Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E11: The Proposal

People.com has a clip of Derrick's proposal ("Jill's Surprise") from tonight's episode.  http://www.people.com/article/jill-duggar-derick-dilard-engagement-video#vid and I call foul.  There is no way she didn't know what was happening. 

I'd even buy it when the guy started singing, but when the other two guys come over and started harmonizing and playing their own instruments, she doesn't even blink. A normal person who was actually being surprised would have reacted in some way

That being said, it is very cute (much better than Josh and his balloon for Anna) and I do think that are a good fit.

• Love 1
(edited)

I thought the engagement episode was really very sweet.  They just seem genuinely in love.  Yes, a lot of it seemed staged, particularly the wedding dresses, and the scene where Derick asked Jim Boob for Jill's hand (oh, Jim Boob didn't know yet that Derick had a new job?), but I still liked seeing them together.  Call me a sap.

Other thoughts:  Did you see that Derick's mom wore pants the whole time? 

What was up with Josie?  It looked like she was swatting flies during the talking head.  Poor thing.

I finally realized who Jessa reminds me of:  April Ludgate on Parks and Recreation.  She has the same sly, snarky look.

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 2
(edited)

Well, I have a cold dark heart because I found the staged proposal boring. Was Derrick nervous or just talks s l o w l y... I found it interesting that Mullet talk about Jill being a wife but not a mother. Feeling a little jealous there sweetie.

I felt bad for his mother when Mullet was talking to her. I would have slap the shit out of her if she talk to me with her bug eyes and baby talk. I got the feeling she was not too happy about her son's future in-laws.

Edited by bigskygirl

It's been confirmed on the interwebz that Jerick will be living in the house Boob bought where they found the kittens. Pictures of the layout and molding (and black kitchen tile) match up with screen shots from the episode in which the house was featured. Interesting fact, Boob bought the place in 2012 for $95k (on 20 acres!), renovated, and put it back on the market for $1.5 mil. No takers, so it was off the market 6 months after it was put up for sale. I assume Jerick's rent will be minimal, since mortgage payments are on the lower amount. Or if he paid cash, they might only have to pony up for the taxes (which might be a problem now that improvements have been made to the real property as well as the land).

Back to the episode, I am convinced that TLC found that musician. Here is a sample of his other music. Totally NOT Duggar-approved! NIKE!!! The ironic juxtoposition is actually genius.

In the little girls' talking head at the end, I thought it looked like Josie was told to be quiet, so she used those dumb arm movements as a way of getting attention. I think that Josie is used to being the center of attention.

• Love 2

How rude of Jill to take that chat in the middle of a book signing. TLC certainly could have filmed these momentous lunch plans at pretty much any other time of the day. Heck, five minutes before the signing would have worked. People drive long distances and wait in long lines for a few seconds of interaction with these people they worship. I'm sorry, but that was damn disrespectful.

• Love 5

I see PANTS! On a WOMAN! Go Derick's Mom! And I do like that SHE was the teary eyed one after the announcement to the family, while Mullet was her typical high voiced, bug eyed self. Mullet HAS to be medicated, right?  Poor Jill, when she announces to the family that she's expecting (unfortunately, probably this fall). Mullet will be in the kitchen with Jenny and the knives. That woman can't be truly happy for anyone but herself.  And WTF, suggesting to your daughters who aren't even engaged yet, to try on wedding dresses. Staged? Was it actually filmed AFTER the proposal? Because if it wasn't, if I were Jessa and Jill, I'd be telling Mom to back off and not jinx anything (which Jessa pretty much did). Not to mention that if it WAS filmed before the proposal, but after Derick asked Jim Boob for Jill's hand, that means that selfish Michelle is a piss poor secret keeper. "Oh don't worry....I won't tell Jill what Derick asked...but hey, let's go try on WEDDING DRESSES, Jill!"  WTF? 

TLC plant, or not, that song at the end with photos of Jill and Derick, got to me.  He was sooo nervous. And DAMN IT ALL...KISS HIM, JILL. There were way too many times that a kiss would have been acceptable and appropriate. It's just weird NOT to kiss him. 

And because it needs to be said: FREE JANA. 

• Love 3

I notice the lack of excitement about the engagement. I saw more excitement at the dentist office while waiting for a root canal. Will Mullet give Jill a talk about what to expect on her wedding night.

The book tour started in NYC at the beginning of March. The proposal was 3/29 (all Duggar social media confirmed this, plus Jill joined the ranks of the unwashed masses that day as Jill Dillard). Someone looked up the bridal shop and it is on 2nd Ave between 57th and 58th, on the second floor of a building. So, not a place they would have just randomly strolled by, especially now that they're filming GMA in Times Square and no longer doing the Today Show at 30 Rock (closer to the actual bridal shop).

So yeah, totes staged.

(edited)

I liked Nepal Derrick better than Arkansas Derrick. He seemed much more self-assured and wordly when he lived on his own on the other side of the globe. He was probably just nervous about proposing, but he seemed unconfident, stumbling for words and fixated on hairspray.

If my daughter dates a guy for three months, I'll have to remember to take her to a bridal shop. That was an odd scene. I was hoping the dress shop lady would shoot Michelle a New Yorker's WTF look when she babbled about having nineteen kids. And yep, like they didn't know who they were when they showed up for a shopping trip with camera and sound guys.

Michelle had a lot of bug-eyed looks this episode. Is that a side effect of her anti-depressants.

The hand sex has started. I didn't realize you could grope someone's fingers with yours, but apparently so.

Josie's issues were apparent tonight. She doesn't appear to be interactive or engaged with people. Please get that kid evaluated, Duggars.

Edited by NJRach
  • Love 2

I like that Jill hesitated to use the word modest when talking about the wedding dress and simply said a dress she would feel more comfortable wearing. I think she is inherently nonjudgmental, rather then being told not to judge as a good Christian value.

• Love 6
(edited)

I like to roll my eyes at the Duggars as much as the next heathen snarker but I'll be darned if I didn't tear up for Jill. I obviously knew it was coming and that she's been engaged since March, but I am a big softy! That song montage at the end absolutely destroyed me. I remember watching the first Duggar special when I was very young so I kind of feel like we've grown together. I had a similar sister-mom upbringing so I feel a sense of camaraderie with these girls. Jill deserves all of the happiness in the world and I think Derrick is an awesome match for what she needs.

I really hope that Derrick's family influences her more than the other way around. He seems to be extremely aware of what Jill likes and what the Duggars expect. He's trying very hard to play by the rules. I liked that his mom was so emotional about their engagement and that she said "I'm glad to have a daughter." Michelle's reaction to that was interesting, like she remembered that while she hoards children, others don't have daughters to pass off onto others or overwork. I hope Cathy shows Jill what it's like to have a true mother-daughter relationship. I hope she enjoys being a daughter who gets to be spoiled!

Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 4

I really liked the episode overall. I did think quite a bit of it felt staged or re-enacted, but I get a sense of actual connection between Jill and Derick. I did like him better in Nepal, but I still like him. I was practically jumping up and down when they <gasp> held hands in addition to their recent hug! Crazy kids!  :)  I loved that his Mom mostly wore pants too.

Josie was freaking me out a little towards the end. Was she ok?  It looked like she was swatting a bug and then possibly ate it.

• Love 3

For a second when I saw those guys in the park or square I was scared it was John David and some of the older boys and we were about to get more dinner theater or worse one of their "funny" tricks. The proposal and song was nice, it was obviously TLC idea, but considering the Duggars' ideas on being creative with things, I'll take TLC's instead. 

I really wish Michelle was capable of normal human emotions because that looked nothing like a mother taking her daughters to look at wedding dresses. All I could think of the whole time they were in that bridal shop is how it should have been so much fun, their should have been tears and hugs. Even if you go just for fun with your daughter who is dating or courting someone there's usually emotions. Like seeing your daughter in a wedding dress and realizing this could be it. Or just seeing your little girl all grown up trying on wedding dresses. My mother would be crying and probably telling stories of when I was five years old or stories of her going to look at wedding dresses with her mother. That should have been a real fun experience for Michelle and her daughters. When you compare that to Derick and Cathy when he was getting ready and leaving to go propose, it made me feel really sorry for Jill. And for the rest of the girls. They'll never have that. 

• Love 3

I like Jill and Derick.  And I liked that he asked for Jinger and JoyAnna to go along as chaperones.  I was afraid it would be one of the boys.  Especially nice to see JoyAnna get to go out and eat a nice lunch without a bunch of screaming howlers.

I thought the whole bit with Jill acting like she didn't know what was going on, and what she would say if he did ask, was a little much.  Then when he so sweetly popped the question, she said "Yes, totally."  She sounds so young to me.  They are all so stunted in their language and emotional development.  I hope that Derick's mom really takes this girl under her wing.  She seems like a really nice lady.

I also caught the previous episode with the "dinner theater."  Oh my word!  And Josie sitting there chanting "dinna theeter" sounded more like my not-quite-two year old granddaughter than a four-year-old.  I just hate when Michelle says, "she's so healthy and perfectly normal."  She's not, Michelle.  Please face facts and get that little girl the help she needs.  The world doesn't revolve around Michelle!

• Love 1

Did JimBob tell Michelle to be quiet when Jill and Derick walked in to make their announcement? I swear he told her to shut up when she started babbling about seeing someone is holding hands, therefore ruining the announcement. 

• Love 7

Did JimBob tell Michelle to be quiet when Jill and Derick walked in to make their announcement? I swear he told her to shut up when she started babbling about seeing someone is holding hands, therefore ruining the announcement. 

I noticed Michelle had to make the announcement for them.  She immediately started yelling "someone is holding hands…".  What a selfish woman.  I also noticed Anna giving the stink eye after the announcement (odd that she was there).

• Love 5
(edited)

I also wondered why Josh and Anna were siting on the sofa in this episode. It looked like they live around the corner and popped in, instead of fifteen hours away. Seriously, has Smuggar ever worked an entire week? He's only been working there a year, and you don't (or the rest of us) don't get weeks and weeks of vacation time at first.

Edited by NJRach
  • Love 3
I was hoping the dress shop lady would shoot Michelle a New Yorker's WTF look when she babbled about having nineteen kids. And yep, like they didn't know who they were when they showed up for a shopping trip with camera and sound guys.

And somehow there were already cameras INSIDE the shop as the girls were coming in. Why the pretense? You could even just say it was Michelle's idea (as opposed to the producers), rather than the whole "Oh, look what we just happen to be walking by... a bridal shop! Let's go on in, shall we?" I miss half of these scenes as I'm rolling my eyes at the extreme fakery.

Derick is the sweetest thing! Love him and his modern Masters holder of a mother!!

Jill is lucky to have found him.

The trying on wedding dresses totally inappropriate.

My daughter came into the room and said, "Oh mom that woman is on something" she was talking about Mullett of course with her bug eyes and baby voice. Please stay home the day of Jill's wedding no one wants an attentionwhore to steal the show.

And ITA FREE Jana.

• Love 1

I think Jill found a loop hole with the side hug only rule.

I've noticed that when Jill and Derrick hug that Jill takes her other arm, and turns into Derrick to wrap that arm around him.

To me, totally normal, but to the Duggars, probably pushing the limits.

• Love 3

And I hope that Modern Master's Mom was serious when she said that she was going to "spoil" Jill, since she'll finally have a daughter. Please do! Take her under your wing. Show her that PANTS! are not immodest. Talk to her about taking some nursing classes at a community college and how important a real education is. Your son obviously thought so. His wife should also get that opportunity (that was denied to her by her birth parents). 

And that wedding dress that Jill tried on did nothing for her figure. Jill is tall and slender. That dress made her look short and dumpy. No bueno. 

Count me in with the "shut up, Michelle" crowd when she started calling out the hand holding while Derick was trying to make the announcement. Everyone can see that they're holding hands. Let Derick and Jill have their moment! Even Jim Boob "got" that. 

Is Derick's brother younger than him? He looks like he can't believe what his brother is marrying into. Jill is the sweetest girl ever and is totally devoted to Derick (like TOTALLY), but the family baggage? Oy!

• Love 1

Mullet's bug-eyed look - probably a result of the pace they kept that day. Rode the bus all of the previous day, spent the night in Jersey, woke up to the flu making the rounds, drove through the tunnel to NYC, filmed Good Morning America, then went to the wedding gown store for more filming. She probably had been up for twelve hours by then. Plus NYC is soooo exhausting - you must dodge people and cars all day, and some pushy person is always at your heels.

By the time she found that chair (extremely hard to come by in NYC), she probably collapsed into it and zoned out. Then when the camera rolled, she had to say her lines, but was in a zombie-like state. 

She's 48, how the heck can they expect to keep up this ridiculous pace? I can't even imagine getting back on the bus the next day for a town-a-day book tour. They exist in a very weird realm.

The family has been Today Show regulars for years.  If memory serves, all the birth announcements were made there.  Can someone enlighten me as to why this is no longer the case.  Thanks.

• Love 1

When Derrick and his mom hugged, I thought "now that is what a mom/son hug should be".  None of this uncomfortable looking side hugging JB and Michelle do with their children.  How on earth can they find anything sexual about frontal hugs among family members?   

You can tell that Derrick and Cathy are very close, and I hope she will have that closeness with Jill so the girl can see what a real mother/daughter relationship can be like.   

• Love 1
(edited)

I am happy for Jill.  I wish her and Derrick the best.  Like others on the forum I hope that Derrick's mom helps to bring her 'out' a little in terms of continuing her education.

I hated the wedding gown sequence.  When my daughter selected her gown I went with her and her bridesmaids.  She tried on abut six or so gowns and I was doing two things.  The first was biting my tongue so I wouldn't try to influence her one way or another--it was HER wedding.  And the second was fighting back tears, while the girls chattered and laughed around her.  Luckily she selected the gown that I liked best without much input from me!  But she would have looked gorgeous in anything.  As for modesty, I hope they don't alter a gown like they did Michelle's for their vow renewal.  Kate Middleton had a beautiful gown that was quite modest, but modern at the same time. 

Finally, you go Jessa.  No gown try ons until the ring is on your finger!

Edited by Ilovemylabs
  • Love 2
And that wedding dress that Jill tried on did nothing for her figure. Jill is tall and slender. That dress made her look short and dumpy. No bueno.

Thought she looked....old?  Not sure if that's the right word.  But, not good.

(edited)

And I hope that Modern Master's Mom was serious when she said that she was going to "spoil" Jill, since she'll finally have a daughter. Please do! Take her under your wing. Show her that PANTS! are not immodest. Talk to her about taking some nursing classes at a community college and how important a real education is. Your son obviously thought so. His wife should also get that opportunity (that was denied to her by her birth parents). 

Count me in with the "shut up, Michelle" crowd when she started calling out the hand holding while Derick was trying to make the announcement. Everyone can see that they're holding hands. Let Derick and Jill have their moment! Even Jim Boob "got" that. 

Is Derick's brother younger than him? He looks like he can't believe what his brother is marrying into. Jill is the sweetest girl ever and is totally devoted to Derick (like TOTALLY), but the family baggage? Oy!

Jill should become her own person on her own without Derick or his mom being the one who has to bring out the best in her. She is going from being a sister mommy, and one of the nineteen kids in a dog and pony show because of her famewhoring parents to being a wife and one day, a mother in a short period of time. The poor girl does not have her own identity at the age of 23. I hate for her to be totally devoted to Derick and not have her own interests and life outside of being married and motherhood. Let her make her own choices and not become dependent on her husband and mother-in-law.

Edited by bigskygirl

This episode bored me to tears, mostly because of the blatant scripting and staging. Jill obviously knew way back that the proposal was coming, otherwise why such a big emphasis on The Lunch Date To End All Lunch Dates? They'd been out a million times before, so why would this one be any different?

I agree Nepal Derick is much better than Arkansas Derick. His nerves were understandable, but he took on that dorky, mush-mouthed affect we've seen in the Duggar kids for years.

Anna totally had her bitch-face on during the announcement! Her, Smuggs and the 3M's are soon to be old news!

Finally, can we please get Josie a crash helmet already? Seriously, what the hell is wrong with that kid? During her TH, I was picturing Jana standing off camera dangling a shiny object back and forth to keep her distracted.

• Love 1

What bugged me about the 3 month thing is that I believe, they were saying Jill/Derrick had been courting for 3 months.  But they've been talking every day via phone/skype much longer than that.  Granted, still quick by today's standards.  But none of these girls are going to have three year courtships followed by year long engagements. 

I love how the two of them looked like they were barely able to keep themselves from kissing/hugging during the song.  So sweet.  But goodness you two, get a room with that hand holding! I don't know what it is about the Duggars and the hand holding, but I felt this way about Josh/Anna too.  It seems so intimate.  Like I feel like I'm violating their privacy watching them hold hands. 

• Love 1

How can Jill really know if Derick is "slow to anger" based on their current interactions?  They are in the early stages of a relationship and are never alone.  It usually take a while before that first fight and typically it is when no one else is around.

• Love 4

Jill knows nothing about Derrick. How can she know him on a one to one level, if there are always people there? If Boob and Mullet don't trust their adult children to hold hands, how come they can dry  hump, and PDA whenever they want? Oh, wait. They're married. Big freaking deal. Dating is supposed to be fun. 

• Love 1

So much WORD to so many of the posts above. Love this forum.

1. My cold, hard heart melted, too, when the photos were shown at the end of the episode. Jill represents Boob and Michelle’s best work, for sure. I think she is a genuinely good, kind, loving person, and I think she and Derick have a genuine and loving connection. But, yes, kids – please, just kiss. You know you want to.

2. I, too, giggled at the “bulge in my pants” remark. Poor, nerdy Derick. Bless mom Cathy’s heart for letting that one pass.

3. Speaking of, I love the relationship between Derick and his mom. So natural and loving. Take notes, Michelle; that’s the kind of relationship that can evolve when you know your kids’ names, spend time with them, and maybe even kiss and hug them.

4. Go away, Smuggar and Anna; this wasn’t your d*mned episode. But did anyone else notice when Smuggar came into the room and said one of the M kids was puking and wouldn’t be going on the tour? Michelle didn’t even look up. Grandma of the Year.

5. Back to Cathy … yay, pants. And yay to her remark about spoiling Jill. I see shopping trips, spa visits, and encouragement about higher education in that girl’s future. One can only hope.

6. Also, yay to Cathy for pointing out that the Duggars aren’t the only ones who raise their kids according to a certain “instruction manual.” You can be a Christian and not be nuts.

• Love 5

I think Josie is on the autism spectrum. My son has autism and the way she was flapping around and super-focusing on her hands was a red flag for me. Early intervention is he way to go, and I don't think that she's getting any services.

• Love 2

Boy, just leave it to that Michael. I mean, the NERVE of that kid to contract the flu the night before the Duggars' big GMA appearance! Doesn't he know they're kind of a big deal? What a horrible, inconsiderate child!

Seriously, I felt bad that nobody seemed concerned about HIM. It was all about how it will affect everyone else's day. Like the poor kid spent the night puking his guts out as part of some devious, mastermind scheme to thwart the Duggars' famewhoring.

• Love 1

Duggars way of life is Yourself first, Others last, and no one after. It's all about the fame for them. Why would anyone care about Michael? He's over the age that J'Chelle cares about. Maybe Anna is going down the same road. 

Something looked off with Jessa last night.  Not sure if it was the bangs...does she normally have bangs?  Or her complexion.  Either way, never been a fan of hers.  Jinger, never really a fan of hers either.  But, does she ever get to talk in the talking heads?  

God this family is weird as shit.

• Love 1

Jessa's bangs were new and her hair was dyed lighter, which quite frankly, washed her out. People with olive-toned complexions look better with a darker, richer hair color.

Ljohnson1987, so true. I've been watching the show long enough to know that the Duggars can't be expected to think of others' suffering when their own needs are so important!

Something looked off with Jessa last night.  Not sure if it was the bangs...does she normally have bangs?  Or her complexion.  Either way, never been a fan of hers.  Jinger, never really a fan of hers either.  But, does she ever get to talk in the talking heads?  

God this family is weird as shit.

I think it was a combination of the two.  Her bangs were styled differently and she either had minimal makeup on or none at all 

I don't mean to snark about Josie if it is autism, but she really does need to get evaluated.  In the TH she was babbling so loud I couldn't even hear what Jennifer and Hannie were saying.  Again, when Derek came over to talk to JB, Jose was screaming I could barely hear JB speak and then when the camera turned to Derek the screetching from Josie stopped - someone must have said CUT, calmed her screeching down, then turned the cameras back on Derick (this was before they moved to the couch to talk).

So happy for Jill and Derick!!

• Love 1
(edited)

Jill was dressed to the 9s for her "random" lunch date. LOL And then later, the sun was shining through her white skirt and I could see the outline of her legs. NIKE!!!

Jill seems like a hopeless romantic to the core...she was probably one of those girls who played "bride" with the sheets on laundry day. I think she was dying to try on a real bridal gown. But that thing was as fugly as all get-out and made her look like a lump. And, puh-leez, on the layers under it.....but I noticed the top was flesh-toned, which seemed like it was planned for the (staged) bridal shop drop-in. Hahaha on bitchy Jessa....didn't want to participate, but knows exactly what she wants. And was suddenly the authority on Jill's also.

It took me a few minutes to realize that Derick's mom was not Dr. Jen's mom from The Little Couple...thought they were doing a cross-over episode. But I love that  she's crazy over Jill. So sweet. I think Derek is adorkable, and I like the mom, so I'm probably never going to have it in me to snark on either of them. The hair product was much higher quality than JB's gooey crap. And Derick said it still wasn't the one Jill recommended. (Those girls love their Pinterest ideas. Yeah. Like totally.)

In the flashbacks....they were meeting Derick in the airport and there was a shot of Josie holding Derick's finger....now, was this a reenactment and Josie already knew him...or does she do that type of thing with strangers? If so.....creepy. And she can throw kisses around nilly-willy ( giving away pieces of her heart), AND hand-hold??? Guess rules don't apply to Princess Preemie. And yes, she is famewhore Mullett in training.

And JB, can't you come out and say that Derick has a degree and ask him what his job will be ....on camera????? Can't get shown up, huh? Geez.

Edited by drafan