help Kate and Josiah and the others get a tip which she wouldn't get a share of?

Because it’s her job? And when you give notice, unless it’s one of the cases mentioned where the company has you leave immediately after quitting, you work out your notice. Tips are irrelevant in that situation...

Edited by leslieo54
Not really editing, just wanted to note that I need to stop responding without checking if others have already made my point more eloquently;-)
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, missyb said:

Kate and Josiah were so over the top frustrated with Caroline and her not ever being available to flip the boat for the next charter got the better of them. And, Kate feeling humiliating in front of the crew ( by Caroline blaming her and Josiah). That was probably the biggest button ! It was unimaginable that she would not help after all the weight they had carried on her behalf and then she had been given an equal share of the tip. Caroline knew she was being overwhelmed but as far as we saw, never told Kate this ( probably terrified of the repercussions of that admission).

Kate's efforts to drive Caroline off the boat were just wrong( after her two day notice). But up until that point, Kate has never been known to give into emotions. Its all about the work. Suck it up and do it. Just as she and Josiah did double time when Caroline could not work. She doesn't coddle. Yet, I felt she coddled Caroline more than any other stew ever. I don't think I have seen her as patient with any other stew. I think Caroline built up a different story in her head over guilt that she could not measure up. If Kate and Josiah bonded early, it was over working hard and actually having fun with it. 

^THIS^ to all the above bolded. Caroline has had ZERO problem taking a full tip share when she's done almost nothing for the entire charter. And that scenario has happened over and over on pretty much every charter because it's always something with her. She presents herself as someone who is battling mental illness yet doesn't realize or want to accept that it's not just her parents who have issues, she's their child and it seems like she inherited it from them given how much emphasis she placed on her father being a narcissist in the beginning of the show, and her mother having dementia. And while we're at that crossroad, WHO goes off on a yacht across the globe when the only parent they have a relationship with - and whom they claim to be close to - is degrading into dementia?!? Who does that?!  This girl is unwell and needs psychiatric care and meds, though she seems like the type to go off meds on the regular just because. People like Caroline are very Munchhausenish - there is always, Always, ALWAYS some drama/illness/wrongdoing that happens to them and that everyone else has to pay for. ENOUGH BravHo, it's not entertaining.

As for Kate and Josiah, I cannot imagine the level of frustration of having to do someone else's work, seeing how utterly incompetent they are, and having to give them an equal share of the tip every fucking charter. And Lee had to ask Kate, on camera, about the accusations because she had written them down and she's crazy enough to try to sue them so of course he had to cover himself, the crew, etc. by asking directly. I can't fault him for that and Kate ought to get that by now.

• Love 22
22 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I think they did too.  Caroline definitely was playing a game with the crew during that speech.  When no one reacted the way she wanted them too, she regrouped and came up with not working the next day.   I noticed that she was dressed to work while lounging in bed.  She got up and put on her uniform, but then decided she did not want to work.  I wish that Kate and Josiah would have left her alone until Captain Lee was back.  At that point, why bother with her.

I wish they would have as well. Not because I felt so badly for her (I didn't); but because they shouldn't have given her hysterical ass ANY attention. That's just what she wants. 

• Love 14
18 hours ago, BodhiGurl said:

In my opinion, given that Caroline helped herself joyfully to all the tips over multiple charters for very little work on her part, the least she could have done was help turn the boat over for the next group - especially since she was also leaving the staff in a bind. 

Yea, no shit. She laid around most of one charter. Granted, I do believe her foot really was an issue. But she definitely got her share of the pot when she did little to no work. If she wanted to put in "two days", she needed to WORK for two days. Otherwise, what's the point? Just leave. 

7 hours ago, queenjen said:

Caroline is indefensible, but Kate and Josiah were covertly alienating her and enjoying it from the jump. Like with their tres amusant little dance routines calculated to exclude the third wheel or make them look foolish trying to fit in.

I just don't see that. Kate and Josiah simply hit it off from the start. Should they have pretended they didn't enjoy each other's company? I saw them trying to include Caroline,but all her hang-ups kept getting in the way. Either way, I don't think they should have downplayed their natural charisma for Caroline's sake. 

• Love 21

I felt badly for Caroline at first with her infected foot. But DAMN did she turn out to be a whiney butt!! The only thing I remember being requested of her was to "make drinks" but she'd screw it up every time! First she griped to the guests about her foot (no need to do that, even if they asked she could just say "I've seen the Dr. about it--no worries!") Then she got flustered that one time, so much so one of the guests commented about it. Then she broke a glass & got flustered & couldn't get it cleaned up without help. THEN SHE GOT A SINUS INFECTION. Ugh, she was driving me crazy through the tv screen.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, gingerella said:

As for Kate and Josiah, I cannot imagine the level of frustration of having to do someone else's work, seeing how utterly incompetent they are, and having to give them an equal share of the tip every fucking charter. 

Not only that, but they had to coddle, cuddle, baby, and praise her.

• Love 16
8 hours ago, queenjen said:

I think we only saw part of a long list of Transgressions Against Caroline by Her Interior Overlords AKA Kate and Josiah (all written in puffy pen in rainbow colours on the front of specially purchased binder ) when she spoke to Cpt Lee. He had to treat her complaint seriously and was probably weighing up Caroline's potential for future cray and ongoing litigation. I also believe Kate was well aware and her clamming up wasn't necessarily disrespect for Lee even going there, but unwillingness to commit any more than she had to on camera. Kate knows how to play the game because Kate knows exactly what she did. Some of it possibly was actionable. She denies everything. 

I think that is on the money. Kate clammed up and Bravo is covering up. I would bet that Kate did a bunch more of “actionable” stuff and Captain Lee is well aware of what she is capable of since she has probably done it before. The production crew no doubt egged her on but cut it out when Caroline made noises about it. The contracts they sign are very restrictive but they don’t need the bad publicity. So they took the easy way out and squashed it.

As far as using the phrase “Kate is a bad person” please be advised that it is a rhetorical device based on Cato’s famous line that ended every speech:  “ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam” which means “Apart from that, I conclude that Carthage must be destroyed.”

Of course it is a joke. Kidding on the square. Because even though it is funny to tweak the scantimonious mean girl it is none the less true.

Kate is a bad person and Carthage must be destroyed.

Edited by langford peel
  • Love 7
30 minutes ago, langford peel said:

As far as using the phrase “Kate is a bad person” please be advised that it is a rhetorical device based on Cato’s famous line that ended every speech:  “ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam” which means “Apart from that, I conclude that Carthage must be destroyed.”

Okay, I bow down - gotta love anyone who can make Cato funny!

• Love 3

I don't speak latin (who does?) but I beg to differ with this:

45 minutes ago, langford peel said:

I think that is on the money. Kate clammed up and Bravo is covering up. I would bet that Kate did a bunch more of “actionable” stuff and Captain Lee is well aware of what she is capable of since she has probably done it before.

We're all watching a goofy reality show.  Wouldn't it be better to show all of the "actionable" stuff for the viewers?  Why in the world would "they" cover all of this up?  I'm not tracking.  

• Love 7

They cover up illegality all the time. For instance I bet they cover up drug use in all of the franchises. When it comes to employment law you might be protected by the iron clad contract but having it on film might give the employee some leverage. Also they have a narrative and they don’t want their favorites to come off bad. Until they fall out of favor as happened with Carole in New York this year.

I used to consult with a lot of small businesses and there were always two types of problems that were endemic and specific  to mid level managers. With male supervisors it was always sexual harassment of one sort or another. With female supervisors it was the “Queen Bee” syndrome with the playing of favorites, scapegoating and “othering” of the chosen phariah. Sometimes it was the “Lord of the Flies”out there. That’s when upper mamagement (Captain Lee) has to step in and put a stop to it. Of course  he has to be aware of what’s going on and it should not be a surprise. That is to say if he is doing his job.

Kate tantum esse malus.

Edited by langford peel
Because I can only spell in Latin
  • Love 1

Caroline has illustrated she is an unreliable narrator not only on the show but on Twitter. They have shown far worse behavior on this show. Eddie for example who was beloved by fans was shown breaking into Rocky’s room and threating her.

• Love 12
4 minutes ago, AnnieBananie said:

I found it most interesting that Kate, who has live-tweeted/reacted to most of the episodes, stayed completely silent this week. I would have assumed she'd be crowing, crowing, crowing from the roof about Caroline leaving.

She was on WWHL after the episode so saved it for there.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 11

So now Caroline is all over twitter

1 hour ago, AnnieBananie said:

I found it most interesting that Kate, who has live-tweeted/reacted to most of the episodes, stayed completely silent this week. I would have assumed she'd be crowing, crowing, crowing from the roof about Caroline leaving.

Kate (& Josiah) were guests on WWHL and could not live tweet.  

Caroline promised (via Twitter) some big reveal.  The only thing revealed was that she's even more unstable than initially thought.  Now she's going on about Kate being a drunk and how 20 people sat around and listened to her cry for help and yet not come to her rescue.  Where was she crying for help?  She locked herself in the cabin.  No one stopped her from leaving. 

• Love 9

It is interesting that Ross put an end to it and tried to help her. He must of thought what the mean girls were doing was wrong.  He seems like the most mature and professional member of the crew.  It is also true that Caroline could have a boatload of problems and still not be wrong about Kate. She is not the first third stew to be abused and othered by Kate.

Even paranoids have enemies

• Love 5
1 minute ago, langford peel said:

must of thought what the mean girls were doing was wrong.  

He might have until he quickly got out of there after she said she was refusing to work. You can literally see him change his mind and refuse to make eye contact and than exit.

• Love 12

What was Caroline crying for help for? The music?

All in all, Kate was pretty good to her with showing warmth and concern for her. (As much as Kate ever showed) and was more gentle than she might have been in previous seasons. She does have a mean girl streak but lol, doesn’t mean she is a bad person. 

I can’t help but wonder if Caroline, being familiar with the show, had felt defensive going in toward Kate. I can’t believe she is 34. Talk about stunted development. She acts like a melodramatic emo 14 year old. 

I do feel for her and don’t have a real problem with her but she really contributed to her problems on the boat. She sees everything through the eyes of the victim. 

• Love 12
6 hours ago, TwopLurker said:

I will never, ever understand why the 3rd stews complain about doing the bulk of the laundry. I would chose listening to music alone and not dealing with guests or coworkers any day of the week. Are these people so determined to be the victim that they don’t see the gifts they’re being given? 

They're there to be on TV, and the producers aren't going to devote much air time to somebody doing laundry.

• Love 4

So reading through this confabulation it appears that there are continuing allegations about Kate’s cocaine abuse. They had previously been made by Rocky and Bruno. I guess you can discount Rocky but Bruno was a deckhand who didn’t directly work for Kate. So he doesn’t really have an axe to grind. Rocky did say that the cameras definitely got the coke use on camera but Bravo covered it up. Sounds plausible.

I have to ask Alex Jones about it.

• Love 1
On 11/28/2018 at 3:43 PM, trimthatfat said:

I wouldn’t say she’s a bad person, but that tactic was not appropriate. I understand she was mad and tired of Caroline, but it wasn’t professional.

Quitting with 2 days notice is really shitty. 

Basically, neither Caroline nor Kate had their finest hours last night.

In a short charter season though, what is appropriate? Two weeks would have been, what....40% of the charter season? Maybe a two charter notice would be appropriate? I don’t know....it’s been over 14 years since I gave notice and it was an office setting.

34 minutes ago, langford peel said:

So reading through this confabulation it appears that there are continuing allegations about Kate’s cocaine abuse. They had previously been made by Rocky and Bruno. I guess you can discount Rocky but Bruno was a deckhand who didn’t directly work for Kate. So he doesn’t really have an axe to grind. Rocky did say that the cameras definitely got the coke use on camera but Bravo covered it up. Sounds plausible.

I have to ask Alex Jones about it.

Not sure where that's coming from. Caroline's accusation (in addition to the "psychological rape")

I'm waiting patiently for Caroline's past to come out. She's 34.  I guarantee she's pulled this shit before. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, langford peel said:

It is interesting that Ross put an end to it and tried to help her. He must of thought what the mean girls were doing was wrong.  He seems like the most mature and professional member of the crew.  It is also true that Caroline could have a boatload of problems and still not be wrong about Kate. She is not the first third stew to be abused and othered by Kate.

Even paranoids have enemies

I was impressed at your Latin skills, and then disappointed by your "must of."

I was also relieved that Ross intervened.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, PumpkinPK said:

I was impressed at your Latin skills, and then disappointed by your "must of."

I was also relieved that Ross intervened.

That's a pet peeve of mine too.  Ugh  Along with a lot of other things.

Plus...it's easy enough to google a bunch of Latin.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, snarts said:

Not sure where that's coming from. Caroline's accusation (in addition to the "psychological rape")

I'm waiting patiently for Caroline's past to come out. She's 34.  I guarantee she's pulled this shit before. 

I don't even know what she is saying here. I get that she is calling Kate an alcoholic.  After that,  her tweet went off the rails. 

Is she referencing something specific to radar online?  I feel like I am missing something. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, langford peel said:

She is accusing Kate of being a coke head. Several others have said the same thing including Rocky and Bruno. If you follow the links you will find articles about these allegations.

What links?

Her tweet is incoherent.  I have seen tweets from accused coke head Kate Chastain.  They are complete sentences and have context. 

I honestly don't know what Caroline is saying. Not being snarky.  They seem manic. 

• Love 11

I would never say that anyone is a bad person because you often don't see behavior through the full context of what is going on around and in the life of that person.  However, other less than stellar adjectives might apply just based on what we have seen.  Caroline whines and gripes and moans and complains ad nauseum.  That's all we have seen of her: a jittery, nervous mess who grouses, grumbles and sobs her way through each day.

The constant repetition is not amusing, not charming and not interesting.  We would all be better off if the beating of the dead horse would cease.

Thank you.

• Love 17
On 11/28/2018 at 2:04 AM, yourmomiseasy said:

Of course Ryhlee turned Ross forgetting the bug spray and ponchos into a personal slight.  Then Ross is nice to her and tries to give her a break and she loses her shit.  She is an asshole.

I was always on Chandler's side when dealing with her.  Nice to see I was right, she is the ugly common denominator, can't handle respecting any authority.

• Love 11
40 minutes ago, rehoboth said:

The constant repetition is not amusing, not charming and not interesting.  We would all be better off if the beating of the dead horse would cease.

Thank you.

Ragging on Caroline, I started feeling like I was kicking a sick dog.  I enjoy seeing what nonsense she's tweeted lately,  but I can no longer post on her personal challenges in life. 

31 minutes ago, noveltylibrary said:

I was always on Chandler's side when dealing with her.  Nice to see I was right, she is the ugly common denominator, can't handle respecting any authority.

From the behavior she's displayed, working on her fishing boats must be a living hell.  I cannot imagine a captain who throws a hissy fit every time she thinks someone has disrespected her.

"You! Deckhand! Did you just roll your eyes at me? I am the captain and I will not tolerate..... blahblahblah!"

Actually it sounds like another Bravo show in the making which I'm sure is what she's hoping for.

Edited by Skycatcher
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Caroline is a fucking idiot.

Reality TV as we currently know it has been around for more than 25 years. In that time, we've seen producers:

• allow a black out drunk Ruthie to drive home on the Real World,
  • film more than one rape on the Real World and The Challenge,
  • film multiple physical assaults on the Real World, The Challenge, Vanderpump Rules, and the Real Housewives including when Ramona threw a glass at Kristen's face and then tried to hit her with an oar and when Geneva hit Melyssa in the head with a bottle of champagne on Blood, Sweat, and Heels, and
  • film Kim Richards crawling on the floor looking for pills to get high.

Producers can barely be arsed to step in when the cast is in imminent danger or a danger to others. What makes Caroline think that they were going to intervene for her? She wasn't in imminent danger. She was completely safe, but simply upset.

This is what I mean when I said that Caroline is very performative. She sat there for 30 minutes wailing for someone to help her rather than just speaking to Kate. Or use Ross or Rhylee as an intermediary with Kate. Or doing the thing we've seen countless other Below Deckers do, which is call a friend or family member to complain. Nothing can be simple with her. It always has to be some big melodramatic thing with a ton of witnesses.

And the fact that Caroline, although I am sure contractually bound, she never lashes out immediately following the season, via twitter or any other interviews. So, she does not want to be sued or lose her paycheck. Her grievances could wait until air time. Its all TV.

Typically, after the first couple of seasons of more "real" stuff , we get folks acting for the cameras. Bring on the drama. It pays more.

8 hours ago, langford peel said:

She is accusing Kate of being a coke head. Several others have said the same thing including Rocky and Bruno. If you follow the links you will find articles about these allegations.

Kate may do blow, drink and smoke outside of work but I don't think she would ever ever put the captain in jeopardy by bringing it on the ship.

Edited by missyb
  • Love 14

I don't consider Rocky, Bruno, or Chef beef cheeks to be reliable sources... all of which I believe have said Kate drank while on charter, as well as some of the other accusations (coke alcoholic etc). Caroline is going full nutter on Twitter. And it is curious how she stayed silent until the episode aired. If it was so awful, why not bring out the dirt right away? And she went from chastizing Capn Lee and throwing around some curious "metoo" style accusations to referring to him as her "cappy" so - yeah. She's not reliable when it comes to telling the truth. She won't be at the reunion because she isn't' getting paid accd to her. Mmmkay Caroline. Mmmkay. Get the help you need. At least she will no longer be on the upcoming episodes. RHONJ kept that maniac Siggy on for the entire season... I can't even watch this season because last season of RHONJ was insane. I know I'm going on a tangent here but it relates, Siggy is STILL blowing up twitter with her nutter self. More than a year later. Still crabbing about it and throwing out bizarre stuff. Caroline would do herself a huge favor by getting the help she needs and getting the heck off of twitter. Then again, she wouldn't be getting the attention she's getting - and folks like her - they will take the attention no matter how they get it or if it's good or bad. Sigh.

• Love 13