Type keyword(s) to search

19 Things I Hate About You: How the Duggars Infuriate

• Start Topic

I'm sorry, I'm a little behind... So this was a while back, but I was just going to say in reference to accents, that it's always funny because I live in south Florida, but I'm from Texas. When I tell people that they are immediately disappointed because I don't have an accent, and I have to tell them I'm from a big city (Houston) so I don't have an accent, inevitably until I say "y'all".

• Love 2

Count me in as being a product of Catholic schools and Jesuits.  They taught us to think and reason things out rather than follow their line because they said so.  This critical thinking is now out the window at our universities in favor of following the professors' agendas.

Another product of Catholic schools and the Jesuits here. In addition to being taught how to reason, I was also taught about the value of service be it in the ministry or in a lay capacity and be it within the church or the broader community. This has had a strong positive influence on my value system and on my career path (public interest law), I am presently a law student and I volunteer at a number of community legal centres, I will continue to volunteer and perform pro bono work once I am admitted to practice. 

I find the insular nature of fundies in general and the Duggars in particular to be infuriating. Not being out in the community and not servicing others seems to fly in the face of my understanding on Christianity and Christian values. The Duggars only ever volunteer or serve others when they can get publicity out of it. 

• Love 9

I see here that there's 45 pages of things that people dislike about the Duggar family and honestly I'm surprised there's not twice as much as there is. I think I could fill up 45 pages all by myself of things that just bother the hell out of me. Okay, so the most recent was an old episode I saw today when Ben asked for permission to court Jessa. They all met in a little laundry room, Jim Bob, Michelle, Ben and Jessa.  After Jess accepted Ben's offer to court, Jim Bob allowed them to side hug for 30 seconds. (no more) Then, with a perfectly straight face and without blinking an eyelash he looked into the camera to say;

"A side hug would be when two people wrap their arms around each other and give each other a hug from the side versus a frontal hug of pushing themselves together on the front and, I think everyone can figure that out on their own".

I'm glad Jim Bob clarified that for the National viewing audience, aren't you? Basically he said that if a male and female give each other a 'frontal hug' that they will clash genitals causing lust to well up inside their loins and they will be compelled to fornicate. I have witnessed two female front hugging on camera but that's okay because they don't get feelings of lust exploding from their groins when they hug, so that's okay with the home church people.

Jim Bob? You were sort of pushing the envelope here, weren't ya, you bad bad boy. I think this was a 'fride' hug, sort of a combination of side and front hug. Did you think you would get away with that? ACK! was Michelle sitting on your lap? 

2D11619311-today-duggars-140213-08.block

Edited by HumblePi
  • Love 7

Duggar Rules of Romance #6

The first kiss occurs at the altar

Waiting ensures "there's no regrets," Michelle, 48, says. In the meantime, the courting couple can focus on the "spiritual and emotional ­aspects of a relationship."

The Duggar women and their intended husbands are big sticklers for 'no kiss before marriage'. They are proud of that and boast about it frequently, as if that's a good thing. I had a boy friend in high school that I wouldn't let him kiss me until the 3rd date. When he did, it was nasty, wet and his breath smelled like garlic. I gave him a second chance another time, hoping that was just a fluke and maybe he just forgot to swallow his saliva or had just had a garlic pizza. But no, it was just as nasty and he covered my mouth and face with it. Ew! It turned me off so much that I broke up with him. I couldn't imagine myself getting nearly sick to my stomach being kissed by that on a regular basis. This pride about 'no kiss before we're married' is just totally stupidity. I noticed that Ben kisses like a cardboard cutout figure so I hope he improved during the honeymoon.

• Love 7

Waiting ensures "there's no regrets," Michelle, 48, says. In the meantime, the courting couple can focus on the "spiritual and emotional ­aspects of a relationship."

The Duggar women and their intended husbands are big sticklers for 'no kiss before marriage'. They are proud of that and boast about it frequently, as if that's a good thing. I had a boy friend in high school that I wouldn't let him kiss me until the 3rd date. When he did, it was nasty, wet and his breath smelled like garlic. I gave him a second chance another time, hoping that was just a fluke and maybe he just forgot to swallow his saliva or had just had a garlic pizza. But no, it was just as nasty and he covered my mouth and face with it. Ew! It turned me off so much that I broke up with him. I couldn't imagine myself getting nearly sick to my stomach being kissed by that on a regular basis. This pride about 'no kiss before we're married' is just totally stupidity. I noticed that Ben kisses like a cardboard cutout figure so I hope he improved during the honeymoon.

I kwym. I stopped dating guys if they were terrible kissers. You have to have a certain chemistry with someone.

I really hate how jb & Mechelle say that the couples can make up their own courting rules, then watched them like a hawk. "I see hand holding!!" she crowed before Jill & Dericj made their engagement announcement. I know it was staged but Shut It, MEchelle!

• Love 6

The whole side-hug thing has burned my cheese for a decade now - their faux humility/chastity/Godliness and posturing about how the lack of contact keeps them in line makes me want to poke my own eyes out. I understand that most parents probably want their kids to be "good" and not become promiscuous, but his obsession with talking about it, lecturing about it, monitoring it, joking about it, and on and on, is just so mind-numbingly squicky and gross !!! If my father had talked about MY sexy bits like that I would have never stopped throwing up.

Also, I recall seeing at LEAST two very quick (but still evident) almost full-frontal hugs between both Jill and Derek and Jessa and Ben. It seemed to catch them all off guard, and JB did and said nothing, but there they were. I remember thinking "Wow, they just couldn't stop - it's just the natural way to do things when you hug. You lean in and -BOOM- you're hugging like people were meant to..."

I wonder if there was private hell to pay for those, and if anyone spent some extra time in the prayer closet for it.

• Love 3

Aren't there plenty of images out there of Jesus, an unmarried man (depending on whether you believe the conspiracy theories about a secret marriage), front hugging both men and women? It must be nice for the Duggars to be more pure and moral than Jesus.

• Love 5

That is SOOOOO funny, Humble!!!  I had the exact same thing happen when I was in high school!  And MY guy... wouldn't let GO of that nasty, wet, sloppy, icky, horrifying moment either!  (Was...your guy named Richard by any chance?)  And I had exactly the same thought the other day, although I admit I didn't think of that nasty kissing thing - I did have the passing thought that kissing beforehand may actually be a very good thing.  I bet Jill secretly wishes she'd practiced!

• Love 1

Controversy elsewhere made me remember how much I hate that the Duggars perpetuate the idea that a woman's worth is tied to her uterus.

If that's true then I must be worthless. All I get from my uterus are cramps and mild resentment. 

Seriously, though, the more I think about it the more I truly believe the Duggars are not just a cult, they are a fertility cult. Every single thing they do is geared toward adding more petals to the flower (or whatever sing-song nonsense metaphor they use) and no one seems to be up to snuff unless they are reproducing. Michelle appears to be incapable of uttering a sentence without it including pregnancy, labor, delivery, or babies. She's pretty whack-a-doodle anyway, but when someone gets pregnant she gets all goggle-eyed and Charles Manson-y. The whisper-squeak becomes even more shrill and she looks like she's about to snap before her face melts off like in Raiders of the Lost Ark. I wonder how long it will be before she starts eying up her grandchildren and musing about them having babies. 

• Love 4

If that's true then I must be worthless. All I get from my uterus are cramps and mild resentment.

Seriously, though, the more I think about it the more I truly believe the Duggars are not just a cult, they are a fertility cult. Every single thing they do is geared toward adding more petals to the flower (or whatever sing-song nonsense metaphor they use) and no one seems to be up to snuff unless they are reproducing. Michelle appears to be incapable of uttering a sentence without it including pregnancy, labor, delivery, or babies. She's pretty whack-a-doodle anyway, but when someone gets pregnant she gets all goggle-eyed and Charles Manson-y. The whisper-squeak becomes even more shrill and she looks like she's about to snap before her face melts off like in Raiders of the Lost Ark. I wonder how long it will be before she starts eying up her grandchildren and musing about them having babies.

When McK gets her first period.

• Love 1

It must be nice for the Duggars to be more pure and moral than Jesus.

I don't see the Duggars being down with dining with tax collectors and harlots.

There's the prison ministry, but that's just because the cult can't grow without a liter captive audience - prisoners, kids, etc.

• Love 4

I don't even have a uterus anymore. I must be less than nothing.:) lack of cramps and bleeding are fantastic though. Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Love 6

What gets on my nerves about the Duggers?  You mean besides their lack of interest in literature, art, education, the WHOLE WORLD? It would be the parents obsession: a. that honest, spontaneous affection through hugging, grabbing of hands (like when you are talking to a friend about something emotional and you just have to hold onto each other), a kiss on the cheek will automatically cause raging lust that cannot be controlled; b.  with the almost manic need to know about their children's sex life (just ewwww!); c.  to show their children that they have a sex life (double ewww plus Yuck!); d. their lack of trust in the morals and teachings they have (supposedly) instilled in their children to navigate the world; and e. to control every aspect of their children's lives even those past the age of 21!  

• Love 14

I just posted on the other thread (Jills I think) how inappropriate and greedy their wedding gift registries are. How can you add a kayak with a straight face? Or a computer? Not just any computer but a Mac Air? I think we could start a whole new thread with this topic lol!  

• Love 9

Don't judge me, but I brought the People magazine with Jill, Derick and Izzy it in. I find it ironic on the next page following their story, there was a story about the youngest survivors of the Oklahoma City bombing. Jill and Derick go on and on about her difficult delivery, but these poor young people lives were almost cut short due to someone's anger against the government. The Duggars and the editors should be proud of themselves because we all know Jill is more important than innocent children who lives were changed forever due a home terrorist attack.

I just posted on the other thread (Jills I think) how inappropriate and greedy their wedding gift registries are. How can you add a kayak with a straight face? Or a computer? Not just any computer but a Mac Air? I think we could start a whole new thread with this topic lol!  

This still makes me angry. "Buy used and save the difference" family didn't register at second hand shops did they? I hope if Josiah marries, he breaks this habit. Not likely though. 

• Love 5

You make a great point, AmyFarrahFowler! I never thought about their "buy used, save the difference" mantra and why that didn't extend that to their gift registry. Assholes. I wish someone would have messaged that question to them!

• Love 3

You make a great point, AmyFarrahFowler! I never thought about their "buy used, save the difference" mantra and why that didn't extend that to their gift registry. Assholes. I wish someone would have messaged that question to them!

Someone probably did ask that question, but as we know the Duggars don't take the tough ones. There may be a clue there as to why Boob didn't last long in politics as well.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 7

Even the whole Jubilee situation looked somehow off to me - in a way I can't quite pinpoint - but it did.

Just as the "Caleb" situation is off. Caleb was never mentioned, nor that nonsense about birth control pills causing a miscarriage. I would love to be able to track down a doctor or someone who knew them closely, to find out what the real story is about the gap between Josh and the next (Jana is it?). I bet they just feel guilty for using birth control and needed to spice up the story as to why they then decided to go from one extreme (planned parenthood) to the next.

Edited by Chalby

Just as the "Caleb" situation is off. Caleb was never mentioned, nor that nonsense about birth control pills causing a miscarriage. I would love to be able to track down a doctor or someone who knew them closely, to find out what the real story is about the gap between Josh and the next (Jana is it?). I bet they just feel guilty for using birth control and needed to spice up the story as to why they then decided to go from one extreme (planned parenthood) to the next.

I don't see how planned parenthood is an extreme, but I'm curious too. I also wonder how those 4 years without kids felt to jim boob and mechelle. For such an "open" family, they keep a lor in the dark.

• Love 2

What's really strange about the "gap" between Josh and Jana and JD is that it's less than 2 years! (According to Wikipedia, Josh is born March 1988, and Jana and JD are born Jan 1990. That would have been two years if they were born in march.) So in less than 2 years they recovered from the birth of one baby, had a miscarriage, and got pregnant with twins. I do think it's possible, but that's such a lot to happen in a  small amount of time. 

Michelle and jim Bob were married about three years when they got pregnant with Josh. By their fourth anniversary, they had one child and having the wild two years mentioned above. 

Edited by Temperance

So I have a random question -- has there been any sign of Bubba the (very clean) Dog since his adventure at the bath place?

I don't remember seeing him again, but admittedly I don't watch that closely. I have this feeling we'll see one or more of the kids tormenting him soon, a-la- ramming into the cat with a sled. If he's still around. I hope he is, seemed like a sweet dog.

• Love 3

I don't remember seeing him again, but admittedly I don't watch that closely. I have this feeling we'll see one or more of the kids tormenting him soon, a-la- ramming into the cat with a sled. If he's still around. I hope he is, seemed like a sweet dog.

He did seem like a sweet dog, which is why I hope he's NOT still around, but has been returned to his real owners. ;-)

• Love 10

So in less than 2 years they recovered from the birth of one baby, had a miscarriage, and got pregnant with twins. I do think it's possible, but that's such a lot to happen in a  small amount of time. 

I don't see that as implausible at all. I know many people who have 1.5-2 years separating themselves and their siblings with a miscarriage in between.  It is a very common story. Now, they are all singles, not twins- but its not like it takes more time to get pregnant with twins.

If the camera people willingly let a Duggar child wrangle their pet, they have no business being pet owners! I can get so fired up about these people. I need a hobby.

AmyFarrahFowler (Loving the name, BTW !) - I get fired up, too, so no, you don't need a hobby ! The Duggars have an absolutely horrible track record with pets, and every time they feature one on screen I nudge my SO and say "I wonder how long this one is going to last..."

Poor Bubba ! What a cool, weird little dog - I'm guessing an improbable mix of Lab and Basset Hound ? Maybe some Dachshund ? Either way, he was so very patient while being manhandled by the J-Crew at the grooming place ! My heart was in my throat the whole time.

It really chaps my ass to see Michelle waxing poetic about all the pets they've had in her sing-song voice with the far-away, checked-out look in her eyes - she's the very last person on earth who should have a pet. As SeaShell Lover said, this was an FU Internets moment - the Duggar PR machine was in damage-control mode, shamelessly pandering to dog lovers to cull some positive press. Not buying it, lady - not any more than when Jon and Voldemort + 8 adopted their dogs...

Michelle seems to treat her own children as she treats her dogs - she only likes them while they're puppies.

• Love 5

I saw a dog, I think it's the same one, with a brown tabby cat in the opening credits on Tues.

I think it is very much back pedaling & rewriting history after Cat-gate. Just like when anna had the scripted line at the family dinner "what should we have on the side? Fruit & vegetable". They are listening to their critics.

Except on freeing the J'slaves.

• Love 5

I saw a dog, I think it's the same one, with a brown tabby cat in the opening credits on Tues.

Poor Bubba and kitty (not sure of its name). I was hoping they had found better homes  by now.

• Love 4

Every single time I click on this thread to see what's up, I have that light-switch moment that I read the title and say to myself, "EVERYTHING about the Duggars gets on my nerves! Where to start??"

I can relate...

someecards-onceyouhatesomebody7e0ee.png

• Love 11

The faux modesty and hypocrisy. Jill has People magazine on speed dial. The Duggar girls get a makeover for t.v. with male make-up artists and stylists (who are probably not hetero ), and all of this is perfectly acceptable because it's promoting theit brand. BUT THEY ARE OH SO MODEST!!! Do they even read People magazine or condone its subject matter? Probably not because it's for the Heathens. Jessa was labeled 'Sexiest Duggar Alive '...how modest. They are just soooo modest, Anna was filmed giving birth in the shitter.

• Love 4
(edited)

ETA: I wrote "these asshats" because the actual name FRC had slipped my mind. I was trying to explain who I meant to my daughter, thinking she might know, and she said, "Oh, I know who you mean. It's, like, Christians Against Humanity or something." :-)

Brought this over from the Smuggars thread, since I'm not sure where it fits, but I had to share this. WARNING FOR POSSIBLY EXTREMELY OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE.

My daughter suggesting the organization Josh works for was called "Christians Against Humanity " (from the post on the Smuggars thread) engendered the following conversation in her dorm room:

Daughter's Boyfriend: Why is your mom watching Yokels Are Us, anyway?

Daughter: I thought it was 19 Yokels. But yeah, one of the sons works for that horrible lobbying group...

Daughter's Roommate: Oh, well THAT narrows it down...

Daughter's Boyfriend: No, you know the ones that are being oppressed by anti-bigotry laws. Christians Against Human Sexuality. Homosexuality. Something.

Daughter: Humanity.

Random Guy in the Room: I don't think it's actually Christians Against Humanity, dude. I think it's, like, Families for ... uh, Families for Hitler? No, that was a U-tube thing [no idea].

Daughter: Does it fucking matter? Let's just refer to them as "Homos, go home."

Daughter's Boyfriend: No it's Homos Go to Hell.

Random Person, possibly the same one as above: They should call themselves "People who are really, really insecure in their sexual orientation."

Daughter: ... for Jesus.

Crowd: PWARRIITSOFJ! (Mutterings about how this is pronounced)

Daughter's Boyfriend: I'm calling them "Motherfucking Hate-mongering Sons of Bitches, for Jesus."

Daughter: Dude, you know my mom is still on the Skype connection, right?

CLICK

ETA I realized this could come as as being very anti-Christian in tone, so I wanted to clarify -- My daughter attends a Jesuit university, and at least two people in that conversation were very devoted Catholics, who are profoundly offended at people spreading hate "for Jesus." They wouldn't throw around that phrase indiscriminately. Well, MY daughter might, but not the rest of the group.

Edited by JenCarroll
  • Love 12

Can someone tell me why couples are only aloud to side hug for hello and goodbye but they can side hug fans without it being an issue

It's all about gender. They're fine with the girls giving female fans full frontal hugs, but the girls must give their own father side hugs lest they defraud him. He is, after all, a horndog! Seriously though, that is just icky. I sure like to think my father has never thought twice about our hugs. But I wonder if they are aware that they could have defrauded any number of lesbian fans by this policy? :)

• Love 8

It's all about gender. They're fine with the girls giving female fans full frontal hugs, but the girls must give their own father side hugs lest they defraud him. He is, after all, a horndog! Seriously though, that is just icky. I sure like to think my father has never thought twice about our hugs. But I wonder if they are aware that they could have defrauded any number of lesbian fans by this policy? :)

I'm thinking "lesbian Duggar fans" is pretty much a contradiction in terms. ;-)

Just yesterday I sat down next to my dad on the sofa, and leaned on him, and he put an arm around my shoulder and kissed the top of my head. Now, we've known each other for very nearly 49 years and it hasn't been a problem YET, but I guess I'd better stop doing that. You know, in case I accidentally turn him into an 83 year old pervert and cause him to divorce my mom after 54 years. I'm so glad the Duggars are out there pointing out the errors of our ways, or who knows WHAT kind of defrauding could be happening!

• Love 8

What annoys me is the Duggar women telling the People stylists "no haircuts" when that's the one damn thing they all could use the most. Here you have professional people that do magazine shoots and you don't take advantage of it and at least get a good trim?

• Love 7
(edited)

I hope any fool who actually bought a gift bought it used and saved the difference.

eta:   I posted this before reading all the other comments, so I give credit to everyone who posted first :)

and.....I think it might be a great idea that for the next wedding all of us here send used gifts.  A wonderful old cooking pot with dinner remnants still in it.   A used hair brush.

Edited by Cherrio
  • Love 5

Did they register at a store with a completion discount?  I know friends who registered for ridiculous things because after the wedding the store gave 20% off anything left on the registry.  they never expected friends to buy them, but wanted the discount themsevles.

/Who am I kidding. it was a gift grab for the Duggars or the registry would have been private.

• Love 2

Poor Bubba and kitty (not sure of its name). I was hoping they had found better homes  by now.

I so wish I had been there when they deliberately hurt that cat.   I would of kicked Bin in the face, then hit the other one (cant remember who it was) with a truck.

Hate is not a strong enough word for how I feel about it.

• Love 2

Their so called modesty as we know when they film the births they have male camermen seeing and filming the Duggars in all their naked glory.

They could fix that with a side birth?

• Love 16