Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E11: The Proposal

I haven't gotten the "famewhore" vibe from Derick or Ben, but I can see how someone might want to court a Duggar just to be on TV.

Bin screamed famewhore to me since the first Talking Head.  Derrick not so much. 

• Love 4

I get the impression it's Bin's parents who are the famewhores, and possibly kind of pushed him into this. But I don't think he's complaining - I bet he finds Jessa smoking hot.

• Love 1

Speaking of which, I read the interest part on the website. Their parents would be happy if Ben and Jessa get married and have a big family. I guess they need to keep the TLC gravy train production running for many more years to come. I wonder who came up with that tidbit.

I think Ben's parents were the driving force behind him courting Jessa, but he eventually caught the famewhore bug and loves the idea of scoring the "hot" Duggar daughter.

It's weird because I've always preferred Derick over Ben, but now I'm not so sure. I loved Derick in Nepal, but now that he's back in Arkansas he's become very Duggar-ish, if that makes any sense.

• Love 4

Right?  I mean, I've seen stuff on wedding registries for friends and I'll be looking at the list all like, "Nope.  I'm not buying your scented candles, playing cards or camping equipment."  Seriously, a wedding registry is supposed to be about the basics of setting up a house: towels, sheets, utensils, dishes, etc.  The gall that some people have to think I'd want to foot the bill for their recreational stuff is just beyond me.  But then, I'm old, so what do I know?

• Love 5

Right? I mean, I've seen stuff on wedding registries for friends and I'll be looking at the list all like, "Nope. I'm not buying your scented candles, playing cards or camping equipment." Seriously, a wedding registry is supposed to be about the basics of setting up a house: towels, sheets, utensils, dishes, etc. The gall that some people have to think I'd want to foot the bill for their recreational stuff is just beyond me. But then, I'm old, so what do I know?

I am incapable of being surprised by the entitlement demonstrated by brides to be. I accompanied a good friend (who's wedding I was in) as she completed her registry. She and her fiancé already lived together in a house at this point. As she happily added the most expensive items, she explained that she already had everything that she needed, and she was now "trading up". She followed this by moving the destination of her wedding from Chicago to Las Vegas, and I paid through the nose for the pleasure of being her bridesmaid. Such self-involved people.

• Love 6

These items on this silly wedding registry are blowing me away. I agree that this registry is for setting up staples of a household. I think my ethnical background probably has it as the most practical....these items that we see on Jill's WEDDING registry are items that family and friends give the bride at her bridal SHOWER, the closer to the bride that you are, family, friend, etc., you choose the more expensive items, etc. In my New York Italian tradition, money (cash, checks) are given at the wedding in the bridal purse as your "gift". With cash, the couple can fill in things that were omitted at the shower and have a financial start in life together. I still would like to know if JimBob has to give the prospective husbands a dowry for Jill; that's separate from any money SHE earned on the TV show; that should have been hers from the get go. JimBob has obligated himself through his religious interpretation of God's will to support his daughters and he doesn't give them a choice in education, or training for any kind of work, so he should support them completely while single and at home...

• Love 2
(edited)

I am incapable of being surprised by the entitlement demonstrated by brides to be. I accompanied a good friend (who's wedding I was in) as she completed her registry. She and her fiancé already lived together in a house at this point. As she happily added the most expensive items, she explained that she already had everything that she needed, and she was now "trading up". She followed this by moving the destination of her wedding from Chicago to Las Vegas, and I paid through the nose for the pleasure of being her bridesmaid. Such self-involved people.

I hear you.  Times certainly are changing.  I had a boss who was getting married.  It was her first marriage, however she had a beautifully furnished condo.  For the groom, it was his second marriage and he had a lovely home.  They had been together 10 years but never lived together and were planning to buy a home to live in together aftet the wedding.  Looking at their gift registries, it was obvious they picked out items for the new home, but I sort of had that "Do they really need all this stuff" thought the entire time.

Considering how young and sheltered the J'Slaves are, I am not suprised they have things like Fruit Loops and camping gear on the registry.  Maybe they plan to live in a tent in Equatorial Guinea after the wedding since they have a heart for mission work?  

Edited by MrMattyMatt
  • Love 1

Jim Bob is such a bad actor.  He knew very well that Derick had a job offer, and was taking it.  That would have already been one of the group texts/phone calls. 

That part was so fake! Boob asked Derrick how he was going to support Jill, and Derrick said he had a job offer he was considering. Boob asked no questions about the job offer at all. Just the mention of a job offer was supposedly enough for Boob to be convinced Derrick could support Jill?   We are supposed to believe that Boob would allow one of his daughters to get engaged to someone with no income and only an undefined and unaccepted job offer?

Here's a novel idea for these religious people to put on their wedding registry: donations to a charity in honor of the happy couple.

A friend who got married at age 36 and had everything she needed did that. She and her DH listed picture frames, gardening supplies, an environmental charity, and a children's charity on their registry.

I'm still waiting and waiting and waiting to see this clan do something charitable for others. And by "others" I mean people who aren't already connected with them and who actually need help.

• Love 5

The Duggars don't seem charity minded unless it's a photo op or episode plot.  I've always wondered if they take a collection at the services they lead and what happens to that money.

A relative married recently and didn't need much for the new home they bought together so had two very small registries and no showers.  Some of the guests did something I'd never thought about doing.  They bought gift cards for the restaurant where the reception was held providing either help paying for the reception or a future dinner at a restaurant the couple liked. 

• Love 2

Oh, that reminds me of the other thing I've seen on some gift registries:  gift cards to restaurants!  SERIOUSLY!?  How about doing why the hubby and I did when we were first married, and in grad school, and EAT AT HOME EVERY DAY because it was all we could afford.  Grrr. 

Topic?  Yeah, were there any restaurant gift cards on the registry?  I looked at it a while ago but I don't remember.  Also, isn't the wedding this weekend?

Seriously?!!  Who puts FOOD on a wedding registry?

I actually had some friends who registered for all kinds of goofy stuff as a joke.  They had normal things too but they also registered for food, toilet paper, cleaning supplies, etc. In their case it was funny, and everyone got a good laugh when they went shopping. With the Duggars, somehow I'm having a hard time seeing it as a joke though.

I actually had some friends who registered for all kinds of goofy stuff as a joke.  They had normal things too but they also registered for food, toilet paper, cleaning supplies, etc. In their case it was funny, and everyone got a good laugh when they went shopping. With the Duggars, somehow I'm having a hard time seeing it as a joke though.

That is funny!  I'd be the one to buy them the toilet paper!

• Love 1

Didn't they wrap up rolls of TP in colored tissue as party favors for Anna's baby shower or maybe it was the wedding shower. I thought that was oddly practical and one of the boys shockingly got instruction on how to set the colored tissue pieces on the diagonal for that extra touch of class. Yes, TP is truly taken to the next level in that family and must be respected.

• Love 2

Didn't they wrap up rolls of TP in colored tissue as party favors for Anna's baby shower or maybe it was the wedding shower. I thought that was oddly practical and one of the boys shockingly got instruction on how to set the colored tissue pieces on the diagonal for that extra touch of class. Yes, TP is truly taken to the next level in that family and must be respected.

They weren't party favors.  They were weights for helium balloons.

Oh, that reminds me of the other thing I've seen on some gift registries:  gift cards to restaurants!  SERIOUSLY!?  How about doing why the hubby and I did when we were first married, and in grad school, and EAT AT HOME EVERY DAY because it was all we could afford.  Grrr. 

Topic?  Yeah, were there any restaurant gift cards on the registry?  I looked at it a while ago but I don't remember.  Also, isn't the wedding this weekend?

I got a wedding announcement once asking for gift cards only and a list of stores to get them from. I thought that was really tacky. My mom refused to put the registry info in my announcement (it's good etiquette to leave it according to her and I can't say I disagree) and just told people who inquired where we were registered.

I'm also kind of perplexed as to why J'Chelle and JB don't just give Jill and Derrick some of their cups, plates, and silverware. From what we have seen they are using mostly styrofoam these days. I'm sure they could give them a set of 8 place settings and free up some of the registry for more important things, like a blender or pots and pans. 

• Love 1

Seriously?!!  Who puts FOOD on a wedding registry?

My newly-married daughter and her husband just got a coupon from Target offering them a nice discount on any as-yet unpurchased registry items that they buy for themselves by such-and-such date. They were excited because they'd put a much-needed printer on the registry but no one had bought if for them. They said if they'd known the coupon was coming, they'd have put groceries and other day-to-day necessities on the registry.  I wonder if Jill and other savvy young brides have been tipped off that Target does this and are putting everyday items on their registries to get after-wedding discount?

• Love 1

My newly-married daughter and her husband just got a coupon from Target offering them a nice discount on any as-yet unpurchased registry items that they buy for themselves by such-and-such date.

I think most stores do that now.  I know it resulted in a couple of my kids putting some things on the registry that they didn't expect anyone to buy for them so they could use the discount later. 

I think most stores do that now. 

Argh, why am I always the last to know?

While Jill seems like a nice girl, I don't think we could call her savvy. They may have stumbled upon this in their naive zeal. Or maybe Cathy gave her some insight into how this works.

Did I say "savvy"? I meant "cheap."

My newly-married daughter and her husband just got a coupon from Target offering them a nice discount on any as-yet unpurchased registry items that they buy for themselves by such-and-such date. They were excited because they'd put a much-needed printer on the registry but no one had bought if for them. They said if they'd known the coupon was coming, they'd have put groceries and other day-to-day necessities on the registry.  I wonder if Jill and other savvy young brides have been tipped off that Target does this and are putting everyday items on their registries to get after-wedding discount?

No offense, but seriously? Someone put a printer on their wedding registry? Why?

• Love 2

Interesting. I had no idea stores were doing this now either, but it makes sense. Maybe my friends who registered for food and toilet paper weren't just being funny... maybe they were getting a discount!

No offense, but seriously? Someone put a printer on their wedding registry? Why?

They're both entering grad school in the fall, and I think their reasoning was "what the heck, it's a practical household item." I tried not to get too bent out of shape. At least their registry didn't include video games, as my niece's did!

• Love 1

I know this is a dumb question, but if the book tour was for the girls to promote their book, why did EVERYBODY have to appear on GMA? Especially Josh and Anna and their family. Such a waste of time and money.

The girls need to being their children with them --they're working mothers. Josh and Anna probably came for the free trip and the opportunity to hand their kids off to one of their aunties while they go bang in a hotel room or eat at the Olive Garden on Times Square.
  • Love 2
(edited)

Did anyone else see the Derick practice proposal on the Duggars Blog page? I guess Mullet has to be the center of attention no matter what. Btw, is Derick talking s l o w l y because he is nervous or does he usually talk like that.

Edited by bigskygirl

Why am I watching this show? This is what happens when the baseball game you planned on watching gets postponed due to rain...So I watched the proposal...first, they seem like a cute couple. He seems like a decent guy, too. Fingers crossed that they break the mold a little bit and they don't have 4 kids right away. I bet if they don't pile on kids right away, they would enjoy spending time together. Second, schmoopy love songs are my kryptonite, but I begrudgingly admit that this was a little charming.

I watched this episode with my 12 year old son and had to explain to him what the Duggars were all about. It was like he was watching aliens.

Fingers crossed that they break the mold a little bit and they don't have 4 kids right away. I bet if they don't pile on kids right away, they would enjoy spending time together.

They won't break any mold...they will have a kid by this time next year....and many more after that.

Sorry to say, but these fundie girls are all about hair, modest fashion, engagements, wedding showers, weddings, baby showers, childbirth, babies, and homeschooling. Those are their hobbies/interests/goals all rolled up together.

• Love 1

I really liked Derrick, but seeing him practice the proposal with Michelle really disappointed me.  I wish he would grow a pair and tell the whole bunch of them to f*** off.  Michelle has to be the center of everything!  I half expect her to be in their bed with them on Saturday night.

And all this nauseating chatter about how the couple sets the standards of their courtship, and "accountability" makes me ill.  In this day and age, who the hell cares if they full out hug, or hold hands and kiss?  THEY ARE ADULTS!!  Pay attention to the kids that need you, JimBoob and Michelle!

And the nursing home visit?  When I visit, I help the people who need assistance eating, play games, talk about THEIR family pictures, watch Lawrence Welk with them, push somebody outside for some fresh air.

These a**holes walk in and say "We have 19 kids!"  I so wanted somebody to say "Who the hell cares?"

You useless, self-important morons!

• Love 4

Hopefully since he is currently disgraced he'll have the good sense to stay home.  Good sense being highly lacking with these people who knows but maybe he won't speak.

• Love 1