Type keyword(s) to search

19 Things I Hate About You: How the Duggars Infuriate

• Start Topic

I am convinced the church at home business is Boob's attempt to declare the TTH as a tax free structure. I don't think it's working though.

Oh I'm sure it is working for him.  If he can show that he uses certain portions of his house for filming and others for church- he's golden!  He probably can show that he uses about 75% of that house for TLC filming and who the heck knows about his Jim Jones church where everyone brings chili and TTC.  I think he is a very shrewd businessman. And damn if he can't pocket a dollar off of children that have no voice.

And another thing!!!  lol  The younger girls all need speech therapy - if nothing but to correct their R's.  Two of my children had it for free in K and 1st grade.  It made a world of difference in their speech and also their self being.  Clearly, none of the younger lost girls are getting that.  Heaven forbid they try and copy MEchelle.  

• Love 2

I think at one point they did use one of the rental homes as a church. I'm sure that's written off. But I think it's been a long time since they've had church in their actual home.

• Love 1

Didn't they debunk the rumor that their house is tax exempt because it's also their church? I'd have to dig for a link, and I totally believe that if they could legally claim it they would, but it's their primary residence first, and sporadically some of the space is used for church, so it didn't qualify as a place of worship for tax exemption status.

• Love 1

A few things come to mind: JB and his insistence that no one hug (not even siblings) in a forward manner and discussing "purity" and avoiding carnal urges, yet he has no problem saying things in front of his kids like "Does this turn you on?" when he grabs Michelle, or talking about having more kids except "either my or momma's plumbing might not be working."  Ugh.  And yeah, stop calling her Momma.

The video I saw online of Derick running over a cat while sledding really turned me off.  

I question whether any of the married Duggars really love (or like) their spouses.  The girls especially seem to view their husbands as sperm banks.  No aspirations other than having babies?

Jill and Derick have a great house considering he has a job but she doesn't.  And what does Ben do to make any money at all?

As for Josh and Anna, they are so boring.  Who really wants to hear Anna talk about things like this:  "So, it was really fun to watch Josh cook breakfast because he is a really good cook.  I really liked letting the kids get out of the car during our long trip because they needed to get some exercise.  I really was sad when I did a pregnancy test and 'we' weren't pregnant.  I took the kids to the library because it is great to let them look at books and enjoy the pictures!"

It's equivalent to watching paint dry.

• Love 10

KateHearts, you forgot such scintillating topics as "Bubba the dog gets a bath".  And what could possibly be boring about watching all the kids puking into styrofoam cups?  Or hearing them explain their courting rules 7 or 8 hundred times?  Or "kiss counts?"  Or watching Jboob dry hump Michelle?

I'd sooner watch paint dry!

• Love 3

I have a sister in law whom I haven't talked to since my husband died.  It made me crazy insane hearing "we're" pregnant, "we work at xyz company" when she was a SAHM, and "we are going to "our" high school reunion. They went to high schools 1500 miles apart and I'm sure he never graduated anyway.  So no I don't converse with her anymore.  My nerves can't stand it.  Dumb B….ch

• Love 2

Oh my god! I was googling why boob and mechelle always wear matching shirts and found the thread, I've read every page! The matching clothes as a family creep me out. I get matching for family photos but on a day to day basis? And boob being so obsessed with the sex lives of his children, such a pervert. Also, Derrick seems like he was on the short bus with that hair cut and beard. Jill acts like she's in a fairy tale with her marriage in pregnancy, ZOMG CONGRATS JILLY. I really thought Jessa would wait a while to have a baby, she seemed like she'd be the first of the married ones to want to be alone with her husband for a while. I'm still hoping Jana and Jinger find some real jobs and don't "catch" pregnancy as soon as they're marrked.

• Love 1

Oh the pity of the Honduran trip! Dumb Bob is such a idiot! Need I say more? To me he literally was making fun of their language. He wasn't really trying to speak the language they were trying to teach him. Hollering gringo and stupid crap was stupid. And of course while the family is in Honduras pricilla has to help Mechelle baby voice because she cant take care of the rest of the children alone? What the hell? She had all these children but needs help taking care of them by herself? I just have to say I can't stand her. And jason talking about the food and being downright rude to his hosts! Stupid is as stupid does! What a bunch of illiterate hillbilly nuts! Having the opportunity to visit a country and not appreciating the beautiful culture. The Mayan ruins what a treat to see. Bless little Jason what a shame he's so uneducated. And bless pricilla she's working like a dog for the queen bee Mechelle baby voice. With all the howlers running around like heathens. Bet she was glad to go home.... Rant over... I know I'm way behind on this duggettes show but I'm catching up just to see what stupid things they will do next. Wow!

• Love 2

You know, I've been thinking that a lot of Jim Bob's acting out is defensive -- you know, like a little kid. He's afraid that if he really tries to speak Spanish, he'll end up looking like an idiot, so he doesn't try. He goes for the comedy gold of trying to make Spanish-speaking people look dumb for speaking Spanish. His endless talking about his sex life (and *shudder* his kids') is a way of saying, "Hey, I may believe in purity, but I ain't no Puritan. I'm a modern guy with a healthy sex drive!" A form of anxious masculinity, or even anxious heterosexuality.

I think there's a lot of this paradigm in his life. He knows he's not as well -educated as a lot of people, so as soon as the conversation gets away from him he starts throwing in bible quotes. He can hold his own there. Basically, his fear of looking stupid leads him to act stupid.

• Love 17

You know, I've been thinking that a lot of Jim Bob's acting out is defensive -- you know, like a little kid. He's afraid that if he really tries to speak Spanish, he'll end up looking like an idiot, so he doesn't try. He goes for the comedy gold of trying to make Spanish-speaking people look dumb for speaking Spanish. His endless talking about his sex life (and *shudder* his kids') is a way of saying, "Hey, I may believe in purity, but I ain't no Puritan. I'm a modern guy with a healthy sex drive!" A form of anxious masculinity, or even anxious heterosexuality.

I think there's a lot of this paradigm in his life. He knows he's not as well -educated as a lot of people, so as soon as the conversation gets away from him he starts throwing in bible quotes. He can hold his own there. Basically, his fear of looking stupid leads him to act stupid.

And this is ultimately what holds him back, I think, from the things that he wants most - position, political power, authority, marriage prospects for his children, etc. Jim Bob will go for the cheap shot every time rather than close his mouth and let someone else take the moment, or think something through long enough to be thoughtful.

• Love 6

I've noticed that announcing the GENDER of the baby is paid way too much attention by this family.  It seems to be way overboard. How annoying is that. Would they be having that much drama over gender announcement if they weren't on tv?  I don't know.  Maybe, it's scripted, but it really has gotten old. 

Due to the duties older daughters are assigned, I now pray that all of the older kids are boys.  At least they have a chance to escape being moms and housekeepers by age 6. I wonder if Michelle would have had so many if her first 7 were boys.

• Love 8

I'd say the gender announcements were crazy, except everyone I know their age seems to do it too. It's more along the lines of the cake (M1) or piñata, (Isaiah) type stuff, so yeah, some of it is driven by TV, but not the concept. And does ANYONE out there call it a "sex reveal?" I've only ever heard it called a gender reveal, but then, I don't do stuff like this.

• Love 4

The true irony in all the gender-reveal stuff is that once the baby's born, no one's nearly as interested in him or her as they were when the gender was being speculated. So Smuggar and Anna's baby is a girl ... to Boob and MEchelle, that's a big so-what. We've seen how little interest they take in the grandkids; unless that baby's named Michelle, I think she'll quickly be regarded as just another in a huge kiddie pool.

• Love 1
(edited)

And if it is Michelle, she'll just be dumped into the "pool" a couple of weeks later. I honestly can't see Michelle working herself up over any grandchild, even a namesake, and she certainly not going to be sustaining any interest in her for any length of time.

Edited by JenCarroll
  • Love 5
(edited)

I'd say the gender announcements were crazy, except everyone I know their age seems to do it too. It's more along the lines of the cake (M1) or piñata, (Isaiah) type stuff, so yeah, some of it is driven by TV, but not the concept. And does ANYONE out there call it a "sex reveal?" I've only ever heard it called a gender reveal, but then, I don't do stuff like this.

I agree. While I think it's stupid and am very glad gender reveals were not in vogue when my friends were having babies, this is not a Duggar thing. This is a weird fad common with people their age. They didn't just invent this to have something to show on TV.

Edited by 3girlsforus
  • Love 2

I'm just glad I was able to see Sierra's epic fail of putting up a bunch of pink and blue flamingos in front of the Duggar homestead. What a pathetic excuse for a party planner. She apparently doesn't know the difference between a flamingo and a stork, nor does anyone else in that den of stupidity. The crew must have a great time recounting all the idiocy they witness over brews at the local watering hole at the end of a filming day. Oh, to be a fly on the wall.

• Love 7

I think reality TV actually started the gender reveal party trend, helped along by social media. I had never heard of it until Josh and Anna's first, but it's everywhere now.

Moved from the "Anna's Having a..." thread, because isn't this family's cheap-ass-ness on all our nerves? :)

I still believe that Josh and Anna are the only ones getting completely separate pay from TLC.

My question: Isn't the onus on TLC to issue a separate paycheck to anyone over 18? Or is that not how it works? I wouldn't think, once the kids are over 18, Boob would be able to dictate to a major corporation how they're to be compensated.

• Love 2

I'd like to see a we-don't-wanna-know party. Doesn't anyone like surprises?

Love this!  I think this is about the only type of "Gender Reveal" party that might be fun to plan, personally. The looks on peoples' faces would be priceless...

• Love 2

I think reality TV actually started the gender reveal party trend, helped along by social media. I had never heard of it until Josh and Anna's first, but it's everywhere now.

We have a number of 20- and early 30- something's in my husband's family and I have heard of these parties for quite awhile. I don't know when it actually started, but I heard about it in real life before reality-TV. I wouldn't doubt reality-TV has caused it to get even bigger, though. Maybe I'm a jerk for saying this but I mostly see it as a gift-grab. I feel like anyone who really cares that much wants to hear the news in person or via a phone call. The rest can wait til they see if the shower invite is pink or blue, or they meet the baby.

• Love 1

I see it as a social media invention, not reality TV. And yeah, as a gift grab. I've never personally fine to one because I can't wrap my head around buying three gifts for a baby.

• Love 1

Spot-on re Boob. He is - without a doubt - his own worst enemy.

• Love 3

I've been to what seems like a million gender reveal parties (we're Italian, any excuse for a family gathering and party), but it's usually just taking bets at boy or girl, and cutting into a cake or something at Sunday dinner. I've never, ever seen a gift registry or anyone mention a gift being required for a gender party. Do the Duggars even do that?

• Love 1

I see it as a social media invention, not reality TV. And yeah, as a gift grab. I've never personally fine to one because I can't wrap my head around buying three gifts for a baby.

Same here. I always kind of figure shower and newborn gift already, do we really need to add gender reveal party+gift? If I want to get that many gifts for a baby, it's usually one I want to spoil with gifts anyway (i.e. my niece), so I don't need an extra reason.

Razzleberrypie your experience with gender reveal parties sounds much more fun!  Make it part of a gathering you were probably going to have anyway, or an excuse to get together. My experience has been that the couples I've known were sure to register for the gender neutral items before the reveal party, and include registry information in the invitation. To be fair, I don't know which type the Duggars do. I'm sure theirs are a little weird because of filming, but I do hope they're generally more fun and informal.

• Love 1

I've never been to a gender reveal party- must be my age (52).

I do like the idea of an anti- gender reveal party. Just a party for party's sake, with no gifts.

I went to an anti- prom party instead of prom. Just a high school kegger but fun!

• Love 4

We could have had a "They couldn't really tell," party, I guess. But WHAT COLOR would the cupcakes be?

Green... although ew that might not be good. Hm, maybe that "Funfetti" cupcake mix?

• Love 2

The Duggars have that huge industrial dishwasher and they only ever eat off paper plates and drink out of Styrofoam. They snack constantly all over the house but never eat sit down home prepared meals. The food is all processed, even the instant oatmeal packets that little Jackson prepared for Jordyn's breakfast. The pantry contains HUGE boxes of paper plates and Styrofoam cups. The adult girls had obviously never handled/cooked meat before as demonstrated on the Home Theater parents dinner night.

• Love 6

I've never been to a gender reveal party- must be my age (52).

I do like the idea of an anti- gender reveal party. Just a party for party's sake, with no gifts.

I went to an anti- prom party instead of prom. Just a high school kegger but fun!

You must have grown up in California. I did that too!

• Love 2

The Duggars have that huge industrial dishwasher and they only ever eat off paper plates and drink out of Styrofoam. They snack constantly all over the house but never eat sit down home prepared meals. The food is all processed, even the instant oatmeal packets that little Jackson prepared for Jordyn's breakfast. The pantry contains HUGE boxes of paper plates and Styrofoam cups. The adult girls had obviously never handled/cooked meat before as demonstrated on the Home Theater parents dinner night.

That bugs me to no end. All those people, and doing the dishes can't be someone's "jurisdiction?" Think of all the garbage generated from decades of 20 people using styrofoam at every meal. I feel guilty breaking out paper plates for a big cookout, which is the only time I ever do. Speaking of which, they throw glass and metal cans right into the trash, which I admit I used to do, also living in a rural area without town pickup, but landfills now do have recycling centers. It would be nice if they'd set a good example by using them.

I think the biggest problem in the Home Theater parents dinner night episode was that Jessa's jurisdiction was never cooking. She didn't like it and her responsibilities were SOTDRT, organizing and laundry. So that's why she butchered the meat and the whole meal so badly. They eat plenty of processed crap but we know they do eat fresh meat.

• Love 5

Today what bugs me about these people is that I never see them do science experiments. As I sit here budgeting a large chunk of my homeschooling budget for a supply kit for my daughter's high school physics course (although not as bad as Chemistry or Biology was) it drives me nuts that they claim to homeschool and yet don't do any of the necessary things that constitute school. Imagine what they could do with a decent homeschooling budget, which clearly they would have if they so choose. 

• Love 7

Today what bugs me about these people is that I never see them do science experiments. As I sit here budgeting a large chunk of my homeschooling budget for a supply kit for my daughter's high school physics course (although not as bad as Chemistry or Biology was) it drives me nuts that they claim to homeschool and yet don't do any of the necessary things that constitute school. Imagine what they could do with a decent homeschooling budget, which clearly they would have if they so choose. 

But science is so SCARY!

• Love 4

http://www.duggarfamilyblog.com/2013/03/duggars-hooked-on-science.html

*cringe*

• Love 1

But science is so SCARY!

UGH - this bugs me too...I am a Christian and I know many scientific people who are Christians as well. I don't see how science and Christianity can be at odds. Why wouldn't you want to study and understand God's creation? To me the deeper the study of the world around us, the more amazing God becomes. There is a line in an episode of the tv show Numb3rs where a character is referring to this and he says something to the effect of 'How else would a creator reveal himself but through his creation.' To me the incredible order and complexity of the world around us just screams of the glory of God. To watch other Christians denounce or at least diminish the beauty of science really irritates me.

• Love 18

*cringe* is right. When I see them do dissections and watch the high schoolers learn to use a titrator, then I will believe they do experiments. Sure the stuff for young kids can be silly and fun. We've done the mentos in a soda bottle and built a volcano but there are also great experiments for young kids that are more educational and really leave an impression on the kids. With so many close in age they could do things as a group and get a lot out of a little investment. 

• Love 2

So they had a "celebrity" come in and do experiments -- all the kids together, all ages doing the same thing -- and now they can check that off. "Oh yes, we're wonderful homeschoolers because we bring real scientists in to spend all day doing hands-on work with the kids! OK, it was just that one day in 2013, but they learned all the science! They said on the news that the Duggar kids are budding scientists! How dare anyone suggest that we're not dedicated homeschoolers?"

We did not homeschool and we still did science experiments at home.

• Love 5

As a DC resident, it annoys me when they say Josh and Anna moved to DC. Josh and Anna live in Maryland. Period.

Yes, for some reason this picky little point really bothers me too. I don't know why - maybe because I just like things to be accurate. But Josh's office is in the only thing that connects Duggars to DC, period. They should be saying "We're on our way back to Maryland now..." or maybe even just "We're on our way home..." Why does the location have to be mentioned each and every time? It's just as goofy as when every segment of every episode was getting that "So, I'm engaged to DerickDillard..." prefix attached to it.

• Love 5
(edited)

Yes, for some reason this picky little point really bothers me too. I don't know why - maybe because I just like things to be accurate. But Josh's office is in the only thing that connects Duggars to DC, period. They should be saying "We're on our way back to Maryland now..." or maybe even just "We're on our way home..." Why does the location have to be mentioned each and every time? It's just as goofy as when every segment of every episode was getting that "So, I'm engaged to DerickDillard..." prefix attached to it.

I usually told people I was from DC, while I only worked in the District and lived in Northern VIrginia.  When you are there you understand what's meant by The Beltway and covered by the Greater Washington Area, but people who haven't sat in that traffic or priced that housing certainly don't get the geography.

Edited by kassygreene

You generally live in "the District" but work "in DC." That's how I find most of us who have been around the area can tell who actually lives there vs the commuters. (I've been both.)

• Love 2
(edited)

Hey, just because everyone's doing it, doesn't mean it's not crazy! Similarly, just because the Duggars do it doesn't mean it is crazy (although obviously the crazy chances are increased). I don't think they're crazy, just -- as this episode clearly depicted -- boring.

Edited by JenCarroll
  • Love 6