Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: Costume Competition

An employee costume competition is announced, and Amy and Mateo aren't afraid to play dirty to win first prize, which is a paid day off. Meanwhile, Glenn is preoccupied by Cloud 9's new automatic cart collector, and Garrett is tormented by an annoying Halloween novelty song.

Original air date: October 25, 2018

I thought Jonah was Spider-Man Splat. 

28 minutes ago, WednesdayAddams said:

Loved that Dina wore the vice cop costume again, even though she's hugely pregnant!

Yeah, I loved that. Too bad Garrett didn't enter the competition, I would have voted for him. Mateo looked really good. Like, dude's skin is flawless.

• Love 15
18 minutes ago, festivus said:

I thought Jonah was Spider-Man Splat. 

Yeah, I loved that. Too bad Garrett didn't enter the competition, I would have voted for him. Mateo looked really good. Like, dude's skin is flawless.

1- Love your name. 2- I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices his skin. Seriously, jealous!

• Love 3

I am wondering if this episode was written very recently?  What with the whole Megyn Kelly brouhaha over "black-face", was this show snarking on political correctness?  I found it a funny episode, but I was going "hmmm".  And Myrtle again as a Hologram.  The funniest part for me were the electric carts following Glenn around!  Robots taking over the world.

• Love 7

I love hitting pause every year on the Halloween episodes to see what everyone's wearing. Dina looked hot as always, and I remember her mentioning last season about needing money from Glenn to tailor her clothes to fit the pregnancy and then un-tailor them afterward, so I felt like her costume modifications this year were a subtle nod to that. Love how easily she's taking to pregnancy.

Amy was exceptionally annoying this episode. And hers was by far the least interesting costume. But Jonah cheating for her was endearing.

Jonah having a typically obscure and pretentious costume is always funny, although I think Brexit was his best one.

Mateo's costume was amazing! Justine as a red pepper! I loved Janet as a flower too. I wish they'd give her more to do. That's the first time I've heard Elias speak.

I loved Garrett's complaining about the same songs playing over and over. When I worked in a movie theater concessions stand, there was a loop of about 10 different advertisements playing loudly over and over, all day. It drove us all nuts.

Brett with the Monster Mash on the boom box!

• Love 9

I truly have no clue if this show was actually trying to "say" anything about cultural appropriation in Halloween costumes and what is and is not appropriate, but I was dying at Marcus in his Bob Marley outfit getting up and doing a very serious talk about the history of Rastafarian culture in his fake dreadlocks. 

I loved all of the costumes, they fit everyone super well. Cheyenne has the sexy outfit, Dina still wears her sexy cop outfit (looking fabulous!), Mateo has an elaborate reference to glam Hollywood, Jonah has the hot take hard to figure out costume again, Amy doesn't care until she can win, etc. I vote for Mateo as my best costume! It was so elaborate! 

I can seriously relate to Garrett losing his mind about the same songs. They did the same thing at the place I worked at in High School around Christmas, and it drove me up the wall!

• Love 16

I can't listen to Back in Black ever since it was on heavy repeat at my work over 10 years ago.

When Amy was sitting in the chair next to Garrett at the beginning of the episode, I thought she was in a wheelchair and dressed as him.

• Love 5

Very entertaining episode. I like a joke thats carefully built up during the episode and the contest and Jonah's costume culminating in him cheating for his girl Amy was great. It is also lovely to get Halloween episodes where we see lot of different costumes, especially when its a mix between current trends and classics. (I am not American, so the whole Halloween-hype is usually not my thing, but I appreciate a good fancy dress party)

I also vote Garrett for best costume!

Edited by Aulty
  • Love 6
14 hours ago, EarlGreyTea said:

I loved Garrett's complaining about the same songs playing over and over.

Reminds me of my grocery store clerk days at Christmas where I heard the same songs about 5 times a day. Not every 10 minutes thank goodness!

14 hours ago, EarlGreyTea said:

And hers was by far the least interesting costume.

Yeah, her costume was something you can pick up at any Halloween store. Mateo's was hands down the best.

I always like Jonah's lame costumes and this year was no different.

• Love 4

Jonah having a typically obscure and pretentious costume is always funny, although I think Brexit was his best one.

I totally forgot about Brexit. I would never have guessed Gerry Mander either so it's a lucky thing he had to explain it. But yeah, I appreciate the running gag. Truthfully I liked Garret's Clark Kent costume the best, with the tie permanently blowing back. That cracked me up. Mateo's costume was good but I swear I've seen that costume on some other TV show before.

• Love 6
17 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I am wondering if this episode was written very recently?  What with the whole Megyn Kelly brouhaha over "black-face", was this show snarking on political correctness?

This isn't a new issue by any means. It's just serendipity for the show that Megyn Kelly happened to be an idiot a few days before this episode aired.

I loved the costume pageant with everyone trying to sell their costumes as seriously honoring some other culture.  Marcus's face was priceless.  And Justine's pepper dance was great too.

18 hours ago, 17wheatthins said:

Yes, it was a real song LOL

I don't know whether to "like" this or not, lol.  Poor Garrett.  I only spent one summer in a retail job, so I never got the joy of a corporately-mandated seasonal playlist.  I died when he got put on hold for the fifth time and "Halloween Surfboard" started playing.

This is the first year I couldn't figure out Jonah's costume.  I'm going to blame it on the district lines being so blurry.  Yeah.

• Love 14

I love this show's Halloween episodes, they're great. I still love the random customer that was dressed up as the cloud 9 guy who turned out to be a cannibal.

I feel for Garrett; I worked at a movie theater the summer Legally Blonde came out and had to listen to "it's a perfect day..." over and over and over every day I worked. 

• Love 7

Let me tell you, I was yearning for Halloween Surfboard during trick-or-treat tonight (our community does it the Friday before Halloween so parents don’t have to send tired kids with sugar hangovers to school the next day). My neighbor goes in big for Halloween—graveyard on the lawn, lights, music—but he’s terrible with the music, so he played the same 5 songs over and over for 2 hours. Including, inexplicably, Michael Jackson’s Billie Jean...we think he was trying for Thriller, but somehow pulled the wrong track into his pathetic mix.  Urrrrrgh.

Edited by Lovecat
  • Love 5
On 2018-10-25 at 8:21 PM, BuckeyeLou said:

I am wondering if this episode was written very recently?  What with the whole Megyn Kelly brouhaha over "black-face", was this show snarking on political correctness?  I found it a funny episode, but I was going "hmmm".  And Myrtle again as a Hologram.  The funniest part for me were the electric carts following Glenn around!  Robots taking over the world.

If i'm not mistaken the show was filming the 7th episode during premiere week so this episode was written a long time ago.

• Love 1
On 10/27/2018 at 9:09 PM, OpalNightstream said:

Amy is getting mean and unlikeable. Jonah’s face when she was doing her Mario impression was so funny. 

6 hours ago, Lukeysboat said:

She is by far my least favorite character. 

I don’t think the writers know what to do with Amy anymore. In the first season, she was buttoned up and serious, but when she got drunk or relaxed around Jonah, we had a chance to learn more about her and see her vulnerable side. I don’t see anymore of the vulnerability. Or when the show attempts to make Amy vulnerable, it’s cringeworthy: eg her Oscar party or listening to her insult people who gave her a baby shower gift.

I like Amy only because it’s America Ferrera. 

• Love 11
20 hours ago, topanga said:

I like Amy only because it’s America Ferrera. 

Same here. And the baby stuff is only making me less interested in Amy. I really do love America Ferrera and the show though, so I'm hoping they get it together with her character.

• Love 7

As a Rastafarian, I found this episode shockingly offensive with its erroneous portrayal of Rasta Far I faith...All Jamaicans are not Rasta and not all Rastas are Jamaican...Also, the idiocy of having someone malign my faith (world renowned for One Love) with a scripted false doctrine that was so racist and repugnant, I refuse to repeat here - even in print - was so despicable to me I want to curse them...Just know this: JAH will not be mocked, so I will advise those heathen writers of Superstore and the morons in charge of programming at NBC to read and heed Psalm 2 and stop such irreverant foolishness before they all find themselves out of luck and out of work - The Rest Is Up To You!

• Love 1
10 hours ago, I FAR I said:

As a Rastafarian, I found this episode shockingly offensive with its erroneous portrayal of Rasta Far I faith...

But that was the point of the episode. Many of the employees were dressed up as people of different ethnic or spiritual backgrounds. Amy and Mateo pointed it out, but only because they were trying to win the costume contest. 

• Love 9
On 10/31/2018 at 9:03 PM, I FAR I said:

As a Rastafarian, I found this episode shockingly offensive with its erroneous portrayal of Rasta Far I faith...All Jamaicans are not Rasta and not all Rastas are Jamaican...Also, the idiocy of having someone malign my faith (world renowned for One Love) with a scripted false doctrine that was so racist and repugnant, I refuse to repeat here - even in print - was so despicable to me I want to curse them...Just know this: JAH will not be mocked, so I will advise those heathen writers of Superstore and the morons in charge of programming at NBC to read and heed Psalm 2 and stop such irreverant foolishness before they all find themselves out of luck and out of work - The Rest Is Up To You!

If this were reddit, I'd put a r/whooosh here lol

• Love 3
On 10/27/2018 at 3:04 PM, LadyNebula said:

I feel Garrett. The worst repeat song I ever dealt with was a Christmas duet between Rosie O'Donnell and Ricky Martin. It was called,"Ai-Yi-Yi, It's Christmas."  Drink that combo in. 

Oh God. I haven't thought of it in years, but suddenly I have "Put a Little Holiday in Your Heart" by LeAnn Rimes stuck in my head. Christmas 1996, she did some kind of album exclusive to KMart, where I worked at the time. All. Dang. Day. for like 6 weeks. (Because that was at least long enough ago that Christmas didn't really start until just before Thanksgiving.)

• Love 1

I love the Halloween episodes, and particularly the recurring gag of Dina in the same costume. I remember wanting to stab the loudspeaker at several retail jobs after listening to the same thing over and over, but the worst was when they got a bagpipe player to play the bagpipes all day long. It was not great.

I feel like Superstore does its best work when they have the ensemble discussing something that goes entirely off the rails. The discussion in the breakroom had me cracking up. Also, that Cheyenne assumed Sandra wears a coconut bra all day. 

On 10/25/2018 at 9:46 PM, PityFree said:

Boo for Jonah cheating Cheyenne out of her win.

I loved Garret and Mateo's costumes the most.

I hate it that Jonah screwed over Cheyenne so Amy could win.  I hate that a guy doing terrible things for a woman he loves is romantic. 

It is too bad that Garret was so distracted by the song. He would definitely love a day off and he had one of the best costumes.