Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: Meri Drops a Bomb

• Start Topic

The Browns meet with a potential investor for their jewelry line; Christine's daughter Mykelti brings a boyfriend home; and Meri's revelation could ruin her relationship with another sister wife.

And we all must support Robyn because this Mickey-Mouse website is her "dream." And yet, when Meri says finishing college is her dream, Robyn can only think of how it affects her. I can't believe it, but Robyn made me side with Meri. I guess the woman really is magic.

• Love 9

Janelle:  "We looked like idiots".

Gee, ya think?  And this comes a surprise to..........anyone?

I normally like Janelle and she's my favorite of the bunch but if she had as much business acumen as she says she does wouldn't she know better than to walk into a meeting like that without any sort of prospectus or pitch or documentation. Also, how do you not have a business plan together at this point? At least Janelle had the sense to admit it while the others turned it into Brown-speak with the whole "reset" and "jumpstart" their business. It was nice that their VC friend was understanding even though the Browns were essentially asking for free business planning advice but they truly did look like idiots.

• Love 1

I think KoDouche saw Woody Harrelson in Hunger Games and thought he would look cool like that. Then he realized he didn't and made up the BS about Meri liking Keith Urban to blame it on her. And Janelle getting the hots for his pony tell? So much for her being the "smart" one. Ain't a smart one in the bunch, except for the kids. Loved Mariah saying they could have sex but not kiss. She was actually funny.

• Love 3

Madison looked great. Mariah looked awful. Fake brown hair plus bangs? Just no. I am still bugged by her twitter bio...."just your average tv star" or something like that.

Janelle looked great too. She is my fave.

I was so looking forward to tonight's episode. And we didn't get much....

I think we all expect too much from Janelle financially. Just because she worked for the state and is the only one who cares, doesn't make her CFO material. Not fair to her. Remember the years of charging up cards and bankruptcies? Janelle was part of the family then.

• Love 2

Between the hormones and the brushing off aspergers - Kody is more punchable than ever.

On the plus side - I'm finally on board with Meri! Thank god she seems to be pulling out of her bitchy controlling depression and standing up for herself.

And I'm happy for Jenelle that she seems to be the hot wife now. I get it ... sometimes an obese partner is not attractive to you and it's no ones fault. Now she just needs to feel her self worth in a career as well.

Mykelti (sp?) is getting very pretty, but she and Mariah look better with their natural lighter hair color. I think old dad is a fool if he thinks his kids aren't out kissing.

It seems like an edgier more real season, and I'm into it! And I find it a hell of a lot more interesting than that dopey other plyg family show.

Between the hormones and the brushing off aspergers - Kody is more punchable than ever.

On the plus side - I'm finally on board with Meri! Thank god she seems to be pulling out of her bitchy controlling depression and standing up for herself.

And I'm happy for Jenelle that she seems to be the hot wife now. I get it ... sometimes an obese partner is not attractive to you and it's no ones fault. Now she just needs to feel her self worth in a career as well.

Mykelti (sp?) is getting very pretty, but she and Mariah look better with their natural lighter hair color. I think old dad is a fool if he thinks his kids aren't out kissing.

It seems like an edgier more real season, and I'm into it! And I find it a hell of a lot more interesting than that dopey other plyg family show.

I hope every Asperger's parent that will lodges a complaint about Kody's stupid remark. I did like the interaction between Dayton and Kody though.

• Love 1
(edited)

Kody and I share a common home state, one that has been in the national news recently for rejecting science standards that teach, you know, science. I was tempted for a moment last night to find a clip of "hormones through the mouth" as evidence that we might need to reconsider that. :)

I'm a few to several years older than Kody. (Of all the totally useless crap I carry in my brain, Kody Brown's age isn't among it. For that I am eternally grateful.). I'm pretty sure we would have blasted that one during the "miracle of our changing bodies" talk in fourth or fifth grade - at least in the talk the girls had. Maybe they covered that in the "boys" version. ;)

Then again, my hometown was nothing like Kody's. For an additional bit of context, google "Dr. John Story."

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 1
(edited)

Wow, it's really all about Kody (and his hair), isn't it? Everyone's birthday and anniversary is an opportunity to bask in the greatness that is Kody. And what is up with everyone's obsession with his hair? He is a middle aged balding wanna be surfer dude. THe women ooh and ahh over his hair, it's weird. 

Kody feels romantic with Janelle? In what world? My  guess is the Kodester has been reading message boards and blogs full of messages bout how he and Janelle had zero attraction for each other. His "renewed feelings" proclamation sounded more like yes we do have sex to all the naysayers. And when did he get his medical license?. I guess he knows more than the doctors about Dayton's problems. What arrogance! And I can't even go there with the hormones through the mouth thing.

THe level at which the Browns believe that the world owes them something is astounding. So they went into a pitch meeting with no pitch and then wanted help? Uh, I think not. And Kody was mad because the contactor who was giving them an estimate on the Lehi house remodel didn't create a full scale architectural drawing? Newflash, jackass, you haven't hired him yet, why should he do that? It's not like you are building a skyscraper and architects are bidding on the job. For once Meri's bitchitude was justified. 

Janelle looks great. Meri looks awful. I hope she finds something that makes her happy. I just wonder if school is it. Robyn is mad because she is dumb and now that shitty joke of a business is squarely on her shoulders. So what does she do? Instead of rising to the challenge, she does the passive aggressive move of telling Kody that there won't be a baby.  I swear these women strategize against each other for control constantly. Except perhaps Janelle, who is over it. 

THis show screams of desperation to have a storyline. If it gets cancelled and the TLC money stops flowing, then how can they afford to pay the mortgages on the compound? My Sister Wives Closet is a storyline, nothing more. Can you imagine if Kody and the others actually had to get a job. 

The question of the night is "what's in Kody's ever present backpack?" At first I thought it was changes of clothes an toiletries, but he carried the damn thing to a restaurant. What's up with that?

Edited by poeticlicensed
  • Love 2
(edited)

Well, Robyn may have finally unseated Meri as my least favorite Brown wife. I am just over her and her delusions about My Sister Wives Closet. She acts like it's this amazing business and it's going to take care of the family, but she's the only one putting any work into it. Boo fucking hoo. She is cracked out of her mind if she thinks they're going to have stores one day. STORES. Plural. Yea right. I can't wait to see what the investors have to say. I bet no one will offer them a dime. Then she has the nerve to pull the baby card and act like a petulant little brat. I don't know what the other wives are doing with their time. It's quite possible Jenelle is back to working daily, bringing actual money into the house. And Christine has always seemed to content to be a SAHM, which is fine. She needs to stop throwing a fit if the joory business isn't everyone's priority. 

And then.....the way she reacted to Meri going back to school. I actually think school will be good for Meri. She needs to have something to occupy her time now that her daughter is gone. She might very well be able to get back into working in a career she enjoys and making decent money while she's at it. But is Robyn cognizent of any of that? Is she supportive? No. It's all about how Meri was the only one she had really suckered into backing her stupid joory idea and now SHE'S abandoning ship as well, and poor Robyn. She has to take on the world by herself. Waaaaah. 

I'm glad to see Jenelle happy and in a good place with Kody. It's about time. And, I'm just going to say it - I LIKE Kody with the pony tail. I think his face is best suited to not having a bunch of hair weighing it down. He looks so much better with it all pulled back. I don't really care for pony tails on men; I think he would look best if he just shaved it. But having it off of his face really looked a lot better than that werewolf mess he's been sporting for years. Oh....and the Keith Urban look? No, just no.

The talk with the teenagers was so awkward. Hormones going into your mouth???? I was really quite disappointed to see the Brown parents are going to be as rigid as the Duggars when it comes to dating, with this stupid no-hand-holding business. I had thought Kody was a bit more relaxed and enlightened than that. Of course, they're usually pretty good about letting the kids make choices for themselves, so we'll see. But I just find these standards so extreme. I get that you don't want to see your kids hurt. No parent does! Trust me, I get it. But....getting hurt is a part of life. It's a part of growing up and learning to navigate relationships, figure out what you want from one and how to have a healthy one, etc. You may spare your daughter from being hurt by a high school boyfriend, but it's quite possible you're setting her up to be devastated in marriage. 

Oh, and Kody - the reason "it" works at such a young age is because years and years ago people NEEDED to have babies that young, as they did not live nearly as long. So there's your science. 

Edited by ghoulina
  • Love 5
Oh, and Kody - the reason "it" works at such a young age is because years and years ago people NEEDED to have babies that young, as they did not live nearly as long. So there's your science.

This, plus back when this country had mainly an agricultural economy, people needed to have lots of babies as soon as possible to be manual labor on the family farm. Last time I looked, I didn't see any fields that needed harvesting in the cul-de-sac.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Kody and I share a common home state, one that has been in the national news recently for rejecting science standards that teach, you know, science. I was tempted for a moment last night to find a clip of "hormones through the mouth" as evidence that we might need to reconsider that. :)

I'm a few to several years older than Kody. (Of all the totally useless crap I carry in my brain, Kody Brown's age isn't among it. For that I am eternally grateful.). I'm pretty sure we would have blasted that one during the "miracle of our changing bodies" talk in fourth or fifth grade - at least in the talk the girls had. Maybe they covered that in the "boys" version. ;)

Then again, my hometown was nothing like Kody's. For an additional bit of context, google "Dr. John Story."

Actually, he is right about kissing.

http://www.wired.com/2009/02/kissingscience/

• Love 1
I'm glad to see Janelle happy and in a good place with Kody. It's about time. And, I'm just going to say it - I LIKE Kody with the pony tail. I think his face is best suited to not having a bunch of hair weighing it down. He looks so much better with it all pulled back. I don't really care for pony tails on men; I think he would look best if he just shaved it. But having it off of his face really looked a lot better than that werewolf mess he's been sporting for years. Oh....and the Keith Urban look? No, just no.

I also like Kody better with a pony tail than that awful mess he sports, but I like pony tails on men.  He looks much neater this way.  I also agree that he'd look good with it shaved, or at least cropped closer to his head.  He looks ridiculous with that scraggly mop!!  I have a question about Dayton.  Did I miss when he hurt his right eye?  He appears to have a large scar across that eye and his eyelid has been closed in the last several episodes.  I realize the beginning of last night's episode was filmed last fall, so he may look different now.  I just don't remember him having a closed eyelid before, but he wasn't really shown in many episodes during the first couple seasons.  

have a question about Dayton.  Did I miss when he hurt his right eye?  He appears to have a large scar across that eye and his eyelid has been closed in the last several episodes.  I realize the beginning of last night's episode was filmed last fall, so he may look different now.  I just don't remember him having a closed eyelid before, but he wasn't really shown in many episodes during the first couple seasons.

I've been trying to search via Google, see if anyone anywhere has found anything out about it - and no luck. But people are claiming he had a black and blue eye back in the Dec episodes when they first got their homes. That was quite a long time ago. I wonder if he has had permanent damage to his eye? I'm also wondering if whatever happened, Mr. Jessop did not sign off for it to be discussed on the show. Because I can't see these fame whores denying an opportunity to amp up the drama. 

(edited)

I had the same question about Dayton. In addition to a scratch or scar, there also seemed to be some bruising in the outer corner, in last night's episode.

Actually, he is right about kissing.

http://www.wired.com/2009/02/kissingscience/

Discover Magazine agrees:

18  The exchange of saliva could provide a reproductive advantage for males. During an open-mouthed kiss, a man passes a bit of testosterone to his partner. Over weeks and months, repeated kissing could enhance a female's libido, making her more receptive to sex.​

I have a soft spot for Meri, so she hasn't usually gotten on my nerves. I was glad to see her drop her bomb. To me, their Sister Wives' Closet business is a non-starter, or at least, a finite opportunity, because once the show goes off the air (and how much longer can it continue?), how viable can it be? Although I suppose it's a better choice than a fitness center. Were I joining a fitness center, I would want the owners to be…fit. Maybe Janelle could revisit that option in a few years, provided she continues in her healthy lifestyle.

Edited by CindyMcLennan
  • Love 1

Robyn really annoyed me this episode.  She had to read a book about parenting, to realize you should talk with your kids?!  And then Kody plops down in bed next to one of her girls and asks in an exasperated tone "Okay, what are we talking about?"  I doubt that was the sort of "talking with your kids" that the parenting book was referring to.  It also bothered me how she refers to Kody as "dad" to her kids.  They have a dad, and its not him. 

When she said she can't have another baby unless she gets more help with the stupid jewelry business, I wanted to smack something.  And her TH about that discussion frustrated me even more.  She said "Dude... I just said I want a kid." or something like that.  No... you said you DON'T want a kid, because you can't handle it on top of your busy life.  She's not even trying to hide her passive-aggressiveness, and twisted games.

Janelle was the only one to know to feel foolish, after the meeting with the investors.  I think the rest of them were so delusional, they thought they had achieved something, just by putting on some nice clothes and attending a meeting; except for Meri and the nice clothes.  She only threw on some jeans.   

• Love 6

If Mykelti and what's-his-name have been spending so much time together, I'm guessing the no kissing talk is a bit late. I, too, was surprised to hear Kody sounding so much like the Duggars. The Brown kids now go to public school and are enrolled in college so they are more liberal about some things.

I think that it's pretty sad that Meri was hesitant to tell people that she wanted to go back to school.  This was a decision that should make people happy for her, and here Robyn is ready to just get up and walk out the door.  Seriously, you are pissed off because your friend is going back to school and doing something that will make her happy?  This family is totally messed up. 

That speech that Kody gave about hormones going into your mouth and such was all sorts of cringey.  It was so awkward that I had to hold my hands over my eyes in embarrassment for Kody.  How those teens kept straight faces, I'm not sure.  Actually, maybe they didn't.  Like I said, my hands were over my eyes.

I thought it was funny that Robyn said that she couldn't have another kid unless she got more help with the jewelry business.  First of all, the other wives probably don't necessarily want you to have another baby, so this type of threat is not exactly the best motivation to get them to help you.  Second of all, I doubt she is on birth control, so besides withholding sex, I'm not sure there's much she can do to actually stop herself from getting pregnant.  If the Browns are putting a ton of their own money into the jewelry business, then it is not turning a profit.  Just let it go, Brown family, let it go.

I thought Madison's hair looked really cute this season, and I'm glad that it looks like she might be on the show more often (based on the preview at the end).  I think the kids are probably the most interesting part of the show.

"My Sister Wives Closet" isn't even well marketed to fans on the show or anyone who might be interested in buying polygamous (or even polyamorous) themed jewellery, it's on the 3rd page of my "Sister wives" google. They have no business plan and no publicity apart from endlessly whining about it on the show, why should Meri have to give up constructive college plans to promote ugly jewellery that it seems very few people want. Robyn could do that by herself. It seems like its just an attempt to "direct" the family more than anything. 

• Love 2

I think that it's pretty sad that Meri was hesitant to tell people that she wanted to go back to school.  This was a decision that should make people happy for her, and here Robyn is ready to just get up and walk out the door.  Seriously, you are pissed off because your friend is going back to school and doing something that will make her happy?  This family is totally messed up. .

Friend? Maybe because they're not friends. They're sister wives, or so they keep telling us in all of their protestations, their religion, their show, their "family mission statement," and their stupid joory business. If they are one big family, as they claim, then they need to make decisions as a family, and that benefit and support the family. But of course they're not. They are four individual families, each headed by a single mother, with a Lothario Baby Daddy who house and bed hops.

• Love 3

I have to agree that this officially made Robin to slip into least favorite for me. I feel like it's been pretty clear from the start that this was her baby (per se) and the other wives have been supportive, but it's been how long and they haven't made much progress, can she really blame them for jumping ship? I mean they did it a lot faster to Janelle and the gym pipe dream...I'm surprised the jewelry has lasted this long. I kinda want to go all mean girls and tell Robin "quit trying to make my sister wives closet a thing"

• Love 3
(edited)
So they went into a pitch meeting with no pitch

How dreadful!!

I would really love to know what about My Sister Wives Closet (which WTF?!? at the name) is so all consuming to Robyn? WORST. BUSINESS. IDEA. EVER! The jewelry business is saturated enough and really there is no brand loyalty when it comes to these type of consumer products. Then she tops worse on top of bad by making the concept even more damn narrow by relating it to a marital practice (plural marriage) that is rare to say the least. Bethanny Frankel she ain't. I can't put the blame solely on her either. All the wives and Kody seem to be banking on it if they are going to present it to venture capitalists.

What a passive aggressive POS Robyn is to link that fail of a business to a possible baby.

Kody is such an idiot about everything, but in this instance, I am talking specifically about the house in Lehi. If he wants detailed blueprints then he needs to engage an architect not a damn general contractor. I was surprised that Meri had tears of frustration in her eyes. Was it that damn deep? Plus, I thought at that point she should have just told Kody to talk with the contractor directly instead of being a go-between. Besides, what does Kody do all day besides running from house to house being an ineffectual husband and father?  Surely between his hair grooming routine and awkward tuck ins, he has time for one simple phone call to explain what he wants to see? 

I am really seeing the weight lost on Janelle now. It is starting to show in her face. I thought Meri looked like she lost some weight too but her face tanner and horrible makeup overpower everything.

Edited by islandgal
  • Love 1

Are these people smoking crack with their plans for that "business?"  Their own brick & mortar store dedicated to their brand?  The gross sales don't lie, I can't imagine the demand for this stuff going anything past "novelty item." 

No VC would touch them with a 10 foot pole!

• Love 2

Yes, when Janelle turns her head, she looks like one of her daughters in profile.  I never saw it before (except the wide set eyes). 

Mariah scored a lot of points with me last night.  College is loosening her up.  Getting free of her mom's grasp even moreso, most likely.

I can see why Janelle and Kody are in a good place.  Look at the others -- Robyn is yammering about the jewelry business and needing suppooooooooort!  Christine is running him ragged about quality time with each of his 700 children and trying to cram a week's worth of family time into the four hours he's at her house, and Meri's sobbing about Mariah.  He goes to Janelle's, sits down, puts his feet up, and she probably sits companionably beside him and brings him bowls of ice cream and popcorn.  What's not to like?

I want to know what's in the damn backpack.  Does he carry his dirty clothes from place to place?  If he can own four freakin' homes, he can have a couple of pair of jeans, underwear and three shirts in each one, can't he? 

• Love 1
(edited)

What I found interesting was Kody admitting that he and Janelle were in a pragmatic relationship, but now it’s romantic.  I’ve always felt their “union” was for religious reasons only.  I believe Janelle always had romantic feelings for Kody, but the feeling wasn’t mutual.  Wish I were a fly on the wall when Meri and Robyn heard that comment.

Edited by Adeejay

i think this is a controlling move on Meri's part.  She promised to help Robyn with the joory business but with Robyn the most popular this is a way to be sure she fails and falls in Kody's esteem.  Little did Meri realize that already seems to be happening.

Maybe, but even if goes back to college she could still help out at their business, especially as its not very busy. Lets face it the business is failing anyway. Although she might use college as a reason she can't if/when she doesn't want to. Wasn't Meri studying part time when the show started?

• Love 1

Is it just me that thinks it is perfectly okay for a teenager/young adult to experience heartbreak?  That is a healthy part of growing up.  Otherwise you grow up.... wait for it... DELUSIONAL!!!! You have 5 adults in this family, and how delusional are they?  I dated my high school sweetheart for 6 years, and everything the modern person expects to happen in a relationship like that, happened.  And when we broke up, was I heartbroken?  YES.  Am I glad about it?  YES.  However, at least they were talking about it.

YAY Meri for wanting to go back to school.

As for Robyn, ya know, there are a lot of women who have no one else in their life to depend on, have families, own businesses or work full time, and they do things just fine.  You have people to help you out with your kids, your house, your business (even one day a week of help is help), and more.  I went to school with women who were single mothers working a full time job, a part time job, going to school full time AND had children.  Guess what Robyn, YOU DON'T HAVE IT THAT BAD. 

• Love 7
(edited)
Is it just me that thinks it is perfectly okay for a teenager/young adult to experience heartbreak?  That is a healthy part of growing up.  Otherwise you grow up.... wait for it... DELUSIONAL!!!! You have 5 adults in this family, and how delusional are they?  I dated my high school sweetheart for 6 years, and everything the modern person expects to happen in a relationship like that, happened.  And when we broke up, was I heartbroken?  YES.  Am I glad about it?  YES.  However, at least they were talking about it.

Thank you for saying this, spidermiss2426. My heartbreaks have made me who I am, and while they did hurt, I'm a better person for them. While I understand any parents (religious or not), not wanting their children sexually involved with their dating partners, and while I don't want my own children to ever have their hearts broken, heartbreak is, overall, good for a person. At least for me, it taught me compassion, perspective, and a whole host of things.

Edited by CindyMcLennan
  • Love 2

Holy crap, watching the show now and I'm shocked about how much the ponytail improves Kody! I'm completely with Janelle. I've never found him attractive before, but he was - dare I say it - almost handsome. 

Part of that may be the fact that I love short hair on guys anyway, and part may be that I've always been a big Janelle fan, so whatever makes her happy makes me happy. But also....he just looks better that way! =D

• Love 2

Is it just me that thinks it is perfectly okay for a teenager/young adult to experience heartbreak?  That is a healthy part of growing up.  Otherwise you grow up.... wait for it... DELUSIONAL!!!! You have 5 adults in this family, and how delusional are they? 

Everything about that "talk" was ridiculous. And did Kody date when he was a teenager? I know polygamists marry young, so were Meri and Kody young sweethearts or marry young?

Also, I just have to say that Robyn's passive-aggressive speech to Kody about not having another baby because she's so busy was the most blatant display of manipulation I have ever seen on reality tv!

• Love 2

Even though Kody gave his kids the "Duggar talk" about hand holding, kissing, etc., the kids basically laughed at him.  I'm sure they will do what they want, just not in front of Kody.  The Duggar kids would (could?) never do that.  The remark about it apparently being OK to have sex but not kiss was hilarious.

• Love 2

I'm not normally in "Yay, Meri" mode, but the decision to go back to school is a great one. I hope she sticks with it. (Why do I feel that may be far from a sure thing?) We've heard her talk about the work that she enjoyed often enough. Something else that fulfills her - and provides additional income - can't be a bad thing. So... "Yay, Meri."

• Love 1

Is that referring to his whole head or just his hair?

Or maybe something a **little** bit lower?   Seriously, however, I say just shave his head.  Kody is going bald anyway-- I had not known that before last night when the pony tail came out.  And I'm not sure WHY Kody needed help from Janelle in order to put his pony tail up.  Ever since my Mom died, my Dad started to wear a pony tail, and he does fine putting it up by himself.  As an ex military man, he'd kept it short until recently.

That whole ridiculous talk with the teens was just cringe-worthy.  And then implies that he has expertise in BOTH biology and chemistry so apparently what he says must be the gospel truth.  

We all get hurt and we all learn from it.  So what's his idea - no touching until the wedding night.  Got news, dude, your kids think you are a total fool but have more maturity than you do not to show it to your face. But loved them doing the TH and laughing about the whole sex scene.

• Love 1

I'm not normally in "Yay, Meri" mode, but the decision to go back to school is a great one. I hope she sticks with it. (Why do I feel that may be far from a sure thing?) We've heard her talk about the work that she enjoyed often enough. Something else that fulfills her - and provides additional income - can't be a bad thing. So... "Yay, Meri."

How is it providing income? Isn't it rather costing money?

That's what bothers me about Queen Meri - the exalted financial status she seems to enjoy. She lives in a mansion by herself, her daughter goes to private school, she now is entering school, all while her sister wives and their kids are undoubtedly cutting corners and are not or will not be afforded the same opportunities. I'll never forget the scene when Christine was lamenting a vacation matter, and Kody told her to take money out of her grocery budget! Groceries! To feed her 10 or more kids! But God forbid Meri sacrifice her wet bar or French doors in order to financially help her "family."

I hate Meri's spoiled selfishness, but it really is all Kody's fault. There should be one family budget, not four, and the money should be divided by and doled out by the # of kids in the household, not the wives.

• Love 9